PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Blayney Open Cancelled

Phil Bourke
14-07-2010, 09:40 AM
It is with regret that I announce that the Blayney Open will not be an event this year and possibly for the next few years.

The reasons being that my wife and I have become increasingly busy with other demands and cannot find the motivation to devote sufficient time to do this job properly. Hence rather than a half botched effort, we have decided that chess will have to move to the background for the immediate future.

Sorry to all those that may have been planning another fun weekend in Blayney, but hopefully we may rise from the ashes further down the track.

Goughfather
14-07-2010, 10:28 AM
That's a real pity. I've enjoyed playing in that tournament in the past and was looking forward to it this year, considering that I was in Brisbane last year and was unavailable.

I wish you and your family well in your other pursuits.

Trent Parker
15-07-2010, 03:17 PM
:( where am I going to get my chess fix for september now?

No weekenders in NSW until october :(

Might have to find another hobby.

Charles
16-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Phil.

Sorry to hear that but I understand the efforts required. Hopefully we will see you round the traps some time.

Peter Abbott
19-07-2010, 05:12 PM
It's a pity as it was always a pleasant weekend and the chess calendar will be poorer as a result.

Thanks Phil to you and your family for running these over the last few years and we all hope that priorities change and the chess bug bites again!

Garvinator
19-07-2010, 06:28 PM
I always think it is a disappointing situation that the loss of one organiser causes a whole tournament to fall over and be cancelled :(

Kevin Bonham
19-07-2010, 07:26 PM
I always think it is a disappointing situation that the loss of one organiser causes a whole tournament to fall over and be cancelled :(

It's always worth putting out a last despairing call to all and sundry at the local club to see if anyone else wants to run it in cases like this. Sometimes, people step up in such circumstances, even if they've done no admin work before. But I'd assume Phil has canvassed all the options.

chessgladiator
24-07-2010, 12:03 AM
Dear Phil, Sorry to hear that the Blayney Open has been cancelled, as I was looking forward to coming again this year. I fully understand your predicament with other activities outside of chess. Yes, we all have lives outside of chess! The unfortunate thing is, that usually everybody relies on one "driving force" (organiser) within a group or organisation, and when that person is no longer available for whatever reason, the whole lot usually falls over at a rapid rate. Phil has launched Blayney Chess and put that club well and truly on the map, so I would hope that somebody in the Blayney / Orange area will pick up the gauntlet and carry on Phil's good work. It would be disappointing not to see the Blayney Open Tournament on the NSWCA Calendar, and if that be the case, then it is another nail in the coffin for NSW Country Chess. :wall: