View Full Version : MCC Blitz Marathon

Grant Szuveges
18-06-2010, 05:17 AM
MELBOURNE CHESS CLUB

BLITZ MARATHON

ĎAn event for real chess fanatics!í

When: Sunday July 11th, beginning at 10am

Where: Melbourne Chess Club, 66 Leicester St, Fitzroy 3065

Format: 10 player round robin (hopefully several, based on playing strength)
Each player plays each opponent 6 times (54 games in total)

Timetable: 9.30am, entries close
10.00am, round 1
11.00am, round 2
12.00 noon, round 3
1.00pm, lunch break
2.00pm, round 4
3.00pm, round 5
4.00pm, round 6
5.00pm, tea break
6.00pm, round 7
7.00pm, round 8
8.00pm, round 9

Time Controls: Blitz (5 minutes per player per game)

Prizes: 90% of money collected in entry fees. With a field of 10 MCC members ($200), the prize pool would be as follows (in each group):
1st $80, 2nd $50, 3rd $30, 4th $20

Parking: Lots of free parking close to MCC on Sundays. For advice on parking, please contact Grant Szuveges 0401-925-075 or via email: grantszuveges@gmail.com

Entry Fees: $20 MCC members, $30 non-members

Relegation: If there are 2 or more groups, the top two players in a group will book their place in the higher group in the next marathon (October 3rd). However, the bottom two players will be relegated to the lower group! In the case of a tie, all involved will move up or down for the next tournament.

The relegation concept is so that everyone still has something to play for even if they know that they can not win a prize. This is particularly important in a marathon style event.

Conduct: Players are expected to play EVERY game of the event. Withdrawals are not permitted due to the style of the event. Withdrawing from a tournament like this gives each of your unplayed opponents 6 points (not just 1) and thus ruins the whole event for all players involved. Anyone who does not play all games will NOT be permitted to play in this event again. This event isnít for everyone. If you can not handle it, please do not enter.

Advice: Get a good night sleep the night before.
Prepare for your opponents.
Arm yourself with chocolate and caffeine drinks.
Eat a high carb dinner the night before (pasta etc).
Eat a good breakfast (but not too much).
Donít play blitz between rounds.
Donít get disheartened if you start badly Ė there are 54 games!
This is a marathon, not a sprint!
This is not work, itís a fun chess event Ė enjoy it!

Enquiries: For any questions, please contact Grant Szuveges on 0401-925-075 or via email: grantszuveges@gmail.com

Grant Szuveges
19-06-2010, 09:20 AM
We already have 4 players confirmed.... I will keep adding to the list as I get more entries in..... So far we have:

Frank LEKKAS
Brad ASHLOCK
Grant SZUVEGES
Chris KOLAK

Saragossa
19-06-2010, 11:38 AM
This sounds like my kind of chess event! I'll check out flights, but I think july is around mid-year exam's. Perhaps I should organise a Tasmanian version of this tournament. Great idea, Grant.

NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK
19-06-2010, 02:02 PM
What is the scoring system for this event:game points (out of 54) or match points (out of 9)?

Grant Szuveges
19-06-2010, 11:31 PM
What is the scoring system for this event:game points (out of 54) or match points (out of 9)?

Its out of 54. So, if you beat someone with 4.5/6, then you will get 4.5 points and your opponent will get 1.5 This way there is more incentive to try to beat someone 6-0.... Maybe we should have a bonus point for winning with a "Fischer score".....

Paul Cavezza
20-06-2010, 03:34 AM
Hey Grant, sounds like a fun event, i'll be back in the land of oz by then so you can count me in! I'd also like to renew my membership, do we do half yearly stuff at the MCC?

Cheers,
Paul

MichaelBaron
20-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Hey Grant, sounds like a fun event, i'll be back in the land of oz by then so you can count me in! I'd also like to renew my membership, do we do half yearly stuff at the MCC?

Cheers,
Paul
Yay, welcome back!:clap:
Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Grant Szuveges
21-06-2010, 12:11 AM

Cheers,
Paul

Paul, there is a private message for you in your inbox.

Kevin Bonham
21-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Sounds like a great tournament idea. I'd try it here but I doubt we would get enough masochists.

Garvinator
21-06-2010, 01:43 AM
Sounds like a great tournament idea. I'd try it here but I doubt we would get enough masochists.I think a similar idea to this could be to have it as one massive swiss, but in this version of the idea, it is possible for two players to be paired together more than once.

This could allow players to participate who can not commit to a whole day and prizes are only paid out to the highest points earners.

Paul Cavezza
21-06-2010, 03:32 AM
I've been looking forward to coming back to the MCC for a few months now Michael! Should be fun and a good tournament to reintegrate. You going to play? Kolak needs a Fischer-ing! ;)

Grant, your inbox is full but in short i'm back next saturday and will pop in for the allegro when jetlag is over, and i'd be happy to help out in any way I can.
Paul!

Desmond
21-06-2010, 08:02 PM

Brilliant stuff, love it! :lol:

Grant Szuveges
21-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Brilliant stuff, love it! :lol:

I forgot to add "Wear loose and comfortable clothing"

Grant Szuveges
22-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Hi everyone. 6 entries so far, so at least one round robin is filling up quickly... Contact me if you want to play so that I can add you to the list:

Frank LEKKAS
Brad ASHLOCK
Grant SZUVEGES
Chris KOLAK
James MACAULAY
Paul CAVEZZA

Grant Szuveges
22-06-2010, 02:20 AM
Sounds like a great tournament idea. I'd try it here but I doubt we would get enough masochists.

Its interesting that this sort of event is considered to be a lot of chess for one day, when surely it is a lot less taxing than one day of a weekender where people play 2 or 3 games...

Paul Cavezza
22-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Heya,
Will we play each player 6 times in a row per hour or move from opponent to opponent?
Cheers! Paul

ps. let's keep this going shall we:

Don’t play blitz between rounds.
Don’t get disheartened if you start badly – there are 54 games!
This is not work, it’s a fun chess event – enjoy it!
Wear loose and comfortable clothing
Avoid tight binding underwear
A good player pre-orders pizza for 1pm

Grant Szuveges
23-06-2010, 12:51 AM
Heya,
Will we play each player 6 times in a row per hour or move from opponent to opponent?
Cheers! Paul

ps. let's keep this going shall we:

Wear loose and comfortable clothing
Avoid tight binding underwear
A good player pre-orders pizza for 1pm

We play eachother 6 times in a row (its too complicated the other way - plus this has a more 'matchplay' type feel to it)....

I agree with you about the pizza - I just had one tonight from the Vegie Bar (when I was down at Novice Night giving a lecture) - called an Italiano from memory..... very nice, and not too heavy either - perfect for a blitz marathon... goats cheese, red onion, pumpkin, spinach leaves etc - surely thats enough to entice some more people to play in this thing....

Garvinator
23-06-2010, 10:07 AM
We play eachother 6 times in a row (its too complicated the other way - plus this has a more 'matchplay' type feel to it)Hello Grant, if I understand the format correctly, there will be a six different 10 player round robin competitions held during the day.

So the first set of round robin comps starts at 10am, then later in the day after promotion/relegation, comp 2 starts. Is that correct?

If I do understand this correctly:

In regards to it being too complicated the other way, Lets say you do only end up with one group of 10 players.

I think it would be much more complicated to play the same person six times, then move to the next opponent and play them six times. While this might seem easily to do, what happens to the players scores etc if someone withdraws half way through? The withdrawer has played some opponents six times and some zero times.

I think it would be much safer and quite easy to run each group in normal round robin fashion. And just repeat it six times.

Then if someone does withdraw after one of the rounds, at least everyone else has played the withdrawer the same number of times.

I see you do mention penalties for withdrawal for future competitions, but that does not much to help this competition with the impact on the competitors who do play the entire competition.

Paul Cavezza
23-06-2010, 10:17 AM
I think comp 2 is held on a different day a couple of months later, which might be mentioned in an earlier post. I like the 6 game back to back format as it gets you into a rhythm and you can try out different variations on similar openings etc.
Also as grant says if we want to get through a round robin with 6 games V each player swapping all the time will eat up way too much time.

Desmond
23-06-2010, 12:17 PM
I think comp 2 is held on a different day a couple of months later, which might be mentioned in an earlier post. I like the 6 game back to back format as it gets you into a rhythm and you can try out different variations on similar openings etc.
Also as grant says if we want to get through a round robin with 6 games V each player swapping all the time will eat up way too much time.
I like it too. Main problem with blitz tournaments is that you spend half the day waiting around, waiting for results to come in, waiting for the draw to be done and finding your board and opponent. The 6 game back to back reduces a lot of that.

Grant Szuveges
24-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Hello Grant, if I understand the format correctly, there will be a six different 10 player round robin competitions held during the day.

So the first set of round robin comps starts at 10am, then later in the day after promotion/relegation, comp 2 starts. Is that correct?

No, there will only be 6 different 10 player round robins if we get 60 players. If we get 30 players, then there will be 3, 20 players there will be 2, etc...

Each player plays each other player 6 times in a row (54 games in all).

At 10am, the first round starts, so player A plays player B six times. At 11am, player A plays player C six times, and then at 12 noon, player A plays player Z six times etc.

Competition 2 is in October, unless we organise one before then.

Get your entries in people - lets make this a big event to be held regularly!

Grant Szuveges
24-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Here is the latest list of entries:

Brad ASHLOCK
Paul CAVEZZA
Chris KOLAK
Frank LEKKAS
James MACAULAY
Michael SKOLNIK
Grant SZUVEGES

Garvinator
24-06-2010, 09:41 PM
At 10am, the first round starts, so player A plays player B six times. At 11am, player A plays player C six times, and then at 12 noon, player A plays player Z six times etc.This is what I was concerned about with six games being played one after the other. That if a player withdraws (for whatever reason) half way through the competition, then it will mean he/she will have played some opponents six times and others zero.

I think it would be the better option to have all nine rounds played as a normal round robin. Allow players to find their next round opponent and start as soon as they are ready. As it is round robin, all nine rounds can be put up right at the start. No need to wait for one round to finish before starting another, like in a swiss.

Then after the nine rounds are played, for rounds 10-18, the colours are reversed. This then happens three more times and everyone has played each other six times.

Lekko
24-06-2010, 09:43 PM
No word from Baron or Morris?

Grant Szuveges
24-06-2010, 10:06 PM
This is what I was concerned about with six games being played one after the other. That if a player withdraws (for whatever reason) half way through the competition, then it will mean he/she will have played some opponents six times and others zero.

I think it would be the better option to have all nine rounds played as a normal round robin. Allow players to find their next round opponent and start as soon as they are ready. As it is round robin, all nine rounds can be put up right at the start. No need to wait for one round to finish before starting another, like in a swiss.

Then after the nine rounds are played, for rounds 10-18, the colours are reversed. This then happens three more times and everyone has played each other six times.

I clearly see your point Garvin, but Im fairly certain that none of the players involved will withdraw (hopefully that comment doesnt come back to haunt me!).

Ive told people specifically that they are expected to play every game and that withdrawals will not be tolerated.

Your idea has merit, but I must admit that I do like the idea of a mini "match" against each opponent, as it means that someone can go 6 points up or down at once - it seems a bit more exciting.....

I also like the idea that if you get a Fischer score (6-0) against someone, that you get a bonus point.... (We wont necessarily do that though)...

This is a good forum for discussion on this new(?) type of tournament, so Im keen to hear what others think also...

Grant Szuveges
24-06-2010, 10:07 PM

Baron is thinking about it but is trying to convince me to start it at 11am instead of 10am...... Ive got no idea why...

Im not sure about Morris, but he knows that it is on...

MichaelBaron
24-06-2010, 11:42 PM

I may play...Just do not like the idea of 10 am start -11 am would be heaps better! :). 11 am so we can sleep better before long day of play...those who like jogging and exercise..get exercise done, have good breakfast -if a day start in a healthy way and we are energetic - can play chess afterwards! With later start - can easily play chess till 11 pm without getting tired!

In any case I am very happy to see this tournament on the calendar and wish it all the success. I am also happy to see the Transfer event on (even though i do not play transfer). The more different kinds of events we can get - the better. Fixed openings - is another great even to t be introduced!

Grant Szuveges
25-06-2010, 10:52 AM
I may play...Just do not like the idea of 10 am start -11 am would be heaps better! :). 11 am so we can sleep better before long day of play...those who like jogging and exercise..get exercise done, have good breakfast -if a day start in a healthy way and we are energetic - can play chess afterwards! With later start - can easily play chess till 11 pm without getting tired!

In any case I am very happy to see this tournament on the calendar and wish it all the success. I am also happy to see the Transfer event on (even though i do not play transfer). The more different kinds of events we can get - the better. Fixed openings - is another great even to t be introduced!

I would love it start at 11am too, but the problem with that, is that it will finish an hour later (on a Sunday evening) and I want to make the event attractive to juniors and people who work 9-5 on Mondays too. Hope to see you playing!

Grant Szuveges
25-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Fixed openings - is another great even to t be introduced!

Michael - you should certainly play in that one! We need a big name player there!

Grant Szuveges
26-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Hi everyone. We now have 11 players as certain starters. Assuming we get more players, this field will divide and multiply into 2 tournaments based on playing strength. At the moment, the definites are:

Brad ASHLOCK
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Goran ILIC
Chris KOLAK
Frank LEKKAS
James MACAULAY
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Michael SKOLNIK
Grant SZUVEGES
Tony TOSEVSKI

The list of 'maybes' at the moment is:

Michael BARON
Jack HUGHES
Jesse JAGER
Simon KARUMBI
Adolph LEKKAS
David STIMSON
Elizabeth WARREN

So at this stage I expect that we will have enough for two round robins, and three if we are lucky......

A number of potential players have asked me "Isnt it a lot of chess for one day?" Thats a valid question, but if you examine it carefully, you will notice that the schedule is a lot less taxing than the Sunday on 3 day weekenders such as the Begonia and the Vic Open - where you play 3 long games, often lasting 13 hours total. In this event, you only have to play for 11 hours and that includes 2 one hour breaks for meals. And, you dont have to play the next day or the day before (unless you play allegro too).....

So, if you can handle the Vic Open, or Ballarat, you will certainly be able to handle this tournament! Get your entries in!

Mischa
26-06-2010, 05:02 PM
I think James is away that weekend

jhughes
27-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Hi everyone. We now have 11 players as certain starters. Assuming we get more players, this field will divide and multiply into 2 tournaments based on playing strength. At the moment, the definites are:

Brad ASHLOCK
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Goran ILIC
Chris KOLAK
Frank LEKKAS
James MACAULAY
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Michael SKOLNIK
Grant SZUVEGES
Tony TOSEVSKI

The list of 'maybes' at the moment is:

Michael BARON
Jack HUGHES
Jesse JAGER
Simon KARUMBI
Adolph LEKKAS
David STIMSON
Elizabeth WARREN

So at this stage I expect that we will have enough for two round robins, and three if we are lucky......

A number of potential players have asked me "Isnt it a lot of chess for one day?" Thats a valid question, but if you examine it carefully, you will notice that the schedule is a lot less taxing than the Sunday on 3 day weekenders such as the Begonia and the Vic Open - where you play 3 long games, often lasting 13 hours total. In this event, you only have to play for 11 hours and that includes 2 one hour breaks for meals. And, you dont have to play the next day or the day before (unless you play allegro too).....

So, if you can handle the Vic Open, or Ballarat, you will certainly be able to handle this tournament! Get your entries in!
I will be able to come however I would be late, and probably miss the first one and a half rounds.Would that be OK?

MichaelBaron
27-06-2010, 01:46 PM
What if we have say....24 entries....(rather than 20 required for 2 round robins) may be we can turn it into a swiss :)

Lekko
27-06-2010, 02:39 PM
What if we have say....24 entries....(rather than 20 required for 2 round robins) may be we can turn it into a swiss :)
Then it wouldn't be a marathon...

MichaelBaron
27-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Then it wouldn't be a marathon...

Frank, 9x6 swiss rounds = 54 games....how is it different from a 10 player round robin :doh:

jhughes
27-06-2010, 05:19 PM
I will be able to come however I would be late, and probably miss the first one and a half rounds.Would that be OK?
Never mind that post, I have read the sheet and it seems that me doing this would not be received well by others. Oh well :(

Lekko
27-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Frank, 9x6 swiss rounds = 54 games....how is it different from a 10 player round robin :doh:
What... How can it be swiss and exactly the same as a round robin?

Grant Szuveges
28-06-2010, 02:19 AM
A larger field is beginning to emerge for the event, with a few of Melbourne Chess Club's stronger FMs seriously considering playing in the tournament. Here are the definite and maybe list at the moment....

Definite (13):

Brad ASHLOCK
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Goran ILIC
Chris KOLAK
Tanya KOLAK
Frank LEKKAS
James MACAULAY
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Michael SKOLNIK
David STIMSON
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
Tony TOSEVSKI

Maybe (9):

Michael BARON (FM)
David BEAUMONT
Jack HUGHES
Jesse JAGER
Bill JORDAN (FM)
Simon KARUMBI
Adolph LEKKAS
Marcus RAINE
Elizabeth WARREN

MichaelBaron
28-06-2010, 10:26 AM
What... How can it be swiss and exactly the same as a round robin?

Number of game will be exactly the same!

Grant Szuveges
28-06-2010, 05:21 PM

If we have 24 (for example), we will divide the field one of two ways:

1. 3 tournaments with 8 players in each, play each opponent 8 times (56 games)

OR

2. 2 tournaments with 12 players in each, play each opponent 5 times (55 games)

There are lots of possible ways of dealing with uneven numbers...

Grant Szuveges
28-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Definite (14):

Brad ASHLOCK
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Goran ILIC
Chris KOLAK
Tanya KOLAK
Frank LEKKAS
James MACAULAY
Jack PUCCINI
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Michael SKOLNIK
David STIMSON
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
Tony TOSEVSKI

Maybe (10):

Michael BARON (FM)
David BEAUMONT
Jack HUGHES
Jesse JAGER
Bill JORDAN (FM)
Simon KARUMBI
Adolph LEKKAS
Marcus RAINE
Erik TEICHMANN (FM)
Elizabeth WARREN

Garvinator
28-06-2010, 07:20 PM
If we have 24 (for example), we will divide the field one of two ways:

1. 3 tournaments with 8 players in each, play each opponent 8 times (56 games)

OR

2. 2 tournaments with 12 players in each, play each opponent 5 times (55 games)

There are lots of possible ways of dealing with uneven numbers...
Option one is better. Option two means in each mini match one person receives three whites and two blacks and vice versa.

Grant Szuveges
28-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Option one is better. Option two means in each mini match one person receives three whites and two blacks and vice versa.

People get 5 of one colour and 4 of the other in regular round robins all the time...... I prefer equal colours though. That said, I also like the idea of more opponents too....

Grant Szuveges
28-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Ive been down at MCC tonight, and more people have expressed interest in the tournament. Great to see blitz fanatic Richard Voon playing too!

Definite (15):

Brad ASHLOCK
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Goran ILIC
Chris KOLAK
Tanya KOLAK
Frank LEKKAS
James MACAULAY
Jack PUCCINI
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Michael SKOLNIK
David STIMSON
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
Tony TOSEVSKI
Richard VOON

Maybe (12):

Michael BARON (FM)
David BEAUMONT
Jack HUGHES
Jesse JAGER
Bill JORDAN (FM)
Simon KARUMBI
Victor KILDISAS
Adolph LEKKAS
Marcus RAINE
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Erik TEICHMANN (FM)
Elizabeth WARREN

Grant Szuveges
29-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Definite (15):

Brad ASHLOCK
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Goran ILIC
Chris KOLAK
Tanya KOLAK
Frank LEKKAS
James MACAULAY
Jack PUCCINI
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Michael SKOLNIK
David STIMSON
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
Tony TOSEVSKI
Richard VOON

Maybe (14):

Michael BARON (FM)
David BEAUMONT
Jack HUGHES
Jesse JAGER
Bill JORDAN (FM)
Simon KARUMBI
Victor KILDISAS
Adolph LEKKAS
Marcus RAINE
Elliot RENZIES
Ishan RHODES - MORRIS
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Erik TEICHMANN (FM)
Elizabeth WARREN

ER
29-06-2010, 10:40 PM
OK Boss! Recent developments upgrade me to 90% a cert starter! I will confirm by Sunday, July 4!

Grant Szuveges
30-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Here is the latest list of players - including blitz fanatic Jack Shanks!

Definite (16):

Brad ASHLOCK
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Goran ILIC
Chris KOLAK
Tanya KOLAK
Frank LEKKAS
James MACAULAY
Jack PUCCINI
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Jack SHANKS
Michael SKOLNIK
David STIMSON
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
Tony TOSEVSKI
Richard VOON

Maybe (18):

Michael BARON (FM)
David BEAUMONT
Jack HUGHES
Jesse JAGER
Bill JORDAN (FM)
Simon KARUMBI
Victor KILDISAS
Jake KOSTRZEWA
Adolph LEKKAS
Aires MASCARENHAS
Marcus RAINE
Elliot RENZIES
Ishan RHODES - MORRIS
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Brian SHANKS
Erik TEICHMANN (FM)
Sylvester URBAN
Elizabeth WARREN

ER
30-06-2010, 06:03 PM
what about a match b/n certs and maybes? I reckon the maybes have it! :P

Grant Szuveges
04-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Here is the latest list of entries. Still not sure whether we will have 2 groups or 3.... 3 is looking likely at this stage though....

Definite (19):

Brad ASHLOCK
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Goran ILIC
Victor KILDISAS
Chris KOLAK
Tanya KOLAK
Frank LEKKAS
James MACAULAY
Jack PUCCINI
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Jack SHANKS
Michael SKOLNIK
David STIMSON
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
Tony TOSEVSKI
Richard VOON
Alec YU
Allen YU

Maybe (15):

Michael BARON (FM)
David BEAUMONT
Jack HUGHES
Jesse JAGER
Bill JORDAN (FM)
Simon KARUMBI
Jake KOSTRZEWA
Adolph LEKKAS
Aires MASCARENHAS
Elliot RENZIES
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Brian SHANKS
Erik TEICHMANN (FM)
Sylvester URBAN
Elizabeth WARREN

jhughes
04-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Here is the latest list of entries. Still not sure whether we will have 2 groups or 3.... 3 is looking likely at this stage though....

Definite (19):

Brad ASHLOCK
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Goran ILIC
Victor KILDISAS
Chris KOLAK
Tanya KOLAK
Frank LEKKAS
James MACAULAY
Jack PUCCINI
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Jack SHANKS
Michael SKOLNIK
David STIMSON
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
Tony TOSEVSKI
Richard VOON
Alec YU
Allen YU

Maybe (15):

Michael BARON (FM)
David BEAUMONT
Jack HUGHES
Jesse JAGER
Bill JORDAN (FM)
Simon KARUMBI
Jake KOSTRZEWA
Adolph LEKKAS
Aires MASCARENHAS
Elliot RENZIES
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Brian SHANKS
Erik TEICHMANN (FM)
Sylvester URBAN
Elizabeth WARREN
You can cross me off the maybes list. I won't be able to arrive until around 11:30 :(

Grant Szuveges
06-07-2010, 03:32 AM
Here is the latest list of entries. It is looking increasingly likely that we will have 3 seperate tournaments. I think that at least a few of the "maybes" are going to play, as well as all 3 "almost certains".... It is still not too late to enter....

Definite (21):

Brad ASHLOCK
John BECKMAN
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Goran ILIC
Victor KILDISAS
Chris KOLAK
Tanya KOLAK
Frank LEKKAS
James MACAULAY
Jack PUCCINI
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Jack SHANKS
Michael SKOLNIK
David STIMSON
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
Tony TOSEVSKI
Sylvester URBAN
Richard VOON
Alec YU
Allen YU

Almost certain 90% or more (3):

Jake KOSTRZEWA
Aires MASCARENHAS
Elliot RENZIES

Maybe (9):

Michael BARON (FM)
David BEAUMONT
Jesse JAGER
Bill JORDAN (FM)
Simon KARUMBI
Adolph LEKKAS
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Brian SHANKS
Erik TEICHMANN (FM)

ER
06-07-2010, 04:22 AM
Yes, 100% now, thanks for the patience!

DSS
06-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Ari and Finley Dale are also maybes.

Grant Szuveges
06-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Definite (22):

Brad ASHLOCK
John BECKMAN
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Goran ILIC
Victor KILDISAS
Chris KOLAK
Tanya KOLAK
Frank LEKKAS
James MACAULAY
Jack PUCCINI
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Jack SHANKS
Michael SKOLNIK
David STIMSON
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
Tony TOSEVSKI
Sylvester URBAN
Richard VOON
Alec YU
Allen YU

Almost certain 90% or more (2):

Jake KOSTRZEWA
Aires MASCARENHAS

Maybe (10):

Michael BARON (FM)
David BEAUMONT
Jesse JAGER
Bill JORDAN (FM)
Simon KARUMBI
Bob KRSTIC
Adolph LEKKAS
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Brian SHANKS
Erik TEICHMANN (FM)

Erik
08-07-2010, 03:01 PM
I won't be able to make it on Sunday :(
Erik

Grant Szuveges
09-07-2010, 02:10 AM
Big news, with Victorias in form player Erik Teichmann out of the blitz marathon. David Stimson has also had to pull out due to a last minute funeral or memorial service in the afternoon. The good thing though, is that we will have Davids services as arbiter for the morning rounds. I saw Tino Fulgenzi at Preston Market today and told him about the event - so hopefully he will play too... Still not sure whether we will have 2 groups or 3. It will depend on the maybes. In any case, I will be putting together a number of possible group scenarios in the next 2 days so that by Sunday morning everything will be easy to sort out.

Definite (21):

Brad ASHLOCK
John BECKMAN
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Goran ILIC
Victor KILDISAS
Chris KOLAK
Tanya KOLAK
Frank LEKKAS
James MACAULAY
Jack PUCCINI
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Jack SHANKS
Michael SKOLNIK
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
Tony TOSEVSKI
Sylvester URBAN
Richard VOON
Alec YU
Allen YU

Jake KOSTRZEWA
Aires MASCARENHAS

Maybe (12):

Michael BARON (FM)
David BEAUMONT
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Tino FULGENZI
Jesse JAGER
Bill JORDAN (FM)
Simon KARUMBI
Bob KRSTIC
Adolph LEKKAS
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Brian SHANKS

Grant Szuveges
09-07-2010, 09:09 PM
Definite (23):

Brad ASHLOCK
John BECKMAN
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Goran ILIC
Jesse JAGER
Bill JORDAN (FM)
Victor KILDISAS
Chris KOLAK
Tanya KOLAK
Frank LEKKAS
James MACAULAY
Jack PUCCINI
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Jack SHANKS
Michael SKOLNIK
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
Tony TOSEVSKI
Sylvester URBAN
Richard VOON
Alec YU
Allen YU

Jake KOSTRZEWA
Aires MASCARENHAS

Maybe (10):

Michael BARON (FM)
David BEAUMONT
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Tino FULGENZI
Simon KARUMBI
Bob KRSTIC
Adolph LEKKAS
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Brian SHANKS

MichaelBaron
10-07-2010, 12:08 AM
Ok, the tournament is getting stronger and more exiting - count me in! See you 10 am, everyone!

Grant Szuveges
10-07-2010, 01:30 AM
Blitz champion FM Michael Baron is the latest player to confirm his entry today - a day full of big names entering this event! But none are bigger than Baron who tends to dominate fast one day events and will start as clear favourite! If you want to play in this event, or even spectate Baron in action, come down to MCC this Sunday!

Definite (24):

Brad ASHLOCK
Michael BARON (FM)
John BECKMAN
Paul CAVEZZA
Ben FRAYLE
Goran ILIC
Jesse JAGER
Bill JORDAN (FM)
Victor KILDISAS
Chris KOLAK
Tanya KOLAK
Frank LEKKAS
James MACAULAY
Jack PUCCINI
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Elliot RENZIES
Jack SHANKS
Michael SKOLNIK
Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
Tony TOSEVSKI
Sylvester URBAN
Richard VOON
Alec YU
Allen YU

Jake KOSTRZEWA
Aires MASCARENHAS

Maybe (9):

David BEAUMONT
Ari DALE
Finley DALE
Tino FULGENZI
Simon KARUMBI
Bob KRSTIC
Adolph LEKKAS
Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Brian SHANKS

Paul Cavezza
10-07-2010, 09:10 AM
I'd like to spectate Baron going down to the famed Cavezza Scotch! ;) Seeya tomorrow everyone! (and today at the allegro!)

Thunderspirit
11-07-2010, 10:16 PM
I want to congratulate MCC and Grant for holding this event.

I was considering flying from Canberra just to play, but the timing is bad so I am unable to attend. More events like this should take place and I hope the event is repeated in the future.

On a completely different matter, I also want to congratulate Grant on his stand that only people who don't reveal their name on this site have something to hide. :clap:

Watto
11-07-2010, 10:32 PM
only people who don't reveal their name on this site have something to hide. :clap:
leaving the rest of us as innocent as the day we were born, lol

Sorry, any news about this tournament yet?

ER
11-07-2010, 11:22 PM
MCC Blitz Marathon, You people who weren't there missed the event of the year! (One of the survivors)!

One had to be there to believe it!
I don't know if I should publish the results, Grant usually does that and I am not interfering, BUT:
You people who have the chance to participate in Melbourne Chess Club's events consider yourselves very lucky.
Not only you are playing in the best venue, amongst the best players and people of our chess community.
Not only you are enjoying a great comradery and atmosphere, but
You are also making history!
Grant, in my latest interview soon to be published in the AN INTERVIEW thread, I wrote

You must have noticed that Club Chess goes through a revival in Victoria!
Melbourne Chess Club under the leadership of Grant Szuveges (a genius in
combining traditional values with modern administration ideas) has managed in much less than two years to revolutionise participation of the game in terms of membership, and variety of competition.
mate, that's no flattery and you know it! You and your committee deserve lots of praise! :clap:
Keep up the good work!

Grant Szuveges
11-07-2010, 11:33 PM
FM Michael Baron completely dominated the innagural (is that spelt correctly?) MCC Blitz Marathon scoring 57.5 out of a possible 63 points! To indicate how dominant Baron was, he scored 7 "Fischer scores" of 6-0 from his 9 matches, thus accumulating 7 bonus points! The only players to take half a point off him were Jesse Jager who scored 3-3 against him and Bill Jordan who scored 1.5 points. Everyone else got hit by a truck!

Jesse Jager came second with 45 points and was generally consistant. 3-3 against Baron turned out to be a very good result.

FM Bill Jordan would be disappointed with his third place (41 points). He made a few too many blunders, particularly against the players in the middle and lower part of the field. He would take solace in his 5-1 demolition of Jager though.

I managed to come 4th with 40 points. I felt really rusty at the start and had an awful 2.5-3.5 loss to Urban in the first round, but recovered well to score 28.5/30 against the players in the bottom half. I was happy with my 2.5-3.5 loss to Jordan and I was able to beat Jager 3.5-2.5 in the final round. Overall I was happy with how I played and it was nice to play some chess rather than running it for a change! I particularly enjoyed my Sicilian battles with Bill and Jesse!

Sylvester Urban managed 35.5 points and finished probably as expected. He beat me and scored 3-3 against Jordan.

Of the rest, Aires Mascarenhas played the best - particularly considering it is the first chess he has played in donkeys ages! He even scored 2 wins against Jordan! Richard Voon finished at the bottom of the field but was more than competitive, still scoring 11 points. All of the players in the bottom half fought well in what proved to be a tough tournament.

57.5 Michael BARON (FM)
45 Jesse JAGER
41 Bill JORDAN (FM)
40 Grant SZUVEGES (FM)
35.5 Sylvester URBAN
16 Aires MASCARENHAS
15 Jack SHANKS
14.5 Goran ILIC
13.5 Tony TOSEVSKI
11 Richard VOON

Junior Alec Yu won the B group fairly convincingly with 46 points. His brother Allen came second with 42.5 points. Both have booked their spot in the higher section for the next blitz marathon!

46 Alec YU
42.5 Allen YU
35.5 James MACAULAY
33 Paul CAVEZZA
31.5 Elliot RENZIES
24.5 Finley DALE
22.5 Ben FRAYLE
21.5 Tanya KOLAK
19 John BECKMAN
2 Tristan RAYSON - HILL

The tournament was played in the right spirit and the players were wonderfully well behaved all day! Many thanks to David Stimson and Elizabeth Warren for their joint job as arbiters!

The top 4 players in each group won prizemoney and there was also a special prize in each group for the longest winning streak! Michael Baron won the top one with 37 wins in a row and Alec Yu the bottom one with 11 wins in a row.

Paul Cavezza
11-07-2010, 11:52 PM
Great fun, it was fun watching the results come in and the progress over the day.

In the top group the first round told the story of the day a little- Szuveges started badly losing the series to Urban but showed some real strength in the later rounds to take 3 or 4 six-nils, Baron and Jager drew 3-3, the only game I saw Jesse left his clock running in a strong end game position but all credit to Baron who was in some stellar form. Bill won most of his matchups but didn't seem to get the 6-0's and bonus points that Jesse, Michael & Grant did.

In the end Michael annihilated the field with something like 55 points out of a possible 56 (bonus points for 6-0's included). Jager came in second with 45, Jordan was next on 41 or so and Grant finished 4th on 40. It was a very strong field but difficult for Voon & Tosevski in the lower half. I think the bottom player still scored 11 points in the top group which is still pretty good!

In the second group Elliot Renzies shot out to an early lead with 16/18 points after 3 rounds, with James McAuley just behind. The Yu brothers alec & allen were the stars of the show however playing consistently strong stuff and finishing 1st and 2nd- so they'll be able to play in the top group next time if they wish! It was an evenly matched group with the winners picking up 45 or so points, McAuley, me! and Elliot rounding out the top 5. Tanya Kolak also came down and was in good spirit, Chris better play the next one!! She finished on 21 points I believe. Took 3 off me.

Everyone had fun and considering around a thousand games of blitz were played out there were very few disputes! My advice, come down and play the next one!

Kevin Bonham
12-07-2010, 03:39 AM
Congrats to Michael Baron on his fantastic score in the event.

Congrats to the organisers for successfully running something innovative.

Congrats to those who survived the ordeal. All sounds as memorable as I expected it would be.

ER
12-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Everyone had fun and considering around a thousand games of blitz were played out there ...
That's an excellent point Paul, I propose the exact No. of games played to be calculated so we can try to break the record next time(s).
Also a ratio of wins/draws would be interesting!
Other interesting statistical details could include frequency of scores, No. of tied matches, wins for white/black etc.
Thanks to Thai Ly who tought me in three seconds flat how to set the clocks for the five minute blitz.
(Laurence Matheson tried to help me last year at the BHCC but he lost me since, apart from pressing the right buttons the right amount of times, he involved the latest theory of electronic applications!) :P :) Don't forget the kid is a mathematic genius, I recently obtained a "trigonometry for dummies" copy! :P
I was impressed by the organisers care to provide each pair of players with printed sheets so they could record the results of their games and the willingness of players to hand them to the DOPs after the end of their games.
I would also like to thank the DOPs Mr David Stimson and Ms Elizabeth Warren for their excellent job!
I hadn't been at MCC for quite some time (bar a short visit for a Vic Teams Championship game last month). I was again pleasantly surprised with some of the innovations including Committee members lists of duties and responsibilities (cleaning duties amongst them). The Club looked very clean and tidy. Kids and parents loved it. Everyone enjoyed the day!
BTW why not a Junior Blitz Marathon Tournament at MCC? I am sure the kids would love it!

Desmond
12-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Epic. :clap:

Kevin Bonham
12-07-2010, 04:31 PM
That's an excellent point Paul, I propose the exact No. of games played to be calculated so we can try to break the record next time(s).

2 divisions x (9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1) x 6 games per match = 540 games. Of course this wouldn't include practice games.

The scores sum to 289 and 278 instead of 270 in each division because of bonus points, so evidently there were 19 6-0s in the top division and 8 6-0s in the second.

ER
12-07-2010, 05:26 PM
2 divisions x (9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1) x 6 games per match = 540 games. Of course this wouldn't include practice games.

The scores sum to 289 and 278 instead of 270 in each division because of bonus points, so evidently there were 19 6-0s in the top division and 8 6-0s in the second.

Great, now we need to find out the 5-1s, 4-2s and 3-3s as well as black/white wins. If you think that's hard you should see the old style ledger type - table cloth wide, general score keeping sheets meticulously kept by the DOPs.
Even different colour ink for each result, I think it was black, red, and green? I am not sure. But one had to see the score keeping and checking methods used to believe the accurate approach!

"I won games 1, 3 and 5, my opponent lost games 2, 4 and 6"! :owned: Baronesque humour combined by typically Baronesque sardonic smile after one of his wins! :P :lol:

Reminded me of a Greek Chess magazine article some years ago: "But GM Gufeld according to the book Black has compensation for the Pawn" remarked one of the students to the popular GM who was amongst a number of Soviet players touring Greece and giving lectures from the '70s up to present time contributing to the tremendous progress of the game in that country! "My young friend, said Edward, I 've found a way to win the Pawn as well as the compensation (*) for White! After all, he concluded, I wrote the book"!

GM Gufeld visited us in Melbourne, (was it 1986?) and entertained us all with his unique type of humour in the Victorian Chess Asscociation premises, then in Elizabeth Street, City. Amongst other Chess personalities who had visited the historic building (not far from Vic Market) were the ex world champion Anatoly Karpov and GMs Ivanchuk, Agopian, Gufeld and Keene. I am sure there were others before them, but I am talking about the period from 1985 onwards.

(*) similar types of jokes can be found in abundance in Russian publications. All you need is a friend with a satisfactory knowledge of Tolstoy's language! I live in Elwood and St Kilda (that's my summer Palace :P) so I have no problems! :)

Metro
13-07-2010, 01:12 AM
FM Michael Baron completely dominated the innagural (is that spelt correctly?) MCC Blitz Marathon scoring 57.5 out of a possible 63 points!

Congratulations to Michael:clap: I think it's correct to say he loves the shorter time control(3/0 even) and probably gets bored with the longer game.
BTW any thoughts on a marathon as an Olympiad fundraiser,Grant?