PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Australian Open Championship

Pages : [1] 2

Bill Gletsos
20-04-2010, 03:37 PM
The ACF at its Council meeting last night accepted a bid from Norths Club, Cammeray NSW to hold the 2011 Australian Open Championship.

The event will run from 2nd January to the 13 January inclusive.

The rest day and Lightning will be on 8th January.

Running alongside the Open will be a Minor of 11 rounds restricted to players rated U1600 along with the Norths Classic of 7 rounds running from the 2nd to the 9th January restricted to players rated U1800.

The time control is 90 minutes for 40 moves, followed by 30 minutes for remaining moves, with an increment of 30 seconds a move from move 1.

ER
20-04-2010, 03:47 PM
The ACF at its Council meeting last night accepted a bid from Norths Club, Cammeray NSW to hold the 2011 Australian Open Championship.

Running alongside the Open will be a Minor of 11 rounds restricted to players rated U1600 along with the Norths Classic of 7 rounds running from the 2nd to the 9th January restricted to players rated U1800.

The time control is 90 minutes for 40 moves, followed by 30 minutes for remaining moves, with an increment of 30 seconds a move from move 1.

YES!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: I WILL BE THERE!!!
Making arrangements now - Again for the Classic, since this tournament will he part of my US/Latin America tour and can't stay for the duration!

Bill Gletsos
20-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Round one will start at 1.30pm and round 11 at 11am.
All other rounds will start at 1pm.

ER
20-04-2010, 05:08 PM

Bill, I just noticed, shouldn't the rating requirements be the other way around?

Bill Gletsos
20-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Bill, I just noticed, shouldn't the rating requirements be the other way around?No the minor is always U1600.
Norths decided to change the Classic from being U1600 this year to U1800 in 2011.

ER
20-04-2010, 05:40 PM
No the minor is always U1600.
Norths decided to change the Classic from being U1600 this year to U1800 in 2011.

Thanks!

Nicholas D-C
20-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Any idea when the website will go up? Did anyone else bid besides Norths? It seems strange for NSW to get the nod four years in a row:D

Garrett
21-04-2010, 10:48 AM
hi everyone

Just to confirm, will the venue be at Norths Leagues Club.

Cheers
Garrett.

Denis_Jessop
21-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Any idea when the website will go up? Did anyone else bid besides Norths? It seems strange for NSW to get the nod four years in a row:D

There were no other bids. At one stage there was a possibilty of another but it did not continue further.

DJ

Garvinator
21-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Just to confirm, will the venue be at Norths Leagues Club.That is my understanding.

MichaelBaron
21-04-2010, 01:03 PM
How many of the national title events are taking place in NSW?

Garvinator
21-04-2010, 01:04 PM
How many of the national title events are taking place in NSW?What do you mean?

Chigoresov
21-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Seriously Michael, what do you care?:rolleyes:

Were you actually going to test yourself and play in one?

ER
21-04-2010, 03:28 PM

If you have not visited the venue and have not experienced the organisation etc I suggest to do so! Norths and Hellenic Club are two venues that we can be proud of having available for Chess Events in Australia!

Nicholas D-C
21-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Have been to Norths before for the Australia Day Weekender, but not the Australian Championships. Definitely considering playing in the Open next year though!

ER
21-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Have been to Norths before for the Australia Day Weekender, but not the Australian Championships. Definitely considering playing in the Open next year though!
ok mate see you there then! :)

peter_parr
22-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Congratulation to Norths Chess Club for their successful bid to organise the Australian Open Championship in Jan 2011.

I would like to suggest that the Australian Open Rapid Play Championship be held on Saturday 8 January 2011.

Australia to the best of my knowledge is the only country in the world that has a regular updated rapid rating list (produced by Bill Gletsos). Rapid Play takes a full day and by tradition is held on a free day during the championship. The free day on a Saturday is perfect for numerous Sydney players who have to work during the week, as well as players in the tournaments.

The one day rapid play on a free day in the Australian Championship attracted 95 players more than 20 years ago.
Rapid Play has increased in popularity since then and 150 entrants or more is realistic for Jan 2011 in Sydney. (there were 696 players in the Warsaw rapid Dec 2009)

What do players think?

The Australian Lightning/ACF National Conference/Meetings etc can be held any night 7-11 pm

ER
22-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Congratulation to Norths Chess Club for their successful bid to organise the Australian Open Championship in Jan 2011.

I strongly believe you are expressing the feelings of the majority of chess playes in regards to their response to the great news!

I would like to suggest that the Australian Open Rapid Play Championship be held on Saturday 8 January 2011.

I am all for it, be it would I only play in the Norths Classic or stay the whole duration and play in the Minor, (I haven't made my final decision yet) Saturday the 8th of January 2011 fits in perfectly!

Australia to the best of my knowledge is the only country in the world that has a regular updated rapid rating list (produced by Bill Gletsos).

Well he 's not just a pretty face! :P

Rapid Play takes a full day and by tradition is held on a free day during the championship. The free day on a Saturday is perfect for numerous Sydney players who have to work during the week, as well as players in the tournaments.

Count me in!

What do players think?

As above!

The Australian Lightning/ACF National Conference/Meetings etc can be held any night 7-11 pm

Since there will be chess players of all States, I think AFC should allow for an (unofficial) hour's question time so some ideas could be presented and some discussion generated!

Funny story, earlier this year during the Aus Champs at Norths I had just bought an Endgames book from you Peter and in the evening after I had my dinner I burst into the analysis room to have a look at some positions then I saw all of you guys (was it NSWCA or ACF meeting I don't know) looking at me :eek: as if I had landed from another planet or something! :P

Kevin Bonham
22-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Since there will be chess players of all States, I think AFC should allow for an (unofficial) hour's question time so some ideas could be presented and some discussion generated!

There used to be provision for an annual "players' meeting" to serve pretty much that function. It has long since been abandoned because of a serious lack of interest.

I think if you held the lightning any night other than before the rest day you would get even fewer takers out of the serious contenders than holding it on the rest day.

As for the Conference and the Council meeting unfortunately they can take more than four hours between them so they could not be realistically held on the same night. Holding them on different nights would be possible but would make it less likely that interstate administrators would travel to attend, and furthermore, if you do not hold the Conference on the rest day then it may be difficult for states to find players willing to be their delegates.

Probably all solvable but I suspect the potential interest in a rapid event is not all that high. Generally rapids held in conjunction with large events attract fewer players than the main event because some will choose to take a rest day.

ER
22-04-2010, 06:38 PM
There used to be provision for an annual "players' meeting" to serve pretty much that function. It has long since been abandoned because of a serious lack of interest.
That's very interesting, were those meetings held during major competitions?
Did the decline occur after the creation of this Forum? I presume lots of communication, presentation of new ideas etc was facilitated by the advent of ChessChat Forum!

Kevin Bonham
22-04-2010, 08:03 PM
That's very interesting, were those meetings held during major competitions?

Yes. They were scheduled during rest days (I think) of the Aus Champs and Aus Open.

Did the decline occurred after the creation of this Forum? I presume lots of communication, presentation of new ideas etc was facilitated by the advent of ChessChat Forum!

And the forums before it too. No, players' meetings had failed to attract quorum (15 players) for several years and were abolished in January 2005.

Garvinator
22-04-2010, 08:48 PM
And the forums before it too. No, players' meetings had failed to attract quorum (15 players) for several years and were abolished in January 2005.Well the players meeting was generally held on the morning of New Years Day. That probably had something to do with it. Even if held on another day would most likely not make much difference.

MichaelBaron
22-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Seriously Michael, what do you care?:rolleyes:

Were you actually going to test yourself and play in one?
If its in Melbourne and I do not have to work - why not?

Garvinator
22-04-2010, 09:28 PM
If its in Melbourne and I do not have to work - why not?So basically you will only play in it if it is handy and convenient for you.

MichaelBaron
23-04-2010, 12:44 AM
So basically you will only play in it if it is handy and convenient for you.

Yes, of course. Why should I play if its inconvenient for me? If I have something better/more important to do I would rather do it. We all set our priorities as we wish. Right now, this is where chess is on my priority list.

Muzzy
23-04-2010, 08:05 PM
No Major division this year??

So it's Classic or the Open for those above 1600?

Great to see the Champs in Sydney again though :)

Desmond
23-04-2010, 08:13 PM
So basically you will only play in it if it is handy and convenient for you.
By George, I think he's got it!

Garvinator
23-04-2010, 08:37 PM
No Major division this year??

So it's Classic or the Open for those above 1600?

Great to see the Champs in Sydney again though :)
It is not the champs, it is the Australian Open. Different format, different criteria. In the Open any player from anywhere in the world can enter, unlike in a Championship year.

The Bennett
24-04-2010, 12:43 AM
so to confirm its open minor or classic?

Garvinator
24-04-2010, 02:19 AM
so to confirm its open minor or classic?Correct.

Garrett
12-05-2010, 05:57 PM
just booked my accommodation :cool:

There will be an Ashes test on in Sydney in the first week of January, so it might be best to get in quick.

I am staying at the same place I stayed January this year, Cammeray Gardens, which is a block and a half from Norths Leagues Club.

cheers
Garrett.

Peter Abbott
29-07-2010, 09:59 AM
2011 Australian Open Chess Championships 2-13 January 2011

The tournaments are now open for business and are taking entries. Full details are available on the website
www.northsydneychess.org/2011-australian-open

Options include the Open and U1600 Minor as well as the U1800 Norths Classic, for those who would prefer a shorter tournament. The Australian Lightning will take place during the rest day. The prize fund is in excess of $11500

There are a number of ways to enter including:
• Register directly via the tournament website
• Our sponsor Australian Chess Enterprises are taking entries either through their website (www.chessaustralia.com.au) or directly with them
• Via Chess Discount Sales or Sydney Academy of Chess who have both kindly agreed to take entries.

The 2010 Australian Championships were a lot of fun so let's hope that lots of us have an equally enjoyable event at the same venue in January!

ER
29-07-2010, 05:10 PM
great Peter thanks! :)
BTW I just spoke to Mr Norman Greenwood on the phone. It was quite a while since I last heard some civilised Sydney voice answering my questions!
Organised airfares and accommodation!
I will pay for entree fee as soon as you place all the particulars in the website.
Looking forward to see you all happy and healthy there!
Plan for 2011: To play in at least two tournaments in Sydney apart from my other interstate tours de force!

mishahu
29-07-2010, 06:48 PM
The entry details and payment methods are on the tournament site linked from the norths page. The "official site" of the tournament is @ https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/

ER
29-07-2010, 07:16 PM
The entry details and payment methods are on the tournament site linked from the norths page. The "official site" of the tournament is @ https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/

Unfortunately they aren't yet there. There are some details about schedule etc which I found useful and thanks! However, all the information I needed I 've found in the always reliable Australian Chess Enterprises site http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=catalog&g=events
as it was suggested in another post in this thread!
Thanks anyway! good luck with the tournament's organisation,see you there!

ER
29-07-2010, 07:49 PM
That's what I call efficiency:
I entered the Chess in Australia Website
I placed my order
automatically I got this on my screen

Thank you for the order.
Your receipt number is 100 ... ... .
You will receive a confirmation email.
To return please click www.chessaustralia.com.au

I checked my email, the confirmation was already there:

Thank you for your order.
This email is to confirm the following.

web order - 100... .... ....
---
001 x Australian Lightning (NORTHS) - AUS_LIGHTNING_ Price $ ...
001 x Australian Minor (NORTHS) - AUS_MINOR_Price $ ...
---
subtotal = $...
postage (Z16 - EVENT ENTRY - NO POSTAGE REQUIRED) = 0000.00
total = $ ...

All in less than 3 minutes!!!

ER
29-07-2010, 07:54 PM
And as you might have noticed, this year I will stay the duration, since I have arranged my o/s travel NOT to interfere with this tournament.
So I will play in the Minor this year instead of the Classic as in 2009 and 2010!
After so many years of playing in all sorts of tournaments, this is my first Australian Championship. (Minor)
Finally chess is becoming my first priority!!!
:clap: for me! thanks! :)

ER
30-07-2010, 05:29 PM
In organisational matters Garrett is unplayable, but I am getting there! :lol:

MELBOURNE TO SYDNEY
1015hr (10:15am), Sun 02 Jan 2011
ARRIVING
Sydney 1140hr (11:40am), Sun 02 Jan 2011
SYDNEY TO MELBOURNE
2115hr (9:15pm), Thu 13 Jan 2011
ARRIVING
Melbourne 2245hr (10:45pm), Thu 13 Jan 2011

Garrett
30-07-2010, 07:05 PM
see you there JaK !

Should be a great couple of weeks.

cheers
Garrett.

Adamski
30-07-2010, 08:50 PM
The entry details and payment methods are on the tournament site linked from the norths page. The "official site" of the tournament is @ https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/Well done mishahu! JaK, you just follow Registration and Entries links. But of course you don't need to, as I can see that your entry is already recorded. See you at the lightning if not before!!

ER
31-07-2010, 09:06 AM
see you there JaK !

Should be a great couple of weeks.

cheers

... as I can see that your entry is already recorded. See you at the lightning if not before!!

Sure Garrett and Adamski, I look forward to see you there as well. Cheers! :)

Peter Abbott
04-08-2010, 01:45 PM
We have made slight amendments to the schedule that was posted on the tournament website so would like to confirm a couple of points.

The rest day for the Australian Open and Australian Minor will be Saturday 8 January 2011. This allows for a reasonably even distribution of rounds before and after the rest day. The Australian Lightning will be held on Saturday January 8 at 2pm.

The final round of the Norths Classic will be held on Saturday 8 January at 11am. We intend running the last round of the Classic in a separate room so that any last round games still in progress at the commencement of the Lightning are not disrupted.

Tournament details are available via the Norths Chess Club site http://www.northsydneychess.org/2011-australian-open

ER
04-08-2010, 09:57 PM
The final round of the Norths Classic will be held on Saturday 8 January at 11am. We intend running the last round of the Classic in a separate room so that any last round games still in progress at the commencement of the Lightning are not disrupted.

Thanks Peter! :) Is that going to be my favourite room? the one GM Ian Rogers was commentating in this year's Aus Champs???
That's actually the room that the ANZ weekender was played a couple of years back.
That's where I met Adamski and Berg for first time. As usual I am losing my pens just before the round started so I asked Berg - my fellow Manchester United supporter to give me one of his, he smiled from ear to ear and said "Nah" then Mssrs Norman Greenwood and Peter Cassetari both offered me theirs! Suffer Berg :P

Adamski
04-08-2010, 11:05 PM
We have made slight amendments to the schedule that was posted on the tournament website so would like to confirm a couple of points.

The rest day for the Australian Open and Australian Minor will be Saturday 8 January 2011. This allows for a reasonably even distribution of rounds before and after the rest day. The Australian Lightning will be held on Saturday January 8 at 2pm....Tournament details are available via the Norths Chess Club site http://www.northsydneychess.org/2011-australian-openFor me, Peter and norths team, that is a sad change and I will have to withdraw from the lightning. You can keep my entry fee as a small donation. The reason: I am going to a good friend's (and former boarder's) wedding on Sat Jan 8. And it is in the Blue Mountains...

Sheroff
27-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Should be a great Open this year. Maybe I can talk the wife into a brief holiday down in Sydney, so I can play the Lightning...

I am a bit surprised, however, that there is no Rapid Play event. I seem to recall playing both a 6-round Rapid event (in the daytime) and also the Lightning (the same evening), I assume it was on the rest day, when the event was in Brisbane.

I read a previous post by Mr. Bonham expressing the view that there would not be much interest in a Rapid tourney. Well, this player, if he can make it to Sydney, would certainly have played in one had it been available.

Rapid chess is excellent for those who don't have the time to play in the Open proper. I believe it should ALWAYS be an option at every Australian Open. There are a few players from out of state who might be inclined to make the trip for some Rapid and Lightning action. Just my two cents...

Cheers,

Kevin Casey
Brisbane

Bill Gletsos
27-08-2010, 11:18 PM
I am a bit surprised, however, that there is no Rapid Play event. I seem to recall playing both a 6-round Rapid event (in the daytime) and also the Lightning (the same evening), I assume it was on the rest day, when the event was in Brisbane.The Rapid and Lightning were held 5 days apart in Brisbane in 2006.

ER
28-08-2010, 03:55 AM
[QUOTE=Sheroff]Should be a great Open this year. Maybe I can talk the wife into a brief holiday down in Sydney, so I can play the Lightning...

That 'll be a great idea you will love it! :) playing at Norths (if you haven't had the opportunity yet) is a gret experience!

I assume it was on the rest day, when the event was in Brisbane.

answered by

The Rapid and Lightning were held 5 days apart in Brisbane in 2006.

You should see him in Trivia competitions here! Let's test him: WHO won The Rapid and WHO the Lightning in Brisbane 2006?

There are a few players from out of state who might be inclined to make the trip for some Rapid and Lightning action. Just my two cents...

I tend to agree with you, in recent years when my work schedule was overloaded I could only managed a week or so to go to NSW from Melbourne. Now things have improved and in 2011 I will stay the duration. On the other hand, this is a huge event to organise and its present form is based upon years of experience. I am not sure of the amount of work and complexity of logistics that would be required to add and/or change the existing format. In any case I hope I see you there! :)

Bill Gletsos
28-08-2010, 10:42 AM
You should see him in Trivia competitions here! Let's test him: WHO won The Rapid and WHO the Lightning in Brisbane 2006?I think Ly won the Rapid and Zhao the Lightning.

Peter Abbott
28-08-2010, 03:51 PM
The initial idea was to have both Lightning and Rapid. However, when the organising committee tried to put the schedule together there were a range of competing priorities and, unfortunately, the Rapid lost out.

Running both Rapid and Lightning on the rest day is a good suggestion. However, ACF have scheduled their Annual Conference on that day, so I don't think that can work for 2011.

Maybe the Rapid can find a place in the 2012 championship or 2013 Open.

The Lightning should be a lot of fun though and, being on a weekend, may be able to attract a number of players who can't find the time for the longer tournaments.

And, Sheroff, good luck in talking your wife into a brief trip South!

ER
28-08-2010, 03:54 PM
I think Ly won the Rapid and Zhao the Lightning.

Hey Sheroff did you read this??? :hmm: :rolleyes: told you the guy is unplayable! :lol:

ER
31-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Here is the updated website. I got the link from Adamski's shout. It's a good piece of work! :) :clap:
https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/home

Duff McKagan
31-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Running both Rapid and Lightning on the rest day is a good suggestion. However, ACF have scheduled their Annual Conference on that day, so I don't think that can work for 2011.

It seems like a large number want a rapid play, so how about follow the suggestions? Why not hold the Annual Conference in the evening? If it goes for too long, split it over 2 evenings. The Annual Conference should not get in the way of chess events.

Kevin Bonham
31-08-2010, 09:07 PM
It seems like a large number want a rapid play, so how about follow the suggestions? Why not hold the Annual Conference in the evening? If it goes for too long, split it over 2 evenings. The Annual Conference should not get in the way of chess events.

As I mentioned in a previous post (#19) it's rather difficult for the Annual Conference to be held without it getting in the way of a possible opportunity to play chess. The reason for this is that the National Conference is an event at which states are represented proportionally to their population, but for states to be represented in this way it is necessary to have sufficient delegates there. And the only way this tends to happen in practice is by roping in interstate players from the tournament to act as Conference delegates for their states, which they're not likely to accept if the Conference clashes with any chess they could play in, and which they might not accept if it's held at night with a tournament game the next day.

Additionally, splitting the Conference across two nights causes the same problem as holding the Conference and Council Meeting on different nights (see #19 again). Probably wouldn't be needed though; neither the Conference nor the Council Meeting tend to exceed 3 hours each.

I find the National Conference with its very strict limitations on proxy voting (effectively only one proxy vote/state) to be a rather odd piece of structure but since it is embedded in the ACF Constitution which requires a 3/4 majority at a National Conference to change it, I'm not sure if it will be changed any time soon.

How many people are known to want to play in a Rapid?

Bill Gletsos
31-08-2010, 09:11 PM
As far as I am aware an Australian Lightning Championship and an Australian Rapid Championship have never been run on the same day at an Australian Open/Championship. I dont believe even a state lightning championship and state rapid championship have been held on the same day.

An 11 round lightning will take around 3 hours minimum, longer if a play-off is required.
A 7 round rapid will take at least 8 hours.

That is 11 hours without allowing for a lunch break and/or a dinner break.

Adamski
01-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Here is the updated website. I got the link from Adamski's shout. It's a good piece of work! :) :clap:
https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/homeThanks, JaK. I shouted to let people know that the official brochure for the event is now available for download from the web site. You can see the link on the home page (as per JaK's sig and mishahu's earlier post).

Duff McKagan
01-09-2010, 10:41 PM
And the only way this tends to happen in practice is by roping in interstate players from the tournament to act as Conference delegates for their states, which they're not likely to accept if the Conference clashes with any chess they could play in, and which they might not accept if it's held at night with a tournament game the next day.

Well then one could hold the National Conference on the night before the rest day. That would give those players that attend the meeting a choice of whether they want to play the rapid or lightning the next day.

How many people are known to want to play in a Rapid?
All who want a rapid event, say 'aye' below :D

I only know of a handful, but let's give people a choice. The other thing is that those players that attend the National Conference are much the minority as compared to others that would consider playing in the rapid event. The good thing about the rapid event is that you would attract those players that are not playing in the main events because they find those too long/tiring.

As far as I am aware an Australian Lightning Championship and an Australian Rapid Championship have never been run on the same day at an Australian Open/Championship. I dont believe even a state lightning championship and state rapid championship have been held on the same day.

An 11 round lightning will take around 3 hours minimum, longer if a play-off is required.
A 7 round rapid will take at least 8 hours.

That is 11 hours without allowing for a lunch break and/or a dinner break.

That seems like a lot, but players can choose if they want to kill themselves or not :D The idea is that you would attract those players that are not competing in the other events as well as the diehards who would like to play in everything. For the rapid, of course one would have a lunch break in the middle of the tournament.

peter_parr
02-09-2010, 10:48 AM
I repeat my post 17 of 22 April.

Australia to the best of my knowledge is the only country in the world that has a regular updated rapid rating list (produced by Bill Gletsos). Rapid Play takes a full day and by tradition is held on a free day during the championship. The free day on a Saturday is perfect for numerous Sydney players who have to work during the week, as well as players in the tournaments.

The one day rapid play on a free day in the Australian Championship attracted 95 players more than 20 years ago.
Rapid Play has increased in popularity since then and 150 entrants or more is realistic for Jan 2011 in Sydney. (there were 696 players in the Warsaw rapid Dec 2009)

What do players think?

The Norths Club in conjunction with Norths Chess Club have been extremely generous in the use of both the Celebrity Room which seats 530 guests and the Kamaraigal Room which seats 110 guests (see their web site) for the Australian Open Chess Championships with access for 13 hours a day if required for 12 consecutive days. (156 hours)

The Australian Open runs for 66 hours over 11 days. This leaves 90 hours over 12 days for 640 guests. I note the concerns of an ACF V-P -"how many people are known to want to play in a rapid". The answer is - If we have a venue for 640 guests over 90 hours in 12 days which is not being used we should use it. The free day is a Saturday. A rapid-play on that day during the Australian Open would have been an outstanding success.

There are over 8000 juniors in NSW selected for and competing in inter-school competition each year as well as numerous juniors in ACT etc. This one day event would have been ideal for practice for juniors before the Australian junior in Melbourne. In addition a large number of competitors from the Australian Open would have played. There are numerous adult players in the heart of Sydney (near Norths) who would have played in this gigantic one-day spectacular event (creating great coverage in the Press) who may not be able to commit themselves to a 12 day event. Numbers would of course be substantially increased by the fact it is a Saturday and no-one needed to take time off work.

20 years ago 95 played in the rapid during the Championships when rapid events were far less popular than they are today. The rapid-play in Artarmon Sydney had substantially more players many years ago. 696 played in the Dec 2009 Warsaw Rapid (15 mins plus 10sec increment per move)-first 8 rounds on a Saturday. Only yesterday the teams rapid in Kuala Lumpur had 280 players. The ACF itself suggests holding the national rapid-play on a free day and Australian Lightning etc in its by-laws yet requires in Jan 2011 the 640 seat venue be set aside all day for the National Conference.

Is the ACF Schedule on the Saturday now to have a 3+ hour meeting in the morning - a lightning in the afternoon - and another 3+ hour meeting at night - if so I would say that is a very poor schedule. On a club, state and national level we must encourage more people into our administration. This schedule will leave the evening meeting with few attendees (apart from the same few year after year)- one 3+ hour meeting in a day is enough surely.

BTW - ACF Office bearers are elected on this day - nominations etc 90 days in advance - enthusiasm for chess and common-sense required. Read the ACF constitution.
A large one day rapid on the Saturday free day, the lightning any evening 7.30pm-10.30pm,the National Conference any evening 7-11pm followed by a delegates meeting next morning (or next evening is surely a much better schedule). Sub committees could meet every night as ACF required.

More important than all the above is we must support the club that supports us. A giant rapid play all day Saturday means numerous meals sold by the club to players during lunch break and after play, numerous drinks sold to players and spectators, poker machine income for the club. If we fill up the club eat and drink and use their facilities they will be very happy with us. Clubs need people. We have the people - but cancelling the most popular event is in my opinion a mistake and against the will of the players. If we want any venue in future years (as we obviously do) we must fully use the premises. Note:- The schedule of the full rest day for the National Conference was taken by the ACF and Norths complied with the ACF requirements for the Championships.

Peter Parr

Kevin Bonham
02-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Is the ACF Schedule on the Saturday now to have a 3+ hour meeting in the morning - a lightning in the afternoon - and another 3+ hour meeting at night - if so I would say that is a very poor schedule. On a club, state and national level we must encourage more people into our administration. This schedule will leave the evening meeting with few attendees (apart from the same few year after year)- one 3+ hour meeting in a day is enough surely.

Firstly, the two meetings are not all the same people. Although those who are on Council tend to be Conference delegates as well, most of the Conference delegates are not Councillors, and so attend only one meeting. The number attending the Council meeting in person is typically about 8-10 with a few more via remote phone hookup where necessary. Encouraging mass attendance at the Council meeting is a non-issue because this meeting is confined to the ACF Executive, the ACF state delegates on Council, any representatives of associated bodies who wish to attend and anyone else specifically invited.

Secondly holding the meetings on separate days is not a good idea for those administrators travelling to the National Conference from outside the Sydney area as this forces them to stay for extra time in order to attend both meetings, thus incurring extra costs. It is best that the meetings both be held on one day if practical. One at night and the other the following morning might be OK but any further apart than that would be a bad idea.

BTW - ACF Office bearers are elected on this day - nominations etc 90 days in advance - enthusiasm for chess and common-sense required. Read the ACF constitution.

Nominations 90 days in advance are required for the Presidency only. For every other position nominations can be received up until the time of the ballot.

A large one day rapid on the Saturday free day, the lightning any evening 7.30pm-10.30pm,the National Conference any evening 7-11pm followed by a delegates meeting next morning (or next evening is surely a much better schedule).

Having the lightning on that late would discourage serious tournament competitors from entering it unless perhaps it was held the night before the rest day.

Possibly lightning the night before rest day, rapid and national conference on rest day, ACF Council meeting the morning after rest day would be a workable solution if there was big demand for a rapid - but would players want to play lightning immediately after their tournament games?

Denis_Jessop
02-09-2010, 03:08 PM

I don't see that the ACF Conference necessarily prevents the holding of a chess event at the same time though the matter mentioned by Kevin is a practical reason for not doing so. There is also the ACF Council meeting following the Conference to consider which would prevent the night time suggestion.

In recent years the Conference has been held in the morning and the Council meeting at night. That is done to allow Councillors to play in the Lightning which is held in the afternoon. In some previous years the Council meeting has been held concurrent with the Lightning. The Conference never has as far as I know.

The crucial matter seems to be that raised by Bill, namely, the time needed for two event on the one day is unrealistic. Don't forget the burden imposed on the organisers, too.

Finally, I mention, first, that on occasions delegates to the Conference and Council meetings have come to the venue specially for the meetings, sometimes from interState and, secondly, the absence of a Rapid in recent years has atttracted very little comment as far as I know suggesting that it is not perhaps as popular as a Lightning.

DJ

ER
02-09-2010, 03:17 PM
I believe it's up to the participants if they want to have a rapid or not.

I, like other players from interstate, pay lots of money for fares, accommodation etc and should have a say in order to have our money's worth.

Similarly, our colleagues from NSW, who should consider themselves very lucky and at the same time commendable, for having such a great tournament held - a tournament which undoubtedly have helped to build, should be able to decide on the yes rapid / no rapid question.

So have it on the vote by asking every player who participates to tick a yes/no box on their entry form!

Oepty
02-09-2010, 03:40 PM
I don't see that the ACF Conference necessarily prevents the holding of a chess event at the same time though the matter mentioned by Kevin is a practical reason for not doing so. There is also the ACF Council meeting following the Conference to consider which would prevent the night time suggestion.

In recent years the Conference has been held in the morning and the Council meeting at night. That is done to allow Councillors to play in the Lightning which is held in the afternoon. In some previous years the Council meeting has been held concurrent with the Lightning. The Conference never has as far as I know.

The crucial matter seems to be that raised by Bill, namely, the time needed for two event on the one day is unrealistic. Don't forget the burden imposed on the organisers, too.

Finally, I mention, first, that on occasions delegates to the Conference and Council meetings have come to the venue specially for the meetings, sometimes from interState and, secondly, the absence of a Rapid in recent years has atttracted very little comment as far as I know suggesting that it is not perhaps as popular as a Lightning.

DJ

I have vague memories of the Conference being on at the same time as something else when the Championships were in Adelaide in 2004 but not 100% certain of it. It might have been the rapid as I played in that.
Scott

Kevin Bonham
02-09-2010, 03:42 PM
My view is that not only should all Councillors/delegates present be able to play in the lightning, it should be compulsory. :lol:

Muzzy
09-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Is the Classic going to be FIDE rated as well?

Bill Gletsos
09-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Is the Classic going to be FIDE rated as well?According to the website only the Open is FIDE rated.

Muzzy
10-09-2010, 10:16 AM
According to the website only the Open is FIDE rated.

But it goes for so long :(

Work opens its doors on the 7th so I don't think I can do the Open :doh:

Oh well, non FIDE rated Classic it might have to be by the looks of it...

michaelrichards
14-09-2010, 01:15 PM
I say we should have a rapid, if you didn't hold it, the people in the meetings won't be able to play in it anyway. We have the space, I'm sure the tournament will draw plenty of participants. Lots of people who are unable to play in the longer tournaments for whatever reason will get a chance to play.

ER
14-09-2010, 05:30 PM
But it goes for so long :(

Work opens its doors on the 7th so I don't think I can do the Open :doh:

Oh well, non FIDE rated Classic it might have to be by the looks of it...

Hi Muzzy, I faced your predicament last year, so I had to settle for the shorter event too. This coming year I consider myself lucky to play in the Minor so I can enjoy my staying in my beloved Sydney for almost two weeks :) But regardless, I am sure you will love the classic! It's a fantastic tournament!

The people at Norths deserve to be congratulated for treating all tournaments with equal respect as they do not distinguish in showing preferential treatment to the top division!

Maybe that's the policy of NSWCA I am not sure, however, three tournaments that I participated in or played in the last two years have fulfilled my expectations of their high standards and justified my beliefs that NSW is the capital of Australian Chess! :clap:

tkkw
14-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Hi,

Can I just get a clarification whether only the Open is FIDE rated, and the Minor/Classic is not FIDE rated, or all are three tournaments FIDE rated?

Cheers~

Bill Gletsos
14-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Hi,

Can I just get a clarification whether only the Open is FIDE rated, and the Minor/Classic is not FIDE rated, or all are three tournaments FIDE rated?

Cheers~As per the tournament brochure only the Open is FIDE rated.

tkkw
14-09-2010, 09:25 PM
As per the tournament brochure only the Open is FIDE rated.

Thanks for the prompt reply~

Garvinator
15-09-2010, 08:47 AM
I say we should have a rapid, if you didn't hold it, the people in the meetings won't be able to play in it anyway. We have the space, I'm sure the tournament will draw plenty of participants. Lots of people who are unable to play in the longer tournaments for whatever reason will get a chance to play.One of the main issues with holding the rapid, and hence why it has been dropped, is that it requires an extra day. This means increased costs for everyone.

Also, since 2008?, the Open/Champs have been started after New Years Day, instead of just after Christmas. This change has had an impact on the timing with the Aus Juniors and the end of school holidays.

So it has usually meant that to be able to fit both in, something had to go and it has been the rapid.

But from 2011 this may not be such a concern as the Aus Juniors format has changed to a nine day format so the rapid might be able to be added back in. Depends on what the 2012 Aus Champ organisers want to do.

peter_parr
15-09-2010, 12:04 PM
See also my post 57

The number attending the Council meeting in person is typically about 8-10 with a few more via remote phone hookup where necessary. Encouraging mass attendance at the Council meeting is a non-issue because this meeting is confined to the ACF Executive, the ACF state delegates on Council, any representatives of associated bodies who wish to attend and anyone else specifically invited.

Secondly holding the meetings on separate days is not a good idea for those administrators travelling to the National Conference from outside the Sydney area as this forces them to stay for extra time in order to attend both meetings, thus incurring extra costs. It is best that the meetings both be held on one day if practical. One at night and the other the following morning might be OK but any further apart than that would be a bad idea.

I was delighted to accept my invitation to Norths Presentation night Sept 2010 in the Celebrity Room(capacity 530 seated). There was ample space with only about 400 guests for dinner. I was seated between award winner Norths Chess Club President Paul Glissan and Nine times Australian Olympiad rep Max Fuller and opposite FIDE delegate Phil Viner and ACF Treasurer Norm Greenwood .

It greatly saddens me to think of this magnificent 530 seat venue and the 110 seat Kamaraigal room will not be used for the traditional Australian Open Rapid Play on the free day during the Australian Open in January 2011 due to a council meeting of 8-10 people , the lightning held to cater for the councillors in the afternoon, and the 640 seat venue used again only for another meeting after the lightning.

KB has concluded that not many players would be interested in the rapid play. I recall in January 2010 in the rapidplay when KB was in Hobart over 80 players participated in the rapid in Hobart on the free day. This event was restricted to juniors.
Can you imagine how many players ( open entry - adult and junior – over 8000 played in the NSW Inter-schools chess competition in 2010) would compete at Norths near The Harbour Bridge in Sydney (population over 4.5 million compared to Hobart 212,019) and on a Sunday – non working day.

The best time for the lightning was not Sunday in the afternoon but Tuesday evening, Norths Club night. Players in the Australian Open from all suburbs are already at the venue for their game on Tuesday and the lightning in the evening is clearly the best schedule. The Open is played the following day in the afternoon – how can players be too tired after the lightning? Many players from distant Sydney suburbs may not make the trip to the venue on the free day only for the lightning.

The two meetings could and should have been scheduled by the ACF on any evening followed by the next morning or on two consecutive evenings. If we want to attract new administrators with new ideas etc – which we definitely need - two long meetings in one day cancelling the rapid is a very bad idea.

The ACF By-laws suggest a one-day rapid at the Australian Open, the very large high quality venue should be used and the few hundred plus players could have purchased food etc and used the facilities of the club – which the club wants. Any bidder for future Australian Championships would surely want the venue used to its capacity. You could of course use the 110 seat Kamaraigal Room for the 8-10 person council meeting and simultaneously use the 530 seat Celebrity Room for the Rapid.

Kevin Bonham
15-09-2010, 04:08 PM
KB has concluded that not many players would be interested in the rapid play.

I haven't concluded anything. I said I suspected that the interest level was not all that high. I also asked the question
"How many people are known to want to play in a Rapid?" and apart from your extrapolations the response to that question has been muted to say the very least.

I recall in January 2010 in the rapidplay when KB was in Hobart over 80 players participated in the rapid in Hobart on the free day. This event was restricted to juniors.

Yes we had 81 players playing in a junior-only event compared with 117 playing in the main event. I don't believe that you can use a junior-only event (an opportunity for juniors to win those all important national titles and trophies for first, second and third in each division!) to draw conclusions about likely attendance at an adult rapid. Figures from rapids held on rest days of recent past Aus Opens would be more useful.

Can you imagine how many players ( open entry - adult and junior – over 8000 played in the NSW Inter-schools chess competition in 2010)

If you think even 1% of those juniors would show up to a rapid you are kidding me. Interschool tournaments are played on school days and it is very difficult to get the vast majority of players in them to switch to playing for themselves on weekends. It is a completely different chess universe.

If we want to attract new administrators with new ideas etc – which we definitely need - two long meetings in one day cancelling the rapid is a very bad idea.

I've already debunked the "two long meetings in one day ... is a very bad idea" claim in #58. Except that I would say that long meetings are a bad idea in any situation and trying to reduce the length of ACF meetings is something I have been active on several times over the years.

I'm sure if the organisers want to hold a rapid then some way can be found to rejig the schedule to make that possible. But in terms of the criticism for leaving off the Rapid, I'm just not seeing much evidence that there is actually much demand for it.

ER
15-09-2010, 05:01 PM
I believe it's up to the participants if they want to have a rapid or not.

I, like other players from interstate, pay lots of money for fares, accommodation etc and should have a say in order to have our money's worth.

Similarly, our colleagues from NSW, who should consider themselves very lucky and at the same time commendable, for having such a great tournament held - a tournament which undoubtedly have helped to build, should be able to decide on the yes rapid / no rapid question.

So have it on the vote by asking every player who participates to tick a yes/no box on their entry form!

Let me also repeat my above post! As a participant and not a long distance observer I believe it's up to those who enter to decide, provided that the organisers can accommodate it! :)

Garvinator
15-09-2010, 08:46 PM
There is also another easy solution, have one day with two rounds in a day and then that creates another free day for the rapid.

ER
15-09-2010, 09:09 PM
There is also another easy solution, have one day with two rounds in a day and then that creates another free day for the rapid.

That's also a very sound suggestion! The double round can take place early in the tournament when players are still fresh and not tired as it might happen in the final stages!

Garvinator
15-09-2010, 10:35 PM
That's also a very sound suggestion! The double round can take place early in the tournament when players are still fresh and not tired as it might happen in the final stages!I did not say that I endorse the suggestion ;) If there is a strong need for the rapid then I think it would be better to have the event last one day longer than have a double day.

ER
15-09-2010, 11:07 PM
I did not say that I endorse the suggestion ;)
I didn't say you did, and the last thing I wanted was to agree with you in the first place. Usually your suggestions are pure crap, that was an exception! I said it's a sound suggestion and I endorse it. Say you never intended it, fine with me!

If there is a strong need for the rapid then I think it would be better to have the event last one day longer than have a double day
I don't like that, in fact I consider it as pure crap, why add an extra day? It 'll cost more to hire the venue and will add at least an extra $150.00 to the expenses of each interstate player.

Desmond
16-09-2010, 07:13 PM
I didn't say you did, and the last thing I wanted was to agree with you in the first place. Usually your suggestions are pure crap, that was an exception! I said it's a sound suggestion and I endorse it. Say you never intended it, fine with me!
:lol: cop that Garvo

ER
16-09-2010, 07:18 PM
:lol: cop that Garvo

hehe it's only cauz i m not planning to move to QLD so I can taunt him from a safe distance! :P

Garrett
17-09-2010, 07:55 AM
hehe it's only cauz i m not planning to move to QLD so I can taunt him from a safe distance! :P

there's no safe distance from a Garvinator. You'd best hide.

Now to say something related to the topic another option could be to play 3 rounds of the rapid on three days (assuming a nine round tournament) which starts 6 hours after the main game on each day.

This would avoid double-round in open, avoid having people have to pay an extra day accommodation, keep players in the club longer on those days to buy food etc, and not affect players who are not in any way interested in rapid.

please note - this is a suggestion. I am not necessarily endorsing this suggestion :P .

cheers Garrett.

Garrett
17-09-2010, 08:11 AM
ok that's silly idea.

People who are not playing in the open might want to play the rapid and having rounds on different days would not be good.

ER
17-09-2010, 02:32 PM
there's no safe distance from a Garvinator. You'd best hide.
LOL I know I 've played under his direction and I got the "stare" (he told me off too) cauz I was making noise!

Now to say something related to the topic another option could be to play 3 rounds of the rapid on three days (assuming a nine round tournament) which starts 6 hours after the main game on each day.

That's another excellent idea, I never thought of in the first place!

This would avoid double-round in open, avoid having people have to pay an extra day accommodation, keep players in the club longer on those days to buy food etc, and not affect players who are not in any way interested in rapid.

Plus it would give the chance to the best (and not so best) players in Austraia to prove themselves on a national level. Let's face it, in my opinion rapid chess is more entertaining for the the public as well as some players who enjoy playing it. It's not by coincidence that we see it (rapid) is played to decide serious matches.

please note - this is a suggestion. I am not necessarily endorsing this suggestion :P .

too late sorry :lol:

On the other hand, I don't wanna miss the opportunity of witnessing an ACF AGM taking place. I mean c'mon having Bill Gletsos performing his duties on stage must be a sight not to miss! Last year I had bought a great endgame book from Peter Parr's and being late in the evening, I said WOW I have the whole analysis room for myself to go and do some practice! I blasted my way in only to be stared at with a "what tf are you doing here?" type of look by a No. of people who were having a meeting there! I apologised sheepishly and left. I mean c'mon even the bouncers showed some sympathy and said "it's ok mate you can use the big hall where they play draughts during the day as long as you 're out of there by 9.55pm, then we have to lock it up"!! :owned: :lol:

Kevin Bonham
17-09-2010, 05:04 PM
On the other hand, I don't wanna miss the opportunity of witnessing an ACF AGM taking place.

There actually isn't such thing as an ACF AGM in the conventional sense. The two meetings are:

* The National Conference, which consists of Delegates appointed by each state (or territory). The number of Delegates per state is based on the population of that state - one per million or part thereof.

* An in-person ACF Council meeting. This is confined to the thirteen-member ACF Council plus any associated body reps, non-Council officebearers and invited persons who may attend.

ER
17-09-2010, 06:53 PM
There actually isn't such thing as an ACF AGM in the conventional sense. The two meetings are:

* The National Conference, which consists of Delegates appointed by each state (or territory). The number of Delegates per state is based on the population of that state - one per million or part thereof.

* An in-person ACF Council meeting. This is confined to the thirteen-member ACF Council plus any associated body reps, non-Council officebearers and invited persons who may attend.

ok actually in my original (before I edited it) I had also "or whateveryoumightcall it" or something like that, then again I thought c'mon it's gotta be an AGM, so I left it as! :doh:

Ok so that means none of the two you referred to is open to the public? C'mon that's unfair, I am willing to pay for a good seat! :)

Kevin Bonham
17-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Ok so that means none of the two you referred to is open to the public?

Correct. Those not accredited to attend either may do so only if invited.

ER
17-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Correct. Those not accredited to attend either may do so only if invited.
What if I produce my Press Pass?

Kevin Bonham
17-09-2010, 08:22 PM
What if I produce my Press Pass?

We'd eat it. Try getting yourself accredited as a CV delegate. :lol:

ER
17-09-2010, 08:32 PM
We'd eat it. Try getting yourself accredited as a CV delegate. :lol:

I 'll find a way don't you worry, I managed to jump over the wall in the old Lang Park to watch State of Origin games when I was a kid! If you guys think you re smarter than Brissy cops (Bill Hayden was one of them! :P) you have another thing coming!

Hey, BTW why don't you hold them meetings down in the Norths bar? There is plenty of room, comfy chairs, not to mention beer, etc. After all that's the place most ACF committee members, chess dignitaries and other personalities spent most of their time during last year's Aus Open!

Adamski
27-10-2010, 08:06 AM
Just to clear up some minor confusion. The norths chess club Classic, 2011, is U 1800 not U 1600. Hopefully that change from the event in january this year will see some more entries.

A reminder to all intending entrants for the Open, Minor (that is U 1600) and the Classic that early bird entries will close in 47 days. Not so long now so get in early via the web site as per first one in my sig below.

Peter Abbott
18-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Just a reminder that the early entry fee period ends on 13 Dec. That's less than a month away. There have been a lot of enquiries and entries are starting to flow. The prize fund of over $11500 is guaranteed including the $2500 first prize.

mishahu
19-11-2010, 05:51 PM
And a reminder that there is an on line registration form @ https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/registration.

There is a number of convenient payment options including in person, cheque, bank transfer and paypal.

Only 24 days left for early bird entries!

The Bennett
30-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Hey everyone,

I have booked accomodation with my family but was wondering if any1 else would be kind enough to take me in.

Mum has kindly offered to take me to zonal which will cost a lot of money and the Aus open is going to cost her a lot more. It would really help us out if someone would take me in, this will of course mean that I would need to be taken to and from the tournament adless you live somewhere which is at walking distance. I will of course pay for my own food and I promise I won't cause any trouble :)

Please PM me or email me at bennett1.0@live.com.au

Cheers,

Matt Bennett

mishahu
06-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Only one week for early bird.

Register and pay by the 13th. Full rates apply after that.

Alexrules01
06-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Hey is there anyone looking to share accomodation or willing to take me in for the Aus Champs? I thought I would get somewhere but all my leads have not worked! Willing to help out with expenses etc, just an 18 year old buying accomodation for 2 weeks is a bit to much lol.

Thanks All, Alex

Peter Abbott
09-12-2010, 12:44 PM
A further reminder that early entries close on 13 December. That's only a few days away. The list of entries is 51 at this stage. The entry list only shows those where entries and payments have been matched up so there are quite a few more in the pipeline, as well as a number where intention to enter has been received, including some who are waiting for visas.

Top seeds are GM Zhao, IM Zie, FMs Illingworth and Ikeda and IMs Feldman and Berezina-Feldman so the field is starting to shape up quite nicely.

ER
09-12-2010, 01:57 PM
https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/

And that's the tournament's website! :) I know it's in my signature and it's been published in previous posts but knowing how demanding chess players are, why not? :)

Peter Abbott
09-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Thanks JAK. Yes, all of us involved in the Australian Open should create signatures with the website address - thanks for pointing that out.

We have had a number of entries today which we'll get on the website before too long - all of them steadily pushing me towards the bottom half of the draw!

Australian Open 2-13 January 2010 at Norths, Cammeray in Sydney's North Shore.

ER
09-12-2010, 06:29 PM
... We have had a number of entries today which we'll get on the website before too long - all of them steadily pushing me towards the bottom half of the draw!

Hehe, Join the Club Peter, and I am talking Minor here! :)

Tan the Bdx Man
10-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Just wondering, i haven't seen any evidence of it so is there gonna be a brilliancy prize this year?

Peter Abbott
11-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Yes, I am sure we will offer a brilliancy prize.

Further reminder. Early entries close on 13 December - only two days away.

Website shows around 61 entries. A load more came in today as well as a number who have asked to register with payment on the way so the number is probably looking closer to 80 now and growing.

Peter Abbott
13-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Further reminder - early entries close today.

Entries have been picking up with the usual late surge across the Open, Minor and Classic tournaments. The website shows 76 entrants but that represents only those where payments have been received and marked up. Total entries received have now passed the 100 mark.

Recent entries include Moulthun Ly, Greg Canfell and Gene Nakauchi. Gustavo Salaberry from Argentina carries a 2254 FIDE rating and in the ACF 1800-2000 range we are seeing names such as Kerry Stead and Anton Smirnov.

Plenty of space for more.

Peter Abbott
13-12-2010, 09:57 PM
The entry list has been updated.

https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/registration/entries

There are a few more that we are aware of that we will add once we have confirmed some details, so the fields are shaping up!

Peter Abbott
16-12-2010, 08:06 PM
The early entry period has now closed so remaining entries will be at the full price.

The current entry list totals 119 across the three tournaments.

And of course tournament entry could still make the ideal Christmas gift!

mishahu
24-12-2010, 04:01 PM
The perfect Christmas gift ... register now for that hard-to-buy-for chess nut in your family.

Peter Abbott
26-12-2010, 03:54 PM
With a week to go, entries stand at 138 across the 3 tournaments.
Although many people focus on picking the winner of the Open section, the Minor and Classic are also building really interesting fields.

Peter Abbott
30-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Only a couple of days to go until the Open. Our intention is to publish a provisional draw on the evening of 1 Jan on the tournament website. Any late entries would then be paired separately.

Entries continue to be received, 144 at the last count.

We understand that ACF rules indicate that there must be a minimum of 6 female players in the Open section for the Australian Woman's Chess Champion title to be awarded. Currently there are only 3 so here's an opportunity for some of our lady players to enter and have a shot at that title.

Kerry Stead
01-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Silly thought, but what has happened to the Australian Rapid play?

Adamski
01-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Silly thought, but what has happened to the Australian Rapid play?Hi Kerry. Glad to see you are playing. There is much discussion of the Rapid idea earlier in this thread.

Peter Abbott
01-01-2011, 07:43 PM
R1 provisional draw is up on the tournament website. Note that as this is the R1 draw we have made some qualifications as to how we would handle late entries, no-shows etc.

Kevin Bonham
01-01-2011, 07:53 PM
What's going on with:

41 Feldman, Vladimir NSW 2262 2181 [0] : Berezina-Feldman, Irina NSW 2238 2047 [0]

Both absent round 1?

Peter Abbott
01-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Our Chief Arbiter is probably best placed to answer that one. However, as I understand it, they notified the arbiter that neither could attend R1. The decision was to pair them against each other for R1. I am not sure about the location or timing of the game but the game score will be available. It could be a sensible outcome, one alternative could have been a half point bye and them playing each other in a later round.

Anyway, us simple organisers are happy to defer to the qualified arbiter on this one!

The Bennett
01-01-2011, 08:58 PM
:D I'm up against Garrett, should be fun.

GL Garrett,

MB

Adamski
01-01-2011, 10:59 PM
All the best to the norths organisers for the Australian Open, starting tomorrow.

Will I be able to see some live games online tomorrow afternoon?

Should be there in person on Monday.

Oepty
01-01-2011, 11:14 PM
All the best to the norths organisers for the Australian Open, starting tomorrow.

Will I be able to see some live games online tomorrow afternoon?

Should be there in person on Monday.

https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/view-games seems to indicate that will be live games
Scott

Desmond
02-01-2011, 11:32 AM
https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/view-games seems to indicate that will be live games
Scott
Are there any live games for this round? I can't seem to find them.

that Caesar guy
02-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Are there any live games for this round? I can't seem to find them.
I dont think the round has started yet :wall:

Adamski
02-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Yep, round due to start 1.30 but being round 1 it may start a little late, especially if lots of late entrants.

Desmond
02-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Yep, round due to start 1.30 but being round 1 it may start a little late, especially if lots of late entrants.
Ahh here we go ... http://www.smartdolphins.net/live/ausopen2011/tfd.htm

that Caesar guy
02-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Ahh here we go ... http://www.smartdolphins.net/live/ausopen2011/tfd.htm
1. h3!! Forcing black to find the only move to hold the position...
1...h5!! and it's equal...or so it seems...white has a sting in the tail!
2. Nc3!! and black is lost. Brilliancy prize!

Desmond
02-01-2011, 01:06 PM
1. h3!! Forcing black to find the only move to hold the position...
1...h5!! and it's equal...or so it seems...white has a sting in the tail!
2. Nc3!! and black is lost. Brilliancy prize!
An anti-Grob system, I presume.

Adamski
02-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Is it right that only one board is working? Solo's game?

that Caesar guy
02-01-2011, 01:17 PM
An anti-Grob system, I presume.
:lol:

antichrist
02-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Our Chief Arbiter is probably best placed to answer that one. However, as I understand it, they notified the arbiter that neither could attend R1. The decision was to pair them against each other for R1. I am not sure about the location or timing of the game but the game score will be available. It could be a sensible outcome, one alternative could have been a half point bye and them playing each other in a later round.

Anyway, us simple organisers are happy to defer to the qualified arbiter on this one!

Would not pairing them against each other completely mix up the draw? Talk about panties in a knot - unless it is a round robin

Adamski
02-01-2011, 01:36 PM
There are 11 rounds, so plenty of time for things to right themselves draw-wise.

Kevin Bonham
02-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Would not pairing them against each other completely mix up the draw?

No. First round, large field, plenty of time for the draw to sort the field out. In a large Swiss there will always be some players who are out of where they would be expected to be in the early rounds because of forfeits, byes, upsets or whatever. And no matter what you do they won't be playing round 1 anyway so by pairing them you're not creating a problem. Indeed it would be more of a problem if you gave both of them zero.

The thing that would make me a bit thoughtful about it is that it might unfairly improve their norm chances compared with the rest of the field. Strong players fishing for norms would love to play someone near their own rating in round 1 instead of a weak opponent. But they are both IMs already and very unlikely to ever gain any higher title so I don't think it's an issue.

Adamski
02-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Good news - 4 live boards now working.

Kevin Bonham
02-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Good news - 4 live boards now working.

Pleasing to see. Good luck with them staying that way!

soupman_2
02-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Re the computers crashing on Day One

Just a suggestion: why not have a warm-up day to get all the computer wirings and software right. You see schools do it. Only a couple of classes come the first day. This helps to get the system up and running. Then the other classes come later in the week. What if one of the minor comps started a day before the main event with a few boards being put online as a test run? It just seems that no matter what the tournament - I'm even talking the Chess Olympiad - there are always glitches the first day.

I have found today's broadcast particularly frustrating, as the system crashed at an exciting point in all four games and has been offline for about an hour now.

mishahu
02-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Round 1 results and Round 2 pairings are now available @ https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/results-and-pairings/pairings

Kevin Bonham
02-01-2011, 08:19 PM
I'm seeing round 2 pairings fine but for round 1 results all I can find is the crosstables here: https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/results-and-pairings-1/1-open (etc)

and additionally, the Open section (link above) is currently displaying a duplicate of the Minor crosstable.

From the round 2 pairings I can make out that the top 10 seeds other than Feldman won, Garner and Mandla and several other top-halfers below them lost, and Feldman-Berezina-Feldman was a draw.

By the way good to see Irina playing in this tournament in the leadup to the Rotorua Zonal.

Basil
02-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Underpants Minor Camera is following Team Good Guys, which comprises:

John Alkin (1590)
Mark Stokes (1532)
Trent Parker (1506)
Elliott Renzies (1298)

Alkin played like a schoolboy and drew.
Stokes played a workmanlike round 1 and took the point.
Parker played like a girl and split the point (with apologies to girls - especially the ones that can crush me)
Renzies punched above his weight and taught seed four a wily lesson.

Oepty
02-01-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm seeing round 2 pairings fine but for round 1 results all I can find is the crosstables here: https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/results-and-pairings-1/1-open (etc)

and additionally, the Open section (link above) is currently displaying a duplicate of the Minor crosstable.

From the round 2 pairings I can make out that the top 10 seeds other than Feldman won, Garner and Mandla and several other top-halfers below them lost, and Feldman-Berezina-Feldman was a draw.

By the way good to see Irina playing in this tournament in the leadup to the Rotorua Zonal.

Open first round results appear in full at http://chess-results.com/tnr42508.aspx?art=2&rd=1&lan=1&m=-1&wi=1000
Scott

Desmond
02-01-2011, 08:58 PM
I notice that the current DGT relay shows a game between John Wayne and Chuck Norris that is 4 moves in. I know this must be a mistake because Chuck Norris can always force mate in 1 move; that move is the roundhouse kick.

mishahu
02-01-2011, 09:13 PM

Apologies, open results now fixed on the tournament website https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/results-and-pairings-1/1-open.

Kevin Bonham
02-01-2011, 09:13 PM
I notice that the current DGT relay shows a game between John Wayne and Chuck Norris that is 4 moves in. I know this must be a mistake because Chuck Norris can always force mate in 1 move; that move is the roundhouse kick.

Except when he plays for the endgame so he can mate with King against King and Bishop. :lol:

Trent Parker
02-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Oi can someone tell the organisers that if I dont turn up. Its because my opponent has left me at his place, where I'm staying tonight lol.

Fair dinkum, If I wanna play parramatta chess club members i'll go to parramatta chess club lol

Kaitlin
02-01-2011, 09:58 PM
they must be working somewhere becasue they are relaying the games @ another site and they have four

Denis_Jessop
02-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Except when he plays for the endgame so he can mate with King against King and Bishop. :lol:

I think that John Wayne should kick ass with Nxf7; Kxf7; e3. After all if he tries to play like a GM (Duncan Suttles) on move 1 he must mean business. :)

DJ

Adamski
02-01-2011, 10:51 PM
I dig Daisy's development of the Rook to ...h7.:)

Tony Dowden
03-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Feldman-Berezina vs Feldman was a draw.

:hmm: How could these two have been paired together in the first round of a Swiss event with over 80 players when they are the 9th and 11th seeds?

Maybe they actually had half-point byes?

mishahu
03-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Round 1 games can now be viewed and downloaded @ https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/view-games

Oepty
03-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Round 1 games can now be viewed and downloaded @ https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/view-games

Thank you.
Scott

Tony Dowden
03-01-2011, 09:33 AM
On perusing the field I spotted something interesting. Anton Smirnov: born 2001, Jan 2011 FIDE rating 2002

:hmm: There can't be many players born in the 21st century with a FIDE rating higher than their birth year!

Rincewind
03-01-2011, 09:47 AM
On perusing the field I spotted something interesting. Anton Smirnov: born 2001, Jan 2011 FIDE rating 2002

:hmm: There can't be many players born in the 21st century with a FIDE rating higher than their birth year!

Indeed, well done Anton. :clap:

According to the FIDE rating list for Jan 2011 there are only two others globally.

Jorian Jared Acosta Cubides (2020)
Sergei Lobanov (2010)

both also born in 2001.

Adamski
03-01-2011, 10:31 AM
:hmm: How could these two have been paired together in the first round of a Swiss event with over 80 players when they are the 9th and 11th seeds?

Maybe they actually had half-point byes?Hi Tony. This is discussed earlier in tge thread. In sum they notified Chief Arbiter of inability to be present at venue for round one and got paired against each orher.

Tony Dowden
03-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Hi Tony. This is discussed earlier in tge thread. In sum they notified Chief Arbiter of inability to be present at venue for round one and got paired against each orher.

Thanks Jonathan. Sorry I didn't look through the whole thread.

Kevin Bonham
03-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Round 1 PGN is up via https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/view-games

Zhao - Davis. A neat finish.

1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6 3. Nf3 Nf6 4. Nc3 e6 5. Bg5 dxc4 6. e4 b5 7. e5 h6 8. Bh4 g5 9. Bg3 Nh5 10. Be2 Bb7 11. a4 Qb6 12. Nxg5 Nxg3 13. hxg3 Nd7 14. Bh5 hxg5 15. Bxf7+ Kxf7 16. Rxh8 Ke7 17. Qg4 Kd8 18. a5 Qa6 19. Qxe6 Kc7 20. Rxf8 Rxf8 21. Qd6+ Kc8 22. e6 Rd8 23. exd7+ Rxd7 24. Qc5 Kb8 25. Ne4 Rd5 26. Qf8+ 1-0

From shoutbox last night:

trailer park lovers: deanhogg reckoned that move 12 for gm zhao was probably going to be 12 0-0 or 12 qd2 . i mentioned 12 nxg5 prior to that and he said my prediction was the guess of a 1900 rated player. what cheek !! he may regret that.

:lol:

Highest-rated upset:

Garner - Ari Dale. Dale's progress over 2010 has been spectacular.

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nf3 Bg7 4. Nc3 d5 5. Qb3 dxc4 6. Qxc4 Na6 7. e4 O-O 8. Be3 Ng4 9. Bg5 c5 10. d5 Qb6 11. Qb5 Nb4 12. Rc1 Qd6 13. a3 Bd7 14. Qe2 Na6 15. Qd2 Rfe8 16. Be2 e5 17. h3 Nf6 18. O-O Nc7 19. a4 Rec8 20. Qe3 b6 21. Nd2 Nfe8 22. Nc4 Qf8 23. f4 h6 24. Bh4 exf4 25. Qd3 g5 26. Bf2 Nd6 27. h4 g4 28. g3 f3 29. Bd1 Nxc4 30. Qxc4 Qd6 31. Bc2 Be5 32. Kh2 a6 33. Nd1 b5 34. Qd3 Ne8 35. Bb1 Ng7 36. Rg1 Nh5 37. Qc2 c4 38. Ne3 Qf6 39. Kh1 Bxb2 40. Rcd1 Be5 41. axb5 axb5 42. d6 Be6 43. Nd5 Bxd5 44. Rxd5 Ra1 45. d7 Rd8 46. Rxe5 Qxe5 47. Qd2 Qe6 48. Rd1 Rxd7 49. Bd4 Nxg3+ 50. Kh2 Qd6 51. e5 Qxd4 52. Qc2 Qd2+ 53. Kxg3 Qxc2 0-1

Epic of the round (and an upset) Neudel - McGuirk

1. d4 d5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. c4 c6 4. e3 e6 5. Nc3 Nbd7 6. Be2 Be7 7. O-O O-O 8. b3 Qc7 9. Bb2 Re8 10. Rc1 Qb8 11. Qc2 Bd6 12. h3 e5 13. cxd5 cxd5 14. dxe5 Nxe5 15. Nb5 Nfd7 16. Rfd1 Nb6 17. Nxd6 Nxf3+ 18. Bxf3 Qxd6 19. Qc7 Rd8 20. e4 Be6 21. Qxb7 Rd7 22. Qc6 Qxc6 23. Rxc6 dxe4 24. Rxd7 Bxd7 25. Bxe4 Bxc6 26. Bxc6 Rd8 27. Be5 Rd1+ 28. Kh2 Rd2 29. a4 Nd7 30. Bg3 f6 31. a5 Ne5 32. Bxe5 fxe5 33. Kg1 Rd1+ 34. Kh2 Ra1 35. Ba4 Kf7 36. Kg3 Ke6 37. a6 Ra3 38. Kf3 Kd5 39. Ke3 e4 40. h4 Ke5 41. g3 h6 42. f3 exf3 43. Kxf3 Ra1 44. Bb5 Ra5 45. Bc4 Kd4 46. Kf4 Re5 47. Bf1 g5+ 48. hxg5 hxg5+ 49. Kg4 Ke3 50. Bc4 Kf2 51. Bf7 Ra5 52. Bc4 Rc5 53. Bf7 Re5 54. Bc4 Ra5 55. Bd3 Ke3 56. Bc4 Re5 57. Bf7 Kd4 58. Bc4 Kc5 59. Kh5 Kd6 60. g4 Kd7 61. Bd3 Ke8 62. Bf5 Ra5 63. Kxg5 Rxa6 64. Bd3 Rb6 65. Bc4 Kf8 66. Kf5 Kg7 67. g5 Rc6 68. Kf4 a5 69. Bd5 Rc5 70. Be4 Rc3 71. Bd5 Rd3 72. Bc4 Rd4+ 73. Ke3 Rg4 74. Kd3 Rxg5 75. Kc3 Kf6 76. Kb2 Ke7 77. Ka3 Kd6 78. Ka4 Kc7 79. Be6 Re5 80. Bc4 Kb6 81. Bg8 Re2 82. Ka3 Kc5 83. Bf7 Re4 84. Bc4 Re8 85. Bf7 Re3 86. Bc4 Re1 87. Bf7 Rd1 88. Bg8 Ra1+ 89. Kb2 Rg1 90. Bf7 Kb4 91. Be6 Rg2+ 92. Kc1 Ka3 93. Kd1 Kb2 94. Bd5 Rg3 95. Kd2 Rg4 96. Be6 Rd4+ 97. Ke3 Kc3 98. Bf7 Rd7 99. Bg8 Re7+ 100. Kf4 Rb7 101. Bd5 Rxb3 0-1

Chesschat's roving reporter starts with a bang with a 250+ point upset! Opponent plays what looks like a sensible pin but is actually for tactical reasons a Disaster Move.

Cedric Koh - Renzies

1. d4 Nf6 2. Bg5 Ne4 3. h4 c6 4. Nd2 Nxg5 5. hxg5 d5 6. e3 Nd7 7. g6 fxg6 8. Bd3 Kf7 9. Ngf3 Kg8 10. c4 Nf6 11. Ne5 Qe8 12. Qf3 Be6 13. cxd5 cxd5 14. Rc1 Nd7 15. Bb5?? Nxe5! 16. Bxe8 Nxf3+ 17. Nxf3 Rxe8 18. Rc7 Bc8 19. Ke2 Bg4 20. Rxb7 e5 21. dxe5 Bc5 22. Rc1 Bb6 23. a4 Bc8 24. Re7 Ba6+ 25. Kd2 Rxe7 26. Rc6 Bb7 27. Rc2 h6 28. b4 Rc7 29. Rb2 a5 30. b5 Kh7 31. Nd4 Bxd4 32. exd4 Rc4 33. Kd3 Rhc8 34. e6 Re8 35. Re2 Rxa4 36. e7 Ra3+ 37. Kd2 Ra2+ 0-1

MIRKO
03-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Nice win JAK ,i know it's early day's but i predict that those player's who warmed up playing at the Gold coast tournament will perform well!!And i will even predict that one of them will win the Aust Open.

mishahu
03-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Round 2 results and round 3 pairings now available @ https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/results-and-pairings/pairings

Oepty
03-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Upset wins by Alex Papp over Doug Hamilton and Alana Chibnall over John Papantoniou to go to 2/2. More upsets lower down as well
Scott

Watto
03-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Well done Alana. :) Keep it up!

Kevin Bonham
03-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Should be a good set of live games for those watching:

1 Zhao, Zong-Yuan NSW 2586 2579 [2] : Brown, Andrew ACT 2175 2168 [2]
2 Nakauchi, Gene QLD 2149 2036 [2] : Xie, George NSW 2478 2462 [2]
3 Solomon, Stephen J QLD 2408 2315 [2] : Morris, Michael NSW 2112 2091 [2]
4 Stead, Kerry VIC 2060 1923 [2] : Smirnov, Vladimir NSW 2382 2273 [2]

Think I'll be out most of the afternoon though so I'll catch up when I get back.

Basil
03-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Underpants Minor Camera is following Team Good Guys, which comprises:

John Alkin (1590)
Mark Stokes (1532)
Trent Parker (1506)
Elliott Renzies (1298)

Alkin played like a schoolboy and drew.
Stokes played a workmanlike round 1 and took the point.
Parker played like a girl and split the point (with apologies to girls - especially the ones that can crush me)

Round 2 Team Underpants Update:
Renzies is punished by a Queenslander for his round one indiscretion which was to sit and move pieces around while a Tromp self-destructed in front of him.
Stokesy got an onya leaving him 2 from 2.
As did Alkin, now 1.5/ 2
As did Parker.

My boyce did good. Carry on!

Kevin Bonham
03-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Renzies is punished by a Queenslander for his round one indiscretion which was to sit and move pieces around while a Tromp self-destructed in front of him.

I think JaK's bizarre king-handling, aka artificial castling without the rook, lulled his round 1 opponent into a true sense of security!

Alana
03-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Well done Alana. :) Keep it up!

Thanks Watto! :D

Adamski
04-01-2011, 12:01 AM
From the persective of someone who was present for almost the entire round 2, the most exciting games to watch were Junta Ikeda - Kevin Tan and David Webster - Blair Mandla. In the former Junta looked dead for all money, with a badly tied up King and inactive pieces, and his customary time trouble to boot. But he somehow wriggled out of all the pressure and won the ending. The second game featured a seies of attacks of a Rook by Blair and Rook moves by David, with David's R moving via g5 and g4 and ending up on f4, which seemed to give Blair much the better game. But David also fought back (after IMO Blair played too passively) and reached a drawn ending.

Some of the top seeds won convincingly, which made their games a bit less interesting to spectate. First winner to finish was young (still not yet 10) Anton, who quickly disposed of correspondence master Shane Dibley. Alana was also a piece up very early against John P.

All in all, a good round.

antichrist
04-01-2011, 01:12 AM

I think JaK's bizarre king-handling, aka artificial castling without the rook, lulled his round 1 opponent into a true sense of security!

AC
Should that read false sense of security?

The juniors call it manual castling, is it the same?

mishahu
04-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Round 2 games have now been added and can be viewed and downloaded @ https://sites.google.com/site/2011oz...ess/view-games

Adamski
04-01-2011, 10:47 AM

Renzies is punished by a Queenslander for his round one indiscretion which was to sit and move pieces around while a Tromp self-destructed in front of him....
AC it was Jak's opponent in Rd 1 who played Tromp. Jak won that game but lost his 2nd one.

Kevin Bonham
04-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Should that read false sense of security?

Not really. The opponent's position was genuinely more than secure from everything except his own unlucky blunder.

The juniors call it manual castling, is it the same?

Yes except that in this case JaK didn't even bother moving his rook! He just played Ke8-f7-g8 leaving his rook shut in on h8. A very long time later (when he was a piece up already from white's blunder) he played Kh7 and the rook belatedly emerged!

antichrist
04-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Not really. The opponent's position was genuinely more than secure from everything except his own unlucky blunder.

Yes except that in this case JaK didn't even bother moving his rook! He just played Ke8-f7-g8 leaving his rook shut in on h8. A very long time later (when he was a piece up already from white's blunder) he played Kh7 and the rook belatedly emerged!

Well Jak was certainly [lucky] to win that one - I don't think I have seen such king moves in competition.

Denis_Jessop
04-01-2011, 12:26 PM
From the persective of someone who was present for almost the entire round 2, the most exciting games to watch were Junta Ikeda - Kevin Tan and David Webster - Blair Mandla. In the former Junta looked dead for all money, with a badly tied up King and inactive pieces, and his customary time trouble to boot. But he somehow wriggled out of all the pressure and won the ending. The second game featured a seies of attacks of a Rook by Blair and Rook moves by David, with David's R moving via g5 and g4 and ending up on f4, which seemed to give Blair much the better game. But David also fought back (after IMO Blair played too passively) and reached a drawn ending.

Some of the top seeds won convincingly, which made their games a bit less interesting to spectate. First winner to finish was young (still not yet 10) Anton, who quickly disposed of correspondence master Shane Dibley. Alana was also a piece up very early against John P.

All in all, a good round.

As you say, Junta frequently gets into time trouble but he is very good at playing quickly. This was the way even when he played as a much younger junior at Canberra Chess Club years ago.

DJ

ER
04-01-2011, 03:52 PM
LOL still jetlagged after the flights from Cairns to Melbourne, two hours sleep then Sydney, having lost my 2011 diary with all 6 months hotel bookings and flight itineraries attached ... Who cares? :wall: :lol: Having fun with old friends though, partying till late (thank God tournament starts at 1 pm. I won today, Finley next to me won too! :clap: MCC sticks together! Off to Newcastle now, see ya next time! :)

Tony Dowden
04-01-2011, 06:24 PM
LOL still jetlagged after the flights from Cairns to Melbourne, two hours sleep then Sydney, having lost my 2011 diary with all 6 months hotel bookings and flight itineraries attached ... Who cares? :wall: :lol: Having fun with old friends though, partying till late (thank God tournament starts at 1 pm. I won today, Finley next to me won too! :clap: MCC sticks together! Off to Newcastle now, see ya next time! :)

Don't forget to adjust your watch back on hour for each return flight ;)

Oepty
04-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Results for Round 3 Open available at http://chess-results.com/tnr42508.aspx?art=2&rd=3&lan=1&m=-1&wi=1000

Anton Smirnov drew with Greg Canfell and Ian Rout drew with Irina Berezina.
Scott

Kevin Bonham
04-01-2011, 07:26 PM
And with just eight players left on 3 we have:

Illingworth - Zhao
Xie - Ly
Ikeda - Solomon
V Smirnov - Salaberry

as tomorrow's top board pairings

mishahu
04-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Round 3 results and round 4 pairings now available @ https://sites.google.com/site/2011oz...rings/pairings

mishahu
04-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Round 3 games have now been added and can be viewed and downloaded @ https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/view-games

Kevin Bonham
04-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Remarkably fast!

Link wasn't working but I fixed it.

Trent Parker
04-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Hey gunner! I tell you now.... the first round draw wasnt what I wanted.... my opponent found a perpetual check a piece down.....

Oepty
04-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Remarkably fast!

Link wasn't working but I fixed it.

Very fast indeed, well done.
Scott

Adamski
04-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Convincing wins today by the top seeds. Zhao's game was especially interesting. In a sharp Sicilian Sveshnikov line, Brown tried to conjure up good attacking chances but they floundered against the simple Qa4+ and Qa7 holding crucial square e3.

There was a big upset in the norths Classic, when Steven Liu lost to Matthew Carden, 500 or so points below him. Both are ex-Manly players who now play at Harbord Diggers and norths (and also Ryde-Eastwood in Steven's case). Matthew played very well fully utilising the d file which he controlled.

Kevin Bonham
05-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Illingworth-Zhao

What was at first suspected to be a relay error or a blunder by us innocents watching (8.0-0) proved to be an interesting idea in which white sacrificed first one pawn and then another for a massive positional clamp which the GM did not manage to break.

I couldn't find a game with 8.0-0 anywhere so it would be interesting to know where it came from or if Max found it himself.

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 a6 5.c4 Nf6 6.Nc3 Bb4 7.Bd3 Nc6 8.0-0 Nxd4 9.e5 Be7 10.exf6 Bxf6 11.Be3 Nc6 12.Ne4 0-0 13.c5 Bxb2 14.Rb1 Bd4 15.Bxd4 Nxd4 16.Nd6 Nb5 17.Bxb5 axb5 18.Rxb5 Rxa2 19.Qb3 Ra6 20.Rb6 Qg5 21.Qb4 Qd5 22.h3 Ra2 23.Qc3 f5 24.Re1 h6 25.Qe5 Qxe5 26.Rxe5 Ra5 27.f4 g5 28.fxg5 hxg5 29.g4 Ra1+ 30.Kh2 Ra2+ 31.Kg1 Ra1+ 32.Kh2 Draw

mishahu
05-01-2011, 05:20 PM
After a brief mention in his Monday column this week, Peter Parr, chess correspondent for the Sydney Morning Herald, writes on the Australian Open in a set of articles to be printed today and Friday this week; Monday, Wednesday and Friday next week; and a final report on Monday 17 January.

Peter has graciously allowed us to reprint them on the tournament website. To read the first report visit https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/results-and-pairings-1/peter-parr-reports.

ER
05-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Couldn't break through Laurie's defence so the Victorian derby ended in a draw!
Spanish Club in Liverpool Street as lovely as ever, hadn't been for a couple of years!
Max is half Melburnian too! :) :clap:
There was a false alarm during play today, it was fun!
See ya!
:)

mishahu
05-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Round 4 results and round 5 pairings now available @ https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/results-and-pairings/pairings

Oepty
05-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Anton Smirnov drew with Vladimir Feldman. Going very well.
Scott

Kevin Bonham
05-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Tomorrow's expected live board pairings:

V Smirnov (4) - Xie (4)
Zhao (3.5) - Ikeda (3.5)
Solomon (3.5) - Illingworth (3.5)
Canfell (3.5) - Brown (3)

I'll be out in the field most of the day so will probably miss following these.

Ly - Anton Smirnov is board five.

mishahu
05-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Round 4 games have now been added and can be viewed and downloaded @ https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/view-games

Kevin Bonham
05-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Xie - Ly. Looks like a strong positional win by white.

1. Nf3 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. b3 Bg7 4. Bb2 O-O 5. g3 b6 6. d4 Bb7 7. Bg2 c5 8. d5 d6 9. O-O Na6 10. Nfd2 Nc7 11. Qc2 Rb8 12. e4 e5 13. Nc3 a6 14. f4 exf4 15. gxf4 b5 16. Rae1 bxc4 17. bxc4 Nd7 18. Na4 Bxb2 19. Nxb2 Qe7 20. e5 dxe5 21. fxe5 Nxe5 22. Nd3 f6 23. Ne4 Ne8 24. Nexc5 Bc8 25. Qf2 Nd6 26. Nxe5 fxe5 27. Qxf8+ Qxf8 28. Rxf8+ Kxf8 29. Bf1 Rb2 30. Nd3 Rxa2 31. c5 Nf7 32. Nxe5 Rc2 33. d6 Nxe5 34. Rxe5 a5 35. Bb5 Kf7 36. c6 Bh3 37. Re3 Bf5 38. d7 1-0

Ikeda - Solomon

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 a6 4. Ba4 Nf6 5. O-O Be7 6. Re1 b5 7. Bb3 d6 8. c3 O-O 9. h3 Nb8 10. d4 Nbd7 11. Nbd2 Bb7 12. Bc2 Re8 13. a4 Bf8 14. b4 Nb6 15. axb5 axb5 16. Rxa8 Qxa8 17. dxe5 dxe5 18. Qe2 Bc6 19. Nb3 Nc4 20. Nfd2 Nd6 21. Na5 Bd7 22. Ndb3 Nb7 23. Nxb7 Qxb7 24. Qe3 Be6 25. Nc5 Bxc5 26. Qxc5 Nd7 27. Qe3 Nb6 28. Qg3 f6 29. Bh6 c6 30. Rd1 Na4 31. Rd6 Kf8 32. Bc1 Qc7 33. Rd1 Rd8 34. Kh2 Rxd1 35. Bxd1 Qd7 36. Bc2 g5 37. h4 h6 38. hxg5 hxg5 39. Qf3 Kg7 40. Qg3 Qf7 41. Qd3 Bc4 42. Qh3 Qe6 43. Qxe6 Bxe6 44. Bd2 Bc4 45. f3 Kf7 46. Kg3 Ke6 47. Kf2 Kd6 48. Ke3 Nb6 49. Kf2 Na4 50. Ke3 Ke6 51. Kf2 Ba2 52. Ke2 Kf7 53. Kf2 Kg6 54. Be1 c5 55. Bd2 Kf7 56. Ke2 Ke6 57. Be1 Bc4+ 58. Kf2 Nb2 59. Bd2 Bd3 60. Bc1 Bxc2 61. Bxb2 c4 62. g4 1/2-1/2

A Smirnov - V Feldman

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. f3 a6 6. c4 e6 7. Nc3 Be7 8. Be3 O-O 9. Be2 b6 10. O-O Bb7 11. Rc1 Nbd7 12. Qd2 Rc8 13. Rfd1 Qc7 14. Bf1 Qb8 15. Qf2 Bd8 16. Kh1 Bc7 17. Qg1 Rfe8 18. b4 Ne5 19. Nb3 Nfd7 20. Na4 Bc6 21. Nb2 Bb7 22. Nd3 Bc6 23. Nb2 Bb7 24. Na4 Bc6 {And White claimed a threefold repetition with the move} 25. Nb2 1/2-1/2

Oh and here's the much-discussed round 1 unusual pairing:

Feldman - Berezina

1. Nf3 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. d4 Bg7 4. Nc3 d5 5. Bg5 Ne4 6. Bh4 Nxc3 7. bxc3 c5 8. cxd5 Qxd5 9. e3 Nc6 10. Be2 cxd4 11. cxd4 e5 12. dxe5 Qa5+ 13. Qd2 Qxd2+ 14. Kxd2 Nxe5 15. Nxe5 Bxe5 16. Rab1 b6 17. f4 Bg7 18. Bf3 Rb8 19. e4 Bb7 20. Ke3 O-O 21. Rhd1 Rfe8 22. e5 f6 23. Rd7 Bxf3 24. Kxf3 fxe5 25. Rxa7 exf4 26. Rd1 Ra8 27. Rxa8 Rxa8 28. Rd8+ Rxd8 29. Bxd8 b5 30. Kxf4 Kf7 31. Ke4 Ke6 32. h3 Kd6 33. g4 Kc5 34. Bg5 Kc4 35. Bd2 b4 1/2-1/2

soupman_2
05-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Event: Australian Open
Site: NSLCC, Cammeray, NSW
Date: 2011.01.05
White: Illingworth, Max
Black: Zhao, Zong Yuan
WhiteElo: 2311
BlackElo: 2586
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 a6 5. c4 Nf6 6. Nc3 Bb4 7. Bd3 Nc6 8. O-O
Nxd4 9. e5 Be7 10. exf6 Bxf6 11. Be3 Nc6 12. Ne4 O-O 13. c5 Bxb2 14. Rb1 Bd4
15. Bxd4 Nxd4 16. Nd6 Nb5 17. Bxb5 axb5 18. Rxb5 Rxa2 19. Qb3 Ra6 20. Rb6 Qg5
21. Qb4 Qd5 22. h3 Ra2 23. Qc3 f5 24. Re1 h6 25. Qe5 Qxe5 26. Rxe5 Ra5 27. f4
g5 28. fxg5 hxg5 29. g4 Ra1+ 30. Kh2 Ra2+ 31. Kg1 Ra1+ 32. Kh2 1/2-1/2

Max has an interesting possible move 25. Ne8 threatening either 26. Qxg7 mate or 26. Rd6 trapping the queen

Adamski
06-01-2011, 05:31 PM
I witnessed sonething today I have never personally seen b4. A GM lose on time in a better position. It had been Junta who seemwd in the worse time trouble. But Yuan with 6 seconds left hesitated too long.

mishahu
06-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Round 5 results and round 6 pairings now available @ https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/results-and-pairings/pairings

Adamski
06-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Open table is missing Solo.

mishahu
06-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Pairing
3 Feldman, Vladimir NSW 2262 2181 [4] : Solomon, Stephen J QLD 2408 2315 [4]

Result
3 Solomon, Stephen J QLD 2408 2315 [3.5] .5:.5 Illingworth, Max NSW 2311 2284 [3.5]

Crosstable
5 Solomon, Stephen J QLD 2408 2315 4 53:W 48:W 15:W 3:D 6:D

Please explain the problem.

Adamski
06-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Pairing
3 Feldman, Vladimir NSW 2262 2181 [4] : Solomon, Stephen J QLD 2408 2315 [4]

Result
3 Solomon, Stephen J QLD 2408 2315 [3.5] .5:.5 Illingworth, Max NSW 2311 2284 [3.5]

Crosstable
5 Solomon, Stephen J QLD 2408 2315 4 53:W 48:W 15:W 3:D 6:D

Please explain the problem.
Apologies, mishahu. No problem. Just my bad. I can't read full web pages on my mobile phone!
BTW you are doing a terrific job. Everyone appreciates the timely updating of the web site.:clap:

Kevin Bonham
06-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Looks like tomorrow's menu is

Xie (4.5) - Canfell (4.5)
Ikeda (4.5) - V Smirnov (4.5)
V Feldman (4) - Solomon (4)
Illingworth (4) - Ly (4)

mishahu
06-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Round 5 games have now been added and can be viewed and downloaded @ https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/view-games

Sutek
06-01-2011, 09:22 PM
News reports on the championship at..

SMH (http://www.chessdiscountsales.com/news/newsindex.htm)

Kevin Bonham
06-01-2011, 09:26 PM
This showy game appeared in one of the SMH reports:

Shane Dibley - Oscar Wang.

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 Nc6 6. a3 Be7 7. Nxc6 bxc6 8. e5 Nd5 9. Qg4 Kf8 10. Ne4 h5 11. Qg3 Bh4 12. Qf3 g6 13. Bd3 Kg7 14. Nd6 Qf8 15. g4 Be7 16. c4 Nc7 17. gxh5 Rxh5 18. Qxh5!! gxh5 19. Rg1+ Kh8 20. Bh6! Bxd6 21. Bxf8 Bxf8 22. Rg5 Bc5 23. Ke2 Be7 24. Rxh5+ Kg7 25. Rg1+ Bg5 26. Rhxg5+ Kf8 27. Rg8+ Ke7 28. h4 Rb8 29. b4 a5 30. h5 axb4 31. axb4 1-0

Kevin Bonham
06-01-2011, 09:43 PM
A few top board round 5 games:

V Smirnov - Xie

1. d4 d5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. c4 c6 4. Nc3 g6 5. cxd5 cxd5 6. Bf4 Bg7 7. e3 O-O 8. h3 Nc6 9. Bd3 Qb6 10. a3 Na5 11. b4 Nc4 12. Qb3 Be6 13. O-O Rfc8 14. Na4 Qc6 15. b5 Qe8 16. Nc5 Rxc5 17. dxc5 Nd7 18. Bxc4 dxc4 19. Qb4 Bxa1 20. Rxa1 Rc8 21. c6 bxc6 22. bxc6 Nb6 23. c7 Bd5 24. Qc5 f6 25. a4 Bxf3 26. gxf3 e5 27. a5 Nd7 28. Qxc4+ Qf7 29. Qxf7+ Kxf7 30. Bg3 Rxc7 31. f4 Rc5 32. fxe5 fxe5 33. a6 Ke6 34. e4 Nb8 35. f3 Nc6 36. Bf2 Rc3 37. Kg2 g5 38. h4 gxh4 39. Bxh4 h5 40. Bf2 Rc2 41. Rh1 Ra2 42. Rxh5 Rxa6 43. Rh6+ Kd7 44. Rh7+ Ne7 45. Bc5 Re6 46. Bxa7 Rg6+ 47. Kf2 Rc6 48. Bb8 Re6 49. Ba7 Kd6 50. Rh1 Ng6 51. Rd1+ Ke7 52. Be3 Ra6 53. Bg5+ Ke6 54. Rd2 Ra8 55. Rb2 Ra6 56. Rb7 Ra2+ 57. Kg3 Ra1 58. Rb6+ Kf7 59. Rf6+ Kg7 60. Rf5 Ra6 61. Kg4 Re6 62. Kh5 Nh8 63. Bc1 Nf7 64. Bb2 Kg8 65. Kh4 Rh6+ 66. Kg3 Rg6+ 67. Kf2 Re6 68. Rh5 Kf8 69. Bc1 Kg7 70. Be3 Kg6 71. Rh1 Ra6 72. Rg1+ Kf6 73. Rb1 Rc6 74. Kg3 Ra6 75. Kg4 Rc6 76. Rb6 Rxb6 77. Bxb6 Ke6 78. Kh5 Nd6 79. Bc7 Nb5 80. Bb6 Nc3 81. Kg4 Ne2 82. Be3 Nc3 83. Kg3 Ne2+ 84. Kf2 Nc3 85. Ke1 Nb5 86. Bc5 Nc7 87. Kd2 Ne8 88. Be3 Nf6 89. Bg5 Nd7 90. Kc3 Kd6 91. Kc4 Nb6+ 92. Kb5 Nd7 93. Bc1 Nf6 94. Ba3+ Ke6 95. Kc6 Nh5 96. Kc5 Ng3 97. Kc4 Ne2 98. Kd3 Nd4 99. f4 Nf5 100. fxe5 Kxe5 101. Bb2+ Ke6 102. exf5+ Kxf5 1/2-1/2

Zhao - Ikeda

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 a6 5. Nc3 Qc7 6. Bd3 Nf6 7. O-O Bc5 8. Nb3 Be7 9. a4 O-O 10. a5 d6 11. Be3 Nbd7 12. f4 g6 13. Qe2 Re8 14. Na4 Bf8 15. c4 Nh5 16. Nb6 Nxb6 17. Bxb6 Qe7 18. e5 Bh6 19. g3 f6 20. exd6 Qxd6 21. Rad1 Qe7 22. Be4 Ng7 23. Nc5 Rb8 24. b4 g5 25. Rd3 Kh8 26. Kh1 Qf7 27. fxg5 Bxg5 28. Bg2 e5 29. Ne4 Bf5 30. Nxg5 fxg5 31. Rd5 Qe7 32. Bc5 Qe6 33. Rd6 Qc8 34. Rf6 Qd7 35. Bd5 Bg6 36. Qe3 Nh5 37. Rd6 Qg4 38. Qf3 Qh3 {White lost on time while playing} 39. Qg2 0-1

Canfell - Brown

1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 Nc6 3. Nge2 e5 4. Nd5 d6 5. Nec3 a6 6. g3 g6 7. Bg2 Bg7 8. d3 h6 9. O-O Nge7 10. f4 f5 11. exf5 Nxf5 12. g4 Nh4 13. f5 O-O 14. fxg6 Nxg2 15. Kxg2 Be6 16. Rxf8+ Bxf8 17. g5 Ne7 18. Nxe7+ Bxe7 19. gxh6 Qd7 20. Qh5 Bg4 21. h7+ Kh8 22. Qh6 Bf8 23. Qh4 Be7 24. Bg5 Bxg5 25. Qxg5 Qf5 26. Qxf5 Bxf5 27. Rf1 Bxg6 28. Rf6 Kxh7 29. Rxd6 c4 30. Rd7+ Kh6 31. dxc4 b5 32. cxb5 axb5 33. Rb7 Bxc2 34. Rxb5 Re8 35. Kf3 Kg5 36. Ne4+ Kh4 37. Rc5 Bd1+ 38. Ke3 Rb8 39. Nf2 Bh5 40. Nd3 e4 41. Kxe4 Bg6+ 42. Ke3 Bxd3 43. Kxd3 Rxb2 44. Rc2 Rb8 45. a4 Rd8+ 46. Ke4 Kg5 47. Ra2 Kf6 48. a5 1-0

that Caesar guy
06-01-2011, 09:46 PM
This showy game appeared in one of the SMH reports:

Shane Dibley - Oscar Wang.

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 Nc6 6. a3 Be7 7. Nxc6 bxc6 8. e5 Nd5 9. Qg4 Kf8 10. Ne4 h5 11. Qg3 Bh4 12. Qf3 g6 13. Bd3 Kg7 14. Nd6 Qf8 15. g4 Be7 16. c4 Nc7 17. gxh5 Rxh5 18. Qxh5!! gxh5 19. Rg1+ Kh8 20. Bh6! Bxd6 21. Bxf8 Bxf8 22. Rg5 Bc5 23. Ke2 Be7 24. Rxh5+ Kg7 25. Rg1+ Bg5 26. Rhxg5+ Kf8 27. Rg8+ Ke7 28. h4 Rb8 29. b4 a5 30. h5 axb4 31. axb4 1-0
What's Dibley's rating? Because that is a very nice combination, would have caught me by surprise if I was Black :clap: :clap: :clap:

Kevin Bonham
06-01-2011, 09:53 PM
What's Dibley's rating? Because that is a very nice combination, would have caught me by surprise if I was Black :clap: :clap: :clap:

It's hard to believe Shane's OTB ratings are a mere 1571 FIDE / 1389 ACF. But he is a correspondence IM.

Bill Gletsos
06-01-2011, 10:07 PM
What's Dibley's rating? Because that is a very nice combination, would have caught me by surprise if I was Black :clap: :clap: :clap:22...Bg7 followed by Ne8 might hold for Black.

Sutek
07-01-2011, 07:50 AM
News reports updated..

SMH (http://www.chessdiscountsales.com/news/newsindex.htm)

Leonid Sandler
07-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Thank you Peter for an excellent , very regular and informative reports on Australian Open 2011. Fantastic chess promotion in the main newspaper!

Tony Dowden
07-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Zhao - Ikeda

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 a6 5. Nc3 Qc7 6. Bd3 Nf6 7. O-O Bc5 8. Nb3 Be7 9. a4 O-O 10. a5 d6 11. Be3 Nbd7 12. f4 g6 13. Qe2 Re8 14. Na4 Bf8 15. c4 Nh5 16. Nb6 Nxb6 17. Bxb6 Qe7 18. e5 Bh6 19. g3 f6 20. exd6 Qxd6 21. Rad1 Qe7 22. Be4 Ng7 23. Nc5 Rb8 24. b4 g5 25. Rd3 Kh8 26. Kh1 Qf7 27. fxg5 Bxg5 28. Bg2 e5 29. Ne4 Bf5 30. Nxg5 fxg5 31. Rd5 Qe7 32. Bc5 Qe6 33. Rd6 Qc8 34. Rf6 Qd7 35. Bd5 Bg6 36. Qe3 Nh5 37. Rd6 Qg4 38. Qf3 Qh3 {White lost on time while playing} 39. Qg2 0-1

1-0[/pgn]

I wonder if Zhao only noticed the shot 39...Nxg3+ (typical Ikeda!) after he had touched his Q which led to fatal hesitation. It seems to me that 39.Kg1 was the right move.

Adamski
07-01-2011, 10:40 AM
I think so, Tony. He had indeed touched his Q, was going to move it to g2, started moving it in that direction then pulled it back. Next thing he knew Junta was pointing at his clock and claimed the win. Zhao's face was crestfallen. You can see from the game just how much he had been on top.

Tony Dowden
07-01-2011, 03:37 PM
I think so, Tony. He had indeed touched his Q, was going to move it to g2, started moving it in that direction then pulled it back. Next thing he knew Junta was pointing at his clock and claimed the win. Zhao's face was crestfallen. You can see from the game just how much he had been on top.
Thanks for confirming my theory Jonathan :)

mishahu
07-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Round 6 results & round 7 pairing now available @ https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/results-and-pairings-1/pairings

Watto
07-01-2011, 06:37 PM
An awful way to lose. I'd love to see him get back into the tournament and win it...

Kevin Bonham
07-01-2011, 07:15 PM
OK, so Ikeda and Illingworth won their live games while Xie-Canfell was a draw.

Rest day and then the live games should be:

Canfell (5) - Ikeda (5.5)
Solomon (5) - Xie (5)
V Smirnov (4.5) - Illingworth (5)
M Morris (4.5) - Zhao (4.5)

Junta Ikeda is outright leader after 6 rounds!

mikesguns
07-01-2011, 07:34 PM
I think Ari Dale deserves a round of applause for beating David Garner in round 1 and beating Anton Smirnov last round. He has had other great results as well. He is performing over 300 points above his rating.
:clap:

black
07-01-2011, 07:35 PM
I like the idea of Junta Ikeda as champion. Big fan.

Oepty
07-01-2011, 08:39 PM
I think Ari Dale deserves a round of applause for beating David Garner in round 1 and beating Anton Smirnov last round. He has had other great results as well. He is performing over 300 points above his rating.

Wholeheartedly agree with this. Anton has had a very good tournament himself. Well done Ari
Scott

NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK
07-01-2011, 09:37 PM

Ari Dale has the potential to be the new James Morris and to emulate or exceed James' achievements.

In my opinion, comparing Ari to James at ~10-12 years of age, their styles of play are quite similar, with great tactical awareness and dynamic style being strong points.

With Nick Speck coaching him and hopefully broadening his positional understanding, opening and endgame play, the only thing that would hold Ari back would be complacency and laziness that may develop as his rating improves.

mishahu
07-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Round 6 games added to the collection and now available @ https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/view-games

Kevin Bonham
07-01-2011, 11:09 PM
V Feldman - Solomon

We had all sorts of ideas about what was going on in the shoutbox. The reality was that white was OK right up until the decisive error 32.Be4?? (32.Bb5 holds).

1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 c6 4.Nbd2 Nf6 5.g3 c5 6.cxd5 exd5 7.Bg2 Nc6 8.dxc5 Bxc5 9.0-0 0-0 10.Nb3 Bb6 11.Nbd4 Ne4 12.Bf4 Re8 13.Nxc6 bxc6 14.Qa4 Nxf2 15.Rxf2 Rxe2 16.Raf1 Qf6 17.Be5 Rxe5 18.Nxe5 Qxe5 19.Qxc6 Rb8 20.Qxd5 Qe7 21.Qe4 Qxe4 22.Bxe4 Bh3 23.Bg2 Be6 24.b3 Rd8 25.Be4 Rd4 26.Bc6 h5 27.Kg2 h4 28.gxh4 Rxh4 29.Rf4 Rh6 30.h4 Rg6+ 31.Kf3 Bh3 32.Be4 Bg2+ 33.Ke2 Re6 34.Kd3 Rxe4 35.Rxe4 Bxf1+ 36.Kc3 f5 37.Re7 f4 38.b4 f3 39.a4 f2 40.a5 Bb5 41.axb6 axb6 0-1

Xie - Canfell. In the end a good hold from Greg (queen ending two pawns down but George's king can't find safety) who was very short of time for much of the game.

1.Nf3 c5 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.a3 Nc6 5.e3 Nf6 6.d4 cxd4 7.exd4 d5 8.c5 0-0 9.h3 Ne4 10.Be3 e5 11.Nxe4 dxe4 12.Nxe5 Nxe5 13.dxe5 Bxe5 14.Qc2 Be6 15.Be2 Qh4 16.Rb1 Rac8 17.Bc4 Rfe8 18.b4 b6 19.Bxe6 Rxe6 20.0-0 Bf4 21.Qa4 Bxe3 22.fxe3 Qe7 23.Rbd1 Rec6 24.cxb6 axb6 25.Qb5 Rd6 26.a4 Rcd8 27.Rxd6 Rxd6 28.a5 bxa5 29.bxa5 Rd3 30.Qb8+ Kg7 31.Qb2+ Kg8 32.Rc1 Rd8 33.Qb6 Rd2 34.Qb8+ Kg7 35.Qb3 Qe5 36.Qa3 Kh6 37.Qf8+ Kh5 38.Qxf7 Rxg2+ 39.Kxg2 Qb2+ 40.Kg3 Qxc1 41.Qxh7+ Kg5 42.Qh4+ Kf5 43.Qf4+ Ke6 44.Qxe4+ Kf6 45.Qf3+ Kg7 46.a6 Qg1+ 47.Kh4 Qe1+ 48.Qg3 Qa5 49.Qd6 Qe1+ 50.Kg4 Qe2+ 51.Kh4 Qf2+ 52.Qg3 Qf6+ 53.Qg5 Qf2+ 54.Kg4 Qg2+ 55.Kf4 Qf1+ 56.Kg3 Qg1+ 57.Kf4 Qf1+ 58.Kg3 Qg1+ 59.Kf4 draw

Illingworth-Ly. Black drops a pawn with 20...Bxe4 instead of ...hxg6 (though white may have had attacking possibilities against the latter). Black is then in trouble for a long time but come the ending he has just about saved it until an decisive inaccuracy - 79...Kd6? loses makes it harder for black because c5 is check. With the king on another square, 80.Kc2 a2 81.Kb2 Na5 threatening the c-pawn and the fork on the bishop draws. [EDIT: Final position is still drawn - see below.]

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 6.Be3 e6 7.Qd2 b5 8.f3 Nbd7 9.g4 Nb6 10.0-0-0 Bb7 11.Bd3 Nfd7 12.Kb1 Rc8 13.g5 Ne5 14.Qe1 Be7 15.h4 Nec4 16.Bc1 d5 17.exd5 Nxd5 18.Nxd5 Bxd5 19.Be4 0-0 20.g6 Bxe4 21.gxf7+ Rxf7 22.Qxe4 Qd5 23.Nxe6 Qxe4 24.fxe4 Rc6 25.Nd4 Rc8 26.Nf5 Bf8 27.Rhg1 Rfc7 28.Bf4 Ra7 29.h5 Kf7 30.Rgf1 Ke8 31.c3 g6 32.hxg6 hxg6 33.Nd6+ Bxd6 34.Bxd6 Rf7 35.Rh1 Rc6 36.Rh8+ Kd7 37.Bc5+ Kc7 38.Ra8 Rf4 39.Ra7+ Kb8 40.Rd8+ Rc8 41.Rxc8+ Kxc8 42.Rxa6 Rxe4 43.b3 Ne5 44.Re6 g5 45.Bd4 Nf3 46.Rxe4 Nd2+ 47.Kc2 Nxe4 48.Kd3 Nd6 49.Be3 Nf7 50.Ke4 Kb7 51.Kd5 g4 52.Ke6 Nd8+ 53.Kf5 g3 54.Kg4 g2 55.Kf3 Kc6 56.Kxg2 Kd5 57.Kf3 Nc6 58.Bd2 Ne5+ 59.Kf4 Nd3+ 60.Ke3 Nc5 61.Bc1 Ne4 62.Bb2 Nd6 63.Ba3 Nf7 64.Bf8 Ne5 65.Bg7 Nf7 66.Kd3 Nd6 67.Kc2 Nf5 68.Bf6 Ke6 69.Bh8 Kd5 70.Kb2 Ne7 71.Kc2 Nc8 72.Kd3 Nd6 73.Bg7 Nb7 74.Bd4 Nd6 75.Be3 Nb7 76.a4 bxa4 77.c4+ Kc6 78.b4 a3 79.b5+ Kd6? 80.Kc2 Na5 81.c5+ Kd5 82.Kb1 Nb7 83.c6 Nd6 84.c7 Nc8 85.b6 Kc6 86.Bc5 1-0

Peter Abbott
08-01-2011, 07:53 AM
Reminder! Australian Lightning is on at 2pm today.

Kerry Stead
08-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Illingworth-Ly. Black drops a pawn with 20...Bxe4 instead of ...hxg6 (though white may have had attacking possibilities against the latter). Black is then in trouble for a long time but come the ending he has just about saved it until a decisive inaccuracy - 79...Kd6? loses because c5 is check. With the king on another square, 80.Kc2 a2 81.Kb2 Na5 threatening the c-pawn and the fork on the bishop draws.

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 6.Be3 e6 7.Qd2 b5 8.f3 Nbd7 9.g4 Nb6 10.0-0-0 Bb7 11.Bd3 Nfd7 12.Kb1 Rc8 13.g5 Ne5 14.Qe1 Be7 15.h4 Nec4 16.Bc1 d5 17.exd5 Nxd5 18.Nxd5 Bxd5 19.Be4 0-0 20.g6 Bxe4 21.gxf7+ Rxf7 22.Qxe4 Qd5 23.Nxe6 Qxe4 24.fxe4 Rc6 25.Nd4 Rc8 26.Nf5 Bf8 27.Rhg1 Rfc7 28.Bf4 Ra7 29.h5 Kf7 30.Rgf1 Ke8 31.c3 g6 32.hxg6 hxg6 33.Nd6+ Bxd6 34.Bxd6 Rf7 35.Rh1 Rc6 36.Rh8+ Kd7 37.Bc5+ Kc7 38.Ra8 Rf4 39.Ra7+ Kb8 40.Rd8+ Rc8 41.Rxc8+ Kxc8 42.Rxa6 Rxe4 43.b3 Ne5 44.Re6 g5 45.Bd4 Nf3 46.Rxe4 Nd2+ 47.Kc2 Nxe4 48.Kd3 Nd6 49.Be3 Nf7 50.Ke4 Kb7 51.Kd5 g4 52.Ke6 Nd8+ 53.Kf5 g3 54.Kg4 g2 55.Kf3 Kc6 56.Kxg2 Kd5 57.Kf3 Nc6 58.Bd2 Ne5+ 59.Kf4 Nd3+ 60.Ke3 Nc5 61.Bc1 Ne4 62.Bb2 Nd6 63.Ba3 Nf7 64.Bf8 Ne5 65.Bg7 Nf7 66.Kd3 Nd6 67.Kc2 Nf5 68.Bf6 Ke6 69.Bh8 Kd5 70.Kb2 Ne7 71.Kc2 Nc8 72.Kd3 Nd6 73.Bg7 Nb7 74.Bd4 Nd6 75.Be3 Nb7 76.a4 bxa4 77.c4+ Kc6 78.b4 a3 79.b5+ Kd6? 80.Kc2 Na5 81.c5+ Kd5 82.Kb1 Nb7 83.c6 Nd6 84.c7 Nc8 85.b6 Kc6 86.Bc5 1-0
Of course the final position is a draw & Moulthun resigned as he didn't see the drawing idea.
Black can play Kb7-a8 & just shuffle the king between a8 & b7. If the white king gets too close (a6, c6, etc) then black has Nxb6 & it can't be recaptured due to the stalemate idea ... and he can return to the Ka8-b7 shuffle ...

mikesguns
08-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Of course the final position is a draw & Moulthun resigned as he didn't see the drawing idea.
Black can play Kb7-a8 & just shuffle the king between a8 & b7. If the white king gets too close (a6, c6, etc) then black has Nxb6 & it can't be recaptured due to the stalemate idea ... and he can return to the Ka8-b7 shuffle ...
I dont think it is a draw the king can come to d7 to attack the knight and it is just won for white
EDIT: My mistake it is a draw
Well picked up by Kerry

Max Illingworth
08-01-2011, 08:42 AM
It isnt a draw the king can come to d7 to attack the knight and it is just won for white

Kd7 Ka8!! is a draw.

Kevin Bonham
08-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Kerry's correct - remove the black pawn (which will have to happen for white to make progress) and it's a draw; I've verified it by tablebase. 79...Kd6? doesn't actually lose (it just misses a quicker draw) and the losing move was in fact 86....Resigns.

Tony Dowden
08-01-2011, 02:11 PM

I think White was winning relatively easily until 79.b5 which seems unnecessary.

Peter Abbott
08-01-2011, 05:57 PM
There were 80 entrants in the Lightning this afternoon. I'm sure that a cross-table will be published in due course, but the tournament was won by Moulthun Ly with 10/11, picking up $500 in the process. He edged out Max Illingworth who was second and George Xie 3rd. There was a three way tie for 4th with Stanislav Berezovski, Jonny Bolens and Blair Mandla, if my memory is correct.

It was also good to see a number of fairly inactive players coming out of the woodwork and making a return.

Kerry Stead
09-01-2011, 02:36 AM
I dont think it is a draw the king can come to d7 to attack the knight and it is just won for white
EDIT: My mistake it is a draw
Well picked up by Kerry
I can't take credit for the idea.
Apparently Solo pointed it out to Moulthun shortly after he resigned.

Adamski
09-01-2011, 07:10 AM
There were 80 entrants in the Lightning this afternoon. I'm sure that a cross-table will be published in due course, but the tournament was won by Moulthun Ly with 10/11, picking up $500 in the process. He edged out Max Illingworth who was second and George Xie 3rd. There was a three way tie for 4th with Stanislav Berezovski, Jonny Bolens and Blair Mandla, if my memory is correct.

It was also good to see a number of fairly inactive players coming out of the woodwork and making a return.
Congratulations to Moulthun, Max and George. Also to the organisers - 80 players is an excellent turnout.:clap:

Peter Abbott
09-01-2011, 08:59 AM
The Norths Classic ended yesterday and results were:

1st, Sarwat Rewais 6.5/7
2nd. David Lovejoy 6/7
3rd equal. Dawen Shi, Stephen Garner, Jerry Xu and Jonathan Ren, 4.5/7

Also, to complete the lightning prizewinners, rating prize winners were:
U1800. John Redgrave
U1600 Mat-Arif Zulkifi
U1400 Eric Shi

mishahu
09-01-2011, 10:58 AM
norths Classic final round has been added to the collection and availabe @ https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/view-games

Final results and crosstables coming soon.

mishahu
09-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Updated on the tournament website:

- Open and Minor round 8 pairings
- norths classic final results
- Open and Minor round 7 results
- Lightning resuts
- Games collections for Open, <inor and classic rounds 1-7

https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/home

Watto
09-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Yes, I noticed he was doing really well. Great to see. :clap:
And today's result:
10 Dale, Ari VIC 1848 1621 [4] .5:.5 Berezina-Feldman, Irina NSW 2238 2047 [4]

Metro
09-01-2011, 07:36 PM
1 Solomon, Stephen J QLD 2408 2315 [5.5] : Canfell, Gregory J NSW 2297 2229 [6]
2 Xie, George NSW 2478 2462 [5.5] : Zhao, Zong-Yuan NSW 2586 2579 [5.5]
3 Nakauchi, Gene QLD 2149 2036 [5.5] : Smirnov, Vladimir NSW 2382 2273 [5.5]
4 Ikeda, Junta ACT 2262 2238 [5.5] : Ly, Moulthun QLD 2321 2288 [5]

Kevin Bonham
09-01-2011, 08:19 PM
- Games collections for Open, <inor and classic rounds 1-7

When I tried to load them the Open games only went to end of round 6; the other two loaded to end of round 7.

Kevin Bonham
09-01-2011, 08:50 PM
When I tried to load them the Open games only went to end of round 6; the other two loaded to end of round 7.

Ignore this - just an issue with my PGN program only showing 250 games on the first page; they are all there now. Others may have the same problem.

Kevin Bonham
09-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Canfell - Ikeda. Courage rewarded - very long-term pawn sacrifice 10.e5 pays dividends as black eventually makes mistakes (29...Kf6? 30.f4! was the beginning of a long way down.) And the Open has another new leader!

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 a6 5. Nc3 Qc7 6. Bd3 Nf6 7. f4 d6 8. O-O b5 9. Kh1 Nbd7 10. e5 dxe5 11. fxe5 Qxe5 12. Nf5 Bb7 13. Bf4 Qc5 14. Qe2 g6 15. Ng3 Be7 16. a4 b4 17. Nce4 Nxe4 18. Bxe4 Bxe4 19. Nxe4 Qc6 20. Qf3 Rc8 21. Rad1 f5 22. Nd6+ Bxd6 23. Bxd6 Qxf3 24. gxf3 Rxc2 25. Bxb4 Nf6 26. Rd6 Nd5 27. Rxa6 Kf7 28. Bd6 Rhc8 29. Ra7+ Kf6 30. f4 e5 31. Bxe5+ Ke6 32. Rxh7 Ne3 33. Rg1 g5 34. Rh6+ Kd5 35. Rd6+ Ke4 36. Rd4+ Kf3 37. fxg5 Ng4 38. Rf4+ Ke3 39. Rg3+ Ke2 40. Rg2+ Kd3 41. Bc3 Rc1+ 42. Rg1 Rc2 43. Rfxg4 fxg4 44. g6 Rc5 45. Rg3+ Ke4 46. Rxg4+ Kf3 47. Rg3+ Kf4 48. g7 Rh5 49. g8=Q 1-0

Solomon - Xie

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.e3 0-0 5.Bd3 d5 6.Nf3 c5 7.0-0 dxc4 8.Bxc4 Nbd7 9.a3 Ba5 10.Bd2 Qe7 11.dxc5 Qxc5 12.Ba2 Qh5 13.Rc1 Rd8 14.Nd4 Ne5 15.Ne4 Qxd1 16.Rfxd1 Bb6 17.Nxf6+ gxf6 18.Bc3 Bd7 19.Nf3 Nxf3+ 20.gxf3 e5 21.Bd5 Ba4 This is quite a reasonable decision by black as his position was inferior otherwise anyway 22.b3 Rxd5 23.Rxd5 Bxb3 24.Rd6 Be6 25.Bb4 h5 26.Kf1 Kh7 27.a4 Bd8 28.a5 b6 [28...Bh3+ 29.Ke2 Be7 30.Rd4 exd4 31.Bxe7 dxe3=] 29.Rxe6 fxe6 30.a6 b5 31.Rc6 Kg6 32.Bc5 Ba5 33.Rxe6 b4 34.Re7 Rc8 35.Bxa7 Rc6 36.Rb7 Rxa6 37.Bc5 Rc6 38.Bf8 [38.Rb5 Bc7 39.Bxb4 is better for white but not likely to end in a win] 38...Rc8 39.Bxb4 This loses the exchange but in the end white has little trouble drawing so it doesn't change the result. 39...Rc1+ 40.Kg2 Rb1 41.Bxa5 Rxb7 42.e4 Rb2 43.Bc3 Rc2 44.Ba5 f5 45.exf5+ Kxf5 46.Bb6 Rc6 47.Be3 Rf6 48.Kg3 Ke6 49.Bd2 Rg6+ 50.Kh3 Kd5 51.Be3 Rf6 52.Kg3 Kc4 53.Bg5 Rf7 54.f4 e4 55.Kh4 Kd3 56.Kxh5 Ke2 57.Kg6 Rf8 58.h4 Kxf2 59.f5 Kg3 60.Be7 Rg8+ 61.Kf7 Rc8 62.Bg5 Kg4 63.Kg6 Rg8+ 64.Kf7 Ra8 65.Kg6 Rg8+ 66.Kf7 Rxg5 67.hxg5 Kxg5 68.f6 e3 69.Kg7 e2 70.f7 e1=Q 71.f8=Q Qe5+ 72.Kh7 Qc7+ 73.Qg7+ Qxg7+ 74.Kxg7 draw

V Smirnov - Illingworth. Another epic but this time the player with the extra pawn hung onto it. Perhaps in the knight ending 58...g6 followed by ...Nd3 with the idea of taking the c-pawn with the knight (or taking it for no tempo cost if it moves) might have enabled black to stay just one pawn down with better drawing chances (possibly still lost anyway). The KNPP v KN is nicely played by white; you have to be careful to watch out for knight sacs for draws in these positions.

1.d4 d6 2.Nf3 Bg4 3.e4 Nf6 4.h3 Bh5 5.Bd3 e6 6.Nbd2 Be7 7.Nf1 d5 8.Ng3 Bg6 9.Qe2 dxe4 10.Nxe4 Nbd7 11.0-0 0-0 12.Rd1 c5 13.Nxc5 Nxc5 14.dxc5 Qc7 15.Ne5 Rfd8 16.b4 a5 17.Bf4 Bxd3 18.Nxd3 Qc6 19.a3 Nd5 20.Be5 Bf6 21.Qf3 Bxe5 22.Nxe5 Qc7 23.Nd3 e5 24.Re1 f6 25.Qg4 Qf7 26.Qc4 Nc7 27.Qe4 Ne6 28.c3 Ng5 29.Qe3 Qd5 30.Rad1 Qb3 31.Qc1 Rd5 32.f4 Ne6 33.fxe5 Rad8 34.Nf2 fxe5 35.Rxd5 Qxd5 36.Qe3 Nf4 37.Qe4 Qa2 38.Qxe5 Rf8 39.Qe4 h6 40.g3 Nd5 41.Qe2 Nxc3 42.Qxa2+ Nxa2 43.Re2 Nc3 44.Re7 axb4 45.axb4 Rf7 46.Re5 Rd7 47.Ne4 Nb5 48.Re6 Nc7 49.Rd6 Re7 50.Rd8+ Kh7 51.Nd6 Na6 52.Re8 Rxe8 53.Nxe8 Nxb4 54.Nd6 Kg6 55.Nxb7 Kf5 56.Kg2 Ke4 57.Nd6+ Kd5 58.Nf5 Kxc5 59.Nxg7 Kd5 60.Nf5 h5 61.h4 Ke4 62.Ng7 Nd5 63.Nxh5 Ne3+ 64.Kf2 Ng4+ 65.Ke2 Nh6 66.Ng7 Ng4 67.Ne8 Nh6 68.Nd6+ Kd5 69.Nb5 Ke4 70.Nc3+ Kf5 71.Nd1 Nf7 72.Nf2 Ne5 73.Ke3 Nc4+ 74.Kf3 Ne5+ 75.Kg2 Ng6 76.Kh2 Ne5 77.Kh3 Nf7 78.g4+ Kf4 79.Nd3+ Ke4 80.Nc5+ Kf4 81.Ne6+ Ke5 82.Ng5 Nd6 83.Kg3 Ne8 84.Nf3+ Kf6 85.Kf4 Kg7 86.g5 Nd6 87.Ne5 Nc8 88.h5 Nd6 89.Nf3 Kf7 90.Nd4 Ne8 91.Nf5 Nc7 92.Ke5 Ne8 93.Nd6+ 1-0

In the minor our roving reporter is on a very respectable 4.5/7; Dennis Wan on 6 leads Kinto Wan and Megan Setiabudi on 5.5.

Trent Parker
09-01-2011, 10:29 PM
during the first round games I requested a half point bye for round 7.... I Qualified for a "once in a blue moon" opportunity to play poker for a WSOP ticket. Got unlucky in the poker and now I wish I had played the round lol.

mishahu
10-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Peter Parr's SMH report on the championship for 10 January now on the tournament website @ https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/results-and-pairings-1/peter-parr-reports

mishahu
10-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Tournament website updated with round 8 results and round 9 pairings. Go to https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/results-and-pairings-1/pairings

Kevin Bonham
10-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Tomorrow's menu

1 Zhao, Zong-Yuan NSW 2586 2579 [6.5] : Canfell, Gregory J NSW 2297 2229 [6.5]
2 Smirnov, Vladimir NSW 2382 2273 [6.5] : Solomon, Stephen J QLD 2408 2315 [6]
3 Ly, Moulthun QLD 2321 2288 [6] : Brown, Andrew ACT 2175 2168 [6]
4 Xie, George NSW 2478 2462 [5.5] : Illingworth, Max NSW 2311 2284 [6]

There are nine players on 5.5 now of whom Xie is the strongest. I guess these players are still in some sort of contention but they would probably need to go win-win-win.

Bad luck for Canfell getting another black and against Zhao as well after such a tough game with Solo.

Kevin Bonham
10-01-2011, 07:11 PM
... and if only we had live boards for these!

51 Zoud, Badar NSW 1428 [6] : Parker, Trent NSW 1506 [6]
52 Alkin, John QLD 1590 [5.5] : Wan, Dennis NSW 1544 [6]
53 Renzies, Elliott VIC 1298 [5.5] : Setiabudi, Megan ACT 1397 [6]
54 Wan, Kinto NSW 1593 [5.5] : Shi, Eric NSW 941 [5.5]

mishahu
10-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Tournament website collection updated with round 8 games. Go to https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess/view-games

Kevin Bonham
10-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Solomon - Canfell. A tense and difficult game worthy of board 1. Theory for at least the first 22 moves which were played quickly. It looked like Solomon was winning at stages in the endgame but I cannot find anything concrete; especially it looks drawn for the last 15 moves at least.

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 e6 6.Be2 Be7 7.0-0 0-0 8.f4 Nc6 9.Be3 Qc7 10.Kh1 a6 11.Qe1 Nxd4 12.Bxd4 b5 13.a3 Bb7 14.Qg3 Bc6 15.Rae1 Rae8 16.Bf3 Kh8 17.e5 dxe5 18.fxe5 Nd7 19.Ne4 Bxe4 20.Bxe4 f5 21.exf6 Qxg3 22.hxg3 Bxf6 23.Bc6 Bxd4 24.Bxd7 Rxf1+ 25.Rxf1 Rd8 26.c3 Be5 27.Kh2 h5 28.Bxe6 h4 29.Kh3 Bxg3 30.Rf7 Rd6 31.Bc8 a5 32.Rb7 Be1 33.Bg4 Rd5 34.Bf3 Re5 35.Kg4 Bd2 36.Bc6 Bc1 37.Bxb5 Rg5+ 38.Kxh4 Rxg2 39.b4 axb4 40.axb4 Bf4 41.Bd3 g6 42.b5 Rg1 43.b6 Bg5+ 44.Kh3 Bf4 45.Rf7 [45.Be4! g5 46.Bg2 is a try but will probably lead to a draw anyway or perhaps KRB vs KR] 45...Rg3+ 46.Kh4 [46.Kh2 Bd6 seems = (46...g5?? 47.Rxf4 gxf4 48.b7 Rg8 49.c4 etc wins) ] 46...g5+ 47.Kh5 Rxd3 48.b7 Bh2 49.Kg6 Kg8 50.Rg7+ Kf8 51.Rh7 Be5 52.c4 Ke8 53.c5 Rd7 54.Rh8+ Ke7 55.c6 Rd5! 56.Rc8 Rb5 57.Kxg5 [57.c7 Bxc7= (57...Rxb7?? 58.Re8+ wins) ] 57...Bc7+ 58.Kg4 Kd6 59.Kf3 Kxc6 60.b8R Rxb8 61.Rxb8 Bxb8 Draw

Nakauchi - Smirnov. Very long game but artificially extended by at least 50 moves by white not resigning then black responding by showing off his KNB technique. :lol:

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.g3 Bg7 4.Bg2 0-0 5.Nf3 d6 6.0-0 Nbd7 7.Nc3 e5 8.h3 a6 9.Re1 Rb8 10.a4 exd4 11.Nxd4 Ne5 12.b3 Bd7 13.Rb1 Re8 14.e4 Nc6 15.Be3 Qc8 16.Kh2 Nxd4 17.Bxd4 c5 18.Be3 Ng4+ 19.hxg4 Bxc3 20.Rh1 Bxg4 21.Qxd6 b6 22.Bf4 Rb7 23.e5 Rd7 24.Qf6 Qd8 25.Qxd8 Rdxd8 26.Bc6 Bd7 27.Bd5 Bxe5 28.Bg5 Rb8 29.Rbe1 Kg7 30.Kg2 h5 31.Rh4 Bc3 32.Rxe8 Rxe8 33.Re4 f6 34.Bf4 Rxe4 35.Bxe4 Be5 36.Be3 a5 37.f4 Bc3 38.Kf2 Bg4 39.Bc2 Kf7 40.Kg2 Be1 41.Bc1 Ke6 42.Be3 Bc3 43.Bc1 Bd4 44.Bd2 Bf5 45.Bd1 Be4+ 46.Kh3 Bb1 47.g4 hxg4+ 48.Bxg4+ Kf7 49.Bd1 Bf5+ 50.Kg3 Kg7 51.Bc1 Kh6 52.Bd2 g5 53.Bc1 Kg6 54.Kf3 Bd3 55.Kg4 f5+ 56.Kg3 Bf6 57.Bd2 Be7 58.Be3 Bd8 59.Kf2 Bc7 60.fxg5 f4 61.Bd2 Be5 62.Kg2 Be4+ 63.Kf2 Kxg5 64.Kf1 Bd4 65.Ke1 Bd3 66.Bc1 Kf5 67.Bd2 Be4 68.Bc1 f3 69.Bh6 Kg4 70.Bf8 Kf4 71.Bh6+ Kg3 72.Bxf3 Kxf3 73.Kd2 Be5 74.Bf8 Bf4+ 75.Kc3 Ke3 76.Bg7 Bf3 77.Kc2 Ke4 78.Bf6 Bc7 79.Bg5 Kf5 80.Be7 Be4+ 81.Kb2 Kf4 82.Kc3 Ke3 83.Bf6 Ke2 84.Kb2 Kd1 85.Bg7 Bf4 86.Bf6 Be3 87.Bd8 Bd4+ 88.Ka2 Kc1 89.Bg5+ Kc2 90.Bd8 Kc3 91.Bxb6 Kb4 92.Bd8 Bc2 93.Bh4 Bxb3+ 94.Kb1 Bxc4 95.Be1+ Bc3 96.Bf2 Bb3 97.Be3 Bxa4 98.Bg5 Bb3 99.Bc1 Be6 100.Kc2 Bf5+ 101.Kd1 a4 102.Ke2 a3 103.Bxa3+ Kxa3 104.Ke3 c4 105.Ke2 Kb2 106.Ke3 Be5 107.Ke2 c3 108.Ke3 c2 109.Ke2 c1=N+ 110.Kd2 Nb3+ 111.Ke3 Be4 112.Kxe4 Bg7 113.Kd5 Kc3 114.Ke4 Kc4 115.Ke3 Nc5 116.Kf4 Kd5 117.Kf3 Be5 118.Ke3 Bd6 119.Kf3 Kd4 120.Kf2 Ke4 121.Kg2 Nd3 122.Kg1 Kf3 123.Kh1 Nf2+ 124.Kg1 Bf4 125.Kf1 Bh2 126.Ke1 Ne4 127.Kd1 Ke3 128.Kc2 Nd2 129.Kc3 Bd6 130.Kc2 Be5 131.Kd1 Kd3 132.Ke1 Bd4 133.Kd1 Bf2 134.Kc1 Nc4 135.Kd1 Nb2+ 136.Kc1 Kc3 137.Kb1 Kb3 138.Kc1 Be3+ 139.Kb1 Nc4 140.Ka1 Bh6 141.Kb1 Na3+ 142.Ka1 Bg7# 0-1

Xie-Zhao. According to the PGN white offered a draw on move 13. White managed to get out of a wobbly opening with a not too much worse looking position but black converted it anyway.

1.Nf3 d5 2.d4 c6 3.c4 Nf6 4.Nc3 dxc4 5.a4 Bf5 6.Nh4 e6 7.Nxf5 exf5 8.a5 Bb4 9.Qa4 Nd5 10.Bd2 0-0 11.e3 f4 12.e4 Qe7 13.e5 b5 14.axb6 Nxb6 15.Qc2 c5 16.dxc5 Qxe5+ 17.Be2 Bxc5 18.Qe4 N8d7 19.Bf3 Qxe4+ 20.Bxe4 Rad8 21.Bxf4 Nf6 22.0-0 Nxe4 23.Nxe4 Bd4 24.Nc3 Nd5 25.Bd2 Nf6 26.Ra4 Ng4 27.Bf4 Rfe8 28.Bg3 Ne5 29.Bxe5 Bxe5 30.Rxc4 Rb8 31.Re4 f5 32.Re2 Bf6 33.Rc2 Rb3 34.g3 Reb8 35.Nd5 Bxb2 36.Ne7+ Kf8 37.Nc6 Rc8 38.Rb1 a6 39.Rc4 Rb5 40.Rd1 Bf6 41.Kg2 Rc7 42.Rd2 g6 43.Ra2 Rb6 44.Nb8 Ra7 45.Rc6 Rxc6 46.Nxc6 Ra8 47.Ra5 Be7 48.Nxe7 Kxe7 49.h4 Kd6 50.h5 Kc6 51.hxg6 hxg6 52.g4 Kb6 53.Re5 fxg4 54.Kg3 a5 55.Kxg4 a4 56.Re2 a3 57.Ra2 Kc5 58.Kg5 Ra6 59.f4 Kc4 60.Kg4 Ra5 0-1

Ikeda - Ly

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 6.h3 e6 7.g4 Be7 8.Bg2 Nfd7 9.Be3 0-0 10.Qe2 Nc6 11.0-0-0 Qc7 12.Kb1 Nxd4 13.Bxd4 b5 14.Qd2 Bb7 15.Ne2 Rac8 16.Ng3 Nc5 17.h4 Rfd8 18.c3 d5 19.e5 a5 20.Rc1 Ba6 21.g5 b4 22.Bf1 Bc4 23.cxb4 axb4 24.b3 Bxf1 25.Rhxf1 Qa5 26.Rc2 Rc7 27.Rfc1 Rdc8 28.Qe3 g6 29.f3 Qb5 30.Qe2 Qb7 31.Qe3 Na6 32.Rxc7 Nxc7 33.Qd3 Ra8 34.Bc5 Nb5 35.Ne2 Qa6 36.Qd2 Bxc5 37.Rxc5 d4 38.Ka1 Nc3 39.Nc1 Qf1 40.a4 bxa3 41.b4 Rb8 0-1

Brown - V Feldman. Black was really never in this.

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 d5 4.cxd5 Nxd5 5.e4 Nxc3 6.bxc3 Bg7 7.Bb5+ c6 8.Ba4 0-0 9.Ne2 c5 10.0-0 Nc6 11.Be3 Na5 12.Qc1 b6 13.dxc5 Ba6 14.Rd1 Qc8 15.Nf4 b5 16.Bb3 Bb7 17.Nd5 Nc6 18.a4 bxa4 19.Bxa4 Qe6 20.f3 Rfc8 21.Bg5 Bf8 22.Bb3 Qe5 23.Bf4 Qg7 24.Nb4 Ne5 25.Be3 e6 26.Ra5 Nc6 27.Nxc6 Bxc6 28.Bf4 Qf6 29.Bd6 Bg7 30.e5 Qh4 31.Qe3 Bh6 32.Qf2 Qg5 33.h4 Qf4 34.Rda1 Bg7 35.Qd4 Qg3 36.Qg4 Qxg4 37.fxg4 Rab8 38.Ba4 Bd5 39.Bd7 f6 40.Bxb8 Rxb8 41.c6 1-0

Illingworth-Mandla. Cut short by defensive blunder.

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.c4 c6 4.d4 cxd5 5.Nc3 e6 6.Nf3 Bb4 7.Bd3 dxc4 8.Bxc4 Nc6 9.0-0 0-0 10.a3 Be7 11.Qd3 b6 12.Bg5 Bb7 13.Rad1 Rc8 14.Ba2 Nd5 15.Bb1 g6 16.h4 Nb8 17.Bh6 Nxc3 18.bxc3 Ba6 19.Qe3 Bxf1 20.Bxf8 Bxf8 21.Kxf1 Qc7 22.Rd3 Bxa3 23.h5 Bd6 24.Ba2 Bf4 25.Qe4 Nd7 26.hxg6 hxg6 27.g3 Bc1 28.Rd1 Bh6 29.Bxe6 fxe6 30.Qxg6+ Bg7 31.Qxe6+ Kf8 32.d5 Nf6?? [32...Re8] 33.Ne5 Bh8 34.d6 1-0

17 draws today - seems a very high number.

NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK
10-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Nakauchi - Smirnov. Very long game but artificially extended by at least 50 moves by white not resigning then black responding by showing off his KNB technique. :lol:

Seems like very poor etiquette from White - I'm not surprised that Black responded in kind by doing what he did.

I'd like to hear from Vladimir as to what he was feeling during the latter parts of this game.

Kevin Bonham
10-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Seems like very poor etiquette from White

There used to be a history of him just not getting the concept of resignation etiquette (there was a well known case a few years ago where an opponent ended up mating him with numerous bishops at a Zonal) but I don't remember it happening since then. Hopefully it was all just bashed out at warp speed in good humour rather than wasting lots of Vlad's time. He also could have reasonably resigned a fair bit earlier against Xie a few rounds back, but he did resign that game at the point where it was about to become king, queen and pawns vs king and pawns rather than playing it out.

There was a rather strong player in the Aus Junior last year who persistently played on until checkmated. Not one of the younger juniors either. Did it on the first round of the day with a double round in it. Caused us to have to just about barricade the room to stop players coming back for the next round surging in and making noise. Bloody nuisance.

Thread on this issue here (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?p=161952) for anyone interested.

Garvinator
11-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Any information on how the norm hunters are going?

black
11-01-2011, 07:06 AM
Carlsen has pretty bad etiquette...

Go Greg! Great performance so far.

Adamski
11-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Any information on how the norm hunters are going?
Good question! What would (to take NSW examples) FM's Greg Canfell, Vlad Smirnov and Max Illingworth need to do to get an IM norm? I guess there is a fair dependency on ratings of their opposition in a large Swiss.

Watto
11-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Good question! What would (to take NSW examples) FM's Greg Canfell, Vlad Smirnov and Max Illingworth need to do to get an IM norm? I guess there is a fair dependency on ratings of their opposition in a large Swiss.
I don't know the answer to your question but I do know that Greg doesn't need another IM norm - he's already an IM elect. I had a feeling that that might be the case for Vlad as well but perhaps he needs one more?

Bill Gletsos
11-01-2011, 12:17 PM
I don't know the answer to your question but I do know that Greg doesn't need another IM norm - he's already an IM elect. I had a feeling that that might be the case for Vlad as well but perhaps he needs one more?Correct, Greg already has 3 norms.
Vlad has 2 norms.

Denis_Jessop
11-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Seems like very poor etiquette from White - I'm not surprised that Black responded in kind by doing what he did.

I'd like to hear from Vladimir as to what he was feeling during the latter parts of this game.

Whilst superficially this seems like bad etiquette and I was glad to see Vlad give him an extended lesson in endgame technique, I think that there are reasons unassociated with chess that may explain this. I'd not be hard on Gene if this is so but it may indeed teach him lesson or two about chess as well as the consquences of not resigning against a really good player.

DJ

Denis_Jessop
11-01-2011, 12:31 PM
I don't know the answer to your question but I do know that Greg doesn't need another IM norm - he's already an IM elect. I had a feeling that that might be the case for Vlad as well but perhaps he needs one more?

I believe that Vlad needs one more norm but has reached the necessary 2400 rating on a previous occasion.

DJ

Watto
11-01-2011, 12:52 PM
I believe that Vlad needs one more norm but has reached the necessary 2400 rating on a previous occasion.

DJ
That's good to know about having reached 2400 on a previous occasion - I didn't realise that. It must not have been a published rating. Either way he's only a short way off 2400 still which is good. Best of luck with getting your final norm, Vlad!

Kevin Bonham
11-01-2011, 03:53 PM
As far as norms are concerned, isn't 1.44a a critical problem for just about everybody given that this is not the National Championships as such?

1.44a A maximum of 3/5 of the opponents may come from the applicant’s federation and a maximum of 2/3 of the opponents from one federation. For exact numbers see the table in 1.7.

Apart from this I believe Vlad would just get over the line for a 9-game IM norm with a draw against Zhao tomorrow. So it could be good news if it somehow didn't apply.

Vlad
11-01-2011, 06:01 PM
As far as norms are concerned, isn't 1.44a a critical problem for just about everybody given that this is not the National Championships as such?

My understanding is that one tournament a year is not required to satisfy this rule. I believe this is what Greg was saying at some point.

Apart from this I believe Vlad would just get over the line for a 9-game IM norm with a draw against Zhao tomorrow. So it could be good news if it somehow didn't apply.

My calculations show that I may even score zero tomorrow and still get the norm.

Below are my calculations: disregard the first opponent, uplift the second to 2050, then 2060, 2254, 2478, 2262, 2311, 2149, 2408, 2586. That gives an average of 2284.2. According to the handbook on fide website it is just enough for a 9 game norm.

The funniest thing is that Charles' handbook published in 2001 is saying that 2285 is required. I hope it is just old.:)

Bill Gletsos
11-01-2011, 07:13 PM
My calculations show that I may even score zero tomorrow and still get the norm.

Below are my calculations: disregard the first opponent, uplift the second to 2050, then 2060, 2254, 2478, 2262, 2311, 2149, 2408, 2586. That gives an average of 2284.2. According to the handbook on fide website it is just enough for a 9 game norm.I believe this is correct.

The funniest thing is that Charles' handbook published in 2001 is saying that 2285 is required. I hope it is just old.:)That is out of date.

Back then norm performances were:

GM - 2600+
IM - 2450+

i.e. 2600 and 2450 perfromances respectively were insufficient.

Now it is

GM - 2599.5 or above
IM - 2449.5 or above

Leonid Sandler
11-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Congratulations Vladimir !

Well deserved result making your final International Master norm!

Please fight well tomorrow against our number 1 player!

mishahu
11-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Tournament website updated with:

- Round 9 results
- Round 10 pairings
- Round 9 games added to games collection
- Corrected final results of norths classic

Go to https://sites.google.com/site/2011ozopenchess

Oepty
11-01-2011, 07:57 PM
I see that Fedja Zulfic has reached 6.5 out of 9, great effort and will be live tommorrow with his game against George Xie. Sorry George, but
GO FEDJA!!!!!!!!
Scott

Oepty
11-01-2011, 08:00 PM
Congratulations Vlad on achieving your 3rd IM norm.
Scott