PDA

View Full Version : AR, Mt B thread, freedom of speech etc.

cincinnatus
14-08-2004, 10:04 PM
Prove your claims that you have made or i will start looking through the acf constitution.

... and then everyone will really take notice!

jenni
14-08-2004, 11:49 PM
im sure that you have to be close to an official complaint being lodged against you for acting against the best interests of australian chess.

Its a free world, he's got the right to say things like that if he wants to.

He's the one who is going to miss out. The thing is AR really likes chess and when Mt Buller happens and people say what a good social time it was, he is going to feel a bit of a pang that he wasn't there.

Kevin Bonham
15-08-2004, 01:51 AM
Also I am being serious when i say i have had a gutful of your divisive actions and comments. Prove your claims that you have made or i will start looking through the acf constitution. :evil:

I'll save you the effort, you won't find anything.

Garvinator
15-08-2004, 10:31 AM
Its a free world, he's got the right to say things like that if he wants to.

He's the one who is going to miss out. The thing is AR really likes chess and when Mt Buller happens and people say what a good social time it was, he is going to feel a bit of a pang that he wasn't there.
yep, its a free world apparently :hmm: and amiel had his chance to complain and voice his concerns, when the bids were being put up for choice by the acf council. If he was actually trying to act in the best interests of australian chess, he could have raised his concerns with his state delegate, which is :uhoh: oh thats right, Bill Gletsos. It would have been real difficult for him to raise is concerns with Bill, wouldnt it :lol:

ursogr8
15-08-2004, 10:47 AM
yep, its a free world apparently :hmm: and amiel had his chance to complain and voice his concerns, when the bids were being put up for choice by the acf council. If he was actually trying to act in the best interests of australian chess, he could have raised his concerns with his state delegate, which is :uhoh: oh thats right, Bill Gletsos. It would have been real difficult for him to raise is concerns with Bill, wouldnt it :lol:

hi gg''
A good try by you to try to stand on the high moral ground and say (essentially) that all concerns should be raised through the proper channels at the proper time. The weakness of where you are standing is that it was the same ACF that approved earlier Mt B. schemes by the GURU. The proper channels have not always been the high moral ground.

Now I am not supporting arosar in his choice of holiday destination, but he is on a BB and we will fight for his right to be heard. Just admit that you were over the top and we can on with more important things like ....(oops, I was just about to cause thread drift :uhoh: ).

starter

Garvinator
15-08-2004, 10:52 AM
Just admit that you were over the top and we can on with more important things like
i will admit no such thing, i have actually been very restrained with amiels comments so far compared to what i have thought. I actually have been disgusted by other posters reactions to his comments.

By the way, what was the ambush :uhoh:

ursogr8
15-08-2004, 11:00 AM
i will admit no such thing, i have actually been very restrained with amiels comments so far compared to what i have thought. I actually have been disgusted by other posters reactions to his comments.

Restrained in what sense gg''?
So far, from memory, you have threatened him with a BB Ban, Council action,and other. (The first is virtually taking away half his life. ;) )

By the way, what was the ambush :uhoh:

Already sprung on another thread. :uhoh:

starter

jenni
15-08-2004, 11:00 AM

I may not like what he says, but I will fight to the death for his right to say it. :)

If you had grown up in a fascist country as I did, you would appreciate democracy.

Garvinator
15-08-2004, 11:19 AM
Already sprung on another thread. :uhoh:

starter
oh ok i thought the ambush was coming my direction :eek: clearly not ;)

Garvinator
15-08-2004, 11:21 AM
If you had grown up in a fascist country as I did, you would appreciate democracy.
and with the right of 'free' speech also comes responsibility for your words and actions and how they affect others, especially when you have been given the opportunity to use your 'right to free' speech already.

Rincewind
15-08-2004, 11:48 AM
and with the right of 'free' speech also comes responsibility for your words and actions and how they affect others, especially when you have been given the opportunity to use your 'right to free' speech already.

There isnt' even any need to impinge on Amiel's rights here. His arguments simply have no force and can be left to fall over by themselves. If what he said did hae some merit then it would be in everyone's interest to take notice of them. So I certainly wouldn't support censuring or censoring anyone on political grounds.

arosar
15-08-2004, 08:11 PM
Clearly, gray is a fascist dictator who has no business being part of an organising committee. I tell youse what: if this bloke lasts in Aussie chess for much longer, it'll be the death of healthy free exchanges. He'll just rule Aussie chess like a regular Marcos. There'll be no debate, no discussion, no commentary, no criticism, no freedom. Gray, you are a dangerous person.

AR

Garvinator
15-08-2004, 08:17 PM
Clearly, gray is a fascist dictator who has no business being part of an organising committee. I tell youse what: if this bloke lasts in Aussie chess for much longer, it'll be the death of healthy free exchanges. He'll just rule Aussie chess like a regular Marcos. There'll be no debate, no discussion, no commentary, no criticism, no freedom. Gray, you are a dangerous person.

AR
thanks amiel for such a compliment :doh: it is only you that i dont like and cant stand for a second :evil:

arosar
15-08-2004, 08:22 PM

What fascist country?

AR

jenni
15-08-2004, 08:27 PM
Absolutely - but we all know AR is irresponsible. :)

Kevin Bonham
15-08-2004, 09:58 PM
There are at least four relevant concepts of rights/responsibilities here.

Actual: We're not stopping AR and I can't see anyone doing so, so if he thinks he can get away with it good luck to him. He can expect to make an enemy or two here and there if he's lucky.

Legal: Most of what he's said has been legally OK, or at least if anyone thinks they can prove otherwise I'll observe the court case with interest.

Intellectual: Doesn't really apply to trolling on bulletin boards, does it? :hmm:

Moral/ethical: I'll leave that one to those who believe in such things.

It's all been a great big beat-up by AR, but it has also been one of the more competent displays of trashy trolling I've seen here in a long time. Think he may have finally cooked his g**** with that last little effort though.

Garvinator
15-08-2004, 10:04 PM
Think he may have finally cooked his g**** with that last little effort though.
:lol: :lol: