PDA

View Full Version : MCC Allegro Championship

Grant Szuveges
12-10-2010, 11:07 PM
MELBOURNE CHESS CLUB

ALLEGRO CHAMPIONSHIP

WHEN: Saturday 20th November and Sunday 21st November

WHERE: Melbourne Chess Club, 66 Leicester St Fitzroy

FORMAT: 13 round Swiss: Rounds 1-7 on Saturday from 2pm-6pm and Rounds 8-13 on Sunday from 2pm-6pm.

PRIZES: The following prizes are based on a field of 30 entries. Larger/more prizes may be offered if the field is larger.
1st: $200 and title (MCC Allegro Champion)
2nd: $100
3rd: $50
4th: $30
5th: $20
Rating Groups A, B and C: $30, $20 and $10 in each.

ENTRY FEES: $20 for MCC members, $30 non-members.

SPONSOR: The Gypsy Bar, Brunswick St Fitzroy.

FURTHER QUESTIONS: Please call Grant Szuveges on 0401-925-075.

ER
12-10-2010, 11:35 PM
MELBOURNE CHESS CLUB

ALLEGRO CHAMPIONSHIP

WHEN: Saturday 20th November and Sunday 21st November

WHERE: Melbourne Chess Club, 66 Leicester St Fitzroy

FORMAT: 13 round Swiss: Rounds 1-7 on Saturday from 2pm-6pm and Rounds 8-13 on Sunday from 2pm-6pm.

PRIZES: The following prizes are based on a field of 30 entries. Larger/more prizes may be offered if the field is larger.
1st: $200 and title (MCC Allegro Champion)
2nd: $100
3rd: $50
4th: $30
5th: $20
Rating Groups A, B and C: $30, $20 and $10 in each.

ENTRY FEES: $20 for MCC members, $30 non-members.

SPONSOR: The Gypsy Bar, Brunswick St Fitzroy.

FURTHER QUESTIONS: Please call Grant Szuveges on 0401-925-075.

Good news! :clap: Count me in please! I got that weekend free and I will use it as a basic part of my preparation for the Gold Coast and Aus Open tournaments!

MichaelBaron
13-10-2010, 10:02 AM
I am 90% in! Just need to make sure that I got nothing else on that Sunday (My saturdays are always left free for the lovely allegros at MCC).

I am particularly pleased about the 2 pm start on both days. We can have mornings for sleeping/jogging/yoga/other kinds of exercise/work/meeting friends - and rock up to the MCC by 2 pm. Personally, I find such a schedule ideal for my lifestyle :). Will confirm my participation within a week or so!

Last year, we had a very good tournament with myself, James, Wallis and little ''Mr I offer a draw'' playing.

ER
13-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Since you claim that ...

I am 90% in! .... (My saturdays are always left free for the lovely allegros at MCC).

could you please remove the dreaded bolded and underlined word? :owned: :lol:

I am particularly pleased about the 2 pm start on both days. We can have mornings for sleeping/jogging/yoga/other kinds of exercise/work/meeting friends - and rock up to the MCC by 2 pm.

Grant Szuveges
14-10-2010, 12:39 AM
Here I go again - writing lists.....

LIST OF ENTRIES:

Paul CAVEZZA
Frank LEKKAS
Elliot RENZIES

ER
20-10-2010, 04:36 PM
I just received notification from the captain of my team (Box Hill) that next round (one after this) of the Victorian Teams Competition coincides with the second day (Sunday 21) of this tournament (MCC Allegro Championship) at "some time after 4:00 pm".

From a personal point of view I don't care because I have already entered for the MCC Allegro the day it was announced by Grant.

After all I can take a break from the Interclub (my team has plenty and better players than myself anyway).

However, of what I understand Sunday 21, will be an ALL-CLUBS-to-be-playing-at-Box-Hill-The Whole Day which means that one of the two / or both tournaments will suffer / gain at the expense or in favour of the other.

I hope there is still time to correct this!

Grant Szuveges
20-10-2010, 05:00 PM
I just received notification from the captain of my team (Box Hill) that next round (one after this) of the Victorian Teams Competition coincides with the second day (Sunday 21) of this tournament (MCC Allegro Championship) at "some time after 4:00 pm".

From a personal point of view I don't care because I have already entered for the MCC Allegro the day it was announced by Grant.

After all I can take a break from the Interclub (my team has plenty and better players than myself anyway).

However, of what I understand Sunday 21, will be an ALL-CLUBS-to-be-playing-at-Box-Hill-Day which means that one of the two / or both tournaments will suffer / gain at the expense or in favour of the other.

I hope there is still time to correct this!

Leonid Sandler mentioned this to me a few days ago actually - but we have a "get out clause".... Unfortunately we cant move our event (we simply have no other appropriate times for it). However what we are offering, is an "approved withdrawal". This means that if a player needs to go off to Box Hill for the Vic teams champs, they can withdraw from our event when they need to. So if the games at Box Hill start at 4pm, then they may withdraw after round 8 or 9 and still get 2 allegro games in on the Sunday. Alternately, the may choose to withdraw after round 7 and not play any Sunday games at all.... We are fine with this. Its no problem. Last year we had a few people who did the same thing. The other choice, as JAK mentioned, was that a different player can fill in for you at the Vic Teams Champs. (perhaps a player who doesnt like the allegro time control)....

Obviously its not an ideal situation, but we have advertised the tournament to be on this weekend since we put the 2010 calendar out (late last year). If it means that a few less players play in the event, then so be it. Clashes happen and we cant usually do anything about them. Fortunately we were able to move the last blitz marathon (which clashed with Croydens weekender) but moving this one is simply impossible. Presumably CV cant move their event either. At least players have the option to play the Saturday part of the event and then withdraw if need be.... Hopefully players will take this option (it may even be good practice for the final round of the teams champs).....

The 2011 MCC Calendar is out already, so hopefully other clubs and chess bodies have a look at it and try to avoid clashes with our events. As I said earlier, clashes are sometimes unavoidable, but if we can all keep them to a minimum then there is more chess for everyone in Melbourne to play more often....

Note that on the 2011 MCC Calendar, we have deliberately left open the date for our MCC Blitz Champs as "to be announced". This is so we avoid a clash with the Victorian Blitz Champs - which CV organises the date for....

The only way for all clashes to be avoided is if all clubs and CV sat down together and did their calendars on the same day - but that would be near impossible to organise, and it may not even avoid some clashes.....

Look at the good side of it - there are 2 events to choose from on Sunday (and you can even play half of one of them on Saturday). Its a nice problem for a chess player to have!!!

Grant Szuveges
31-10-2010, 11:35 PM
List of entries:

Paul CAVEZZA
Frank LEKKAS
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES

MichaelBaron
01-11-2010, 10:37 AM
I am in!

Grant Szuveges
01-11-2010, 04:26 PM
List of entries:

Michael BARON (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Frank LEKKAS
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES

Grant Szuveges
03-11-2010, 01:32 PM
List of entries:

Michael BARON (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Frank LEKKAS
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Tony TOSEVSKI

mikesguns
03-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Im in

Grant Szuveges
10-11-2010, 11:08 PM
List of entries (7)

Michael ADDAMO
Michael BARON (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Frank LEKKAS
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Tony TOSEVSKI

mikesguns
11-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Im not sure if I can play all rounds because the teams championship is on Sunday, so I will see how many I can play

Grant Szuveges
11-11-2010, 11:09 PM
List of entries (9)

Michael ADDAMO
Michael BARON (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Frank LEKKAS
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Tony TOSEVSKI

ER
12-11-2010, 06:15 AM
List of entries (9)

Michael ADDAMO
Michael BARON (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Frank LEKKAS
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Tony TOSEVSKI

A problem here! :( I will let you know if I enter some time on Sunday! :(

Grant Szuveges
14-11-2010, 09:57 PM
List of entries (14)

Michael ADDAMO
Michael BARON (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Adel GHOBRIAL
Jack HUGHES
Tanya KOLAK
Frank LEKKAS
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Andrew SAINT
David TOPOL
Tony TOSEVSKI

MichaelBaron
15-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Dean Hogg and Peter Wolf will also play.

ER
15-11-2010, 11:56 PM
unfortunately I can't make it, I thought I would 've known by (last) Sunday but it was only confirmed earlier today. I hadn't seen the e-mail until now! :(

UrBANE
20-11-2010, 09:12 AM
unfortunately I can't make it, I thought I would 've known by (last) Sunday but it was only confirmed earlier today. I hadn't seen the e-mail until now! :(

I'm in, of course. A tournament like this needs a dragon player.
Note, I have to leave at 5:30 on Sunday, so I may miss the last round (hopefully not).

MichaelBaron
20-11-2010, 09:58 AM
A tournament like this needs a dragon player.
. :D

mikesguns
20-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Note, I have to leave at 5:30 on Sunday, so I may miss the last round (hopefully not).
FYI. The teams championship starts at 4:30.

jhughes
20-11-2010, 11:01 AM
I don't why you were worried. Frank and I were already signed up :P.

Paul Cavezza
20-11-2010, 11:19 AM
This tournament needs a dragon buster....

Paul Cavezza
20-11-2010, 11:21 AM
anyone know one?!

ER
20-11-2010, 11:24 AM
St George???:hmm:

jhughes
20-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Impossible, the dragon is a forced win for black :P.

mikesguns
20-11-2010, 11:38 AM
anyone know one?!
0-0-0 and attack to beat the dragon

UrBANE
20-11-2010, 11:46 AM
0-0-0 and attack to beat the dragon

Bring. It. On.

MichaelBaron
20-11-2010, 12:44 PM

Dragon buster....or dragon baronizer ;)

MichaelBaron
20-11-2010, 12:45 PM
15 min to go....the chess crowd is on the way!

ER
20-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Dragon buster....or dragon baronizer ;)

hmmm :hmm: Braggon comes to mind! :P :lol: :owned:

MichaelBaron
20-11-2010, 01:47 PM
The tournament has started.
We got 26 entries. Good to see many kids playing. Also, its great to see some new faces.

MichaelBaron
20-11-2010, 02:06 PM
On board 2 Tanya Kolak won against Silvester Urban. Also Adel Ghobrial defeated Andrew Saint. Well done, guys! :clap:

ER
20-11-2010, 02:32 PM
On board 2 Tanya Kolak won against Silvester Urban.

He didn't play the Dragon against her did he? :P
BTW I believe Tanya is an extremely talented player and if she continues playing the aggressive style she employs she will be causing more and more upsets!

MichaelBaron
20-11-2010, 03:08 PM
M.Baron- A. Dale 0-1:clap:

ER
20-11-2010, 03:18 PM
M.Baron- A. Dale 0-1:clap:
Well you escaped with a draw last time remember? ;) :P

MichaelBaron
20-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Baron 6/7 A.Dale 5.5/7 Peter Wolf is coming 3d.
Draw for the first round tomorrow will be posted soon!

mikesguns
20-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Baron 6/7 A.Dale 5.5/7 Peter Wolf is coming 3d.
Draw for the first round tomorrow will be posted soon!
Don't forget me on 6/7

Lekko
21-11-2010, 12:03 AM
Don't forget me on 6/7
you're not a contender to win though since you're missing a bunch of games tomorrow

MichaelBaron
21-11-2010, 01:47 AM
Don't forget me on 6/7
Opps, Sorry Michael :). You should really reconsider about playing the team even tomorrow and play all of your games at the allegro champs!

ER
21-11-2010, 06:29 AM
Don't forget me on 6/7

Michael of what I gather from the responses, you should consider yourself lucky for being allowed to enter in the first place! :P :lol:

MichaelBaron
21-11-2010, 12:56 PM
The second day of play is about to start - more reports to follow!

MichaelBaron
21-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Some more interesting results
Cavezza upset Saint. Addamo turned up late and beat Urban...with 4 mins on the clock vs. Silvester's 15! Krunic overcame Ari Dale after a loud dispute

Lekko
21-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Some more interesting results
Cavezza upset Saint. Addamo turned up late and beat Urban...with 4 mins on the clock vs. Silvester's 15! Krunic overcame Ari Dale after a loud dispute
Urban's never going to live that down :\

mikesguns
21-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Urban's never going to live that down :\
I had 3 mins and 27 secs and I used less than 2 mins, but I was lucky he went into a line I knew and if we did it another 9 times he would win the rest

MichaelBaron
21-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Final results 1.Baron 2. Addamo 3. Ari Dale.
The first place was decided in the last round when Addamo surprisingly drew with Tosevsky while being many pawns up. Grant Did an excellent job as an arbiter. All in all, it was a great tournament to play in!

Lekko
21-11-2010, 07:59 PM
The first place was decided in the last round when Addamo surprisingly drew with Tosevsky while being many pawns up. Grant Did an excellent job as an arbiter. All in all, it was a great tournament to play in!
And as a result, we forfeited board 2 =_="

MichaelBaron
21-11-2010, 09:52 PM
And as a result, we forfeited board 2 =_="
Well, he was on 11/12.....and what a victory over Silvester with 3 minutes - was hard to give up...emm..may be you could get your brother to play for the team instead :doh: But ya...sad

Adamski
21-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Yet another "well done" to Michael B!:clap:

Lekko
21-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Well, he was on 11/12.....and what a victory over Silvester with 3 minutes - was hard to give up...emm..may be you could get your brother to play for the team instead :doh: But ya...sad
My brother was playing board 4.

Congrats on retaining the crown :)

ER
21-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Yet another "well done" to Michael B!:clap:
Well now, he is the undisputed Allegro and Blitz champ! :clap:
The question is how long he will last though.
Look at Ari Dale, Michael Addamo and of course IM James Morris! Michael Baron Rules! But for how long? :)

Lekko
21-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Well now, he is the undisputed Allegro and Blitz champ! :clap:
The question is how long he will last though.
Look at Ari Dale, Michael Addamo and of course IM James Morris! Michael Baron Rules! But for how long? :)
I thought Sandler was the blitz champ?

ER
22-11-2010, 12:23 AM
I thought Sandler was the blitz champ?
MCC champ!

Bill Gletsos
22-11-2010, 12:33 AM
I thought Sandler was the blitz champ?He is the current Victorian Blitz Champion.

Grant Szuveges
22-11-2010, 01:19 AM
Michael Baron has won the MCC Allegro Championship for the second year in a row, after being able to outlast a field of contenders after probably not playing as well as he could have. However, in chess one doesnt have to play well - they just have to play well enough... And he managed to do that!

Michael Addamo was having the tournament of his life up until the last round. With himself and Baron both on 11/12, Michael A played far too quickly in a winning ending where he was several pawns up and only managed to draw (against Bosko Tosevski). Meanwhile, Michael B got the job done against Adel Ghobrial to jump into outright first. Michael Addamo's only loss was to Baron, who had previously lost round 3 against Ari Dale. Ari had a great start to the tournament and finished creditably with 3rd place. Sylvester Urban had a bit of a shocker this time - including a first round loss to Tanya Kolak and a strange loss to Addamo who was late and won with only 3 minutes on the clock! Despite Sylvesters not so great tournament, he still managed to come 4th!

Rating group A (under 1700) was shared by Jack Puccini, Finley Dale and Paul Cavezza, while group B (under 1400) was won by Anthony Harris. Izabella Gawin was second and Nic Schroeder third.

All in all it was a fun tournament which ran smoothly. 4 players opted to take the approved withdrawal option, meaning they only played on the Saturday, and players also seemed to enjoy the Spanish Festival on Johnston Street after the days play.

12/13 Michael BARON (FM)
11.5 Michael ADDAMO
11 Ari DALE
8 Sylvester URBAN
7.5 Milutin KRUNIC
7 Tony TOSEVSKI
7 Jack PUCCINI
7 Finley DALE
7 Paul CAVEZZA
7 Anthony HARRIS
6.5 Andrew SAINT
6.5 Tanya KOLAK
6.5 Adel GHOBRIAL
6 David TOPOL
6 Jack HUGHES
5.5 Bosko TOSEVSKI
5.5 Ruben NOWAK
5 Peter WOLF (7 rounds)
5 Izabella GAWIN
4.5 Tomson QIN
4 Frank LEKKAS (7 rounds)
3 Nicholaas SCHROEDER
2.5 Tristan RAYSON - HILL
2 Gary BEKKER (7 rounds)
2 Conner HEALY (7 rounds)
1.5 Blair MORRIS

mikesguns
22-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Sorry for rushing off but I was rushing because I thought I could make it to Box Hill in time for the teams. I was hoping that they might wait an hour, which they didnt. So I got forfeited anyway, so it would have paid to spend extra time on the game

Lekko
22-11-2010, 01:37 PM
MCC champ!
That's debatable.

Although, maybe one of the marathons should be the "MCC Blitz Championship Marathon".

Garvinator
22-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Sorry for rushing off but I was rushing because I thought I could make it to Box Hill in time for the teams. I was hoping that they might wait an hour, which they didnt. Why should they wait for you?

mikesguns
22-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Why should they wait for you?
Maybe because another tournament was organized at the same time, so they might have been able to delay the match.

ER
22-11-2010, 05:46 PM
That's debatable.

Let me clarify

For the Allegro: He has won the Allegro Competition two years in a row! He is the MCC champ OK? or is that debatable?

For the Blitz: I am not sure (actually I have no clue) about Michael's successes or failures in official MCC's Blitz competitions.

What I am sure (because I have witnessed it with my own eyes) is that:

Michael almost always plays with 2 minutes on the clock vs 5 minutes to his opponent's.
He hardly loses a game!

However, lacking official recognition, I agree that the blitz champ title I bestowed upon him can be indeed debatable.

Now I know that the Club's 2011 Calendar has been published. Does it include a Blitz Marathon or some other form of Blitz Championship?

Do we agree that the winner of that competition has the right to be called the MCC's Blitz Champion? Or will that be debatable?

It's just been brought to my attention that Michael Baron has chickened out of next Sunday's Blitz Competition. Maybe because he didn't want to (read scared to :P) face Leonid Sandler of Igor Goldenberg.

So my question of debatability applies for 2011!

I am willing to bet a small sum, (say $100 - $200) in Michael Baron's favour to win the competition. The winnings will of course go to MCC and used as seen fit by the Committee.

Any takers?

Lekko
22-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Let me clarify

For the Allegro: He has won the Allegro Competition two years in a row! He is the MCC champ OK? or is that debatable?

For the Blitz: I am not sure (actually I have no clue) about Michael's successes or failures in official MCC's Blitz competitions.

What I am sure (because I have witnessed it with my own eyes) is that:

Michael almost always plays with 2 minutes on the clock vs 5 minutes to his opponent's.
He hardly loses a game!

However, lacking official recognition, I agree that the blitz champ title I bestowed upon him can be indeed debatable.

Now I know that the Club's 2011 Calendar has been published. Does it include a Blitz Marathon or some other form of Blitz Championship?

Do we agree that the winner of that competition has the right to be called the MCC's Blitz Champion? Or will that be debatable?

It's just been brought to my attention that Michael Baron has chickened out of next Sunday's Blitz Competition. Maybe because he didn't want to (read scared to :P) face Leonid Sandler of Igor Goldenberg.

So my question of debatability applies for 2011!

I am willing to bet a small sum, (say $100 - $200) in Michael Baron's favour to win the competition. The winnings will of course go to MCC and used as seen fit by the Committee.

Any takers?
I thought you meant MCC blitz champion. I just assumed the MCC Champ was the winner of the MCC Championship held during autumn...

The problem with such a claim is that while he is quite the force to be reckoned with, he has lots of trouble dealing with certain player/s in the Saturday blitz tournament held every week after the allegro (hint hint). Come along and give him a hassle about his blitz.

He plays 3-5 against Kolak for money. He's never given me such a handicap :( haha. Then again he seems to play better in his 3-5 handicap games than he does in 5-5, so maybe I should be grateful.

Of course I say this with all due respect. He's a great chess player, and without a doubt, the undisputed allegro champion, the MCC Blitz Marathon Champion etc.

ER
22-11-2010, 06:51 PM
I thought you meant MCC blitz champion. I just assumed the MCC Champ was the winner of the MCC Championship held during autumn...

The problem with such a claim is that while he is quite the force to be reckoned with, he has lots of trouble dealing with certain player/s in the Saturday blitz tournament held every week after the allegro (hint hint). Come along and give him a hassle about his blitz.

He plays 3-5 against Kolak for money. He's never given me such a handicap :( haha. Then again he seems to play better in his 3-5 handicap games than he does in 5-5, so maybe I should be grateful.

Of course I say this with all due respect. He's a great chess player, and without a doubt, the undisputed allegro champion, the MCC Blitz Marathon Champion etc.

Yep, I agree my initial posting was unclear. Come 2011 I will be coming more often to the Club! It seems that I am missing quite a few goodies like Blitz tournaments after the Allegro etc.

Lekko
22-11-2010, 06:58 PM
hehe, notice the shameless plugs for several MCC tournaments in that post xD

ER
22-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Well that's polyfunctional multimedia interactivity for you! ;)

jhughes
22-11-2010, 07:47 PM
hehe, notice the shameless plugs for several MCC tournaments in that post xD
Shameless? Let's just say that the ends justify the means :lol: .

MichaelBaron
23-11-2010, 10:57 AM
I just saw the lovely discussion going on in this thread ..that is ''about me'' :).:D

Lekko
23-11-2010, 01:47 PM
I just saw the lovely discussion going on in this thread ..that is ''about me'' :).:D
You're merely a pawn in the advertising of MCC tournaments Michael.

MichaelBaron
23-11-2010, 04:30 PM
:)

ER
23-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Can you be more specific please??? ... hehe the rest of the sentence in the Blitz Thread! :P