PDA

View Full Version : Revamped NSWCA web site

Adamski
13-02-2010, 09:48 AM
New NSWCA webmaster Quentin Reitmans has given the NSWCA web site a facelift. :clap:

See http://www.nswca.org.au

Rincewind
13-02-2010, 09:53 AM
I agree. It looks very good.

Tzoglanis
13-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Hello Quentin,

Not bad, though I think so much more can be done. For example:
1) Daily puzzle is required
2) Map of Sydney clubs was ok
3) Player profile eg. former NSW champs
4) Weekly prize giveaway of a chess book
5) Links to past game databases, played in NSW champs.
6) Maybe weekly game annotated by GM Rogers, with some history etc.
7) Links to certain blogs or sites like CGM, chesschat etc.
8) Rating calculators

If anyone else can add more?

Denis_Jessop
13-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Hello Quentin,

Not bad, though I think so much more can be done. For example:
1) Daily puzzle is required
2) Map of Sydney clubs was ok
3) Player profile eg. former NSW champs
4) Weekly prize giveaway of a chess book
5) Links to past game databases, played in NSW champs.
6) Maybe weekly game annotated by GM Rogers, with some history etc.
7) Links to certain blogs or sites like CGM, chesschat etc.
8) Rating calculators

If anyone else can add more?

Though I'm not from NSW really I think this is a most niggardly response. Here we have a new webmaster presenting a very attractive and informative web site and the response is it should have a whole lot more things many of which are not only froth on a website but are more appropriate to a newsletter.

One very small comment - doesn't Vlad have 2 IM norms, one from the Masters in Melbourne and one this year?

DJ

Tzoglanis
13-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Though I'm not from NSW really I think this is a most niggardly response. Here we have a new webmaster presenting a very attractive and informative web site and the response is it should have a whole lot more things many of which are not only froth on a website but are more appropriate to a newsletter.
DJ
I disagree that I am mean with my comments. I happen to be friends with Quentin, I am sure he would not be offended. After all I am only expressing one opinion. Please forward any improvements you can suggest for the site.
Do you think a puzzle section is not warranted?
cheers

Denis_Jessop
13-02-2010, 07:32 PM
I disagree that I am mean with my comments. I happen to be friends with Quentin, I am sure he would not be offended. After all I am only expressing one opinion. Please forward any improvements you can suggest for the site.
cheers

Thanks for the clarification. That's one problem with a bulletin board and posters using a pseudonym - one never knows just where they are coming from.

As for a puzzle section, it wouldn't be my first priority for a web site or perhaps a priority at all. The function of a web site is primarily to impart information about the NSWCA (in this case) and things like annotated games and puzzles are more in keeping with a newsletter or a chess blog, in my view.

Moreover, you may well be lucky in NSW to have a webmaster at all. For years we have struggled to find one in the ACT. Good ones are an even rarer asset.

DJ

Adamski
15-02-2010, 03:24 PM
As for a puzzle section, it wouldn't be my first priority for a web site or perhaps a priority at all. The function of a web site is primarily to impart information about the NSWCA (in this case) and things like annotated games and puzzles are more in keeping with a newsletter or a chess blog, in my view.DJI agree with Denis here, and most of his earlier comments too. Puzzles are definitely not a focus for a state chess association web site. Also, it should always be borne in mind that those who maintain chess web sites are volunteers freely giving lots of their time to the cause. Yes, sites can always be improved, but we should focus on applauding the good work that has been done rather than immediately asking for more. (And yes, Denis, while I think of it you were right again in the Football thread-Chelsea were at home to Cardiff. Misled by shoutbox comment re Wales speaking different dialect...I should have checked.)

Santa
01-03-2010, 03:38 AM
cheers

I think your comments might have been more appropriate in a PM. As you can judge for yourself, the first thoughts of others were how poorly it reflected on yourself.

I saw it independently a few days ago, and I reckon it's terrific. Sure there's more can be done, there always is, but it looks like it's done with some decent content management software, so as other features are needed they can easily be added.

Congratulations.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Oh, it's my view the webmaster's job is to manage the site, to provide tools. It's up to others to provide the content.