PDA

View Full Version : Predictions on winners for Doeberl Cup in Premier, Major and Minor

lost
30-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Hi everyone,

I thought I would start up a thread about the predictions of winners for the Premier, Major and Minor tournaments.

If you don't know who is playing in the Major and Minor tournaments go to www.doeberlcup.com.au to find out.

The moderators might want to include it with the current Doeberl Cup thread but I thoughts I would start this thread up.

lost

smurfo
30-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Seeds 23, 25 and 26 to finish in the top 10.

Tristan and Sherab to perform at 2400 for the evening games ;)

The Bennett
30-03-2010, 03:43 PM
I predict that Li Chao would be the most likely to win the premier, but I really want either smerdon, Zong or Andras to win :), I predict Blair will win the major and Willis Lo win win minor (he's so very tactical)

Is it possible to maybe get a poll? Thats if any1 knows how :lol:

The Bennett
30-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Seeds 23, 25 and 26 to finish in the top 10.

Tristan and Sherab to perform at 2400 for the evening games ;)
Great supporter of us juniors you are :) Good luck David and beat Li Chao :owned:

lost
30-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Great supporter of us juniors you are :) Good luck David and beat Li Chao :owned:

My predictions are:

Premier- David Smerdon or George Xie
Major- Kerry Stead
Minor- Joshua Dalton or Sophie Eustace

However as much as I would personally like to win the Minor, I must say this would have to be one of the strongest, if not the strongest Minor tournament I have played in.

lost

Watto
31-03-2010, 10:35 AM
For the Premier event itís hard to go past Li Chao or Zhao. I wouldnít be surprised if the 6th seeded Smerdon was to win though as like Zhao he has a slight home advantage over the other GMs and heís good at winning these big events. Itís going to be fascinating to see how the lower rated Ďrising starsí go.

In the Major, Iíll stick my neck out and go for 7th seed Samuel Dalton.

For the Minor Iíll go for 4th seed Joshua Dalton- he was impressive at Ballarat.
I doubt theyíll win this year but Iím pretty sure Ari Dale and Michael Addamo will place much higher than their seeding. To show Iím not completely Victorian centred Ö my second pick is Trent Parker.

MichaelBaron
31-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Premier - Zhao or Smerdon as Li Chao will be a bit jet legged

Goughfather
31-03-2010, 12:41 PM
My picks:

For the Premier, Vladimir Malaniuk. I've never played through any of his games and I don't really even know who he is, but suffice to say, I have a good feeling about him.

For the Major, Anton Smirnov, as long as he has enough juice to last throughout the entire long weekend.

For the Minor, Megan Setiabudi. I've heard her described as the reincarnation of Alana Chibnall and given Alana's heroics last year, that's a good enough sign for me.

Trent Parker
31-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Premier: An aussie....... Smerdon, Zhao, Xie...... one of them!

Major: Bolens will place but imo not win. Blair will try to win a losing game and probably succeed........My pick: Kerry stead from bolens and blair

Minor..... I'm picking recent entrant Mark stokes to win (how he keeps his rating below 1600 I do not know :D). After winning Aus Minor and GC Minor last year, Definitely the favorite.

As for the second seed..... i think he's a bit of a choker isn't he? :D

Garrett
31-03-2010, 01:27 PM
I predict a three way tie between

Zhao, Zong-Yuan
Smerdon, David
Kunte, Ahbijit

Garrett
31-03-2010, 01:29 PM
My predictions are:

Major- Kerry Stead

lost

That would surprise me only because I don't think Kerry has played much at all lately.

But looks like Trent has picked him too !!

Jim_Flood
31-03-2010, 02:37 PM
What are the odds. I prefer to see where the money is flowing before I place a bet.

Damn. Centerbet covers poker and farcical elections but not chess. What a shame.:(

Garvinator
31-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Zhao, Mandla and Stokes.

smurfo
31-03-2010, 03:17 PM
While I'm flattered by the above, I don't think I've played a real game since Siberia, and I didn't even win one over there!

Zhao and Malaniuk are my picks, although Gawain is overdue for a big result. Regardless, here's hoping Georgie picks up the big norm, and at least one of the 'kids' gets an Immie.

Stead and Stokes for the others. Junta to take out the lightning. Emma Guo to take best female.

Broncos to flatten the Roosters in the battle of the rebounds. Athena to win best waitress at the Hellenic Club. The Bon Jovi band to never again repeat their memorable performance at the Club a few weekends ago.

that Caesar guy
31-03-2010, 04:30 PM
What are the odds. I prefer to see where the money is flowing before I place a bet.

Damn. Centerbet covers poker and farcical elections but not chess. What a shame.:(
Agreed, amen to that. I wanna waste my money on something I have a little bit of knowledge on first :P

sleepless
31-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Zhao for the Premier, Cloudsdale for the Major and Eustace for the Minor.

Nicholas D-C
31-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Premier - Can't go past Zhao, but I think Smurfo and Xie will do very well.

Major - Mandla and Chan

Minor - Stokes and Parker have the experience

Oepty
31-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Premier - I will stick with a local and go with Zhao, but have no idea what kind of form the overseas GMs are in.

Major - Very tough at the top - the top 15 are probably all good chances. Love to see Cloudsdale win two in a row but I will pick Mandla.

Minor - From playing in it last year ratings seemed to be no guide at all. Probably be the same this year. There is even one player in the bottom half who I think could win it, but I will go with Joshua Dalton.

Scott

Gattaca
31-03-2010, 06:56 PM

Pinnacle Sports and Betsson both cover chess.

Premier: Zong Yuan Zhao (Smerdon the danger)
Major: Jason Chan (Fitzpatrick the danger)
Minor: Shan Shan Qiao (Kenmure the danger)
U/1200: Tony Solomon (Guo the danger)
(Though somehow Super GM Wesley So seems to have got in! Maybe he's been in poor form and the Philippines also uses the Glicko?)

Alana
01-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Zhao for the Premier, Cloudsdale for the Major and Eustace for the Minor.

Like this prediction for Eustace winning the minor. That'd be awesome have three females in a row :).

Anyway my predictions:

Zhao for the Premier but I'm going for Smurf. Max or Emma for the Bedi cup.
Major would be Blair, but I think Andrey Bliznyuk has a good chance after ACT Champs.
Megan or Sophie for the minor.
Jo Mason for u1200! Or Jamie-Lee Guo :)

GO ACT :)

ER
01-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Bobby to be amongst the prizes!

Watto
06-04-2010, 11:12 AM
For the Premier event itís hard to go past Li Chao or Zhao. I wouldnít be surprised if the 6th seeded Smerdon was to win though as like Zhao he has a slight home advantage over the other GMs and heís good at winning these big events. Itís going to be fascinating to see how the lower rated Ďrising starsí go.

In the Major, Iíll stick my neck out and go for 7th seed Samuel Dalton.

For the Minor Iíll go for 4th seed Joshua Dalton- he was impressive at Ballarat.
I doubt theyíll win this year but Iím pretty sure Ari Dale and Michael Addamo will place much higher than their seeding. To show Iím not completely Victorian centred Ö my second pick is Trent Parker.
Well, not too bad at all. Got the Minor wrong but at least I was sure Michael Addamo would perform well Ö gave him credit but just not quite enough at this stage of his chess career (fantastic performance, Michael :clap: )

Kerry Stead
06-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Apologies to the tipsters, could only manage 5/7 to become part of the massive tie for 3rd.
As pointed out I haven't played much chess of late (last tourney prior to this was the Zonal & weekender on the Gold Coast last year), so I'll blame rust ... though its probably just because I played shockingly in two games!
I may have had better results if I could have just had 7 whites ... I seem to do better when I move first

ER
07-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Bobby to be amongst the prizes!

Told you so!
I also predict that he will be the youngest ever Australian GM!

AzureBlue
07-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Told you so!
I also predict that he will be the youngest ever Australian GM!
At what age did Zhao become a GM?

Kevin Bonham
07-04-2010, 11:14 PM
At what age did Zhao become a GM?

Qualified at age 21, not sure if it was formally awarded before his 22nd birthday or not.