PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Australian Schools

Libby2
09-07-2010, 07:34 AM
If anyone has any information about the intended (confirmed) location for the 2010 Australian Schools Championship it will be HUGELY appreciated.

As I haven't been able to find out anything by asking directly - it's out there for any contribution you can offer.

I am the ACT Interschool Coordinator - we have two schools to have already qualified, both teams with international travel or other commitments late in the year that need to know a date (and preferably a venue) so that players can make a commitment one way or another.

Two more teams will qualify shortly - it is fantastic to be in a position to promote participation in what we are told is an important event by knowing when & where it will be held in advance of asking teams to complete a process to qualify for it.

I do have this same whinge almost every year. As any parent on this forum will know, late November/early December is a massive time in the school year with almost every child having a mix of significant commitments with graduations, formals, concerts etc.

As Bill has observed that states do not have problems hosting this event, I'm hoping we can find out fairly soon that the advertised date & state (WA) are definitely going ahead, or not. And if not, what the alternative will be.

Much appreciated.

Denis_Jessop
09-07-2010, 06:25 PM
If anyone has any information about the intended (confirmed) location for the 2010 Australian Schools Championship it will be HUGELY appreciated.

As I haven't been able to find out anything by asking directly - it's out there for any contribution you can offer.

I am the ACT Interschool Coordinator - we have two schools to have already qualified, both teams with international travel or other commitments late in the year that need to know a date (and preferably a venue) so that players can make a commitment one way or another.

Two more teams will qualify shortly - it is fantastic to be in a position to promote participation in what we are told is an important event by knowing when & where it will be held in advance of asking teams to complete a process to qualify for it.

I do have this same whinge almost every year. As any parent on this forum will know, late November/early December is a massive time in the school year with almost every child having a mix of significant commitments with graduations, formals, concerts etc.

As Bill has observed that states do not have problems hosting this event, I'm hoping we can find out fairly soon that the advertised date & state (WA) are definitely going ahead, or not. And if not, what the alternative will be.

Much appreciated.

According to the AusJCL website - www.australianjuniorchess.org.au - it will be held in Perth.

From the CAWA website, I found the following:

Venue: To be arranged

Tel(h): 9398 4242
Mobile: 0401 473 031
e-mail: hadix@vianet.net.au

DJ

Libby2
09-07-2010, 08:56 PM
According to the AusJCL website - www.australianjuniorchess.org.au - it will be held in Perth.

From the CAWA website, I found the following:

Venue: To be arranged

Tel(h): 9398 4242
Mobile: 0401 473 031
e-mail: hadix@vianet.net.au

DJ

Thanks Denis

I found all that too. Then asked if this was all confirmed (ie definitely WA, definitely those dates) - and not finding I could get an answer.

If people are postponing overseas travel. Or buying non-transferable fares to get the best available price, I like to be able to say - I have confirmed the dates and state with the organiser and you can do this with confidence. That's all.

george
30-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Hi All,

Prince Alfred College has again won the SAJCL Secondary Comp so will be representing SA in Perth. However , with a number of our lads finishing their year 12 IB's mid November playing in a chess comp in early mid December may not be on their radar unless we can give them heaps of forewarning.

Basically after their IB's finish there is really very little tying them to any obligations to their old school other than pride and comradship with team mates of last 6 - 7 years. So the sooner the "gap" year commencement can be delayed the better.

So PAC needs to know details of the Schools Final ASAP.

Garvinator
30-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Hi All,

Prince Alfred College has again won the SAJCL Secondary Comp so will be representing SA in Perth. However , with a number of our lads finishing their year 12 IB's mid November playing in a chess comp in early mid December may not be on their radar unless we can give them heaps of forewarning.

Basically after their IB's finish there is really very little tying them to any obligations to their old school other than pride and comradship with team mates of last 6 - 7 years. So the sooner the "gap" year commencement can be delayed the better.

So PAC needs to know details of the Schools Final ASAP.
Why not email the secretary of the Ausjcl for further information at tacgray@bigpond.net.au ?

ggardiner
17-10-2010, 07:51 PM
The Queensland qualifiers for the official Australian Schools Teams Chess Finals which are being held at Perth Modern School, Subiaco on the weekend of 4/5 December 2010 are:

Open High: Somerset College
Open Primary: Kings Christian College
All Girls High: Somerville House
All Girls Primary: Somerset College

All teams are looking forward to the event

Full details at http://www.cawa.org.au/

Garvinator
17-10-2010, 08:53 PM
From the website:

Dates: December 4th and 5th

Venue: Perth Modern School, Roberts Road, Subiaco

Entries: Please send entries, or expressions of interest to:
Haydn Barber,
3 Pilot Road,
Huntingdale 6110
Email: hadix@vianet.net.au
Tel: (08) 9398 4242

Round One: Will commence at 9.30am on Saturday, December 4th. If teams have trouble arranging flights that arrive in time, we will do our best to accommodate them.

PrizeGiving: This should be finished around 6.00pm on Sunday, December 5th.

Food: The Princess Margaret Hospital is directly across the road from the school, and they have a cafeteria.

Local Travel: More details will be provided soon, but there is a train station nearby (on the Perth – Fremantle line) and Perth has a free bus service that should run close to the school.

Amir K.
19-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Hi to all parents, teachers and organizers,

Possibly, I am going to accompany my daughter Melanie Karibasic to Perth, who is competing for Somerset Primary School from the Gold Coast.
At the moment I am discussing whether my wife or I is flying to Perth.

If by any chance I go:
I would like offer free LIVE GAMES transmission with MONROI. No more or less up to 20 Monroi Panels.

http://surfersparadiseopen.kingsofchess.biz/Images/Monroi%20bottom-banner-big.jpg

I think this is a great oportunity to advertise this event and also a great oportunity for parents to watch LIVE games of their childern.

Let me know if you are interested in this plan becoming reality.

Amir karibasic email: doors113@bigpond.com
Kings of chess club Inc
ph 07 55785872
www.kingsofchess.biz
www.goldcoastchessfestival.com

ggardiner
27-10-2010, 09:02 PM
I have been told by Haydn Barber that the following is a list of probables. He is yet to hear from a couple of states.

No Primary Open
1 Mitcham PS, South Australia
2 King’s Christian College, Queensland
3 Swan Christian College, Western Australia
4 Deepdene PS, Victoria
5 Kaleen PS, ACT

No Primary Girls
1 Somerset College, Queensland
2 Abbotsleigh Girls PS, NSW
3 Curtin PS, ACT

No Secondary Open
1 St Peter’s College, South Australia
2 Somerset College, Queensland
3 North Sydney Boys High School, NSW
4 Perth Modern School, WA

No Secondary Girls
1 Somerville House, Queensland
2 Hornsby Girls High School, NSW
3 Lyneham High School, ACT
4 Presbyterian Ladies College, Victoria

Tan the Bdx Man
03-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Hi just wondering have there been any updates on teams? And is there a site online where team names are posted the CAWA site doesn't seem to have that. Any extra info would be much appreciated for prep + etc. Thanks

ggardiner
15-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Haydn Barber has supplied these lists of players to date

2010 Australian Schools Teams Championship – Entries

Primary Open

Mitcham PS, South Australia

1. Lachlan CAMERON
2. Louis MacCONNELL
3. Charles WILKINSON
4. Dinula KALUDEWA

King’s Christian College, Queensland

1. Daniel LAPITAN
2. Martin JACK
3. Matthew PYPER
4. Daniel NOWSHADI

Swan Christian College, Western Australia

1. Daniel D’ANGELO
2. David STEBBINS
3. James EDLAND
4. Sherran DeSILVA

Deepdene PS, Victoria

1. Karl ZELESCO
2. Max CHEW LEE
3. Matthew CHEAH
4. Steven CHEN
5. Alanna CHEW LEE

Kaleen PS, ACT

1. Jamie-Lee GUO
2. Marat ROSTOV
3. James ASHTON
4. Johnny HAJDU

Primary Girls

Somerset College, Queensland

1. Melanie KARIBASIC
2. Elizabeth KAY
3. Anneliese McCONNELL
4. Isabelle LEE

Abbotsleigh Girls PS, NSW

Curtin PS, ACT

1. Emma DUNSTONE
2. Kezia KARENINA
3. Aislinn SMITH
4. Jaimie LIEBOWITZ
5. Lucy SUGERMAN (not expected to play)
6. Zoe SUGERMAN (not expected to play)

Wilderness School, South Australia

1. Cindy CHEUNG
2. Annika GRENFELL
3. Kira WYSOKE
4. Lulu XIAO

Secondary Open

St Peter’s College, South Australia

Somerset College, Queensland

1. Jonas MULLER
2. Brendan BAKER
3. Alex ARASE
4. Kevin TUFFAN

North Sydney Boys High School, NSW

1. Kevin TAN
2. Jack RUAN
3. Oscar WANG
4. Peter YANG
5. Jerry XU

Perth Modern School, Western Australia

1. Neville SHAH
2. Angel YU
3. Erwin TEE
4. Michael Xie
5. Joseph THOMPSON

Radford College, ACT

1. Edward XING
2. Willis LO
3. James LI
4. Yijun ZHANG
5. Joanne MASON

Secondary Girls

Somerville House, Queensland

Hornsby Girls High School, NSW

1. Pearl ELGINDY
2. Nicola SMITH
3. Neta ARAD
4. Elizabeth JOANNOU
5. Sarah KUNG

Lyneham High School, ACT

1. Emma GUO
2. Zalia LAI
3. Anna ZHOU
4. Jessie DONG

Presbyterian Ladies College, Victoria

1 Sally YU (captain)
2 Sakthi RAVITHARAN
3 Chloe WONG
4 Jennifer CHEN

ChessGuru
02-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Good luck to all teams....

Thanks to Curtin Primary for sharing this free publicity from the Canberra papers recently...

Curtin News1 (http://chesskids.com.au/files/pdf/curtin-in-finals1.png)
Curtin News2 (http://chesskids.com.au/files/pdf/curtin-in-finals2.png)

Lynx
04-12-2010, 10:52 PM
I am wondering how come that St. Ives Primary Team (NSW) has got the lowest rated player on the first board. We parents hear each year that the players in teams must be ordered and seated according to their rating order and we do this in this way. But every year there is a team finding all kind of excuses to evade the rule. Can the AusJCL enforce this rule once and for all as applied to all teams, without any excuses and exceptions?

Oepty
04-12-2010, 11:50 PM
I am wondering how come that St. Ives Primary Team (NSW) has got the lowest rated player on the first board. We parents hear each year that the players in teams must be ordered and seated according to their rating order and we do this in this way. But every year there is a team finding all kind of excuses to evade the rule. Can the AusJCL enforce this rule once and for all as applied to all teams, without any excuses and exceptions?

There is an ACF by-law on the Australian Schools Championships available at http://www.auschess.org.au/constitution/By-Law%20No4%20Schools%20at%207%20Jan%2007.pdf
This says it is from January 2007 and I am not completely sure it is up to date because of the creation of the AusJCL since then, but it says the teams must play in order of playing strength. It does not say rating order.
Scott

Lynx
05-12-2010, 09:53 AM
There is an ACF by-law on the Australian Schools Championships available at http://www.auschess.org.au/constitution/By-Law%20No4%20Schools%20at%207%20Jan%2007.pdf
This says it is from January 2007 and I am not completely sure it is up to date because of the creation of the AusJCL since then, but it says the teams must play in order of playing strength. It does not say rating order.
Scott

I thought that rating is the only possible indicator of the chess playing strength available. What playing strength does ACF by-law use then and how is it measured?

Many parents would like to ask this question.

Afitz
05-12-2010, 09:53 AM
There are a few teams here in Perth playing out of order with regard to rating. When i asked regarding this, i was shown a document which indicates a 50 point leeway rule which in my point of view is fair enough. However why is this document not published widely on the ACF page - there should be a rules and regulations section for events so that each event has rules set out and used each year.

Otherwise the venue being used is a set of school classrooms - one room for each tournament. There is a WACA person in each room to oversee and spectators are not allowed in. I believe the venue is quite good as this allows the kids full concentration - analysis rooms are across the corridor for each state.

Libby2
05-12-2010, 10:04 AM

This was raised before the start of play yesterday. It was my understanding that the team was in strength order (even if not in rating order) so I did not object. However overheard later were several suggestions that this was not the case and that it was about personal preferences of players. I don't know the individuals well enough to know what the story actually is.

It would be helpful to have the NSW team known a little earlier so that these issues are known and addressed in advance and not on the first morning of play.

I would hope that the NSWJCL would counsel their participating schools appropriately and whatever playing order they arrive at would be in keeping with the NSWJCL understanding of their playing strength. I operated on the assumption that the team was in the same order as they competed in for the NSWJCL event. My own team is out of rating order but all players are in the 300-400 range so I don't think there's a lot at stake and our order was arrived at through consideration of all players results this year. And very inconsistent results they are too - so I am never confident of the conclusions I've arrived at.

The venue has been very good (in my opinion). The WA organisers have been very friendly and accommodating although I think it's a little bit too sympathetic to say players who are not comfortable recording moves don't need to, and are not expected to attempt to. Whatever the individual standard of players we need to have an expectation that everyone make their best attempt to compete under the rules of an elite event.

I was at David's event on Monday & Tuesday - with my own 5 year old competitor expected to write down her moves (admittedly with limited accuracy but not excused based on inexperience, age or by the fact that handwriting is a bigger issue than remembering the skill itself!)

I hope we will get online results soon as I only really know where the Primary Girls' results are at but I will endeavour to collect copies of the sp files myself at the end of play and post online if I can do that. I will have time to fill before catching the red-eye this evening.:eek:

Oepty
05-12-2010, 12:42 PM
There are a few teams here in Perth playing out of order with regard to rating. When i asked regarding this, i was shown a document which indicates a 50 point leeway rule which in my point of view is fair enough. However why is this document not published widely on the ACF page - there should be a rules and regulations section for events so that each event has rules set out and used each year.

Otherwise the venue being used is a set of school classrooms - one room for each tournament. There is a WACA person in each room to oversee and spectators are not allowed in. I believe the venue is quite good as this allows the kids full concentration - analysis rooms are across the corridor for each state.

I had vague memories of this 50 point rule but the document I linked to was the only one I could find. Some of the trouble is in my experience is that schools, at least in SA, do not decide the order of there teams based on ACF rating, quite often not all of them have ACF ratings which makes it hard. There have been cases in SA secondary teams where players of 1800+ strength have played board 1 for their school but have not had ACF ratings, or out dated ratings. I am not sure forcing teams to change the board order they have played with all year is necessarily a good thing either.
Scott

Oepty
05-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Results are available at http://www.cawa.org.au/2010AustralianSchoolsTeamsChampionship.html
Scott

that Caesar guy
05-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Results are available at http://www.cawa.org.au/2010AustralianSchoolsTeamsChampionship.html
Scott
Was waiting for someone to post that :P

Oepty
05-12-2010, 01:22 PM
I thought that rating is the only possible indicator of the chess playing strength available. What playing strength does ACF by-law use then and how is it measured?

Many parents would like to ask this question.

I have heard of board 1 being chosen by the winner of intraschool tournaments, or a match between the two strongest players in the team. I have asked about what seemed to me to be strange board orders before and got those answers. I also think there is sometimes a bias towards older players getting higher boards in some instances which is not playing strength. Also ratings of juniors is not always very accurate because it might be based on very few games, or be out of date. A junior can improve by hundreds of rating points in a couple of years and if they don't play many or any ACF rated games then the rating could be well not reflect this improvements. Even if a team is chosen at the start of the year in ACF rating order this order could change throughout the year and be out of date. With the latest set of ACF ratings coming out only a few days before the event this could force a change of board order. This might be okay except players might have prepared for certain players based on who they think they will be playing. This would be wasted if they have to change board order at the last minute. There is also a question of what to do with ACF unrated players, can you play an unrated player on board 1? Do you have to play them after all the rated players?
Scott

EDIT: There is also NSWJCL ratings which could be used as well I guess.

ER
05-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Hey guys! :)
I reckon you let the captain of each team organise their line - up in consultation with other captains. Kids have their own ways of organising themselves and have a good time doing it. :clap:
If i were running tournaments of that (important) nature, i 'd keep grown ups involvement to the minimum. :lol: :owned:

ER
05-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Scott thanks for the webpage!
Impressive performances so far by

North Sydney Boys High School (NSW)
Somerville House (QLD)
King's Christian College (QLD)

and last but not least!

Mount View Primary School (VIC)!!!

Libby2
05-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Place Name Feder Score

1 Mount View Primary School, VIC 14.5
2 Curtin Primary School, ACT 13
3-4 Wilderness School, SA 10
Abbotsleigh Girls Primary, NSW 10
5 Somerset College, QLD 8.5
6 Perth United, WA 4

Libby2
05-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Place Name Feder Score

1 Deepdene Primary School, VIC 15.5
2 Sydney Grammar School, NSW 14.5
3 King's Christian College, QLD 13.5
4 Kaleen Primary School, ACT 10.5
5 Mitcham Primary School, SA 6
6 Swan Christian College, WA 0

Libby2
05-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Place Name Feder Score

1 Somerville House, QLD 16
2 Lyneham High School, ACT 14.5
3 Presbyterian Ladies Colle, VIC 14
4 Hornsby Girls High School, NSW 3.5

Libby2
05-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Place Name Feder Score

1 North Sydney Boys High Sc, NSW 15.5
2 Balwyn High School, VIC 14
3 St Peter's College, SA 11
4 Radford College, ACT 10.5
5 Somerset College, QLD 8
6 Perth Modern School, WA 1

Oepty
05-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Thank you Libby, excellent work.
Scott

Libby2
05-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Hey guys! :)
I reckon you let the captain of each team organise their line - up in consultation with other captains. Kids have their own ways of organising themselves and have a good time doing it. :clap:
If i were running tournaments of that (important) nature, i 'd keep grown ups involvement to the minimum. :lol: :owned:

Actually I think it's pretty simple. Irrespective of age, experience, rating, gender, personal preferences, tantrums (parents or players), all teams in ACT interschool chess are expected to front up in a playing order that is a "good faith" judgement of playing strength.

This may include changes through the year - my own team changed from the playing order in Term 1 qualification events. It's tricky to drop a child in the original team but I've never encountered a problem with changing board order given young & inexperienced children can change in relative strength quite rapidly.

I don't think most Victorian interschool events are conducted 4 boards across from 4 boards, as the ASTC and ACT interschool chess are. If it is conducted in this way, it's pretty easy to see how results can be manipulated by playing out of strength order. And you may have too much faith in the average junior player as some (not many, but some) are quite happy to wangle their way to a lower board in pursuit of a better personal result.

This is not to suggest there is an issue with the NSW team - I am not in the loop enough to rank players like this myself. I just don't understand how anyone thinks there is a difficulty or issue in determining the order of strength in a team from their best to weakest player except where players are so close it would make no difference. And like our own ACT events, it is part of the rules, and a good faith expectation that everyone will do that.

ER
05-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Actually I think it's pretty simple. Irrespective of age, experience, rating, gender, personal preferences, tantrums (parents or players), all teams in ACT interschool chess are expected to front up in a playing order that is a "good faith" judgement of playing strength.

This may include changes through the year - my own team changed from the playing order in Term 1 qualification events. It's tricky to drop a child in the original team but I've never encountered a problem with changing board order given young & inexperienced children can change in relative strength quite rapidly.

I don't think most Victorian interschool events are conducted 4 boards across from 4 boards, as the ASTC and ACT interschool chess are. If it is conducted in this way, it's pretty easy to see how results can be manipulated by playing out of strength order. And you may have too much faith in the average junior player as some (not many, but some) are quite happy to wangle their way to a lower board in pursuit of a better personal result.

This is not to suggest there is an issue with the NSW team - I am not in the loop enough to rank players like this myself. I just don't understand how anyone thinks there is a difficulty or issue in determining the order of strength in a team from their best to weakest player except where players are so close it would make no difference. And like our own ACT events, it is part of the rules, and a good faith expectation that everyone will do that.

The above says it all Libby2 and thanks! :clap: BTW I was only joking in my previous. For me the most important thing in any junior tournament is for the kids to have a good time while playing their best. This is a lifetime experience for the children and the better the memories the better the people who cherish them! Good luck for the rest of the tournament! :)

Garvinator
05-12-2010, 07:38 PM
I thought the creation of the AusJcl was supposed to stop all these issues by having one main junior organisation to provide better organisation for these events.

The Bennett
06-12-2010, 10:43 AM
I thought the creation of the AusJcl was supposed to stop all these issues by having one main junior organisation to provide better organisation for these events.
I agree with you, you'd think a national junior organisation would result in better organisation of National junior tournaments.

Denis_Jessop
06-12-2010, 11:45 AM
I agree with you, you'd think a national junior organisation would result in better organisation of National junior tournaments.

It doesn't seem to me to be apparent from this thread that there were serious problems with the organisation. The kinds of matters mentioned here are always likely to arise no matter who is running the event.

DJ

ER
06-12-2010, 02:51 PM

The more I read about this subject, the more I appreciate the wisdom of Libby2's statement!