PDA

View Full Version : CAQ Email Newsletter

Desmond
30-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Ok, I bit my tongue for long enough. Today I read the 9th CAQ Email Newsletter. It is the 8th consecutive one where the lead story has been this:

CAQ POLICY ON UNAUTHORISED WITHDRAWALS

I think it is fair to say that one of the biggest banes of organisers and arbiters alike is when players decide to not show for their final round games without at least informing the arbiter that they will not be present for the final round so the arbiter can at least take that player out of the draw.
Not only is this type of behaviour selfish and in poor form, but it is also against the unauthorised withdrawal policy of the CAQ, which states:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unauthorised Withdrawals:
d) Withdrawals. Any player who has completed the first round of any tournament shall not withdraw from that tournament without approval from the organiser or DOP. A player whose withdrawal has not been approved by the organiser or DOP will be regarded as an unapproved withdrawer. In such cases one or more of the following penalties may be applied:-
- listing as an unapproved withdrawer in CAQ newsletters and/or web site
- and/or suspension from the CAQ
The secretary may request a verbal or written explanation in determining the appropriate course of action
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Players who do not show for a tournament round without prior explanation can expect a please explain letter in the mail from the CAQ Council asking why they failed to show for their tournament game and why one of the above listed actions should not be taken

1. Is there really nothing more interesting to have as the lead story happening in Qld chess than this particularly uninteresting piece of policy? Eight times in a row.
2. Who cares what is the bane of organisers and DOPs alike? Give me something of interest to read as a player.
3. Don't center align everything. Especially bulletised lists.

CameronD
30-03-2010, 09:09 PM
I agree with Boris, its starting to get embarresing. If you want to have this, put it at the end.

The lead article should be a local chess event with a short article of how great it'll be in an effort to get players to play. The greatest problem in chess here is the lack of tournament players, which lead to a lack of local tournaments, personally I think its a doom situation whicj is impossible to fix due to local conditions.

Anyway, good luck to Garvin. I wouldnt be the CAQ president for $100,000, I see no solutions to all the local problems here.

ps- to make things harder now, Im studying and wont be playing tournament chess for the next 6 years.

Ok, I bit my tongue for long enough. Today I read the 9th CAQ Email Newsletter. It is the 8th consecutive one where the lead story has been this:

1. Is there really nothing more interesting to have as the lead story happening in Qld chess than this particularly uninteresting piece of policy? Eight times in a row.
2. Who cares what is the bane of organisers and DOPs alike? Give me something of interest to read as a player.
3. Don't center align everything. Especially bulletised lists.

Moriarty
30-03-2010, 10:06 PM
...I wouldnt be the CAQ president for $100,000

I would.

But aside from that, has there been a few of these late withdrawals recently or is it just a random warning?

Rincewind
30-03-2010, 10:48 PM
has there been a few of these late withdrawals recently or is it just a random warning?

Eight in a row doesn't sound very random. :)

Kevin Bonham
31-03-2010, 12:11 AM
But aside from that, has there been a few of these late withdrawals recently or is it just a random warning?

I know it's an ongoing issue and very frustrating for many organisers. But I certainly wouldn't be screaming it from the top of the rooftops at the head of an email newsletter - best to focus on positive matters first, by all means include it now and then but leading off with it just seems like an odd thing from an effective marketing viewpoint. Not that I know much about marketing, but surely you want to be talking up chess, not leading off by bagging a handful of reprobates.

Moriarty
31-03-2010, 07:51 AM
Eight in a row doesn't sound very random. :)

I meant it more in the Y gen sense!!

Moriarty
31-03-2010, 07:55 AM
I know it's an ongoing issue and very frustrating for many organisers. But I certainly wouldn't be screaming it from the top of the rooftops at the head of an email newsletter - best to focus on positive matters first, by all means include it now and then but leading off with it just seems like an odd thing from an effective marketing viewpoint. Not that I know much about marketing, but surely you want to be talking up chess, not leading off by bagging a handful of reprobates.

On top of all that I feel like I am being accused every time I read it - makes me feel kind of dirty.

Desmond
31-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Exactly. Imagine you're thinking of playing in your first tournament. Everytime you get the bulletin you get beaten over the head with this. What sort of message does it send? I reckon you'd conclude that people get left at the board without an opponent as often as not.

Allan Menham
01-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Better any sort of newsletter than no newsletter

However I think the matter of unauthorised withdrawals should not be mentioned in every newsletter rather some sort of special mention on the CAQ website
:D

Garvinator
01-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Feedback has been noted and some changes will be made. Next email newsletter will be going out Tuesday 6th April.

Anyone who wants to sign up to receive the newsletter, please fill in the mailing list information on the CAQ home page: http://caq.org.au/

ER
01-04-2010, 10:03 PM
On top of all that I feel like I am being accused every time I read it - makes me feel kind of dirty.
Hey Count, looks like Bluebottle rides again! ("You deaded me"!) :P

Moriarty
04-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Hey Count, looks like Bluebottle rides again! ("You deaded me"!) :P

You rotten swine!!

ER
04-04-2010, 02:36 PM
You rotten swine!!

It's writted on this bit of paper, points at the script, that was my lines, is writted. :rolleyes: