PDA

View Full Version : Grudge Matches

antichrist
24-09-2009, 07:17 AM
With Mike Baron challenging the Jones family to a chess showdown to settle disputes about soft titles it has opened up a whole new world of possibilities.

Things have not always been smooth running between two Sydney chess retailers and organisers. They too could fight it out over the board, their ratings are not too dissimilar, age wise and stamina they are also similar. That would help get rid of the cat-fighting we see sometimes. That would settle the Sydney league.

The winner could take on Mr Nice Guy from the Gold Coaster, another retailer and organiser for a State of Origin series - that would be a sell out. Mr Nice Guys seconds could be Caioli and Arianson(?).

Than to decide the national champ the winner of that could take on the Chess Guru from Victoria. Also a retailer and organiser. He also could be backed up by his posse.

We wil leave Tassie's KB out of it due to rating deficiency - but if he insists on the basis on states rights he could play in a qualifer against the South Aussie champ (if they even have one).

But first I suppose we would have to solve the tiff between Mr Chess Discount and Chess Preso BG over what rating system will be used. So I suppose they must have a qualifer play-off as well. That would be a thriller due to the bad blood over NSWCA presi elections a few years back where accusatons were hurled like ladies underwear at a DJ's sale.

The supporting card could take place between the rival chess websites - the moderators on both sides forming teams. We may need security over this one - it could turn into another Serena Williams blow-up.

Matt & BG would have to play their games in a tent donated by Bill - to prevent venue being demolished.

AO & Gunnar would have to play via a glass dividing panel like at Long Bay - to stop bitching.

If I have left anyone out please contact me via the mental health dept.

I am just a boy whose intentions are good,
Ol Lord, please dont let me be misunderstood

Kevin Bonham
24-09-2009, 02:35 PM
I think a match between Brian Jones and Peter Parr would be quite interesting. Given how out of date and unreliable Parr's rating is, it might even be close.

The supporting card could take place between the rival chess websites - the moderators on both sides forming teams.

Now that they have Laurence M as well as firegoat that would actually be quite an interesting match. We would have a big rating advantage on board 3 but tough games on boards 1 and 2.

ER
24-09-2009, 04:31 PM
will banned posters be allowed to play?

antichrist
24-09-2009, 07:41 PM
of course but there games on this board will only show their opponents moves.

There will be a prize for whoever can work out the highest number of the banned posters correct moves. Hey that could be a new variety of chess.

Kevin Bonham
24-09-2009, 07:47 PM
will banned posters be allowed to play?

It's not a serious proposal, just a fantasy match dreamed up by AC.

ER
24-09-2009, 07:56 PM
There will be a prize for whoever can work out the highest number of the banned posters correct moves. Hey that could be a new variety of chess
hey we can always impose the banning if they got the upper hand! :P :lol:

lol ok let's assume it was for real? would allowing them to proceed with their moves scores as normal and to bar any possible attempt for descriptive written analysis be an option??? :P :lol:

MichaelBaron
27-09-2009, 12:55 PM
I think Jones family will never play me...too scared :):owned:

ER
27-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Hold on they might be preparing secretly, give 'em a deadline! ;)

Brian_Jones
02-10-2009, 02:37 PM
I think Jones family will never play me...too scared :):owned:

Can't find the challenge - can you provide me with the url?:hand:

MichaelBaron
02-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Can't find the challenge - can you provide me with the url?:hand:

It is in the Ratings section :) of Chesschat :)

ER
03-10-2009, 12:31 AM
I think now it's Michael who's chickeing out! :P Ratings sections has numerous threads! Specify please!!!:owned:

Kevin Bonham
03-10-2009, 12:33 AM
It's OK, Brian has already found it.

ER
03-10-2009, 06:23 AM
thanks, let them settle it now ! :P

MichaelBaron
03-10-2009, 12:07 PM
By the way, I would like to repeat once again that I am happy to give all 3 "title holders" FM B Jones FM L Jones and WIM N Jones a simul! If they wish, they can also invite FM R. Jones from Papua New Guinea to join their team :)

Adamski
03-10-2009, 12:20 PM
I think a match between Brian Jones and Peter Parr would be quite interesting. Given how out of date and unreliable Parr's rating is, it might even be close..This seems as good a place as any to advise all that unfortunately Peter Parr had a nasty accident requiring surgery. He is currently recovering and without the use of one arm. I don't think chess challenges would be very high in his current priorities. I hear that the accident happened on his way to his shop on the day when Sydney had the red dust.

We all wish you a speedy and full recovery, Peter.

MichaelBaron
04-10-2009, 03:57 PM
This seems as good a place as any to advise all that unfortunately Peter Parr had a nasty accident requiring surgery. He is currently recovering and without the use of one arm. I don't think chess challenges would be very high in his current priorities. I hear that the accident happened on his way to his shop on the day when Sydney had the red dust.

We all wish you a speedy and full recovery, Peter.

If such match is to take place..my money would be on Peter Parr

Saragossa
04-10-2009, 08:24 PM
By the way, I would like to repeat once again that I am happy to give all 3 "title holders" FM B Jones FM L Jones and WIM N Jones a simul! If they wish, they can also invite FM R. Jones from Papua New Guinea to join their team :)

Gawain Jones aswell :P :P :P

antichrist
10-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Well Peter still managed to put his column out, the deadline for which I think may be Saturday. Any later news on him?

antichrist
10-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Mike, Brian mentioned odds of 20:1 and him tackling you single handed - just like I tackled the biggest guy of the school head onwho was many years older as well - now if you were so cocky of defeating the whole family surely you can defeat a solitary old man. So surely the ball is back in your court. As you should be super confident against one person your money is as good as being in the bank. Go for it and I will cheer for you all the way. It is the spirt we like, the passion, the fight, the blood and the canvas.

antichrist
10-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Now Bill and myself have had a big tiff over at ******* Forum about my latest barring. I accused him of many unsavoury things. So I hereby challenge William Nigel Gletsos to a grudge match, myself being the lower player by 500 points deserves white colour and to be played under Kaitlin Chess Ladder rules, with Gunnar Duggan as arbitar.

Come out fighting!

AC White
B Gletsos Black
1. d4

and due to great inbalance of ratings if I win Bill hands in his sheriff's badge of this forum coz that is what caused the fight in the first place.

Adamski
10-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Well Peter still managed to put his column out, the deadline for which I think may be Saturday. Any later news on him?I spoke to him today and he was in good spirits. His shop was open today and will be each day now.

Bill Gletsos
10-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Now Bill and myself have had a big tiff over at ******* Forum about my latest barring.Actually you made numerous false claims about Chesschat moderation over on the toolbox.
That is against this sites rules.
Do it again and you will be banned.

antichrist
11-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Well BIll, we can shake hands before and after the game to show that mateship is still there. But I would love the game with your mod license on the line up for grabs. With that big rating difference you will win hands down. You never turn down a challenge! Just imagine your opposition is all your other foes as well - that will really get you incentivated!

antichrist
12-10-2009, 03:43 PM
I spoke to him today and he was in good spirits. His shop was open today and will be each day now.

Peter won't learn, Illic already has it in for him for only writing up his defeats in SMH column and not his wins. And he had the hide to write up another one from hospital bed. And we all know what Ilic said to Cathy Rogers. Another grudge match and hospital bed coming up.

antichrist
25-10-2009, 06:26 PM
JAK, Don't you think you deserve a grudge match against Garvinator for coming the raw prawn?

And while you are there arrange a grudge match between Mischa and myself - I ain't scared of no one - not like you Victorian pansies.

ER
25-10-2009, 06:48 PM
JAK, Don't you think you deserve a grudge match against Garvinator for coming the raw prawn?

lol with him? He is only good for scaring kids away in tournaments! Nah he is a good arbiter but as a chess player, :hmm: I wouldn't even waste a j' adube move on him! :lol:

And while you are there arrange a grudge match between Mischa and myself - I ain't scared of no one - not like you Victorian pansies!

You wouldn't stand a chance vs Mischa, none can, in anything! She is the surreal deal! :)

Hey talkin about grudge matches let's try to trap Firegoat vs Baron in having one! After that we can aim for Katrin vs Cordover, Cordover insists on a mud wrestle, I think he scored a point there! :)

antichrist
27-10-2009, 06:47 PM
JAKI
You wouldn't stand a chance vs Mischa, none can, in anything! She is the surreal deal!

A/C
Justaswel you well you warned me I was about to run amok and do a mike Baron and challenge the whole family to a simul cc - like Israel challenging all her neighbours as once - bring it on (special for MB that analogy)

antichrist
02-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Illic complained to me about ten years ago how P Parr only writes up his loses in his chess column. Well in the past year Peter has done it thrice more.

Again today after again only a few weeks ago. Does PP like waving a red flag at a ragin bull?

Surely they must come out fighting!

peter_parr
03-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Illic complained to me about ten years ago how P Parr only writes up his loses in his chess column. Well in the past year Peter has done it thrice more.
Again today after again only a few weeks ago. Does PP like waving a red flag at a ragin bull?
Surely they must come out fighting!
I have been on good terms with Ilija Ilic for over 35 years. I talked to him at length at Burwood just before the first round of the NSW State Championship. My column is factual.
There are six players competing in the NSW State Championship I published the progress scores of the six players.

Ilic score is out of 6. Ilic is also competing in the World Seniors in Italy I published his score. I also published his result in Vienna 2009.

Rincewind
03-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Generally, AC's posts only have a passing association with reality. More usually it the reality that AC wishes were true rather than the shared objective reality that most of the rest of us participate in.

antichrist
03-11-2009, 07:54 PM
I have been on good terms with Ilija Ilic for over 35 years. I talked to him at length at Burwood just before the first round of the NSW State Championship. My column is factual.
There are six players competing in the NSW State Championship I published the progress scores of the six players.

Ilic score is out of 6. Ilic is also competing in the World Seniors in Italy I published his score. I also published his result in Vienna 2009.

well it would not hurt to make him happy for once and write up one of his wins. He did complain. And maybe to ignore a few of his losses.

Metro
28-11-2009, 09:18 AM
These matches have quite a bit of potential to create interest.Who could resist Beaumont v Bonham?:eek: Or Chess Guru v BG?:eh: There may be some sponsorship $.Having said that most of the matches will not get off the ground.I wonder why?;)

MichaelBaron
28-11-2009, 09:21 AM
I think such matches would be fun. Thats why I would be happy to play Shirty or give simul to Jones FMs

Metro
28-11-2009, 10:21 AM
:clap:
I think such matches would be fun. Thats why I would be happy to play Shirty or give simul to Jones FMs
First step is an agreement in principle.
Second step is an agreement of all conditions.This may take several years.;)

antichrist
30-11-2009, 09:24 PM
I am still preoccupied for awhile, but give me time and I will try and pull off the stunt. Even may make a chess movie out of it.

antichrist
28-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Kate and IRena - I would like to see that

Kevin Bonham
28-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Kate and IRena - I would like to see that

I don't believe Irina has any grudge in that matter. Certainly haven't seen her comment about it anywhere.

antichrist
28-03-2013, 03:43 PM
I don't believe Irina has any grudge in that matter. Certainly haven't seen her comment about it anywhere.
If Irina learns that her inactivity is viewed as protecting her indefensible rating she may think differently. She does not have to spell it out.

Kevin Bonham
28-03-2013, 03:55 PM
If Irina learns that her inactivity is viewed as protecting her indefensible rating she may think differently.

You've just believed Katherine's unproven claims about Irina's rating without bothering to examine the evidence.

Irina's ACF rating is only 2085! and her FIDE is 2206. True, both have been declining over time but I don't think she would have played so well against GM Marie Sebag if those ratings were "indefensible".

Kate1978girl
28-03-2013, 07:16 PM
I don't think she would have played so well against GM Marie Sebag if those ratings were "indefensible".

Anyone can have a handful of good games once in a while. As you said yourself she is in decline ("evidence" proves this) & ive alot of motivation for our game at the zonal. We'l see.....

Ps. To my eyes Antichrist didnt actually say he believed my claims (he may or may not), only that i view her inactivity as such hence the grudge match scenario.

Igor_Goldenberg
03-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Inactivity is not necessarily a sign of decline...

Kevin Bonham
03-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Ps. To my eyes Antichrist didnt actually say he believed my claims (he may or may not), only that i view her inactivity as such hence the grudge match scenario.

My eyes have perhaps seen a little more of AC's habitual grudges and biases and even more habitual trolling than yours. While AC often words things sloppily as well, in this case I suspect he knew what he was doing.