PDA

View Full Version : Chess in your library (Victoria only)

ChessGuru
05-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Yesterday every library in Victoria (257 in total) received a free chess set, donated by Chess Kids (http://www.chesskids.com.au), and were asked to "Get On Board".

There are clubs for good players to play chess, but nowhere for adults who are beginners to get a casual game or learn to play. We'd like to see a day where libraries are the natural place to go to get a (free) game of chess or learn to play (also free).

So head to your local library and show support for chess, ask about the set they just received and play a game or teach someone how to play!

We're hoping another 200 chess clubs spring up in Victoria and many, many more players take up the game.

SHump
05-10-2010, 12:36 PM
That is a great idea David. Well done. I have just started with free weekly chess in our Hamilton library, with a similar aim to getting more chess played 'out there'. We have no resources in terms of being able to provide sets to many libraries, but we are finding the numbers of players each Sunday are increasing.

A library is a natural chess venue.

Spiny Norman
05-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Great initiative David ... well done!

ER
05-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Yesterday every library in Victoria (257 in total) received a free chess set, donated by Chess Kids (http://www.chesskids.com.au), and were asked to "Get On Board".

There are clubs for good players to play chess, but nowhere for adults who are beginners to get a casual game or learn to play. We'd like to see a day where libraries are the natural place to go to get a (free) game of chess or learn to play (also free).

So head to your local library and show support for chess, ask about the set they just received and play a game or teach someone how to play!

We're hoping another 200 chess clubs spring up in Victoria and many, many more players take up the game.

Good move David!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I have already started calling all branches of all public libraries I am a member of, (starting with Port Phillip Libraries) asking them which day of the week is their Chess playing meeting!
I am providing here telephone Nos. of library branches so more people can call them and make chess related inquiries.

They are
BOOROONDARA 9278 4666
Ashburton
Balwyn
Camberwell
Hawthorn
Kew
YARRA1300 695 427
Richmond
Collingwood (GO THE MIGHTY PIES)!!!!
Carlton,
Fitzroy