PDA

View Full Version : Who should get discounted entries?

Kevin Bonham
24-04-2010, 01:21 AM
Just starting a thread to see what views exist here about what categories of players - irrespective of strength - should be entitled to concession entry rates at chess tournaments.

Also for people to post details of what discounts their club and/or association currently provides on (i) membership fees (ii) event entry fees.

I have listed a large number of options in the poll so please tick all that you think should be eligible for discounts (there is an "all of the above" option near the bottom).

ER
24-04-2010, 01:34 AM
I forgot the juniors please add all under 18 if possible! [1 vote added to each - mod]
Thanks Mod! :)

Desmond
24-04-2010, 05:35 AM
Probably outside the scope of the poll, but I would add that for club weekenders, rank and file club members should. They pay for it over the course of the year with their nightly fees.

ER
24-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Probably outside the scope of the poll, but I would add that for club weekenders, rank and file club members should. They pay for it over the course of the year with their nightly fees.

At MCC and BHCC, they don't charge nightly fees. It's all inclusive in the membership fee. Particularly at MCC, open every night that's a great value for money, particularly with events such as the endgame studies etc they have going!
When I was a member at Elwood CC they had that thing going which I did not really like!

littlesprout85
24-04-2010, 11:08 PM
ERmmmmmmm,

Sprouty marked "other" because meh think that all newbies regardless of age should have a first times tourney fee discounted.

Now perhaps if they join the club they could get the first time tourney fee waved all together. This is to encourage new enrollements into the club who is sponsoring the event. rawr-rawr-

-Sprout85 =)

george
25-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Hi all,
At Norwood Chess Club (going 120 years) our annual membership fee is $15.00 and we have NO nightly playing fees (we meet every monday evening) and entry to all our competitions is free for ALL members. Players play for the honour of winning the various competitions and having their names enscribed on trophies some of which are old indeed.
Our club caters for all types of competitive player so if you cant find various tourneys of the type you like throughout the year your not trying.

So our members get a lot for $15.00 but each year we accumulate a small surplus which goes towards buying more timers - we have sufficient now but replacements sometimes needed.

So I agree that within your own club tourneys should be totally free for members:clap:

Basil
25-04-2010, 06:08 PM
So I agree that within your own club tourneys should be totally free for members:clap:
Hi George, is your statement one that applies across the board or only to clubs where there will be a surplus after the annual membership fees. Do you have tournament entry fees? Cash prizes? Do you pay rent?

For instance, 50 members (which is a lot :eek:) x $15 =$750 which isn't a great deal to run a club of 50 people.

george
25-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Hi captain,
We dont have prizemonies for our tournies and we have a "special" relationship with our local Council who value extremely highly their cultural heritage.
We are on the top floor of an expensively restored heritage listed building - lets just say our outgoings are very slight. Our Chess Club has been using these premises since we were founded in 1890.

Without the progressive understanding of the Council we would have difficulty existing and the Council understands this and "protects" us from commercial reality.

i/we understand we are in a privileged position but our Chess Club is especially welcoming of local people especially elderly folks like myself.

We play chess for the joy of it and cudos within the club - thats it really.

In the past we have had small entry fees for the Club Championship but as our outgoings are slight we pass this on to the members by having all competitions with NO Entry fees.

I really do believe that tournies within your own club should be free but if playing commercial rent etc then the Club membership fee should be increased to allay costs and that of replacing equipment.

Each year the Club should make a very small profit - our sole charter is to foster chess in our area be good chess citizens (SACA) and give our members exactly what they want.

Each decision is made at AGM or by all the members present on any monday evening (club night) that a decision is required.

Anyway Captain are you coming to Adelaide in early July - if you want to be looked after (billeted) let me know .

CameronD
25-04-2010, 10:56 PM
I dont agree with cash prizes for club events. It just takes money from your members to the pockets of a few. Lets leave that to weekend and big tournaments.