PDA

View Full Version : Is there a club in the Adelaide Hills region?

Rincewind
14-04-2010, 06:10 PM
I'm looking for a club in the Adelaide Hills or near to the A1 terminus in the SE suburbs.

Of the clubs listed on the SACA website the closest seems to be Norwood! (Marion and West Torrens are both further according to Google).

Oepty
14-04-2010, 07:46 PM
I'm looking for a club in the Adelaide Hills or near to the A1 terminus in the SE suburbs.

Of the clubs listed on the SACA website the closest seems to be Norwood! (Marion and West Torrens are both further according to Google).

Barry, As far as I know there is none. However Bill, George or sleepless might know of something. Does this mean you have found a house?
Scott

Rincewind
14-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Barry, As far as I know there is none. However Bill, George or sleepless might know of something.

Thanks Scott.

Does this mean you have found a house?

Yes, it's in Mount Barker. Looking forward to moving in.

Rincewind
18-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Ok, sounds like I will be travelling to Norwood.

Now for part 2... can someone provide some info on the chess club at the University of Adelaide which meets Wednesday afternoons. Do they have rated club events are is it more of a club for social chess?

The club page also mentions the possibility of an evening meeting on Thursdays. That is something I would prefer to 2PM - 5PM Wednesdays which is more likely to conflict with work.

If there are any members of chess chat who are members of this club I'd be interested in finding out.

george
26-04-2010, 08:33 PM
hi Rincewind,
Glad to see you will be in Adelaide. The norwood CC meets every monday night at 7.30. The total annual membership fee is $15.00. There are NO playing fees and no tournament entry fees.

We have a set annual chess calender with a big variety which seems to satisfy members - as well of course there are the SACA Grade matches and Pennant matches and Norwood always has a healthy number of A and B grade teams represented in this most prestigous teams comp.

The Modbury Chess Club is a fine chess club that meets on friday evenings - contact William AS on chesschat to find out more about them.

The Adelaide Uni Chess Club was very vibrant and participated in a full range of SA chess activities - but as with most uni clubs the particular undergraduates who drove the club left now you have a club still to find itself.
SACA has let the Adelaide Uni Chess Club know a number of times we still are holding a small number of timers which belong to them but came to our keeping after their club fell apart. They have reformed which is fantastic but SACA hasnt heard from them officially for some time.

Rincewind
26-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Hi George,

Thanks for the info. I think I will try Norwood for starters but will need to settle in at home first.

Yes I have met William AS on the board - and in person at the Labour Day weekend tournament last year. Perhaps I'll play that tournament again this year. I'd like to play the July Weekender some day of course but I will be moving that weekend so it won't be this year.