PDA

View Full Version : Quad cup

D Dragicevic
07-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Just thought I would announce this event which is coming up this Saturday. Quad cup is a competition in which Noble Park, Croydon, Ranges and Melbourne Chess Club participate in. Earlier in the year Croydon Chess Club hosted the event which turned out quite succesful with Melbourne Chess Club having a good day collecting 24.5 points out of possible 30. The competition is played with 5 senior and 5 junior boards. This Saturday the event is being held at Noble Park CHess Club starting at 12 pm, and once again we would all be hoping for a successful turnout in this competition. VIc champs start on the same day so that might prevent some of the players from playing in this competition, but still it should be a great event. After the event, Noble Park CC plans to run a lightning tournament, so we would be hoping most players would be able to stay for the blitz event.

Grant Szuveges
07-10-2009, 11:57 PM
I encourage all players from all clubs involved to support this event, as it is a truly great event - particularly for the juniors involved. Supporting your club by playing as part of a team is a great experience and is often a treasured memory in a players career.

The spirit in which this event is run is one of fun and fair play with the main aims of the event being the promotion of each club involved to the others involved and the increase in membership of all clubs involved.

I was at the first half of the event earlier this year as MCC team captain and I found the event thoroughly enjoyable. Croyden also put on some very nice sausage rolls too! While at the event, I bought a membership for Croyden, Ranges and Noble Park as a way of showing support for the event. Many other players there are also members of more than one of the clubs involved, such as Guy West (MCC and Croyden) and Domagoi also (Noble Park and MCC).

Id like to use this opportunity to publically thank the committees of Croyden, Ranges and Noble Park (Richard Goldsmith, Paul Bearup, my sister Narelle, Domagoi, Guy West, Jean Watson, Scott Humphreys and others) for accepting MCC into this event thus turning the Tri-Cup into the Quad-Cup. Apologies also for not posting this back in May when the first half was played!!!

Unfortunately I will not be able to be there this Saturday, but good luck to all 4 teams involved and congratulations to the organisers of what has become a truly great event.

SHump
08-10-2009, 10:31 AM
I and others from Ranges club are also looking forward to Saturday, and Ranges will have the full complement of 5 adults and 5 juniors present. Having a blitz event after the main course was until now unknown to me however, but hopefully we can also all stay on for this dessert.

Thanks to Domagoi for starting this thread for this previously 'low key' event.

MCC will be hard to catch from this halfway mark, but stranger things could happen. But the point is not so much the result (even when the result can be a point:) ), but the journey.

Davidflude
08-10-2009, 12:15 PM
How did you decide which clubs to include in this event?

One prominent club seems to have been overlooked.

Rincewind
08-10-2009, 12:25 PM

Perhaps they couldn't get the numbers at Elwood...

SHump
08-10-2009, 12:32 PM
It was not so much that any club was overlooked, but you have to understand the history of the event to make sense of where it is now.

Others that were involved last year could correct any details, by my gist of the history is this: The event started last year, as I understand, with it being called the Tri-cup, with a cup being donated by Croydon. The three geographically close and similar (smallish) sized clubs (Noble Park, Ranges, Croydon) considered it a good idea to hold a small get together to build ties and promote membership. The success of the event last year led to its repeat this year.

As to how MCC got involved, it was probably by word of mouth and personal contacts only, and availability of people and suitable dates.

The quad cup may become an academic exercise next year in any event, as the Vic interclub, with the preliminaries run on a regional basis, could be seen as a replacement for the quad cup. But hey, that is just me crystal ball gazing - perhaps the quad cup will be unique enough in its format (5 adults, 5 juniors, 3x30 min games, 2 rounds) will be good enough to carry on.

Malfegor01
08-10-2009, 06:29 PM
It was not so much that any club was overlooked, but you have to understand the history of the event to make sense of where it is now.

Others that were involved last year could correct any details, by my gist of the history is this: The event started last year, as I understand, with it being called the Tri-cup, with a cup being donated by Croydon. The three geographically close and similar (smallish) sized clubs (Noble Park, Ranges, Croydon) considered it a good idea to hold a small get together to build ties and promote membership. The success of the event last year led to its repeat this year.

As to how MCC got involved, it was probably by word of mouth and personal contacts only, and availability of people and suitable dates.

The quad cup may become an academic exercise next year in any event, as the Vic interclub, with the preliminaries run on a regional basis, could be seen as a replacement for the quad cup. But hey, that is just me crystal ball gazing - perhaps the quad cup will be unique enough in its format (5 adults, 5 juniors, 3x30 min games, 2 rounds) will be good enough to carry on.
I think it actually started as Croydon and Ranges who used to play a couple of "home and away" matches each year, then Noble Park joined in and then MCC. There seems to be quite a few players between these clubs that have dual (Tri or Quad ??) memberships but BHCC does not seem to be represented??

MichaelBaron
08-10-2009, 08:26 PM

One prominent club has been running interclub by itself....having competition between its own 7 teams..for years :).
this is just a friendly event anyway, not a playoff for state titles so a number of clubs simply got together. Other clubs, inculuding that prominent club are welcome to join in!

Grant Szuveges
08-10-2009, 11:06 PM
As far as I know, Croyden and Ranges began the event and then Noble Park joined in later. MCCs involvement began this year soon after I became president. I didnt actually know of the existence of the event until it came up in conversation with my sister (president of Noble Park). Upon learning about the event, I asked the committees of Croyden, Ranges and Noble Park if the MCC could be involved and they said yes.

I would be more than happy for other clubs to be involved, but since my club (MCC) is the newest member of the quad, I will leave that option to others to pursue. We (MCC) are just happy to be involved and are equally happy with both the current 4 club format or an expanded version of the event should that become an option down the track.

Good luck to all teams involved on the weekend.

MichaelBaron
09-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Interestingly, this event is attracting more interest this year than Interclub! Good luck to the MCC team! My heart is with you!

that Caesar guy
09-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Hi everybody! (Hi Doctor Nick! :P)
I was just talking to Domagoj on Wednesday night, anout the fact that I have put my name down for MCC, but I'm not sure what is happening, whether Im playing in the juniors or open, I need a little clarification. Thanks,

J.M.

D Dragicevic
09-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Well, the competition was originally between Croydon and Ranges, which I believe was played fairly often. Last year, Noble Park was invited to play as well in a format which I don't think worked very well,so this year we have tried different format which seems to be working so tomorrow at NP will confirm whether the current format is the best one. Certainly, I personally believe that this year this competition was succesful, and that for the future more teams can be put in to make the numbers bigger.

As for tomorrow, it doesn't look like NP will be able to have 5 juniors, that has been a problem for the club in this competition, but it will definetly have 5 senior boards plus 2 or 3 juniors.

mikesguns
09-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Has come BHCC isn't part of this tournament? I'm sure there would be enough players

Garvinator
09-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Has come BHCC isn't part of this tournament? I'm sure there would be enough players
Have you read the thread at all? If so, I think the answer is obvious.

Grant Szuveges
09-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Hi everybody! (Hi Doctor Nick! :P)
I was just talking to Domagoj on Wednesday night, anout the fact that I have put my name down for MCC, but I'm not sure what is happening, whether Im playing in the juniors or open, I need a little clarification. Thanks,

J.M.

James,

You are part of the senior team.

that Caesar guy
10-10-2009, 11:08 AM
James,

You are part of the senior team.
Just letting people know, that Carl Gorka has taken my place, so instead Carl will be part of the senior team.

J.M.

Ian CCC
10-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Here are the results from the first match in May (when it was still called the "Tri-Cup"):

TRI-CUP 2009 - MATCH 1 RESULTS

Date: 24th May 2009

Juniors + Seniors = Total

Round 1

Ranges 0 + 1.5 = 1.5 v Melbourne 5 + 3.5 = 8.5
Croydon 2.5 + 4 = 6.5 v Noble Park 2.5 + 1.5 = 3.5

Round 2

Melbourne 4.5 + 4 = 8.5 v Croydon 0.5 + 1 =1.5
Noble Park 4 + 1 = 5 v Ranges 0 + 4 = 4*
*No game on board 10

Round 3

Croydon 3 + 0 = 3 v Ranges 2 + 5 = 7
Noble Park 1 + 2 = 3 v Melbourne 4 + 3 = 7

Totals

Croydon 11
Melbourne 24
Noble Park 11.5
Ranges 12.5

Garvinator
10-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Not sure if it should be called tri anymore ;) :lol:

SHump
12-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Here are the results from the first match in May (when it was still called the "Tri-Cup"):

I think someone from Noble Park CC, being the host for the second day, could put up the results for that day. Also, as it was supposed to be a "5 adults + 5 junior" per club event, if that person can record a win where there was a missing opponent (forfeit/walkover I mean) it would be appreciated.

I know that will favour those that attended, or disadvantage any club that does not have any juniors or could not get enough support for the event, but hey, each club has gone into the event knowing the format, so there really should be no excuse to complain if they cannot get enough people to attend? I am sure the Ranges juniors were expecting 3 official games, rather than 1 official game and some muck around games, since only 1 other club had any juniors competing.

As to my impressions of last Saturday, it was my first time visit to Noble Park CC, and this was enjoyable, apart from what I realised later was the front door bell ringing in the game room!! However, the day got away to a slow start and so it ran from noon until 5pm. A lot of time was spent working out the names of players and the first round draw. If this could be streamlined, in advance, next time it would make the day more enjoyable for players and parents alike.