PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Missiles

Cat
04-09-2004, 02:17 PM
I've just read in Playboy that the Australian Government is planning the purchase of billions of dollars worth of Cruise Missiles, making ours one of the most potent aerial military forces in the world. Apparently, countries in our neighbourhood, including Indonesia are accussing Australia of creating a local arms race and have voiced stern objections.

I've seen little in the local media about this, I wondered if anyone else was aware of the story.

Garvinator
04-09-2004, 02:21 PM
I've just read in Playboy that the Australian Government is planning the purchase of billions of dollars worth of Cruise Missiles, making ours one of the most potent aerial military forces in the world. Apparently, countries in our neighbourhood, including Indonesia are accussing Australia of creating a local arms race and have voiced stern objections.

I've seen little in the local media about this, I wondered if anyone else was aware of the story.
reading playboy hey, just for the articles right :lol: ;)

Anyways, i have seen quite a bit about this in the media, about a week ago in on the tv news.

Alan Shore
04-09-2004, 02:23 PM

This raises a few interesting points.

1. You buy Playboy?
2. You read the articles in Playboy?
3. You get your info Australian defence from Playboy?
4. Of all the articles in Playboy, you choose this one to comment on?!

Anyway to answer your question, no, haven't heard anything. Wouldn't put it past the 'lying rodent' to cover it up though :confused:

JGB
04-09-2004, 04:19 PM

I have not heard of this? And what would our launch system be for cruise missiles? Would we use ground based launchers? It sounds a bit far fetched at the moment unless we receive a grant from the US military as a forward base of operations. Was is the percieved threat at this moment in time which has raised ideas of buying a multi billion dollar Cruise missile system?

Bill Gletsos
04-09-2004, 04:58 PM
Assuming DR is quoting it properly :hmm: then I winder where Playboy got that crap about billions.
The figure is more like $450 million.

http://smh.com.au/articles/2004/08/26/1093456715338.html

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200408/s1185909.htm

Cat
04-09-2004, 05:41 PM
Assuming DR is quoting it properly :hmm: then I winder where Playboy got that crap about billions.
The figure is more like $450 million.

http://smh.com.au/articles/2004/08/26/1093456715338.html

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200408/s1185909.htm

I thought it was $450m American, but if AUD I stand corrected, only 1/2 billion! Remember, though, potential purchase prices are always under-estimates.

Cat
04-09-2004, 05:42 PM
This raises a few interesting points.

1. You buy Playboy?
2. You read the articles in Playboy?
3. You get your info Australian defence from Playboy?
4. Of all the articles in Playboy, you choose this one to comment on?!

Anyway to answer your question, no, haven't heard anything. Wouldn't put it past the 'lying rodent' to cover it up though :confused:

The only thing I could find interesting in it!

Cat
04-09-2004, 05:45 PM
I have not heard of this? And what would our launch system be for cruise missiles? Would we use ground based launchers? It sounds a bit far fetched at the moment unless we receive a grant from the US military as a forward base of operations. Was is the percieved threat at this moment in time which has raised ideas of buying a multi billion dollar Cruise missile system?

Who knows what Johnny Rotten has on his mind. I suspect he's just following orders from the Pentagon. It's being commissioned by the RAAF as I understand it.

arosar
04-09-2004, 07:42 PM
This is correct. We will purchase cruise missiles. I think this move is to maintain our long range strike capability once we retire the F111s. The problem with this is that none of our SEA neighbours has anywhere near our military capability. And it's likely that this [im]balance of power will remain as is for some time to come. So who the hec are these missiles intended for exactly?

JGB - I understand that these will be air launched using both Orions and FA18s.

On another front I am very happy that Defence have opted for the Eurocopter option than the stupid US Blackhawk one. At least they got something right.

AR

JGB
04-09-2004, 11:21 PM
On another front I am very happy that Defence have opted for the Eurocopter option than the stupid US Blackhawk one. At least they got something right.

AR

spot on ;)

PHAT
05-09-2004, 07:45 AM
Missiles? Biiiig deeeal!

So called "conventional wars" do not happen any more.
Soldiers are useless against a population - unless we are talking genicide.
Nukes are realy serious, mum.

We should have the best spy network possible.
We should have all civilians trained in weapons use.
We should have nukes.

Anything else is just old fashioned kiddies toys and games.

JGB
06-09-2004, 12:05 AM
JGB - I understand that these will be air launched using both Orions and FA18s.

AR

Are you sure an Fa18 Hornet can carry a crusie missile, and if so it would be flying without arms and almost without fuel tanks?!

arosar
06-09-2004, 09:32 AM
Are you sure an Fa18 Hornet can carry a crusie missile, and if so it would be flying without arms and almost without fuel tanks?!

Yes, I'm sure.

AR