PDA

View Full Version : Mcc Allegro Championship

Grant Szuveges
13-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Melbourne Chess Club
ALLEGRO CHAMPIONSHIP

Saturday 21st and Sunday 22nd November 2009

Venue: Melbourne Chess Club - 66 Leicester St Fitzroy 3065

Format: 13 Round Swiss. Rounds 1-7 on Saturday from 2pm - 6pm and Rounds 8-13 on Sunday from 2pm - 6pm.

Arbiter: Grant Szuveges

Entry fees: $20 for MCC members and $30 for non - members

Prizes: The following prizes are based on a field of 30 entries. Larger/more prizes may be offered if the field is larger.
1st $200 and title (MCC Allegro Champion)
2nd $100
3rd $50
4th $30
5th $20
Rating Groups A, B and C $30, $20 and $10 in each.

Sponsors: The Gypsy Bar will sponsor the event and The Vegie Bar has also donated meal vouchers to be included as special prizes.

Options: Some of you may wish to play on only one of the days. This is fine as you can take an approved withdrawal if you only want to play Saturday or you can start on 1/7 (2 half point byes) if you only want to play Sunday. However you will have to pay the full entry fee in either case.

Questions: For any enquiries, please email Grant Szuveges grantszuveges@gmail.com or call on 0401-925-075. I am happy to collect early entries.

ER
13-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Entry No 1 from me thanks! :)

MichaelBaron
20-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Do not miss this interesting and exiting event, everyone!

Mischa
20-11-2009, 09:50 PM
James would like to play
He has lost (or had stolen )his wallet...can I defer paying enry fee until Sunday?

Grant Szuveges
20-11-2009, 10:24 PM
James would like to play
He has lost (or had stolen )his wallet...can I defer paying enry fee until Sunday?

No problem, pay Sunday

MichaelBaron
20-11-2009, 11:37 PM
I was under the impression that Vegie Bar was not only donating meal vouchers but also sponsoring the first prize

Grant Szuveges
21-11-2009, 12:28 AM
I was under the impression that Vegie Bar was not only donating meal vouchers but also sponsoring the first prize

We have vouchers from the Vegie Bar (to use at our descretion - and we decided that this event was the perfect time as many allegro players like eating there). They havnt given us money - though the vouchers add up to a generous amount. However the Gypsy Bar will still be donating $40 to the tournament - as it does every week for the allegro. We can offer $200 first prize if we get 30 players due to the larger entry fee for this special championship event.

MichaelBaron
21-11-2009, 08:59 AM
4 hours to go!

mikesguns
21-11-2009, 11:42 AM
4 hours to go!

You mean 4 hours and a minute :)
Now around 2-2:30 hours to go
Cant wait
I think this is my first MCC Allegro

that Caesar guy
21-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Found the wallet!
I'm playing for sure.

JM

Grant Szuveges
21-11-2009, 06:19 PM
The top 3 seeds are sharing the lead on 6/7 after the first days play in the MCC Allegro Championship. James Morris has played the hardest field so far and is thus currently in the box seat. (he has played 1. Addamo, 2. Kolak, 3. Dragicevic, 4. Baron, 5. Wallis, 6. Urban and 7. Matheson). After beating Baron in round 4, he lost to Wallis who took the outright lead with 5/5 only to lose to Baron the very next round. In round 7 today, Morris survived a big scare against Laurence Matheson, Baron defeated Urban and Wallis defeated Chris Kolak... Snapping at their heals on 5 points, are Domagoi Dragicevic (who is still yet to play Baron) and Bosko Mijatovic who started with 0/2 but has recovered with 5 wins in a row! Some of the more interesting results so far have been Frank Lekkas' win against Laurence Matheson after Laurence blundered, and Rodolfo D'Onofrio has beaten a number of higher rated players including his round one win against Mijatovic to get to 4/6 before losing to Dragicevic. The run home should be exciting with the following 3 pairings virtually guarenteed for tommorows first round:

Mijatovic (5) - (6) Morris
Baron (6) - (5) Dragicevic
Wallis (6) - Krunic (4)

We are accepting new entries tomorrow if any of you would like to play. You can start tomorrow on 1/7 but you will have to pay the full entry fee. Here are the current standings:

6 James MORRIS (IM)
6 Michael BARON (FM)
6 Chris WALLIS
5 Domagoi DRAGICEVIC
5 Bosko MIJATOVIC
4 Laurence MATHESON
4 Sylvester URBAN
4 Chris KOLAK
4 Milutin KRUNIC
4 Frank LEKKAS
4 Deniz TUNCER
4 Rodolfo D'ONOFRIO
4 Khosrou GHAFOURI
3.5 Michael ADDAMO
3.5 Octavio MARTINEZ
3 Tony TOSEVSKI
3 Ari DALE
3 Elliot RENZIES
3 Michael SKOLNIK
2 Jack PUCCINI
2 Adam HAYMAN
2 Finley DALE
2 Sohith SINGAMSETTI
1.5 Sreemanth GURRAM
1.5 Kevin HAYMAN

See you all at 2pm tomorrow for round 8!

Lekko
21-11-2009, 09:54 PM
4 hours to go!
Someone was excited about this tournament! :D

ER
21-11-2009, 10:25 PM

4 hours to go!

someone was even more so!

You mean 4 hours and a minute
Now around 2-2:30 hours to go
Cant wait
I think this is my first MCC Allegro

Someone else had prayed hard!!! :P

Found the wallet!
I'm playing for sure.
JM

but this one

Entry No 1 from me thanks!

takes the http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Holidays_and_Party/cake-076.gif

bobby1972
21-11-2009, 10:28 PM
but why only 25 ,i cant believe 25 only

ER
21-11-2009, 11:09 PM
Well, Ascaro and Rafael (maybe Caren too), David and Archer and Fitzroy, would have been over 30! I was also expecting Guy, Jean, David (Hacche), Malcolm, Pano, Jimmy Papadinis, maybe Roger if not Richard as well, Richard Voon, thats almost 40 and I think I am forgettting a few here!

bobby1972
22-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Well, Ascaro and Rafael (maybe Caren too), David and Archer and Fitzroy, would have been over 30! I was also expecting Guy, Jean, David (Hacche), Malcolm, Pano, Jimmy Papadinis, maybe Roger if not Richard as well, Richard Voon, thats almost 40 and I think I am forgettting a few here!

dreamer wake up,25 is 25 and not 40 .and if you are going to dream why not 400 why "ALMOST 40" seem like a dream with a low rating.the thing is a lot is being done now at the club and so that cant be blamed .it just tells you the state of chess

ER
22-11-2009, 10:59 AM
you might say I am a dreamer, but I am not the only one! :P after all i was there! were you dreaming while I was there? :P

bobby1972
22-11-2009, 05:40 PM
you might say I am a dreamer, but I am not the only one! :P after all i was there! were you dreaming while I was there? :P
i was at an engagement party.speaking of dreams he he he:)

Grant Szuveges
22-11-2009, 05:55 PM
FM Michael Baron is the first MCC Allegro Champion!

Michael won the tournament with 11.5/13 in a marathon effort after losing round 4 to IM James Morris, only to recover, winning his next 8 games in a row to take out the title with a round to spare. He drew the final round in a complicated ending against MCC Junior Ari Dale. Michael did however survive a big scare against Chris Kolak in round 10...

The big turning point in the tournament came in round 8 (the first Sunday round) when James Morris lost on forfeit to Bosko Mijatovic after the trains were cancelled! Then only Baron and Wallis shared the lead, but Wallis fell the very next round, losing to Laurence Matheson and then Sylvester Urban in round 10. James fought on however and survived losing his queen against Frank Lekkas in the final round to still finish 2nd.

Chris Wallis and Laurence Matheson finished =3rd and Sylvester Urban 5th.

Chris Kolak won the under 1900 prize, Ari Dale the under 1600 and Rodolfo D'Onofrio the under 1350.

11.5/13 Michael BARON (FM)
10.5 James MORRIS (IM)
10 Chris WALLIS
10 Laurence MATHESON
9 Sylvester URBAN
8 Chris KOLAK
7 Ari DALE
7 Octavio MARTINEZ
6.5 Milutin KRUNIC
6.5 Tony TOSEVSKI
6.5 Deniz TUNCER
6 Domagoi DRAGICEVIC
6 Bosko MIJATOVIC
6 Frank LEKKAS
6 Michael ADDAMO
6 Elliot RENZIES
6 Jack PUCCINI
6 Rodopfo D'ONOFRIO
5 Adam HAYMEN
5 Michael SKOLNIK
5 Finley DALE
4 Khosrou GHAFOURI
3.5 Tristan RAYSON - HILL
3.5 Elizabeth WARREN
3 Kevin HAYMEN
2 Sohith SINGAMSETTI
1.5 Sreemanth GURRAM

bobby1972
22-11-2009, 06:09 PM
chris under 1900??

ER
22-11-2009, 06:57 PM
i was at an engagement party.speaking of dreams he he he:)

lol congrats to them Ascaro, :clap: :clap: hey were the pairings there done by computer? :P :hmm:

bobby1972
22-11-2009, 07:29 PM
i think they met on the net.i tell yoou taso there is no craftmanship anymore,computers ,net, crazy world

ER
22-11-2009, 07:36 PM
That's why in spite of IT advances, we insist in the old tested methods of hand made, human directed methods of doing it at the MCC! ;)

Grant Szuveges
22-11-2009, 08:01 PM
chris under 1900??

Yes, fortunately for Chris, his MCC Allegro rating is 1899!!! Admittedly, most players won a prize of some sort though. The rating groups only had 6 players in each and we had 3 prizes on offer in each - many of which were shared...

MichaelBaron
22-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Just a small correction. James did not really lose his queen against Frank he sacrificed it...and the resulting position was quite unclear. Personally, I would prefer to be black there (queen down though).

Grant Szuveges
22-11-2009, 08:14 PM
That's why in spite of IT advances, we insist in the old tested methods of hand made, human directed methods of doing it at the MCC! ;)

Yes, as JAK says, I did all of the pairings (yes, all 13 rounds) manually (and acurately). It really is not that hard - and it is an art in some ways, which people should learn...

The only time it became a bit harder was in round 13 when working out the pairings for the players in the middle of the field - but having said that, it only took perhaps 6 or 7 minutes as opposed to my usual 3 minutes for a field that size...

One thing I like about doing pairings manually is that when a player asks about why a certain pairing is how it is, I can show them directly via the pairing cards. It builds good relations between the arbiter and the players. The players also seem to like watching the pairings being done.

I encourage players to question pairings if they feel that they are odd, because I have seen some ridiculous pairings done by computers before (eg at a recent tournament, the bottom player on 0 points was not paired with the only player on 1.5 - and no, they hadnt played each other. Instead the player on 0 was against someone on a higher score.....). If you question manual pairings, the arbiter should be able to explain them to the players. A computer cant do this - especially if it has a bug in it...

One of my favourite moments came today when I read out the pairings: "anon - Dragicevic" Anonomous replied "but I already beat Dragicevic last round!", so I had a look at the cards and swiftely replied "No, you beat Wallis last round".... The player did not actually know the name of the player he had played....

If anyone out there wants to learn the art of manual pairings, I will more than happily show them at MCC.

Grant Szuveges
22-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Just a small correction. James did not really lose his queen against Frank he sacrificed it...and the resulting position was quite unclear. Personally, I would prefer to be black there (queen down though).

Yes, I got that wrong. Frank showed me the game later... Apologies James...

that Caesar guy
22-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Yes, I got that wrong. Frank showed me the game later... Apologies James...
Yeah, thank you :P
It was actually really interesting! I got 2 pieces and a pawn for the queen, but I had complete dark square control. I also had a strong queenside pawn complex, which cost him a piece for 2 pawns. Even then, the position was wholly spastic, but Frank only had a minute left to my 4 minutes, and this told in the end.
Wish I had a copy of the game...

JM

ER
22-11-2009, 08:43 PM
James do you recommend the way I played against the Scandinavian in our game? I mean should I try it in tournament games as well?

that Caesar guy
22-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Definately, especially against the 2...Nf6 line. It's safe as houses, and avoids all the tricky stuff. I struggled to get anything from the position :D

JM

ER
22-11-2009, 09:10 PM
thanks son! I 'll follow your advice! :)

ER
25-11-2009, 12:36 AM
Yes, as JAK says, I did all of the pairings (yes, all 13 rounds) manually (and acurately). It really is not that hard - and it is an art in some ways, which people should learn...

(...)

If anyone out there wants to learn the art of manual pairings, I will more than happily show them at MCC.

Wow, it all sounds great, now can I have the computer next time plz?

Garvinator
25-11-2009, 12:47 AM
Big call, saying you did them accurately. Can you please specify which set of pairings rules you used to do the pairings? Care to put up all thirteen rounds?

Lekko
27-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Yeah, thank you :P
It was actually really interesting! I got 2 pieces and a pawn for the queen, but I had complete dark square control. I also had a strong queenside pawn complex, which cost him a piece for 2 pawns. Even then, the position was wholly spastic, but Frank only had a minute left to my 4 minutes, and this told in the end.
Wish I had a copy of the game...

JM
I remember the beginning of the game if you want me to make a pgn of it :)

MichaelBaron
28-11-2009, 08:48 AM
4 hours to go! Looking forward to yet another friendly and enjoyable event. See you there, everyone. Even Shirty is invited :D

Metro
28-11-2009, 09:01 AM
4 hours to go! Looking forward to yet another friendly and enjoyable event. See you there, everyone. Even Shirty is invited :D
Now there's goodwill:D