PDA

View Full Version : MCC Fixed Opening Challenge

Grant Szuveges
18-06-2010, 04:08 AM
MELBOURNE CHESS CLUB

FIXED OPENING
CHALLENGE

When: Tuesday 6th July to Tuesday 17th August (7 consecutive Tuesday evenings)

Where: Melbourne Chess Club, 66 Leicester St. Fitzroy, 3065

Format: 7 round Swiss: 2 games per evening with each opening (one with each colour) against the same opponent. (Yes, you can score 2 points in one round!)

Timetable: (and starting positions)
Round 1: Tues 6th July, RUY LOPEZ (1.e4,e5 2.Nf3,Nc6 3.Bb5)
Round 2: Tues 13th July, FRENCH (1.e4,e6)
Round 3: Tues 20th July, SICILIAN (1.e4,c5)
Round 4: Tues 27th July, QUEENS GAMBIT (1.d4,d5 2.c4)
Round 5: Tues 3rd August, NIMZO INDIAN (1.d4,Nf6 2.c4,e6 3.Nc3,Bb4)
Round 6: Tues 10th August, KINGS INDIAN (1.d4,Nf6 2.c4,g6)
Round 7: Tues 17th August, ENGLISH (1.c4,e5 OR 1.c4,c5)

Games to begin at 7.30pm (8pm if BOTH players agree)

Time Controls: 30 min + 10 seconds per move

Prizes: 80% of entry fees given out in prizes.
1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th prizes will be given cash
AND
1st will receive a 2 hour coaching voucher from FM Grant Szuveges
2nd will receive a 1 hour coaching voucher from FM Grant Szuveges

Parking: For advice on parking, please contact Grant Szuveges 0401-925-075 or via email: grantszuveges@gmail.com

Postponements: Players are allowed 1 postponement (if agreed by their opponent and to be played at a time convenient for the opponent) The game must be played BEFORE the next round begins

Half point byes: Players are allowed 1 half point bye (1 point from the 2 games with either colour). Not valid in rounds 6 and 7.

Entry Fees: $20 ($15 concession) MCC members
$30 ($25 concession) non members

Enquires: For any questions, please contact Grant Szuveges on 0401-925-075 or via email: grantszuveges@gmail.com

Grant Szuveges
24-06-2010, 09:18 PM
We have 3 entries in so far and are expecting more very soon. So far:

Brad ASHLOCK
Jonothan ROBERTS
Jean WATSON

Lekko
25-06-2010, 08:18 AM
I may enter this. I'm not sure yet though Grant.

Grant Szuveges
25-06-2010, 10:53 AM
I may enter this. I'm not sure yet though Grant.

Hopefully you play! What about your brother? He may like this tournament....

Lekko
25-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Hopefully you play! What about your brother? He may like this tournament....
Doubt it, he doesn't like opening theory :P

He got the fliers in the mail so he'll tell me which tournaments he wants to play in.

jhughes
25-06-2010, 06:02 PM
MELBOURNE CHESS CLUB

FIXED OPENING
CHALLENGE

When: Tuesday 6th July to Tuesday 17th August (7 consecutive Tuesday evenings)

Where: Melbourne Chess Club, 66 Leicester St. Fitzroy, 3065

Format: 7 round Swiss: 2 games per evening with each opening (one with each colour) against the same opponent. (Yes, you can score 2 points in one round!)

Timetable: (and starting positions)
Round 1: Tues 6th July, RUY LOPEZ (1.e4,e5 2.Nf3,Nc6 3.Bb5)
Round 2: Tues 13th July, FRENCH (1.e4,e6)
Round 3: Tues 20th July, SICILIAN (1.e4,c5)
Round 4: Tues 27th July, QUEENS GAMBIT (1.d4,d5 2.c4)
Round 5: Tues 3rd August, NIMZO INDIAN (1.d4,Nf6 2.c4,e6 3.Nc3,Bb4)
Round 6: Tues 10th August, KINGS INDIAN (1.d4,Nf6 2.c4,g6)
Round 7: Tues 17th August, ENGLISH (1.c4,e5 OR 1.c4,c5)

Games to begin at 7.30pm (8pm if BOTH players agree)

Time Controls: 30 min + 10 seconds per move

Prizes: 80% of entry fees given out in prizes.
1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th prizes will be given cash
AND
1st will receive a 2 hour coaching voucher from FM Grant Szuveges
2nd will receive a 1 hour coaching voucher from FM Grant Szuveges

Parking: For advice on parking, please contact Grant Szuveges 0401-925-075 or via email: grantszuveges@gmail.com

Postponements: Players are allowed 1 postponement (if agreed by their opponent and to be played at a time convenient for the opponent) The game must be played BEFORE the next round begins

Half point byes: Players are allowed 1 half point bye (1 point from the 2 games with either colour). Not valid in rounds 6 and 7.

Entry Fees: $20 ($15 concession) MCC members
$30 ($25 concession) non members

Enquires: For any questions, please contact Grant Szuveges on 0401-925-075 or via email: grantszuveges@gmail.com
I like the idea of an opening tournament, though to be honest the openings are so standard that we'd probably be seeing all of them anyway. It'd be nice if some openings like the Muzio Gambit or the Frankenstein-Dracula variation of the Vienna were added :P.

Lekko
25-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Or the Bird ...

THE BIRD IS THE WORD!

Grant Szuveges
25-06-2010, 07:53 PM
I like the idea of an opening tournament, though to be honest the openings are so standard that we'd probably be seeing all of them anyway. It'd be nice if some openings like the Muzio Gambit or the Frankenstein-Dracula variation of the Vienna were added :P.

Part of the philosophy behind this tournament (as is the case with all of our Tuesday night tournaments) is about learning.

Therefore, Ive picked the most mainstream of the mainstream openings so that people get to practice playing openings that they will come up against often in tournament play.

The set positions are only a few moves in, so it does give people quite a lot of room for creativity - eg. the "Kings Indian" round starts at the position after 1. d4, Nf6 2. c4, g6 - which means that black actually has the option of playing both a benoni or a grunfeld, whilst white has the option of all sorts of Bf4/Bg5 type systems.

Similarly, nobody has to play 2. Nf3 after 1. e4, c5... There are lots of possibilities including 2. b4, 2. d4, 2. Nc3, 2. b3, 2. d3, 2. f4, 2. a3, 2. Bc4 etc.....

If you look at the openings available, there are sharp continuations available for both colours in all of them (if you want to use those sharp continuations that is)...

Jack, will you be playing?

Lekko
25-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Part of the philosophy behind this tournament (as is the case with all of our Tuesday night tournaments) is about learning.

Therefore, Ive picked the most mainstream of the mainstream openings so that people get to practice playing openings that they will come up against often in tournament play.

The set positions are only a few moves in, so it does give people quite a lot of room for creativity - eg. the "Kings Indian" round starts at the position after 1. d4, Nf6 2. c4, g6 - which means that black actually has the option of playing both a benoni or a grunfeld, whilst white has the option of all sorts of Bf4/Bg5 type systems.

Similarly, nobody has to play 2. Nf3 after 1. e4, c5... There are lots of possibilities including 2. b4, 2. d4, 2. Nc3, 2. b3, 2. d3, 2. f4, 2. a3, 2. Bc4 etc.....

If you look at the openings available, there are sharp continuations available for both colours in all of them (if you want to use those sharp continuations that is)...

Jack, will you be playing?
And in the french defence game, black can always transpose with 2... c5.

Kevin Bonham
25-06-2010, 11:22 PM
And in the french defence game, black can always transpose with 2... c5.

Yes, and White is not compelled to go into a Sicilian if that happens. For instance after 2.d4 c5 white can play 3.d5 which will typically transpose into some kind of Benoni sideline. Also after 1...e6, White can avoid Sicilian transpositions and French mainlines and play a Nc3/Nf3 setup (which in some lines transposes back into a mainline French, but not if White doesn't want it to) and then there are more distinctive anti-French sidelines like 2.d3, 2.f4, 2.b3 and 2.Qe2.

Lekko
25-06-2010, 11:50 PM
Yes, and White is not compelled to go into a Sicilian if that happens. For instance after 2.d4 c5 white can play 3.d5 which will typically transpose into some kind of Benoni sideline. Also after 1...e6, White can avoid Sicilian transpositions and French mainlines and play a Nc3/Nf3 setup (which in some lines transposes back into a mainline French, but not if White doesn't want it to) and then there are more distinctive anti-French sidelines like 2.d3, 2.f4, 2.b3 and 2.Qe2.
I didn't say what it transposed to, just that it transposed to something else :P

Kevin Bonham
25-06-2010, 11:55 PM
I didn't say what it transposed to, just that it transposed to something else :P

I noticed that and edited my comment before posting it to avoid any suggestion that you did.

MichaelBaron
26-06-2010, 11:48 AM
I am yet to finalize my teaching schedule for the next semester. But I am free on Tuesday nights I may play.

Grant Szuveges
29-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Only 4 entries so far.... Come on people, come and support this new tournament.... These are the entries so far...

Brad ASHLOCK
Jonothan ROBERTS
David TOPOL
Jean WATSON

Maybe: Michael BARON (FM)

ER
29-06-2010, 11:09 PM
I am not sure about that one, I am trying to make sure I will have Mondays off for the rest of the second part of the year for MCC events as I had promised at the beginning of 2010.
Besides, despite the fact that I will not play in BHCC's events anymore I feel uncomfortable to play during their Club nights. (for the rest of the year that is)!

MichaelBaron
30-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Besides, despite the fact that I will not play in BHCC's events anymore I feel uncomfortable to play during their Club nights. (for the rest of the year that is)!

Sounds like ''I am no longer with my ex-gf but I still do not want to see other girls on her birthdays"':owned:

ER
30-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Sounds like ''I am no longer with my ex-gf but I still do not want to see other girls on her birthdays"':owned:

you be quiet, youngster! :rolleyes:
and it ain't like that at all! it was more like an amicable separation forced by the tyranny of distance! BHCC is a great club and I will miss them all a lot!

Watto
30-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Doubt it, he doesn't like opening theory :P

I'm not mad keen on opening theory myself but I'm sick of my openings so I have no choice but to strike out and learn something different. This tournament is perfect for that.

Speaking of the learning side of things which Tuesdays are about: I'm sure on the nights when he can, Grant may give the odd lecture or go through a game or two.
Also Guy's definitely going to give a short lecture (either for half an hour before the games start, or after the games) on one or two of the openings he knows a bit about.

Grant Szuveges
04-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Here is the latest field:

Brad ASHLOCK
Damien FEAINE
Tristan RAYSON - HILL
Jonothan ROBERTS
David TOPOL
Jean WATSON

Of course we are still accepting entries on the day.

Lekko
06-07-2010, 11:25 PM
The 2 board 1 games from the first round (Ruy Lopez) are available for view at
http://www.melbournechessclub.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=114 until Saturday.

Grant Szuveges
08-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Round 2 pairings can be found at www.melbournechessclub.org

Looking forward to the games with the French Defence this week...