PDA

View Full Version : CV website, events calendar for 2010

SHump
14-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Ranges published our 2010 calendar on 8 Dec (minor updates really only) - ie updated the club web site with the 2010 calendar. BHCC and CJCC club has also distributed a calendar now. I know other clubs have also updated their web site with next year's calendar or events.

A list of Ranges events for 2010, what CV would call 'significant events' were sent to the CV exeutive a month before the CV AGM. Other clubs would have also done that at about the same time frame, at CV's request, so I am not tying to blow Ranges trumpet on this.

And so the definition of 'published' can be taken two ways probably: 1) as told to CV, those significant events that all clubs/players should be aware of, and what should appear on the CV web site ASAP; 2) all the club events, as put into each club's site (or printed out and handed out to club members), so others can browse as needed or for interest sake.

It is disappointing to see only 2 Ranges event so far appear on the CV calendar (note the event marked down for 18-19 Aug in the CV calendar should be 18-19 Sept - the Ranges Spring Break weekender). Yes I can see that the calendar is noted as a work in progress - however it does look like BHCC, CJCC events are in the calendar in abundance, plus the well known events (Begonia/Doeberl/SIO/Vic Open). CV should have a list of events from most clubs already, but of course I am not sure of this. I know Ranges submitted some 10 or more events to CV at the end of Sept for the CV 2010 calendar.

I will wait with bated breath for the next CV calendar update. From my point of view, CV should have enough information to populate the calendar with club 'significant' event information, where 'significant' was agreed with the previous CV executive. In the Ranges case, these are: the 2 weekenders, the 5 Ranges Rookies Shields, the 7 round Tues night Ranges Open, the 7 Round Tues night Ranges club championship. Not too much to ask.

FYI, Ranges 2010 calendar is attached, or go to http://www.rangeschessclub.com.au/PHITE.php?sitesig=PT&page=PT_210_Our_Calendar and download it.

Publicist
14-12-2009, 09:08 PM
As the webmaster of the CV web site has received a considerable amount of insulting sh-t on the quality of the work he has done for the last 2 years [from both sides of the barbed wire fence], updating is no longer one of his priorities at this point in time. All that he promised Leonid is that he would update the calendar before the end of the year and that has way to go. So SHump if you are nice to him and say please he might put you at the top of the list

ChessGuru
14-12-2009, 10:12 PM
As the webmaster of the CV web site has received a considerable amount of insulting sh-t on the quality of the work he has done for the last 2 years [from both sides of the barbed wire fence], updating is no longer one of his priorities at this point in time. All that he promised Leonid is that he would update the calendar before the end of the year and that has way to go. So SHump if you are nice to him and say please he might put you at the top of the list

Very important point has been made here. Get the RIGHT people doing the job...

Hartland has done his best and we can only commend him for that -- in fact he's probably learned a LOT in the process and improved considerably in his time as web-master. We should be thanking him for his work and proud of him for his ability to do something completely outside his comfort zone/area of expertise. It is understandable that he's getting criticism for the quality of the site, but people should realise that it isn't HIM to blame. HE is doing a GREAT JOB (within his capability range)....

It's really the job of leadership to ensure that the RIGHT people are engaged in the job -- don't put the short stocky old guy on the A-grade basketball team just because he offered.

Bill Gletsos
14-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Hartland has done his best and we can only commend him for thatYou are a disingenuous individual.

Hartland holds a point of view that says "questioning = criticism" and of course how dare anyone criticise a volunteer. So we should just accept anything that comes our way and be grateful that it is there at all....even when what we are getting is WORSE than nothing at all.

SHump
15-12-2009, 08:47 AM
I would like to note that I am not meaning to give any personal criticisism of Gerrit. I have not been sure how much information he has from the clubs, and I realise there is a transition period involved between CV executives, and personal time and motivation issues involved. So I wanted to make this clear, and yes I am asking nicely re how the CV calendar will unfold in the near term.

Davidflude
15-12-2009, 10:19 PM
I am about to send the President's bulletin into Cyberspace which thanks Gerrit.

The utilities which enable you to build supercool websites really quickly just did not exist until recently.

Furthermore they were not legal freebees. I have been looking at them. I am awed at their capabilities. In particular there is an absolutely magic calendar file
available.

Considering the tools that were available when he built his web page Gerrit has done a terrific job.

Spiny Norman
16-12-2009, 05:04 AM
The utilities which enable you to build supercool websites really quickly just did not exist until recently.
Furthermore they were not legal freebees.
Greatest respect to all concerned for doing a thankless task. However I need to point out that the above information is just not correct. There have been excellent free tools for building websites for at least 5 years. Croydon's website is an example (www.croydonchess.com). It costs us around $100/year for the hosting and the domain name, and all the software on the website (DotNetNuke and all its modules, plus the chess game and tournament results presentation software) are free.

Davidflude
16-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Greatest respect to all concerned for doing a thankless task. However I need to point out that the above information is just not correct. There have been excellent free tools for building websites for at least 5 years.

Well you learn something new every day. The point is that improvement is an on going process. As an example look at some of the new free calendar utilities.

Croydon's website is an example .It costs us around $100/year for the hosting and the domain name, and all the software on the website (DotNetNuke and all its modules, plus the chess game and tournament results presentation software) are free.

Yes and you have a totally elegant web site which could serve as a paradigm for other clubs building web sites. The cost of the hosting and domain neme is comparable with other hosts. It usually costs slightly more if you want to add in extra domain names or have the host register and maintain you with all the search engines

Basil
16-12-2009, 09:26 AM
^ above url doesn't work on account of the bracket attached to the link

Denis_Jessop
16-12-2009, 11:09 AM
As an outsider I am a bit puzzled about all the fuss over the CV website.

I don't understand what is supposed to be wrong with it. It seems to me to contain all the necessary information.

If people are concerned simply because it's not flash like the latest ones that someone else has then it must be remembered that this is a matter of style. It would be very boring if all sites looked the same or very similar. This one is better than its predecessor in that respect. Without meaning to be cheeky or rude, I'd suggest that the present one created by Gerrit has overtones of de Stijl or Piet Mondrian which does no harm at all. Remember that nostalgia and art deco are also "in" still (I think)

DJ

Basil
16-12-2009, 11:14 AM
It usually costs slightly more if you want to add in extra domain names or have the host register and maintain you with all the search engines
Without wishing to divert, and happy to have a thread split, a note to all would-be web masters - do not pay to be registered with search engines. It is an unnecessary furfie and waste of money on what is now a bygone requisite.

Publicist
17-12-2009, 01:12 AM
The webmaster would like to amend the term insulting sh-t to patronising crap
A further update on progress
SHump was nice in his request and his stuff is now up>
The web master not yet seen any further requests for inclusion in the calendar.
He is waiting for the masters photos so the photo page can be updated
It was perceptive of DJ to recognise the stijl background in the web design. Gerrit Rietveld one of the foremost architects of the Stijl movement was one of the webmaster's lecturers when he was studying architecture.

MichaelBaron
17-12-2009, 08:48 AM
As the webmaster of the CV web site has received a considerable amount of insulting sh-t on the quality of the work he has done for the last 2 years [from both sides of the barbed wire fence],

So what is your personal opinion about the quality of work involved in development and management of the CV website? Would you regard quality of the website is good? You can reply by saying ''he is nice enough to get it done'' or ''we should admire his efforts as he did his best'' But lets leave GH persona out of it and assess quality of the work produced only.

Is it a good website or not? Is it professional or not?

P.S. If Chess CV needs help with SEO i can get it done...they should just let me know. Even without paying Google and others for priority listings, it is possible to improve site searchability considerably by selecting Google submission tags (Keywords) carefully.

Kevin Bonham
18-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Without wishing to divert, and happy to have a thread split, a note to all would-be web masters - do not pay to be registered with search engines. It is an unnecessary furfie and waste of money on what is now a bygone requisite.

All discussion of this post and following from that has been moved here (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=11199).

Basil
18-12-2009, 02:49 PM
All discussion of this post and following from that has been moved here (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=11199).
At time of posting, the followed link wasn't working.

Kevin Bonham
18-12-2009, 02:53 PM
At time of posting, the followed link wasn't working.

Currently is for me. Anyone else having trouble? It is in the 1337 lounge anyways.

Desmond
18-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Kevin Bonham
18-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Fixed now. I accidentally deleted it but this didn't stop me from seeing it because I am an admin.

ChessGuru
25-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Latest blog post (http://cordover.com.au/2009/12/commentary-on-cv-progress/) with my commentary on CV progress.

ChessGuru
27-12-2009, 10:57 PM
My 2 cents (http://cordover.com.au/2009/12/the-minutes/) on the minutes of the CV meeting.

Basil
28-12-2009, 08:41 AM
David, will there come a point point when you'll stop blatantly driving traffic from this site (which has a fantastic global audience) to your site?

Either people who post here will be interested in your site sufficiently to check it regularly or they'll decide they've heard enough (and seen ENOUGH of key point BOLDING and issues ON REPEAT.

I should imagine you'd be very welcome to post in full here.

Brian_Jones
28-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Let me be the first to say Howard Duggan is a pretentious, economically clueless, artful-manipulator-of-the-unsaid-sentiment, twit. He is also an utter utter utter utter utter waste of space who achieves very little at great expense. Please remember when history judges him so, that you heard it first on chesschat. :eek:

Desmond
28-12-2009, 10:24 AM
I figure if it were worth reading he'd taking the 3 seconds required to copy and paste it.

Spiny Norman
28-12-2009, 10:31 AM
A few pithy comments:

"You may be right in saying what you're saying ... but you are not right. Its okay to upset the applecart once in a while, but you can tell who really cares about outcomes by watching who sticks around to actually help pick up the apples.

Bill Gletsos
28-12-2009, 11:14 AM
My 2 cents (http://cordover.com.au/2009/12/the-minutes/) on the minutes of the CV meeting.Those 2 cents must be in Zimbabwean dollars.

Basil
28-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Let me be the first to say Howard Duggan is a pretentious, economically clueless, artful-manipulator-of-the-unsaid-sentiment, twit. He is also an utter utter utter utter utter waste of space who achieves very little at great expense. Please remember when history judges him so, that you heard it first on chesschat. :eek:
Well done. You now have demonstrated ability in both SEO UN-KNOWLEDGE and LAMOS!