PDA

View Full Version : When did Boris Spassky play a simul in Canberra?

Jubilado
25-07-2010, 01:01 PM
A few years ago (maybe 10?) Boris Spassky visited Australia and played a simul in Canberra. I took along my copy of "Spassky's 100 Best Games" which he was kind enough to autograph for me. I want now to swear a Stat Dec to that effect to leave with the book, so that when I am long dead and gone the autograph will have what the antiquarians call "provenance". In order to do so I really need the date the autograph was given. Does anyone out there know when Spassky visited Australia? I'd be grateful for some help.

Bill Gletsos
25-07-2010, 01:44 PM
A few years ago (maybe 10?) Boris Spassky visited Australia and played a simul in Canberra. I took along my copy of "Spassky's 100 Best Games" which he was kind enough to autograph for me. I want now to swear a Stat Dec to that effect to leave with the book, so that when I am long dead and gone the autograph will have what the antiquarians call "provenance". In order to do so I really need the date the autograph was given. Does anyone out there know when Spassky visited Australia? I'd be grateful for some help.As far as I can tell the Canberra simul was held on the 26th May 1989 at the Westfield Shopping centre in Belconnen.

Jubilado
26-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Thank you Bill Gletsos for digging that up for me. You are correct as to venue so no doubt you are correct as to date as well. Much appreciated.

ER
26-07-2010, 05:16 PM
I am happy you now have the information you needed! Many a time I 've regretted not having done the right thing ie take books, records etc with me to be signed by personalities incl Chess Masters I met throughout the years! Cheers!
PS Bill can be very helpful, that's why I 've reinstated him in my list of "10 must read posters"! :)