PDA

View Full Version : Help a confused unrated.

vohne
25-05-2010, 08:25 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am currently unrated. I am playing at a local ACF tourney right now here are the current results that I have gained.

Round 1: bye
Round 2: Lost to 1289 ACF ranked
Round 3: Win against 1473 ACF Ranked
Round 4: Win against 1160 ACF Ranked
Round 5: Draw against 1398 ACF Ranked player

So my question is, for the upcoming NSW open, should I be playing in the Open or U-1600 division? I really want to play in the open because it will be FIDE rated, but I feel that I might get steamrolled and end up with a very bad ACF rating as a result. Any thoughts?

Rincewind
25-05-2010, 08:37 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am currently unrated. I am playing at a local ACF tourney right now here are the current results that I have gained.

Round 1: bye
Round 2: Lost to 1289 ACF ranked
Round 3: Win against 1473 ACF Ranked
Round 4: Win against 1160 ACF Ranked
Round 5: Draw against 1398 ACF Ranked player

So my question is, for the upcoming NSW open, should I be playing in the Open or U-1600 division? I really want to play in the open because it will be FIDE rated, but I feel that I might get steamrolled and end up with a very bad ACF rating as a result. Any thoughts?

In my opinion it sounds like you care about what ACF rating you end up with. If that is the case you are probably better in the u-1600 event. Looking at your results you would seem to be playing around the 1400 ACF strength and so should get a good mix of results in the u-1600 event. At this stage I would not be too concerned with getting a FIDE rating.

One problem with playing the open is you will probably play lots of people 1800+ and chances are you will lose all those games. Now you might play one or two players with lower ratings and those are the ones you might win. If you do win then you might get a better rating but if you don't, then your rating will be lower than perhaps it should.

So while you need to play 9 games for a rating, your rating might actually swing on one or two crucial games. So it is just riskier. More games against similar strength opposition will give you a more accurate rating.

However the rating is not an end unto itself. If you perform badly and get a lower rating than your general playing strength, then it will be correct in future tournaments when you score more like your playing strength. So if you really do want to play the open then do so. But I still recommend the u-1600. :)

Vlad
25-05-2010, 11:08 AM
It really depends on what you want to achieve. If you want to achieve a high ACF rating, both tournaments are probably the same in terms of expectation, while the variance of the open is higher. That is what Barry told you above.

Now if you actually want to improve, which means you want to get a high rating later rather than immediately, you may want to play in the open. That way you will challenge yourself to the maximum and have higher chances of improving. However, be prepared to score 0/7; think about it as a part of the learning process.