PDA

View Full Version : IM James Morris and FM Bobby Cheng

Leonid Sandler
17-04-2010, 07:26 PM
I have noticed that FIDE website finally showing titles---- IM James Morris and FM Bobby Cheng!
Congratulations once again to our top juniors!

Adamski
17-04-2010, 07:55 PM
I have noticed that FIDE website finally showing titles---- IM James Morris and FM Bobby Cheng!
Congratulations once again to our top juniors!Cool. About time.Congrats to James and Bobby!

Kevin Bonham
17-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Congratulations once again to our top juniors!

Excellent. There have been a lot of delays with the award of these two titles and it is great to see them finally formally cleared.

AzureBlue
17-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Lol that took quite awhile! Well done James & Bobby! :clap:

Garrett
17-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Congratulations James and Bobby !

Bill Gletsos
17-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Congratulations once again to our top juniors!Also the WFM titles for Emma Guo and Vaness Reid.

Thunderspirit
18-04-2010, 08:52 AM
Congratulation James on your stunning achievement.

Keep up the good work. Take care and most importantly have fun.

Lee.

James Morris' Chief Bacon Supplier ;)

Metro
18-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Cool. About time.Congrats to James and Bobby!
Well done James:clap: and Bobby:clap:

Carl Gorka
18-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Well done :clap: :clap:

ChessGuru
22-04-2010, 11:28 AM
I think that James should apply for the Olympiad team... take a look at his results in big events in the past year (Zonal, Vic Champs, Doeberl etc) and he'd make the team (wouldn't it be great to have an exciting young team):

Zhao
Smerdon
Xie
Morris

and a close call for 5/6th board between Ikeda, Wohl, Cheng, Rej, Johansen, Solomon and Lane.

Hopefully the selectors can see past the ratings list and give the opportunity to some of our brightest young stars and not to our nearing-retirement legends (Johansen, Solo etc). After all, it's not like we're in the running for a medal yet! :)

Denis_Jessop
22-04-2010, 01:41 PM
I think that James should apply for the Olympiad team... take a look at his results in big events in the past year (Zonal, Vic Champs, Doeberl etc) and he'd make the team (wouldn't it be great to have an exciting young team):

Zhao
Smerdon
Xie
Morris

and a close call for 5/6th board between Ikeda, Wohl, Cheng, Rej, Johansen, Solomon and Lane.

Hopefully the selectors can see past the ratings list and give the opportunity to some of our brightest young stars and not to our nearing-retirement legends (Johansen, Solo etc). After all, it's not like we're in the running for a medal yet! :)

There is no 6th board now as teams are of 5 players. So are the womens teams.

DJ

ChessGuru
23-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Then I vote for an Australian Olympiad team where all players are Under 25!

Zhao, Smerdon, Xie, Morris, Cheng

What a coup!

Vlad
23-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Even if the age was the criterion I do not see how James and Bobby can be ranked higher than Tomek, Molton, Junta and Max.

Alternatively if you are thinking about introducing a ranking based on ACF/age, again neither James nor Bobby will be the front-runner.

Do not get me wrong, they are good kids and in a couple years will be competiting for the places in the team, not at the moment though.

Garrett
23-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Even if the age was the criterion I do not see how James and Bobby can be ranked higher than Tomek, Molton, Junta and Max.

Alternatively if you are thinking about introducing a ranking based on ACF/age, again neither James nor Bobby will be the front-runner.

Do not get me wrong, they are good kids and in a couple years will be competiting for the places in the team, not at the moment though.

I think you are correct Vlad.

ER
23-04-2010, 12:17 PM
They are Victorians! :P

Denis_Jessop
23-04-2010, 04:45 PM
They are Victorians! :P

But this is an Australian Team :P

DJ

ER
23-04-2010, 05:16 PM
But this is an Australian Team :P

DJ

so what? Victoria is a part of Oz as well! :P

Tony Dowden
23-04-2010, 09:39 PM
I think you are correct Vlad.

I agree - but it's an understandable reaction to others taking potshots at their recently ratified FIDE titles.

Kevin Bonham
23-04-2010, 10:17 PM
I agree - but it's an understandable reaction to others taking potshots at their recently ratified FIDE titles.

I'm not sure ChessGuru's suggestion has anything to do with any of that, though I wouldn't rule out the potshots triggering some polarisation in the opposite direction by others.

Without commenting on the merits of any particular players I should again note that the sole selection criterion is to rank the players in order of their perceived current playing strength, unless the ACF Council decides on a different one (which in the case of this Olympiad hasn't happened.)

Anyone who thinks that criterion should be changed for a given Olympiad (eg to make the team an under-25 team), or that other criteria should be added, needs to send their proposal to the ACF a long way ahead of the Olympiad for which they wish the change to take effect, as the criteria certainly can't be changed once the selections process is underway. I'd suggest any such proposal for future Olympiads be sent to the ACF at least one year in advance of the Olympiad in question to maximise its chance of being accepted in time in the case that the ACF agrees with it.

antichrist
22-11-2010, 12:44 AM
these two players played yesterday and theor game appears on *******, and lo & behold young Morris made the same mistake he did in my game with him, he took too hurriedly the wrong piece and blundered, poor guy.

Sort of blind spot in a different way.

MichaelBaron
22-11-2010, 10:31 AM
these two players played yesterday and theor game appears on *******, and lo & behold young Morris made the same mistake he did in my game with him, he took too hurriedly the wrong piece and blundered, poor guy.

Sort of blind spot in a different way.

AC - hard to imagine you beating James....unless he was 3 years old at the time :lol:

antichrist
22-11-2010, 12:45 PM
AC - hard to imagine you beating James....unless he was 3 years old at the time :lol:

I have beaten players (in social games) a lot higer rated than James for your info - Mr-having-a-laugh. And only last week I beat a 2,000-rated player 2-1 at local club. The bigger they are the harder they fall. Actually I think it is because they underestimate my low rating. But I find it shocking that I have to boast.

Rincewind
22-11-2010, 12:46 PM

It was an online game where anything can happen. For example, I've seen 1500 players beat GM Christian Bauer.

antichrist
22-11-2010, 12:50 PM
It was an online game where anything can happen. For example, I've seen 1500 players beat GM Christian Bauer.

I had it in for him coz played him earlier whilst trying to find pieces to set up board, and playing in my head I mixed up the board, lost a piece and the game with no takeback allowed. Fair enuf but I was out for revenge so spent up to 5 hours per move quite often. That long coz I am a bit dense

Rincewind
22-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Fair enuf but I was out for revenge so spent up to 5 hours per move quite often. That long coz I am a bit dense

No need to explain to me AC, I know how it is. I used to play correspondence chess. The amazing thing was my correspondence rating was almost exactly the same as my ACF rating. :lol:

antichrist
22-11-2010, 12:58 PM
No need to explain to me AC, I know how it is. I used to play correspondence chess. The amazing thing was my correspondence rating was almost exactly the same as my ACF rating. :lol:

Are you also admitting that you are a bit dense - but certainly not in that non-chess topic, you should receive the Skeptics annual prize. May I nominate you?

antichrist
22-11-2010, 01:00 PM

And smarty pants I defeated another up and coming champ who went on to represent Australia. The whole hall watched. If I can get bashed up during demos I can take on anyone

Rincewind
22-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Are you also admitting that you are a bit dense - but certainly not in that non-chess topic, you should receive the Skeptics annual prize. May I nominate you?

It's true that I am a skeptic. However I don't think awards are appropriate. Just examine at the evidence and look for the most parsimonious hypothesis.