PDA

View Full Version : Sicilan replies for Black

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
15-02-2010, 04:39 PM
ive just picked up alburts "chess openings for black explained".

what i was wondering is if the "accelerated dragon" which he chooses as a primary reply to e4 is the best system for a newcomer.

can anybody commnent on the style (tactical/positional/risk) and merits of the rest of the sicilians for black.

including ............

kan
sveshnikov
scheveningen
taimanov
najdorf
richter-rauzer
classical
dragon
accelerated dragon
3) bb5
and any other "open sicilian" ive forgotten.

cheers

Alexrules01
15-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Lol this is really weird, I just got given the same book yesterday :P

Wish there was some analysis on the Kings Indian Defence though :(

Garrett
15-02-2010, 04:53 PM
You would probably find the book "Starting out: Sicilian" very useful.

It would probably answer most of your questions.

cheers
Garrett.

Denis_Jessop
15-02-2010, 07:27 PM
ive just picked up alburts "chess openings for black explained".

what i was wondering is if the "accelerated dragon" which he chooses as a primary reply to e4 is the best system for a newcomer.

can anybody commnent on the style (tactical/positional/risk) and merits of the rest of the sicilians for black.

including ............

kan
sveshnikov
scheveningen
taimanov
najdorf
richter-rauzer
classical
dragon
accelerated dragon
3) bb5
and any other "open sicilian" ive forgotten.

cheers

The beauty of the Sicilian is that there are many different forms that Black can adopt depending partly on Black's own style of play. But it is very complicated and full of traps and other tactics. I'd hesitate to recommend any particular variation as "the best". I started out playing the Dragon but only because that was what Botvinnik played. At the time, from memory, the accelerated Dragon was the victim of the Maroczy Bind and not recommended. In your list, the Richter-Rauzer and 3.Bb5 are White, not Black options. Once you start on the Sicilian you can stick with it for life as it will take most players that long to get around all the quirks - but it's fun.

DJ

george
15-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Hi all,
A novelty I have found is on about move 10 or so if white has a bishop on c4 you play bishop to e3. White Kings knight and blacks queens knight both have to be off the board. If white takes black has doubled e pawns but not all bad at all especially with the open f file with a powerful black rook bearing down on whites kingside. Its an aggressive line I have played in many different time limit games and it doesnt seem easy to find a refutation. Ive probably only played this about 8 times in the last 2 years and had good success even against stronger players.
Its probably a wally line easily refuted but if you dont know the refutation its very hard to find over the board.

Anyway if someone knows the refutation can they post an example game I would find it very informative - thx all.

george
17-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Hi All,

Sorry it should have been e6 not e3 - my apologies.

george
17-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Much better like this.

Hi all,
A novelty I have found is on about move 10 or so if white has a bishop on c4 you play bishop to e6. White Kings knight and blacks queens knight both have to be off the board. If white takes black has doubled e pawns but not all bad at all especially with the open f file with a powerful black rook bearing down on whites kingside. Its an aggressive line I have played in many different time limit games and it doesnt seem easy to find a refutation. Ive probably only played this about 8 times in the last 2 years and had good success even against stronger players.
Its probably a wally line easily refuted but if you dont know the refutation its very hard to find over the board.

Anyway if someone knows the refutation can they post an example game I would find it very informative - thx all.

Adamski
19-02-2010, 04:46 PM
These days the "Dragdorf" is somewhat fashionable for Black. GM Gawain Jones played it twice in the Aus Champs for a 50% score, with neither game drawn!

As the name suggests it means playing a Dragon (with ..g6) folowed by ..a6.

There is a recent book on it but I do not have it. G Jones probably does!!

What do the strong players on ths board think of it?

george
19-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Hi All,

I am aware of the marockzy bind with e6 but this is not what I am asking about and most games show either draw or win for white. I am only considering the games where white has played bc4 and you challenge with be6 putting pressure not only on W bishop but on a2.

Anyway if no-one here has got the time to consider this variation i will wait till I can have a 1/1 with Mark or Alexander i guess.

regards
George

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
25-02-2010, 05:43 AM
thanks for the replies.

i was initially keen on the sicilian dragon due to it appearing to be tactical in nature. i guess i made an incorrect assumption that the accelerated dragon is a more heightened tactical version of the sicilian dragon. seems its not the case.

i think ill be angling towards the dragon and whatever is good for black to combat the closed sicilians........

antichrist
25-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Hi All,

I am aware of the marockzy bind with e6 but this is not what I am asking about and most games show either draw or win for white. I am only considering the games where white has played bc4 and you challenge with be6 putting pressure not only on W bishop but on a2.

Anyway if no-one here has got the time to consider this variation i will wait till I can have a 1/1 with Mark or Alexander i guess.

regards
George

Hi George, I apologise that you had to wait for my much-awaited return to get a sensible answer. NOt many people here can think outside of the square so remember that.

I have played that variation (if can be called that) with success against weaker players. But where there was money on it. I have not been game to play against better players.

If the exchange takes place with white bishop exchanging black bishop, it opens up the f file for Black rook attack. If it is not a book move I am claiming credit for it as I have been using for a few years. I will call it the BBBRA attack after Byron Bay Black Rook Attack

george
26-02-2010, 08:13 PM
hi antichrist,

Nice to know I'm not alone in having a fondness for this move. It has much value and I will ask a titled player someday of the refutation to the move.
Of course they may counter a good player as white would not play the bishop to C4 BUT if they do I want to know why it isnt playable:hmm: .

antichrist
19-01-2012, 10:27 AM
http://www.chess.com/forum/view/premium_members/problem-with-book-openings---yugoslav-attack-soltis-variation

If you go to Book Openings, and search for "Soltis" you will find an entry on the Yugoslav Attack, Soltis Variation (B79). Unfortunately, the variation is wrongly identified. The Soltis variation of the Yugoslav attack starts with:

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 6.Be3 Bg7 7.f3 0-0 8.Qd2 Nc6 9.Bc4 Bd7 10.0-0-0 Rc8 11.Bb3 Ne5 12.h4 h5

Alexrules01
19-01-2012, 05:26 PM
I believe he wanted to know information about a line like the Soltis, but on move 10 ...Be6 is played, so move 9 would be ...Nxd4.

george
19-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Hi alex,

Yes you need to swap knights first on move 9 as black then play Be6.

At this point I need to know whether I am up the creek or not - as said before I have had good results even against better players some much better.

I have gone wrong later but either after this move or one or two moves later computor gives me a plus score.

Next time i see mark chapman i will pull him aside and ask him for his opinion.

Thx Alex and AC

Lekko
20-01-2012, 02:31 AM
Hi alex,

Yes you need to swap knights first on move 9 as black then play Be6.

At this point I need to know whether I am up the creek or not - as said before I have had good results even against better players some much better.

I have gone wrong later but either after this move or one or two moves later computor gives me a plus score.

Next time i see mark chapman i will pull him aside and ask him for his opinion.

Thx Alex and AC
I played it for a while but I think white can get a slight edge in that line if he just goes Bb3 without swapping on e6. The sidelines usually offer white a slight edge, sometimes more. I think only the soltis and the chinese dragon stand up to theory.

Sheroff
20-01-2012, 07:58 AM
I recently read a very good book called "White against the Sicilan", which gives suggestions for White against all main Sicilian lines. Although it is aimed at the player with White, those who play the Sicilian as Black would also find it quite useful.
The ...Nxd4, followed by ...Be6 line in the Yugoslav Dragon you mentioned is in there, too.

Cheers,
Kevin Casey
www.remoteriverman.com