PDA

View Full Version : Doeberl Cup 2010

Charles
25-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Hi all,

We will be going live with entries on 1 November. We have a couple of new ideas again this year which focus on fun at the tournament and continuing with the theme of the Doeberl being a tournament for all the family. Sure to raise some comment again.

Having achieved three norms in the last two years we will continue to focus on that as an outcome of the premier. Additionally our fighting fund took the 30 move draw issue off the table (so to speak) last year so we will continue with that.

Our first newsletter will be out next week. For those that wish a copy you can subscribe at the link on the front page of the website www.doeberlcup.com.au.

mikesguns
25-10-2009, 04:44 PM
I clicked on the subsribe link and it says
We were unable to send a subscription email to the mailing list administrators. Please contact naz@o2c.com.au.

Charles
25-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Thanks for your post. It is odd as I tested it at 4:30 and we then received three subscriptions but I am now getting the same error. I will have our IT people look at it. In the interim, just send an email with your name and email address to info@doeberlcup.com.au and we will add you to the list.

Charles
25-10-2009, 08:17 PM
And now the subscription button is working again - go figure - got to love IT :P Will check out in more detail tomorrow.

Garrett
26-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Hi Charles

Is the cut-off rule for the Premier going to be the same as 2009 ?

cheers
Garrett.

Charles
26-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Hi Charles

Is the cut-off rule for the Premier going to be the same as 2009 ?

cheers
Garrett.

Garrett,

Yes, we were happy with how it worked last year so the cutoff will be maintained where it is.

michaelrichards
03-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Hi it's Vaness, I am on Rob's account (my account was hacked)

I would really like to enter in the doeberl premier, but do not offically have my WFM title yet (which I got at the Gold Coast Zonal), I need this to enter as I can not under the other requirements, is it still possible for me to enter?

Who is in charge of processing these titles, if so when would I get it, has it been processed through the acf yet... or are we waiting on FIDE? Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks

michaelrichards
03-11-2009, 10:20 PM
well I know its the federation who has not yet processed this yet, as me (Reid), Guo and Morris have not yet received theirs either according to the fide site but Sue Maroroa is listed for her WIM title:

http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=4301498

So I guess the NZL federation have process their titles!?

Kevin Bonham
03-11-2009, 10:48 PM

Sent you an email about this on 19 Oct - send me a new password and I can get your old account going again. Or if you prefer I can make up a new password and email it to you. Or feel free to start a new account. (Posting through another account like this is also fine, but not necessary and can be confusing.)

michaelrichards
03-11-2009, 11:17 PM
Yeah its ok I don't really want my account back, will get a new one if i want maybe. I don't really here post that much anyway.

The Bennett
04-11-2009, 12:16 AM
Vaness, you could always try to get your FIDE above 1900 instead of waiting on the title, there's no rush....just remember that the tourney is in April :) and that you'll probably have your title before then anyway.

Cheers,
MB

Basil
04-11-2009, 12:39 AM
Yeah its ok I don't really want my account back, will get a new one if i want maybe. I don't really here post that much anyway.
Kev, I think that's a "thanks for the trouble and taking the time to follow-up, and apologies for missing the mail and then asking about it all over again, but I'll pass all the same" coded in young-speak gratitude ;)

Charles
04-11-2009, 08:35 AM

I would really like to enter in the doeberl premier, but do not offically have my WFM title yet (which I got at the Gold Coast Zonal), I need this to enter as I can not under the other requirements, is it still possible for me to enter?

Who is in charge of processing these titles, if so when would I get it, has it been processed through the acf yet... or are we waiting on FIDE? Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks

Vaness,

We are happy to provisionally accept and display an entry for you in the Premier, I will list your title as TBC. This will hold a place for you in the 80 players in the Premier until your title is confirmed. If you just enter through the website in the normal way when you are ready we will put up your entry.

michaelrichards
05-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Thank you Charles, and thanks Kevin. I only use chesschat once or twice a year which is why I wasn't too devastated when my account was hacked, sounds like a real larrakin posting comments about the weather for me lol.

BTW, if anyone has any information about when the titles might arrive, please feel free to divulge, I've contacted several people to no avail.

Charles
13-11-2009, 08:10 AM
Hi all,

Well two weeks into our opening we have two GM's and an IM confirmed for the Premier with 14 entrants total so far. Brett Tindall was the first entry received.

These entries have included our first family entry - the O'Roukes. Families are now be able to enter with third and subsequent entries at half price based on the lowest entry fee. We see this as a way of continuing to make the Doeberl an event for all the family.

A couple of small points - to increase the success of newsletter distribution we have moved to Mail Chimp - an automated program which allows you to subscribe direct through the front page of the Doeberl Website. It also keeps a list of previous newsletters (hyperlink which says previous campaigns). For those who receive the newsletter - 344 now - when you receive it you may find the pictures are crossed out. If you right click and choose - add sender to safe - these pictures will be displayed each time you receive a newsletter.

You can also unsubscribe directly from the bottom of the newsletter at any stage.

The next newsletter will be out in early December.

black
24-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Is anyone interested in sharing accommodation? I'm considering organising that and entry very soon.

Garrett
30-11-2009, 06:36 AM
Hi everyone

Could anyone have a wild guess as to how long it takes to get from the Airport to the venue in a taxi ?

We're arriving at 11:30am in Canberra and I just saw there is a 12pm cut-off for registration even though round one does not start until 1pm.

cheers
Garrett.

Igor_Goldenberg
30-11-2009, 06:53 AM
Hi everyone

Could anyone have a wild guess as to how long it takes to get from the Airport to the venue in a taxi ?

We're arriving at 11:30am in Canberra and I just saw there is a 12pm cut-off for registration even though round one does not start until 1pm.

cheers
Garrett.
15-20 minutes depending on traffic. Allow time for disembarking and catching a taxi. Can't speak for arbiters/organisers but most likely they won't object if you let them know you'll be there by 1pm and sip a registration.

Garrett
30-11-2009, 08:07 AM
Thanks Igor !

Basil
30-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Hi everyone

Learning to drive, saving for the car and sitting for the taxi exam are the longest parts. From then on it's pretty quick.

ER
30-11-2009, 12:54 PM

It's about $40.00 far, not when you have Rad Chmiel around, he is genius in dropping that down to $10!!!! :clap: Longer than 15 minutes, I 'd say about 20-25 minutes! :)

Garrett
30-11-2009, 01:03 PM
thanks guys, if the plane is on time we should be okay.

cheers
Garrett.

Charles
02-12-2009, 07:51 PM
thanks guys, if the plane is on time we should be okay.

cheers
Garrett.

Garrett,

Thanks for your query. We will put up the draw the evening before Round One to allow for preperation. The draw only includes players who have paid their entry fee. We guarantee that if you and your opponent are there at 1pm you will play each other. Any players whose opponent does not appear will be repaired as best possible. Our experience has been this occurs infrequently in the Premier.

A taxi will take no more than 20 minutes at that time of day.

ER
02-12-2009, 10:34 PM
9.All players are to attend the prize-giving ceremony. Players eligible for a prize who do not attend the presentation will incur a 20% handling fee.
That's a ridiculous, stupid and greedy rule, especially made to rip off players who have won whatever prize and can't afford to miss a flight back to their State. Get rid of it, none likes it! I don't anyway!
Glad to see the abolition of the Signor category which gave the opportunity to some to enter the minor or major with a nice discount!
Also make sure we don't have that blatant bias in favour of Canberra juniors who have the stupid as well as unsportsmanlike habit of making their move and punching the clock in such a way that they drop half the pieces off and the other half on the board, then adjusting on their opponent time! Tell the arbiter??? Oh yeah, I did! His response was to continue play and don't make a fuss about it!
Having said all this, it's a great tournament and unless I am overseas I will come and play or visit. I suggest to all fellow players to make the pilgrimage!
What's the forfeit time thingy anyway? (Pardon me if you have published it and I missed it)! I mean having all those GMs there I presume you 'll follow FIDE's new regulations?

Garvinator
02-12-2009, 10:58 PM
What's the forfeit time thingy anyway? (Pardon me if you have published it and I missed it)! I mean having all those GMs there I presume you 'll follow FIDE's new regulations?
30 mins from the start of play as it is a 2010 GP event.

ER
03-12-2009, 01:28 AM
30 mins from the start of play as it is a 2010 GP event.
Thanks Garvin!

Charles
17-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Pleased to announce that it looks like we will be agreeing terms with a 2630+ player in the near future to play in the Premier. It looks like we may have over 10GM's this year which will make for a good premier.

Desmond
17-12-2009, 09:09 AM
Pleased to announce that it looks like we will be agreeing terms with a 2630+ player in the near future to play in the Premier. It looks like we may have over 10GM's this year which will make for a good premier.
Nice work :clap:

Charles
19-12-2009, 05:59 AM
Hi all,

Well yesterday we came to agreement with GM Mchedishvili 2636 from Georgia. We are also in negotations with another 2630+GM for the final spot we have available for GM's. We believe we may has as many as 12 GM's this year! And we have at least four Indian IM's attending again this year.

Good hunting to all those Australians looking for norms or just a really good strong competition.

Adamski
19-12-2009, 08:58 AM
I know how much work is involved in getting top GMs to play down under, so well done to the organisers! :clap: :clap: :clap:

JGB
19-12-2009, 10:24 AM
I know how much work is involved in getting top GMs to play down under, so well done to the organisers! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes indeed! Epic work.
I am looking forward to playing in the Major and watching the competition battle out the Premier event all just 10 minutes drive from my new place in Canberra (very fortunate!).

Charles
21-12-2009, 02:53 PM
I was wrong... it looks like 13 GM's potentially....

Charles
22-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Hi all,

Next newsletter is out this week along with the details of the 2010 Shirt Design and order forms. Note once again we will only accept pre-orders for these - none will be avaialble for sale on the day.

For those that havent subscribed to the newsletter, you can subscribe on the front page at the bottom right.

If you want to see all the pictures when you receive the newsletter, just right click and select add to safe senders list. Details to unsubscribe are at the bottom of the newsletter.

Charles
23-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Hi all,

The 2010 shirt design is available for viewing and ordering at: http://www.doeberlcup.com.au/promotionalshirts.html.

Note like last year we will only be supplying shirts on a prepaid basis.

1.e4
25-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Hello, this is my first post on the Forum.

Do you have any recommendations for accommodation for this tournament? I'm looking for a hotel to stay at for the tournament.

Charles
25-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Hello, this is my first post on the Forum.

Do you have any recommendations for accommodation for this tournament? I'm looking for a hotel to stay at for the tournament.

Hi and thanks for your query. There are two within walking distance and they are listed on the website with rates http://www.doeberlcup.com.au/accommodation.shtml.

If you are looking for something a bit cheaper there is a youth hostel in Civic and other accommodation options there. It is a 12 minute bus ride direct from civic to Woden interchange (100m from the venue) and public transport details can be found at http://www.doeberlcup.com.au/localtravel.shtml.

SHump
26-12-2009, 07:56 AM
For 2009, my wife and I stayed at a motel in Civic, opposite the youth hostel. Civic is at least centrally located and has some nighttime dining options. Maybe we will stay there again and maybe there is a chance for car pooling, or a bus buddy.

Charles
30-12-2009, 04:39 PM
In what I think may be a first for Australian chess we have the potential opportunity to have consequtive Under 12 world champions playing in the Doeberl Premier.

Indian FM Das who was the under 12 champion at Vietnam last year has just confirmed he wishes to enter. If Bobby plays again this year in the Premier, we will be able to create a unique scenario!

black
31-12-2009, 01:12 AM
Which non-unique scenarios have we had?

Looking forward to this one.

mikesguns
01-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Charles I entered the major yesterday, but my name isnt coming up in the entries. Did my entry go through?

Charles
01-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Charles I entered the major yesterday, but my name isnt coming up in the entries. Did my entry go through?

Hi,

Thanks for your email. I put it up this morning. We receive the entries electronically and then vett them prior to entry into the database. This allows us to make sure we get it right. At this time of year though we can bea little slow to get entries up due to XMAS and new year festivities and being spread all over the country.

Look forward to seeing you at Easter.

mikesguns
01-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your email. I put it up this morning. We receive the entries electronically and then vett them prior to entry into the database. This allows us to make sure we get it right. At this time of year though we can bea little slow to get entries up due to XMAS and new year festivities and being spread all over the country.

Look forward to seeing you at Easter.
Okay thanks
See you there

Charles
23-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Hi all,

The Premier is now 1/3rd full with 30 entries. We have a total of 50 entries for the tournament with over two months to go.

Thanks,

Charles

Charles
31-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Hi all,

We are just confirming that an IM from Slovenia (or another IM from India) is going to play in the tournament. When he does, we will have 20 overseas players (of which 10 are appropriately titled). That means that all players can achieve norms in the Premier without actually having to individually achieve the overseas and titled requirements in the list of opponents they play. We have 32 of 90 positions in the Premier filled with two months to go.

Charles
02-02-2010, 08:39 PM
With the confirmed entry of IM Stefan Macak (Slovakia), we now have 20 international players of which 10 are appropriately titled. Lets hope they all make it so we can get some more norm opportunities going. I think going into last years final round we had 6 Australians who had opportunities to gain a norm.

The challenge is set for Australian players!

Charles
09-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Hi all,

The 2010 shirt design is available for viewing and ordering at: http://www.doeberlcup.com.au/promotionalshirts.html.

Note like last year we will only be supplying shirts on a prepaid basis.

Note that the cutoff date for ordering shirts is the 28th of February so we can have them printed for the Doeberl.

Charles
14-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Hi all,

A quick update on the usual GM roundabout that happens to the tournaments, GM Arutinian is out and GM Panchanathan is now in. He is an indian GM living in North America.

Charles
15-02-2010, 01:23 PM
With the entry of Junta Ikeda we now have the Premier half full. Please note that over that last couple of years this tournament has filled with about 3 weeks to a month to go until the tournament. This year due to the large number of overseas players (16 GM's and IM's), we have extended the participant numbers to 90.

We currently have 11 GM, 11 IM, 1 WIM, 4 FM and 2 WFM registered.

Given our goal of providing Australian Chess players a tournament to achieve norms we are happy. :D

Charles
24-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Hi all,

TShirt or polo top orders have to be placed prior to this Sunday the 28th of February in time for us to print for the Cup. Orders can be placed on the web - with or without the back slogan - your choice.

We have 87 entries with 10 GM and 11 IM in the Premier.

Charles
28-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Hi all,

A couple of quick reminders.

Players who currently have a rating that makes them eligible for a tournament can pay for entry to that tournament today and have their entry protected from any rating drop which may make them ineligible in tomorrows list. Full details at http://www.doeberlcup.com.au/rules.shtml - Changes in Rating following Registration and Payment

Secondly we have extended the timeframe for Shirt orders until the 3rd of March. Note we will not be selling shirts at the event.

Charles
01-03-2010, 06:29 AM
Congratulations to Glenn Ingham as our 100th registered player for the Doeberl Cup for 2010

Charles
02-03-2010, 07:24 PM
T Shirt or Polo shirt orders close tomorrow.

We now have a Nelson of entries.

Charles
10-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Good news for us. Yuan is playing in the Doeberl. It is nice to have three Australian GM's playing with the fourth commentating. 138 Entries so far - especially pleased with the Major which is looking very strong with many players from all over Australia. I think 28 slots left in the Premier.

Charles
10-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Hi all,

There is the possibility we will now have an Indian Television crew coming for the Doeberl and SIO. That would be good!

Skulte
10-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Hey,

It looks like so much effort is being put into running the Doeberl, keep up the amazing work. I love traveling from Sydney for it, and always have a great time.

Just wanted to say... Thanks!!!

black
10-03-2010, 11:42 PM
Indeed. Looking forward to it.

Garrett
11-03-2010, 06:47 AM
Indeed. Looking forward to it.

me too, I've never been to one. Haven't done any chess since late January so need to get my chess hat back on pretty quickly tho....ha ha ha

Trent Parker
11-03-2010, 12:56 PM
me too, I've never been to one. Haven't done any chess since late January so need to get my chess hat back on pretty quickly tho....ha ha ha

Me three! This will be my 5th! Will be looking forward to catching up with my mate Iconoclast (from the other side)

The Bennett
11-03-2010, 03:16 PM
C'mon Trent play in the major, otherwise I won't be able to ninja some of those acf and fide points :P :P But I bet you'll still want that minor win :) So beat Willis Lo for me will ya :D
Cheers,

MB

Charles
11-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Hey,

It looks like so much effort is being put into running the Doeberl, keep up the amazing work. I love traveling from Sydney for it, and always have a great time.

Just wanted to say... Thanks!!!

You are welcome. We are glad you enjoy and all we ask from Australian players is to play!!!!

Charles
14-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Hi all,

9 of the 10 GM's have now confirmed with flight details. 18 slots left in the Premier and then it will be full. We may still take 20 entries after that but it will be on a discretionary basis to strengthen the tournament. Good entries in the Major and the Minor with well over 30 in each of these.

Charles
16-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Hi all,

11 slots left in the Premier. The Minor is looking healthy with 42 players as well and the major is nice and strong.

Look forward to seeing all those playing in a couple of weeks.

Charles
19-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Hi all,

We have a slight technical hitch on the website with it showing that the premier tournament is full. We still have 9 slots left and we are looking to correct this coding error.

Charles
20-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Hi all,

To those that have registered but have not paid yet I will be sending a reminder email out on Monday. If you could make payment that would be appreciated.

A reminder on our policy (for tournaments other than Under 1200) that only those who have registered and paid will be included in the firrst round draw. People that turn up to play who either havent registered or paid will be manually paired or given a bye in Round One after the round has started.

We aim to get the pairings done and published the evening before the respective tournaments begin. Our guarantee is that if both you and your opponent arrive you will play that match. Players whose opponents do not arrive will be manually repaired if required.

The benefit of this is two fold. Players are not required to sign in on arrival and we can begin the tournament on time.

Kevin Bonham
20-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Moderation Notice

The extended discussion of incomplete listings of the Doeberl 2005 winners on the website and possibly the trophy, and who should rectify this, has been moved to the original Doeberl 2005 thread in Completed Tournaments.

Charles
21-03-2010, 07:35 AM
Moderation Notice

The extended discussion of incomplete listings of the Doeberl 2005 winners on the website and possibly the trophy, and who should rectify this, has been moved to the original Doeberl 2005 thread in Completed Tournaments.

Thank you Kevin. GM Malaniuk and IM Lahiri have confirmed their arrival times! GM Ghane has said he cannot make it which is unfortunate. GM Barua is arriving early for breakfast our house on the 30th!

mikesguns
21-03-2010, 04:33 PM
I know its a bit last minute but I need someone to stay with in Canberra
Thanks

Charles
21-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Hi,

Could you let me know your name, how old you are, sex and rating and I will see what local families may be able to help.

mikesguns
22-03-2010, 06:30 AM
Hi,

Could you let me know your name, how old you are, sex and rating and I will see what local families may be able to help.
I am looking for people that I kinda know
But thanks anyway

peter_parr
22-03-2010, 01:42 PM
A report on the forthcoming Doeberl Cup 2010 appeared in today’s Sydney Morning Herald.

SMH (http://www.chessdiscountsales.com/news/2010.htm)

Charles
22-03-2010, 02:08 PM
A report on the forthcoming Doeberl Cup 2010 appeared in today’s Sydney Morning Herald.

Peter,

Thanks for the support! We may have a 2613 GM as a last minute entry but we cant confirm until his visa is certain.

Charles
22-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Hi all,

Potentially we have GM Li Chao (2613) coming to play depending on Visa. GM Bojkov, Kunte and IM Macak have all just confirmed their itineraries.

The Bennett
22-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Will the Doelberl premier or maybe the SIO top boards be broadcast thorugh the ICC/FICS/Playchess.com? This idea may attract future Grandmasters and may increase Australia's international chess appeal.

Charles
22-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Hi all,

We are getting down to the pointy end of preperation. If you are playing can you please register so we can make sure the equipment is available.

Charles
23-03-2010, 06:12 AM
199 entries, who will be the 200th?

Adamski
23-03-2010, 06:28 AM
I do know that Harbord Diggers CC player David Webster is hoping to play.

smurfo
23-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Will the Doelberl premier or maybe the SIO top boards be broadcast thorugh the ICC/FICS/Playchess.com? This idea may attract future Grandmasters and may increase Australia's international chess appeal.

I think getting the top boards live on playchess would do a lot for publicising Australian chess, as well as raising awareness of the event to other GMs for future tournaments. Not sure on any costs involved in this, though.

Skulte
23-03-2010, 09:47 AM
We have an aussie admin on ICC, maybe he can use his friendly relationship with the owners... :)

Though on the flip side, Im sure there is a fair amount of IT costs involved with the networking, setup, relay, admin, etc... but if anything might be interesting to find out the sorts of costs involved for those running future tournaments that are playing around with this idea.

Goodluck!

Edit: Assuming anyone cares about us aussie scrubs :)

smurfo
23-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Edit: Assuming anyone cares about us aussie scrubs :)

One good thing about Australia's location is that Aussie games would be broadcast at a time when most European tournaments won't be relaying games. This means that people who wander into Playchess (or ICC, but Playchess is really taking over for watching live tournaments) are more likely to click on Doeberl and SIO games.

Naturally there'd be some costs, but would there really be that many more than relaying the games live on the official web site? Maybe.

Bill Gletsos
23-03-2010, 01:11 PM
I think getting the top boards live on playchess would do a lot for publicising Australian chess, as well as raising awareness of the event to other GMs for future tournaments. Not sure on any costs involved in this, though.The 2010 Australian Championships were relayed on Playchess.

Desmond
23-03-2010, 01:28 PM
The 2010 Australian Championships were relayed on Playchess.
...at the cost of not relaying on the website.

Bill Gletsos
23-03-2010, 02:35 PM
...at the cost of not relaying on the website.My understanding is that the games were manually relayed to the Playchess servers whilst they were relayed via the TOMA software automatically via the DGT boards to the website. If the TOMA software or a DGT board had a problem then the board needed to be updated manually to the website as well.

Desmond
23-03-2010, 02:43 PM
My understanding is that the games were manually relayed to the Playchess servers whilst they were relayed via the TOMA software automatically via the DGT boards to the website. If the TOMA software or a DGT board had a problem then the board needed to be updated manually to the website as well.I think it was the other way around.

Charles
23-03-2010, 06:07 PM
199 entries, who will be the 200th?

The answer is Stephen Mugford President of the ACTCA!

peter_parr
24-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Congratulations on reaching 200 entries 8 days before the event starts.

I have recently spoken to Ernest Dorn who has organised the Sydney Easter Cup for the last twelve years.

We have reached agreement that this event will not be held this year.

Ernest and I were on the organizing committee of the Sydney leg of the Australian tour of World Champion Max Euwe who also visited the Doeberl Cup.

Regards
Peter Parr
President NSWCA

Kevin Bonham
24-03-2010, 11:33 AM
I have recently spoken to Ernest Dorn who has organised the Sydney Easter Cup for the last twelve years.

We have reached agreement that this event will not be held this year.

:eek: antichrist will be beside himself with grief.

William AS
24-03-2010, 12:22 PM
:eek: antichrist will be beside himself with grief.
Just had a very very scary thought---- He would not change venues would he?? :eek: :rolleyes: Hope Charles is of the view that any publicity is good publicity. ;) :)

SHump
24-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Hope Charles is of the view that any publicity is good publicity. ;) :)I hope Charles is not superstitious - running an event that has a T-shirt saying "blundered your bishop..." and having the same surname ... IS this a cooincidence - I think not! :)

Charles
24-03-2010, 09:42 PM
IM Sharma is confirmed!

Charles
25-03-2010, 07:11 AM
I think getting the top boards live on playchess would do a lot for publicising Australian chess, as well as raising awareness of the event to other GMs for future tournaments. Not sure on any costs involved in this, though.

We have sorted out the relay on FICS for this year (we had it on there in 2008 and 2009). Will followup on the others to see what we can get.

Adamski
25-03-2010, 01:29 PM
I think it was the other way around.Boris is right. The manual work by arbiter Nick Chernih (primarily) was to get the moves updated on the official web-site. The moves were relayed automatically to playchess.com.

I too hope we can see live chess from the Doeberl on either or both of the Doeberl web site and playchess.com.

lost
25-03-2010, 01:32 PM
We have sorted out the relay on FICS for this year (we had it on there in 2008 and 2009). Will followup on the others to see what we can get.

Heys guys,

Just needing to know can anyone help me with accommodation for Doeberl, billeted that is.

Thanking you

lost

Charles
25-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Boris is right. The manual work by arbiter Nick Chernih (primarily) was to get the moves updated on the official web-site. The moves were relayed automatically to playchess.com.

I too hope we can see live chess from the Doeberl on either or both of the Doeberl web site and playchess.com.

FICS have confirmed they can transmit based on our broadcast through a test we have just done. We are working with playchess at the moment to see what we can do. They also want to do publicity.

Charles
25-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Heys guys,

Just needing to know can anyone help me with accommodation for Doeberl, billeted that is.

Thanking you

lost

Hi lost,

Can you let me know who you are, age, sex etc and I will see what we can do. otherwise the following webpage has a variety of backpacker accommodation mostly in civic (12 minute bus ride express to woden). The best places I can find in Civic (900 bus runs direct from Civic to Woden) is as follows – it is a list of backpackers/Youth Hostel etc look at the Canberra city (Civic) based ones such as

http://www.about-australia.com/travel-guides/australian-capital-territory/canberra-surrounds/accommodation/backpacker/

MIRKO
25-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Charles i just have to commend you on the great work you are doing to promote the game we all LOVE we need more people like you,I couldn't make it to Canberra this year I'm going to Toowoomba though,i would love to make it next year ...all the best .

Charles
26-03-2010, 06:23 AM
Charles i just have to commend you on the great work you are doing to promote the game we all LOVE we need more people like you,I couldn't make it to Canberra this year I'm going to Toowoomba though,i would love to make it next year ...all the best .

Mirko,

Thanks for the kind words! Enjoy Toowoomba it is a beautiful city and I have just come back from work in Brisbane where I visited my family on their farm outside Gatton (on the way to Toowoomba).

Charles
26-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Hi all,

Well the Premier is slowly sorting itself out. We have 77 players with an average FIDE rating of 2141. We have 8 FM, 10 GM, 11 IM, 1 WIM and 2 WFM and 21 players from other nations.

Charles
27-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Hi all,

We have sorted out relay from FICS and playchess.com.

Adamski
27-03-2010, 11:44 PM
Hi all,

We have sorted out relay from FICS and playchess.com.Great news! Well done, Charles and the organising team!:clap:

Charles
28-03-2010, 06:40 AM
Yes, lets hope the new hosting solution can stand the strain!

Charles
28-03-2010, 06:46 AM
For those statistically minded....

We are currently getting about 250 hits per day on the webpage. Since this date last year We have had 17,337 visits for a total of 50,061 pageviews. People stay on average on the site 3 1/2 minutes. There have been 5,863 unique visitors. The top ten countries we have had visits from are Australia, Inidan, US, NZ, Netherlands, Germany, Malaysia, UK, Czech Republic and Singapore.

lost
28-03-2010, 04:22 PM
For those statistically minded....

We are currently getting about 250 hits per day on the webpage. Since this date last year We have had 17,337 visits for a total of 50,061 pageviews. People stay on average on the site 3 1/2 minutes. There have been 5,863 unique visitors. The top ten countries we have had visits from are Australia, Inidan, US, NZ, Netherlands, Germany, Malaysia, UK, Czech Republic and Singapore.

That is great news and the organisers should be very pleased with their efforts.

Also if anyone can help me with accommodation, please email me at jchess7@gmail.com asap. I am coming up with IM Leonid Sandler on Wednesday night and heading back after the tournament on the Monday.

Thanking you

lost

peter_parr
29-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Doeberl Cup 2010 – see column in Sydney Morning Herald 29th March 2010

Charles
30-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Hi all,

Run off our feet here but Li Chao got his visa and is apparently inbound. :owned:

Charles
30-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Can anyone who has not yet paid for the Premier, Major and Minor please pay by lunchtime tomorrow please complete payment. The draw for the Premier will be up Wednesday evening.

Nicholas D-C
30-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Will there be a draw for the Major up before the start of the tournament?

Charles
30-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Yep, Major and Minor draw will be up on Thursday evening. Anyone who hasnt paid by Thursday 2pm will not be in the draw but will be manually paired after the start of the first round if they attend on Friday.

Lakshman
31-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Yep, Major and Minor draw will be up on Thursday evening. Anyone who hasnt paid by Thursday 2pm will not be in the draw but will be manually paired after the start of the first round if they attend on Friday.

Hi Charles,
Will the pairing for the Major & Minor posted on CC,Thursday evening or any other forum?

Thanks

Charles
31-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Hi Charles,
Will the pairing for the Major & Minor posted on CC,Thursday evening or any other forum?

Thanks

Thanks for your query. All draws will be up on the website - see results page. Premier up tonight, Major and Minor up tomorrow night.

Charles
31-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Hi all,

Well I am exhausted and the tournament has yet to begin! In a happy state of events, we have all 10 GM's here and 4 overseas IM's - I have seen most of them personally.

245 entries with only about six uncertain is an excellent start. Interestingly the Premier is smaller this year with a good chunk at the top of the major (I counted 30 eligible for the premier playing in a major of 70 entrants).

The minor is healthy with a list just under 70 and 34 in the Under 1200's is proving its popularity. We have had five family entries saving money for the third and subsequent players.

For those interested in how it works below is a timeframe of the last 48 hours to co-ordinate arrivals:
Tue 0550 Charles pickup Barua family (bus) - home for breakfast
Tue 0900 Charles to work (0900-1300)
Tue 1230 Steve pickup Malianuk and Panchanathan (bus) - Maliunk overnight at steves hous, panchanathan at charles house
Tue 1400 Charles drop Barua at overnight accommodation
Tue 1400 Charles pick up engraved trophies
Tue 1400 Charles pickup 2500 scoresheets
Tue 1830 Charles pickup Tuggeranong CC gear
Wed 0830-1700 Steve to work
Wed 1230 Charles drop Malianuk and Panchanathan at hotel
Wed 1245 Shaun pickup Bojkov (bus) and take to hotel
Wed 1345 Charles pickup Chao (airport) and take to hotel
Wed 1430 Emma move Chowdhury, Lahari, Sharma (bus) to hotel
Wed 1430 Baldev move Kunte, Jones (bus) to hotel
Wed 1545 Charles pickup Chowdhury (bus)
Wed 1600 Charles pickup Barua and move to hotel
Wed 1700 Charles update entries
Wed 2015 Steve pickup Macak (airport) and move to hotel

Thanks to all that helped make this happen in the last 24 hours it is a bit of a challenge but worth it when they are all in place and ready for tomorrow.

Oepty
31-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Charles, brilliant work again, thankyou. I wish you all the best for the tournament. Sorry I won't be there this year but it comes a little too close to my Tasmanian trip for the juniors. Will be following with great interest over the weekend.
Scott

Garrett
01-04-2010, 05:11 AM
Hi everyone

Sorry if this has been asked before but is there a mobile contact number we can contact an Arbiter on if we are going to be a few minutes late ?

My flight is scheduled to arrive at 11:30am so should be okay, but just in case...

cheers
Garrett.

Charles
01-04-2010, 05:35 AM
Hi,

My number is 0414 485 132. However we no longer have a formal signin process. You will be listed in the draw and as long as you are at your board by 1pm that is fine. In round one we also provide some lattitude and will provide byes if a player is held up due to transport issues.

Garrett
01-04-2010, 07:59 AM
Thanks Charles.

cheers
Garrett.

Charles
01-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Live games are up on the doeberl website www.doeberlcup.com.au

MichaelBaron
01-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Would be really nice to get round 1 result on the tourney website...

Mischa
01-04-2010, 07:09 PM
yes

The Bennett
01-04-2010, 07:50 PM
At approximately what time will the Major/minor draws be posted?

Watto
01-04-2010, 08:16 PM
for those who missed the shout, round 1 results are up: http://chess-results.com/

Charles
01-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Hi all,

the major and minor draws will be up in 10 minutes.

Whiggi
02-04-2010, 03:35 AM
http://www.doeberlcup.com.au/livegames.shtml
im looking at the game GM Gaiwan Jones vs Moulthan Ly
it says it is a draw by repetition....
am i missing something or did black miss the opportunity to win?
After 29. Qc7
black should have done 29. .... Nh3+

If PxN then Nf3+ followed by Qh2++

if King to H1
....Nf2+
Kg1, Nf3+
pxN, Nh3+
Kh1, QxP++

am i right or have I missed something?
was this game running very low on time?

Desmond
02-04-2010, 06:03 AM
Qh2 is not mate due to the white queen.

Whiggi
02-04-2010, 09:21 AM
pffft! my bad! lol

i guess if P-a7 wasnt there black could offer a sexy sacrifice to an inexperienced player... probably someone at my level! lol
Still i had fun looking at that position attempting to find a win :) just gotta get better at looking ahead in my mind :)

EBT
02-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Is there a plan to do round by round reports, similar to the Aus Champs? Would be good if there is, so we get some idea of what's going on in the bottom boards as well (e.g. how Smerdon's back to back draws to start the tournament came about).

Denis_Jessop
02-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Is there a plan to do round by round reports, similar to the Aus Champs? Would be good if there is, so we get some idea of what's going on in the bottom boards as well (e.g. how Smerdon's back to back draws to start the tournament came about).

You can find brief reports on Shaun Press' blog at

http://chessexpress.blogspot.com/

DJ

BearDrinkingBeer
02-04-2010, 03:09 PM
http://www.doeberlcup.com.au/livegames.shtml
The website isn't working for me. Is there a problem with the web host or is it on my side?

Charles
02-04-2010, 03:11 PM
We are also broadcasting Boards 1 on the Major and the Minor.

Max Illingworth
02-04-2010, 03:13 PM
The website isn't working for me. Is there a problem with the web host or is it on my side?

The current live transmission of the Doeberl Cup on FICS is working. The transmission on the official site has stopped a few times during Round 3.

Edit: The transmission at www.doeberlcup.com.au is working now. It's likely that FICS is receiving the moves from the Doeberl Cup site since FICS's transmission was slowed up at the same time as the official site's transmission.

AzureBlue
02-04-2010, 04:09 PM
The current live transmission of the Doeberl Cup on FICS is working. The transmission on the official site has stopped a few times during Round 3.

Edit: The transmission at www.doeberlcup.com.au is working now. It's likely that FICS is receiving the moves from the Doeberl Cup site since FICS's transmission was slowed up at the same time as the official site's transmission.
Yeah, it's working :) How do you watch live games on FICS? Is there a link?

Oepty
02-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Yeah, it's working :) How do you watch live games on FICS? Is there a link?

If you have a FICS account login then type tell relay listgames
This will give the games being broadcast
The type obs <game number> ie obs 149
Scott

ER
03-04-2010, 08:10 AM
GO LIAM!!! :clap:

Desmond
03-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Fine attacking game by Xie to defeat ZYZ.

Garvinator
03-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Is the website down atm?

Max Illingworth
03-04-2010, 12:16 PM
The website is back up now.

Garvinator
03-04-2010, 12:26 PM
The website is back up now.Is it?

Denis_Jessop
03-04-2010, 12:27 PM
The website is back up now.

It isn't for me. Is the problem too much traffic? It loaded for me a while ago and then stopped functioning while I was still logged on.

DJ

Max Illingworth
03-04-2010, 02:01 PM
It isn't for me. Is the problem too much traffic? It loaded for me a while ago and then stopped functioning while I was still logged on.

DJ

Traffic could be the problem; the same thing occurred to me. The transmission usually started working within 10 minutes of the site becoming dysfunctional.

Viewing the games via. FICS doesn't entirely solve the problem since it seems that FICS is copying the moves from the official site. I find the presentation of the games on one window on the official site more convenient than frequently minimising and maximising windows on FICS, therefore I refresh http://www.doeberlcup.com.au/livegames.shtml once I hear moves being played on FICS.

Amir K.
03-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Is it?

You better take care and refresh reports from your tournament.
What you think why people paid so much money for trip to Toowoomba?
To see you?

Charles
03-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Hi all,

Yes the webserver is failing due to traffic volumes and we cant get technical support. Usually comes up after 10 minutes or so.

BearDrinkingBeer
03-04-2010, 03:19 PM
If you have a FICS account login then type tell relay listgames
This will give the games being broadcast
The type obs <game number> ie obs 149
Scott
Wow, that's really cool. I'm impressed the organisers were able to create this extra relay.

ER
03-04-2010, 10:03 PM
You better take care and refresh reports from your tournament.
What you think why people paid so much money for trip to Toowoomba?
To see you?

Classic!!! :lol: :clap: :clap:

Garvinator
04-04-2010, 09:07 AM
Classic!!! :lol: :clap: :clap:Why is it classic?

Charles
05-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Hi all,

Well I have been informed we have a guaranteed IM norm for tomek. Secondly we have one GM norm and two additional IM norms on offer if the players can win their games.

Garvinator
05-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Hi all,

Well I have been informed we have a guaranteed IM norm for tomek. Secondly we have one GM norm and two additional IM norms on offer if the players can win their games.
Congrats to Tomek. Who are the norm hunters today?

Watto
05-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Hi all,

That's great news. Congratulations to Tomek. :clap:

Charles
05-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Congrats to Tomek. Who are the norm hunters today?

Ly is chasing an IM norm with a win
Xie is chasing a GM norm with a win
Teichman is chasing an IM norm with a win

Carl Gorka
05-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Ly is chasing an IM norm with a win
Xie is chasing a GM norm with a win
Teichman is chasing an IM norm with a win

Wow, congrats to Tomek, and good luck to the others:)

Adamski
05-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Yes, well done Tomek Rej. Did anyone else achieve their norm?

Bereaved
05-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Congratulations to Michael Addamo who has won the Doeberl Minor with 7/7!! Outstanding Effort!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

Charles
05-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Yes, well done Tomek Rej. Did anyone else achieve their norm?

Ly just got his.

Garvinator
05-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Ly just got his.Queenslander!!!!!

Adamski
05-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Congrats to many - Li Chao for winning the Premier, George Xie for GM norm, Tomek Rej for third IM norm, Moulthon Ly for Im norm, Michael Addamo for his Minor picket fence, etc.:clap: :clap: :clap:
George Xie looked worse to me but his GM opponent blundered right after the time control and George won!

Basil
05-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Hello everybody. You've all done very well. Carry on!

Queenslander !!!!!

Denis_Jessop
05-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Cogratulations to all. The norms policy for this event really paid off for the Australians this time. I hope others will be encouraged to put in a bit extra for a FIDE title.

DJ

Oepty
05-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Congrats to many - Li Chao for winning the Premier, George Xie for GM norm, Tomek Rej for third IM norm, Moulthon Ly for Im norm, Michael Addamo for his Minor picket fence, etc.:clap: :clap: :clap:
George Xie looked worse to me but his GM opponent blundered right after the time control and George won!

Technically, and yes I am being very picky, Tomek Rej has 2 IM norms. Seeing one of these norms is a 20 game norm from the 2009 Zonal, he only needs 2 norms, as they cover more than the required 27 games. The rules say you only need 2 norms but in practise it is ussaully 3 norms because the norms need to include 27 games. This cannot be ussaully done without 3 norms.

Reference http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook?id=58&view=article 1.50
Note the rules for norms changed 1st July 2009 and tournaments, such as the zonal, now only count as 13 game norms, not 20 game norms as before then.
Scott

Garrett
05-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Yes congratulations to the winners and the Norm recipients.

I thought the tournament was run very well, well done to the organisers :clap: .

Also once again, Ian's commentary was excellent. Almost made losing quickly against Eugene Schon fun :uhoh: .

On a personal note, I once again flirted with 50% in a big tournament before falling at the final hurdle. The final hurdle was interesting this year. Against Andrew Brown I had a winning tactic but it takes Fritz 11 a full 10 minutes (on a two year old laptop giving three lines) to switch from +0.8 to +5.0.

This is the position, White to move,

I can forgive myself for missing this one. I couldn't see anything concrete with the knight move and was concerned it would be lost behind enemy lines. I moved my queen and went on to lose...

Cheers
Garrett.

ER
05-04-2010, 04:57 PM
LET us all congratulate Samuel Dalton for winning the major after a great performance!
Sam, Box Hill Chess Club and Victoria ARE PROUD of you! :clap: :clap: :clap:

So two for the Daltons already this year, Josh Dalton winning the classic at Norths!

Psst Laurie we have some catching up to do!

Michael Addamo
Juve looks like not doing much, Collingwood WILL be thereabouts, however, you did it and you 've made us all proud! Good on you son!:clap:

Also

Liam Hamilton
Great performance and good result! :clap:Nice comeback, keep up the good work son!!

Charles
05-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Hi all,

Well another year has been run and won. We achieved a number of major milestones that my company set out to do three years ago for Australian Chess. I would like to begin with congratualtions to the winners of the events GM Li Chao, Samuel Dalton, Michael Addamo, and Joshua Walker. Also to Bobby Cheng the Bedi Cup winner for 2010 and Megan Setiabudi the Pooja Cup Winner.

We continue to provide videos for each round at http://www.youtube.com/user/doeberlcup.

We had 250 entrants for the Doeberl. Especially pleasing was the strength of the Major and the Minor with good numbers in the Under 1200's.

The premier allowed Australian players to achieve 1 GM norm and three IM norms. My understanding is that this is pretty outstanding for an Australian based weekend tournament. We had a field of 21 international players and 10 GM's and 11 IM's.

The major continues to provide an opportuntiy for Australian players to work towards a FIDE rating and with 30 players eligible for the Premier in the field it was a tough tournament.

The website hosting remains an issue with traffic continually putting down the site. We worked out an FTP transfer solution to allow Ian to continue operating his commentary but will look again at this next year.

The tournament continues to operate substantially in the red and we will be looking at sponsorship for next year when we finalise the sponsors report.

I would like on a personal note to thank all of the players who attended and made it such a great event. I hope to see many of you back next year.

And finally to Shaun Press, Charles Zworestine and Lee Forace thanks for your time. Also to the score table helpers Shun Ikeda, Mirabelle Guo and Jenny Mason and finally to Jim Flood who helped setup. Without these people the tournament couldnt have been run.

Teatowel
05-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Just a question about the grand prix points. Why is it that WIM Dhar-Barua, Saheli, got 4 points in the premier but did not get grand prix points? is this becuase she ( I guess by the title its a women) is OS. I guess not since as for example, Helen Milligan got points and in the past so have other over seas players.
http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?site=grandprix&p=section&a=results&action=display_results&format=Event&value=1004010001

The Bennett
05-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Against Andrew Brown I had a winning tactic but it takes Fritz 11 a full 10 minutes (on a two year old laptop giving three lines) to switch from +0.8 to +5.0.

Fritz 12 gives it +5.28 after 2 minutes and 18 seconds, so caluclation speed between the two versions is very different it seems....or maybe its my computer to the laptop, we'll never know ;)

Garrett
05-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Fritz 12 gives it +5.28 after 2 minutes and 18 seconds, so caluclation speed between the two versions is very different it seems....or maybe its my computer to the laptop, we'll never know ;)

Thanks Matt

Yes, my laptop must be nearly two years old now and no doubt Fritz 12 is an improvement on Fritz 11 which is why I was wondering if other people's set-ups could find the +5 quicker.

BTW, I think you were playing my friend Hamish in the last round and I was going to introduce myself but you guys agreed a draw before I could do anything ha ha.

Catch up another time.

cheers
Garrett.

The Bennett
05-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Yes that's right I was playing Hamish, or Saemisch as the ACT junior contingent now calls him :D (because he plays saemisch variation in nimzo and i played saemisch variation against him in KID) The game was interesting and I realised that it was very double edged so i offered a draw. I honestly expected a dutch stonewall becuase of his games in aus major but all prep went up in smoke :(

ER
05-04-2010, 10:03 PM
... I realised that it was very double edged so i offered a draw...
:rolleyes: :uhoh: :hmm: chicken!!! :lol:

The Bennett
05-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Well he did have an open g file with a queen on g7 and a soon to be rg8 attacking my king side castled king so I don't think i was completely chicken to offer a draw haha

ER
05-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Well he did have an open g file with a queen on g7 and a soon to be rg8 attacking my king side castled king so I don't think i was completely chicken to offer a draw haha

I was only joking son, you did quite well actually. The fact that you played in the Major when you had strong chances for a prize in the Minor, shows that you are not a chicken at all! Good luck next tournament! :)

Adamski
05-04-2010, 10:29 PM
On a personal note, I once again flirted with 50% in a big tournament before falling at the final hurdle. The final hurdle was interesting this year. Against Andrew Brown I had a winning tactic but it takes Fritz 11 a full 10 minutes (on a two year old laptop giving three lines) to switch from +0.8 to +5.0.

This is the position, White to move,
I can forgive myself for missing this one. I couldn't see anything concrete with the knight move and was concerned it would be lost behind enemy lines. I moved my queen and went on to lose...

Cheers
Garrett.Nd5 looks like a winner!

The Bennett
05-04-2010, 10:36 PM
haha i know you were joking :D, yes I guess I would have had strong chances in the minor but I've decided that instead I would have better chances of winning that $900 from NSW U1600 :P Both Aus major and Doeberl have been very good experiance for me, as they have most certainly help me understand what I'm doing right and wrong.

Cheers,
MB

Adamski
05-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Technically, and yes I am being very picky, Tomek Rej has 2 IM norms. Seeing one of these norms is a 20 game norm from the 2009 Zonal, he only needs 2 norms, as they cover more than the required 27 games. The rules say you only need 2 norms but in practise it is ussaully 3 norms because the norms need to include 27 games. This cannot be ussaully done without 3 norms.

Reference http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook?id=58&view=article 1.50
Note the rules for norms changed 1st July 2009 and tournaments, such as the zonal, now only count as 13 game norms, not 20 game norms as before then.
Scott

Ta, Scott. I see FM Erik Teichmann also ended up with an IM norm, so congrats to him too. How many norms has he got?

Oepty
05-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Ta, Scott. I see FM Erik Teichmann also ended up with an IM norm, so congrats to him too. How many norms has he got?

No idea sorry.
Scott

Garrett
06-04-2010, 07:59 AM

My recollection frpm what Ian was saying in the lectures is 4 now, but apparently 3 of them were in the 80's and the British (or English ?) Chess Federation didn't register them.

Tony Dowden
06-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Hi all,

Well another year has been run and won. We achieved a number of major milestones that my company set out to do three years ago for Australian Chess. I would like to begin with congratualtions to the winners of the events GM Li Chao, Samuel Dalton, Michael Addamo, and Joshua Walker. Also to Bobby Cheng the Bedi Cup winner for 2010 and Megan Setiabudi the Pooja Cup Winner.

We continue to provide videos for each round at http://www.youtube.com/user/doeberlcup.

We had 250 entrants for the Doeberl. Especially pleasing was the strength of the Major and the Minor with good numbers in the Under 1200's.

The premier allowed Australian players to achieve 1 GM norm and three IM norms. My understanding is that this is pretty outstanding for an Australian based weekend tournament. We had a field of 21 international players and 10 GM's and 11 IM's.

The major continues to provide an opportuntiy for Australian players to work towards a FIDE rating and with 30 players eligible for the Premier in the field it was a tough tournament.

The website hosting remains an issue with traffic continually putting down the site. We worked out an FTP transfer solution to allow Ian to continue operating his commentary but will look again at this next year.

The tournament continues to operate substantially in the red and we will be looking at sponsorship for next year when we finalise the sponsors report.

I would like on a personal note to thank all of the players who attended and made it such a great event. I hope to see many of you back next year.

And finally to Shaun Press, Charles Zworestine and Lee Forace thanks for your time. Also to the score table helpers Shun Ikeda, Mirabelle Guo and Jenny Mason and finally to Jim Flood who helped setup. Without these people the tournament couldnt have been run.

Congratulations to you and your team on a wonderful event Charles. A pity I couldn't make it this year due to work pressure - but I'm already keenly looking forward to the 49th edition next year and the 50th edition in 2012!

BearDrinkingBeer
06-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Congratulations to you and your team on a wonderful event Charles. A pity I couldn't make it this year due to work pressure - but I'm already keenly looking forward to the 49th edition next year and the 50th edition in 2012!
Agreed!

Watto
06-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Yes, would have loved to have been there but couldn’t this year. It seems like you couldn’t ask for a more successful tournament, Charles. :clap:

Congratulations to all the winners and the four who received norms, 3 of them final norms... :)

Kevin Bonham
06-04-2010, 03:50 PM

This is indeed an excellent outcome - of course generating norms should never be the main purpose of an event but assembling such an excellent field makes it so much more likely to occur.

Congrats to those who secured norms, all very well deserved.

Interesting to see Samuel Dalton dominate the Major; this continues a trend I have noticed of players who played in Aus Junior 2010 often recording great performances at subsequent tournaments!

Once again I was away all Easter and couldn't follow the games as they were played but Ian Rogers' youtube videos are an excellent way to catch up on the action.

Charles
06-04-2010, 04:17 PM
This is indeed an excellent outcome - of course generating norms should never be the main purpose of an event but assembling such an excellent field makes it so much more likely to occur.

Congrats to those who secured norms, all very well deserved.

Interesting to see Samuel Dalton dominate the Major; this continues a trend I have noticed of players who played in Aus Junior 2010 often recording great performances at subsequent tournaments!

Once again I was away all Easter and couldn't follow the games as they were played but Ian Rogers' youtube videos are an excellent way to catch up on the action.

Kevin,

Thanks for your comments. Just curious why the generation of norms shouldnt be a primary goal of a tournament. While we cant make them happen, enhancing the opportunitiy for norms is exactly our driver for the Premier.

Three years ago we set out to build a premier that would have the requisite number of overseas players, GM's and IM's so Australian players could gain norms on a more regular basis and reduce trips to Europe to achieve their goals. We actually dont have a goal beyond that for the Premier.

thoughts?

MichaelBaron
06-04-2010, 04:46 PM
If getting the norms is the main objective - there is a simpler solution. run many small round robin tournaments instead rather than a big one..all we need is 3 foreigners (could be Australian players with OS passports such as Teichmann, Sarfati etc) 3 IMs (we got many IMs now) and 4-5 players willing to pay $200 entry fee to cover expensives. We run 12 such tournaments a year - after 1 year, every 2300+ player (or even some erratic but talented 2200+ players such as Domagoi) will have 3 IM norms each :).

On another issues, I was very happy to see so many Victorians perform above their fide ratings: Morris, Cheng, Teichmann, Shoen, Mathieson...:clap:

Charles
06-04-2010, 04:56 PM
If getting the norms is the main objective - there is a simpler solution. run many small round robin tournaments instead rather than a big one..all we need is 3 foreigners (could be Australian players with OS passports such as Teichmann, Sarfati etc) 3 IMs (we got many IMs now) and 4-5 players willing to pay $200 entry fee to cover expensives. We run 12 such tournaments a year - after 1 year, every 2300+ player (or even some erratic but talented 2200+ players such as Domagoi) will have 3 IM norms each :).

On another issues, I was very happy to see so many Victorians perform above their fide ratings: Morris, Cheng, Teichmann, Shoen, Mathieson...:clap:

Thanks for the thoughts we will add it to our mix for the washup.

Charles

Kevin Bonham
06-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Kevin,

Thanks for your comments. Just curious why the generation of norms shouldnt be a primary goal of a tournament.

I said it shouldn't be the (not "a") primary goal of a tournament for the simple reason that if it is, it is so easy to establish contrived norm tournaments created specifically for such a purpose (Michael's comment points in this direction), and I think such events contribute very little to chess.

I have no problem with norm generation being one of a few to many frontline goals of a major event, but I'd think the Doeberl as it is makes at least as big a contribution by:

* providing opportunities for Australian players to improve by competing on home soil against a top standard field.
* providing a high quality international event on home soil to encourage general interest in following chess.

As it happens what you are doing works towards those goals just as well.

Vlad
06-04-2010, 06:17 PM
It was indeed a very good tournament. The organizers did a spectacular job! Thank you very much for your efforts.

Just thought to make a comment on how, in my view, it can be even further improved (from a parent’s perspective). Is it possible to shift the times of the first and second rounds 1 hour earlier? Say instead of 1 pm and 7 pm make it 12 pm and 6 pm. Our experience this year was as follows. The second game Anton finished around 11.15 pm and around 11.45 pm we got home. After having a dinner Anton went to bed around 12.15 am. A few other parents were also concerned about this issue. I understand that there could be some reasons why the tournament starts so late. However, in my opinion shifting times a bit earlier will make it more kids friendly.

Thanks again for organizing such a spectacular event and see you next year!

lost
06-04-2010, 06:23 PM
It was indeed a very good tournament. The organizers did a spectacular job! Thank you very much for your efforts.

Just thought to make a comment on how, in my view, it can be even further improved (from a parent’s perspective). Is it possible to shift the times of the first and second rounds 1 hour earlier? Say instead of 1 pm and 7 pm make it 12 pm and 6 pm. Our experience this year was as follows. The second game Anton finished around 11.15 pm and around 11.45 pm we got home. After having a dinner Anton went to bed around 12.15 am. A few other parents were also concerned about this issue. I understand that there could be some reasons why the tournament starts so late. However, in my opinion shifting times a bit earlier will make it more kids friendly.

Thanks again for organizing such a spectacular event and see you next year!

It was a great tournament however one concern was the lighting. It wasn't that wasn't enough, but too much of it. Other than that it was a good tournament overall.

Now for you Vlad, I noticed you were going over my game with my final round opponent. Where do you think I made the mistakes in the game?

lost

Igor_Goldenberg
06-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Doeberl Cup is undoubtedly the strongest tournament of the year.
Many thanks to organisers for putting together a spectacular event.

Mischa
06-04-2010, 10:08 PM
well well well done
organizers.......amazing
victorians............outstanding

MichaelBaron
07-04-2010, 12:42 AM
I said it shouldn't be the (not "a") primary goal of a tournament for the simple reason that if it is, it is so easy to establish contrived norm tournaments created specifically for such a purpose (Michael's comment points in this direction), and I think such events contribute very little to chess.

I have no problem with norm generation being one of a few to many frontline goals of a major event, but I'd think the Doeberl as it is makes at least as big a contribution by:

* providing opportunities for Australian players to improve by competing on home soil against a top standard field.
* providing a high quality international event on home soil to encourage general interest in following chess.

As it happens what you are doing works towards those goals just as well.
Yes!!!

brett
07-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Congratulations to George, Tomek, Molton and Eric for making norms in the event.

It is so fantastic to see so many Australian players make their final norms!

A big thanks needs to go to Charles Bishop and his team for running such a great event! Without his enthusiasm and support these norm opportunities would not be possible.

Keep up the great work!

Brett

Jesper Norgaard
07-04-2010, 02:14 PM
In the George Xie - Bobby Cheng game apparently George brought a sizzling home preparation, because I have two games in my db with 13...Nxc3? and both give a positive result for black (a draw and a win), while after 14.Qh5!! black is busted according to Rybka (well that is if +0.60 for white sounds "busted" to you). Here is the most amusing game. I think Shaun Press named it the "kitchen sink" game. Apology if it is somewhere to be found on ChessChat, haven't found it.

1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 e6 3.Nf3 a6 4.g3 b5 5.d4 cxd4 6.Nxd4 Bb7 7.Bg2 Nf6 8.0-0 b4 9.Na4 Bxe4 10.Bxe4 Nxe4 11.Re1 d5 12.c4 bxc3 13.Nxc3 Nxc3 14.Qh5 Ne4 15.Nxe6 Qb6 16.Nc7+ Qxc7 17.Qxd5 Qc6 18.Rxe4+ Be7 19.Rxe7+ Kxe7 20.Bg5+ f6 21.Re1+ Kf8 22.Qd8+ Kf7 23.Re7+ Kg6 24.Qxh8 Ra7 25.Qxg7+ Kf5 26.g4+ Kxg4 27.Bxf6+ 1-0

What a way to score a GM norm!
Congratulations!

MrRookHammer
07-04-2010, 05:16 PM
an exciting event. No doubt a few happy players with norm acheived.

Sadly the offical site currently only has a pgn with 5 rounds and the 20 first boards. Rest of the games not interesting ??!

Charles
07-04-2010, 10:18 PM
an exciting event. No doubt a few happy players with norm acheived.

Sadly the offical site currently only has a pgn with 5 rounds and the 20 first boards. Rest of the games not interesting ??!

No they will be interesting. Paul Dunn is entering the games and will be providing the pgn files as he completes them. Ron Scott wanted to play this year and we couldnt find someone willing to work 12 hours a day to enter the nearly 1000 games created over the weekend. Ron did this last year and it didnt look alot of fun towards the end.

The Bennett
07-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Ron should be commended for his efforts for putting games into PGN's for these types of big tourneys, a notable effort was with the Australian Championships. You can imagine putting a whole championship, minor and major in every day for 11 days and not to mention the classic which was 7 rounds, it really would be very hard work.

Well done in the premier Ron,

Matt Bennett

Adamski
08-04-2010, 12:10 AM
Ron should be commended for his efforts for putting games into PGN's for these types of big tourneys, a notable effort was with the Australian Championships. You can imagine putting a whole championship, minor and major in every day for 11 days and not to mention the classic which was 7 rounds, it really would be very hard work.

Well done in the premier Ron,

Matt BennettAbsolutely! Even though Ron is absolutely the fastest enterer of games I have ever seen, it is still very many hours work for any tournament - so much more so for 4 of them occurring simultaneously. It does not surprise me at all that Charles could not find a second Ron - and RS did pretty well over the board in Canberra. Well done on all counts, Ron!

Basil
08-04-2010, 09:27 AM
:clap:

Ron The Mon!

dqgtsai2aKY

NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK
09-04-2010, 12:31 AM
GM Dejan Bojkov has written a report posted on the Chessbase website on the tournament:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6242

Adamski
09-04-2010, 08:14 AM
GM Dejan Bojkov has written a report posted on the Chessbase website on the tournament:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6242
GM Dejan Bojkov's story is very good and includes video excerpts of GM Ian Rogers' commentary.
I found out during email exchanges with GM Dejan (Bulgaria) before the Australian Championshios that he is a good friend of another Dejan well known in Aus, GM Dejan Antic (Serbia).
And thumbs up too to Charles B, Shaun P and the team for putting on a fantastic tournament with an excellent number of overseas visitors, and achieving 3 norms for home players.:clap:

Denis_Jessop
09-04-2010, 03:44 PM
GM Dejan Bojkov's story is very good and includes video excerpts of GM Ian Rogers' commentary.
I found out during email exchanges with GM Dejan (Bulgaria) before the Australian Championshios that he is a good friend of another Dejan well known in Aus, GM Dejan Antic (Serbia).
And thumbs up too to Charles B, Shaun P and the team for putting on a fantastic tournament with an excellent number of overseas visitors, and achieving 3 norms for home players.:clap:

Wasn't that 4 norms - Xie, Ly, Rej and Teichmann? But I see that Leonid Sandler says that that is Teichmann's 4th IM norm so perhaps it doesn't count.

DJ

Carl Gorka
09-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Wasn't that 4 norms - Xie, Ly, Rej and Teichmann? But I see that Leonid Sandler says that that is Teichmann's 4th IM norm so perhaps it doesn't count.

DJ

It did say 3 norms for home players, and seeing Teichmann is registered as English, then there were only 3 Aussie norms. But yes, there were 4 norms:)

The Bennett
10-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Where can I find all the games from each division? They aren't in the results page

Charles
12-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Final video is up.

peter_parr
12-04-2010, 03:10 PM
I heard this morning Monday 12 April that 91-year-old former NSW champion Lloyd Fell (the grand old man of Australian chess) who competed in 46 of 48 annual Doeberl Cups is in the orthopaedic ward (bc) of Bankstown hospital with a broken hip.

It would be good if his chess playing friends visited him in hospital.

The final Doeberl Cup report appeared in today’s Sydney Morning Herald.

Adamski
12-04-2010, 03:29 PM
I heard this morning Monday 12 April that 91-year-old former NSW champion Lloyd Fell (the grand old man of Australian chess) who competed in 46 of 48 annual Doeberl Cups is in the orthopaedic ward (bc) of Bankstown hospital with a broken hip.

It would be good if his chess playing friends visited him in hospital.

The final Doeberl Cup report appeared in today’s Sydney Morning Herald.

SMH (http://www.chessdiscountsales.com/news/2010.htm)I am sure that we all wish Lloyd a speedy and full recovery. An extremely respected man in the Australian chess scene and very nice chap.