PDA

View Full Version : Tasmanian Junior Championship 2009+One day and Blitz

Saragossa
06-10-2009, 06:22 PM
2009 Tasmanian Junior Chess championships

* Includes the Junior Lightning Championships
* and the One Day tournament running concurrently with this event.

DATE 10th & 11th October 2009
VENUE Princes Street Primary School
Randall Street
Sandy Bay
FORMAT Under 18 age division
6 games: 60 minutes per game +
10 seconds per move for each player.

Under 12 age division
(U12, U10 & U8)
9 games: 25 minutes per game +
10 seconds per move for each player.
TIMETABLE Under 18 Under 12
Round Time Round
Time
Saturday 1 10:00am 1 10:00am
(10th Oct) 2 12:30pm 2 11:30pm
3 3:00pm 3 1:00pm
4 2:30pm
5 4:00pm

Sunday
(11th Oct) 4 9:00am 6 10:00am
5 11:30am 7 11:30am
6 2:00pm 8 1:00pm
9 2:30pm
ENTRY FEE $40 per player.
$20 for regional medal winners.

Some $5 discount vouchers have been awarded to players who competed well at other tournaments.
PRIZES

The Winner of each division (U18 & U12) will have their name engraved on the perpetual Trophy.

A trophy will be awarded to the champion and girl champion of each age group.
Medals will be awarded to runner-up and girl runner-up.
ARBITERS Russell Horton and TBA
ENQUIRIES Mellissa Harvey
(03) 62231991
info@chess.org.au
NOTES A BBQ will be provided for all contestants from 5pm on Saturday.

ENTRY FORM
Name: __ __________________________ DOB : _____
Address: ___________________________

Phone: _____________
Email (optional): _______________________

Please tick here if you would like your entry acknowledged by email: ___
Please detach this form and post it with payment to:

Tasmanian Junior Chess,
371 Huon Road
South Hobart, 7004.

Cheques and money orders to be made payable to:
Hobart International Chess Club

Saragossa
06-10-2009, 06:23 PM
2009 Tasmanian Junior
"One Day" Chess Tournament
DATE 11th October 2009
FORMAT 4 Rounds, 25 minutes + 10 seconds per move/ player
TIMES 10am, 11:30am, 1pm, 2:30pm
Randall Street
Sandy Bay
ENTRY FEE $10.00
PRIZES 1st, 2nd & 3rd place medals

(03) 62231991
info@chess.org.au
NOTES This is a separate tournament from the Tas Junior. Entrants cannot participate in both events.

Saragossa
06-10-2009, 06:24 PM
2009 Tasmanian Junior Lightning Chess championship
DATE 10th October 2009, 6-8pm
FORMAT 7 Rounds, 5 minutes / player
Randall Street
Sandy Bay
ENTRY FEE

Free entry for all Junior Championship competitors.

$5 otherwise.
PRIZES 1st, 2nd & 3rd place medals for U12 and U18 division.

(03) 62231991
info@chess.org.au
NOTES A BBQ will be provided for all contestants from 5pm on Saturday.

Tony Dowden
08-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Good luck Lawrence.

I predict a three-horse race between Alastair, Vince and you!

Kevin Bonham
08-10-2009, 07:09 PM
I expect to be along on Saturday but not Sunday.

Saragossa
08-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Good luck Lawrence.

I predict a three-horse race between Alastair, Vince and you!

Thanks Tony. I'll try, if not in the weekender hopefully in the blitz :P

Kevin Bonham
08-10-2009, 09:04 PM
By the way, this may be the 50th anniversary Tasmanian Junior Championship although the records from those days are so lacking that it is hard to tell exactly when the event started. I have recently had some correspondence with the winner of a 1959 event that seems to have been the same event, which he is quite confident (but not completely certain) was the first.

Saragossa
09-10-2009, 12:54 PM
That's quite interesting. Do you have a semi-complete list of the champions? It would be intriguing to see if any of it correlates with the actual champions.

Kevin Bonham
09-10-2009, 07:37 PM
That's quite interesting. Do you have a semi-complete list of the champions? It would be intriguing to see if any of it correlates with the actual champions.

I don't have anything before the 1980s and pretty scattered records since then. I know that Julian Steward (Tas champ 1992) was U18 champion 1986. Ben Fearnley-Sander (Tas champ 1990) was U18 champion 1989. Alastair Dyer (joint Tas champ 2009) was U18 champion the last three (I think) years. The other state champions who are young enough to have won junior titles since the mid-80s (Bonham, Stansfield, Lucht, Frame) never did so to my knowledge. My best was =2nd in 1989 although drawing both games against Fearnley-Sander was a very good result for me at that stage.

Kevin Bonham
10-10-2009, 11:44 PM
The U18 event (6 rounds of G60/+10) has 11 entrants including most of the best juniors from all over the state. The standard is high and there were several exciting and strongly contested games today. After three rounds defending champion Alastair Dyer has the outright lead on 3/3 from Marcus Bretag on 2.5; the two meet in round four tomorrow morning. Marcus had a draw against Vincent Horton in round three but Vincent himself is down on 1.5 after this spectacular first-round loss to Owen Short:

Short - V Horton.

1.d4 Nf6 2.Bg5 Ne4 3.Bf4 d6 4.f3 Nf6 5.e4 g6 6.Nc3 Bg7 7.Bc4 Nbd7 8.g4 Don't try this at home but in this instance it came off. 8...e5 9.Bg5?! [Just 9.dxe5 dxe5 10.Be3 seems objectively best here.] 9...0-0 [9...exd4 10.Qxd4 0-0 11.Qd2] 10.h4 exd4 11.Qxd4 Ne5 [11...h6 makes sense here. 12.Bxf6 Bxf6 13.Qf2 looks too passive and anything else will involve serious material investment] 12.0-0-0 c5! 13.Qxd6! Qxd6 14.Rxd6 Nxc4 15.Rxf6 Bxf6? [15...Be6 is the move. There is no hurry for black to take the exchange immediately and in the process give white a monster bishop while black's development is still suspect; he should improve his position first.] 16.Bxf6 h6? [16...Be6 is again most solid for a reason that is about to become apparent] 17.Nd5! Kh7 18.Nh3! Be6? Too late! 19.Ng5+!! 1-0

Lawrence Bretag is on 2/3; so is Nick Hunn after an upset win over Jamie Briant.

The Under 12 event (9 rounds of G25/+10) attracted 23 entrants of whom nearly all are from the south. Lenard Lange from the NW Coast is the only exception I am aware of though I may have missed a few. The standard is not particularly strong and unfortunately virtually all of the field are playing way too fast for the time limit despite repeated advice at the start of each round to slow down and examine multiple candidate moves. An example was the round 4 board 1 game in which one player was a piece up inside nine moves and about a minute (which is how it stayed for the rest of the game with Harry Briant showing good endgame technique to convert).

The exception to the trend was the round 5 board 1 game between Harry Briant and Shu Qi Yu. This was a close tussle that reached a double rook ending with Shu Qi initially a pawn up, but Harry getting counterplay and missing a chance to go two pawns up at one point. In a position in which Harry should have forced a draw by repetition he instead overpressed for a win, blundering a rook but managing to get two advanced connected passed pawns. While Shu Qi was trying to work out how to win this he blundered his own rook and the game liquidated to rook and rook's pawn against rook, which Shu Qi easily held the pawnless side of with the game drawn on about move 78. These two are therefore equal leaders on 4.5/5 with four rounds to play.

U18 and U12 state junior blitz titles were held in the evening. Both were delayed in the early rounds by computer problems - they had been initially configured as round robins and then extra players wanted to join (thus converting at least one of the round robins to a swiss). We were ultimately unable to find any solution to this problem in either SP or its user-unfriendly successor League Watch other than re-entering the tournament from scratch and doing manual pairings. Because one round had already been paired in the U18 when the problem was discovered, this eventually resulted in the U18 being converted to a 7-round swiss for nine players (urgh!) but fortunately round 7 was able to be legally paired.

The U12 blitz tournament was most noted for the sole rated player, Harry Briant, having a rare off night. Shu Qi Yu (lost to Oscar Brown) and Lenard Lange (lost to Yu) were the joint winners with one loss each.

6/7 Shu Qi Yu, Lenard Lange
5 Oscar Brown, Bradley Vince
4 William Wardlaw-Kelly, Nathan Williamson, Harry Briant, Gabriel Deayton, Will Jose
3 Fergus Smith, Angus Bird, Anurag Gillkum
2 Sebastian Krasnicki, Oliver McMorrow
1 Benjamin Ebzery

The new U18 blitz champion of Tasmania is Lawrence Bretag. After defeating Alastair Dyer in round three, Lawrence was paired with Marcus Bretag in round four. After winning his brother's queen with a series of nasty blows, Lawrence was kind enough to give it back (but only in order to force a smothered mate). A draw between Dyer and Vincent Horton in round 5 (Horton getting Dyer's queen off the board in KQ vs KQ with one second on his clock) extended Lawrence's lead to 1.5 points. At this point he was paired with Andrew Fifield whose sole victim to that point had been the bye. Fifield defeated the leader convincingly but it made no difference as he still had half a point up his sleeve and was able to win his last game.

A heartrending blitz disaster was recorded by Kevin Hendrey who with queen, rook and several pawns against bishop and pawn (but down to about 20 seconds) drove Jamie Briant's king to his own end of the board but missed mate in one. As an alternative to the mate he chose a king move that would have set up mate the move after had Jamie moved his king again, but Jamie instead pointed out that the king had moved into a bishop check.

It is also notable (and a sign of the levity present throughout the rather chatty and informal tournament) that Alastair habitually opened with 1.a3 in this event.

6/7 Lawrence Bretag
5.5 Alastair Dyer
5 Jamie Briant, Vincent Horton
4 Kevin Hendrey
3.5 Marcus Bretag
2 Andrew Fifield, Owen Short, Nick Hunn

More tomorrow; hopefully someone else can fill in how it finished up.

ER
11-10-2009, 01:10 AM
After three rounds defending champion Alastair Dyer has the outright lead on 3/3 from Marcus Bretag on 2.5; the two meet in round four tomorrow morning.

First of all congratulations to all the participants who make it a very strong tournament. However, Lawrence and Marcus first and then Vincent are my favourites, without underestimating Alistair who is also a champion player! So c'mon boys just stick to it and play your best chess! :clap:

Lawrence Bretag is on 2/3;

Go Lawrence!!! :clap:

The new U18 blitz champion of Tasmania is Lawrence Bretag.

Congratulations again! A well deserved title!:clap:

After defeating Alastair Dyer in round three, Lawrence was paired with Marcus Bretag in round four. After winning his brother's queen with a series of nasty blows, Lawrence was kind enough to give it back (but only in order to force a smothered mate).

Any chance to reconstruct the game??? I know I am asking for too much!

Kevin Bonham
11-10-2009, 01:30 AM
Any chance to reconstruct the game??? I know I am asking for too much!

I'd say no chance at all; it was blitz after all. I do remember that when the queen was returned there were two different pieces that could take it, but since one was a rook and the other a knight, neither could prevent the smothered mate.

Alastair is in a good position for the U18 title. He can afford to draw against Marcus tomorrow if he needs to. His wins against Owen and Lawrence yesterday looked convincing from what I saw of them (actually the one over Owen was only about 18 moves; Alastair wins a lot of games in under 25 moves.)

Incidentally the NW junior championship was recently won outright by Vincent Horton after Alastair lost a game to Kevin Hendrey - I'm told this was Alastair's first loss in a Tasmanian junior tournament since about 2005!

ER
11-10-2009, 01:36 AM
Incidentally the NW junior championship was recently won outright by Vincent Horton after Alastair lost a game to Kevin Hendrey - I'm told this was Alastair's first loss in a Tasmanian junior tournament since about 2005!

Incredible record by Alastair! :clap: and of course :clap: for Vincent whom I met in Adelaide and he is a fine young gentleman!

Tony Dowden
11-10-2009, 09:22 AM
... The new U18 blitz champion of Tasmania is Lawrence Bretag. After defeating Alastair Dyer in round three, Lawrence was paired with Marcus Bretag in round four. After winning his brother's queen with a series of nasty blows, Lawrence was kind enough to give it back (but only in order to force a smothered mate) ...

Well done Lawrence (Saragossa) :clap: :clap: :clap:

I not suprised though: Lawrence and I played a few 3-0 games on PlayChess some weeks ago (after our Rapid Training Game 1) and Lawrence really obliterated me in one of them ...

Kevin Bonham
11-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Under 18

6/6 Alastair Dyer (U18 Champion)
4.5 Marcus Bretag (U18)
4 Lawrence Bretag (U16 Champion), Kevin Hendrey (U18)
3 Owen Short*(U18), Andrew Fifield* (U18), Mitchell Reid* (U14 Champion)
2.5 Nicholas Hunn*(U16), Vincent Horton (U14)
2 Jamie Briant* (U16)
1.5 Jess Rossiter* (U14)

* includes bye

Under 12

8.5/9 Harry Briant (U12 Champion)
7.5 Oscar Brown (U10 Champion)
6.5 Shu Qi Yu (U10)
5.5 Blake Zamykal (U10), Bradley Vince (U10), Lenard Lange (U10), Sebastian Krasnicki (U12), William Wardlaw-Kelly (U10)
5 Anurag Gillkum (U8 Champion), Cormac Lawrence (U12), Will Jose (U12)
4.5 Gabriel Deayton (U10), Raman Law* (U8)
4 Fergus Smith* (U12), Christos Klonaris (U8), Emmanuel Klonaris (U10), George Lee* (U8), Yuvini Perera* (U10), Nathan Williamson* (U8)
3 Callum Stacherski* (U8)
2.5 Olivia Lee* (U10), Angus Bird* (U8)
2 Emily Vince* (U12)

* includes bye

I have seen some crosstables but they don't have start numbers so are rather challenging to decipher; am hoping to get them with start numbers and post.

Tony Dowden
11-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Well done Alastair! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm looking forward to hearing from our man on the spot (Saragossa)

Saragossa
11-10-2009, 09:40 PM
I had the most hardcore game with Marcus in the last round. I had all my kingside pawns rolling at him in a KID and it looked like he had no counterplay. But I played quite impatiently thinking that my attack would just roll over him thus I let a pawn go and it came back to bite me. Marcus found an amazing defensive tacticNg1!! which turned the tide of the game. Then we went into a hardcore imbalenced ending where we both had virtually no time on the clock (mostly just me making cheap threats XD) and Marcus defended beautifully in the scramble and by one tempo escaped perpetual. I will post this game so soon.

I not suprised though: Lawrence and I played a few 3-0 games on PlayChess some weeks ago (after our Rapid Training Game 1) and Lawrence really obliterated me in one of them ... That's too generous. Essentially what happened is I risked a gambit because I thought I'd muddled up lines then after Tony defended all my threats I threw in a cheapo. I was pretty stoked.

Congratulations again! A well deserved title! Thankyou. Yeah I've had the blitz title in sight since last year when i played Alistair and was something ridiculous like a Q+R against a pawn and I flagged lol. Then at the Tasmanian champs I won a queen for a rook then traded my queen for his rook and knight..........then dropped a piece into an opposite OCB ending. So I had to win it this time.

Kevin Bonham
12-10-2009, 01:08 AM
U18 Crosstable

No Name Loc Total 1 2 3 4 5 6

1 Dyer, Alastair 1847 6 10:W 5:W 3:W 2:W 4:W 6:W
2 Bretag, Marcus 1502 4.5 6:W 11:W 8:D 1:L 5:W 3:W
3 Bretag, Lawrence 1553 4 7:W 4:W 1:L 9:W 8:W 2:L
4 Hendrey, Kevin 1430 4 9:W 3:L 7:W 5:W 1:L 8:W
5 Short, Owen 1268 3 8:W 1:L 11:W 4:L 2:L 0:W
6 Reid, Mitchell 790 3 2:L 10:L 0:W 11:W 9:W 1:L
7 Fifield, Andrew 1395 3 3:L 8:L 4:L 0:W 11:W 10:W
8 Horton, Vincent 1508 2.5 5:L 7:W 2:D 10:W 3:L 4:L
9 Hunn, Nick 783 2.5 4:L 0:W 10:W 3:L 6:L 11:D
10 Briant, James 1404 2 1:L 6:W 9:L 8:L 0:W 7:L
11 Rossiter, Jess 1.5 0:W 2:L 5:L 6:L 7:L 9:D

Southern Cross TV visited on the Saturday and Russell Horton, Kevin Hendrey and Jess Rossiter gave extensive interviews! Alas as I was attempting to run the blitz at the time I did not see the news report.

Saragossa
12-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Well done Alastair! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm looking forward to hearing from our man on the spot (Saragossa)

Alastair dominated as expected. Vinny had a tough tournament which is disapointing considering he placed ahead of Alastair in the NW champs. Marcus had a great tournament, reaching a drawn ending vs Alastair unfortunately blundering during time pressure. There could be an entire section just for the pretty checkmates that came up (I'll try and hunt some down). Andrew played really well against me. The tournament was really relaxed, enjoyable and the arbiters/DOP/Organisers were all fantastic.

Tony Dowden
12-10-2009, 05:37 PM
... That's too generous. Essentially what happened is I risked a gambit because I thought I'd muddled up lines then after Tony defended all my threats I threw in a cheapo. I was pretty stoked ...

:( I really am getting old* - I thought I still knew when I was being smashed up ...

*old: a relative term. In this case referring to the advanced stage of the early part of middle-age.

Kevin Bonham
14-10-2009, 12:34 AM
There was an excellent and substantial writeup of this event by Michelle Paine in the Mercury on Monday (about page 10 IIRC). Included a large photo of Alastair Dyer and I didn't see a single factual error. Unfortunately doesn't seem to be available online.

This is not the first time Paine has written articles regarding subjects I knew something about that were way above the standard of most of the Tasmanian press.

ER
14-10-2009, 01:21 AM
There was an excellent and substantial writeup of this event by Michelle Paine in the Mercury on Monday (about page 10 IIRC). Included a large photo of Alastair Dyer and I didn't see a single factual error. Unfortunately doesn't seem to be available online.

This is not the first time Paine has written articles regarding subjects I knew something about that were way above the standard of most of the Tasmanian press.

That's very good news! I hope we' be having the same coverage during the Australian Juniors Chess Championship!