PDA

View Full Version : Australian Junior Chess Championships, 15-23 Jan 2011 Mooroolbark, Victoria

Pages : [1] 2

SHump
07-04-2010, 10:26 AM
On behalf of Chess Victoria, a group of chess club (Ranges and Croydon mostly) members and parents from Victoria will be hosting the Australian Junior 2011 at the Billanook College, Mooroolbark, Melbourne on behalf of the Australian Junior Chess League. This will be the first time the Australian Junior has been held in the state for quite some time, so we are all very excited about the event! This post is just to give some preliminary basic details, all of which are subject to final confirmation; full details will be online on a website established for the event in coming months.

Note that this was announced and some details were distributed last weekend at the Doeberl Cup.

Dates: January 15-23 2011. Note the event will run a maximum of 9 days (and occupying only 1 working week)

Venue: Billanook College, Mooroolbark (www.billanook.vic.edu.au) is located in the gateway to the Yarra Valley of Melbourne. It is located on 15 hectares of natural bushland in a quiet, semi-rural environment. The venue is first class and chess events are run there on a regular basis. The college is 2km from the nearest station and we will be running shuttle buses to there and also to nearby accommodation, depending on demand.

Accommodation: A range of accommodation styles and costs is being negotiated. Stay tuned for more details! There is handy conference centre accommodation and a dozen motels within 20 minutes of the venue, plus a couple of caravan parks and a mediation centre. Those with more up market tastes, well Melbourne IS the capital of suave.

Schedule: This is brand new, not been tried before, but should prove more attractive, especially for visitors, as the younger players event is finished in fewer days. The attached draft schedule may be more useful. But in summary:

Six championship events, in open and girls divisions
The event runs for 9 days for the U18/U16 players, 6 days for the U14/U12s and 4 days for the U10/U8 players
All lightning and problem solving happen on the Tuesday
There is no rapid tournament
Those under 10 could play in both the U10/U8 and the U14/U12 events

Organisers: The main organisers are myself, Scott Humphreys, Pearl Yung, NY Wong, Yew Sze Lim supported by Paul Bearup, Jamie Cross and Kerry Lyall and others too numerous to mention at this stage. All of these people bring a wealth of experience to junior chess events.

Social events: We will be aiming to provide various social events for players and parents to make the event as friendly and enjoyable as possible and give parents more options for things to do while the tournament is on.

Official website should be online by around the end of June, or earlier if the stars align properly. But block out your mini-break in Melbourne dates for now.

Contact: me either via this site, or send an email to ajcc2011@gmail.com. We are looking for all offers of support (in any form, sponsors, volunteers, etc) and am happy to consider all suggestions at this stage.

Scott Humphreys, DOP

SHump
08-04-2010, 09:40 PM
And something else I wanted to say..

I am suggesting to all parents of Vic chess players to consider: the Aus Juniors may not come often to Melbourne, so please give serious consideration for getting your child to play in it. Think of it like the Olympics - no huge travel costs to attend, so you make sure you go to it. And think about where you work - could my company get something out of sponsoring a national event?

Garvinator
08-04-2010, 10:03 PM
When can other states start promoting this event formally?

The Bennett
08-04-2010, 10:10 PM
I think I'll give this one a miss for now, I dislike the new 9-round format, in my opinion its not a good way of deciding a national junior champion.

MB

SHump
08-04-2010, 10:49 PM
When can other states start promoting this event formally?
Any time Garvin, please do not wait to be told :) For instance, SACA have the following info on their site http://sachess.org/Aus_Junior_chess2011.html. As one of our potential major interstate "customers" I was going to talk to you soonish anyway, as per others in each state.

AzureBlue
09-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Wow, it's finally in Victoria :clap: - when was the last time the Aus Juniors were held in Victoria? Was it 2005 Mt Buller?

Garvinator
09-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Wow, it's finally in Victoria :clap: - when was the last time the Aus Juniors were held in Victoria? Was it 2005 Mt Buller?Yes.

Mischa
10-04-2010, 01:55 AM
I enjoyed Mt Buller

Vlad
13-04-2010, 09:53 AM
I think I'll give this one a miss for now, I dislike the new 9-round format, in my opinion its not a good way of deciding a national junior champion.

MB

Yes, we definitely will be playing... It is much better format than before... And it allows to play 3 serious competitions in January: champs, juniors and the zonal. :clap:

SHump
13-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Thanks Vlad for your vote of confidence. Yes the new format does allow the 3 events in January to be attended. Whether 9 or 11 rounds should be used to decide the champions is something I had not considered, and I by no means am an expert in this area. But there are many major events that use a 9 round format (Doeberl, SIO for example), so why not this one?

Also, as it will be basically 6 divisions (U18/U14/U10 in open and girls), whereas in the past it was 4 divisions (U18/U12 in open and girls), then the number of players per division should be 'less' (sort of justifying less rounds). Mind you I am hoping and planning for more than less entrants.

Travel and accommodation costs, and time away from work, must be a big part of the decision to play, for both local and interstate parents. Hence you can see why I think the new format will be a hit for the majority of parents/players. But I am working within the bounds set for me in terms of number of rounds, rounds per day etc.

The Bennett
13-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Whether 9 or 11 rounds should be used to decide the champions is something I had not considered, and I by no means am an expert in this area.
From my perspective, the 11 round format makes me feel like I'm in a major national competition, not that 9 rounds is neccesarilly bad but I just feel that 11 rounds brings a better atmosphere to the tournament.

But there are many major events that use a 9 round format (Doeberl, SIO for example), so why not this one?

Yes there are many other major events that use 9 rounds but other events such as Aus Champs use the 11 round format. I can understand the reasons for changing the 11 round format such as the time parents need to take off work or time out of their own holidays just to sit around all day watching their kids play chess for 11 days (can't be that exciting:( ) and that the Aus Juniors has the unfortunate occurance straight after Aus Champs and right before the Zonal so of course there are big benefits in changing the format.
It's just that from a players perspective, 11 rounds sounds more fun and exciting than a regular 9 round tournament.

Once again this is only my opinion and of course many other juniors may feel differently or the same about this. All other changes made to the tournament though I agree with entirely such as cutting out the rapid.

Cheers,

MB

The Bennett
13-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Also I believe the Doeberl could only be 9 rounds due to financial reasons no? Am not certain though but GM Bojkov did say something along those lines in his chessbase report.

Kevin Bonham
13-04-2010, 03:44 PM
All the best with the new format and I will be following with much interest.

By the way for anyone who wants to debate the format at length there is an existing Aus Junior format thread from last year at http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=10049 . If extended format discussion develops on this thread too it may be moved there.

I have sent some comments about the draft schedule (not the format as such, just some timing issues) to Scott by email.

Miranda
14-04-2010, 02:49 AM
I may be playing. I would prefer the 11-day format, but I suppose the 9 is better (will need to do some studying during the holidays as well!) I find the loss of the rapid tournament quite disappointing - it's a fun event, not as stressful as the lightning and good for those of us who practice at those time controls!

SHump
21-04-2010, 10:44 AM
For those Melbourne chess parents/coaches that are curious about Billanook college, the college conducts a tour on a regular basis. The next is on Saturday 1st May, from 10.30am (that ties in with the Billanook College Chess Championship Cup dates, that start at 9.30am). Bookings are preferred though not essential. See http://www.billanook.vic.edu.au/v2/enrolment_print_form2.php for the booking form.

At the previous tour, two school captains came to the BCCCC tournament.

Come along and play chess at the host school of the 2011 Australian Junior Chess Championship! Parents can join a short guided tour of the grounds to get an idea of what's in store. Guided tours meet in the Alan Ross Centre, which is the proposed venue of the big event in January 2011.

SHump
30-04-2010, 03:17 PM
I just wanted to provide an updated flyer that includes a revised event schedule (for the 3, 5 or 9 day events). This schedule looks a lot better now (Tuesday now looking a lot more 'restful'), and is close to the final one. Now:

- those playing in the U8/U10 - it is all over in 3 days (Sat to Mon) [only 1 working day for parents]
- those playing in the U12/U14 - it is all over in 5 days (Wed to Sun)
ie the opening and closing ceremony is held within the above start/finish days.

Also, the web site should be launched by the end of May. It will be www.ajcc2011.com.au so keep an eye out for it.

SHump
01-05-2010, 10:59 PM
In another place, there was a comment about the phrase in the flyer that went
"How do I get there? The college is 2km from the Mooroolbark train station (Lilydale train line), but we will be running a shuttle bus to connect with trains or to nearby accommodation, depending on demand".

The comment was that:

"I don't think it is reasonable to have juniors take the train all by themselves, and then to possibly have to walk 2 kilometres if there is no shuttle bus. The shuttle is mandatory in my view, and should not just be based on demand. But parents should be informed of the need to accompany the juniors on the train - and to ensure they have some taxi money in case they miss the bus for some reason".

It is always intended that the shuttle bus will be there to meet with the train, for the times that we plan for, given that we expect most to come 30-60 minutes before their first (or only) round for the day and be there until after their last (or only) game is over and they do any data entry if they so choose, or there is a closing ceremony to attend. If their last game finishes early then they may have to do what most would do - entertain themselves until the shuttle runs again (again, as it will be advertised). The college is well set up for outside games/sports if the junior (and/or parent) wants to hit, kick, strike or bounce a ball, for instance.

The 'on demand' part was only meant to be for the 'local accommodation' part, not for the shuttle bus to the station, and I am sorry for any ambiguous wording there. If and when I put out another flyer it will be made clearer.

We are looking at using a bus company as well to supplement the college's shuttle bus for getting people to/from the station in 'off peak' times (still under negotiation). If there is no demand for the college bus to run to local accommodation, then it won't be needed for that. To determine if there is demand, we will need to poll the out-of-towners closer to the event.

Local parents will make up there own mind about sending their child on public transport or not, and what to do if there is no service for whatever reason (this is also a metlink issue, not just a chess organiser issue!). But whatever transport timetable we publish (shuttle or local accommodation wise) we will endeavour to meet.

I hope this explains it all.

Kevin Bonham
01-05-2010, 11:37 PM
That comment was by the owner of that site who is permanently banned from here, who frequently says silly things, and who has no involvement with junior chess at all, and very little these days with chess at any level beyond fast games on the internet. Whether or not his comment in this case was reasonable I recommend losing less than no sleep over his opinions.

SHump
11-06-2010, 12:48 AM
The AJCC2011 web site is ready to go! Please access this via:

ajcc2011.com.au (http://ajcc2011.com.au)

Some things, like payment methods, are still being worked out. But hey it is still early days. We will be updating it on a regular basis, and please subscribe to the newsletter - those that have already contacted us will already be added.

If you want to contact us, or become a sponsor, there is a place on the web site for this, or send an email to us via here (info@ajcc2011.com.au).

I have also attached a one page flyer, that will also be distributed to the usual suspects. I would like to take this opportunity to thank the hard working committee for getting us this far along the journey.

Kevin Bonham
11-06-2010, 01:32 AM
Looks good. Pleased to see things going well.

yewsze
12-06-2010, 11:38 PM
I've just registered Denise in the Under 12 Girl and Ethan for the Under 10 and Under 12 Open. The registration seems to have gone through smoothly. :D

SHump
24-06-2010, 11:32 AM
We have revised/updated the accommodation section (http://www.ajcc2011.com.au/PHITE.php?sitesig=PT&page=PT_SUB&subpage=PT_140_Accommodation)of the web site now, hopefully to make it a little easier to see the listings of the establishments. The list is a lot longer now and includes contact details for each place.

There is a steady stream of early registrants at this stage - the list of entries will be updated on a weekly basis or thereabouts (at this early stage). Note that there is a $25 discount for entries made and paid for before 1 Dec 2010. We don't have the payment section working just yet, but please feel free to register.

Carl Gorka
01-08-2010, 01:15 AM
There are some issues on this thread (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=12245)that could impact on the upcoming Australian Junior Championship:(

SHump
03-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the heads up, as not everyone reads every thread on here. I hope that CV and the ACF can agree on what is outstanding, or some payment scheme at least, and Victorian juniors are not to be penalised for chess politics/finances getting in the way of playing ability/results earned. That would be a great shame.

Some of the possibe ACF measures outlined by Bill in that thread seem a touch draconian, but I am not aware of the long running issue of past payments, so I do not want to inflame the issue.

Skitterbug
05-10-2010, 07:24 AM
The new format will make it easier for parents to take time out of work but I believe that the 11 rounds was a better tournament for the Australian Junior Championships. The good thing about the Australian Juniors is that you have time to prepare before every round with your coach. This is good because it teaches Juniors about preparing for tournaments. I think the extra two rounds is useful in this respect but I also think the two rounds in one day may be a bit dubious. I also believe that having a an U14-U12 and an U18-U16 may lose some experience that the younger juniors can take for the older player.

Anyway, I wish you the best and I hope the tournament runs well. Like Matt said, it is a bit hard running the Juniors after the Champs and before the Zonal.

SHump
05-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Time is running out for getting those T-shirts and $$ discounts

Only for the entries received and paid for by 31 Oct 2010 will receive one T-shirt free per entry. These entrants may order more than one T-shirt if they so desire.

Entry fees are discounted by $25 for payments made before 1 December 2010.

Also, during the event, a range of prizes are being given away:

12 x annual subscription to the bi-monthly Australasian Magazine ($55 each)
50 x "Learn Chess With Martika". Written by IM Gary Lane and Tony Oliver, packaged as a computer CD in a DVD case. Compatible with Windows XP.
3 analog chess clocks

So please get in soon with your entry.

mikesguns
05-10-2010, 05:30 PM
How much does it cost to enter the U18 division and the lightening and problem solving tournament if i were to pay the amount now?

Garvinator
05-10-2010, 06:24 PM
How much does it cost to enter the U18 division and the lightening and problem solving tournament if i were to pay the amount now?
Have you made any attempt to find the information on the website mentioned in a previous post?

ER
05-10-2010, 06:36 PM

Here you are Michael! :)

http://ajcc2011.com.au/PHITE.php

And have a good trip, a good time in Greece, and a good performance in the World Youth Championship!

mikesguns
05-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Have you made any attempt to find the information on the website mentioned in a previous post?
I looked through all the links and I cant find it
I know there is $25 off but I dont know the total price for earlybird entry

Garvinator
05-10-2010, 07:11 PM
I know there is $25 off but I dont know the total price for earlybird entryI just wanted to check that you had made an effort to find this information for yourself, rather than just asking others to do the work for you :)

Here is the information, click on the link that applies to the tournament (s) that you are interested in: http://ajcc2011.com.au/PHITE.php?sitesig=PT&page=PT_SUB&subpage=PT_005_About

ER
05-10-2010, 07:19 PM
I know there is $25 off but I dont know the total price for earlybird entry

If you think he is strict here Michael wait till you have him as an arbiter in a tournament! They don't call him arbigator for nothing ! ;) :P

mikesguns
05-10-2010, 07:22 PM
I just wanted to check that you had made an effort to find this information for yourself, rather than just asking others to do the work for you :)

Here is the information, click on the link that applies to the tournament (s) that you are interested in: http://ajcc2011.com.au/PHITE.php?sitesig=PT&page=PT_SUB&subpage=PT_005_About
Ok thanks I looked through all the pages but i never thought to click on that link for some reason. Thanks for that.
And JAK :D

mikesguns
05-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Thanks I entered now I hope my T-shirt size is right.

SHump
05-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Also how much does it cost to enter the U18 tournament, the problem solving and lightening tournaments (with/without discount)?

The following is an extract from the AJCC2011 web site (http://www.ajcc2011.com.au/PHITE.php?sitesig=PT&page=PT_SUB&subpage=PT_005_About) (navigate to About then select a tournament). So this is for just for the U18 championship (other age groups/events are different prices):

Division |Under 18 Open
Entry fee |$100 |before 1 Nov 2010 and order one free T-shirt
Note all T-shirt orders| |
must be made before |$100 |discount of $25 before 1 Dec 2010
1 Dec 2010 | |
|$125 |normal entry fee before 1 Jan 2011
|$140 |late entry fee before 9 Jan 2011

Watto
22-10-2010, 08:53 AM
U 18 Open
Bobby Cheng VIC 2227
Eugene Schon VIC 2160
Justin Tan VIC 1978
Michael Addamo VIC 1607
Kyle Gibson VIC 1517
Ryan ORourke NSW 1327
Benjamin Spencer VIC

I won't post all the different sections but it's good to see that entries are starting to come in (The rest can be seen here: http://www.ajcc2011.com.au/PHITE.php?sitesig=PT&page=PT_SUB&subpage=PT_050_Entries )
I've visited Billanook College a few times and it has beautiful grounds and is very well equipped so it should be an excellent event. It would be great to see tons of juniors enter - including most of our top juniors - like they did in Hobart.
If we are in Melbourne, I look forward to being a spectator especially since it's only a 5 minute walk from home. :)

Kevin Bonham
22-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Looks like entries are now coming in at a pretty similar rate to Hobart. I count 59 on the website now, cf Hobart 56 on Oct 13 and 66 on Oct 31. Since for a while entries were coming in slower than for Hobart I won't be surprised if they now accelerate and you finish up with more.

Garvinator
22-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Looks like entries are now coming in at a pretty similar rate to Hobart. I count 59 on the website now, cf Hobart 56 on Oct 13 and 66 on Oct 31. Since for a while entries were coming in slower than for Hobart I won't be surprised if they now accelerate and you finish up with more.
I would be very surprised if there were not a lot more entries for 2011 considering the change of format and being in Melbourne.

ER
22-10-2010, 02:55 PM
I know there was a lot of tremendous work done on behalf of the organisers in the committee, and I also know that kids and parents loved it!
I also know some of the people who are involved in this one and I can assure you that they do their best to keep this event up to the high standards it deserves!

Oepty
31-10-2010, 07:57 AM

The entries have accelerated considerably and sits at a healthy 86 entries, not including Isaac Skinner's double entry to the under 12s. This is higher than the number of juniors as a number are taking the opportunity to play both under 10 and under 12 tournaments.
Scott

Kevin Bonham
31-10-2010, 01:48 PM
I wonder why Ari Dale is playing in the U18 - he would be eligible for U14 so is it an error or does he want the stronger competition?

Ninja
31-10-2010, 10:08 PM
I wonder why Ari Dale is playing in the U18 - he would be eligible for U14 so is it an error or does he want the stronger competition?
Maybe because;
Different format from previous years.
U18, U16, U14 etc separate tournaments
U18/U16 One game a day
U14 two games a day
U18 Fide Rated
etc

Adamski
31-10-2010, 10:15 PM
The entries have accelerated considerably and sits at a healthy 86 entries, not including Isaac Skinner's double entry to the under 12s. This is higher than the number of juniors as a number are taking the opportunity to play both under 10 and under 12 tournaments.
ScottThis is an extremely healthy rate of early entries. The Australian Open would love to have something similar. But older players are traditionally tardy in getting their entries in. Of course, in many cases they have to arrange annual leave first - which does not apply for juniors....

Vlad
31-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Even though I agree that the numbers look reasonable, the actual numbers are a bit smaller because a number of players entered more than one tournament. For example, Enoch Fan and Ethan Lim entered both under 10 and under 12. Given that rounds are scheduled at the same time, playing in both tornaments could be difficult.:)

Bill Gletsos
31-10-2010, 10:48 PM
For example, Enoch Fan and Ethan Lim entered both under 10 and under 12. Given that rounds are scheduled at the same time, playing in both tornaments could be difficult.:)The website shows the U10 schedule is 15th-17th January whilst the U12 is 19th-23rd January.

DSS
03-11-2010, 10:42 AM

It is not an error - he wants to play in U18 because it is FIDE rated.

Watto
04-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Northern Star Chess is a proud sponsor of the 2011 Australian Junior Chess Championships.

With the Australian Juniors in mind, they are hosting a series of weekend chess squads in Melbourne from the 13th November until the end of the school year to assist strong school level chess players make the transition into tournament chess. For more information, please see the thread I have created here: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=12552

Kevin Bonham
26-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Currently 120 110 entries in the main tournaments. Breakdown by broad category with comparative figures for Hobart at the same stage in brackets:

Under 14,16,18 Open 30 (33)
Under 14,16,18 Girls 5 (11)
Under 8, 10, 12 Open 57 (38)
Under 8, 10, 12 Girls 18 (8).

Since the total is now 30 20 ahead of Hobart's at the same point, it is likely the total entry number will exceed 150 140 and it could well be more like 180 170 given that it is accelerating from a slow start.

mikesguns
26-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Just confirming each section is a different competition, U18 is different to U16 which is different to U14 .......

And the total entries are only 110 according to figures next to the names

Kevin Bonham
26-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Just confirming each section is a different competition, U18 is different to U16 which is different to U14 .......

Yes I know that - I was just amalgamating them for statistical purposes because it was an easier way to compare with Hobart.

Oepty
26-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Yes I know that - I was just amalgamating them for statistical purposes because it was an easier way to compare with Hobart.

Kevin, Michael is right about the total, it is only 110, not 120 and I think should be only 109 because Isaac Skinner appears twice in the under 12.
Scott

Kevin Bonham
26-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Kevin, Michael is right about the total, it is only 110, not 120

Indeed. In a typical flash of genius on the piece of paper in front of me I have added 35 to 75 and somehow got 120. :doh:

ER
28-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Are you going to keep us informed with additional statistical and comparative information as we approach the actual championship Kevin?
Like in ratio per state participation etc?
BTW I talked to NorthernStar Chess (co-sponsors and organisers of the Champs) representatives during the CV AGM today; they are very happy with the entries so far! And, imagine we have still a bit more than a whole month before the entries deadline!

Kevin Bonham
28-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Are you going to keep us informed with additional statistical and comparative information as we approach the actual championship Kevin?

No idea. At this stage I have no intentions beyond keeping tabs on the overall field size and comparisons with last year by age and gender - bearing in mind that an at least slightly increased field is to be expected all else being equal because the location is cheaper to get to.

Oepty
29-11-2010, 06:17 AM
No idea. At this stage I have no intentions beyond keeping tabs on the overall field size and comparisons with last year by age and gender - bearing in mind that an at least slightly increased field is to be expected all else being equal because the location is cheaper to get to.

And comparing with the past is a little problematic because of the change of format and players being able to enter 2 tournaments at the younger age groups, something which is happening quite a bit. However the biggest juniors, Canberra 2007, was over 200, can not find the exact number. There have been several juniors with around 170 entries.
Scott

SHump
29-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Roll up, roll up! Get in now of forever rue your tardiness.

Best value in town!

Entry fees are discounted by $25 for payments made before 1 December 2010.

Go to here (http://www.ajcc2011.com.au/PHITE.php?sitesig=PT&page=PT_SUB&subpage=PT_040_Register)to start the registration proicess, and then PAY

Taigastyle
30-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Is there any way to pay by Credit/Bank card?

Libby2
01-12-2010, 10:25 AM
And comparing with the past is a little problematic because of the change of format and players being able to enter 2 tournaments at the younger age groups, something which is happening quite a bit. However the biggest juniors, Canberra 2007, was over 200, can not find the exact number.

210 ;)
Approximately 170 entered by our t-shirt deadline (Sept/Oct) and about 200 by this point as we had an early close. Which was fortunate given the very large entry was creating logistical issues that would only have been amplified had we not had some idea well in advance and instead were waiting for the usual slow dawdle of people to make up their mind.

There have been several juniors with around 170 entries.
Scott

Prior to Canberra, the largest had been 166 (90% confident of that).

Good luck everyone with the event. It is always nice to enjoy the support of the chess community for your efforts and it doesn't happen often enough. I'll be very interested to see feedback on the new format as the event gets underway as it's an uncertainty this group of organisers have been brave enough to be the guinea pigs for. There are always a few swings,roundabouts and gremlins to negotiate with anything new.

Watto
01-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Is there any way to pay by Credit/Bank card?
Hi Taigastyle, I'm not one of the organisers but judging from the website you can pay by credit card. Go to the official website and click on the tabs Registration and Pay and you'll find the directions on how to do it: http://www.ajcc2011.com.au

SHump
01-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Sorry, but there is no credit card facility.

The payment methods available are: paypal, direct debit, payment into our account at a Bendigo Bank branch or cheque.

ER
01-12-2010, 11:22 AM
210 ;)
... Which was fortunate given the very large entry was creating logistical issues that would only have been amplified had we not had some idea well in advance and instead were waiting for the usual slow dawdle of people to make up their mind...

They main thing is that the kids loved the Canberra event, :clap: as in fact they did love it in Hobart! :clap: They even found Kevin nice! :doh: Go figure! :lol:

Ninja
01-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Sorry, but there is no credit card facility.

The payment methods available are: paypal, direct debit, payment into our account at a Bendigo Bank branch or cheque.
FYI
PayPal allows you to pay with a credit card if you do not already have a PayPal account.
When paying via PayPal you are normally given three choices.
1) Use your existing PayPal account.
2) Create a new PayPal account
3) Use express payment via credit card without creating a PayPal account.

Oepty
01-12-2010, 05:12 PM
210 ;)
Approximately 170 entered by our t-shirt deadline (Sept/Oct) and about 200 by this point as we had an early close. Which was fortunate given the very large entry was creating logistical issues that would only have been amplified had we not had some idea well in advance and instead were waiting for the usual slow dawdle of people to make up their mind.

I had 213 in mind for some wild reason, but was far from confident.

Prior to Canberra, the largest had been 166 (90% confident of that).

From looking back at the ACF bulletins to get numbers before 2007, I get 172 2006 Brisbane (I had to count up names as no numbers for each tournament given so might be a couple out, athough I got the same number both times I counted it), 170 2005 Mt Buller, 135 Perth 2004, 164 Adelaide 2003, 164 Sydney 2002 with a note in the bulletin noting it was 2 short of the record number of competitors, 137 Canberra 2001, 140+, no exact number given, Churchhill Victoria 2000, 117 Hervey Bay 1999 (info taken from the 3rd ever ACF Bulletin). I don't know which year the 166 comes from but it was a record for a while. Since 2007, 2008 in Sydney had 168 entries.
Scott

Fenguin
01-12-2010, 05:52 PM
is it possible to pay by credit card? the website only says EFTPOS or paypal and this is the last day of early bird entry so I would like a reply quick if possible!

Taigastyle
01-12-2010, 05:58 PM
is it possible to pay by credit card? the website only says EFTPOS or paypal and this is the last day of early bird entry so I would like a reply quick if possible!

Hey Tom.

I just made a paypal account last night and paid by credit card through there. There is no additional surcharge, and the process is rather quick :)

mikesguns
01-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Here so far are the amount of entries and the amount expected as per prizes
Open U18 15(33)
Girls U18 2 (3)
Open U16 9 (24)
Girls U16 3 (6)
Open U14 18 (16)
Girls U14 4 (18)
Open U12 37 (48)
Girls U12 13 (10)
Open U10 27 (16)
Girls U10 6 (6)
Open U8 7 (9)
Girls U8 1 (3)

The lower age groups are doing really well

Oepty
01-12-2010, 07:42 PM
There was a enquiry about breakdown by states. There is currently 141 entries, I think 2 more within the last hour or so, ignoring the double entry of Matthew Pyper to the under 14s. The Isaac Skinner double entry has been fixed.
The state breakdown is,
VIC 96
NSW 12
QLD 11
SA 11
ACT 6
WA 2
OTHER 2
TAS 1

Scott

SHump
02-12-2010, 06:24 AM
Here so far are the amount of entries and the amount expected as per prizes
Open U18 15(33)
Girls U18 2 (3)
Open U16 9 (24)
Girls U16 3 (6)
Open U14 18 (16)
Girls U14 4 (18)
Open U12 37 (48)
Girls U12 13 (10)
Open U10 27 (16)
Girls U10 6 (6)
Open U8 7 (9)
Girls U8 1 (3)

The lower age groups are doing really well
Yes, the number in brackets was based on approximately 1.5 times the number that attended the previous event (Hobart, had about 120), using actual ages rather than the division numbers (Hobart and previous events had just the 4 divisions: U18 boy and girl, U12 boy and girl).

Perhaps this estimate was optimistic - time will tell. But given the different format, and being a long time since the event was held anywhere near Melbourne, it was a reasonable expectation that these numbers (192) would be achieved. This still may be the case, but of course the spread per age division may be different to estimated. With 141 current entries, the 'target' may be reached.

Oepty
02-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Yes, the number in brackets was based on approximately 1.5 times the number that attended the previous event (Hobart, had about 120), using actual ages rather than the division numbers (Hobart and previous events had just the 4 divisions: U18 boy and girl, U12 boy and girl).

Perhaps this estimate was optimistic - time will tell. But given the diffferent format, and being a long time since the event was held anywhere near Melbourne, it was a reasonable expectation that these numbers (180) would be achieved. This still may be the case, but of course the spread per age division may be different to estimated. With 141 current entries, the 'target' may be reached.

The numbers in brackets add up to 192.
Scott

SHump
02-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Thanks Scott, from another Scott. Edit made.

Oepty
06-12-2010, 07:09 AM
The organisers get to raise their bat to the crowd as the number of entries has now passed 150, 151 to be exact. We also now have multiple entries in every division with there now being 2 entries for the girls under 8 meaning there will be competition for the title. This is looking very exciting and shaping up to be an excellent tournament, not one to miss.
Scott

Ron
08-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Is there anybody from VIC can offer homestay to Pengyu CHEN who intended to attend U18 in AJCC? He is 14 years old (ACF 1977 FIDE 1977) and need to take in and out the game. In return, we can offer accomedation in Sydney when needed. It is perfect if some person also join U18 or U16 in AJCC so the time shuold be almost same. Please contact Rong on 02 9478 4070(B) or 0414 258 351 or email chenqianson@hotmail.com to discuss.

Kevin Bonham
08-12-2010, 09:42 PM
We also now have multiple entries in every division with there now being 2 entries for the girls under 8 meaning there will be competition for the title.

I see that there are now four entries for that division. Not counting the known double entry, there seem to be 158 entries in the main event now, of which 10 are players doubling up, so there are 148 players. Good stuff.

Oepty
09-12-2010, 10:30 PM
I see that there are now four entries for that division. Not counting the known double entry, there seem to be 158 entries in the main event now, of which 10 are players doubling up, so there are 148 players. Good stuff.

And another entry to the Under 8 girls today, theonly entry on the website today. Well done on counting the players doubling up, I had not even bothered trying.
Scott

Kevin Bonham
09-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Well done on counting the players doubling up, I had not even bothered trying.

I did it what I think was the easy (or at least the most reliable) way - copied and pasted all the entries as unicode text into Excel then sort by firstname and surname, scroll down and find all the duplicates. :lol:

Oepty
10-12-2010, 01:04 AM
I did it what I think was the easy (or at least the most reliable) way - copied and pasted all the entries as unicode text into Excel then sort by firstname and surname, scroll down and find all the duplicates. :lol:

Clever, had not thought of that.
Scott

Bereaved
11-12-2010, 12:03 AM
Is there anybody from VIC can offer homestay to Pengyu CHEN who intended to attend U18 in AJCC? He is 14 years old (ACF 1977 FIDE 1977) and need to take in and out the game. In return, we can offer accomedation in Sydney when needed. It is perfect if some person also join U18 or U16 in AJCC so the time shuold be almost same. Please contact Rong on 02 9478 4070(B) or 0414 258 351 or email chenqianson@hotmail.com to discuss.

Hello Mr Chen,

in this thread

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=12532

an offer of home stay was made, though for money, but it might still be what you are looking for?

here is the text of the #1 post in the above thread

Accommodation for AJCC - 3 places only
Hi everyone, October is almost over and the AJCC will be upon us before we know it! As posted earlier, my family and I are offering full board and supervision for three interstate participants in the 2011 Australian Junior Chess Championship (AJCC) from Saturday 15th of January to Sunday 23rd January 2011 (9 days). I am a Junior chess coach and registered teacher. Participants will be accommodated in a spacious, clean, modern bedroom with polished floors in our safe, friendly family home with my son, David Cannon (8 years old and who uses the online name "davidiscool"), who is also participating in the AJCC. David came 3rd in the AJCC U10 in 2010 and first in the Victorian U8 Champion in 2009. My older son, Jonothan, just won first place in the Victorian Youth Chess Championship 2010. Jonothan is also a Chess coach. Facilities include internet connection, air-conditioning / ducted heating and TV. Upon arrival in Melbourne, I will pick participants up from the airport and drop them back at the airport after the event is over. All meals and full supervision are provided. Chess coaching, entertainment, and chess education and fun activities are included. This offer it is an ideal chance for your child to live away from home in a warm, happy, safe chess-playing family environment with other young chess players. Sensible bed times, healthy meals and good behaviour are the top priorities to make this a memorable fun experience. For further details and costs, contact Jim Cannon: jimphd2000@yahoo.com.

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

yewsze
13-12-2010, 12:59 PM
As of 13th December 2010, we have 167 entries competing in 12 division. Keep the entries coming people!

yewsze
13-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Hi All,

I thought that there should be a new thread for anyone who is looking for billeting AND anyone who are considering offering billeting during the Australian Junior Chess Championship 2011, Billanook College, 15th ~ 23rd January 2011.

Please provide your name, contact, e-mail and clarify if it is a paid service and what is being provided e.g. airport pick up and drop off, food, accommodation, transportation, coaching etc.

p.s. Please communicate your requirements and make sure there are no mis-communications/ mis-understanding.

Happy Billeting!

Bill Gletsos
18-12-2010, 12:25 PM
All posters are reminded to keep this thread clear of advertising coaching for the AJCC.

All coaching offers should be made in the AJCC Coaching thread here (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=12625).

Oepty
18-12-2010, 11:11 PM
The entries have now reached 173 with the entry of Yi Yuan making this the second biggest ever juniors in terms of entries. It is going to be an excellent series of tournaments so it is certainly worth entering.
Scott

yewsze
19-12-2010, 04:48 PM
The AJCC 2011 Committee have decided that all junior Title Holder will play for free at the AJCC 2011 Main Tournament.

Kevin Bonham
19-12-2010, 05:15 PM
The AJCC 2011 Committee have decided that all junior Title Holder will play for free at the AJCC 2011 Main Tournament.

Am I correct that this means FM, IM, WFM etc? In my experience with selections, people sometimes find the term "title holder" or "titles held" ambiguous and will think it also refers to the reigning champions in particular divisions.

mikesguns
19-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Am I correct that this means FM, IM, WFM etc? In my experience with selections, people sometimes find the term "title holder" or "titles held" ambiguous and will think it also refers to the reigning champions in particular divisions.
How about CM?

yewsze
22-12-2010, 09:20 AM
How about CM?
Just to clarify, if you are currently holding a FIDE Title which includes GM, WGM, IM, WIM, FM, WFM, CM, WCM and you are under 18 years old as of 1st January 2011, you will play for free at the AJCC 2011 Tournament.

This excludes the Problem Solving and Lightning Tournament.

We want to honour those who have worked hard to achive a FIDE Title.

Garvinator
22-12-2010, 09:48 AM
We want to honour those who have worked hard to achive a FIDE Title.And how about all those players who have worked really hard to get a higher rating than those with some of these titles? Do they get free entry also?

ER
22-12-2010, 10:57 AM
And how about all those players who have worked really hard to get a higher rating than those with some of these titles? Do they get free entry also?

And how about those who try to invent a problem even if there isn't one? :hmm: :lol:

Kevin Bonham
22-12-2010, 10:58 AM
And how about all those players who have worked really hard to get a higher rating than those with some of these titles?

Apart from males with a higher rating than some of the female titles is that an issue at all as regards the present or prospective field?

MichaelBaron
24-12-2010, 01:08 AM
I think Bobby Cheng will win it comfortably...particularly unless James Morris enters. Good to know the title will stay in Victoria :owned:

SHump
27-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Just for those that are thinking of entering but have not done so, there will be a late fee applied for entries received from 1 Jan. To quote the site:

Entry fees are discounted by $25 for payments made before 1 December 2010, while there is a small late fee of $15 applied for payments made between 1-8 January 2011

At last count, there are 189 championship entries! U18/U16 = 41, U14/U12=86, U10/U8=62

yewsze
29-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Does anyone know if this is the biggest AJCC in Australia history? As of today, we curently have 191 entrants for the 12 division (including a few juniors participating both in the U8-U10 & U12 -U14), 88 entrants for the Lightning & 63 for the problem solving. This does not include the Rapid Tournament, because the playing schedule does not allow for it.

Ninja
29-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Does anyone know if this is the biggest AJCC in Australia history? As of today, we curently have 191 entrants for the 12 division (including a few juniors participating both in the U8-U10 & U12 -U14), 88 entrants for the Lightning & 63 for the problem solving. This does not include the Rapid Tournament, because the playing schedule does not allow for it.

As posted earlier by Libby, Canberra 2007 was 210
Next biggest was 166, so need another 20 to be the largest :P
Edit:Actually 172 as pointed out by Scott:lol:

Oepty
29-12-2010, 06:24 PM
As posted earlier by Libby, Canberra 2007 was 210
Next biggest was 166, so need another 20 to be the largest :P

You are right the biggest was Canberra with 210, but the second biggest was 172 as I posted earlier.
Scott

SHump
30-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Well, I am pleased that the estimate of 192 championship entries was pretty close to the (current 191) entries received (see post #68). And although the spread of numbers across the 12 divisions is probably not as per the estimate, the total numbers are there.

I know the event is still to happen, and this being the calm before the storm, but I want to at this time thank the AJCC2011 committee for getting us this far already. Unfortunately I have moved across the ditch and cannot provide any physical help. But I am sure the event will be well run, based on the effort so far put into the planning and the keenness of the volunteers involved.

Oepty
31-12-2010, 07:51 PM
There are now 200 entries on the website with Michael Chan being the 200th entrant.
I believe normal entry fees end tonight will end tonight, with late entries extending to the 8th of January. Still time to get your entry in.
A great effort by the organisers to attract so many juniors, well done.
Scott

yewsze
02-01-2011, 08:54 PM
The latest entrant is James Morris bringing the total entrants to 203.

Oepty
02-01-2011, 09:57 PM
The latest entrant is James Morris bringing the total entrants to 203.

This means the top 6 juniors and 9 out of the top 11 will be playing. A very tough juniors.
Scott

Kevin Bonham
02-01-2011, 10:01 PM
This means the top 6 juniors and 9 out of the top 11 will be playing. A very tough juniors.

Excellent stuff; great to see a crack field at the top again.

berniechau
03-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Because the u16 has only 11 poeple, does that mean it will have a round robin?

or will it combine into becoming only one group tournment with the u18 pool?

thanks
bernie

Oepty
03-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Because the u16 has only 11 poeple, does that mean it will have a round robin?

or will it combine into becoming only one group tournment with the u18 pool?

thanks
bernie

Bernie, as entries are still open it is too early too decide what is going to happen, there still might be more entries.
Scott

ChessGuru
05-01-2011, 08:44 AM
With regards to the question of the biggest AJ - can anyone post here which event had the largest number of INTERSTATE participants?

Libby2
05-01-2011, 12:35 PM
With regards to the question of the biggest AJ - can anyone post here which event had the largest number of INTERSTATE participants?

Of the 210 in Canberra, I believe we had 70 local entries, so 140 travellers.

In putting together a plan for that event I found that recent events were attracting a similar number of locals (70-ish of totals around 150-160). It did give me some concern as I wasn't sure we would attract a similar local entries in Canberra to those raised in states like Qld and NSW.

Libby

ChessGuru
06-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Canberra 2007 - Local 70, Travelers 140
Hobart 2010 - Local 23, Travelers 96
Melbourne 2011 - Local 135, Travelers 70

There has been a significant change to the format (greatly reducing number of days)....

What was the planned outcome of the format change?
Has the change worked?
Is the cost to the players of multiple games per day worth the benefit?

Oepty
06-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Canberra 2007 - Local 70, Travelers 140
Hobart 2010 - Local 23, Travelers 96
Melbourne 2011 - Local 135, Travelers 70

There has been a significant change to the format (greatly reducing number of days)....

Has the change worked?

David, from the discussion at the AusJCL AGM one of the reason for it was to get more numbers. It was thought that shorter events would ease some of the cost on traveling parents. The numbers are certainly up, although it was always going to happen with the return to a larger population base following Adelaide and Hobart. When trying to compare numbers you need to take into account that the change of format allows for some juniors to double up with two tournaments which may give a bit of a bais towards locals figures. I would expect the ratio of travellers to be lower when the tournament is in Sydney or Melbourne because of the loss of one of the largest cities that people could travel from. I think the fact that Australian Open and associated events are in Sydney means that the juniors in Sydney have a strong competition they can play in without travelling so that lowers possible travellers. Lastly I think the fact there was 70 locals from Canberra in 2007 shows what a magnificant state junior chess in the ACT was in at the time given the much smaller population they had to draw from.
Overall though it is still too early to tell whether the new format is a success but I doubt you can call it a failure at this stage.
Have you worked out the figures for 2008 in Sydney? They would be interesting.
Futher discussion of format really needs to be put in its own thread.
Scott

Bill Gletsos
06-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Have you worked out the figures for 2008 in Sydney? They would be interesting.
Sydney 2008 - Local 81, Travellers 87

Garvinator
06-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Has the change worked?
A better question is, what is your answer to these questions that you have asked.

Oepty
06-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Sydney 2008 - Local 81, Travellers 87

Thank you Bill

Oepty
09-01-2011, 10:58 AM
The entry deadline has now passed and there are 208 entries in the main tournaments. These come from 199 entrants as 9 players are entered in two tournaments. An excellent number of entries for what is looking to be a excellent series of tournaments.
Scott

mikesguns
09-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Any news on which sections will be combined?

Garvinator
09-01-2011, 11:08 PM
That would not be decided until everyone is registered at the venue.

Miranda
10-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Is there a timetable out yet for the shuttle bus from the train station to the venue?

SHump
11-01-2011, 05:58 AM
Is there a timetable out yet for the shuttle bus from the train station to the venue?
A timetable is attached here. The AJCC web site will be updated soon I hope. The shuttle schedule will I hope also go out via the AJCC 2011 email newsletter (to those registered on it).

SHump
11-01-2011, 06:17 AM
Talking in no AJCC official capacity, but it is fairly obvious that only the U16 Open section (11 entries) and some Girls sections are in some need of action to be taken (for the default of a 9 round swiss). The U18, U16 girls (4 and 4 entrants respectively) would probably be combined, in some form - double round robin??. The U14 girls (6 entrants) and the U12 girls (14 entrants) is a bit more problematic re combining. The U10, U8 girls (9 and 3 entrants respectively) would probably be combined. But hey, I am no expert!

As the U18 and U16 play over the 9 days, and the U14 and U12 over 5 days, and the U10 and U8 over 3 (different) days then for instance the U10 ans U8 cannot play with the U12 (girls).

The DOP/arbiter will need to work this out very soon.

ChessGuru
11-01-2011, 05:22 PM
A better question is, what is your answer to these questions that you have asked.

I'm very keen to hear other views, but for those who are interested I will give my opinion:

I don't know for sure; I assume to get more players. I think that the AJCL is a bit confused as to their core purpose and their objectives for this event. I think they want it to be everything to all people (the strongest possible event, but also a mass-participation event). IMO it is better to focus.

Has the change worked?

If the objective was increased numbers then I think it has been clearly demonstrated that the number of days is NOT the main factor influencing numbers. I think location/convenience is a bigger factor.

Depends on the objective of the event.

If the objective is to provide the best possible opportunity for our young talent to compete against each other (seen as a preliminary event to World Junior or Aus Open/Championships) then I think that it is NOT a good idea to sacrifice the needs of the better players for the convenience of the lower rated.

If the objective is to get as many people as possible playing then the sacrifice of quality for duration is fine - but don't expect the best players to participate or treat it as important. IF it worked and we got 300-500 players.

Ninja
11-01-2011, 08:27 PM
I'm very keen to hear other views, but for those who are interested I will give my opinion:Your views seem to be consistent as far as being critical about anything that does not put money in your pocket:hmm: Your absence from a list of sponsors which includes most of your local competition plus quite a few of your interstate competitors says a lot about your business.

Is the cost to the players of multiple games per day worth the benefit? Don't try so hard to show people how little you understand.Try reading the schedule. In the main event there is one day where there is a double round. Same as every other year.

If the objective is to provide the best possible opportunity for our young talent to compete against each other (seen as a preliminary event to World Junior or Aus Open/Championships) then I think that it is NOT a good idea to sacrifice the needs of the better players for the convenience of the lower rated.Again, no one know what you are talking about:hmm:

but don't expect the best players to participate or treat it as important.
As noted earlier by Scott, seems you have that bit wrong too :whistle:

Scott

I don't know for sure;
Not quite in the order you wrote it, but seems to sum up both your post and your contribution to chess in Australia in general.:wall:

Ninja
11-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Does anyone know if this is the biggest AJCC in Australia history?
The website now shows 210 entries in the main tournaments which puts it equal with the previous highest number at Canberra.

Oepty
11-01-2011, 09:08 PM
The website now shows 210 entries in the main tournaments which puts it equal with the previous highest number at Canberra.

Yes a couple more entries have been added to the list in the last couple of days, so 210 entries from 201 entrants.

Hopefully the flooding in Queensland will not cause any withdraws, but it would be entirely understandable if they are impacted by the flooding. I wish all the Queensland entries and their families a safe trip as they travel to Melbourne for the juniors at such a difficult time.
Scott

Garvinator
11-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Yes a couple more entries have been added to the list in the last couple of days, so 210 entries from 201 entrants.

Hopefully the flooding in Queensland will not cause any withdraws, but it would be entirely understandable if they are impacted by the flooding. I wish all the Queensland entries and their families a safe trip as they travel to Melbourne for the juniors at such a difficult time.Getting out could be just as big an issue for those going to Melbourne.

Garvinator
11-01-2011, 10:03 PM
From my understanding when the idea of changing the format of the Aus Juniors was being considered, there were two main goals:

1) To change the age divisions so they aligned with how most of the overseas junior age events are run, especially the World Youth and World Juniors. Which is to play in divisions of U18, U16, U14.

2) To make it a maximum participation event for as many people as possible, while still retaining the elite aspect for the top age divisions. I think the changes to the younger age divisions have been very good ones.

Not so sure about the older age divisions, but they do not seem to have been harmed.

Oepty
11-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Getting out could be just as big an issue for those going to Melbourne.

Is Brisbane airport likely to close? if so it will not only be an issue for players going to the juniors but players returning from the open.
Scott

EDIT: Should have done a search before I asked the question. This link, http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/brisbane-airport-to-stay-open-amid-queensland-flood-crisis/story-fn7ikbtj-1225985852571 seems to indicate it will stay open

Garvinator
11-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Is Brisbane airport likely to close? if so it will not only be an issue for players going to the juniors but players returning from the open.
Brisbane airport was still operating at 6:15pm Brisbane time, but who knows by tomorrow. I think it will almost certainly be closed at some stage.

There is a large creek that runs right next to the airport, plus the airport is located at the mouth of the Brisbane river and Moreton Bay, so flooding is only going to get worse in that area as all the water heads for Moreton Bay.

SHump
12-01-2011, 06:07 AM
Our company has put out a travel advisory, asking to not fly to Bris unless it is urgent. I guess the Gold Coast would be an alternate airport?

For updates on the status of Brisbane Airport please refer to: www.bne.com.au

SHump
12-01-2011, 06:13 AM
The event schedule has been refreshed and is available on the web site so that you can download (http://www.ajcc2011.com.au/PHITE.php?sitesig=PT&page=PT_SUB&subpage=PT_060_Schedule). The version that went out with the newsletter (edition 2) had some date issues, now corrected. I would attach it here, but it is 200K (why do we have a 100K limit for pdfs?).

Desmond
12-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Brisbane airport was still operating at 6:15pm Brisbane time, but who knows by tomorrow. I think it will almost certainly be closed at some stage.

There is a large creek that runs right next to the airport, plus the airport is located at the mouth of the Brisbane river and Moreton Bay, so flooding is only going to get worse in that area as all the water heads for Moreton Bay.As of early this morning:

Brisbane Airport to stay open amid Queensland flood crisis (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/brisbane-airport-to-stay-open-amid-queensland-flood-crisis/story-e6frf7l6-1225985961912)

BRISBANE Airport is expected to remain open throughout the flood crisis, authorities say.
The airport was affected by relatively few delays yesterday, with those that did impact passengers blamed on lightning which forced baggage handlers to shelter indoors.

Two aircraft were forced to sit on the asphalt for about half an hour after landing because of the situation.

Rain lashed the airport's runways, causing a small amount of standing water on their fringes.

But a Brisbane Airport spokeswoman said the medium-term prognosis for flights looked reasonably good, despite the flooding predicted to affect large parts of the city.

"Obviously we don't want to pre-empt anything, but we've done the modelling and we think we'll be able to stay open, even on Thursday when the worst flooding is forecast," she said.

"It's gone really well today, despite the weather."

There were erroneous postings on the social networking site Twitter that the airport had shut.

About 40,000 properties across Brisbane are anticipated to be affected by flooding in coming days.

River levels are expected to peak on Thursday beyond the levels seen during the catastrophic 1974 flood

Oepty
12-01-2011, 10:36 PM
There is now 212 entries from 203 entrants on the offical website.
Scott

Garvinator
13-01-2011, 03:47 AM
Our company has put out a travel advisory, asking to not fly to Bris unless it is urgent. I guess the Gold Coast would be an alternate airport?

For updates on the status of Brisbane Airport please refer to: www.bne.com.au
Gold Coast airport is over 100kms away from Brisbane Airport. Depending on where a person would need to go in Brisbane, going to Sunshine Coast Airport could be a better option.

The travel advisory would be more about just avoiding Brisbane all together, rather than difficulties accessing the airport.

that Caesar guy
14-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Just a quick question, will we have live games for the Aus Juniors? It would be pretty nice to get some DGT boards for the top boards in the divisions, they make me feel good when I play on them ;) ahaha

Lekko
14-01-2011, 12:36 AM
Just a quick question, will we have live games for the Aus Juniors? It would be pretty nice to get some DGT boards for the top boards in the divisions, they make me feel good when I play on them ;) ahaha
Oh sure, when I try to get you on the DGT board at MCC to play Goldenberg you try to get out of it. But at the aus juniors you want the whole of Australia to see you play FFFFFFFFFF >_<

that Caesar guy
14-01-2011, 12:40 AM
Oh sure, when I try to get you on the DGT board at MCC to play Goldenberg you try to get out of it. But at the aus juniors you want the whole of Australia to see you play FFFFFFFFFF >_<
Lol but its not so much the fact that I want everyone to watch me play utter crap, I just like the feel of the pieces! :P

flushfyre
14-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Is there any possibility of having a TV somewhere for players interested in the Australian Open tennis?

Denis_Jessop
14-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Is there any possibility of having a TV somewhere for players interested in the Australian Open tennis?

And a couple of billiard tables, some packs of cards and a casino for bored parents? :D :D :hmm:

DJ

mikesguns
14-01-2011, 08:06 PM
And a couple of billiard tables, some packs of cards and a casino for bored parents? :D :D :hmm:

DJ
And for the kids as well, well the older ones anyway

Oepty
15-01-2011, 08:55 AM
I am at the venue of the juniors with the ussaul buzz as players register. The Opening ceremony is about to start. Pairing will be up on the offical site as soon as they are done and I will post a link here as soon as I can.
As expected the U16 and U18 girls and the U10 and U8 girls tournaments have been combined.
Scott

Ron
15-01-2011, 10:59 AM
I am at the venue of the juniors with the ussaul buzz as players register. The Opening ceremony is about to start. Pairing will be up on the offical site as soon as they are done and I will post a link here as soon as I can.
As expected the U16 and U18 girls and the U10 and U8 girls tournaments have been combined.
Scott
:)

Oepty
15-01-2011, 01:07 PM
There is trouble updating the website from the tournament venue. There is an internet connection but it will not allow the website to be updated. Nothing will be on the website until tonight, sorry. I will try and get what I can up on here, but I am having to look after tournaments at the moment.
Scott

Ron
15-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Nothing will be on the website until tonight,
Scott
:(

Oepty
15-01-2011, 03:29 PM
1 Cheng, Bobby VIC 2335 2207 [0] 1:0 Dale, Ari VIC 1848 1621 [0]
2 Bhattacharya, Devraj VIC 1848 1522 [0] 0:1 Morris, James VIC 2270 2190 [0]
3 Tan, Justin VIC 2161 2067 [0] 1:0 Lai, Gene VIC 1815 1598 [0]
4 Feng, Thomas VIC 1778 1661 [0] 0:1 Schon, Eugene VIC 2157 2153 [0]
5 Yuan, Yi ACT 2124 2105 [0] 1:0 Ng, Isaac VIC 1757 1766 [0]
6 Hayman, Adam VIC 1669 1483 [0] 0:1 Matheson, Laurence VIC 2101 2043 [0]
7 Tang, Jason VIC 1988 1961 [0] 1:0 Gibson, Kyle VIC 1647 1530 [0]
8 Zelesco, Karl VIC 1647 [0] 1:0 Chen, Peng Yu NSW 1977 1977 [0]
9 Liu, Yi (1997) QLD 1946 1886 [0] 1:0 Tang, Jonathan VIC 1644 [0]
10 Daenke, Stephen SA 1569 [0] .5:.5 Wang, Oscar NSW 1942 1801 [0]
11 Deen-Cowell, Nicholas NSW 1917 1722 [0] .5:.5 Topol, David VIC 1435 [0]
12 Qin, Tomson VIC 1028 [0] 0:1 Vijayakumar, Rengan VIC 1865 1704 [0]
13 Addamo, Michael VIC 1865 1641 [0] 1:0 Boon, Mark WA [0]
14 Spencer, Benjamin VIC [0] 0:1 Chan, Michael VIC 1855 1811 [0]

Oepty
15-01-2011, 03:33 PM
1 Tang, Jason VIC 1988 1961 [1] : Cheng, Bobby VIC 2335 2207 [1]
2 Morris, James VIC 2270 2190 [1] : Liu, Yi (1997) QLD 1946 1886 [1]
3 Vijayakumar, Rengan VIC 1865 1704 [1] : Tan, Justin VIC 2161 2067 [1]
4 Schon, Eugene VIC 2157 2153 [1] : Addamo, Michael VIC 1865 1641 [1]
5 Chan, Michael VIC 1855 1811 [1] : Yuan, Yi ACT 2124 2105 [1]
6 Matheson, Laurence VIC 2101 2043 [1] : Zelesco, Karl VIC 1647 [1]
7 Wang, Oscar NSW 1942 1801 [.5] : Deen-Cowell, Nicholas NSW 1917 1722 [.5]
8 Chen, Peng Yu NSW 1977 1977 [0] : Daenke, Stephen SA 1569 [.5]
9 Dale, Ari VIC 1848 1621 [0] : Hayman, Adam VIC 1669 1483 [0]
10 Gibson, Kyle VIC 1647 1530 [0] : Bhattacharya, Devraj VIC 1848 1522 [0]
11 Lai, Gene VIC 1815 1598 [0] : Tang, Jonathan VIC 1644 [0]
12 Boon, Mark WA [0] : Feng, Thomas VIC 1778 1661 [0]
13 Ng, Isaac VIC 1757 1766 [0] : Spencer, Benjamin VIC [0]
14 Qin, Tomson VIC 1028 [0] 1:0 BYE
15 Topol, David VIC 1435 [.5] .5:.5 BYE

Oepty
15-01-2011, 03:36 PM
15 Fan, Kevin E VIC 1382 [0] .5:.5 Cameron, Alistair SA 1827 [0]
16 Chau, Bernard NSW 1715 [0] 1:0 O'Rourke, Ryan (1996) NSW 1342 [0]
17 Ng, Joshua VIC 1321 [0] 1:0 Hibberd, Nathan VIC 1566 [0]
18 Simmonds, Leteisha QLD 1483 [0] 1:0 Yung, Cameron VIC 983 [0]
19 Li, Justin VIC [0] 0:1 Li, Tim NSW 1445 [0]
20 Kanagarajah, Abbie QLD 1392 [0] 1:0 Osborne, Darcy VIC [0]
21 Cook, Jamie VIC 628 [0] 1:0 BYE

Oepty
15-01-2011, 03:38 PM
15 Kanagarajah, Abbie QLD 1392 [1] : Chau, Bernard NSW 1715 [1]
16 Cook, Jamie VIC 628 [1] : Simmonds, Leteisha QLD 1483 [1]
17 Li, Tim NSW 1445 [1] : Ng, Joshua VIC 1321 [1]
18 Cameron, Alistair SA 1827 [.5] : Hibberd, Nathan VIC 1566 [0]
19 O'Rourke, Ryan (1996) NSW 1342 [0] : Fan, Kevin E VIC 1382 [.5]
20 Yung, Cameron VIC 983 [0] : Li, Justin VIC [0]
21 Osborne, Darcy VIC [0] 1:0 BYE

Oepty
15-01-2011, 03:43 PM
15 Fan, Enoch VIC 1457 [0] 1:0 Fu, Chris VIC [0]
16 Galliamov, Arseny SA [0] 0:1 Lim, Ethan VIC 1131 [0]
17 Cannon, David VIC 1064 [0] 1:0 Guo, Zhi Xin VIC [0]
18 Jones, Hamish VIC [0] 0:1 Willathgamuwa, Rowan NSW 850 [0]
19 Song, Kevin QLD 768 [0] 0:1 Karassoulos, George SA [0]
20 Lee, Leon QLD [0] 0:1 Han, Denny SA 741 [0]
21 Bhat, Vishal VIC 636 [0] 1:0 Lindstrom, Sebastian VIC [0]
22 Maligin, William VIC [0] 1:0 Chang, William VIC 629 [0]
23 Moser, Nicolas OS [0] 1:0 Fay, Jamie VIC 324 [0]
24 Beaumont, Archer VIC [0] 0:1 Moskvichev, Peter SA [0]
25 Patnaikuni, Jay VIC [0] 0:1 Bock, Magnus VIC [0]
26 Boss, Daniel VIC [0] 0:1 Petashvili, Daniel SA [0]
27 Salasan, Haran VIC [0] 1:0 Chan, Kris VIC [0]
28 Chen, Eric VIC [0] 0:1 Simpson, Max VIC [0]
29 Soo, Oliver VIC [0] 1:0 Ding, Adison VIC [0]
30 Dingfelder, Carl VIC [0] 1:0 Tan, Sean VIC [0]
31 Yang, Adam VIC [0] 0:1 Fragos, Dimitri VIC [0]
32 Loucas, Carl VIC 514 [0] 1:0 BYE

Oepty
15-01-2011, 03:45 PM
15 Fragos, Dimitri VIC [1] 0:1 Fan, Enoch VIC 1457 [1]
16 Lim, Ethan VIC 1131 [1] .5:.5 Maligin, William VIC [1]
17 Karassoulos, George SA [1] 0:1 Cannon, David VIC 1064 [1]
18 Willathgamuwa, Rowan NSW 850 [1] 0:1 Moser, Nicolas OS [1]
19 Han, Denny SA 741 [1] 1:0 Salasan, Haran VIC [1]
20 Moskvichev, Peter SA [1] 0:1 Bhat, Vishal VIC 636 [1]
21 Petashvili, Daniel SA [1] 0:1 Loucas, Carl VIC 514 [1]
22 Bock, Magnus VIC [1] 1:0 Soo, Oliver VIC [1]
23 Simpson, Max VIC [1] 0:1 Dingfelder, Carl VIC [1]
24 Guo, Zhi Xin VIC [0] 0:1 Song, Kevin QLD 768 [0]
25 Chang, William VIC 629 [0] 1:0 Galliamov, Arseny SA [0]
26 Fay, Jamie VIC 324 [0] 1:0 Jones, Hamish VIC [0]
27 Lindstrom, Sebastian VIC [0] 1:0 Beaumont, Archer VIC [0]
28 Rajagopalan, Srivaths VIC [0] 1:0 Boss, Daniel VIC [0]
29 Chan, Kris VIC [0] 0:1 Lee, Leon QLD [0]
30 Tan, Sean VIC [0] 1:0 Chen, Eric VIC [0]
31 Ding, Adison VIC [0] 1:0 Patnaikuni, Jay VIC [0]
32 Fu, Chris VIC [0] 1:0 Yang, Adam VIC [0]

Oepty
15-01-2011, 03:53 PM
8 Chan, Luis VIC [0] 0:1 Willathgamuwa, Kevin NSW 1052 [0]
9 Lin, Kerry NSW 394 [0] 1:0 Patnaikuni, Ryan VIC [0]
10 McConnell, Matthew QLD [0] 1:0 Demmert, Heath VIC [0]
11 Larder, Alexander QLD [0] 0:1 Durden, Sam QLD [0]
12 Yu, Bobby VIC [0] 1:0 Li, Ruimin VIC [0]
13 Kwe, James VIC [0] 0:1 McConnell, Harrison QLD [0]
14 Simpson, Zac VIC [0] 0:1 Weeraratne, Ken VIC [0]
15 Zhang, Tianli VIC [0] 1:0 BYE

Oepty
15-01-2011, 03:55 PM
8 Willathgamuwa, Kevin NSW 1052 [1] 1:0 Yu, Bobby VIC [1]
9 Durden, Sam QLD [1] 0:1 Lin, Kerry NSW 394 [1]
10 Weeraratne, Ken VIC [1] 1:0 Zhang, Tianli VIC [1]
11 McConnell, Harrison QLD [1] 0:1 McConnell, Matthew QLD [1]
12 Demmert, Heath VIC [0] 0:1 Kwe, James VIC [0]
13 Patnaikuni, Ryan VIC [0] 1:0 Larder, Alexander QLD [0]
14 Li, Ruimin VIC [0] 0:1 Chan, Luis VIC [0]
15 Simpson, Zac VIC [0] 1:0 BYE

Oepty
15-01-2011, 04:00 PM
1 Shan, Grace NSW 360 [0] 0:1 Lin, Emily VIC [0]
2 Kethseeswaran, Asvini VIC [0] 0:1 Durden, Denali QLD 352 [0]
3 Middleton, Jody VIC 283 [0] 1:0 Kelly, Rose VIC [0]
4 Zelesco, Mia VIC [0] .5:.5 Fan, Phoebe VIC [0]
5 Derwent, Hannah ACT [0] 1:0 Mendes, Amelia VIC [0]
6 Wong, Althea VIC [0] .5:.5 Kelly, Jasmine VIC [0]
7 Perera, Yuvini TAS [0] 1:0 BYE

Oepty
15-01-2011, 04:08 PM
1 Durden, Denali QLD 352 [1] 0:1 Derwent, Hannah ACT [1]
2 Perera, Yuvini TAS [1] 1:0 Middleton, Jody VIC 283 [1]
3 Lin, Emily VIC [1] 1:0 Wong, Althea VIC [.5]
4 Kelly, Jasmine VIC [.5] 0:1 Zelesco, Mia VIC [.5]
5 Fan, Phoebe VIC [.5] 1:0 Shan, Grace NSW 360 [0]
6 Kelly, Rose VIC [0] .5:.5 Zhang, Emily VIC [0]
7 Mendes, Amelia VIC [0] .5:.5 Kethseeswaran, Asvini VIC [0]

gbekker
15-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Thanks for posting the results Scott. The tournament venue and conditions seem excellent.

When will the games be posted? Will a "Games" link be added to the http://ajcc2011.com.au site soon?

Cheers,

Gary Bekker :-)

Kevin Bonham
15-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Would be very good to see games from the higher divisions but unless there are a heck of a lot of helpers on hand I'd be surprised to see games from the lower divisions up quickly. The U8s and U10s are playing 3 games a day which by my count means well over 100 games were played today.

Taigastyle
15-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Would be very good to see games from the higher divisions but unless there are a heck of a lot of helpers on hand I'd be surprised to see games from the lower divisions up quickly. The U8s and U10s are playing 3 games a day which by my count means well over 100 games were played today.

The kids are actually being encouraged with lollies to enter their games onto the system.

Kevin Bonham
15-01-2011, 06:53 PM
The kids are actually being encouraged with lollies to enter their games onto the system.

Yes, this sort of thing usually gets a pretty good response rate (we just used entry into a daily prize draw and about two-thirds were entered by players). Nonetheless we found at the last Aus Junior that there was still a lot of work to do in terms of entering games missed out, uniforming formats, compiling games off different computers and so on.

I'll be interested to see what impact the multi-games per day thing has on players' willingness to enter in their games, if any.

Oepty
15-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Results and pairings are now on the website.
Scott

Tony Dowden
15-01-2011, 09:45 PM
What about the U14 Open? (No results for this - unless I'm missing something?)

Up-date: :lol: Eventually I cunningly looked at the schedule only to discover the U14 doesn't start for another few days!

Carl Gorka
15-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Can't get any internet access at the venue until at least Monday, so I won't be blogging (http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/) live until then....at least :D

Good luck to all the competitors :)

Adamski
15-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Results and pairings are now on the website.
Scott
Thanks, Scott. I saw your shout about internet access difficulties at the venue so I am sure I speak for us all when I say we appreciate your speed in getting results up on the site as well a posting them here. Well done!:clap:

Kevin Bonham
16-01-2011, 12:22 AM
This message was seen in the shoutbox in the other forum but may be more likely to find its way to its intended recipient if posted here:

Yi Lui, Under 18. It was nice to see you in Melbourne. I am also so proud of you and thanking you for giving me a call to let me know your achievements in chess in Queensland, sorry to hear about the flooding hope your mum , dad and baby brother are all ok. You are so grown up now. Remember going to Box Hill Chess club every Friday night for a year. See you next week for dinner. Toni

SHump
16-01-2011, 04:56 AM
The AJCC web site now has the following on it:

1) Pairings/Results now published and up to date.
2) Games will gradually make their way on the website. So far - Round 1 U18 Open, U10 Open, U8 Open
3) Photos for Day 1 published.

There are lots of great photos there already! This wonderful collection of photos from the Australian Junior Chess Championships has been made possible by the generosity of Raelene Zelesco. Raelene is bravely heading the photographer team during AJCC 2011, and kindly hosting the gallery and making the photos available for download.

ER
16-01-2011, 08:33 AM
The AJCC web site now has the following on it:
(...)

There are lots of great photos there already! This wonderful collection of photos from the Australian Junior Chess Championships has been made possible by the generosity of Raelene Zelesco. Raelene is bravely heading the photographer team during AJCC 2011, and kindly hosting the gallery and making the photos available for download.

It's a great pleasure to have Raelene's work published here
Raelene, mum of one of Victoria's most promising juniors - Karl Zelesco - is champion photographer.
Her photos, capturing feelings and emotions as well as the general ambience of the tournaments she covers, would be greatly appreciated here and thanks SHump for this very important announcement!

PS
SHumps, please provide the Championships' website everytime you publish something about this very important event! thanks! :)

Oepty
16-01-2011, 09:15 AM
Board 1 Under 18s

Jason Tang - Bobby Cheng 0-1

1. d4 e6 2. c4 f5 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Bg5 Bb4 5. Qb3 a5 6. a3 a4 7.Qc2 Bxc3 8. Qxc3 d6 9. f3 h6 10. Bh4 Qe7 11. e3 e5 12. 0-0-0 Nc6 13. Bf2 0-0 14. Bd3 Na5 15. Ne2 c5 16. Rhe1 e4 17. Bc2 Be6 18. d5 Bd7 19. Nf4 Qe5 20. Kd2 Rfb8 21. Bg3 b5 22. cxb5 Rxb5 23. Qxe5 dxe5 24. Ng6 Nc4+ 25. Kc3 Nxb2 26. Rd2 Nd3 27. Bxd3 Rb3+ 28. Kc2 exd3+ 29. Rxd3 f4 30. exf4 Rab8 31. fxe5 Nxd5 32. e6 Rb2+ 33. Kd1 Rb1+ 34. Ke2 Rb3+ 35. Kf1 Bb5 36. e7 Bxd3+ 37. Kg1 Rxe1+ 0-1

Ian CCC
16-01-2011, 09:18 AM
While talking of Karl Zelesco, congratulations to him on his "upset" win in Round 1 of the U18's. :clap:

Unfortunately, the current published version of the ending of his game against Peng Yu Chen doesn't make a lot of sense - perhaps someone there, when they have time (!), could check the score of the game.

By the way, the first day results are here. http://ajcc2011.com.au/PHITE.php?sitesig=PT&page=PT_SUB&subpage=PT_001_Results

Oepty
16-01-2011, 10:13 AM
While talking of Karl Zelesco, congratulations to him on his "upset" win in Round 1 of the U18's. :clap:

Unfortunately, the current published version of the ending of his game against Peng Yu Chen doesn't make a lot of sense - perhaps someone there, when they have time (!), could check the score of the game.

By the way, the first day results are here. http://ajcc2011.com.au/PHITE.php?sitesig=PT&page=PT_SUB&subpage=PT_001_Results

Hello Ian, I will follow this up when I get a chance.
Scott

Oepty
16-01-2011, 01:48 PM
1 Tang, Jason VIC 1988 1961 [1] 0:1 Cheng, Bobby VIC 2335 2207 [1]
2 Morris, James VIC 2270 2190 [1] 1:0 Liu, Yi (1997) QLD 1946 1886 [1]
3 Vijayakumar, Rengan VIC 1865 1704 [1] 0:1 Tan, Justin VIC 2161 2067 [1]
4 Schon, Eugene VIC 2157 2153 [1] 1:0 Addamo, Michael VIC 1865 1641 [1]
5 Chan, Michael VIC 1855 1811 [1] 0:1 Yuan, Yi ACT 2124 2105 [1]
6 Matheson, Laurence VIC 2101 2043 [1] 1:0 Zelesco, Karl VIC 1647 [1]
7 Wang, Oscar NSW 1942 1801 [.5] 1:0 Deen-Cowell, Nicholas NSW 1917 1722 [.5]
8 Chen, Peng Yu NSW 1977 1977 [0] 1:0 Daenke, Stephen SA 1569 [.5]
9 Dale, Ari VIC 1848 1621 [0] 1:0 Hayman, Adam VIC 1669 1483 [0]
10 Gibson, Kyle VIC 1647 1530 [0] 0:1 Bhattacharya, Devraj VIC 1848 1522 [0]
11 Lai, Gene VIC 1815 1598 [0] 0:1 Tang, Jonathan VIC 1644 [0]
12 Boon, Mark WA [0] 0:1 Feng, Thomas VIC 1778 1661 [0]
13 Ng, Isaac VIC 1757 1766 [0] 1:0 Spencer, Benjamin VIC [0]
14 Qin, Tomson VIC 1028 [0] 1:0 BYE
15 Topol, David VIC 1435 [.5] .5:.5 BYE

1 Cheng, Bobby VIC 2335 2207 [2] : Schon, Eugene VIC 2157 2153 [2]
2 Yuan, Yi ACT 2124 2105 [2] : Morris, James VIC 2270 2190 [2]
3 Tan, Justin VIC 2161 2067 [2] : Matheson, Laurence VIC 2101 2043 [2]
4 Liu, Yi (1997) QLD 1946 1886 [1] : Wang, Oscar NSW 1942 1801 [1.5]
5 Bhattacharya, Devraj VIC 1848 1522 [1] : Tang, Jason VIC 1988 1961 [1]
6 Feng, Thomas VIC 1778 1661 [1] : Chen, Peng Yu NSW 1977 1977 [1]
7 Zelesco, Karl VIC 1647 [1] : Vijayakumar, Rengan VIC 1865 1704 [1]
8 Addamo, Michael VIC 1865 1641 [1] : Qin, Tomson VIC 1028 [1]
9 Tang, Jonathan VIC 1644 [1] : Chan, Michael VIC 1855 1811 [1]
10 Topol, David VIC 1435 [1] : Dale, Ari VIC 1848 1621 [1]
11 Daenke, Stephen SA 1569 [.5] : Ng, Isaac VIC 1757 1766 [1]
12 Deen-Cowell, Nicholas NSW 1917 1722 [.5] : Lai, Gene VIC 1815 1598 [0]
13 Hayman, Adam VIC 1669 1483 [0] : Boon, Mark WA [0]
14 Spencer, Benjamin VIC [0] : Gibson, Kyle VIC 1647 1530 [0]

Oepty
16-01-2011, 01:55 PM
15 Kanagarajah, Abbie QLD 1392 [1] 0:1 Chau, Bernard NSW 1715 [1]
16 Cook, Jamie VIC 628 [1] 0:1 Simmonds, Leteisha QLD 1483 [1]
17 Li, Tim NSW 1445 [1] 1:0 Ng, Joshua VIC 1321 [1]
18 Cameron, Alistair SA 1827 [.5] 1:0 Hibberd, Nathan VIC 1566 [0]
19 O'Rourke, Ryan (1996) NSW 1342 [0] .5:.5 Fan, Kevin E VIC 1382 [.5]
20 Yung, Cameron VIC 983 [0] 1:0 Li, Justin VIC [0]
21 Osborne, Darcy VIC [0] 1:0 BYE

15 Chau, Bernard NSW 1715 [2] : Li, Tim NSW 1445 [2]
16 Simmonds, Leteisha QLD 1483 [2] : Cameron, Alistair SA 1827 [1.5]
17 Yung, Cameron VIC 983 [1] : Kanagarajah, Abbie QLD 1392 [1]
18 Fan, Kevin E VIC 1382 [1] : Cook, Jamie VIC 628 [1]
19 Osborne, Darcy VIC [1] : Ng, Joshua VIC 1321 [1]
20 Hibberd, Nathan VIC 1566 [0] : O'Rourke, Ryan (1996) NSW 1342 [.5]
21 Li, Justin VIC [0] 1:0 BYE

In the Girls Savithri Narenthran beat Caroline Shan, Ruihong Lu beat Janaki Narenthran and Charlotte Dilnutt drew with Sophie Eustace.
They are not playing this afternoon. All pairings are on the offical website, www.ajcc2011.com.au

Oepty
16-01-2011, 02:21 PM
In the under 10 and 8 girls Yuvini Perera is leading with 5/5 followed by Jody Middleton on 4/5 and Jody is the best under 8 girl. Denali Durden, Emily Lin, Hannah Derwent and Grace Shan are on 3/5.

In the Under 8 Open Kevin Willathgamuwa is leading on 5/5 followed by Bobby Yu and Kerry Lin on 4/4.

In the Under 10 David Cannon is leading on 5/5 having beaten Enoch Fan and Nicolas Moser in the last two rounds. Fan, Moser, Rowan Willathgamuwa, Vishal Bhat and Denny Han are on 4/5. Rowan plays David Cannon in the next round.

Scott

Oepty
16-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Board 1 Round 3 Under 18 Open
Bobby Cheng - Eugene Schon

1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6 3. Nf3 Nf6 4. Nc3 dxc4 5. a4 Bf5 6. e3 e6 7. a5 Bb4 8. Qa4 Qe7 9. Bxc4 0-0 10. 0-0 Nbd7 11. Nh4 Be4 12. Nxe4 Nxe4 13. Nf3 Bd6 14. Bd3 Nef6 15. a6 b5 16. Qc2 e5 17. dxe5 Nxe5 18. Nxe5 Qxe5 19. g3 Rac8 20. e4 Qe7 21. f4 Bc5+ 22. Kg2 h6 23. Bd2 Rfd8 24. Rae1 Bd4 25. Ba5 Re8 26. Qe2 Qc5 27. Rc1 Qd6 28. Qf3 Bxb2 29. e5 Qa3 30. Ra1 Qxa1 31. Rxa1 Bxa1 32. exf6 Bxf6 33. Qh5 Bd4 34. Qf5 g6 35. Qd7 Bb6 36. Bxb6 axb6 37. a7 Red8 38. Qb7 c5 39. Bxb5 c4 40. Bd7 Ra8 41. Kf2 1-0

ER
16-01-2011, 02:32 PM

:) With Karl in his good day there's no "upsets" and surprises! He is good enough to beat everyone! :clap: Excellent work IanCCC, SHump, Scott, and all the others who have contributed to the success of this tournament!

Oepty
16-01-2011, 03:52 PM
[Event "2011 AJCC U18 Open"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "2011.01.16"]
[Round "3.2"]
[White "Yuan, Yi"]
[Black "Morris, James"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "B00"]
[WhiteElo "2124"]
[BlackElo "2270"]
[PlyCount "51"]
[SourceDate "2011.01.16"]

1. e4 Nc6 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 Nf6 4. Nc3 Bg4 5. Bb5 a6 6. Bxc6+ bxc6 7. h3 Bh5 8.
Qe2 e6 9. g4 Bg6 10. Nh4 d5 11. Nxg6 hxg6 12. Bg5 Be7 13. Bxf6 Bxf6 14. O-O-O
g5 15. h4 gxh4 16. f4 c5 17. exd5 cxd4 18. dxe6 O-O 19. Ne4 fxe6 20. g5 Be7 21.
Rxh4 Qd5 22. Rh8+ Kf7 23. Qh5+ g6 24. Qh7+ Ke8 25. Nf6+ Bxf6 26. Rxf8+ 1-0

Oepty
16-01-2011, 03:54 PM
[Event "2011 AJCC Under 18 Open"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "2011.01.16"]
[Round "3.3"]
[White "Tan, Justin"]
[Black "Matheson, Laurence"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "B90"]
[WhiteElo "2161"]
[BlackElo "2101"]
[PlyCount "53"]
[EventDate "2011.01.16"]
[SourceDate "2011.01.16"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Be3 e5 7. Nb3 Be6 8. f3
Nbd7 9. Qd2 b5 10. O-O-O Rc8 11. g4 Nb6 12. Qf2 Nc4 13. Bxc4 Rxc4 14. Nc5 Qc8
15. Nxe6 fxe6 16. g5 Nd7 17. g6 hxg6 18. Qg2 Nf6 19. Qxg6+ Ke7 20. Kb1 b4 21.
Na4 Rxc2 22. Nb6 Qc6 23. Rc1 Rxc1+ 24. Rxc1 Qb7 25. Nc8+ Kd8 26. Bb6+ Kd7 27.
Qf7+ 1-0

Oepty
16-01-2011, 03:58 PM
All pairings and results are now on www.ajcc2011.com.au
Scott

Oepty
16-01-2011, 06:10 PM
All pairings for tommorrow and results from today should be on the website www.ajcc2011.com.au within an hour. I will not be putting them here.
Scott

Kevin Bonham
16-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Results and pairings are updated. Full details at http://ajcc2011.com.au/PHITE.php?sitesig=PT&page=PT_SUB&subpage=PT_001_Results

In the U18 Bobby Cheng, Yi Yuan and Justin Tan are on 3/3 and numerous players are on 2. Tan-Cheng tomorrow should be an exciting game.

Adamski
16-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Congratulations to all involved in organising and covering the Junior champs. The coverage has been excellent and it looks from afar like the organisation is likewise. Methinks Scott is currently a very busy man!

yewsze
17-01-2011, 07:01 AM
Hi All,

Please find attached link to Day 2 of the Tournament Photographs, compliments of Raelene Zelesco and her team of photographers.

U16/U18 Day 2
http://gallery.me.com/raelenez/101279

U8/U0 Day 2
http://gallery.me.com/raelenez#101286

Oepty
17-01-2011, 09:30 AM
There is now a downloads page on the website. http://www.ajcc2011.com.au/PHITE.php?sitesig=PT&page=PT_SUB&subpage=PT_003_Downloads

Scott

Oepty
17-01-2011, 10:18 AM
The U10/8 Girls is very close at the top. Joint leaders Jody Middleton and Yuvini Perera both lost there games allowing Grace Shan and Denali Durden to join them on 5/7. Shan beat Middleton, while Durden beat Phoebe Fan on board 3. Althea Wong who beat Perera is on 4.5/7 along in fifth place. There are 2 rounds to go and perhaps a clear winner will emerge.
Scott

Oepty
17-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Kevin Willathgamuwa won his game to stay on 100%. Kerry Lin won on board 2 to remain a point behind.
Scott

Kevin Bonham
17-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Very impressed with Yuvini's progress since last year, when she won the U8 Girls unopposed but didn't actually win any games (she did win a couple in one of the side-events).

Oepty
17-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Under 16 Board 1

Alistair Cameron - Bernard Chau

1. d4 g6 2. c4 Bg7 3. e4 d6 4. Nc3 c5 5. d5 Bxc3 6. bxc3 f5 7. exf5 Bxf5 8. Bd3 Bxd3 9. Qxd3 Nd7 10. Nh3 Ne5 11. Qe2 Qa5 12. 0-0 Nf6 13. f4 Ned7 14. Ng5 Rg8 15. Ne6 Kf7 16. Ng5+ Kf8 17. Rb1 Re8 18. Ne6+ Kf7 19. Rxb7 Qa6 20. Rb1 Nb6 21. Nc7 Qxc4 22. Qxc4 Nxc4 23. Nxe8 Rxe8 24. Rb7 Rc8 25. f5 Nxd5 26. f6 Ke6 27. f7 Nf6 28. Rxa7 Rf8 29. Bg5 Rxf7 30. Bxf6 exf6 31. Re1+ Ne5 32. Rxf7 Kxf7 33. a4

Alistair is now a rook up and winning easily

Oepty
17-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Under 18 Open board 1

Justin Tan - Bobby Cheng

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 a6 5. Bd3 g6 6. 0-0 Bg7 7. Nf3 Nc6 8. Qe2 Nge7 9. Nc3 0-0 10. e5 d6 11. exd6 Qxd6 12. Rd1 Qc7 13. Be3 b5 14. Qd2 Ne5 15. Nxe5 Bxe5 16. f4 Bg7 17. Qf2 Bb7 18. Bb6 Qc8 19. Bd4 Rd8 20. Bxg7 Kxg7 21. Qe3 Qc7 22. Rc1 Rac8 23. a3 Nd5 24. Nxd5 Bxd5 25. b3 Qc6 26. Qf2 Bb7 27. Bxg6 Bxc3 28. Bh5 Bg6 29. Bf3 Qc5 30. Re3 Qd4 31. Rf1 Qxf1 32. Qe1 Qd4 33. Kh1 Rc2 34. Be4 Rd2 35. Bxg6 Rd1 36. Qf2 Rxf1+ 37. Qxf1 hxg6 38. Rf3 f5 39. h3 Qd1 40. Kxf1 Rd7 41. Kxf1 Rd7 42. g4 Kf6 43. gxf5 gxf5 44. Re3 Ra2 45. h4 Rh2 46. Rc6 Rxh4 47. Rxa6 Ra4 48. Rb6 Rxa3 49. Rxb5 Ra2 50. Rb8 e5 51. Rf8+ Kg5 52. Rh8 e4 53. Rh3 f4 54. Rb3 Kg4 55. Rc3 e3 56. Rc1 Kf3 57. Kg1 Kg3 58. Kh1 Rh2+ 59. Kg1 f3 60. Rc8 f2+ 0-1

MichaelBaron
17-01-2011, 12:24 PM
The U10/8 Girls is very close at the top. Joint leaders Jody Middleton and Yuvini Perera both lost there games allowing Grace Shan and Denali Durden to join them on 5/7. Shan beat Middleton, while Durden beat Phoebe Fan on board 3. Althea Wong who beat Perera is on 4.5/7 along in fifth place. There are 2 rounds to go and perhaps a clear winner will emerge.
Scott

As always it is mostly :owned: :clap: Chinese and Indian kids who dominate :)

Kevin Bonham
17-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Scott your version of Cameron-Chau had two Bxc3 s when the second one is bxc3 - I fixed that. Also important to always put a full stop after a move number.

ER
17-01-2011, 01:29 PM
As always it is mostly :owned: :clap: Chinese and Indian kids who dominate :)

They are all proud Australians also proud of theirs and/or their parents' country of origin. Many of these kids have represented Australia and proudly wear the green and gold!

yewsze
17-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Hi All,

There will be an additional shuttle bus services between 1.45pm ~ 2.45pm between Billanook College and the Mooroolbark Train Station.

MichaelBaron
17-01-2011, 02:29 PM
They are all proud Australians also proud of theirs and/or their parents' country of origin. Many of these kids have represented Australia and proudly wear the green and gold!
Yep...but kids always represent their parents first..and country second :). My point is..we are lucky to have them!

MichaelBaron
17-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Under 16 Board 1

Alistair Cameron - Bernard Chau

1. d4 g6 2. c4 Bg7 3. e4 d6 4. Nc3 c5 5. d5 Bxc3 6. bxc3 f5 7. exf5 Bxf5 8. Bd3 Bxd3 9. Qxd3 Nd7 10. Nh3 Ne5 11. Qe2 Qa5 12. 0-0 Nf6 13. f4 Ned7 14. Ng5 Rg8 15. Ne6

Bernard is having a long think
Too late to think - black is completely lost here!

BearDrinkingBeer
17-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Under 18 Open board 1

Justin Tan - Bobby Cheng

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 a6 5. Bd3 g6 6. 0-0 Bg7 7. Nf3 Nc6 8. Qe2 Nge7 9. Nc3 0-0 10. e5 d6 11. exd6 Qxd6 12. Rd1 Qc7 13. Be3 b5 14. Qd2 Ne5 15. Nxe5 Bxe5 16. f4 Bg7 17. Qf2 Bb7 18. Bb6 Qc8 19. Bd4
Justin is in awesome form. If he can hold off or even beat Bobby in this game, he has a good chance of taking out this tournament.

Lekko
17-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Under 18 Open board 1

Justin Tan - Bobby Cheng

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 a6 5. Bd3 g6 6. 0-0 Bg7 7. Nf3 Nc6 8. Qe2 Nge7 9. Nc3 0-0 10. e5 d6 11. exd6 Qxd6 12. Rd1 Qc7 13. Be3 b5 14. Qd2 Ne5 15. Nxe5 Bxe5 16. f4 Bg7 17. Qf2 Bb7 18. Bb6 Qc8 19. Bd4 Rd8 20. Bxg7 Kxg7 21. Qe3 Qc7 22. Rc1 Rac8 23. a3 Nd5 24. Nxd5 Bxd5 25. b3 Qc6 26. Qf2 Bb7 27. Bxg6 Bxc3 28. Bh5 Bg6 29. Bf3 Qc5 30. Re3 Qd4 31. Rf1 Qxf1 32. Qe1 Qd4 33. Kh1 Rc2 34. Be4 Rd2 35. Bxg6 Rd1 36. Qf2 Rxf1+ 37. Qxf1 hxg6 38. Rf3 f5 39. h3 Qd1 40. Kxf1 Rd7 41. Kxf1 Rd7 42. g4 Kf6 43. gxf5 gxf5 44. Re3 Ra2 45. h4 Rh2 46. Rc6 Rxh4 47. Rxa6 Ra4 48. Rb6 Rxa3 49. Rxb5 Ra2 50. Rb8 e5 51. Rf8+ Kg5 52. Rh8 e4 53. Rh3 f4 54. Rb3 Kg4 55. Rc3 e3 56. Rc1 Kf3 57. Kg1 Kg3 58. Kh1 Rh2+ 59. Kg1 f3 60. Rc8 f2+ 0-1
Bb7 illegal move?

yewsze
17-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Hi All,

Ian CCC is correct. The correct Problem Solving and Lightning are as follow:

All coaches and parents are invited to participate in the Problem Solving ($10) 11am and Lightning Competition ($20) 3pm start tomorrow (18th Jan 2011).

Please register before 10.30am.

Ian CCC
17-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Hi All,

All coaches and parents are invited to participate in the Lightning Competition ($20) 11am start and Problem Solving ($10) 3pm start tomorrow (18th Jan 2011).

Please register before 10.30am.

The Schedule on the website has it the other way round. The Problem Solving starts at 11am and the Lightning starts at 3pm.

Has there been a change to the schedule? ............no, there can't be, as there wouldn't be enough time for the lightning. So, I guess that Yew Sze meant to say that the Problem Solving starts at 11am and the Lightning starts at 3pm.

There's also a BBQ lunch from 1pm to 3pm!

Oepty
17-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Bb7 illegal move?

I don't have the scoresheet anymore to fix it up, sorry.
Scott

Oepty
17-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Under 8 Girls Champion Jody Middleton
2nd Emily Lin
After a playoff
3rd Rose Kelly

Under 10 Girls Champion Denali Durden
2nd Yuvini Perera
After a playoff
3rd Hannah Derwent

Under 8 Champion Kevin Willathgamuwa
2nd Kerry Lin
3rd Matthew McConnell

Under 10 Champion David Cannon
2nd Enoch Fan
3rd Nicolas Moser

Scott

ER
17-01-2011, 06:12 PM
I don't have the scoresheet anymore to fix it up, sorry.
Scott

Maybe the Queen has moved to another square, not blocking the Bishop's retreat! Anyway mate you better have some rest, since we have the result it's ok. Good luck tomorrow!

frankablanca
17-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Bb7 illegal move?

26...Bxb3

BearDrinkingBeer
17-01-2011, 06:57 PM
............no, there can't be, as there wouldn't be enough time for the lightning. So, I guess that Yew Sze meant to say that the Problem Solving starts at 11am and the Lightning starts at 3pm.
That would make more sense. Thanks for pointing that out.

Taigastyle
17-01-2011, 08:53 PM
VTAC offers came out today, got my first preference, but...

A compulsory course information session has been scheduled for (Thursday 20 January 2011 at 10:30 am in C1,
building 63 Clayton campus)

Is there anything that can be done to postpone the game? Or will I have to concede a bye?

ER
17-01-2011, 11:58 PM
VTAC offers came out today, got my first preference,

Congrats son! well done! :clap:

Kevin Bonham
18-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Today's the problem-solving and lightning day. Tomorrow in the U18 top board is Cheng-Morris.

ER
18-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Congratulations to Karl Zelesco - Australian Open U12 Lightning Champion! with 9.5 points :clap:
Strong showing by Zachary Loh - second with 9 points :clap:
Third with 8.5 points was Max Chew Lee with 8.5 points :clap:

Ladies and gentlemen I know all the winners in all categories, but I think it would be better to find out by yourselves who won what in the Aus Juniors Championship website in this link:

http://ajcc2011.com.au/PHITE.php?sitesig=PT&page=PT_SUB&subpage=PT_001_Results

MichaelBaron
18-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Today's the problem-solving and lightning day. Tomorrow in the U18 top board is Cheng-Morris.
Bobby and James always have facinating struggles. Looking forward to this one!

Ian CCC
18-01-2011, 07:49 PM
As JAK announced above, the results of the lightning are now on the tournament website.

The U12 Girls and U18 Girls were combined.

Unofficially, the main results were:

There was a playoff for the Girls U18 title between Sophie Eustace and Leteisha Simmonds which Leteisha won 1.5-0.5.

Denise Lim came first out of the U12 Girls.

There was also a playoff for the U18 Open title between Bobby Cheng and Eugene Schon. I don’t know the result of the playoff.

The U12 Open was won by Karl Zelesco.

ER
18-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Nice to see our Georgian friend Mdinaradze, Edgar winning the parents / coaches lightning with 7/7! :clap:

Lekko
18-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Did I win anything for second? lol.

ER
18-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Did I win anything for second? lol.
Only if you are a coach or a parent! :hmm: :P

Lekko
18-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Only if you are a coach or a parent! :hmm: :P
Sure, I'm coaching James Morris! :P

ER
18-01-2011, 09:53 PM

:lol:

BearDrinkingBeer
18-01-2011, 10:03 PM
There was also a playoff for the U18 Open title between Bobby Cheng and Eugene Schon. I donít know the result of the playoff.
Bobby Cheng won this playoff.

Kevin Bonham
18-01-2011, 10:07 PM
There was a playoff for the Girls U18 title between Sophie Eustace and Leteisha Simmonds which Leteisha won 1.5-0.5.

That's four (at least) playoffs in a row for Leteisha after she won three from three in Hobart.

MichaelBaron
19-01-2011, 09:33 AM
:P LOL

Shade Slayer
19-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Bobby Cheng won this playoff.

Bobby won the playoff 2.5-1.5

Oepty
19-01-2011, 02:08 PM
That's four (at least) playoffs in a row for Leteisha after she won three from three in Hobart.

I think it is only 4 in a row at this level because, from memory, she lost the playoff for the under 14 Girls title to Natasha Bortsova in 2009 in Adelaide.
Scott

Oepty
19-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Under 18 Open Board 1

Bobby Cheng - James Morris

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 c5 3. d5 b5 4. Nf3 d6 5. cxb5 a6 6. b6 Nbd7 7. Nc3 Rb8 8. e4 g6 9. a4 Rxb6 10. Nd2 Rb4 11. a5 Bg7 12. Nc4 0-0 13. Be2 Ne8 14. 0-0 Nc7 15. Na4 Ne5 16. Nab6 Nxc4 17. Nxc4 Rb8 18. Rb1 f5 19. f3 Nb5 20. Nb6 Nd4 21. Bc4 e5 22. b4 cxb4 23. Rxb4 fxe4 24. fxe4 Rxf1+ 25. Qxf1 Qh4 26. Bd3 Bh3 27. gxh3 Rf8 28. Qd1 Nf3 29. Kh1 Ne1 30. Bxa6 Qf2 31. Qe2 1-0

Lekko
19-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Under 18 Open Board 1

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 c5 3. d5 b5 4. Nf3 d6 5. cxb5 a6 6. b6 Nbd7 7. Nc3 Rb8 8. e4 g6 9. a4 Rxb6 10. Nd2 Rb4

Looks like they're following
[Event "RUS Cup final"]
[Site "St Petersburg"]
[Date "2009.11.06"]
[Round "2.2"]
[White "Bocharov, Dmitry"]
[Black "Zvjaginsev, Vadim"]
[Result "0-1"]
[ECO "A57"]
[WhiteElo "2584"]
[BlackElo "2641"]
[PlyCount "48"]
[EventDate "2009.11.03"]
[EventType "k.o."]
[EventRounds "5"]
[EventCountry "RUS"]
[Source "ChessBase"]
[SourceDate "2009.11.30"]

1. c4 Nf6 2. d4 c5 3. d5 b5 4. cxb5 a6 5. b6 d6 6. Nc3 Nbd7 7. e4 Rb8 8. Nf3 g6
9. a4 Rxb6 10. Nd2 Bg7 11. Be2 O-O 12. O-O Rb4 13. a5 Ne5 14. h3 g5 15. b3 Rd4
16. Qc2 g4 17. hxg4 Nfxg4 18. Bxg4 Nxg4 19. Nf3 f5 20. Bg5 Qe8 21. Rfe1 fxe4
22. Nxe4 Rxf3 23. gxf3 Ne5 24. Kg2 Qh5 0-1

MichaelBaron
20-01-2011, 12:21 AM
Under 18 Open Board 1

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 c5 3. d5 b5 4. Nf3 d6 5. cxb5 a6 6. b6 Nbd7 7. Nc3 Rb8 8. e4 g6 9. a4 Rxb6 10. Nd2 Rb4 11. a5 Bg7 12. Nc4 0-0 13. Be2 Ne8 14. 0-0 Nc7 15. Na4 Ne5 16. Nab6 Nxc4 17. Nxc4 Rb8 18. Rb1 f5 19. f3 Nb5 20. Nb6 Nd4 21. Bc4 e5 22. b4 cxb4 23. Rxb4 fxe4 24. fxe4 Rxf1+ 25. Qxf1 Qh4 26. Bd3 Bh3 27. gxh3 Rf8 28. Qd1 Nf3 29. Kh1 Ne1 30. Bxa6 Qf2 31. Qe2 1-0

Bh3 looks like an unfortunate miscalculation

Kevin Bonham
20-01-2011, 12:54 AM
A line to keep James in the game would have been 29...Nxh2 (Ne1 as played completely lost) with the forcing sequence 30.Rb2 Nf3 31.Bf1 Qxe4 and now white might play 32.Bg2 or 32.Qe2. I think the former is stronger. In either case black has two pawns for the piece and an attack of sorts that is not all that dangerous, but really difficult to get rid of.

There is a critical simplifying line 32.Bg2 Qh4 33.Bxf3 which leads to a difficult endgame; I'm not sure if this is won for white or not but if it is a draw then it looks very challenging to hold.

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d5 b5 4.Nf3 d6 5.cxb5 a6 6.b6 Nbd7 7.Nc3 Rb8 8.e4 g6 9.a4 Rxb6 10.Nd2 Rb4 11.a5 Bg7 12.Nc4 0-0 13.Be2 Ne8 14.0-0 Nc7 15.Na4 Ne5 16.Nab6 Nxc4 17.Nxc4 Rb8 18.Rb1 f5 19.f3 Nb5 20.Nb6 Nd4 21.Bc4 e5 22.b4 cxb4 23.Rxb4 fxe4 24.fxe4 Rxf1+ 25.Qxf1 Qh4 26.Bd3 Bh3 27.gxh3 Rf8 28.Qd1 Nf3+ 29.Kh1 Ne1 [29...Nxh2! 30.Rb2 forced 30...Nf3 31.Bf1 forced 31...Qxe4 and I think best is 32.Bg2 (32.Qe2) 32...Qh4 33.Bxf3 Qxh3+ 34.Rh2 Qxf3+ 35.Qxf3 Rxf3 36.Rc2 Rb3 +/-] 30.Bxa6 Qf2 31.Qe2 1-0

Oepty
20-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Board 1 Under 18 Open

Yi Yuan - Bobby Cheng

1. e4 c5 2. c3 e6 3. d4 d5 4. exd5 exd5 5. Bd3 Nc6 6. Nf3 Bd6 7. 0-0 Nge7 8. dxc5 Bxc5 9. Bg5 0-0 10. b4 Bd6 11. b5 Ne5 12. Nxe5 Bxe5 13. f4 Bd6 14. Qh5 Qb6+ 15. Kh1 Bf5 16. Bxf5 Nxf5 17. Nd2 f6 18. Bh4 Nxh4 19. Qxh4 Qxb5 20. Nf3 Qc4 21. Nd4 Qxc3 22. Rd1 Bc5 23. Ne6 Rfc8 24. Rc1 Qa3 25. Qh5 b6 1/2-1/2

Lekko
20-01-2011, 01:08 PM
A line to keep James in the game would have been 29...Nxh2 (Ne1 as played completely lost) with the forcing sequence 30.Rb2 Nf3 31.Bf1 Qxe4 and now white might play 32.Bg2 or 32.Qe2. I think the former is stronger. In either case black has two pawns for the piece and an attack of sorts that is not all that dangerous, but really difficult to get rid of.

There is a critical simplifying line 32.Bg2 Qh4 33.Bxf3 which leads to a difficult endgame; I'm not sure if this is won for white or not but if it is a draw then it looks very challenging to hold.

I had a look at these lines when I got home, and found a move for black that seems to hold. Even the computer likes it. Nxh2 doesn't seem to offer black anything, I think white can convert that, although there might be some chances.

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 c5 3. d5 b5 4. Nf3 d6 5. cxb5 a6 6. b6 Nbd7 7. Nc3 Rb8 8. e4 g6
9. a4 Rxb6 10. Nd2 Rb4 11. Be2 Bg7 12. O-O O-O 13. a5 Ne8 14. Nc4 Nc7 15. Na4
Ne5 16. Nab6 Nxc4 17. Nxc4 Rb8 18. Nb6 Nb5 19. Rb1 f5 20. f3 Nd4 21. Bc4 fxe4
22. fxe4 Rxf1+ 23. Qxf1 e5 24. b4 cxb4 25. Rxb4 Qh4 26. Bd3 Bh3 27. gxh3 (27.
Rb2 $1 $18) 27... Rf8 28. Qd1 Rf3 (28... Nf3+ 29. Kh1 Ne1 (29... Nxh2 30. Rb2
Nf3 31. Bf1 Qxe4 32. Bg2 Qh4 33. Bxf3 Qxh3+ 34. Rh2 Qxf3+ $16) 30. Bxa6 Qf2 31.
Qe2 $18 {The game continuation}) 29. Rb2 (29. Rxd4 Qf2+ 30. Kh1 exd4 31. Qe2
Qxe2 32. Bxe2 Rb3 $11) 29... Rxh3 30. Rf2 Nf3+ 31. Qxf3 (31. Rxf3 Rxh2 32. Kf1
Rh1+ $19) (31. Kf1 Nxh2+ 32. Ke2 Qg4+ 33. Ke1 Nf3+ 34. Rxf3 Rxf3 35. Qe2 Qg1+
36. Kd2 Rf2 $19) (31. Kh1 Qxf2 $19) 31... Rxf3 32. Rxf3 Qe1+ 33. Rf1 Qxa5 34.
Nc4 Qc3 35. Rd1 (35. Nb2 a5 36. Kf2 a4 37. Ke2 a3 38. Nc4 a2 39. Bb2 Qb4 40. h4
Bh6 $15) 35... Qb3 36. Nb2 a5 37. Kf2 a4 38. Ke2 a3 39. Nc4 a2 40. Bb2 Bf8 41.
Ba1 $15 *

The signs may mess with the pgn viewer, not sure if someone can fix it for me? If you've got an engine at home just copy/paste it into that.

Desmond
20-01-2011, 01:41 PM
I had a look at these lines when I got home, and found a move for black that seems to hold. Even the computer likes it. Nxh2 doesn't seem to offer black anything, I think white can convert that, although there might be some chances.

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 c5 3. d5 b5 4. Nf3 d6 5. cxb5 a6 6. b6 Nbd7 7. Nc3 Rb8 8. e4 g6 9. a4 Rxb6 10. Nd2 Rb4 11. Be2 Bg7 12. O-O O-O 13. a5 Ne8 14. Nc4 Nc7 15. Na4 Ne5 16. Nab6 Nxc4 17. Nxc4 Rb8 18. Nb6 Nb5 19. Rb1 f5 20. f3 Nd4 21. Bc4 fxe4 22. fxe4 Rxf1+ 23. Qxf1 e5 24. b4 cxb4 25. Rxb4 Qh4 26. Bd3 Bh3 27. gxh3 (27.Rb2 $1 $18) 27... Rf8 28. Qd1 Rf3 (28... Nf3+ 29. Kh1 Ne1 (29... Nxh2 30. Rb2 Nf3 31. Bf1 Qxe4 32. Bg2 Qh4 33. Bxf3 Qxh3+ 34. Rh2 Qxf3+ $16) 30. Bxa6 Qf2 31.Qe2 $18 {The game continuation}) 29. Rb2 (29. Rxd4 Qf2+ 30. Kh1 exd4 31. Qe2 Qxe2 32. Bxe2 Rb3 $11) 29... Rxh3 30. Rf2 Nf3+ 31. Qxf3 (31. Rxf3 Rxh2 32. Kf1 Rh1+ $19) (31. Kf1 Nxh2+ 32. Ke2 Qg4+ 33. Ke1 Nf3+ 34. Rxf3 Rxf3 35. Qe2 Qg1+ 36. Kd2 Rf2 $19) (31. Kh1 Qxf2 $19) 31... Rxf3 32. Rxf3 Qe1+ 33. Rf1 Qxa5 34.Nc4 Qc3 35. Rd1 (35. Nb2 a5 36. Kf2 a4 37. Ke2 a3 38. Nc4 a2 39. Bb2 Qb4 40. h4 Bh6 $15) 35... Qb3 36. Nb2 a5 37. Kf2 a4 38. Ke2 a3 39. Nc4 a2 40. Bb2 Bf8 41. Ba1 $15 *

The signs may mess with the pgn viewer, not sure if someone can fix it for me?

ER
20-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Board 1 Under 18 Open

Yi Yuan - Bobby Cheng

1. e4 c5 2. c3 e6 3. d4 d5 4. exd5 exd5 5. Bd3 Nc6 6. Nf3 Bd6 7. 0-0 Nge7 8. dxc5 Bxc5 9. Bg5

slight correction (Bxc5 instead of Bxd5)

Lekko
20-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Oh well if it works, then it works. It was coming up all messed up on my screen.

Desmond
20-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Oh well if it works, then it works. It was coming up all messed up on my screen.
It was on mine too. I removed the line breaks and unnecessary spacing - then it works.

Lekko
20-01-2011, 02:04 PM
It was on mine too. I removed the line breaks and unnecessary spacing - then it works.
K thanks.

Oepty
20-01-2011, 03:11 PM
The under 12 and 14 results from this morning are on ajcc2011.com.au

Scott

Lekko
20-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Any results from the u/18 in yet?

Kevin Bonham
20-01-2011, 04:27 PM
I had a look at these lines when I got home, and found a move for black that seems to hold.

Looks like it. Seems like the piece sac was OK for black; it was just the followup that was incorrect with your 28...Rf3! (instead of 28...Nf3+ as played) being good for full equality.

Tony Dowden
20-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Bh3 looks like an unfortunate miscalculation

I thought it was more like desperation than a miscalculation but, as KB shows, Black could've gained more compensation - which shouldn't be enough but might've been difficult to deal with, as it looks easier to attack than defend.

Tony Dowden
20-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Looks like it. Seems like the piece sac was OK for black; it was just the followup that was incorrect with your 28...Rf3! (instead of 28...Nf3+ as played) being good for full equality.

28...Rf3! looks interesting but not very human-like move.

Lekko
20-01-2011, 05:56 PM
28...Rf3! looks interesting but not very human-like move.
Yeah none of us who were there considered it, we didn't find it post-analysis where the majority of spectators thought Bg4 instead of Bh3 was good for an advantage, except it seems to be much worse! haha.

MichaelBaron
21-01-2011, 11:02 AM
any updates on the scores?

AzureBlue
21-01-2011, 12:28 PM
any updates on the scores?
They're up on the website now.
http://www.ajcc2011.com.au/PHITE.php?sitesig=PT&page=PT_SUB&subpage=PT_001_Results

Oepty
21-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Under 18 Board 1

Bobby Cheng - Yi Liu 1-0

1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nf3 c6 4. e3 Nf6 5. b3 Bb4+ 6. Nbd2 0-0 7. Bd3 c5 8. Bb2 cxd4 9. exd4 b6 10. a3 Be7 11. 0-0 Bb7 12. Qe2 Re8 13. Rac1 Nfd7 14. Ne5 Nxe5 15. dxe5 Nd7 16. cxd5 Bxd5 17. f4 f5 18. Bc4 Bxc4 19. Nxc4 b5 20. Nd6 Bxd6 21. exd6 Qb6+ 22. Kh1 Nf6 23. Qe5 Kh8 24. Rc7 Rf8 25. Qxe6 Rae8 26. Re7 Rxe7 27. dxe7 Rg8 28. Qxb6 axb6 29. Bxf6 gxf6 30. Rd1 Kg7 31. Rd8 Kf7 32. Rxg8 1-0

Oepty
21-01-2011, 01:18 PM
In the under 14 open round 5 this morning Daniel Zhang beat Alex MacAdam and Willis Lo beat Lachlan Cameron on the top 2 boards. Stuart Mason beat Sam Gluzman on board 3. Leaders, Daniel Zhang 4.5/5, Willis Lo and Stuart Mason 4/5.

In the under 12 open Daniel Lapitan beat top seed Zachary Loh to keep his winning streak going and keep the outright lead on 5/5. Joshua Behar beat Michael Kethro on board 2 to get to 4.5/5. Enoch Fan, Callum Gray and Joshua Devarajh all won to be be equal third on 4/5.

In the joint under 12/14 girls the round started with 4 leaders and ended with 5 leaders. The top two boards, Nicole Chin - Denise Lim and Kashish Christian - May-Yi Foo, were both drawn, while Alanna Chew Lee won her game against Jody Middleton to join them. They are all on 4/5 with a one point break back to the next group.
Scott

ER
21-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Incredible results throughout this tournament in all categories! Don't forget Daniel Lapitan drew with super GM Alexei Shirov (simul) in the unforgettable Kings Of Chess 2009 event. Here is a picture of Alexei and his friend Daniel courtesy of KIngs or Chess webpage:
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/lapitan-shirov2.jpg
I am sure Zac will fight back though!

BearDrinkingBeer
21-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Under 18 Board 1

Bobby Cheng - Yi Liu

1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nf3 c6 4. e3 Nf6 5. b3 Bb4+ 6. Nbd2 0-0 7. Bd3 c5 8. Bb2 cxd4 9. exd4 b6 10. a3 Be7 11. 0-0 Bb7 12. Qe2 Re8 13. Rac1 Nfd7 14. Ne5 Nxe5 15. dxe5 Nd7 16. cxd5 Bxd5 17. f4 f5 18. Bc4 Bxc4 19. Nxc4
I think Black is in trouble. White has an outpost on d6, the ability to clear the c-file with b2-b4 if Black plays ...Nc5, and Black's queen is feeling very uncomfortable.

ER
21-01-2011, 03:05 PM
I think Black is in trouble. White has an outpost on d6, the ability to clear the c-file with b2-b4 if Black plays ...Nc5, and Black's queen is feeling very uncomfortable.

Thanks Bear; what do you think of B ch first instead of exchanging Bs, with the idea of infiltrating the K-side with the Queen? (from Black's point of view)

Kevin Bonham
21-01-2011, 05:35 PM
There was a move missing from Bobby's comfortable win against Yi Liu; I have corrected that. So that's at least a one-point lead for the defending champion with just two rounds to go.

LagCheat
21-01-2011, 06:38 PM
does anyone have the results for the u18 and u16 for today? thx

Ron
21-01-2011, 07:30 PM
does anyone have the results for the u18 and u16 for today? thx
Official web now

ER
21-01-2011, 08:40 PM
GO SAVITHRI!!! :) :clap:

Kevin Bonham
21-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Jonathan Tang must be severely underrated. Seeded 23 of 28, and currently =3rd.

Alastair Cameron is cruising in the U16s, point and a half up, has won every game since his surprise first-round draw.

Savithri, amusingly, has a half-point lead with only her own sister and the bye to go. Girls U16 is not too clear yet.

U14 Daniel Zhang 5.5 Stuart Mason 5. Those two tomorrow could well be for all the marbles but it's been quite a topsy-turvy division.

U12 Daniel Lapitan has a half-point lead but there's a big chasing pack keeping him honest.

U14/U12 girls is still very close. A catch is that many of the leaders are U12s.

Oepty
22-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Under 18 Open Board 1
Jonathan Tang - Bobby Cheng

1. d4 e6 2. e4 d5 3. Nc3 Nc6 4. Nf3 Nf6 5. Bd3 Nb4 6. Bg5 Nxd3 7. Qxd3 Be7 8. 0-0 0-0 9. Bxf6 Bxf6 10. exd5 exd5 11. h3 c6 12. Rae1 h5 13. Kh1 g6 14. Ne5 Bf5 15. Qd2 h4 16. f4 a5 17. Nd1 a4 18. Ne3 Be4 19. f5 Bxe5 20. dxe5 Qg5 21. Re2 Rad8 22. Qd4 f6 23. e6 Rde8 24. Ref2 gxf5 25. Nxf5 Rxe6 26. Ne3 f5 27. Rf4 Rg6 28. Ng4 Re8 29. Qb4 fxg4 30. Rf8+ Rxf8 31. Rxf8+ Kg7 32. Re8 Qc1+ 0-1

Results
Under 18 open

Jonathan Tang - Bobby Cheng 0-1
James Morris - Jason Tang 0-1
Isaac Ng - Justin Tan 0-1
Michael Chan - Thomas Feng 0-1
Laurence Matheson - Nicholas Deen-Cowell 1-0
Devraj Bhattacharya - Michael Addamo 0-1
Rengan Vijayakumar - Oscar Wang 1/2 - 1/2
Tomson Qin - Karl Zelesco 0-1
Mark Boon - David Topol 1-0
Ari Dale - Benjamin Spencer 1-0

Under 16 open

Alistair Cameron - Cameron Yung 0-1
Joshua Ng - Leteisha Simmonds 0-1
Kevin Fan - Darcy Osbourne 1-0
Ryan O'Rourke - Jamie Cook 1-0

Under 16/18 Girls
Sophie Eustace - Miranda Webb-Liddle 1-0
Janaki Narenthran - Savithri Narenthran 0-1
Charlotte Dilnutt - Caroline Shan 0-1

Oepty
22-01-2011, 02:22 PM
In the Under 12/14 girls May-Yi Foo won her game against Alena (now instead of Alyona) Chizhova to take the sole lead after joint leader Kashish Christian was lucky to draw with Alanna Chew Lee. Chew Lee offered a draw in a winning position, but didn't correctly calculate she was winning Kashish's rook in a rook and pawn ending. Leaders are May-yi Foo on 6/7, Kashish Christian 5.5 and Alanna Chew Lee on 5.

In the under 14 Open Daniel Zhang continues to lead the tournament after beating Stuart Mason to be on 6.5/7, while Stuart Mason was joined on 5 by Willis Lo, Martin Jack and Ethan Lim.

In the Under 12 Open Daniel Lapitan leads on 6.5/7 after beating Callum Gray while second placed Joshua Behar lost to Enoch Fan. This means Fan, Zachary Loh and Michael Kethro are equal second on 5.5/7.
Scott

Oepty
22-01-2011, 06:24 PM
In the combined girls tournament leader May-Yi Foo beat Alanna Chew Lee to maintain her half point lead over Kashish Christian who beat Stephanie Gu. Second seed Joanne Mason, who was very excited before the round that she was playing Denise Lim while her brother, Stuart, was playing Ethan Lim drew with Denise. May-Yi Foo has a tough pairing in Joanne Mason while Kashish Christian plays Alena Chizhova.

In the under 12 Open it was draws for all the contenders with Daniel Lapitan maintaining his 1 point lead. Zachary Loh and Enoch Fan drew their game. Daniel will play Enoch Fan needing only a draw, while the other two equal second players pairings are Peter Wallmueller - Zachary Loh and Joshua Devarajh - Michael Kethro.

In the under 14 Daniel Zhang surprising hesitated when offered a draw by Martin Jack who had a huge advantage. The game was drawn and Daniel goes into the last round leading by 1 point with 7/8. On board 2 the second Lim - Mason pairing was also drawn knocking them out of contention. Ethan Lim is really having a great tournament. Willis Lo kept some pressure on Zhang by beating Alex MacAdam to be outright second on 6 points. Ethan Lim and Stuart Mason are equal third on 5.5 points. In the final round Daniel Zhang is black against Lachlan Cameron and Willis Lo will be black against Stuart Mason

In the Under 16 Alistair Cameron up a piece and attacking against Cameron Yung got lazy and was forced to give up his queen to stop mate, but was totally lost. This means that he needs to win in the last round to avoid a playoff, and he will play Abbie Kanagarajah. Abbie will be looking to help fellow Queenslander Leteisha Simmonds who can win the title, after she moved to only half a point behind by beating Joshua Ng. Bernard Chau could have done the same but lost to Nathan Hibberd who is recovering well from a bad start to the tournament. Tim Li is in third, 1 point off the lead after beating Abbie.

In the under 18 Bobby Cheng beat Jonathan Tang to move to 7.5/8 but as Yi Yuan also won, beating Yi Liu to move to 6.5/8, he has not quite wrapped up the title. Other results mean that it is another 1.5 points back to 8 players equal third on 5/8. In the last round Bobby Cheng faces the only one of the 5 other 2000+ players he has not played yet, Laurence Matheson, as white. Yi Yuan will play Jonathan Tang.

In the under 16/18 girls Savithri Narenthran has clinched the title by beating her sister Janaki. She will not have to play in the last round as she is the last player to have the bye in the round robin tournament. Sophie Eustace is sitting in second, although if she does not win tommorrow that place is in doubt.

Scott

Kai
22-01-2011, 06:46 PM
In the combined girls tournament leader May-Yi Foo beat Alanna Chew Lee to maintain her half point lead over Kashish Christian who beat Stephanie Gu. Second seed Joanne Mason, who was very excited before the round that she was playing Denise Lim while her brother, Stuart, was playing Ethan Lim drew with Denise. May-Yi Foo has a tough pairing in Joanne Mason while Kashish Christian plays Alena Chizhova.

In the under 12 Open it was draws for all the contenders with Daniel Lapitan maintaining his 1 point lead. Zachary Loh and Enoch Fan drew their game. Daniel will play Enoch Fan needing only a draw, while the other two equal second players pairings are Peter Wallmueller - Zachary Loh and Joshua Devarajh - Michael Kethro.

In the under 14 Daniel Zhang surprising hesitated when offered a draw by Martin Jack who had a huge advantage. The game was drawn and Daniel goes into the last round leading by 1 point with 7/8. On board 2 the second Lim - Mason pairing was also drawn knocking them out of contention. Ethan Lim is really having a great tournament. Willis Lo kept some pressure on Zhang by beating Alex MacAdam to be outright second on 6 points. Ethan Lim and Stuart Mason are equal third on 5.5 points. In the final round Daniel Zhang is black against Lachlan Cameron and Willis Lo will be black against Stuart Mason

In the Under 16 Alistair Cameron up a piece and attacking against Cameron Yung got lazy and was forced to give up his queen to stop mate, but was totally lost. This means that he needs to win in the last round to avoid a playoff, and he will play Abbie Kanagarajah. Abbie will be looking to help fellow Queenslander Leteisha Simmonds who can win the title, after she moved to only half a point behind by beating Joshua Ng. Bernard Chau could have done the same but lost to Nathan Hibberd who is recovering well from a bad start to the tournament. Tim Li is in third, 1 point off the lead after beating Abbie.

In the under 18 Bobby Cheng beat Jonathan Tang to move to 7.5/8 but as Yi Yuan also won, beating Yi Liu to move to 6.5/8, he has not quite wrapped up the title. Other results mean that it is another 1.5 points back to 8 players equal third on 5/8. In the last round Bobby Cheng faces the only one of the 5 other 2000+ players he has not played yet, Laurence Matheson, as white. Yi Yuan will play Jonathan Tang.

In the under 16/18 girls Savithri Narenthran has clinched the title by beating her sister Janaki. She will not have to play in the last round as she is the last player to have the bye in the round robin tournament. Sophie Eustace is sitting in second, although if she does not win tommorrow that place is in doubt.

Scott

Are the R9 U-18 pairings out anywhere? It doesn't seem to be on the AJCC site yet.

Thanks

Oepty
22-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Are the R9 U-18 pairings out anywhere? It doesn't seem to be on the AJCC site yet.

Thanks

Hopefully they will be up very soon.

Here is the under 18 pairings quickly, I don't have access to SP files at the moment or the other pairings with me now.

Cheng - Matheson
Yuan - Jonathan Tang
Tan - Schon
Jason Tang - Yi Liu
Feng - Addamo
Chen - Morris
Ng - Vijayakumar
Zelesco - Chan
Wang - Lai
Deen-Cowell - Bhattacharya
Hayman - Gibson
Dale - Qin
Daenke - Boon
Spencer - Topol

Under 16

Kanagarajah - Cameron
Simmonds - Fan
Yung - Tim Li
Osbourne - Chau
Cook - Ng
Justin Li - Hibberd
O'Rourke 1-0 bye

Scott

BearDrinkingBeer
22-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Thanks Bear; what do you think of B ch first instead of exchanging Bs, with the idea of infiltrating the K-side with the Queen? (from Black's point of view)
Hmm, the game seems to have taken a drastically different path from what I was expecting. I don't think Black was in a position to attack, however.

Metro
22-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Hopefully they will be up very soon.

Here is the under 18 pairings quickly, I don't have access to SP files at the moment or the other pairings with me now.

Cheng - Matheson

Scott
I wonder if this one will be a quick draw?:hmm:
1.BHCC members.
2.Mates?
3.Bobby wraps up the title.

ER
22-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Hmm, the game seems to have taken a drastically different path from what I was expecting. I don't think Black was in a position to attack, however.

Thanks, BTW I love your E book and all the informative articles you provide for free in your webpage. Excellent info for everyone! :clap:

ER
22-01-2011, 09:13 PM
This means that he needs to win in the last round to avoid a playoff, and he will play Abbie Kanagarajah. Abbie will be looking to help fellow Queenslander Leteisha Simmonds who can win the title, after she moved to only half a point behind by beating Joshua Ng.

Alistair is a great kid and deserves the best but at this stage I fully support the Queenslanders. I met them both at the Surfers Open and I was amazed by their brilliant personalities, excellent play and respect for the game. They both gave simuls at Broadbeach Mall and I drew with Abbie hehe! :)

In the last round Bobby Cheng faces the only one of the 5 other 2000+ players he has not played yet, Laurence Matheson, as white.

That will be the match to watch. The Box Hill Chess Club spirit doesn't allow for crappy draw fixing and any suggestion to the contrary is absolutely ridiculous and should be treated with all the contempt it deserves!

In the under 16/18 girls Savithri Narenthran has clinched the title by beating her sister Janaki. She will not have to play in the last round as she is the last player to have the bye in the round robin tournament.

CONGRATULATIONS SAVITHRI!!! :clap: Now it is up to Janaki to start with new ideas and fighting spirit and build upon her undisputable talent!

Oepty
23-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Under 18 Board 1

1.d4 Nf6 2. c4 c5 3. d5 e6 4. Nc3 exd5 5. cxd5 d6 6. e4 g6 7. h3 Bg7 8. Bd3 0-0 9. Nf3 Na6 10. 0-0 Nc7 11. Re1 Rb8 12. a4 b6 13. Bg5 h6 14. Bf4 a6 15. Qd2 g5 16. Bxd6 Qxd6 17. e5 Qd8 18. exf6 Bxf6 19. Bb1 Bxc3 20. Qd3 Re8 21. Rxe8 Nxe8 22. bxc3 Qf6 23. Nd2 Nd6 24. Ne4 Nxe4 25. Qxe4 Qxc3 26. Qh7+ Kf8 27. Qxh6+ Ke8 28. Ra2 Qe1+ 29. Kh2 Qe5+ 30. g3 Bb7 31. Bf5 Bxd5 32. Qxg5 f6 33. Qh5+ Bf7 34. Qh8+ Ke7 35. Qh7 Rh8= 1/2 - 1/2

Scott

Oepty
23-01-2011, 10:37 AM
All the titles.

Australian Junior Champion - Bobby Cheng
Under 16 - Alistair Cameron
Under 14 - Daniel Zhang
Under 12 - Daniel Lapitan
Under 10 - David Cannon
Under 8 - Kevin Willathgamuwa

Australian Junior Girls Champion - Savithri Narenthran
Under 16 - Ruihong Lu
Under 14 - May-Yi Foo
Under 12 - Kashish Christian
Under 10 - Denali Durden
Under 8 - Jody Middleton

Scott

Oepty
23-01-2011, 03:08 PM
All of today's results and final standings are on the website www.ajcc2011.com.au
The closing ceremony, which I am hiding from, is currently on.

Scott