PDA

View Full Version : MCC Blitz Marathon 2, October 10th [was Oct 3rd, date changed]

Grant Szuveges
02-09-2010, 09:56 PM
MELBOURNE CHESS CLUB

BLITZ MARATHON 2

‘An event for real chess fanatics!’

When: Sunday October 10th, beginning at 10am

Where: Melbourne Chess Club, 66 Leicester St, Fitzroy 3065

Format: 10 player round robin (hopefully several, based on playing strength)
Each player plays each opponent 6 times (54 games in total)

Bonus Points: A bonus point will be awarded to a player who defeats an opponent 6-0 (in what is known as a “Fischer score”).

Timetable: 9.30am, entries close
10.00am, round 1
11.00am, round 2
12.00 noon, round 3
1.00pm, lunch break
2.00pm, round 4
3.00pm, round 5
4.00pm, round 6
5.00pm, tea break
6.00pm, round 7
7.00pm, round 8
8.00pm, round 9

Time Controls: Blitz (5 minutes per player per game)

Prizes: 90% of money collected in entry fees. With a field of 10 MCC members ($200), the prize pool would be as follows (in each group):
1st $80, 2nd $50, 3rd $30, 4th $20

Parking: Lots of free parking close to MCC on Sundays. For advice on parking, please contact Grant Szuveges 0401-925-075 or via email: grantszuveges@gmail.com

Entry Fees: $20 MCC members, $30 non-members

Relegation: If there are 2 or more groups, the top two players in a group will book their place in the higher group in the next marathon (early 2011). However, the bottom two players will be relegated to the lower group! In the case of a tie, all involved will move up or down for the next tournament.

The relegation concept is so that everyone still has something to play for even if they know that they can not win a prize. This is particularly important in a marathon style event.

Conduct: Players are expected to play EVERY game of the event. Withdrawals are not permitted due to the style of the event. Withdrawing from a tournament like this gives each of your unplayed opponents 7 points (not just 1) and thus ruins the whole event for all players involved. Anyone who does not play all games will NOT be permitted to play in this event again. This event isn’t for everyone. If you can not handle it, please do not enter.

Advice: Get a good night sleep the night before.
Prepare for your opponents.
Arm yourself with chocolate and caffeine drinks.
Eat a high carb dinner the night before (pasta etc).
Eat a good breakfast (but not too much).
Don’t play blitz between rounds.
Don’t get disheartened if you start badly – there are 54 games!
This is a marathon, not a sprint!
This is not work, it’s a fun chess event – enjoy it!

Enquiries: For any questions, please contact Grant Szuveges on 0401-925-075 or via email: grantszuveges@gmail.com

ER
03-09-2010, 07:44 AM
I jumped at the news for the 2nd Blitz Marathon since I enjoyed the first one. Then I realised it clashes with the Guy West Classic weekender (Sat 2nd / Sun 3rd Octover) which I have entered already!

Lekko
03-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Can we have a pizza ordered to the club? BTW the pizza would be all for me >_>

Grant Szuveges
03-09-2010, 02:57 PM
I jumped at the news for the 2nd Blitz Marathon since I enjoyed the first one. Then I realised it clashes with the Guy West Classic weekender (Sat 2nd / Sun 3rd Octover) which I have entered already!

STOP PRESS, DATES CHANGED

The MCC was not aware that there was a clash with the Guy West Classic. Therefore we have decided to reschedule the Blitz Marathon to Sunday October 10th (one week later than originally scheduled). Apologies to Croyden Chess Club and no offence intended.

The Blitz Marathon will go ahead in exactly the same format, except one week later. Good luck to all players playing in the Guy West Classic, the Blitz Marathon or both!

Kevin Bonham
03-09-2010, 03:04 PM
I changed the date in the thread title.

mikesguns
03-09-2010, 03:09 PM

The MCC was not aware that there was a clash with the Guy West Classic. Therefore we have decided to reschedule the Blitz Marathon to Sunday October 10th (one week later than originally scheduled). Apologies to Croyden Chess Club and no offence intended.

The Blitz Marathon will go ahead in exactly the same format, except one week later. Good luck to all players playing in the Guy West Classic, the Blitz Marathon or both!
Thanks for that Grant, now I will be playing in the Blitz Marathon, as well as the Guy West Classic

Watto
03-09-2010, 04:08 PM

A huge thanks, Grant, from myself and Croydon CC. Even if it only affects a few players, I'm really pleased they don't have to choose between the two events. I deeply appreciate MCC's gesture in changing the date.

So get behind the MCC's Blitz Marathon everyone :D (after you've played in the Guy West Classic!)
p.s. Great to have you in both tournaments, JaK and maddam12.

ER
03-09-2010, 06:22 PM

Thanks Grant, Kevin and whoever else was involved in the change / adjustment. :clap: Please count me in for the Marathon Grant!

Paul Cavezza
03-09-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm 99% sure to be in.

Paul!

Everyone should play in this, it's a cracker of a time

Grant Szuveges
03-09-2010, 11:52 PM
The following people are at least 99% sure that they will be playing... Some are actually 100% sure, so I will use all of them as a list of entries - this will probably double tomorrow since the MCC allegro is on and more may commit then.... In any case, here is the list:

Michael ADDAMO
Michael BARON (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Frank LEKKAS
Elliot RENZIES
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)

If you want to play, please contact me asap so that we can add you to the list - then the list will grow and even more people will want to play! Lets try to get 40 people to this one!

Grant Szuveges
04-09-2010, 11:30 PM
The list of entries more than doubled today at the Saturday Allegro..... Here is the latest list of players - come and become one of them!

Michael ADDAMO
Michael BARON (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Jack HUGHES
Chris KOLAK
Tanya KOLAK
Frank LEKKAS
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
David TOPOL
Tony TOSEVSKI
Sylvester URBAN

Bereaved
05-09-2010, 08:50 AM
I'll play, will see if I can find some others

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

PS where are the results of the Malitis memorial!!?

Grant Szuveges
06-09-2010, 01:08 AM
LIST OF ENTRIES

Michael ADDAMO
Michael BARON (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Jack HUGHES
Chris KOLAK
Tanya KOLAK
Frank LEKKAS
Malcolm PYKE
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
David TOPOL
Tony TOSEVSKI
Sylvester URBAN

Grant Szuveges
09-09-2010, 02:23 PM
LIST OF ENTRIES (17)

Michael ADDAMO
Michael BARON (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Jack HUGHES
Chris KOLAK
Tanya KOLAK
Frank LEKKAS
Jack PUCCINI
Malcolm PYKE
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
David TOPOL
Tony TOSEVSKI
Sylvester URBAN

Grant Szuveges
19-09-2010, 12:56 PM
I popped in to the allegro yesterday and while I didnt get any more definites for the blitz marathon, I did get some 80%+ers, such as Anthony Harris..... So it looks like the tournament will go well......

I havnt been posting much lately because Ive got the flu..... Hopefully I get better soon and then its full steam ahead....

Grant Szuveges
20-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Alec and Allen Yu, first and second respectively in the bottom section of the last marathon have both confirmed their entries into the tournament. After completely dominating the bottom section, the Yu brothers will be fighting it out in a higher section this time around - maybe they will dominate that section too! If you want to try your luck against them, enter the tournament, or if you are lower rated and want to avoid them, come along and play in the bottom section!

LIST OF ENTRIES (19)

Michael ADDAMO
Michael BARON (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Jack HUGHES
Chris KOLAK
Tanya KOLAK
Frank LEKKAS
Jack PUCCINI
Malcolm PYKE
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
David TOPOL
Tony TOSEVSKI
Sylvester URBAN
Alec YU
Allen YU

Grant Szuveges
21-09-2010, 11:38 AM
James Macaulay has committed to the tournament and thus we now have 20 players - enough for 2 tournaments of 10.... Hopefully we will get another 10 players for a third round robin.... If you are interested, please enter asap.

LIST OF ENTRIES (20)

Michael ADDAMO
Michael BARON (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Jack HUGHES
Chris KOLAK
Tanya KOLAK
Frank LEKKAS
James MACAULAY
Jack PUCCINI
Malcolm PYKE
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
David TOPOL
Tony TOSEVSKI
Sylvester URBAN
Alec YU
Allen YU

Grant Szuveges
28-09-2010, 03:46 PM
LIST OF ENTRIES (21)

Michael ADDAMO
Michael BARON (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Jack HUGHES
Chris KOLAK
Tanya KOLAK
Frank LEKKAS
James MACAULAY
Jack PUCCINI
Malcolm PYKE
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Jack SHANKS
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
David TOPOL
Tony TOSEVSKI
Sylvester URBAN
Alec YU
Allen YU

Grant Szuveges
03-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Less than a week to go now, with players warming up physically, metally and emotionally..... Its going to be a strong one this time around with many brilliant and talented players taking to the field, including:

A magician who can weave magic with as few as 3 pieces...

An iceman, unemotional and so fast that he is said to have the reflexes of a cat...

A firebug who can burn through a position destroying everything in his path and leaving nothing but the remains of a weak pawn structure...

And a grinder with a clamp, who keeps squeezing and tightening his grip until a piece pops out - or worse...

Add to this a number of up-and-coming young first and second year MCC players, busting with talent and enthusiam itching to take down those above them, and the established players who can match it with anyone on their day....

And then there is the reigning champion - a man who can play like all of the chess warriors mentioned earlier and does it consistently. Last time around he demolished the entire field in fine style and this time everyone will be going after him.... Can he do it again or will someone else, hungry and enthusiastic take the mantle away from him? Who knows.....

You too can be part of this adventure, taking on Dragons, Najdorfs and Pelikans with sharp beaks.... Remember, only those who turn up to the battle can win it, and in blitz anything can happen..... To be a part of this action of another historic chess moment, just enter the tournament, load up on the right sort of fuel and be at the Melbourne Chess Club next Sunday morning ready to help create history.....

Grant Szuveges
04-10-2010, 03:00 PM
One of MCCs most dangerous players, Frank Lekkas has withdrawn from the tournament leaving a gaping hole which others could jump into.... While it may be relief for some of Franks rivals, it means that opportunities are opening up for others!

LIST OF ENTRIES (20)

Michael ADDAMO
Michael BARON (FM)
Paul CAVEZZA
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Jack HUGHES
Chris KOLAK
Tanya KOLAK
James MACAULAY
Jack PUCCINI
Malcolm PYKE
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Jack SHANKS
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
David TOPOL
Tony TOSEVSKI
Sylvester URBAN
Alec YU
Allen YU

Grant Szuveges
04-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Unfortunately, Sylvester Urban has had to withdraw, but John Beckman has confirmed his entry at the perfect time!

LIST OF ENTRIES (20)

Michael ADDAMO
Michael BARON (FM)
John BECKMAN
Paul CAVEZZA
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Jack HUGHES
Chris KOLAK
Tanya KOLAK
James MACAULAY
Jack PUCCINI
Malcolm PYKE
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Jack SHANKS
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
David TOPOL
Tony TOSEVSKI
Alec YU
Allen YU

mikesguns
05-10-2010, 06:38 AM
Unfortunately, Sylvester Urban has had to withdraw, but John Beckman has confirmed his entry at the perfect time!

LIST OF ENTRIES (20)

Michael ADDAMO
Michael BARON (FM)
John BECKMAN
Paul CAVEZZA
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Jack HUGHES
Chris KOLAK
Tanya KOLAK
James MACAULAY
Jack PUCCINI
Malcolm PYKE
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Jack SHANKS
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
David TOPOL
Tony TOSEVSKI
Alec YU
Allen YU
SO going by this there might be two 10 player round robins

Grant Szuveges
05-10-2010, 11:10 PM
SO going by this there might be two 10 player round robins

At this stage it will be two 10 player round robins, although things can change.... We may get players showing up on the day, or more enter this week. If we get 24, then we will probably have 3 groups of 8.....

ER
06-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Less than a week to go now, with players warming up physically, metally and emotionally.....

What about the special diet thingy, can you improve on the pastas and the other carbohydratic menu you had on last time?

Its going to be a strong one this time around with many brilliant and talented players taking to the field, including:

A magician who can weave magic with as few as 3 pieces...
There is only one magician I know of but I reckon he is too chicken to come out and play!

An iceman, unemotional and so fast that he is said to have the reflexes of a cat...
He uses the trick with the knife fast working between his fingers... Are we expecting blood splattered allover the boards? or will he use just an axe for gimmick this time? ;)

A firebug who can burn through a position destroying everything in his path and leaving nothing but the remains of a weak pawn structure...
Mate he is good at it, only last night I was watching a video he did with the kids exhibiting his fire throwing techniques!!! Make sure we have the fire brigade stand by this Sat.

And a grinder with a clamp, who keeps squeezing and tightening his grip until a piece pops out - or worse...

Add to this a number of up-and-coming young first and second year MCC players, busting with talent and enthusiasm itching to take down those above them, and the established players who can match it with anyone on their day....

hehe I want to see the young guns mixing it with the hardened old timers!!!

And then there is the reigning champion - a man who can play like all of the chess warriors mentioned earlier and does it consistently. Last time around he demolished the entire field in fine style and this time everyone will be going after him.... Can he do it again or will someone else, hungry and enthusiastic take the mantle away from him? Who knows.....

Consider the mantle already taken... And it will be a working class hero who will do it!!!

You too can be part of this adventure, taking on Dragons, Najdorfs and Pelikans with sharp beaks.... Remember, only those who turn up to the battle can win it, and in blitz anything can happen..... To be a part of this action of another historic chess moment, just enter the tournament, load up on the right sort of fuel and be at the Melbourne Chess Club next Sunday morning ready to help create history.....

They will all be there, they just play possum (you know who you are just come out and show us what you 're made of ;) ) at present, but rest assured they will all be there!

See you all this Sat!!!

jhughes
06-10-2010, 06:55 PM
I am very sorry to say that I will have to be a late withdrawal.

ER
08-10-2010, 05:05 PM
See you all this Sat!!!

CORRECTION TO THE ABOVE:
See you all this SUNDAY - SUNDAY is the day or the MCC Blitz Marathon - Not Sat!!
Thanks Grant! I just received the message! :)

Grant Szuveges
08-10-2010, 05:44 PM
A few people have just jumped ship, but I have heard that there will be some others turning up on the day - including an infamous father/son/other son combination...

LIST OF ENTRIES (18)

Michael ADDAMO
Michael BARON (FM)
John BECKMAN
Paul CAVEZZA
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Chris KOLAK
Tanya KOLAK
Jack PUCCINI
Malcolm PYKE
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Jack SHANKS
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
David TOPOL
Tony TOSEVSKI
Alec YU
Allen YU

MichaelBaron
08-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Will be interestign to watch how strong tournament players such as Pyke are going to fare against strong and dangerous coffeehouse players such as Kolak. Also, some of the ''ex-tournament'' players such as Baron and Szuveges have also turned into coffee-house players by now.

ER
08-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Will be interestign to watch how strong tournament players such as Pyke are going to fare against strong and dangerous coffeehouse players such as Kolak...

I clearly remember Vassily Ivanchuk's face changing many colours, when he was confronted by Chris's "coffeehouse" style! I stand to be corrected about the final score, but of what I remember it was 2 all at some stage!

Also, some of the ''ex-tournament'' players such as Baron and Szuveges have also turned into coffee-house players by now.

In my books FMs no matter what, will never be called "cofeehouse" players! Having said that, even the great Em. Lasker - a world champion, was accused of playing "coffee house" style Chess!

Grant Szuveges
08-10-2010, 09:59 PM
I clearly remember Vassily Ivanchuk's face changing many colours, when he was confronted by Chris's "coffeehouse" style! I stand to be corrected about the final score, but of what I remember it was 2 all at some stage!

In my books FMs no matter what, will never be called "cofeehouse" players! Having said that, even the great Em. Lasker - a world champion, was accused of playing "coffee house" style Chess!

Im very proud to be an FM and even prouder to be considered a coffeehouse player by my peers!

Although Id think that Im a fairly well educated chess player when it comes to the parts of the game that can be learned, I also think that being able to play "coffeehouse chess" is a huge skill which can never be underestimated and helps to win games in which regular chess doesn't.

It is hard to describe exactly what "coffeehouse chess" is, but part of it is attitude, and having the gumption to try something a bit different, or a bit risky, or to simply back yourself - even if your position isn't objectively better.... It's hard to explain what it is, but it is certainly fun and it certainly picks up points.....

I think that the biggest skill that good coffeehouse players have is an ability to defend - they somehow know how to just hang on, no matter how suspect their position looks. They then simply keep trying for the best pratical chance - every move..... They try not to make positional weaknesses (although some are better at this than others) and try to activate their pieces at all costs..... and keep fighting on til the end - a bit like Andre Agassi in a way.... It's all about making everything hard for your opponent - every move of every game...

Im very proud to be "coffeehouse"...

ER
08-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Hehehe :lol:
How sweet!!! that's a very romantic description of a CF chess player and it nearly brought to tears to my eyes!!!
Mate, have a look around you when you go to those chess playing places in Elwood Beach, Blessington Gardens, and a couple still standing in Carlton and Fitzroy, not to mention the State Library as it was about a year ago when I last dropped in there!
Coffee House Chess is what you don't wanna see in angelic places where cherubims are singing "Gloria in Exelsis Deo"! No arbiter in his/her right mind would dare to interfere and try to impose the rules existing in kindergarten, well protected environments like where you might have developed your fine ideas about coffee house chess!
Even in so called rough chess playing coffeehouses in Europe you won't find a CH player strong enough to survive the Moscow (St Petersburg CH players are sissies in comparison) scene and they in turn are too humble and harmless compared to the great US NY and LA coffee house masters!
They do everything against the rules and you won't protest either because they are too fast for you to realise what's going on, or you simply won't survive if you do!
They talk to you while you play, they blow smoke on you, (stuff the anti-smoking legislation, they don't care!) they swear, they threaten you, they call you names, they rock the table when they don't use it to execute the most complicated Geen Krupa's rolls!
Hehe, don't try to behave like a proper CH chess player on Sunday, that DOP bloke whoever it is, will show you the door! LOL :P :lol:

Kevin Bonham
08-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Certainly puts a kinder slant on the term "coffeehouse" than how I've usually heard it. Wikipedia gives "risky, positionally dubious play that sets traps for the opponent."

If Grant's definition is it then I should have taken it as an accurate compliment when one of our banned ex-members tried to use it as an insult!

Grant Szuveges
08-10-2010, 11:53 PM
They talk to you while you play, they blow smoke on you, (stuff the anti-smoking legislation, they don't care!) they swear, they threaten you, they call you names, they rock the table when they don't use it to execute the most complicated Geen Krupa's rolls!

Well, we like a bit of that around here... (at MCC that is)...

Some more tips:

1. when you are in time trouble, play moves on the side of the board where the clock is...

2. when in time trouble, make sure that your opponent hasn't knocked your (unpromoted) queen onto the floor... (one MCC player is notorious for this)...

3. if they talk, then you talk more...

4. all the talk in the world is no substitute for good moves...

5. try not to sledge your direct opponent (it comes back to haunt you). Instead, if you are about to play a great move, call a third person over and say "hey, check this out" and then play the move after everyone else is watching...... (in a blitz game against Michael Baron once, I did just this - I got him in a prepared opening trap in a Sicilian. When he allowed me to play the Nd5 sacrifice, I called Carl Gorka over and said, loudly enough for everyone else to hear "Hey Carl, have a look at this brilliant sacrifice" and of course everyone else in earshot did too. But I made sure that I didnt say anything rude directly to Michael - because that is disrespectful and it always comes back to bite you... like me mentioning this story might)...

6. another way of using point 5, is to pre-arrange with a friend for them to come along while you are playing the game and say "hey you are crushing this guy every game today - he's not even getting a look in" or some other rubbish...

7. if your opponent tries putting pieces half on one square and half on the other, just press the clock and say "where is it?" - that will usually stop them from doing it again...

8. hold onto your queen as soon as it comes off the board - that way it won't end up on the floor (see point 2)...

9. intimidate your opponent by rolling up your sleaves or taking off your watch when you are down to one minute - it makes it look like you are "getting down to business"...

10. remember, what happens over the board stays over the board. You are probably good friends with your opponent and you want to remain so when the tournament has finished. So don't do anything too offensive that you can't look your opponent in the eye after the tournament finishes... Chess is a game and it's meant to be fun... It isn't worth losing friendships over...

Does Michael or anyone else want to share any more tips of this nature?

Grant Szuveges
08-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Certainly puts a kinder slant on the term "coffeehouse" than how I've usually heard it. Wikipedia gives "risky, positionally dubious play that sets traps for the opponent."

If Grant's definition is it then I should have taken it as an accurate compliment when one of our banned ex-members tried to use it as an insult!

I think that most coffeehouse players aren't too bad positionally. They are not positionally sophisticated, but they don't tend to create weaknesses much - the good ones that is.....

They are usually pretty good at rook and pawn endings too.... Less so at bishop and/or knight endings....

Garvinator
08-10-2010, 11:58 PM
1. when you are in time trouble, play moves on the side of the board where the clock is... When your opponent is in time trouble, play on the opposite side of the board.

3. if they talk, then you talk more...Practice the glare.

MichaelBaron
09-10-2010, 01:01 AM
And here are my tips how to destroy the tournament's top guns.

1. Michael Baron - If you are playing me - make sure you are going to play actively. I do not like being attacked so try to attack me if you can. Even if the attack is unsound I may crumble under pressure. Also my openings are quite weak and with black pieces i may have a lot of trouble obtaining a decent position out of the opening. Do not fall behind on time - when I have a time advantage, I am pretty good at doing nothing just to flag my opponent. Unfortunately when i am behind on time - I often feel uncomfortable and may get nervous and blunder.

2. Grant Szuveges - similarly to me - Grant does not like being attacked and may crumble under pressure. Also, he sometimes appears to get nervous while playing. Grant plays well in positions where he has a clear plan so if you are playing him, try to keep position as dynamic as possible.

3. Chris Kolak - Chris is a very dangerous attacking player. In this tournament - his attacking skills are probably second to none. Try to exchange queens early and simplify the position as much as possible when playing him and by no means fall behind on the clock - his flagging skills are great! Chris often plays for swindles. While it does make him an extremely dangerous opponent, his bluffing play can sometimes be exploited.

4. Malcolm Pyke - Malcolm is a recognized opening expert Try to make sure that you avoid main lines as he has memorized at all. He is also very good in positions where he can recall (based on his vast knowledge and great memory) what to do and has a pretty sharp eye for tactics (not as sharp as Chris Kolak though). However, he does not seem to be playing as much blitz chess as some of the other top guns in this tournament so may be having trouble keeping his nerve in time-troubles. Furthermore, he is not very confident in unfamiliar positions that he can not ''remember''

Hope these hints help!

Desmond
09-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Some more tips:

1. when you are in time trouble, play moves on the side of the board where the clock is...And make short moves. Ra1-b1 is better than Ra1-a8.

Grant Szuveges
09-10-2010, 12:30 PM
MCC junior Nic Schroeder is the latest player to enter the fray!

LIST OF ENTRIES (19)

Michael ADDAMO
Michael BARON (FM)
John BECKMAN
Paul CAVEZZA
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Chris KOLAK
Tanya KOLAK
Jack PUCCINI
Malcolm PYKE
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Nicholaas SCHROEDER
Jack SHANKS
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
David TOPOL
Tony TOSEVSKI
Alec YU
Allen YU

Grant Szuveges
09-10-2010, 12:34 PM
And make short moves. Ra1-b1 is better than Ra1-a8.

Another one that I forgot:

When you are not really sure what to do, start throwing your h-pawn down the board. IM Robert Jamieson once told me that "there is nothing more scary than seeing a h-pawn come flying down the board towards your king!"

Even if it isn't a great idea, it has lots of psychological value...

ER
09-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Another one that I forgot:

When you are not really sure what to do, start throwing your h-pawn down the board. IM Robert Jamieson once told me that "there is nothing more scary than seeing a h-pawn come flying down the board towards your king!"...

Not when you 've castled 0-0-0 though! :P then again you might have the a-Pawn doing the job! :(

Grant Szuveges
09-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Not when you 've castled 0-0-0 though! :P then again you might have the a-Pawn doing the job! :(

I think Jammo may have said something about that too actually...

MichaelBaron
10-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Starting live blogging from the MCC Blitz Marathon! Its beautiful sunny weather - sunshine all over MCC we are having a great time playing chess. Most interesting results so far: Renzies - F. Dale 2.5-2.5 Szuveges-A.Dale 3.5 -1.5

MichaelBaron
10-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Baron -Szuveges 5-0. Was good to score picket fence against my main rival. Battle of the juniors Al. Yu -Adamo ended in a 2.5-2.5 tie. While Alec's brother Allen accounted for John Beckman 5-0 :clap:

MichaelBaron
10-10-2010, 01:21 PM
We are now enjoying a lunch break. MCC has a lot of delicious chocolates to chose from for lunch 60c sweets and 50c chips are popular with the tournament participants.
On the chess end: Beckman overcame F. Dale 3-2. Allen Yu upset Michael Addamo 4-1

MichaelBaron
10-10-2010, 02:16 PM
The tournament has passed its equator. Finley Dale managed to score 50% (2.5 points) against Michael Addamo. JAK has taken 0.5 from Grant Szuveges

MichaelBaron
10-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Some more amazing results.
Tanya Kolak has taken 0.5 point off Grant Szuveges. Young Nick Shroeder beat Paul Cavezza 3-2.

MichaelBaron
10-10-2010, 07:37 PM
With 2 5-game rounds to go I am leading by some points. Huge battle for the second place is unfolding. Allen Yu and Ari Dale are proving to be tough cookies for FM Szuveges. At this stage, Looks like Szuveges- Yu encounter will be decisive.

Grant Szuveges
10-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Michael Baron has demolished the entire field to win the Blitz Marathon! Michael was so dominant, that he defeated everyone 5-0 with the exception of Ari Dale in the final round - who he defeated 4.5-.5! That is 70.5 out of a possible 71 points!!!

I somehow managed to come good when it counted towards the end of the tournament to fall into equal 2nd.... I felt really slow, really tired and a bit rusty - particularly in the first half of the event.... Its amazing how tired and slow I feel since having kids..... (oh well, that was my choice so no excuses....) I don't know how Stephen Solomon does it - he has 4 kids! I was winning my matches, but not winning them 5-0, which is vital in these marathons as a picket fence gets you the bonus point! I dropped too many "lose on time 2 queens up but the opponent doesnt have any material left" type of draws, and even one disasterous loss against Paul Cavezza (Pablito) who played really well against my isolated pawn.

Allen Yu tied with me for second. He wouldve come outright second but lost to me 2-3.... I dont give a lot of compliments to people when it comes to blitz (Im very harsh on myself and others), but I will give Allen one. He is a genuine class act - a really strong blitz player, who could easily match it with the stronger players who played in the last marathon (Jager, Jordan, Urban etc) and will presumably only get better.... Watch out! Ive heard he is the Box Hill blitz champion - a title he will probably keep for a while. Not sure how many 5-0s he got, but I assume it was more than I did!

Ari Dale was right in the hunt for most of the event but had the unfortunate problem of playing Baron in the final round - interestingly enough he was the only player to take half a point off him.... Michael Addamo would probably be a tad disappointed with his tournament but Alec Yu proved that he can also handle himself in the top section (if the event was to be sectionalised).

Paul Cavezza was the best of the players fighting for the "B group" prize, scoring 25.5 points, while Elliot Renzies came second and Tanya Kolak third. Finley Dale played ok but faded toward the end (its a hard day for a 9 year old) whilst Nic Schroeder, John Beckman and Ben Frayle all picked up quite a lot of points despite finishing at the bottom of the field - proving how competitive the tournament was (the were no easy games)...

Paul and Elliot have earned their place in the top section next time (if we have more than one group).

The only disappointing thing about the tournament were the high number of no-shows! I was surprised that so many people put their names down and then didnt turn up. Oh well, it was fun for those who were there.... Looking forward to the next Blitz Marathon (January next year)...

70.5 Michael BARON (FM)
51.5 Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
51.5 Allen YU
46.5 Ari DALE
42.5 Michael ADDAMO
34.5 Alec YU
25.5 Paul CAVEZZA
19.5 Elliot RENZIES
19.0 Tanya KOLAK
17.0 Finley DALE
15.0 John BECKMAN
15.0 Nicholaas SCHROEDER
13.0 Ben FRAYLE

Garvinator
10-10-2010, 11:16 PM
I think I have asked this before, but since I have forgotten, I will ask again.

Do you play 5/0 or 3 + 2?

Bereaved
10-10-2010, 11:21 PM
Doing your research, Garvin, what is the world coming to?

See post #1

Time Controls: Blitz (5 minutes per player per game)

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

Garvinator
10-10-2010, 11:25 PM
Doing your research, Garvin, what is the world coming to?
See post #1I did go back a couple of pages, but clearly not back to page one :doh:

Paul Cavezza
10-10-2010, 11:39 PM
I dropped too many "lose on time 2 queens up but the opponent doesnt have any material left" type of draws, and even one disasterous loss against Paul Cavezza (Pablito) who played really well against my isolated pawn.

Heya Grant:P It made my day if it's any consolation;)

One positive of the one big round robin was that the lower rated players got to play the big guns. As always it's a great motivation and i'll be there ready to get shredded in the top group in January.

Paul

ps. Lowlight: losing to a king and pawn: a Queen, bishop and 5 pawns up. Remember to watch when you opponent checks you with his only remaining piece.

jhughes
11-10-2010, 04:41 AM
Michael Baron has demolished the entire field to win the Blitz Marathon! Michael was so dominant, that he defeated everyone 5-0 with the exception of Ari Dale in the final round - who he defeated 4.5-.5! That is 70.5 out of a possible 71 points!!!

I somehow managed to come good when it counted towards the end of the tournament to fall into equal 2nd.... I felt really slow, really tired and a bit rusty - particularly in the first half of the event.... Its amazing how tired and slow I feel since having kids..... (oh well, that was my choice so no excuses....) I don't know how Stephen Solomon does it - he has 4 kids! I was winning my matches, but not winning them 5-0, which is vital in these marathons as a picket fence gets you the bonus point! I dropped too many "lose on time 2 queens up but the opponent doesnt have any material left" type of draws, and even one disasterous loss against Paul Cavezza (Pablito) who played really well against my isolated pawn.

Allen Yu tied with me for second. He wouldve come outright second but lost to me 2-3.... I dont give a lot of compliments to people when it comes to blitz (Im very harsh on myself and others), but I will give Allen one. He is a genuine class act - a really strong blitz player, who could easily match it with the stronger players who played in the last marathon (Jager, Jordan, Urban etc) and will presumably only get better.... Watch out! Ive heard he is the Box Hill blitz champion - a title he will probably keep for a while. Not sure how many 5-0s he got, but I assume it was more than I did!

Ari Dale was right in the hunt for most of the event but had the unfortunate problem of playing Baron in the final round - interestingly enough he was the only player to take half a point off him.... Michael Addamo would probably be a tad disappointed with his tournament but Alec Yu proved that he can also handle himself in the top section (if the event was to be sectionalised).

Paul Cavezza was the best of the players fighting for the "B group" prize, scoring 25.5 points, while Elliot Renzies came second and Tanya Kolak third. Finley Dale played ok but faded toward the end (its a hard day for a 9 year old) whilst Nic Schroeder, John Beckman and Ben Frayle all picked up quite a lot of points despite finishing at the bottom of the field - proving how competitive the tournament was (the were no easy games)...

Paul and Elliot have earned their place in the top section next time (if we have more than one group).

The only disappointing thing about the tournament were the high number of no-shows! I was surprised that so many people put their names down and then didnt turn up. Oh well, it was fun for those who were there.... Looking forward to the next Blitz Marathon (January next year)...

70.5 Michael BARON (FM)
51.5 Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
51.5 Allen YU
46.5 Ari DALE
42.5 Michael ADDAMO
34.5 Alec YU
25.5 Paul CAVEZZA
19.5 Elliot RENZIES
19.0 Tanya KOLAK
17.0 Finley DALE
15.0 John BECKMAN
15.0 Nicholaas SCHROEDER
13.0 Ben FRAYLE
Since you were so keenly insulting Michael for his grammar on the Allegro page, I feel obliged to mention that "who" should replaced with "whom". Since in that sentence the verb is "defeated" and Michael Baron is it's subject, Ari Dale then becomes the object of the sentence and the accusative form of who, which is whom should be used.

mikesguns
11-10-2010, 06:14 AM
Since you were so keenly insulting Michael for his grammar on the Allegro page, I feel obliged to mention that "who" should replaced with "whom". Since in that sentence the verb is "defeated" and Michael Baron is it's subject, Ari Dale then becomes the object of the sentence and the accusative form of who, which is whom should be used.
No one cares Jack.
lol :D

Desmond
11-10-2010, 07:17 AM
No one cares Jack.
:lol: :owned:

Well done Michael, great score!

Garrett
11-10-2010, 07:54 AM
Well done Michael Baron. Dropping a half point all day is a great effort !!

Paul Cavezza
11-10-2010, 08:04 AM
I'd suggest 2-3 9 player round robins for next time starting at 11am. The later start might make it a bit more attractive/doable for some people, and I have to admit yesterday I was a bit exhausted. (I'm not sure if I can do that every 3 months!)

ER
11-10-2010, 12:54 PM
A great chess day, thanks to all who participated in and top marks to those who organised it. Lookinf forward to the next one!
Congratulations to Michael for maintaining once again his absolute domination in blitz chess!

I'd suggest 2-3 9 player round robins for next time starting at 11am. The later start might make it a bit more attractive/doable for some people, and I have to admit yesterday I was a bit exhausted...
I agree with Publito on this.
However, we who opposed this format on the vote - I was one of them, should insist with our case a bit stronger and/or more vociferously!

Kevin Bonham
11-10-2010, 01:19 PM
As far as I can tell from the system the maximum possible score is actually 72 not 71, since the draw against Ari would have deprived Michael of the bonus point for that match. So Michael got 59.5/60 game points and 11/12 bonus points.

Awesome result by Michael Baron. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Paul Cavezza
11-10-2010, 01:19 PM
I liked playing the top guys and didn't mind losing to Adammo and Baron 5-0, realistically they were the games I enjoyed most and played the best in. As well as the Grant games where I swindled half a point and played a good game in a semi-slav to win the another. But not everyone enjoys getting demolished by Baron and I respect that.

What did you think about the 10x6 format in the first tournie and the 12x5 in this one?

I enjoyed the first one because it was novel and the standard in the b-group was high but not ridiculous. Yesterday to be honest I lost patience playing against the juniors who kept going 2 queens down when you have a minute left on the clock. That being said- I also had the bye at 9pm and after Nick Shroeder beat me with a pawn check 10 queens down part of me died:lol:

MichaelBaron
11-10-2010, 03:16 PM
I liked playing the top guys and didn't mind losing to Adammo and Baron 5-0, realistically they were the games I enjoyed most and played the best in. As well as the Grant games where I swindled half a point and played a good game in a semi-slav to win the another. But not everyone enjoys getting demolished by Baron and I respect that.

What did you think about the 10x6 format in the first tournie and the 12x5 in this one?

I enjoyed the first one because it was novel and the standard in the b-group was high but not ridiculous. Yesterday to be honest I lost patience playing against the juniors who kept going 2 queens down when you have a minute left on the clock. That being said- I also had the bye at 9pm and after Nick Shroeder beat me with a pawn check 10 queens down part of me died:lol:

I think if can get more players next time - it will solve the issue all together! In the very first Blitz Marathon - there was nobody under 1750 level in the top group.

ER
11-10-2010, 03:28 PM
You have to take under consideration the Sunday factor too! I am not convinced it's the best day to play all day Chess! Then again, I won't even contemplate on having the Blitz Marathon on a Saturday at the expense of the Allegro for whatever reason!
Which day was the first Blitz Marathon held? I can't remember!
Thinking twice, the way we played yesterday (a combination of Michael's proposal with Grant's improvement) was the fairest possible since it gave everyone equal chances!
The only reason I voted against it was that I was psychologically prepared to play in the original system since it provided for more interesting games amongst roughly equal opponents and reducing the dreadful 5-0 nightmare which has negative psychological effects on everyone!

jhughes
11-10-2010, 04:24 PM
No one cares Jack.
I wouldn't have posted that but Grant was being a 'Grammar Nazi' himself in the following page and I felt it necessary to point out misuse of the word 'who'. http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=11286&page=19

mikesguns
11-10-2010, 04:52 PM
I wouldn't have posted that but Grant was being a 'Grammar Nazi' himself in the following page and I felt it necessary to point out misuse of the word 'who'. http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=11286&page=19
Ok fair enough

Kevin Bonham
11-10-2010, 05:01 PM

This is true, but Grant was only doing so in response to the way Michael expressed his suggestions about chessplayers being "true intellectuals" (and football-watchers otherwise.) Therefore, Grant's own grammar need not be perfect in all instances for his criticism of Michael's comment to have been valid and I don't think his post was a standard "Grammar Nazi" case.