PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Victorian Schools Teams Event - finals

klyall
11-10-2010, 04:03 PM
2010 Chess Victoria - Victorian Schools Teams Event - finals

Has anyway got a copy of the Chess Victoria - Schools Teams Event Finals count-back procedures?

I understand that there was a draw between Scotch College and Balwyn HS today.

ChessGuru
24-10-2010, 10:06 AM
No surprise an outright winner couldn't be found - there were only 7 games played with 135 players in a Swiss format.

There was also a tie in the Primary, where 8 rounds weren't enough to find a winner with 257 players.

results... http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com/finals_results.htm

Kevin Bonham
25-10-2010, 09:34 AM
I take it they are using roughly the same system as Chesskids, ie individual swiss with team pairings barred and top four scores make team score. What is interesting in that case is that they don't use the same tiebreak.

Following the Chesskids system, when two teams are tied the countback is the score of the fifth player, then the score of the sixth player, and so on.

So in this case:

Scotch College: 6.5, 6, 5.5, 5, 5, 4.5, 4, 4 etc
Balwyn High: 6.5, 6, 5.5, 5, 4, 4, 4 etc

If this tie happened in Tasmania, Scotch College would be declared winners on countback as their fifth score (5) is higher than Balwyn's. Indeed their sixth score is higher than Balwyn's fifth score as well.

Given that I can't see why the tie has created such difficulty. I wonder if it is a case of someone using someone else's system without understanding its finer points. :lol:

(Usual disclaimer re me and CK applies!)