PDA

View Full Version : On The Move

ChessGuru
10-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Most chess players and administrators in this country are of first rate intelligence; yet we appear to struggle with the opposing ideas of tradition and progress. Today we must adapt and change at an increasingly rapid pace in order to keep up with the world around us; yet work even harder to maintain a community and connection with the past.

Welcome to the re-launch of On The Move. Many club players will have fond memories of a Victorian Chess Association newsletter of the same name from the '80s and '90s and we're thrilled to have a past editor, IM Robert Jamieson, on board as editor in its new incarnation. On The Move will be available free of charge to all clubs in Australia in both hard-copy printed form and also by email or download; providing news, tips and articles of interest to club players (1200-1600 rating). We invite submissions from anyone who wishes to contribute.

OTM is published by ChessClub.com.au (a website owned by Chess World), a modern site sharing club news and promoting chess clubs to potential members and the general public. For $100 per year ChessClub.com.au designs and hosts websites (including calendar and email support) for clubs who don't have the resources to create their own. We also provide strategic, tactical and practical assistance to chess clubs who are just starting out or hoping to grow. Clubs who subscribe to the ChessClub.com.au service also have access to wholesale pricing (around 35% less than retail) on all chess equipment.

Hopefully we'll be able to find the right mix of the philosophies of tradition and progress as we help to redesign the future of chess in Australia.

OTM is available in PDF to download from http://www.chessclub.com.au/ (www.chessclub.com.au/)

ER
11-06-2010, 12:18 AM
Most chess players and administrators in this country are of first rate intelligence; yet we appear to struggle with the opposing ideas of tradition and progress. Today we must adapt and change at an increasingly rapid pace in order to keep up with the world around us; yet work even harder to maintain a community and connection with the past.

Welcome to the re-launch of On The Move. Many club players will have fond memories of a Victorian Chess Association newsletter of the same name from the '80s and '90s and we're thrilled to have a past editor, IM Robert Jamieson, on board as editor in its new incarnation. On The Move will be available free of charge to all clubs in Australia in both hard-copy printed form and also by email or download; providing news, tips and articles of interest to club players (1200-1600 rating). We invite submissions from anyone who wishes to contribute.

OTM is published by ChessClub.com.au (a website owned by Chess World), a modern site sharing club news and promoting chess clubs to potential members and the general public. For $100 per year ChessClub.com.au designs and hosts websites (including calendar and email support) for clubs who don't have the resources to create their own. We also provide strategic, tactical and practical assistance to chess clubs who are just starting out or hoping to grow. Clubs who subscribe to the ChessClub.com.au service also have access to wholesale pricing (around 35% less than retail) on all chess equipment.

Hopefully we'll be able to find the right mix of the philosophies of tradition and progress as we help to redesign the future of chess in Australia.

OTM is available in PDF to download from http://www.chessclub.com.au/ (www.chessclub.com.au/)

Both the website and the publication, look great and congratulations to both David Cordover for the brilliant initiative and IM Robert Jamieson for his involvement in directing and editing ON THE MOVE! :clap:

In the first issue the following recommendations by the Editor

World Championship Report
Sydney International 2010
The Blackburne tour
A Short Story
Material v Development
Local News
Jammo’s Chess Puzzle

and other material, are presented in an aesthetically pleasing form in a colourful and well illustrated publication. Thanks! :clap:

Desmond
11-06-2010, 04:51 PM
^ agree with JaK

ChessGuru
06-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Check out Guy West's report on his amazing NZ performance in the latest OTM.

Download from ChessClub.com.au here (http://chessclub.com.au/files/2010/08/201007-OTM.pdf)

jammo
27-05-2011, 07:05 PM
[next five posts moved from Australian Chess History section - mod]

Is that the same Hartland who has banned OTM?

antichrist
27-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Is that the same Hartland who has banned OTM?

who or what was OTM?

Kevin Bonham
27-05-2011, 08:22 PM
who or what was OTM?

On The Move. It's the former title of a Victorian chess newsletter; recently a newsletter with the same title and badged as a revival was started by David Cordover. I am unsure who was the original publisher.

antichrist
27-05-2011, 08:25 PM
thanks, why was it banned?

Kevin Bonham
27-05-2011, 09:14 PM
thanks, why was it banned?

I don't know anything about its claimed banning.

Kevin Bonham
30-05-2011, 03:07 AM
I don't know if this is connected to the claimed "banning" or not but I notice the May 2011 issue contains a rant by jammo against the ACF over the Tornelo conflict on page 6, followed by a "letters" page on page 9 that in reality consists mostly of more of the same. Gary Wastell and Bill Gletsos come in for some abuse.

On p.6 there also appears an adlike graphic promoting the Toolbox. It would be interesting to know whether that item is a paid ad or a freebie. Whatever it is, it is grossly misleading. Happy to go into the details of why.

jammo
30-05-2011, 10:54 PM
Hi Kevin,

Glad to see that you are reading OTM. It is interesting that one man's "rant" is another's carefully considered opinion piece. CV apparently declined to send out this issue of OTM because they disagreed with my comments. One can only conclude that any opinion pieces must first be run past the CV censor before they can be published. Another blow to free speech. The really funny part is that they are concerned also that the ACF would not (in their view) be allowed to publish their side of the issue in OTM. Can this be the same ACF I wonder that totally bans any discussion of Tornelo?

As to the merits or otherwise of the ACF, I've been observing the organisation for sometime and I stand by the views that I stated in OTM. If in doubt, I think that you can judge an organisation by its results/output. Just look at their website for instance. It's hopeless. How hard is it to construct and good website these days? One of the major problems is the structure of the organisation and I can't see that changing whilst NSW/Gletsos can veto any constitutional change. Would be interested to hear your views.

Regards,
Jammo

antichrist
30-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Hi Kevin,

Glad to see that you are reading OTM. It is interesting that one man's "rant" is another's carefully considered opinion piece. CV apparently declined to send out this issue of OTM because they disagreed with my comments. One can only conclude that any opinion pieces must first be run past the CV censor before they can be published. Another blow to free speech. ..........................Jammo

were your opinions libellous in any manner? I once pulled the same trick because of possible libel, that was about 15 years ago and the writer still has not forgotten about it.

About the vetoing by NSW, reminds me of the nuke club having vetoing powers in the UN, so nothing can be done about nuke weapons, they are self serving.

regards anyway and hope you get satisfaction.

Kevin Bonham
31-05-2011, 12:45 AM
Glad to see that you are reading OTM. It is interesting that one man's "rant" is another's carefully considered opinion piece.

The two are not mutually exclusive. A carefully considered opinion piece may become a rant if the carefully considered opinions are carelessly expressed. A title like "The ACF Is Mad..." is hardly a promising start.

Here is an example of the sort of language that caused me to describe the piece as ranty:

Unfortunately the ACF has now in effect banned Tornelo and even banned
discussion of the matter in their newsletter. Yes, the threat of change and a much better ratings product has clearly scared the old men running the ACF. You’d think we were living in Libya! Perhaps we can get NATO to bomb the ACF headquarters and we can start again although it may well be too late.

The above is not only intemperate; it is also unfactual and indeed close to the opposite of fact in its claim as to why Tornelo was "banned". Tornelo's "banning" as a pairings product rested not on fear of superior quality but on overwhelming evidence that at that stage it was not even a match for the outdated Swiss (im)Perfect and that allowing major tournaments to be run using its pairings would create many unfair situations for players. The ACF has a duty to encourage good pairing practice in Swiss tournaments.

I understand the pairings engine has now improved substantially so the ball is in David's court should he wish to apply for a review of that decision on that basis. The only other ban applied to its use in events has concerned the use of mobile technology during the game because of the potential for cheating.

The newsletter discussion ban had nothing to do with the quality of the Tornelo product but was connected to misleading material on the Tornelo page that would be read as implying formal connections between Tornelo and the ACF that did not at that time exist. I am pleased to see the misleading material has now been removed, and provided the ACF Council shares my view on that then that ban no longer exists.

To disagree with these ACF decisions is one thing, but to describe them as "mad" in the circumstances seems to me to be rant territory.

CV apparently declined to send out this issue of OTM because they disagreed with my comments. One can only conclude that any opinion pieces must first be run past the CV censor before they can be published.

Actually one cannot correctly conclude any such thing. CV refusing to circulate On The Move does not prevent you from publishing it, and in proof of that fact it has indeed been published - I would not have been able to read it had it not! It is natural for a state association that is asked to circulate a magazine to examine what it is being asked to circulate and decide whether it wishes to do so.

Another blow to free speech.

Not at all. Your rights of free speech to publish On The Move have been upheld by its publication without anybody getting arrested or sued. Free speech does not entail that somebody else is required to assist you in distributing and publishing your opinion. Misconceptions about the true meaning of "free speech" are so common I have a thread about it here (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=4050)

As to the merits or otherwise of the ACF, I've been observing the organisation for sometime and I stand by the views that I stated in OTM. If in doubt, I think that you can judge an organisation by its results/output. Just look at their website for instance. It's hopeless. How hard is it to construct and good website these days?

The issue of the website has its own thread (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=12836). Incidentally in my view a website is more a means of communication of results/output than a result in itself.

One of the major problems is the structure of the organisation and I can't see that changing whilst NSW/Gletsos can veto any constitutional change. Would be interested to hear your views.

You may recall I actually eventually supported the second version of your Commission model, which failed to be adopted because NSW blocked it.

However one of the major points advanced for the Commission was that the ACF was struggling because too many Councillors were tied to state interests and the ACF risked losing corporate memory because experienced Councillors might cease to be state delegates at any time.

The ACF at the suggestion of the NSWCA instead adopted a different proposal to increase the size of the Executive by adding two Vice-Presidents, thus increasing the number of ACF councillors who are not tied to state responsibilities and improving continuity of composition.

And what do we get now? Complaints that the same people have been there for too long!

File under "watch what you wish for?"

jammo
31-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Dear Kevin,

Thanks for your reply.

Let's go to the core of the issue. I think the ACF is mad because it attempted to ban discussion of a subject in its publications. We are not talking youth suicide or the holocaust here, we are talking about tournament management software. I think that we live in a democracy where people should be free to discuss/debate issues.

Do you think it is acceptable for the ACF to ban a topic from discussion?

On the question of banning Tornelo you say "The ACF has a duty to encourage good pairing practices in Swiss tournaments.". I don't mind "encourage" but I do object to "enforce". Do you ban an inexperienced arbiter from doing manual pairings because he may make some mistakes? If any pairing software is no good then people won't use it to run their tournaments. There may be 5 competing pairing programmes for instance for tournament organizers to choose between. Is it the role of the ACF to say "this one is the best so the use of the others is banned?"

Just out of interest, why is it that the ACF hasn't updated/improved it's web site? It certainly wins the prize for the most boring chess site in Australia. Compare it with the Chess Kids site for example. I've spent the last week doing a web site for the Davis Cup Foundation and have produced a reasonable result with no particular skills, so it's not that hard. Your response may give readers some clues as to what is wrong with the ACF.

Regards,
Jammo

Kevin Bonham
01-06-2011, 12:09 AM
Let's go to the core of the issue. I think the ACF is mad because it attempted to ban discussion of a subject in its publications. We are not talking youth suicide or the holocaust here, we are talking about tournament management software. I think that we live in a democracy where people should be free to discuss/debate issues.

Actually we are supposed to live in a liberal democracy and the freedom to discuss/debate issues comes from the liberal side not the democratic side.

As that goes, you have great freedom to discuss/debate issues, but it is a fallacy to assume that that freedom means that any time you submit something to someone for publication, they must publish it. It is exactly that fallacy which the thread of mine I linked to above demolishes.

Free speech is the right to express yourself using your own voice, your own media, and whatever media consent to helping you to speak out. It does not mean that someone else, or even an organisation you belong to, is compelled to publish your views or discuss your product.

Do you think it is acceptable for the ACF to ban a topic from discussion?

From its own newsletter? Absolutely! And indeed, Tornelo is not the first thing this has been applied to.

Furthermore, the discussion ban had nothing to do with Tornelo being tournament management software and everything to do with its website being used to create false impressions of a relationship between Tornelo on the one hand and the ACF and its official rating system on the other. You may think the ACF is mad to attempt to refuse to publicise material that misrepresents it. Others may think it would be mad to allow it.

On the question of banning Tornelo you say "The ACF has a duty to encourage good pairing practices in Swiss tournaments.". I don't mind "encourage" but I do object to "enforce".

Well I'll go further and say the ACF has a duty to attempt to ensure good pairing practices in Swiss tournaments - at least for the purpose of national titles, Grand Prix etc. Where enforcement is the only practical method (some people are not otherwise "encouraged") I have no problem with that and you've given me no reason yet to have one.

Do you ban an inexperienced arbiter from doing manual pairings because he may make some mistakes?

Inexperienced arbiters do not do manual pairings anymore (at least not in major tournaments). Hardly anybody does these days.

If any pairing software is no good then people won't use it to run their tournaments.

An unsound assumption when considering multi-functional programs that work well in some ways and badly in others. Especially unsound if there is sponsorship involved.

Just out of interest, why is it that the ACF hasn't updated/improved it's web site?

That is discussed on the other thread I posted a link to (along with various other issues). Actually some aspects of the website that were out of date were recently updated after I sent through some updates. I agree it needs a lot more work and ideally a complete overhaul and modernisation of look. At present the main issue is staffing - the webmaster was carrying on in a caretaker capacity until we found a replacement, but despite some attempts no replacement has yet been found.

Kevin Bonham
07-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Posts moved

Posts dealing more or less solely with the ACF website have been moved to a new thread in this section.

Oepty
09-06-2011, 12:42 AM
More posts moved

This thread seems to be an unusually productive tangent generator. I have now moved all posts dealing exclusively with conflict of interest discussions to another new thread. Points about COI originally posted in posts currently numbered between 38 and 50 (until the next split!) have been left on this one but have also been quoted in post 6 of the new thread.

Also willing to move other stuff if requested.

The topic is just following the thread title.

Kevin Bonham
18-06-2011, 01:44 PM
More posts moved

Posts that do not refer to On The Move in any way and that have not already been split have now been moved here (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=13167).

That split thread may also be split further.

Oepty
18-06-2011, 02:23 PM
My post that is post 49 in the new thread belongs in this thread, please move it back. [done! - mod]

ER
13-08-2012, 09:58 PM
[post moved from another thread - mod]

I just received the latest ON THE MOVE copy just sent to me by David Cordover!
There is a nice editorial about James Morris's formidable 2012 performances by David and a treasure of IM Robert Jamieson's reports, analysis, historical references, quizzes etc.
Don't miss it!