PDA

View Full Version : New Chess Club in Melbourne!

ER
27-07-2010, 09:33 PM
I am reproducing this information here, courtesy of the latest ACF Newsletter (27/07/10):

Looking for volunteers

Prahran Market is excited to announce it is launching a community Chess Club which is proudly sponsored by Bendigo Bank Prahran Market Branch.

Starting September 18, the Prahran Market Chess Club is open to everyone. The Chess Club will operate every Saturday morning from mid September from 10am-1pm in the Prahran Market Square.

Anyone can just turn up to play – no booking required and there is no cost involved.

There will be social chess games for beginner and intermediate players and challenge the Master for expert players. Don’t know how to play? Don’t let that put you off – we will be holding “Learn to Play” sessions as well!

Do you want to help us run the new Chess Club? Prahran Market is looking for Volunteers to help run the Chess Club on Saturday mornings. A love of the great game of Chess is a must!

Interested? Call 1300 4 CHESS (1300 424377) or email prahranmarket@chessclub.com.au for more information.

ER
27-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Very good timing as well!
Allows an hour to get to the Melbourne Chess Club for the Saturday Allegro (you need much less than that to get to North Fitzroy from Prahran) and gives the opprotunity for a good warm up before the grand battles in Leicester Street)!

MichaelBaron
28-07-2010, 07:21 PM
It is truly great to see new chess clubs starting!

Denis_Jessop
29-07-2010, 03:03 PM
This sounds rather like Street Chess in Canberra which has been held on Saturday mornings for many years in Civic Centre. It was first run by the late Patrick Connell and is now run by Shaun Press. Rapid Play tournaments are held and it has generally been successful throughout the years. It is for all comers and so is not a club in the usual sense.

DJ

ER
29-07-2010, 03:15 PM
This sounds rather like Street Chess in Canberra which has been held on Saturday mornings for many years in Civic Centre. It was first run by the late Patrick Connell and is now run by Shaun Press. Rapid Play tournaments are held and it has generally been successful throughout the years. It is for all comers and so is not a club in the usual sense.

DJ

Of what I know, Street Chess have their rapid games rated, has quite a No. of strong players participating and above all can now be justifiably classified as one of the capital's cultural institutions while it is a major outlet for Chess promotion.
Only the fact that Shaun is involved in its administration means a lot to me anyway.
Having said all that, expect surprises from what in its initial stages is promoted and presented as "Community Chess Club"! It can become the base of something bigger ;) in the future! :)

ChessGuru
31-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Nice article in the local paper (http://stonnington-leader.whereilive.com.au/lifestyle/story/check-out-prahran-markets-game/) - still looking for a few more volunteers.

johnlee13
27-09-2010, 04:58 AM
nice to hear about the new club opening in Melbourne I will join it
lee

Kevin Bonham
27-09-2010, 12:23 PM
nice to hear about the new club opening in Melbourne I will join it
lee

Even though your sigfile is spruiking for a computer repairs business in Hobart (which has its own chess club (http://www.chesstasmania.org.au/clubs/hobart.html) and social chess club (http://www.chesstasmania.org.au/clubs/hobart_social.html)?)