PDA

View Full Version : Chess Bar to open in Melbourne

Desmond
09-09-2010, 02:06 PM
'Chess-nut' couple to open bar for chess fans (http://www.news.com.au/business/business-owner/chess-nut-couple-to-open-a-bar-for-chess-fans/story-e6frfm5i-1225916400097)

PLAYING a game of pool or darts at your local may seem as natural as having a schooner or a pot.
But try having a relaxing game of chess and things could quickly turn to “check mate”.

Melbourne couple Jasmine Costello and Richard Putnam hope to fill this gap in the market after winning a $10,000 business grant to start a chess bar they are calling “Chess-Nuts”.

“We envisage an inviting lounge where chess lovers, or anyone, really, come to play chess with a mate or a stranger and enjoy a coffee or beer,” Ms Costello said.

“It won’t be as competitive as a chess club and anyone can come in and play open tournaments. People of any age or skill level can come along.”

While the idea started as a simple play on words and a pipe dream, the plan has gained momentum after the pair won a competition run by business telco Commander to kick-start small business projects.

“We didn’t think we would win so it’s pretty amazing,” Ms Costello said. “Until you get that green light you don’t even think it’s possible to start up something so big.”

The couple plans to host chess nights at an existing bar for research before finding a venue to launch their own business.

They plan to hold the first tournament within a month.

They will use some of the prize money to fund and advertise the events

pax
09-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Does anyone know these people? It's a bit weird that neither appear to be active players. How will they run tournaments?

Garrett
09-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Does anyone know these people? It's a bit weird that neither appear to be active players. How will they run tournaments?

There is a Richard Puttnam (2 t's) on the ACF masterlist.

Good luck to them ! Sounds fantastic ! :clap:

morebeer
09-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Anyone know where this place is?

http://www.news.com.au/business/business-owner/chess-nut-couple-to-open-a-bar-for-chess-fans/story-e6frfm5i-1225916400097

pax
09-09-2010, 03:29 PM
There is a Richard Puttnam (2 t's) on the ACF masterlist.

Good luck to them ! Sounds fantastic ! :clap:

Yes, I assume that's him (not even a provisional rating). It would be great if the Melbourne chess community got behind the idea and gave it support, including assistance and advice in the running of events. Who knows? Its might have legs..

MichaelBaron
09-09-2010, 04:29 PM
I can envisage myself playing Kolak there!

Garrett
09-09-2010, 04:38 PM
I can envisage myself stumbling out of there at 2 in the morning wondering what the f*** just happened.

ER
09-09-2010, 06:04 PM
I can envisage myself spending more time at the Melbourne Chess Club in the future.
Can I give you at least 9 reasons why provided you add a 10th?

01. I will be supporting a real Chess Club with a great tradition!
02. I will be able to play against players of all strengths.
03. I will be enjoying the chess facilities a real Chess Club can provide
04. I will be playing in a quiet alcohol - free place without disturbances
05. I will be able to enjoy playing in some of the strongest tournaments in Australia
06. I will be able to enjoy playing in rapid and blitz competitions organized by the Club
07. I will be able to participate in other Club activities such endgame lessons.
08. I will be able to purchase books and other chess related material from out bookstore
09. I will be able to have my games looked at and analysed by experts
10. Your move

Metro
10-09-2010, 01:16 AM
I can envisage myself stumbling out of there at 2 in the morning wondering what the f*** just happened.
I wonder if the alcohol is compatible with chess.
I wonder if tournaments are compatible with social chess.
I wonder if Chess-Nuts will be commercially viable.
I hope Richard and Jasmine make a success of the venture.

Garrett
10-09-2010, 07:09 AM

ha ha - definitely not with me. I will not even have one mid-strength beer between rounds on the same day at a tournament.

Well there are probably heaps of cafes and bars with no theme at all (or possibly the theme is too subtle for my male brain to notice) which are commercially viable. Speaking as someone with no first hand experience whatsoever I guess the viability will have less to do with themes and more to do with other factors such as location etc.

Rincewind
10-09-2010, 10:15 AM
ha ha - definitely not with me. I will not even have one mid-strength beer between rounds on the same day at a tournament.

I find one drink can help to relax and has a positive effect. But tends to depend on the amount of stress I'm under. If pretty relaxed anyway then even one drink is probably more detrimental than beneficial.

Maybe you're just a calm person - as I am most of the time.

This topic would seem to warrant its own thread if there hasn't been one already.

Desmond
10-09-2010, 10:25 AM
I can envisage myself spending more time at the Melbourne Chess Club in the future.You Mexicans can be very factional at times. :P

Desmond
10-09-2010, 10:31 AM
I wonder if the alcohol is compatible with chess.Nothing wrong with having a brewski or two and a game of chess.

I hope Richard and Jasmine make a success of the venture.Me too.

Garrett
10-09-2010, 11:50 AM
I find one drink can help to relax and has a positive effect. But tends to depend on the amount of stress I'm under. If pretty relaxed anyway then even one drink is probably more detrimental than beneficial.

Maybe you're just a calm person - as I am most of the time.

Yes - I can understand your point of view and several mates up here will have a beer between rounds and even rock up to the board with a beer.

I can feel the effects of even one standard drink and would probably become more stressed worrying whether the alcohol would adversely affect my play.

I wonder whether any professional opening batsmen would have a beer to steady the nerves before heading out to bat ...

This topic would seem to warrant its own thread if there hasn't been one already.

Yes sounds like a good idea.

Igor_Goldenberg
10-09-2010, 12:26 PM

Yes:D :D

Saragossa
10-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Sounds awesome. Jak, of course a club is better for serious players but for a casual player a casual environment has to be the most appealing. I even reckon I could get Warren to play in the tournaments as longs as I shouted the first round.

ER
10-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Sounds awesome. Jak, of course a club is better for serious players but for a casual player a casual environment has to be the most appealing. I even reckon I could get Warren to play in the tournaments as longs as I shouted the first round.

Classic! :) What's Marcus' opinion on the matter?

Rincewind
10-09-2010, 09:07 PM
I wonder whether any professional opening batsmen would have a beer to steady the nerves before heading out to bat ...

Interesting question. Of course the name David Boon leaps to mind. :)

MichaelBaron
02-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Any updates? So is there a chess bar in Victoria now?

Metro
03-11-2010, 12:31 AM
Any updates? So is there a chess bar in Victoria now?
Jasmine Costello says there is a ChessNuts page on Facebook but I don't see it.

Lekko
03-11-2010, 10:09 PM
I can envisage myself playing Kolak there!
Me too :D

FM_Bill
10-12-2010, 10:03 AM
There is an internet cafe where people play chess on Thursday nights in Smith St, Collingwood. It might be worth compiling a list of places like this, if they can be found.