I'm shotgunning Melbourne Knights as our teamname :P

JM

Carl Gorka
16-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Lol ok then.

Thanks for the details :D. Any idea who is on the teams? :P

I'm shotgunning Melbourne Knights as our teamname :P

JM

You can negotiate with Malcolm over team names, he will be your captain and team mate.

You've also got Jesse Jager, and I'm waiting on Guy West and Bill Jordan. If these guys don't come through you may get lumbered with some duffer like me:P

Not sure of other teams...Box Hill will field a strong first team, Noble Park and Serbia also will have pretty good teams, and there might be a pretty decent Melbourne Uni team if they can get their act together.

Lekko
16-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Are there divisions? Our top board player is 1500 >_>

that Caesar guy
16-03-2010, 08:00 PM
You can negotiate with Malcolm over team names, he will be your captain and team mate.

You've also got Jesse Jager, and I'm waiting on Guy West and Bill Jordan. If these guys don't come through you may get lumbered with some duffer like me:P

Not sure of other teams...Box Hill will field a strong first team, Noble Park and Serbia also will have pretty good teams, and there might be a pretty decent Melbourne Uni team if they can get their act together.
I thought Guy West would be going to Croydon...meh.
And what about Teichmann?

JM

Carl Gorka
16-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Are there divisions? Our top board player is 1500 >_>

No divisions this year, just one big swiss, but next year there are plans for divisions. Still, there will be teams of all strengths, not just the very strong.

Carl Gorka
16-03-2010, 09:18 PM
I thought Guy West would be going to Croydon...meh.
And what about Teichmann?

JM

Croydon don't seem to be fielding a team, otherwise Guy would probably play for them. Teichmann doesn't want to play league chess, and there are others who also don't want to play team chess.

Lekko
16-03-2010, 10:00 PM
No divisions this year, just one big swiss, but next year there are plans for divisions. Still, there will be teams of all strengths, not just the very strong.
Lovely...

Grant Szuveges
16-03-2010, 11:44 PM
At the CV presidents meeting in early 2009, we agreed on a name "Melbourne Chess Club Lions", so the best MCC team has that option - or it could be the name used for all of the MCC teams together.

george
17-03-2010, 05:58 AM
Hi Grant,

In SA we have had regular interclub matches winter and spring since adam was a boy. One year Adelaide Uni had a number of teams which were called after cheeses (thats right different cheeses) another time after wine. I guess you had to be there - or was it just an Adelaide thing.

Regards
George

that Caesar guy
17-03-2010, 12:46 PM
With my team and Frank's team, it seems that there are another two teams who are interested: Box Hill Chess and Canterbury Juniors.

Box Hill:
Chris Wallis
Doug Hamilton
Geoff Cook
Kevin Brown

Canterbury Juniors:
Bobby Cheng
Laurence Matheson
Justin Tan
Michael Chan.

Frank Lekkas's team (name undecided :P)
Frank Lekkas
Michael Addamo
Deniz Tuncer
Michael Tanner.

JM

Lekko
17-03-2010, 04:46 PM
With my team and Frank's team, it seems that there are another two teams who are interested: Box Hill Chess and Canterbury Juniors.

Box Hill:
Chris Wallis
Doug Hamilton
Geoff Cook
Kevin Brown

Canterbury Juniors:
Bobby Cheng
Laurence Matheson
Justin Tan
Michael Chan.

Frank Lekkas's team (name undecided :P)
Frank Lekkas
Michael Addamo
Deniz Tuncer
Michael Tanner.

JM
Not really my team, Mike got us together.

Carl Gorka
17-03-2010, 04:58 PM

JM

There are other clubs as well....Serbia, Noble Park, Frankston, Hobson's Bay who I believe are all putting teams in. Geelong, Melbourne Uni, Ranges and Croydon are all yet to decide. And both box hill/canterbury and mcc will be putting multiple teams in. I can't speak for BHCC, but MCC will have at least 4 teams.

And then, of course, there may be teams of players who don't have a club alignment....

Garrett
17-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Not really my team, Mike got us together.

yeah well go for it.

I've played or seen you lot in action and you're all capable of upsetting some of the big guns !

Lekko
17-03-2010, 10:39 PM
yeah well go for it.

I've played or seen you lot in action and you're all capable of upsetting some of the big guns !
Yeah... it's going to be fun playing board 1
>_>
<_<
>_<

Spiny Norman
18-03-2010, 04:43 AM
Some people are Croydon are keen to play, however I am not sure whether there are enough of them who are both available and committed enough to make a team. Being a Swiss, instead of based around ratings divisions, some of the matches are going to be horrendously lopsided. We could probably field a pretty decent quality C-grade team.

MichaelBaron
18-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Yeah... it's going to be fun playing board 1
>_>
<_<
>_<

A lot of fun....:wall: :owned: ;)

Watto
18-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Being a Swiss, instead of based around ratings divisions, some of the matches are going to be horrendously lopsided.
Yes, it seems an odd decision to have no divisions. You’d think there could at least be an A grade and then one below. In a large Swiss where individuals are playing, it’s fun to play the stronger players. But for a teams event, the fact that the weaker teams no matter how keen are set to be crushed by stronger opposition and have no hope of winning prizes seems not to be in the spirit of interclub. Anyway, it should be a good workout for the lower rated players ... might welll lead to rapid improvements in their play … if their spirits haven’t been butchered as well, that is… ;)

Basil
18-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Yes, it seems an odd decision to have no divisions. You’d think there could at least be an A grade and then one below. In a large Swiss where individuals are playing, it’s fun to play the stronger players. But for a teams event, the fact that the weaker teams no matter how keen are set to be crushed by stronger opposition and have no hope of winning prizes seems not to be in the spirit of interclub. Anyway, it should be a good workout for the lower rated players ... might welll lead to rapid improvements in their play … if their spirits haven’t been butchered as well, that is… ;)
Quite. The last thing one would want is a farce (http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=273262&postcount=6).

MichaelBaron
18-03-2010, 11:14 AM
In my opinion, having divisions is essential for building up greater profile for the tournament. Ideally, Top division teams should be trying to obtain at least small sponsorship from local businesses, councils etc. while others should be aiming to make it to the top division. Having a strong chess league can be instrumental to development of a semi-professional chess scene.

However, given that the Vic Team Championship is going to be a new event added to the calendar - I think it is great that it is running in the first place! Once the 2010 season is over - it will surely be possible to review the current format.:hmm:

Garvinator
18-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Quite. The last thing one would want is a farce (http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=273262&postcount=6).Well of course that linked interclub competition is a bit of a farce when even the largest CAQ membership club could not even find four players to represent and neither could the club with supposedly the largest number of juniors. :wall:

Basil
18-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Well of course that linked interclub competition is a bit of a farce when even the largest CAQ membership club could not even find four players to represent and neither could the club with supposedly the largest number of juniors. :wall:
A farce nonetheless.

SHump
18-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Yes, it seems an odd decision to have no divisions. .... Anyway, it should be a good workout for the lower rated players ... might welll lead to rapid improvements in their play … if their spirits haven’t been butchered as well, that is… ;)
Ranges will be fielding one team, with probably an average rating of 1300, depending on who plays on any particular night. We are hoping for only moderate butchering of spirits.

Carl Gorka
18-03-2010, 09:44 PM
The reason there were no divisions this year was that there were virtually no teams last year, so CV didn't know whether their new system would attract enough teams to make up divisions.

There is an intention to have different divisions after this year once the idea of a home and away league has been tested out and approved of by the clubs. I met Leonid Sandler this morning and he mentioned a number of different prize ideas he has and a single venue/single date last round in November. I can't go into any more details as they were merely speculations.

Carl Gorka
18-03-2010, 09:48 PM
The Melbourne Chess Club will be putting forward 1 strong team, 1 quite strong team, and 2-3 other teams of players ranging from U-1000 to about 1600-1700 strength.

I also believe that Chesskids will be raising a team, half senior and half junior.:)

I still don't know who I'll be playing for:lol:

Watto
18-03-2010, 11:19 PM
However, given that the Vic Team Championship is going to be a new event added to the calendar - I think it is great that it is running in the first place!
Agreed. Croydon met tonight and we've decided to enter a team I'm pleased to say. It's going to have a pretty wide range of strengths ... from A to D grade.

Lekko
18-03-2010, 11:37 PM
I think we're MCC Hammer

george
19-03-2010, 05:26 AM
hi All,
I've been noticing you guys have names like serbia for your teams. These ethnic names have been banned for use for some time due to stirring up racial discrimination - I mean for years.

Please check the legality of using such names for teams such as Macedonia etc etc.

Call it political correctness call it whatever but I believe its the law - just an observation.

that Caesar guy
19-03-2010, 06:25 AM
I think we're MCC Hammer
lol ;)

mikesguns
19-03-2010, 06:43 AM
lol ;)
Its a great name

Igor_Goldenberg
19-03-2010, 08:14 AM
I am interested, depending on schedule and a team willing to take me.

Carl Gorka
19-03-2010, 08:42 AM
hi All,
I've been noticing you guys have names like serbia for your teams. These ethnic names have been banned for use for some time due to stirring up racial discrimination - I mean for years.

Please check the legality of using such names for teams such as Macedonia etc etc.

Call it political correctness call it whatever but I believe its the law - just an observation.

No need to worry. The "serbia" monicker is descriptive. The name of their team is "City of Yarra", but we call them the Serbian team because that's what they are.:)

Carl Gorka
19-03-2010, 08:45 AM
I am interested, depending on schedule and a team willing to take me.

I'm sure many teams would be willing to take you, Igor:)

Perhaps you and Leonid could create an Elwood/St Kilda/Bayside team. The teams don't necessarily have to be fully representative of a single club.

SHump
19-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Re team names..was thinking as there are 4 players to a team, and sometimes they are not well known to each other, that for our team we could be called the "Forest Ranges" (say it in a yank accent - or say "four strangers" if you must, but I hate having to explain a joke:) ).

Carl Gorka
20-03-2010, 05:03 PM
The MCC are still arranging teams but it looks like we'll have something approaching the following.

2 teams that may be able to play in the first division.

1. Jager, Jordan, Morris, Pyke, Skiotis
2. Beaumont, Gorka, Kildisis, Ly, Lycett, Pecori

Other teams that may be better placed in the lower division.

1. Addamo, Lekkas, Tanner, Tuncer
2/3. Ashlock, Chmiel, Dale, Krishmanurty, Martin, Warren.

It is possible that these teams will change or that more players may want to add themselves. Thanks goes to CV for extending the deadline for 2 weeks.

Watto
20-03-2010, 08:12 PM
For those who don't receive the CV newsletter and are confused by the fact that there now appear to be divisions (after the discussions in previous posts), I just thought I'd mention that the great news from today's newsletter is that there has been a lot of interest from different clubs.

CV say they have 'high confidence' that at least 9 clubs are putting in teams (quite a number of them will be multiple teams) and potentially more clubs as well.

So as the newsletter puts it, "With the potential strength of the entries we have decided to run two separate divisions. An A Division and a B Division."

Spiny Norman
21-03-2010, 05:38 AM
With the undoubted benefits of hindsight, it might have been advisable to make this decision on divisions during the planning phase for the event, rather than on the fly, then tell clubs "We plan on running a Swiss format, but if we get enough entries, we will run two divisions". Surely it cannot have been that hard to foresee? e.g.
Q. what do we do if we only get 5 team entries? A: play a round robin
Q. what do we do if we get 10 team entries? A: play it as a Swiss
Q. what do we do if we get 20+ team entries? A: split into 2 divisions
This sort of forward planning is done for virtually every major tournament in Australia (Open, Under 2000, Under 1600, etc) so perhaps CV could take this on board for the future and settle on a single, reproduceable, standard format for Interclub matches in VIC? It looks to me like the wheel is being reinvented every single year with this event.

Carl Gorka
23-03-2010, 05:03 PM
After talking with Leonid Sandler this morning, it would appear there will be a pretty strong top division with hopefully 8 teams in round robin format.

There are likely to be over 10 other teams in a second division that would have to be played under swiss rules, unless enough teams register to warrant 3 divisions. I'm not sure that this would be the case, or even whether it would happen.

I have now decided that I will be playing alongside my MCC comrades/members in a 'b' team that will compete in the first division. I was going to play for chesskids, but that team will be a second division team and will consist of some coaches and some kids. There could also be a second chesskids team made up of just kids. A potentially strong team from chess ideas could see Johansen and Hacche leading a challenge for the top division, while Leonid suggested that he could start a team with Igor Goldenberg and some others from the St. Kilda/Elwood/Bayside area.

A likely first division:

1. Yarra (Rujevic, Stojic, Stojic et al)
2. BHCC (Wallis, Hamilton et al)
3. Canterbury (Cheng, Matheson et al)
4. MCC (Jordan, Morris et al)
5. Noble Park (Dragicevic, Dizdarevic et al)
6. MCC 2 (Gorka, Pecori et al)
7. Bayside (Goldenberg, Sandler et al)
8. ??? could be Chess Ideas, or rumour also has it that an "Old Warhorse" team may be forming.

Second division teams may be:
Canterbury 2
BHCC 2
MCC 3
MCC 4
Croydon
Ranges
Hobson's Bay
Yarra 2
Geelong
Chess Kids
Chess Kids 2

There is still time for more teams to join up. Frankston, for instance, haven't signed up yet, but I would imagine they would enter at least one team and other teams could yet form. Of course, if players would like to play and don't have a team, then they can contact Leonid Sandler or me and we can try to help them find teams

ER
23-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Hi Carl, some players (like myself) might need to know the days, times and venues of the event so we can organise our schedule ahead.
Any related information?

Carl Gorka
23-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Hi Carl, some players (like myself) might need to know the days, times and venues of the event so we can organise our schedule ahead.
Any related information?

This is a home and away league, so games will be played on the night the home team play. This will be arranged between the team captains so a night will be chosen for each individual match.

The rounds will be played once a month from May to November inclusive, so we are only talking about committing to only one night per month to this event. Saying that, teams will consist of 4 players for matches, but each team has a squad of players to choose from, so if one player is unavailable, there should be others to take his place.

The venues are the clubs themselves, and each team will have its own home venue. Saying that, teams may select to play their matches at another club to avoid clashes with there own schedule. Not all clubs are as fortunate as MCC or BHCC which have multiple meeting times. Noble Park, for instance may have to play some home games at a different venue if their Saturday's are full of tournament fixtures. This would be fine.

So, in the name of flexibility, there are no set fixed dates for matches, and no fixed venues. I know this does not suit everyone, but it seems preferable to a majority than the previous system.

Lekko
23-03-2010, 09:00 PM
lol ;)
Can't touch this...

Garvinator
23-03-2010, 09:08 PM
With the undoubted benefits of hindsight, it might have been advisable to make this decision on divisions during the planning phase for the event, rather than on the fly, then tell clubs "We plan on running a Swiss format, but if we get enough entries, we will run two divisions". Surely it cannot have been that hard to foresee? e.g.
Q. what do we do if we only get 5 team entries? A: play a round robin
Q. what do we do if we get 10 team entries? A: play it as a Swiss
Q. what do we do if we get 20+ team entries? A: split into 2 divisions
This sort of forward planning is done for virtually every major tournament in Australia (Open, Under 2000, Under 1600, etc) so perhaps CV could take this on board for the future and settle on a single, reproduceable, standard format for Interclub matches in VIC? It looks to me like the wheel is being reinvented every single year with this event.
Advertising different divisions in the first model, especially where it is advertised as under 2000, under 1600 for example, most likely would not work as some teams may only enter on the basis that the division is for under 1600's only. Also, teams will have been formed for an under 1600 division and so then if the competition needs to be one single swiss, those teams will be slaughtered, where had they known it was going to be an open swiss from the start, they could have chosen a couple of higher rated players to help with not being crushed.

I would assume the decision to advertise one single division swiss from the start comes from the basis of looking at previous interclubs and believing that the competition would struggle to field even only one division, let alone two or three divisions and so they chose the model that gave the greatest chance of success, without the embarrassment of having to cancel the competition where six teams are nominated, but those six teams are spread between four divisions.

We have all these issues up here and it has not been successful.

Carl Gorka
26-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Ballarat and Dandenong Chess Clubs have entered teams over the past day or 2. With Dandenong involved, it means that the only metropolitan Melbourne club not involved yet is Frankston, but word is they will be getting something together.

The entry of Ballarat is great for country Victoria :clap:

Carl Gorka
15-04-2010, 11:22 PM
First division is settled as 7 team round robin:)

CV will be officially announcing all on its website in the next couple of days, but for now there is some speculation on my blog:D

that Caesar guy
16-04-2010, 07:52 AM
Sounds pretty good, hopefully the sooner the better to get it underway :)
But why do we have to play the other MCC team at home, and waste our precious home game :P

JM

ER
25-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Almost half a year after the original announcement of this event taking place, all concentration and publicity seems to be centered around the first teams with names of their members announced etc.
Nothing about lower rated teams composition in the official CV site.
http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com/2010_vic_teams_comp.htm
So the proud tradition of discrimination between Patricians and Plebeians proudly continues.
Reminds me of the most recent Vic Championships when tables with names and titles were set for the big names and for the rest of us it was "hey find your opponents and go sit somewhere overthere" case!
The unfair and blatantly boorish situation was of course fixed when I told them in no uncertain terms what I thought of this nonsense!
Now we have a "go to your club and ask them!" situation.
No way! It's not my club that organises the event.
It's the CV and as such they should respect ALL players regardless of ratings and divisions.
After all it's our Plebeian (the majority's) money Ralph!
I would also like to hear David Cordover's opinion on this matter!

Carl Gorka
25-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Almost half a year after the original announcement of this event taking place, all concentration and publicity seems to be centered around the first teams with names of their members announced etc.
So the proud tradition of discrimination between Patricians and Plebeians proudly continues.
Reminds me of the most recent Vic Championships when tables with names and titles were set for the big names and for the rest of us it was "hey find your opponents and go sit somewhere overthere" case!
The unfair and blatantly boorish situation was of course fixed when I told them in no uncertain terms what I thought of this nonsense!
Now we have a "go to your club and ask them!" situation.
No way! It's not my club that organises the event.
It's the CV and as such they should respect ALL players regardless of ratings and divisions.
After all it's our Plebeian (the majority's) money Ralph!

Actually, you might want to reconsider this, as the Pres of CV has been hassling clubs/teams/captains to get their team composition to him, but I don't think everyone has confirmed. Leonid sent out an email Friday asking for final confimation of teams and captains, but CV can hardly be blamed if participants don't register information on time and it would be inappropriate to put guesswork on the official site.

I think the website will show all the teams who have given their team composition by the end of April, and any who haven't will be known to all as not having sent their team details. I think it's good of CV to not name and shame straight off, but give a deadline.

As for the first division, the composition of the teams was given to the CV exec at least a week ago, but as there are 7 players allowed per squad, new members may be brought into teams so even those teams may be incomplete.

ER
25-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Actually, you might want to reconsider this, as the Pres of CV has been hassling clubs/teams/captains to get their team composition to him, but I don't think everyone has confirmed. Leonid sent out an email Friday asking for final confimation of teams and captains, but CV can hardly be blamed if participants don't register information on time and it would be inappropriate to put guesswork on the official site.
I think the website will show all the teams who have given their team composition by the end of April, and any who haven't will be known to all as not having sent their team details. I think it's good of CV to not name and shame straight off, but give a deadline.
As for the first division, the composition of the teams was given to the CV exec at least a week ago, but as there are 7 players allowed per squad, new members may be brought into teams so even those teams may be incomplete.
I reconsider nothing, I have made my intention to participate known to my club and so have other players. I am sure my Club has no reason to keep secret the composition of its teams. Has yours? If yes congratulations!

Other teams that may be better placed in the lower division.
1. Addamo, Lekkas, Tanner, Tuncer 2/3. Ashlock, Chmiel, Dale, Krishmanurty, Martin, Warren.
If yes how come their names aren't in the CV's website?
This, in my opinion, is a general attitudinal trait on behalf of the CV and as I have explained in the previous post applies to other fields as well.

The above also means that if I wanted your opinion on the matter I would have asked for it! You aren't David Cordover are you? What is it to you anyway? As far as I know you aren't a CV executive yet and I don't really believe you are Leonid's mouthpiece either.
I have publicly exrpessed verbally and in written form here that I have faith in your person and that your contribution to Chess development as a player, teacher and administrator is remarkable. Talking on behalf of others and in particular answering questions not directed to your person is not included amongst the criteria that have assisted me to form this opinion!

Carl Gorka
25-04-2010, 07:55 PM
I reconsider nothing, I have made my intention to participate known to my club and so have other players. I am sure my Club has no reason to keep secret the composition of its teams. Has yours? If yes congratulations! If yes how come their names aren't in the CV's website?
This, in my opinion, is a general attitudinal trait on behalf of the CV and as I have explained in the previous post applies to other fields as well.

I know for a fact all the teams haven't been forwarded to CV. The first division teams weren't announced officially until all the teams had been forwarded to CV. I'm guessing CV is waiting for all the teams to forward names of their players before announcing this on their website.

The above also means that if I wanted your opinion on the matter I would have asked for it! You aren't David Cordover are you? What is it to you anyway? As far as I know you aren't a CV executive yet and I don't really believe you are Leonid's mouthpiece either.

I'm no one's mouthpiece, you are right. And I don't respond to much on forum issues unless I have a definite opinion on the matter. So what is it to me? I think you were making something out of nothing and not giving CV a chance. I helped with the preparation of this event a lot and so probably know as much about it as anyone. I'm not on the CV exec as you say, but I've been kept closely informed by the CV Pres.

I have publicly exrpessed verbally and in written form here that I have faith in your person and that your contribution to Chess development as a player, teacher and administrator is remarkable. Talking on behalf of others and in particular answering questions not directed to your person is not included amongst the criteria that have assisted me to form this opinion!

This is a public forum, so when you make a statement you should expect anyone to answer you, especially if they have some intimate knowledge of the subject you raise. If someone does and you don't like what they say, then debate, don't give them grief for opening their mouth.

ER
25-04-2010, 08:19 PM
I 'll come back with more specific comments to the above later, because I am really busy at present.
A positive thing out of all this:
The CV website was inspired by all this, and all of a sudden the composition of a very talented team of younsters from the Canterbury Juniors Chess Club appeared at the website!!!:clap:

BTW how come they didn't wait till the end of April to publish all teams together as you suggested? :hmm:

This is a public forum, so when you make a statement you should expect anyone to answer you, especially if they have some intimate knowledge of the subject you raise. If someone does and you don't like what they say, then debate, don't give them grief for opening their mouth.
Of course all comments are welcome, however, I asked for particular answers from specific sources ie
CV re present committee in regards to specific policies and situations and
David Cordover as the main opposition to the status quo, in order to have alternative policies presented.

ChessGuru
25-04-2010, 09:41 PM

Thanks for asking for an opinion! I probably don't have much to add to the discussion:

a) It is great that CV has finally delivered something! Admittedly Gorka did all the work to round-up teams and re-create the format etc, but having an interclub event is a big step forwards! Hopefully the trophies officer at CV has done his part and will have the trophies ready in 7 months when the event is over.

b) I really like the methodology of DOING stuff first (like getting entries) and then working out the format on the fly -- again thanks have to go to Gorka who just got up and made some calls! If you were to wait for a committee to decide how it should be run in every different eventuality then we'd be waiting another 6 months! More DO less discuss is a good policy IMO.

c) CV website - it's still a disaster zone. Better to rely on the forums or the emails going around. I'm fiddling around when I have time (not much at the moment) trying to get a nice leagues-table at http://chessclub.com.au/tournaments/leagues-interclub/ I'll let you know if I manage to get it working.

d) The scheduling 'it's up to you' policy is a bit strange, you wouldn't want to be paying an entry fee for this; but for now I think it is a reasonable way of just letting things happen. Long term you'd want to see more structure and CV putting in some time and energy into the event, but for now it is a club event and run by the clubs. Good that it is happening! You have to ask yourself the question - what can CV do to add to the event? Clubs put up players, venues, arrange matches, arbiters and report scores...

e) Having names of top teams online before lower teams is probably an reflection of the attitude of many tournament organisers. They believe that the players rated 2000+ are who they have to serve and that everyone else will put up with almost anything just to be in the same room (or same event, different room) and have a chance to play an exalted one. Even in this event we see the top division outnumbered 2:1 by the bottom. Yes, would be nice to see more respect given to the mid-low rated players, after all they are the bulk players in all events, they pay the most in entry fees and take home virtually none of the prizes.

Overall I think that it's a big step forward to have the event actually happening and we have Carl Gorka to thank for it. As you say I'm an opponent of status-quo and this is a change so I've got to be in favour.

Carl Gorka
25-04-2010, 09:54 PM
BTW how come they didn't wait till the end of April to publish all teams together as you suggested? :hmm:

A good point and one I can't answer. I will not defend all the actions of CV, but I'll also give them a fair go at running this. Let's remember, Leonid is essentially running the exec almost single handedly, and he isn't the webmaster of the CV website. The first round is supposed to run throughout May, so if things aren't updated fully by Friday I would start to get concerned.

Carl Gorka
25-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks for asking for an opinion! I probably don't have much to add to the discussion:

d) The scheduling 'it's up to you' policy is a bit strange, you wouldn't want to be paying an entry fee for this; but for now I think it is a reasonable way of just letting things happen. Long term you'd want to see more structure and CV putting in some time and energy into the event, but for now it is a club event and run by the clubs. Good that it is happening! You have to ask yourself the question - what can CV do to add to the event? Clubs put up players, venues, arrange matches, arbiters and report scores...

Overall I think that it's a big step forward to have the event actually happening and we have Carl Gorka to thank for it. As you say I'm an opponent of status-quo and this is a change so I've got to be in favour.

Personally, the 'up to you' policy is the way many local leagues work across the World, and let's be honest, this is a local league. Admittedly, the usual idea is to have a captain's meeting before the season starts, but as this is the first year with this format, there were no clubs or captains to meet, and there are still many teams without captains or even players registered.

As for my role, I just want to play team chess which has always been my favourite competition type, so I tried to get some like minded people to join in, and CV liked the idea and adopted the event.

Publicist
26-04-2010, 06:06 AM
All the information that has so far been provided by the clubs to CV has been immediately [well almost immediately anyway] posted on the CV web site. So if you have a problem talk to your team manager at your club and get him to pull his finger out. I deliberately said him as the only two completed submissions so far have come from women. If this does not work do the usual thing and shoot the messenger

ER
26-04-2010, 02:31 PM
So what is it to me? I think you were making something out of nothing and not giving CV a chance.
You are wrong here. Your interpretation of my need for specific information as making something out of nothing is simply denigrating my plight of working on deadlines and the necessity to organise my priorities.

Admittedly Gorka did all the work to round-up teams and re-create the format etc, but having an interclub event is a big step forwards! Hopefully the trophies officer at CV has done his part and will have the trophies ready in 7 months when the event is over.
Thanks for your response David.
First of all, it proved something that I should have already guessed. That is Gorka being his usual hard working (and always willing to help) self ended up doing the whole work instead of just giving a helping hand. His commendable contributions, are recognised by all and we all respect him for it. I, personally, have reasons to be thankful to him and our disagreement here should not be interpreted as disrespect to him and his work.
Secondly, it gave us an insight of your opinion to this matter since, as in other matters, we like to know your opinion as an alternative authority in Chess matters of our State.

ER
26-04-2010, 08:27 PM
All the information that has so far been provided by the clubs to CV has been immediately [well almost immediately anyway] posted on the CV web site. So if you have a problem talk to your team manager at your club and get him to pull his finger out. I deliberately said him as the only two completed submissions so far have come from women. If this does not work do the usual thing and shoot the messenger
Captain with all due respect I have communicated with my team manager with matters that concern my person and his response was adequate enough. However, this is not a Clubs' event it's a CV event and it's claimed so in their website.
So my original question remains unanswered, apart from one inclusion which occurred yesterday after I started making noise!

http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com/20...teams_comp.htm

Carl Gorka
26-04-2010, 11:36 PM
You are wrong here. Your interpretation of my need for specific information as making something out of nothing is simply denigrating my plight of working on deadlines and the necessity to organise my priorities.

No denigration intended, just a difference of opinion. Peace:)

I'm meeting Leonid tomorrow morning, PM me if you'd like me to pass on your feelings about this.

MichaelBaron
27-04-2010, 10:29 AM
While its nice to see the team compositions published, is it really such a huge issue? Even more importantly, in professional chess (and not only chess) leagues, it is normal for players to join leagues half-season. Ok, we have not got any money involved so no chance to have ''hired guns'' - but if some team that has 4 players only loses one of its team members to overseas travel etc. Should they not be able to get someone else as a substitute?. I think its a friendly competition and should be played in a friendly way. The more players can get involved - the better.

Carl Gorka
27-04-2010, 11:06 AM
While its nice to see the team compositions published, is it really such a huge issue? Even more importantly, in professional chess (and not only chess) leagues, it is normal for players to join leagues half-season. Ok, we have not got any money involved so no chance to have ''hired guns'' - but if some team that has 4 players only loses one of its team members to overseas travel etc. Should they not be able to get someone else as a substitute?. I think its a friendly competition and should be played in a friendly way. The more players can get involved - the better.

This is certainly the case, which is why teams can be made up of up to 8 players while only 4 will play each round:)

ER
27-04-2010, 01:37 PM
No denigration intended, just a difference of opinion. Peace:)

I'm meeting Leonid tomorrow morning, PM me if you'd like me to pass on your feelings about this.

Ops Carl sorry, I missed this due to developments in the AN INTERVIEW thread. I am sure Leonid knows about it anyway! thanks all the same! :)

I think its a friendly competition and should be played in a friendly way.

Aren't you nice and sweet? Go tell all that about peace and love to my supervisor when he expects current affair segments done on a strict deadline conditions, like "Dear Sup sorry I can't go on air tonight because I have a nice friendly competition at Box Hill Chess Club :wall: ... Get real!!!! :D

Garvinator
27-04-2010, 01:47 PM
I think its a friendly competition and should be played in a friendly way.What happens if two teams can not agree on when to play? I think the part I have quoted is one of the biggest myths in the whole chess environment, or at least I hear it often enough to keep trying to debunk it.

As soon as anyone enters a competition environment, the whole atmosphere becomes more serious as the competition nears the end. While the competition can start out 'friendly', the atmosphere will naturally change near the end.

When you say friendly, I think you mean very little organisation and very little likelihood of deadlines being enforced.

Running the competition as it is has one potential flaw, it is very difficult for people to plan for when the rounds are. This could lead to more trouble than just assigning round days and expecting the clubs to meet those days and times. If there are as many people available ie 8 players available for each team, then getting four players together on the assigned day should not be difficult at all.

Desmond
27-04-2010, 01:58 PM
What happens if two teams can not agree on when to play? I think the part I have quoted is one of the biggest myths in the whole chess environment, or at least I hear it often enough to keep trying to debunk it.

As soon as anyone enters a competition environment, the whole atmosphere becomes more serious as the competition nears the end. While the competition can start out 'friendly', the atmosphere will naturally change near the end.

When you say friendly, I think you mean very little organisation and very little likelihood of deadlines being enforced.

Running the competition as it is has one potential flaw, it is very difficult for people to plan for when the rounds are. This could lead to more trouble than just assigning round days and expecting the clubs to meet those days and times. If there are as many people available ie 8 players available for each team, then getting four players together on the assigned day should not be difficult at all.
I could be wrong but I read Michael's comments to be about team composition, not about flexible round times. Actually flexible team composition should reduce the need for flexible round times.

MichaelBaron
27-04-2010, 05:40 PM
I could be wrong but I read Michael's comments to be about team composition, not about flexible round times. Actually flexible team composition should reduce the need for flexible round times.

No, You are right :). It is about team composition and allowing teams to add players throughout competition..just like it is done with chess leagues in other countries and other sporting team events across the globe.

ER
28-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Hi Boris and Michael of course it is about times and compositions and venues etc

the following is #40 of this thread

Any related information?

BTW CONGRATULATIONS CV

and special thanks to the CV President Leonid Sandler and the tireless chess personality Carl Gorka

for providing all this very important information.

:clap: :clap: :clap: from a very happy JaK

that Caesar guy
28-04-2010, 04:45 PM
All I can say is...carn the Melbourne Knights (my team) :P. And a little bit of MCC Hammer too, just for you Frank ;)

Lekko
28-04-2010, 11:09 PM
All I can say is...carn the Melbourne Knights (my team) :P. And a little bit of MCC Hammer too, just for you Frank ;)
What kind of tournament would it be without the "Melbourne Knights" and "MCC Hammer"?

Carl Gorka
01-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Division 1 match between MCC 1 v MCC 2 scheduled for Thursday 13th May:)

Publicist
02-05-2010, 10:11 PM
A slightly more up to date version of the rules is now avalable on this link http://www.chessvictoria.netfirms.com/competition_details.htm

that Caesar guy
10-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Division 1 match between MCC 1 v MCC 2 scheduled for Thursday 13th May:)
What time does it start? Could be helpful ;)

Bereaved
11-05-2010, 12:32 AM
What time does it start? Could be helpful ;)

Hi James,

It will be 7 pm, line up at the moment for us is 1.Morris 2.Sutton 3. Pyke 4.Skiotis; Jesse is unable to play this round but should be available for the next round,

Will talk to you about it beforehand

Take care and God Bless, Malcolm

Carl Gorka
11-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Hi James,

It will be 7 pm, line up at the moment for us is 1.Morris 2.Sutton 3. Pyke 4.Skiotis; Jesse is unable to play this round but should be available for the next round,

Will talk to you about it beforehand

Take care and God Bless, Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm, the MCC 2 will be Gorka, Ly, Urban, Kildisas, though I'm not sure what order yet:P

Lekko
11-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Thanks Malcolm, the MCC 2 will be Gorka, Ly, Urban, Kildisas, though I'm not sure what order yet:P
Doesn't it have to be in rating order?

mikesguns
11-05-2010, 08:24 PM
They are allowed to change if the rating is or less than 100 points different

Carl Gorka
11-05-2010, 09:30 PM

I think that teams must be played in rating order, though if there is a rating difference of less than 100 points between 2 players, then they can choose which position they play.

However, I also believe that once a board order has been made, it cannot be changed. I'll double check this with CV.

ER
12-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Hi Carl, you might be able to help me with this.
Was there once a rule regarding offering and acceptance or rejection or draws via the team's captains instead of the individual players in team events?
If this is covered in the present rules apologies, I didn't have the time to check it out!

Carl Gorka
13-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Hi Carl, you might be able to help me with this.
Was there once a rule regarding offering and acceptance or rejection or draws via the team's captains instead of the individual players in team events?
If this is covered in the present rules apologies, I didn't have the time to check it out!

Different leagues have different rules regarding this and I'm not sure on the exact policy of this league.

I would think that draw offers are ok across the board, but would also imagine that a player may seek a captain's advice as to whether he may accept the draw offer from a team perspective. I have played in these type of leagues before, but again, I'm not sure about the policy for this league.

ER
13-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Different leagues have different rules regarding this and I'm not sure on the exact policy of this league.

I would think that draw offers are ok across the board, but would also imagine that a player may seek a captain's advice as to whether he may accept the draw offer from a team perspective. I have played in these type of leagues before, but again, I'm not sure about the policy for this league.

thanks! :)

that Caesar guy
13-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Hey everyone,

I was considering writing a report on the event, round by round, and commentating on the games. Thing is, I would need the games from all the clubs involved. If it is OK with you that I write a report, then could the team captains send their games to my email address? Thanks.
Email is the-real-deal-94@hotmail.com (yes, i get a 1 out of 10 for originality :P)

JM

Carl Gorka
14-05-2010, 12:07 AM
Hey everyone,

I was considering writing a report on the event, round by round, and commentating on the games. Thing is, I would need the games from all the clubs involved. If it is OK with you that I write a report, then could the team captains send their games to my email address? Thanks.
Email is the-real-deal-94@hotmail.com (yes, i get a 1 out of 10 for originality :P)

JM

I'm sure if you were willing to write stuff, then people would be happy for you to do it. It can be quite a big job though so I'm sure everyone would understand and appreciate you doing only as much as you can. :)

Carl

Carl Gorka
14-05-2010, 12:21 AM
The first match of the 2010 Victorian Terams championship was held at the MCC tonight between the first and second teams, in Division 1. A huge upset occurred with the second's beating the first's by 2.5-1.5, but perhaps it shows that the division will be competitive and there will be no easy matches.

MCC 1 were below par tonight but I'm sure they will still be contenders for the flag. James seemed to missing a lot of things in our game, came out of the opening badly and never really recovered. Malcolm was feeling ill on board 2, and gave Thai Ly too much material. Sylvester Urban played very solidly with the white pieces on board 3 to take a half point. And on board 4, I thought Pano Skiotis was going to play the same sacrificial attack as he had done on Monday against Richard Voon, but he pulled out and seemed to let Victor Kildisas off the hook but Pano came through in the end.

The match was played in good spirits with no disputes, but the time control of 75+10 seems to pass by very quickly.

Good luck to everyone else with their matches, it is great to play team chess again!!

Carl

Metro
14-05-2010, 12:25 AM
I'm sure if you were willing to write stuff, then people would be happy for you to do it. It can be quite a big job though so I'm sure everyone would understand and appreciate you doing only as much as you can. :)

Carl
Sounds good to me:clap: and I would look forward to reading it. BTW is it going to be your homework,James?;)

Adamski
14-05-2010, 12:25 AM
Congratulations to Carl and his team. Beating IM James is a great result for you, Carl. Well done! Eating fire!!

BTW Carl is also a very good blog writer.

Carl Gorka
14-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Congratulations to Carl and his team. Beating IM James is a great result for you, Carl. Well done! Eating fire!!

BTW Carl is also a very good blog writer.

Thanks, I'll be writing about it on my blog tomorrow night or at the weekend.

It was a very good result for the team....Top of the Table!!!!

Watto
14-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Hey everyone,

JM That would be great, particularly because the games are not being played at the same time at the same venue so it might be harder for interested observers to get a sense of what’s going on.
As Carl said, reports like that can be a lot of work but whatever you manage to do, would be much appreciated.
p.s. bad luck about last night’s result – best of luck for match 2!

Watto
14-05-2010, 12:07 PM
This round 1, division 2 match is a real battle of the underrated juniors…

6 Canterbury Junior CC 2 : Melbourne CC 4
Sunday May 16,starting time 6-30 pm, venue Box Hill Chess Club

Canterbury Junior CC 2
1. Zachary Loh
2. Adam Hayman
3. Joshua Ng
4. Joshua Devarajh
5. Karl Zelesco
6. Savithri Narenthran
7. Max Chew Lee
8. Janaki Narenthran

Melbourne 4
1. F. Lekkas
2. M Addamo
3. D Tuncer
4. M. Tanner

Details of other match ups are on the CV site. See http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com/2010_vic_teams_comp.htm

ER
14-05-2010, 12:14 PM
This round 1, division 2 match is a real battle of the underrated juniors…

6 Canterbury Junior CC 2 : Melbourne CC 4
Sunday May 16,starting time 6-30 pm, venue Box Hill Chess Club

Canterbury Junior CC 2
1. Zachary Loh
2. Adam Hayman
3. Joshua Ng
4. Joshua Devarajh
5. Karl Zelesco
6. Savithri Narenthran
7. Max Chew Lee
8. Janaki Narenthran

Melbourne 4
1. F. Lekkas
2. M Addamo
3. D Tuncer
4. M. Tanner

Details of other match ups are on the CV site. See http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com/2010_vic_teams_comp.htm

Hey I know Frank, Michael, Deniz and the other Michael are strong but 8 against 4??? :hmm: :lol: kk was only a joke!!! :P

MichaelBaron
14-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Hey I know Frank, Michael, Deniz and the other Michael are strong but 8 against 4??? :hmm: :lol: kk was only a joke!!! :P
Lekkas is and knows martial arts..he can probably karate all the little kiddies all by himself :)

ER
17-05-2010, 12:57 AM
How come results of matches aren't placed here?
Have the games been postponed?
I was informed by my team manager on Friday night that the match MCC vs BHCC on Tuesday is on.
Can I have a confirmation by the organisers please?

Lekko
17-05-2010, 01:30 AM
How come results of matches aren't placed here?
Have the games been postponed?
I was informed by my team manager on Friday night that the match MCC vs BHCC on Tuesday is on.
Can I have a confirmation by the organisers please?
We had MCC Hammer vs CJCC tonight. The board 4 game has been postponed however. It's all locked up at 1.5-1.5. The games should still be on the box hill website.

http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/live/tfd_full.htm

ER
17-05-2010, 01:47 AM
We had MCC Hammer vs CJCC tonight. The board 4 game has been postponed however. It's all locked up at 1.5-1.5. The games should still be on the box hill website.

Thanks for that, apparently BHCC neglected to let the rest of us know about the match and so did the organising committee. I hope clubs and organisers will improve in the information field as more matches take place!

Lekko
17-05-2010, 02:01 AM
Thanks for that, apparently BHCC neglected to let the rest of us know about the match and so did the organising committee. I hope clubs and organisers will improve in the information field as more matches take place!
Actually, if you check the other forum, you'll see they didn't neglect it at all :P

And there seem to be a list of round 1 games there ^

ER
17-05-2010, 02:12 AM
Then apart from neglect can we also talk about discrimination? :P

and as for this

since it contains no results, it's not much of a help is it?

Lekko
17-05-2010, 02:22 AM
Then apart from neglect can we also talk about discrimination? :P

and as for this

since it contains no results, it's not much of a help is it?
Well the person who posted the results over there doesn't seems to be able to use this forum. Anyway, since the board 4 game hasn't been played yet, we can only pray for a MCC victory, and leave the rest to young Tanner.

ER
17-05-2010, 02:32 AM
Well the person who posted the results over there doesn't seems to be able to use this forum.
Who that person might be? Is that person one of the banned chatters?

Anyway, since the board 4 game hasn't been played yet, we can only pray for a MCC victory, and leave the rest to young Tanner.
Let the best person win!

Desmond
17-05-2010, 07:35 AM
MCC Hammer, good one :lol:

Kevin Bonham
17-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Who that person might be? Is that person one of the banned chatters?

Apparently not. The results HBK referred to were posted there by MOZ, who contrary to HBK's (possibly slightly less than literal) suggestion is at liberty to post here at the moment and has been since 15 Dec 2009. His only current ban on this site is from the Coffee Lounge section.

Carl Gorka
17-05-2010, 12:53 PM

I'm pretty sure the MCC team you're playing are ok for Tuesday, though I'll make sure with the captain Alex Kaplan later tonight.:)

Carl Gorka
17-05-2010, 12:55 PM

Hmmm, nothing in the rules about individual game postponements:hmm:

CV need to sort this one out as if postponements are allowed, then virtually any game could be playede at virtually any time, which is not the spirit of the event.

Lekko
17-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Hmmm, nothing in the rules about individual game postponements:hmm:

CV need to sort this one out as if postponements are allowed, then virtually any game could be playede at virtually any time, which is not the spirit of the event.
It was a last minute drop out, and it was nice of the CJCC team to allow the last minute board 4 postponement. Besides, its seems to build a climax to the board 4 game, which doesn't seem to happen all that often anyway :P

ER
17-05-2010, 02:47 PM
MCC Hammer, good one :lol:
I agree, top name! :clap:

Apparently not. The results HBK referred to were posted there by MOZ, who contrary to HBK's (possibly slightly less than literal) suggestion is at liberty to post here at the moment and has been since 15 Dec 2009. His only current ban on this site is from the Coffee Lounge section.
Well, this is the case and Trevor should be the first to know that advertisiting a tournament, updating results etc is much better to apply to the whole chess community and not to one outlet only.
After your and Frank's suggestion I looked at the other forum and indeed there was coverage with live games results and coments there.
Well if this forum was used extensively to advertise the tournament from the beginning why not keeping up with the tactful policy of providing similar information here as well?

Hmmm, nothing in the rules about individual game postponements :hmm:
I agree to that, particularly after a rather recent postponement fiasco which caused me time and money and in the end no club was opened and no opponent who asked for the postponement appeared, I am not interested about that sort of deal anymore. I ask no favours, I give no favours! Simple as that!

I'm pretty sure the MCC team you're playing are ok for Tuesday, though I'll make sure with the captain Alex Kaplan later tonight.:D
I am sure since my old comrade in arms Alex is involved everything will be fine!:D

Lekko
17-05-2010, 02:49 PM
I said that it seemed that way. I wasn't sure if it was that way.

Leonid Sandler
17-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Box Hill Chess Club will be the venue for Noble Park-Elwood match tomorrow night(Tuesday May 18)

Board pairings are as follows.

I.Goldenberg-E.Levi
D.Dragicevic-L.Sandler
D.Hacche-M.Dizdarevic
A.Rashid-D.Lindberg

The starting time 7-45 pm.

Spectators are welcome.

Kevin Bonham
17-05-2010, 06:01 PM
I said that it seemed that way. I wasn't sure if it was that way.

It seems that way partly because he has made misleading statements about the situation.

Carl Gorka
17-05-2010, 07:58 PM
I am sure since my old comrade in arms Alex is involved everything will be fine!:D

Yep, the match is definitely on tomorrow night:)

ER
17-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Yep, the match is definitely on tomorrow night:)
OK mate thanks, I 'll see you there! :)

Leonid Sandler
18-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Noble Park-Elwood 3-1

I.Goldenberg-E.Levi 0-1

D.Dragicevic-L.Sandler draw

D.Hacche-M.Dizdarevic draw

A.Rashid-D.LIndberg 1-0

ER
18-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Kevin Brown 1 - 0 Rad Chmiel
Alex Kaplan 0.5 - 0.5 Geoff Cook
Roger Beattie 1-0 Roger Croft
Adam Lovegrove 0.5 - 0.5 Elliot Renzies

Carl Gorka
18-05-2010, 11:43 PM
This is great. Although each team only has one game per month, the varying dates for matches makes for excitement throughout the month as you're watching for the results of your friends, clubmates, and rivals:)

Things will get even more tense as the season moves on :D

Congrats to all players tonight. :clap:

ER
18-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Carl, as i stated in the shoutbox, Melbourne Chess Club is the place to be!
What a well lit spotless venue, friendly people, lovely atmosphere! :clap: :clap: :clap: Everyone enjoyed it, I look forward for the first half of the year to end, and be able to renew my membership and visit the club often!

MichaelBaron
18-05-2010, 11:54 PM
Noble Park-Elwood 3-1

I.Goldenberg-E.Levi 0-1

D.Dragicevic-L.Sandler draw

D.Hacche-M.Dizdarevic draw

A.Rashid-D.LIndberg 1-0

Wow, what an upset!
Well done, Noble Park!

ER
18-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Wow, what an upset!
Well done, Noble Park!

Indeed, full praise for Noble Park! Michael you 're not playing for Elwood?

Bereaved
18-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Wow, what an upset!
Well done, Noble Park!

The top three games are viewable on the Box Hill site via the dgt replyer, the conclusion of Goldenberg - Levi might have been time based I suspect, though Eddy definitely has a reasonable position, perhaps even mating down the h-file

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

ER
19-05-2010, 12:05 AM
Thanks Malcolm, Box Hill's link for live games is in my signature below!!!

Lekko
19-05-2010, 12:16 AM
The top three games are viewable on the Box Hill site via the dgt replyer, the conclusion of Goldenberg - Levi might have been time based I suspect, though Eddy definitely has a reasonable position, perhaps even mating down the h-file

Which would force white to play Rd8 and then Kxh2.
And yes, apparently it was time.

ER
19-05-2010, 12:52 AM
Still Black is winning after this! I doubt it if White who missed his chances during the game can draw this position!

Watto
19-05-2010, 09:23 AM
This is great. Although each team only has one game per month, the varying dates for matches makes for excitement throughout the month as you're watching for the results of your friends, clubmates, and rivals:)

Things will get even more tense as the season moves on :D

Congrats to all players tonight. :clap:
And thanks to you, Carl, for pushing on with your vision of a good team comp and getting it going. :)
We went along and spectated last night at Box Hill CC; good to be there.

ER
19-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Still Black is winning after this! I doubt it if White who missed his chances during the game can draw this position!

Then again, :hmm: I am not really sure!

Igor_Goldenberg
19-05-2010, 05:43 PM

In final position black has a definitive advantage (not sure whether it's decisive. No checkmating on h file, though.
I lost on time (wasn't mentally ready for 10 s increment).
Eddy played very well in the second part of the game, turning the table 180 degrees.

ER
20-05-2010, 09:13 AM
A fine example of what a competition such as this can offer to the improvement of relationships amongst Chess Clubs is the recent e-mail exchange between the Manager of Box Hill Chess Club 2 and the Captain of Melbourne Chess Club 3 after the completion of their match last Tuesday night.
As a member of the BHCC team I 've received copies of those e-mails the content of which shows the good will and the wish for further co-operation that exists between our chess organisations.:clap:
I am sure Carl Gorka would be happy for this development since he is an indispensable part as well as the moving force behind this competition.:clap:

klyall
22-05-2010, 01:20 PM
BHCC vs Canterbury Junior - A grade

BHCC is playing Canterbury Junior at 3.00 pm at BHCC.

BHCC team

. Chris W
. Doug H
. Marcus R
. Tom N

Good luck to BHCC :)

Kerry Lyall
Manager BHCC A Grade team

Publicist
22-05-2010, 03:42 PM
All captains and managers should note the the clarification of the no postponements rule and the scoring method for the team results in the competition details page on the web site via this link: http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com/competition_details.htm

SHump
22-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Can I ask 2 things:
a) is the 100 point rule for team positions an official thing (as discussed in earlier pages of this thread)? If so, should the CV site be updated with this?
2) are these games rated - I have looked thru the CV site and this thread without any answer I think. Again, if this is the case, the CV site should be updated (even though a lot of people look at CC, a lot also do not). I have not looked thru the Carl Gorka blog, for answers, but again, the CV site is THE place I would have thought.

Carl Gorka
22-05-2010, 08:05 PM
A fine example of what a competition such as this can offer to the improvement of relationships amongst Chess Clubs is the recent e-mail exchange between the Manager of Box Hill Chess Club 2 and the Captain of Melbourne Chess Club 3 after the completion of their match last Tuesday night.
As a member of the BHCC team I 've received copies of those e-mails the content of which shows the good will and the wish for further co-operation that exists between our chess organisations.:clap:
I am sure Carl Gorka would be happy for this development since he is an indispensable part as well as the moving force behind this competition.:clap:

I am very happy to see team chess flourishing. I saw an email from Peter Tsai to Alex Kaplan, and this was a great touch. The competition seems to be moving in the right spirit, competitive at the board, but friendly throughout.

Today, I took some kids to Geelong, and we were excellently hosted by Michael Sugrue and the Geelong players. For anyone who is wary of the longish trip, don't hesitate to go as the welcome is fantastic.

I had to leave a little early to get some kids back to Melbourne, but the match was in the balance, 2-1 in favour of Geelong with Meerbach-Fletcher on board 1 still going, but looking very much drawish to me.:)

Carl Gorka
22-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Can I ask 2 things:
a) is the 100 point rule for team positions an official thing (as discussed in earlier pages of this thread)? If so, should the CV site be updated with this?
2) are these games rated - I have looked thru the CV site and this thread without any answer I think. Again, if this is the case, the CV site should be updated (even though a lot of people look at CC, a lot also do not). I have not looked thru the Carl Gorka blog, for answers, but again, the CV site is THE place I would have thought.

a) Yes it is official, I talked to Leonid Sandler about this issue and there should be some notification on the CV website soon. Also, team order will be set once teams have been played, so although a player may play above someone rated a little higher, once they have done it, they will have to stay in that order throughout the season.

2) games will be rated on the ACF system i believe. Again, you are right, this could do with some official promotion.

By the way, it would be good if as many players, captains, observers etc, could give as much feedback as possible to what they like or dislike about the system, and then these things can be continued or revised. For instance, I already have some suspicion about the swiss system being used for a teams league. I was one of the proposers of the swiss division this year, but I think I'd like to see round robin divisions next year so that teams can set their fixtures plenty of time in advance. Now that there are so many teams, this may be a possibility.

frankablanca
22-05-2010, 08:50 PM
The games between Box Hill A team and Canterbury Junior A team ended with a 2:2 draw today.

Bobby Cheng 1 - 0 Chris Wallis
Laurence Matheson 1 - 0 Doug Hamilton
Jason Tang 0 - 1 Marcus Raine
Isaac Ng 0 - 1 Tom Narenthran

ER
22-05-2010, 09:31 PM
thanks Franka
Games are here

Lekko
23-05-2010, 06:39 PM
MCC Hammer (2.5) - (1.5) Canterbury Raiderz
Frank Lekkas 1-0 Zachary Loh
Michael Addamo .5-.5 Adam Hayman
Deniz Tuncer 0-1 Karl Zelesco
Michael Tanner 1-0 Max Chew-Lee

Board:
1: Lekkas (1528) 1-0 Loh (1425)
2: Hayman (1408) .5-.5 Addamo (1378)
3: Tuncer (1440) 0-1 Zelesco (1001)
4: Chew-Lee (790) 0-1 Tanner (1160)

mikesguns
23-05-2010, 09:06 PM
MCC Hammer (2.5) - (1.5) Canterbury Raiderz
Frank Lekkas 1-0 Zachary Loh
Michael Addamo .5-.5 Adam Hayman
Deniz Tuncer 0-1 Karl Zelesco
Michael Tanner 1-0 Max Chew-Lee

Board:
1: Lekkas 1-0 Loh
2: Hayman .5-.5 Addamo
3: Tuncer 0-1 Zelesco
4: Chew-Lee 0-1 Tanner

just told leonid sandler should be up on the website soon

Carl Gorka
23-05-2010, 09:32 PM
The games between Box Hill A team and Canterbury Junior A team ended with a 2:2 draw today.

Bobby Cheng 1 - 0 Chris Wallis
Laurence Matheson 1 - 0 Doug Hamilton
Jason Tang 0 - 1 Marcus Raine
Isaac Ng 0 - 1 Tom Narenthran

Division 1, round 1 = round of surprises!!

Well done to the juniors on holding BHCC to a draw:clap:

Watto
24-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Just to clarify, given that this competition is being run over 3 different ACF rating periods (the championship starts in May with the March ratings and then there are new ratings out in June and then again in Sept), am I right in assuming that we have have to set the order from the March 1 rating list when the competition started? Or not… ? What about players who didn't play in the beginning but do later on?

Teams with rapidly improving players will be affected by this more than others of course.

Division 2, round 1: Croydon Cannons 2.5 Noble Park 1.5 (full details to follow when I have them to hand; they’ve been sent to CV)

flushfyre
24-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Another query about the dates: Will the last round be run at the same time for all matches? Because I can see a potential problem if teams play at different times, namely that the later teams get an advantage and may play differently depending on the earlier results.

Carl Gorka
24-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Another query about the dates: Will the last round be run at the same time for all matches? Because I can see a potential problem if teams play at different times, namely that the later teams get an advantage and may play differently depending on the earlier results.

Good point, and already foreseen by CV. The last round is to be played at Box Hill CC at a date as yet unknown, with all teams playing together.

Leonid Sandler
29-05-2010, 06:04 PM
HBCC-Dandenong CC had been played this afternoon at Hobsons Bay Chess Club .

Gary Lycett board one player for Dandenong Chess Club Team won his game and the match ended with 2,5-1,5 to the visitors.

ER
29-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the info Leonid! :)
Actually i 'd love to see the formidable Dandenong team comprising of the four Potters in a match! :)

Chris Potter
Michael Potter
Daniel Potter
Matthew Potter :clap: :clap: :clap:

Carl Gorka
30-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Round 1 complete now, all matches played and I think only 2 board defaults in the whole comp which is pretty good for a new event.

I've already blogged a bit about the second division (http://mccchess.wordpress.com/2010/05/30/2010-victorian-teams-championship-division-2/) and have a page (http://mccchess.wordpress.com/2010-victorian-teams-championship/) about my own division, but stick to the official website (http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com/2010_vic_teams_comp.htm) for absolutely correct results and standings.

Publicist
30-05-2010, 10:32 PM
The results for round 1 and the draw for round 2 are now available on CV web site. Please follow this link:
http://www.chessvictoria.netfirms.com/2010_vic_teams_comp.htm

mikesguns
02-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Have the prizes been worked out yet?

ER
02-06-2010, 05:28 PM
The results for round 1 and the draw for round 2 are now available on CV web site. Please follow this link:
http://www.chessvictoria.netfirms.com/2010_vic_teams_comp.htm

Excellent in content and presentation! The absolutely remarcable page gets better and better, thanks Captain! :clap: BTW Captain, publicist is you ok? I am slightly confused with all those names!

Have the prizes been worked out yet?

Michael, in the good old days of interclub, we fought for the trophy and the individual medals! I don't know if things have changed these days!

Coming back to the absolutely remarcable page how come my opponent in the frist round Adam Lovegrove is presented as unrated?

ACF's latest list

1391! 9 1025 258 Lovegrove, Adam

also

In March 2010 ratings according to the MCC's list he had a rating of 1455

So feel free to correct it, thanks!

ER
03-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Excellent in content and presentation! The absolutely remarcable page gets better and better, thanks Captain! :clap: BTW Captain, publicist is you ok? I am slightly confused with all those names!

Michael, in the good old days of interclub, we fought for the trophy and the individual medals! I don't know if things have changed these days!

Coming back to the absolutely remarcable page how come my opponent in the frist round Adam Lovegrove is presented as unrated?

ACF's latest list

also

In March 2010 ratings according to the MCC's list he had a rating of 1455

So feel free to correct it, thanks!

I checked the absolutely remarcable page
http://www.chessvictoria.netfirms.com/team_results.htm
yet again just now, and I observe that my first round opponent Adam Lovegrove is still referred to as unrated. Could the absolutely remarcable page's editor please correct this, to avoid further misunderstandings? This is a serious competition and providing misleading information about strength of players can cause problems in the games ahead.

Carl Gorka
19-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Today BHCC came to the MCC for the round 2 game. The match started at 3pm with 2 of the home team not present. Thai Ly turned up after a few minutes, but David Beaumont didn't show and we defaulted on board 4. However, Thai was in terrific form and smashed Igor Dyment, Sylvester Urban sacrificed an exchange against Eugene Schon and didn't get enough for it, but then missed a chance to blockade the position with good drawing chances. In the end, Eugene broke through and won. On top board, Chris Wallis gained a pleasant edge out of the opening, but I kept trying to equalise. By the end, when we were both short of time, the game had simplified to an even endgame, but Chris unfortunately overstepped the time limit, and so I claimed the victory.

MCC 2 - BHCC 1

C. Gorka (Black) - C. Wallis 1-0
Thai Ly (White) - I. Dyment 1-0
S. Urban (Black) - E. Schon 0-1
D. Beaumont (White) - M. Raine 0-1 F

So in the end, the match was a 2-2 draw and it was great to have members of the Box Hill Chess Club at the MCC. A big thanks to Kerry Lyall for her management skills, and making this match happen:)

Carl Gorka
20-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Chess Kids versus Canterbury Junior 2nd team has started at Chess Kids home venue of 758 North Road.

The Chess Kids board 1, Frank Meerbach, is trying his hardest to equal the age of all the other competitors put together:lol:

Teams:

Chess Kids-CJCC
F. Meerbach-Z. Loh
A. Hain-A. Hayman
S. Parsons-B. Ng
C. Dilnutt-M. Lee Chew

frankablanca
20-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Today Canterbury Juniors A beat Noble Park 2.5-1.5

Bobby Cheng- 1/2 1/2 Eddy Levi
Laurence Matheson- 0-1 Domagoj Dragicevic
Jason Tang- 1-0 Mehmedalija Dizdarevic
Justin Tan- 1-0 Rashid Abdulwahab

Carl Gorka
20-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Chess Kids beat Canterbury Juniors 2.5-1.5 in a close fought match.

Chesskids-Canterbury
Meerbach-Loh 1/2-1/2
Hain-Hayman 0-1
Parsons-Ng 1-0
Dilnutt-Lee 1-0

Carl Gorka
20-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Top of the league!!!

Who'd have predicted at the start of the comp that Canterbruy Juniors and MCC 2 would be heading the field?

NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK
21-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Top of the league!!!

Who'd have predicted at the start of the comp that Canterbruy Juniors and MCC 2 would be heading the field?

Yes, well done to MCC2 for maintaining its lead for a 2nd round. Of course, the fact that 2 sides have had their match bye, we'll ignore.

Shame that David forfeited - he would be favoured to have held at least a draw against Marcus. Did he give any reason for the no-show?

Also, it is noted from the official website that MCC1 lost to City of Yarra 1-3 (I assume this was MCC1's home fixture). When was the match played?

Carl Gorka
21-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Yes, well done to MCC2 for maintaining its lead for a 2nd round. Of course, the fact that 2 sides have had their match bye, we'll ignore.

Shame that David forfeited - he would be favoured to have held at least a draw against Marcus. Did he give any reason for the no-show?

Also, it is noted from the official website that MCC1 lost to City of Yarra 1-3 (I assume this was MCC1's home fixture). When was the match played?

David forgot.

The match was played on the first Sunday in June at the MCC.

klyall
21-06-2010, 09:23 PM
MCC VS BHCC

Thanks to Carl and the other MCC players who made BHCC feel very welcome. It was a pity that David forfeited. It would have been an interesting game between him and Marcus.

Kerry Lyall

Watto
22-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Croydon hosted the match on Sunday the 20th. It ended in a 2 all draw.

(As I was unable to be there, I only know Croydon's players for sure - Jamie Cross on Board 1 won, Jamie Kenmure on board 2 lost, Richard Goldsmith on board 3 lost and Herman Naude on board 4 won. Once full details are known, I'll post them. :))

mikesguns
22-06-2010, 05:31 PM
I would like to congratulate Leonid, Carl and the BHCC Committee for organizing such a successful event so far this year, when the Interclub was unsuccessful last year. The two divisions have been very close with no teams that I can recall winning more than 3 to 1 so far . :clap:

that Caesar guy
22-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Yes this is correct: I played a marathon with Rujevic, winning with a cheapo in the ending - only to find that boards 2 and 4 proceeded to lose their winning positions! :doh:

ER
22-06-2010, 06:33 PM
I would like to congratulate Leonid for organizing such a successful event so far this year, when the Interclub was unsuccessful last year. The two divisions have been very close with no teams that I can recall winning more than 3 to 1 so far . :clap:

Michael, I agree that Leonid and his committee have worked hard for this event. However, one has to include in the hard workers' list MCC's and Chesskids' tireless Carl Gorka! :clap:
The list should also expand to include members of BHCC committee who do their best to promote and assist the event in any way they can, as well as Captains and players of all teams for their contribution!:clap:

mikesguns
26-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Results from today

MCC Hammer 2- 2 Ballarat Chess Club
1. Frank Lekkas 1 - 0 Bas van Riel
2. Michael Addamo 1 - 0 Rob Loveband
3. Michael Tanner 0 - 1 Patrick Cook
4. Adoph Lekkas 0 -1 Joel Beggs

MichaelBaron
26-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Mcc kids are still growing up. Give them another year or two - and they will be unstoppable!

Lekko
26-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Mcc kids are still growing up. Give them another year or two - and they will be unstoppable!
Glad me and Addamo came through in the end. The pressure was unbelievable after Tanner and Adolph resigned so early.

Watto
27-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Croydon hosted the match on Sunday the 20th. It ended in a 2 all draw.

Here's the full result

team 1 result team 2
Croydon Cannons 2-2 MCC 5
Jamie Cross 1448 1-0 Tony Tosevski 1565
Jamie Kenmure 1325 0-1 Brad Ashlock 1480
Richard Goldsmith 1251 0-1 Simon Karumbi 1267
Herman Naude unr 1-0 Elizabeth Warren 846
Note these are current ratings as I've just been advised that we are to submit results using players' current ratings, not their ratings at the beginning of the event (Thanks fireeater for that info.)

SHump
29-06-2010, 02:49 PM
A pleasant afternoon was held last Sunday at Upwey. All games were played with a friendly atmosphere prevailing. Unfortunately for Ranges, we were overpowered on 3 boards. But a good time was had by one and all.

Thank you to the Upwey girl guides for allowing us to use their hall at short notice. Their hall is next to ours, but ours was surprisingly booked for another function.

Noble Park 3-1 Ranges
1. Serif Tuglaci 1-0 Stephen Davies
2. Elvis Espejo 0-1 Scott Humphreys
3. Joseph Sy 1-0 Franz Oswald
4. Jerzy Krysiak 1-0 Tom Brennfleck

Publicist
30-06-2010, 05:01 PM
The division 2 draw is now available on CV web site Please follow this link: http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com/2010_vic_teams_comp.htm

klyall
10-07-2010, 01:01 PM
BHCC vs City of Yarra

This afternoon BHCC is hosting a game against City of Yarra. The first three boards will be live - starting at 3.00 pm.

mikesguns
10-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Results from todays Team Championship matches

MCC Hammer 2 2 Geelong CC
1. Frank Lekkas 1-0 Steven Fletcher
2. Michael Addamo 0.5-0.5 Terry Feduniw
3. Drawn by agreement
4. Adolf Lekkas 0-1 Ben Kersten

ER
10-07-2010, 07:17 PM
BHCC vs City of Yarra

This afternoon BHCC is hosting a game against City of Yarra. The first three boards will be live - starting at 3.00 pm.

Thanks Klyall and what a match it was. Some of the State's very strong players clashed at Box Hill with the home team prevailing in the first three boards.

Here is the game IM Mirko Rujevic vs Chris Wallis. Did I say game? It was a brawl! (from BHCC's website)

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 exd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nxc6 bxc6 6. e5
Qe7 7. Qe2 Nd5 8. c4 Nb6 9. b3 Qe6 10. Qe3 a5 11. a4
d5 12. Nd2 Bb4 13. Qg3 dxc4 14. Qxg7 Rf8 15. bxc4
Bc3 16. Ra3 Bxe5 17. Qxh7 Bf4 18. Kd1 Ba6 19. Bd3 O-O-O 20. Bf5 {White wins here, but someone forgot to tell the youngster who's BHCC's champion and won't give up that easy} Nxc4 21. Bxe6 fxe6 22. Ra2 Bxd2 23. Bxd2 Rxf2 24. Qh6 Rxg2 25. Qxe6+ Kb7 26. Qh6 Rd3 27. Rc2 Rb3 28. Kc1 Ne5 29. Ra2 Nd3+ 30. Kc2 Bc4 31. Rha1 Nb4 32. Kd1 Nxa2 33. Rxa2 Rb1 34. Kc2 Bxa2 35. Qh3 Rbg1
36. Kc3 Bd5 37. Bf4 Rf1 38. Bg3 c5 39. Bxc7 Rf3 40. Qxf3 Bxf3 41. Bxa5 Ra2

0-1

Was it the swindle of the year? Was some time trouble involved due to "...sorry, footy game, lots of traffic" involved? History will take none of that as an excuse, and the result would be Rujevic 0-1 Wallis!

Kevin Bonham
10-07-2010, 08:36 PM
That's an amazing swindle (and against an opponent who is pretty crafty too). However, it's not like the position was a no-brainer for Rujevic, it is not like Wallis was just queen for bishop down for nothing, he had a lot of pressure for it. Not enough pressure objectively of course, but Fritz rates Rujevic's position after taking the queen only about +3 instead of the +6 you might expect.

And yes, a lot of the moves look like mutual time trouble.

MichaelBaron
10-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Very tricky game...white had a win..but it was tricky all the way!

Desmond
11-07-2010, 08:02 AM
Just playing through the game quicky, it never seemed that white was better. The queen had no chance to show her strength in combing with the other pieces.

Carl Gorka
11-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Results from todays Team Championship matches

MCC Hammer 2 2 Geelong CC
1. Frank Lekkas 1-0 Steven Fletcher
2. Michael Addamo 0.5-0.5 Terry Feduniw
3. Drawn by agreement
4. Adolf Lekkas 0-1 Ben Kersten

This match shows that it will take a special effort by any team to win the second division. Fantastic fighting chess throughout, but who am I judge, as I was only a team driver:)

Carl Gorka
11-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Thanks Klyall and what a match it was. Some of the State's very strong players clashed at Box Hill with the home team prevailing in the first three boards.

Wow, that opens the first division as well. Yarra were one of my favourites for the title before the season started, but it looks like it will take a special effort to win this division.:)

Kevin Bonham
12-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Re Rujevic - Wallis, MOZ in the shoutbox in the other place suggests 19...0-0-0 giving up queen for bishop was a deliberate sacrifice.

Lekko
12-07-2010, 11:58 PM
Re Rujevic - Wallis, MOZ in the shoutbox in the other place suggests 19...0-0-0 giving up queen for bishop was a deliberate sacrifice.
Well the only other option seems to be Kd8. Probably seemed a lot better at the time, if it was deliberate.

ER
13-07-2010, 04:08 AM
MOZ in the shoutbox in the other place suggests 19...0-0-0 giving up queen for bishop was a deliberate sacrifice.
Did MOZ mention anything about the clock? as it time pressure etc? ;)

Kevin Bonham
13-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Did MOZ mention anything about the clock? as it time pressure etc? ;)

No mention of that or the reasons for the comment. It's plausible though, because black's position looks bad enough with more prosaic play that bishop and huge positional compensation for queen might seem a pretty good option even if it's "objectively lost" (ie lost if you are a playing a computer). And it's unlikely that a player of Wallis's level would just 0-0-0 into a pin on his queen as a pure blunder, though these things do happen to the best of them.

If it was a deliberate decision it would be very interesting to know whether it was made on the move or before it.

that Caesar guy
13-07-2010, 05:38 PM
And it's unlikely that a player of Wallis's level would just 0-0-0 into a pin on his queen as a pure blunder, though these things do happen to the best of them.
Certainly happens to me a lot...dunno about Chris though, he's usually very solid. It probably was made after a characteristic 40 minute think, and it's certainly the right practical decision.

that Caesar guy
20-08-2010, 01:10 PM
MCC Knights (hehehe) vs Box Hill CC will be played at 3pm at Melbourne Chess Club, this coming Sunday, the 22nd of August.

The MCC line up is:

James Morris
Bill Jordan
Jesse Jager
Pano Skiotis.

Spiny Norman
21-08-2010, 10:47 AM
I have a question about some of the results in 2nd Div. For example, the match between Chess Kids and Croydon CC shows as 1:1 ... but aren't these 4-board matches? What happened to the other 2 points?

Bill Gletsos
21-08-2010, 11:11 AM
I have a question about some of the results in 2nd Div. For example, the match between Chess Kids and Croydon CC shows as 1:1 ... but aren't these 4-board matches? What happened to the other 2 points?They are showing match points not game points, so results are shown as either 3-0 or 1-1.

Spiny Norman
21-08-2010, 11:15 AM
I thought that in the match in question Croydon was advised that the other team could only field 3 players. We turned up with 3, only to find that there were 2 opponents. I would therefore have expected the result to be in Croydon's favour (since the actual games were split 1-1, but with 2 games forfeited). I will leave that for Watto to comment ... I am not certain that it was this match, nor that the info above is 100% correct.

klyall
21-08-2010, 12:20 PM
BHCC is playing MCC at 3.00 pm at the Melbourne Chess Club tomorrow afternoon. (Sunday)

Board one - Chris Wallis
Board two - Eugene Schon
Board three - Marcus Reine
Board four - Tom Narentheram

Good luck Box Hill :)

klyall
22-08-2010, 03:18 PM
It was a very disappointing welcome by MCC this afternoon. :(

No clocks or scoresheets were set up when the BHCC team arrived for a 3.00 pm start. MCC has not provided a DOP.

Games started late (3.10) as boards were set up and clocks set and scoresheets found.

Was this because James and Pano were both running late? (Pano arrived at 3.10 and James at 3.15)

Kerry Lyall
Manager, BHCC team

Mischa
22-08-2010, 03:39 PM

No clocks or scoresheets were set up when the BHCC team arrived for a 3.00 pm start. MCC has not provided a DOP.

Games started late (3.10) as boards were set up and clocks set and scoresheets found.

Was this because James and Pano were both running late? (Pano arrived at 3.10 and James at 3.15)

Kerry Lyall
Manager, BHCC team

Well James was at the mercy of the public transport system Kerry.

that Caesar guy
22-08-2010, 06:18 PM
RESULTS FROM TODAY

MCC Knights 2.5-1.5 Box Hill CC

Player in Bold was Black.
James Morris 0-1 Chris Wallis
Bill Jordan 1-0 Eugene Schon
Jesse Jager 0.5-0.5 Marcus Raine
Pano Skiotis 1-0 Tom Narenthran

The Board One game was a very interesting sidline of the Ruy Lopez, which eventually boiled down to a drawn rook ending after a few complications. Therefore, naturally I lost it :P (although it was on time, so that's some sort of excuse I guess)

Board 2 seemed to be a lot better for Eugene early on after a rather odd sidline from Jordan, but suddenly White's two bishops came to life just when you thought they wouldn't, and Bill managed to pick up a few assorted goodies and win.

Board 3 was an English in which Jesse looked like he was going to win - he was, after all, 4 pawns up at one point (I think). But another rook ending occured eventually, and Marcus managed to take 3 of those pawns back and draw.

Board 4 was a very wierd Queens Pawn opening which soon turned into a massive centre for Pano. Black's king was caught in the centre, and Pano quickly opened up the board. Tom's king was soon massacred accordingly by a very well played attack by White.

Good to finally get off the mark as a team :D

ER
22-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Jesse Jager 0.5-0.5 ...
Didn't Jesse's opponent deserve a mention here?? :hmm: :lol:
[QUOTE=TheRealDeal]Good to finally get off the mark as a team :D
:clap: excellent, good luck next round too! :)

MichaelBaron
22-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Congratulations to the MCC team! Well done and keep up the good work! :clap:

that Caesar guy
22-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Jesse Jager 0.5-0.5 ...
Didn't Jesse's opponent deserve a mention here??
OH dear, forgot lol. I swear I typed it in though.
It was Marcus Raine, by the way :P

Grant Szuveges
24-08-2010, 09:19 PM

Kerry Lyall
Manager, BHCC team

With all due respect, this is a bit rich isnt it? Considering that MCC accomodated BOX HILLS request for the postponement, and the fact that MCCs team captain was/still is overseas, and that someone new had to organise our end of this, I think a bit of tolerance should be shown toward a club who accepted your request for a postponement.

I also know that scoresheets and clocks for 4 chess boards dont take more than a few minutes to set up - its not like anyone was waiting for 3 hours for the match to start. It only started 10 minutes late....

And in addition to all of this, from what I heard, the match was supposed to start at midday, yet Box Hill changed the time with very very short notice to 3pm..... Strange behaviour considering that MCC was doing them a favour accepting their request for a postponement in the first place.....

Im proud of the members of my club that they are the sort of people who will act and play chess in the right spirit and accept postponements to help out other teams from other clubs - although Im very dissappointed that when my club goes out of its way to do this, that someone criticises us for getting things started 10 minutes late....

If it was really such a big issue, perhaps the Box Hill team should have complained to the MCC committee rather than complain on a public forum - which is both pointless and certainly doesnt help relations between the two clubs - relations which are otherwise very good - as far as the MCC are concerned in any case...

Dusan
24-08-2010, 11:32 PM
We (City of Yarra) won last night's match-up against Noble Park 3:1.

M Rujevic 1-0 E Levi
D Stojic 1-0 D Dragicevic
S Stojic 1-0 O Bashar
M Rikalo 0-1 R Voon 0-1

I was the first to finish after Domagoj misplayed the opening and allowed an overwhelming attack. Boards 3 and 4 went to black, so Board 1 was the last to finish.

Levi won a piece for two pawns early in the game, and it looked like he was going to press home the advantage. However Rujevic fought well and in time trouble forced a few inaccuracies that eventually handed us the win.

Carl Gorka
26-08-2010, 12:55 AM
I thought that in the match in question Croydon was advised that the other team could only field 3 players. We turned up with 3, only to find that there were 2 opponents. I would therefore have expected the result to be in Croydon's favour (since the actual games were split 1-1, but with 2 games forfeited). I will leave that for Watto to comment ... I am not certain that it was this match, nor that the info above is 100% correct.

My understanding is that Croydon and chesskids agreed to play only 3 boards, producing a double forfeit on board 4. That meant the game was played over 3 boards with a score of 1.5-1.5 resulting in a drawn match.

ER
26-08-2010, 01:33 AM
In response to ChessGuru's

Seriously? Interclub chess isn't working because the precious BHCC team had to set their own clocks? in the other Forum
MOZ stated:

The original post was made on chesschat and if you want to engage with the author you would need to post there, because she does not post here.
But in Kerry's original post here, there is no mention of the "Interclub chess isn't working" business!!!
As ChessGuru stated clearly in the heading of his post

From the BoxHill Newsletter
his source was not CC!
I am sure MOZ's reaction was due to an oversight and not to a conscious effort for initiating another unnecessary cause for interfora (and not only interfora ;) ) friction.

I believe that Axiom's

Kerry is quite right to use the available media in an effort to improve standard practices . As someone media - sensitive or info-sensitive as jak once put it , context is vital in communicating the message , and i understand your reaction guru , as it can seem like a distorted representation of the overall reality . It is perhaps something, the author and/or publisher could reflect on .

is a very responsible and profound statement. I am sure Ax has seen deep into the position and tries to prevent a further possible worsening of the situation which might lead to negative results.

In MOZ's

My experiences with the Victorian Teams Championship have been more than warm and friendly. I judge the event to be a super success due to the creativity of Carl Gorka's concept, and Leonid Sandler's energy, combined with the many Team Captains from all Clubs who tackled a new task really well.

I agree, as Axiom also did in his posting in the other forum, that this is a 100% correct statement. As it was publicly and privately acknowledged by players' statements and club officials' correspondence, in both cases that I, as a member of the Box Hill Chess Club team, have played in away matches vs MCC's teams have the best impressions.

I found the hospitality of the Melbourne Chess Club's committee and management (thanks Elizabeth :) :clap: ) captains (thanks Alex :) :clap: ) and team members (thanks guys :) :clap: ) most warm and friendly - an excellent example of co-operation and creation of good spirit amongst Clubs!

ER
26-08-2010, 10:53 AM
No MOZ, you are wrong and you know it! Black is not white and white is not black no matter how much you try to mix it up!

ChessGuru's point of reference was:

Seriously? Interclub chess isn't working because the precious BHCC team had to set their own clocks?

The particular underlined phrase never appeared in Kerry's post in the ChessChat in any shape or form.

Yet you direct ChessGuru here, although you know that Kerry never penned the particular phrase in her original posting.

Your appreciation of the tournament's success is noted and referred to in my previous. I acknowledged it fully and congratulated all involved despite some concerns I raised during its initial stages. So no need to repeat yourself aimlessly.

Back to the main "Interclub chess isn't working" argument, please read through Ax's suggestion thoroughly. It's a monument of a restrained and thoughtful dialectic approach. Yours simply isn't!

No chance for further engaging on my behalf as far as this matter is concerned! I might see you on Saturday at the Club if, hopefully, I can manage some free time to come to watch some games of the Vic Chess Championships final round!

Grant Szuveges
26-08-2010, 01:18 PM
I have responded to Trevor Stannings comments on this issue on the other forum also.

Spiny Norman
26-08-2010, 05:22 PM
My understanding is that Croydon and chesskids agreed to play only 3 boards, producing a double forfeit on board 4. That meant the game was played over 3 boards with a score of 1.5-1.5 resulting in a drawn match.
Could be. I wasn't there, so will need to check that with others at Croydon. Thanks for the info.

Watto
27-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Yes, in the week before the match, both teams still had only three players and fireeater and I discussed the possibility of our just not playing the fourth board (he said there was a precedent earlier in the teams championship.) In the last couple of days Croydon found a fourth player but he was what I would call reluctant as he was only filling in if we could find no one else so I advised him of the possibility that if Chesskids found no other player, we might just leave it at three boards (it's a very long drive from the outer East to Ormond to just claim a win on forfeit when you have a busy weekend planned.) The evening before the match Chesskids still had no fourth player and so fireeater and I agreed - based on our earlier discussions - that both teams would just field three boards.

Having thought about it since, for future matches, I wouldn't agree to this again as it did cost Croyon a potential point. Also I tend to believe that teams entering interclub should really make a concerted effort to come up with 4 players and if they can't, they forfeit.

But it was a perfectly amicable decision between fireeater and myself, arrived at over a number of conversations, so from that point of view at least it was in the spirit of interclub...

p.s. Speaking of the spirit of interclub, if anyone from Ballarat CC is reading this, please let Peter Lumsdon know that we have been enjoying the free range eggs he brought when Ballarat played Croydon :)

Leonid Sandler
01-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Below are the result from the last night(August 31) match .

MCC-2 ----- Elwood

Gorka-Goldenberg 0-1

NN-Sandler 0-1 (forfeit)

Beaumont-Stead 0-1

Kildisas-D.Lindberg 0,5-0,5

MCC-2---- 0,5---Elwood ---3,5

After 4 rounds (some teams have played 3 matches)

1-2. City of Yarra and Noble Park--- 6 team points each

3-4. BHCC and Canterbury Juniors ---5 team points each

5-6. Elwood and MCC-2 ------ 4 team points each

7.MCC-1------ 3 team points

With 3 rounds to play anyone could win the tournament!

ER
02-09-2010, 04:19 AM
MCC-2---- 0,5---Elwood ---3,5

This is a good reminder to those who hurried to declare Elwood CC as a non entity!!! Good win boys! :clap:

On the other hand, one observes that MCC has forfeited two games already in a very important competition. C'mon guys don't lose anymore points like that in the three remaining rounds!

Carl Gorka
02-09-2010, 08:31 PM
This is a good reminder to those who hurried to declare Elwood CC as a non entity!!! Good win boys! :clap:

I sincerely hope that Elwood CC keeps afloat, and if the rumours are true, then it is safe for a while :) Perhaps if the team members of the Elwood team and a few of us who live within walking distance made an effort to visit the club, it may help.

On the other hand, one observes that MCC has forfeited two games already in a very important competition. C'mon guys don't lose anymore points like that in the three remaining rounds!

As captain of MCC2 I take any responsibility for any forfeits. The job of a captain is to constantly remind (hassle) his players, to create fixtures which are most suitable for as many of his team members as possible, and to seek replacements when any regular members can't play. Unfortunately for this match, I was distinctly lacking in the last department and couldn't arrange for a fourth player.

Thai Ly was in no way responsible for not showing as he had previously indicated that he wouldn't be able to play, and it is unfair that his name is indicated next to the forfeit and after talking to Leonid Sandler, this is going to be replaced with a plain forfeit.

I'll endeavour to improve my captaincy, but have no complaints about any of my players who are doing MCC proud :)

Leonid Sandler
02-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Sorry Carl and Thai.

I have edit my post from September 1st.

ER
02-09-2010, 09:03 PM
I sincerely hope that Elwood CC keeps afloat, and if the rumours are true, then it is safe for a while :) Perhaps if ... a few of us who live within walking distance made an effort to visit the club, it may help....

Point taken I will do my best, I promise! :)

Mischa
03-09-2010, 11:06 PM
just my two cents worth...K lyall has been one amazing chess organizer and a committed parent of one of Victoria's brightest chess talents.
I had thought that the intra rivalry had stopped ...but Kerry...it may be time to let go????

Watto
04-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Anyone know? Have there really only been 3 matches played out of 7 for round 4 (ie the August round) or has the CV website just not been updated?
Box Hill 2 1-3 Geelong
Croydon 1.5-2.5 Ballarat
Ranges 1.5-2.5 Canterbury Raiderz

Metro
04-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Anyone know? Have there really only been 3 matches played out of 7 for round 4 (ie the August round) or has the CV website just not been updated?
Box Hill 2 1-3 Geelong
Croydon 1.5-2.5 Ballarat
Ranges 1.5-2.5 Canterbury Raiderz
Noble Park v Hobsons Bay 1.5-2.5 * played on Aug.28 at N.Park.

*TBC

Leonid Sandler
04-09-2010, 11:38 AM
The last round 4 match in Division 2--- MCC Hammers-Dandenong will be played tomorrow September 5th at Melbourne Chess Club

Here are the missing results from round 4.

City of Yarra-2 versus MCC-5 1,5------ 2,5

MCC-3 versus Chess Kids 4-0 (forfeit )

Watto
06-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks Leonid and Met for the updates.

Leonid Sandler
06-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Round 5 pairings are now published on Chess Victoria website www.chessvictoria.netfirms.com

Carl Gorka
06-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Canterbury Juniors v MCC2 is being played at BHCC on Sunday 12th September, at 6pm just after the rookies cup.

Leonid Sandler
17-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Elwood -- City of Yarra match will take place Thursday September 30 at Box Hill Chess Club.

Starting time 7-30 pm.

Spectators are welcome.

Lekko
26-09-2010, 08:42 PM
MCC Hammer vs Hobson Bay
1. Frank Lekkas 1-0 Dean Hogg
2. Michael Addamo 1-0 Peter Wolf
3. Deniz Tuncer 0-1 Mario Zoppi
4. Adolph Lekkas 0-1 Timothy Trott

2-2

that Caesar guy
29-09-2010, 12:55 AM
Results from today

MCC Knights 2.5 - 1.5 Noble Park
Name in Bold had White.
James Morris 1-0 Eddy Levi
Bill Jordan 0.5-0.5 Domagoj Dragicevic
Jesse Jager 1-0 Omar Bashar Khaled
Malcolm Pyke 0-1 Richard Voon

Board 1 was a quiet game in a very odd English opening, with White slowly building up an advantage when Eddy kindly popped a piece, making life so much easier :P. Board 2 was completely wild, with neither player deciding to follow the main line of a complicated variation and entered complications, with both players winning at various stages before agreeing to a deserved draw. Board 3 was a Jager special, as he steadily built up a safe position on the queenside before attacking on the kingside with ruthless efficiency in a Pirc, and even the best defence from Khaled wasn't enough. And Board 4 was an extraordinarily lucky escape for Voon, with Malcolm turning down the opportunity to win a piece in search of bigger gains, but found none - and in the resulting rook ending, he soon found himself lost.

Watto
29-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Results from last night's division two match which was played at Ranges (name in bold had White)
Ranges vs Croydon
1. Paul Bearup 1713 0-1 Ian Birchall 1764 (mobile phone rule during play)
2. Stephen Davies 1483 0-1 Jean Watson 1283
3. Franz Oswald 1378 1-0 Richard Goldsmith 1262
4. Tom Brennfleck 669 0-1 Herman Naude 1342

1-3

Garvinator
29-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Results from last night's division two match which was played at Ranges (name in bold had White)
Ranges vs Croydon
1. Paul Bearup 1713 -+ Ian Birchall 1764 (mobile phone forfeit)
2. Stephen Davies 1483 0-1 Jean Watson 1283
3. Franz Oswald 1378 1-0 Richard Goldsmith 1262
4. Tom Brennfleck 669 0-1 Herman Naude 1342

1-3
Hello Watto,

Was the mobile loss during play? If so, the game is to be recorded as 0-1, not - +.

Forfeits only occur before both players have made their first move. After that, it is recorded as a loss.

Watto
29-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Hello Watto,

Was the mobile loss during play? If so, the game is to be recorded as 0-1, not - +.

Forfeits only occur before both players have made their first move. After that, it is recorded as a loss.
Ah, okay, that makes sense -thanks for that. It was during play - I wasn't thinking. I've edited my post above.

Spiny Norman
29-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Congrats team! Well done Jean. Any chance you could post some games?

Watto
29-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Congrats team! Well done Jean. Any chance you could post some games?
Thanks SN. I only have my game. As you'd expect, it's not flawless by any means (the game swings a few times) but I did enjoy it and slept very well last night...

Event: Victorian Teams Championship
Date: 2010.09.28
Round: 5
White: Davies, Stephen
Black: Watson, Jean
Result: 0-1
ECO: D37
WhiteElo: 1483
BlackElo: 1283
EventDate: 2010.09.28

1. d4 e6 2. Nf3 d5 3. c4 Nf6 4. Nc3 Be7 5. e3 O-O 6. Bd2 b6 7. Ne5 Bb7 8. Bd3
dxc4 9. Bxc4 Bxg2 10. Rg1 Bb7 11. Ng4 g6 12. Nxf6+ Bxf6 13. Qg4 Nd7 14. Ne4
Bxe4 15. Qxe4 Qe7 16. Bc3 c5 17. O-O-O cxd4 18. exd4 Rac8 19. Bb3 Qb4 20. Kb1
Qb5 21. h4 Bg7 22. Rg5 Qc6 23. d5 exd5 24. Bxd5 Qc7 25. Bxg7 Kxg7 26. Qd4+ Kg8
27. Bb3 Nc5 28. Qc4 Nxb3 29. Qxb3 Rfd8 30. h5 Rxd1+ 31. Qxd1 Qf4 32. Rd5 Qxf2
33. h6 Qh4 34. Rd7 Qxh6 35. Rxf7 Rc1+ 0-1

Spiny Norman
30-09-2010, 07:03 AM
... it's not flawless by any means ...
I'm not qualified to comment on flawless, but I think you played very well indeed and I really liked some of the tactical nuances! Well played.

Watto
22-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Does anyone have a contact number for the Dandenong Chess Club? I can't find contact details on the club website.
Chris Potter's mobile number is listed on the CV website but it is disconnected. (I have emailed Chris Potter and Garry Lycett but haven't heard from them yet so it would be good to have a number as well. :))

Thanks.

Bereaved
22-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Hi Watto,

Garry Lycett's mobile number is 0417 394 116

Watto
22-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Hi Watto,

Garry Lycett's mobile number is 0417 394 116

Thanks Macavity!

Watto
01-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Results from yesterday afternoon's division two round 6 match which was played at Croydon (name in bold had White):

Croydon CC 1.5-2.5 Dandenong CC

Ian Birchall 1764 0-1 Garry Lycett 1777
Jamie Cross 1554 0-1 forfeit Christopher Potter 1509
Jean Watson 1283 1-0 Kevin Forster 1490
Richard Goldsmith 1262 0.5-0.5 Stephen Jago 1481

It was great to have the Dandenong players at our club. Interclub has been good from that point of view. The forfeit was disappointing (Guy was at the club and gave Chris a few games.) I didn't have a chance to look at the other games much but from the sound of it, Garry just played a better game on the day. I was actually much worse in my game early on (I'd say Kevin was winning) but I turned it around in the minor piece ending (we both missed a fair few tactics during the game.) Richard was apparently better in his game against Stephen but missed the win (from what I heard.) Well played though, Richard.

Watto
04-11-2010, 02:32 PM
It says on the CV website that the last round will be played Sunday November 21st at one venue - the venue being the Box Hill Chess Club at 3 Rochester Road, Canterbury.

Does anyone know what time the round is meant to start?

Thanks.

Lekko
07-11-2010, 09:38 PM
MCC Hammer (4) 3.5 - 0.5 Noble Park (2)

Leonid Sandler
08-11-2010, 09:02 PM
The last round will starts Sunday November 21 at Box Hill Chess Club.

Starting time 4-30 pm.

Spectators are welcome

Elwood team for Thursday November 11 round 6 match against MCC-1

1.I.Goldenberg
2.L.Sandler
3.D.Hacche
4.K.Stead

Venue ---Melbourne Chess Club

Starting time 7-00 pm

Spectators are welcome.

Leonid Sandler
11-11-2010, 10:04 PM
In tonight match at Melbourne Chess Club Elwood won against MCC-1 team

Goldenberg-Morris draw

Jordan-Sandler 0-1

Hacche-Pyke draw

Skiotis-Stead draw

Total score Elwood 2,5---MCC-1 1,5

Standings before the last round

1.Canterbury Juniors Chess Club----- 11 points

2.Noble Park Chess Club----- 9 points(they have played all matches)

3.Elwood Chess Club------ 8 points

4.City Of Yarra--- 7 points

5.Melbourne Chess Club team 1---- 6 points

6.Box Hill Chess Club--- 5 points

7.Melbourne Chess Club team 2---- 4 points

Last round pairings are as follows

Canterbury(11 points)---- MCC-1 (6 )

Elwood (8)----Box Hill (5)

MCC-2(4)----- City of Yarra (7)

Leonid Sandler
13-11-2010, 09:08 PM
The last round pairings are now on Chess Victoria website

www.chessvictoria.netfirms.com

Please note the last round games will be played at Box Hill Chess Club(3 Rochester Road,Canterbury) on Sunday November 21st.

Starting time 4-30 pm.

Spectators are welcome.

flushfyre
14-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Leonid, do you have the current board point standings? In the case that Elwood wins and Canterbury Juniors lose, how many points does each team need to gain to win?

Leonid Sandler
14-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Below is board points standings before the last round in Divison 1

Board points will be used in case of tie break

1.Noble Park---13 board points ( they have played all matches)

2.Canterbury Juniors---11,5 points

3.Elwood--- 11 points

4.Box Hill Chess Club ---10,5 points

5.City of Yarra-1---- 9, 5 points

6.Melbourne Chess Club -1----- 9 points

7.Melbourne Chess Club -2---- 7,5 points

Leonid Sandler
16-11-2010, 08:47 PM
With one round to go in Division 1 top two board standings are as follow

board 1

E.Levi ---3,5 points from 6 games

I.Goldenberg-- 3 points from 5 games

J.Morris and C.Gorka ---2,5 points each from 5 games

B.Cheng and C.Wallis--- 2 points each from 4 games

M.Rujevic 2 points from 5 games

board 2

D.Dragicevic--- 3,5 points from 6 games

L.Sandler---3 points from 4 games

D.Stojic--- 2,5 points from 5 games

T.Ly--- 2 points from 4 games

L.Matheson and I. Dyment 1,5 points each from 3 games

B.Jordan--- 1,5 points from 4 games

To be eligible to win first prize player must play minimum 5 games.

Leonid Sandler
16-11-2010, 09:13 PM
With one round to go the top performers on boards 3 and 4 are

board 3

S.Stojic and M.Raine-- 3,5 points each from 5 games

Jason Tang--- 3 points from 4 games

board 4

R.Voon--- 3 points from 3 games

P.Skiotis ---2,5 points from 4 games

the best reserves player ---Justin Tan--- 4 points from 4 games.

ER
17-11-2010, 05:42 AM
Excellent work Leonid and thanks.
However, let me come back to my old whinging, complaining, crying out loud etc :)
That's about complete neglect of lower categories teams and players statistics.
We simply do not exist! :lol:
Yet, as players, let me repeat, we are the ones who provide the base working capital for your CV competitions.
We deserve better than that.
Regarding conditions of play, provision of information, reports etc, Victoria rates a big fat ZERO compared with NSW.
Having said that, please let me repeat that this is not directed against you and the fulfilling of your duties.
On the contrary, I appreciate your continuously positive contribution and, above all, presence in tournaments and other chess related events.
On the other hand it seems that the "OK top boards will have their names on lists and labled tables, the rest of you go find your opponents and a table, set your clocks and pieces and start the games!" cultural attitude is alive and well!
I hope it changes one day!
Meanwhile, not that it says much, but I have chosen to participate in three interstate tournaments for the next two - three months, at dates where respective ones are held in Victoria!
The way things go, that No. may increase in the year 2011 !

Carl Gorka
17-11-2010, 09:44 AM
MCC2-City of Yarra

MCC2 won 2.5-1.5

Rujevic (w) - Gorka Draw
D. Stojic - T. Ly 0-1
S. Stojic - S. Urban Draw
M. Rikalo - V. Kildisas Draw

A couple of things. First, a big thanks to our opponents who played this match in the most sporting and friendly manner. One of our players, due to my inadequate instructions, went to Box Hill CC thinking the last round matches were to be played there. At 7.30 when the clocks had just started he rang the club and I asked his opponent and Mirko as team Captain and they agreed to postpone the game, giving our player time to come over. Great sportsmanship:clap:

As for my team, we performed probably better than we could have expected, winning 2 matches and drawing one. All our players have been competitive in all their games, usually against players above their rating. We have also been hampered by the fact that some players said they would play for our team, but then decided for whatever reason, that they wouldn't play. So the team who played this match has been an almost constant throughout the year. And as a captain, I have sometimes left organising things a bit late but my players have always come through:clap:

NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK
17-11-2010, 08:02 PM
MCC2-City of Yarra

MCC2 won 2.5-1.5

Rujevic (w) - Gorka Draw
D. Stojic - T. Ly 0-1
S. Stojic - S. Urban Draw
M. Rikalo - V. Kildisas Draw

A couple of things. First, a big thanks to our opponents who played this match in the most sporting and friendly manner. One of our players, due to my inadequate instructions, went to Box Hill CC thinking the last round matches were to be played there. At 7.30 when the clocks had just started he rang the club and I asked his opponent and Mirko as team Captain and they agreed to postpone the game, giving our player time to come over. Great sportsmanship:clap:

As for my team, we performed probably better than we could have expected, winning 2 matches and drawing one. All our players have been competitive in all their games, usually against players above their rating. We have also been hampered by the fact that some players said they would play for our team, but then decided for whatever reason, that they wouldn't play. So the team who played this match has been an almost constant throughout the year. And as a captain, I have sometimes left organising things a bit late but my players have always come through:clap:

Great result for MCC's 2nd team. Well done to Thai on his win.

Carl, if you have any of the games, it would much appreciated if you could post them.

mikesguns
19-11-2010, 05:25 PM
With one round to go the top performers on boards 3 and 4 are

board 3

S.Stojic and M.Raine-- 3,5 points each from 5 games

Jason Tang--- 3 points from 4 games

board 4

R.Voon--- 3 points from 3 games

P.Skiotis ---2,5 points from 4 games

the best reserves player ---Justin Tan--- 4 points from 4 games.
Do you have the individual placings for the second division

mikesguns
21-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Box Hill Chess Club 2 is it possible we can delay our game (MCC 4) to 6.30 tonight as there is/was a Allegro Championship, yesterday and today which me and Frank are playing in. If you cant change we will forfeit halfway through the tournament.

ER
21-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Do you have the individual placings for the second division

For a more detailed presentation of the same question please see post #225 in this thread!
As for the answer I am referring you to Bob Dylan's

"The answer my friend
Is blowin' in the wind..."!

Publicist
21-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Did you give any consideration to looking it up for yourselves

ER
21-11-2010, 04:08 PM
I didn't, since I have lost all hope for improvement of that site. However, the Pres posted here didn't he? BTW why doesn't CV use the website provided by David Cordover for free? It's easier to read and navigate, looks better and provides so many services that the present one doesn't.

Publicist
21-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Getting overworked volunteers to do the hard work for you Thanks Elliott

ER
21-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Getting overworked volunteers to do the hard work for you Thanks Elliott
Captain, the Box Hill Chess Club News Bulletin, is made by volunteers too and it's a publication of high professional standards!
My grievances, however, have to do more with the sometimes infuriating negligence not to say contempt in regards to lower category players rather than the quality of publications.
In the BHCC Bulletin every player, young or old, GM or lowest rated, have their names and sometimes their pictures published.
I have been complaining for this sort of descrimination on behalf of CV and I will continue to make noise untill it's fixed.
We, the lower rated players are the majority and the working capital of every tourament!
We should be treated with respect! Otherwise, we will not show respect to those who do not respect us, no matter who they are!
Every time I refer to this situation the quality work of IA Charles Zworestine comes to mind. I have played numerous times (mostly interstate) with him as an arbiter. Round after round he produces quality bulletins, referring to all players of all categories, demonstrating that he has followed each and every game of the tournament. And I am talking about serious tournaments here like SIO, Aus Champs and Doeberl.

Leonid Sandler
22-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Final standings

Division 1

1.Canterbury Juniors CC --- 14 team points( 14,5 game points)

2.Noble Park CC--------------9 team points ( 13,5 game points)

3.Elwood CC------------------9 team points ( 13 game points)

4.City of Yarra CC-------------7 team points( 11 game points)

5.MCC-2-----------------------7 team points(10 game points)

6.Box Hill Chess Club---------6 team points(12,5 game points)

7.MCC-1-----------------------6 team points( 10 game points)

Division 2 (top teams)

1.Geelong Chess Club---- 15 team points

2.MCC-5--------------------14 team points

3.Ballarat Chess Club-------13 team points

4.Dandenong Chess Club----12 team points

for full results please see CV website www.chessvictoria.netfirms.com

Board prizes winners in Division 1

board 1

1-2 Bobby Cheng and Chris Wallis-- 3 points each from 5 games (60%)

board 2

Leonid Sandler-- 4 points from 6 games(66.66 %)

board 3

Marcus Raine---- 4,5 points from 6 games(75 %)

board 4

Jason Tang--- 4 points from 5 games(80 %)

reserve player

Justin Tan--- 4 points from 5 games( 80 %)

Board winners (except one) in Division 2 will be announced later

on board 4---- Joel Beggs from Ballarat Chess Club won all his 5 games!

Big thanks to BHCC for providing the venue and yummy refreshments!

Lekko
22-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Board winners (except one) in Division 2 will be announced later

on board 4---- Joel Beggs from Ballarat Chess Club won all his 5 games!

Big thanks to BHCC for providing the venue and yummy refreshments!
*crosses fingers for board 1*

Oh, and it wasn't me who ate all the cake >_>

mikesguns
22-11-2010, 03:05 PM
*crosses fingers for board 1*

Oh, and it wasn't me who ate all the cake >_>
I think I have board 2 as well and u ate 4 pieces you pig.
LOL

Lekko
22-11-2010, 03:55 PM
LOL

As if you counted.

MichaelBaron
22-11-2010, 04:51 PM
LOL
Guys, If only you would eat your opponents pieces as easily as the Cake your team would win I bet :)

Lekko
22-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Guys, If only you would eat your opponents pieces as easily as the Cake your team would win I bet :)
It was good cake... :\

Leonid Sandler
23-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Board prizes winners in Division 2

Board 1

Frank Lekkas ( Melbourne Hammers)--- 5,5 points from 7 games(78,57%)

Board 2

Michael Addamo ( Melbourne Hammers)--- 5 points from 6 games(83,33%)

Board 3

Chris Potter ( Dandenong Chess Club)----4 points from 7 games(57,14%)

Board 4

Joel Beggs (Ballarat Chess Club)------- 5 points from 5 games(100 %)

Best junior/reserve player

Karl Zelesco( Canterbury Raiderz)---- 3,5 points from 4 games(87,5%)

Four of five winners are juniors!

Congratulations to all winners!

Watto
23-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Congratulations to all the teams and players who won either their divisions or board medals. :clap: I thought the format was a pretty good one ... and it was good to be at the one venue in the final round. Perhaps we could start and finish at the one venue in future? It was great to meet more players from other clubs - there were lots of great games played and committed teams out there.

The large number of forfeits (in the last round it was absurdly high) resulting from players or teams just not turning up was a real problem, however. The reasons for it I can only guess at... ineptitude, indifference and/or a lack of common courtesy? It's not that difficult to pick up a phone or email a team manager to explain that a player or a team won't be there. It's not that difficult to remember that an event is on or to check the dates and opponents in the first place and organise a team.

Croydon weren't above reproach - we also had a forfeit we didn't anticipate during the event. Sometimes a single player just forgets and I have some understanding for that but even in that instance, I think there needs to be some sort of penalty for it - one which hits the individual as well and not just the team result.

Overall I'd say it was a good event but this is an aspect of the competition which really needs to be looked at and improved before we could all feel this teams event was thoroughly successful.

Note: I'm saying this as an individual, not as a representative of either Croydon Chess or the MCC (my two clubs)

ER
23-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Board prizes winners in Division 2

Board 1

Frank Lekkas ( Melbourne Hammers)--- 5,5 points from 7 games(78,57%)

Board 2

Michael Addamo ( Melbourne Hammers)--- 5 points from 6 games(83,33%)
Congratulations to all winners!

Hey you youngsters I hadn't seen that!!!! Congratulations :clap: :clap: :clap:
And talking about cakes, your favourite ones are on me! :)

Lekko
23-11-2010, 09:55 PM
And talking about cakes, your favourite ones are on me! :)
hehe you're going to regret that ;) :D

ER
23-11-2010, 11:31 PM
hehe you're going to regret that ;) :D
LOL it's as much as you can guys eat in one go though! :P You name place and cakes! :lol:

Lekko
24-11-2010, 12:17 AM
LOL it's as much as you can guys eat in one go though! :P You name place and cakes! :lol:
Chocolate and white chocolate mudcakes. You can bring them down this saturday when you come to allegro, or Sunday when you come for the blitz championship. I will be waiting ;)

ER
24-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Chocolate and white chocolate mudcakes. You can bring them down this saturday when you come to allegro, or Sunday when you come for the blitz championship. I will be waiting ;)

Whoa youngster hehe, :lol: would you like a good looking waitress to serve them to you as well? The deal is you, Michael and I will go to a place you chose. You select the cakes you like, you stuff your faces with them, I pay, we go. Coming to think of it I might ask for concent by Mr and Mrs Lekkas and Mr and Mrs Addamo just in case you complain of belly aches after the cake attack and I don't want your parents to show up with "what have you done to our kids?" questions! :P

Basil
24-11-2010, 09:11 AM
The deal is you, Michael and I will go to a place you chose. You select the cakes you like, you stuff your faces with them, I pay, we go.
I'm in!

ER
24-11-2010, 10:29 AM
I'm in!

You are welcome! Along with Melina and the kids of course! :)

Lekko
24-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Whoa youngster hehe, :lol: would you like a good looking waitress to serve them to you as well? The deal is you, Michael and I will go to a place you chose. You select the cakes you like, you stuff your faces with them, I pay, we go. Coming to think of it I might ask for concent by Mr and Mrs Lekkas and Mr and Mrs Addamo just in case you complain of belly aches after the cake attack and I don't want your parents to show up with "what have you done to our kids?" questions! :P
I'm 18 now, I sign my own consent form! ;)