PDA

View Full Version : Opening System

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
12-12-2009, 07:22 PM
ok, so ive read half a dozen books on strategy in the last year and now i move onto openings........... ive kinda got it sussed but if anybody sees anything ive missed give me a hoy.

black against e4

i want to play c5. i want to reply to both 1e4 and 1nf3 with c5 and try to play sicilians.

if white wants to play closed sicilians i have rogozenkos "anti sicilian" book although like most players, from the impression i get, the black advantage exists mainly in the open sicilian.

for the open sicilian against white i have "easy guide to the dragon" - golubev, "easy guide to the classical sicilian" yrjola and "mastering the najdorf" arizmendi (this book is geared towards higher ranked players but ill give it bash anyway).

black against d4

im looking to play either k.i.d. or the grunfeld since they seem to be the most attacking black replies. and if it goods enough for garry k ......

books i have available to me include "starting out : the kings indian" gallagher and "starting out : the grunfeld" aagaard.

i was also looking at the q.g.d. from what i have read this appears to be more of an equalising opening than the k.i.d. or the grunfeld. the matthew sadler title "queens gambit declined" gets good reviews from silman and amazon readers so that will be considered.

black against 1nf3

i will want to primarily play c5. i notice that white can play 2 c4 and get the english symmetrical (and possibly the reti or q.g.d.). i also notice that white playing 2 g3 has been played in a very small amount of games and it leads to the reti, english, catalan, and kings indian ??

it seems that 1nf3 can be quite tricky as it transposes into many opening.

1nf3 nf6 appears to be a transpositional nightmare. i think ill leave that till after ive progressed past the training wheels stage.

black against 1c4

probably a reply with ....e5. i have read only one book on the english. that book was the karpov one. i really dont know if i prefer a first move reply of ....c5 or ....e5 which is not surprising since i seldom get into an english opening playing black and never open c4. suitably i have forgotten most of what i have read.

can anybody recommend any other books on the english as there seems to be very few on the market.

as for the white side of the equation.

i want to open with e4 only..

currently ive got.........

mastering the chess openings vol 1 - watson
attack with 1e4 - emms
how to build your chess opening repertoire (although this is a general book not spefically geared towards 1 e4)
and
chess openings for white explained - dzindzi and alburt.

as white, im yet to decide which lines i prefer, let alone which openings to use but those books should give me a prompting towards the right direction.

questions

have i overlooked anything ? is there anything else id need to cover 1d4 as black besides the k.i.d. and the grunfeld. i notice 1 d4 nf6 2 bg5 is possible (and annoying).

what are peoples experiences as black after both 1nf3 c5 2 c4 and 1nf3 c5 2 g3 ? are the opening possibilities ive mentioned correct after 1 n3 c5 2 g3 (im not quite sure about the kings indian) ?

are the books ive mentioned good? are there any others you prefer ?

how has your day been ?

cheers ................

Saragossa
13-12-2009, 07:25 AM
When you listed the sicilian books you had, you listed books on three different types of sicilian which although will be thorough won't build you a familiarity with one which definitely gives a boost to one's opening understanding. John Watson's book is really good. My other recommendation is to really, really plan your repertoire around familiar positions. Choose similar defenses etc. Keep up the good work.

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
13-12-2009, 11:08 AM
When you listed the sicilian books you had, you listed books on three different types of sicilian which although will be thorough won't build you a familiarity with one which definitely gives a boost to one's opening understanding. John Watson's book is really good. My other recommendation is to really, really plan your repertoire around familiar positions. Choose similar defenses etc. Keep up the good work.

im thinking that since i want to play 1e4 as white that if black replies ...e5 ill probably play some sort of closed sicilian. 2 c3 perhaps or maybe the grand prix attack.

only until ive learnt the entire sicilian family of openings will i venture into open sicilian games as white. the closed sicilians look a lot more manageable than giving black the opportunity to chose his own pet system for the sicilian. something along those lines anyway.

so those titles have been chosen entirely at random and i have no clue if they will suit me on the black end of the sicilian. theyre mainly just part of a slow process of assimilating different sicilian systems for when i play the open sicilian with white. obviously after a while ill work out what i prefer for black after e4c5 but i currently have no preference.

the only theme in the choice of the defences ive mentioned is that theyre viewed (as far as i can understand) as either tactical and/or attacking.

what did you mean by "choose similar defences" ?

also,what do you mean by plan your repertoire around familiar positions ?

cheers.............

Saragossa
13-12-2009, 06:45 PM
The Kings Indian oftenand the Benoni (some of them) often result in positions with similar structures (landmarks). So if you were to take up the Kings indian I would consider taking up the benoni as a side system as it will help you understand the KID positions you get. While you are learning the sicilian you will see that there are typical moves and typical plans within it, the more of these you learn the greater your understanding of that opening grows. Nunn's "Secrets of practical chess" has a good chapter on openings with loads of useful knowledge and I would thoroughly endorse purchasing a copy.

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
13-12-2009, 09:03 PM
thanks for that.

by the way what do you normally play against 1 nf3. it seems to be a move slightly more common than 1 c4 and all i can think of is trying to get into sicilians 1...c5 again to minimise the information needed for an opening knowledge on the black end.

are there any other openings that are a good introductory method to combat 1nf3?

i notice i can steer .........

1 nf3 nf6 2 g3 with 2 ...g6 into grunfeld/k.i.d. waters
1 nf3 nf6 2 d4 with 2 ....g6 into k.i.d/grunfeld/neo grunfeld (and also torre and kings indian attack)
1 nf3 nf6 2 c4 with again ....g6 into k.i.d./grunfeld/neo grunfeld (and the english)

this way i can streamline the openings knowledge needed to a minimum while i start out.

tpl.................

Saragossa
13-12-2009, 10:00 PM
You have the right idea IMO. I just play the structures I know ie KID. Usually 1.Nf3 is played to avoid theory so if you just get a position which you are comfortable with then it is just a game of chess where you can rely on your skills other than memorisation.

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
13-12-2009, 10:29 PM
no worries, thanks.