PDA

View Full Version : Australian Championships Poll

Oepty
25-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Who will win the Australian Championship tournament (not the title)?
This is a public poll

Garvinator
25-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Who will win the Australian Championship tournament (not the title)?
This is a public poll
Thank you :clap: :clap: :clap:

Oepty
25-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Thank you :clap: :clap: :clap:

Not a problem. Except I thought I had made it public, mucked something up. Oops
Scott

Garvinator
25-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Not a problem. Except I thought I had made it public, mucked something up. Oops
Scott
It is a public poll. I can see who voted for which person.

Oepty
25-12-2009, 08:11 PM
It is a public poll. I can see who voted for which person.

Okay, it is. I have to click on the numbers of the totals to see who has voted though - ussaully show automatically.
Scott

Bill Gletsos
25-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Okay, it is. I have to click on the numbers of the totals to see who has voted though - ussaully show automatically.It only shows automatically if you have not voted.

Oepty
25-12-2009, 09:43 PM
It only shows automatically if you have not voted.

Okay, that explains it. Thanks Bill
Scott

Lekko
25-12-2009, 11:25 PM
I wouldn't put it past Morris to win.

Metro
26-12-2009, 10:24 PM
I wouldn't put it past Megazz to win :doh: aka banana man.

Kevin Bonham
27-12-2009, 04:45 PM
As Webb has now withdrawn (without receiving any votes) I have replaced him with Gareth Charles in the poll. Note that Charles is the reserve so his place in the field

If, at any stage in the poll, anyone who has voted wishes to change their vote because the field has changed, make a post to that effect. I can reallocate votes but the voter's name still shows where it was originally placed.

shan_siddiqi
27-12-2009, 04:53 PM

I would. He's good, but he's not yet in the same ballpark as the GMs (although he probably will be before we know it). I don't think anybody would argue that he's still one of the weaker IM's in Australia... of course, he's still probably better than I'll ever be, but it takes a lot to win a tournament like this one.

The Bennett
27-12-2009, 05:05 PM
I agree, hes good but maybe not as good as Gawain and Zong Yuan yet. But of course he might still pull it off and win it, I wish him luck :).

MB

Oepty
27-12-2009, 05:06 PM
As Webb has now withdrawn (without receiving any votes) I have replaced him with Gareth Charles in the poll. Note that Charles is the reserve so his place in the field

If, at any stage in the poll, anyone who has voted wishes to change their vote because the field has changed, make a post to that effect. I can reallocate votes but the voter's name still shows where it was originally placed.

Thank you Kevin
Scott

Desmond
27-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Which one?

Lekko
27-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Which one?
Oh, didn't realise there were 2. James.

I would. He's good, but he's not yet in the same ballpark as the GMs (although he probably will be before we know it). I don't think anybody would argue that he's still one of the weaker IM's in Australia... of course, he's still probably better than I'll ever be, but it takes a lot to win a tournament like this one.

I'm sure he'll prove you wrong ;)

Trent Parker
28-12-2009, 03:49 AM
I'm picking Zong Yuan Zhao to win the championships tournament with Max Illingworth as my roughie bet.

IMO Max will be wanting to put in one of his best performances of his chessing career in this tournament..... when school goes back IIRC he will be in year 12 and may not be able to play much chess next year. Also his result in the Commonwealth Championships was great and I believe the 1 game a day will suit him.

I Cant rule Therealdeal out of the equation. His results in the Zonal earlier in the year plus other recent results has been outstanding. However I reckon the 1 game a day might assist the older masters over the younger masters....... Therealdeal has a long and successful chess career ahead and I think he will eventually win an australian Champs, however, this time I reckon it will be a case of Close but no cigar.

Carl Gorka
28-12-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm going with the CV VP:)

Carl Gorka
28-12-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm picking Zong Yuan Zhao to win the championships tournament with Max Illingworth as my roughie bet.

IMO Max will be wanting to put in one of his best performances of his chessing career in this tournament..... when school goes back IIRC he will be in year 12 and may not be able to play much chess next year. Also his result in the Commonwealth Championships was great and I believe the 1 game a day will suit him.

I Cant rule Therealdeal out of the equation. His results in the Zonal earlier in the year plus other recent results has been outstanding. However I reckon the 1 game a day might assist the older masters over the younger masters....... Therealdeal has a long and successful chess career ahead and I think he will eventually win an australian Champs, however, this time I reckon it will be a case of Close but no cigar.

:lol: :lol: You make it sound like Max is one of the old masters

shan_siddiqi
28-12-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm sure he'll prove you wrong ;)

I hope he does, I wish him the best. Especially because I'd get to say that I have an undefeated record against the Australian Champion (of course, it was just one draw... and it was before he was an IM)...

Still, I voted for Zong - Sydney Uni med spirit.

Lekko
28-12-2009, 06:03 PM
I hope he does, I wish him the best. Especially because I'd get to say that I have an undefeated record against the Australian Champion (of course, it was just one draw... and it was before he was an IM)...

Still, I voted for Zong - Sydney Uni med spirit.
I just have this feeling that Zhong isn't going to do well for some reason.

Adamski
28-12-2009, 06:19 PM
I just have this feeling that Zhong isn't going to do well for some reason.:lol: Yes, you have to be in to win! GM Zhong is not playing. GM Zong Yuan Zhao is, and in my book is favourite.

Lekko
28-12-2009, 06:26 PM
:lol: Yes, you have to be in to win! GM Zhong is not playing. GM Zong Yuan Zhao is, and in my book is favourite.
I didn't spell it right Mr technicality...

Garvinator
28-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Ok, there are enough votes in now to make an observation.

I am surprised by the lack of votes for Gawain Jones :hmm:

The Bennett
28-12-2009, 08:15 PM

I agree, Gawain is an experienced GM he should be gettin a little more than what he is.

Kevin Bonham
28-12-2009, 08:24 PM

Indeed, and if he is not eligible for the title (is that correct?) that gives him something of an advantage because he can focus on going for the tournament win whereas others may be happy to take second so long as it gives them the title.

Adamski
28-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Indeed, and if he is not eligible for the title (is that correct?) that gives him something of an advantage because he can focus on going for the tournament win whereas others may be happy to take second so long as it gives them the title.Yes, a non-Australian resident cannot win the title of Australian Chess Champion. I vaguely recall a game Gawain lost to someone much lower rated at the Gold Coast and - maybe somewhat illogically - this is why i did not pick him.

Paul Cavezza
29-12-2009, 12:54 AM
oops... voted for the wrong Morris...

Trent Parker
29-12-2009, 06:48 AM
:lol: :lol: You make it sound like Max is one of the old masters
:lol: :lol: I just reckon that of all the younger players the one day a game will suit Max most....... my opinion.