PDA

View Full Version : Australia's Four Grandmasters

BearDrinkingBeer
15-11-2009, 03:08 PM
I recently wrote a short article on Australia's Four Grandmasters (http://australianchessnews.blogspot.com/2009/11/australias-four-grandmasters.html) on my blog.

Please check it out and tell me what you think!

Metro
15-11-2009, 04:52 PM
I recently wrote a short article on Australia's Four Grandmasters (http://australianchessnews.blogspot.com/2009/11/australias-four-grandmasters.html) on my blog.

Please check it out and tell me what you think!
Good!How about an in-depth profile on each GM,in reverse order ie.DJ is first.

antichrist
21-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Was Cecil Purdy a grandmaster?

BearDrinkingBeer
28-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Why in reverse order?

Metro
28-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Why in reverse order?
Along the same lines as a prize-giving presentation ie.build to a peak.Of course it is entirely up to you.

Thunderspirit
02-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Was Cecil Purdy a grandmaster?

Purdy was an IM in OTB. In CC he was a GM.

Davidflude
02-12-2009, 06:13 PM
There are five living Australian Grandmasters. Who will be the first poster to name the fifth one.

Here is a big clue. I am currently playing a Grandmaster from Northern Europe.

ER
02-12-2009, 06:25 PM
There are five living Australian Grandmasters. Who will be the first poster to name the fifth one.

Are you talking about Corr or OTB players here David? And has his name been mentioned very recently in another thread for an entirely different reason?

Bill Gletsos
02-12-2009, 06:26 PM
There are five living Australian Grandmasters. Who will be the first poster to name the fifth one.Chris Fenwick

Bill Gletsos
02-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Are you talking about Corr or OTB players here David?Both.

ER
02-12-2009, 06:30 PM
ok I didn't think of Chris straight away but after I got Stephen out of the way and after a couple of phone calls I would eventually get there!

Capablanca-Fan
02-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Walter Browne? He was born in Australia of an Australian mother, won an Aussie Champs and played for Australia in a zonal.

Bill Gletsos
02-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Walter Browne?He is American.

Thunderspirit
02-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Chris Fenwick

Who is Chris Fenwick?

ER
02-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Who is Chris Fenwick?

Hi Lee :)

Chris Fenwick has scored a Correspondence GM Norm in the David Parr Memorial being conducted by the Correspondence Chess League of Australia (CCLA).

Thunderspirit
02-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Hi Lee :)

Okay thanks for that, but he doesn't really count in this discussion as the thread was about OTB GM's. If anything the 5th would be Australia's retired WGM from Adelaide.

I agree with Bill, Walter Browne should never count as an Australian. He is an American.

ER
02-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Okay thanks for that, but he doesn't really count in this discussion as the thread was about OTB GM's. If anything the 5th would be Australia's retired WGM from Adelaide.
I agree with Bill, Walter Browne should never count as an Australian. He is an American.

The original question was:

I asked for clarification:

Are you talking about Corr or OTB players here David? And has his name been mentioned very recently in another thread for an entirely different reason?
Which came from Bill

Both.
followed by Bill's (in my opinion correct) answer:

Chris Fenwick
Now, my question is:
Was Bill's answer the correct or the wrong one?
Before you answer think of your statement:

but he doesn't really count in this discussion as the thread was about OTB GM's.

Capablanca-Fan
02-12-2009, 09:54 PM
WGMs are not grandmasters; the norm for that title is lower than that for IM.

No dispute there. But he's the only one I can think of who could remotely pass as an Australian OTB GM.

Bill Gletsos
02-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Now, my question is:
Was Bill's answer the correct or the wrong one?Look at who asked the question - CC player David Flude.

ER
03-12-2009, 01:25 AM
Look at who asked the question - CC player David Flude.

yes, but Fludey is tricky and we haven't heard the last of him yet! :)
BTW my first thought was that it might have been Steven Kerr (whom I remember as a junior in Peter Parr's various establishments circa late '70s -early '80s) then I was going to call Marcus Raine who is an expert in this kind of questions!
He would know!
You are too fast though, I had no chance!

BearDrinkingBeer
03-12-2009, 09:09 PM
By in-depth, do you mean tonnes of statistical information?

Metro
04-12-2009, 05:42 PM
By in-depth, do you mean tonnes of statistical information?
No that would create a lack of interest in the case of most readers.You could come up with some interesting questions to ask them in an interview(eg.non-chess questions) or just tackle it in a different way.

ER
05-12-2009, 12:46 AM
Hi BDB, when are you coming back to Chess?

BearDrinkingBeer
06-12-2009, 04:24 PM
No that would create a lack of interest in the case of most readers.You could come up with some interesting questions to ask them in an interview(eg.non-chess questions) or just tackle it in a different way.
Hmm... I'll see if this is possible.

Hi BDB, when are you coming back to Chess?
I answered your question today at the ASTC (http://chess.geniusprophecy.com/astc/). :D

Metro
06-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Hmm... I'll see if this is possible.

It's your blog.

ER
06-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Dear BDB, it was nice to see you and your mum after such a long time! Congratulations for the great performance as well as in providing such a great website for the tournament.
Now time to have some rest and prepare for your final VCE year! Your education and professional career come first, and I am sure you 'll de an excellent job with that as you did with Chess!
Cheers and good luck!

Santa
02-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Purdy was an IM in OTB. In CC he was a GM.

I think "World Champion" trumps "Grandmaster."