PDA

View Full Version : Tony And Lawrence's Games/Analysis Thread (feel free to contribute)

Saragossa
15-09-2009, 10:42 PM
[Event "Friendly Game, 25m + 10s"]
[Site "Main Playing Hall"]
[Date "2009.09.15"]
[Round "?"]
[White "TonyD"]
[Black "Saragossa"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "B01"]
[PlyCount "99"]
[EventDate "2009.09.15"]
[TimeControl "1500+10"]

1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Qxd5 3. Nc3 Qd6 4. g3 (Hadn't seen this before although I haven't played the Scandinavian much) 4...Nf6
5. Bg2 c6 6. d4 e5?! (Seemed quite good at the time. I wanted to counter attack the center ASAP so he couldn't just cramp me to death. However it lets him build up alot of pressure on my center rather than me building pressure on his) 7. Nge2 Bg4 8. h3 [8.f3 Bf5 9.dxe5 Qxe5 10.Bf4 Qa5 11.Nd4 (or castles looks to give white an edge)] 8...exd4 (Conceding the two bishops however my idea was that if I could get a N on d5 and hold it there then the ending wouldn't be bad. And I just had a general feeling that my N's were well placed enough to hold. Along with the pawn structures being pretty symetrical.) 9. Bf4 Qb4 10. Qxd4 Bxe2 11. Qxb4 Bxb4 (This is what I had expected) 12.Kxe2 O-O (for practicallities sake I'm thinking that Nbd7 would be better but this looks fine) 13. Rad1 ( I don't really understand this. i thought Rhe1 would be played simply to castle by hand. I suppose the drawback is that it hems the knight and dosen't take a vice to d5) 13...Re8+ 14. Kf1 Nbd7 (I wanted to go to b6 then take control of d5) 15. Bf3 (I abandoned this plan since I thought if I had my Knight on d5 he can eventually play c4 but with my knight on e5 f4 to kick it was harder to do. I also liked that if he trades it's OCB ending) 15...Ne5 16. Bxe5 Rxe5 17. Ne2 Rae8 18. Nc1! (tricky tricky) 18...Re1+ (18...Bc5 can even be seen as quite a reasonable alternative.) [18...Bc5 Nd3 19. Rf5] 19. Kg2 Rxh1 20. Kxh1 Re1+ (I thought I was trading down to a dead drawn ending. I was also trying to worsen his king positon. I think 20...Re1+ is a mistake I should've left his king sitting oddly on h1) 21. Kg2 Rxd1 22. Bxd1 Kf8 23. Nd3 Bd6 24. c4 Nd7 25. b3 g6 (the plausibility of an ending where knights are traded became apparent so I made my pawns to play against his bishop.) 26. f4 Nc5 27. Nf2 f5 28. Kf3 Kf7 29. b4 Ne6 30. c5 Bc7 31. Bb3 Kf6 32. Bxe6 Kxe6 33. Ke3 b6? (probably the decisive mistake. I was low on time and should've played Kd5 myself) 34. Kd4 bxc5+ 35. bxc5 h6 36. Nd3 a5 37. a4 g5 (actually wondering if there are any break throughs after h5? I think I was worried about having to trade my bishop for his knight and having a bad position in a king ending) 38. fxg5 hxg5 39. h4 (Annoyingly enough I had seen this but I didn't really see anything better for black.) 39...Bxg3 40. hxg5 Bh4 41. Nf4+ Kd7 42. Nh3 Ke6 43. Nf4+ Kd7 (he even gave my a second oppurtunity to play Kf7 darn! The reason I played Kd7 is becasue I thought i would need him to stop a king invasion) 44. g6 Bf6+ 45. Ke3 Ke7 46. Nh5 Bg5+ 47. Kd4 Bh6 48. Ke5 f4 49. Nxf4 Kf8 50. Ne6+

I thought I played reasonably. I should brush up on theory with the Qd6 line or not play it at all. I need to work on my endings and my time managment. I planned in the middlegame but I stopped planning when it hit the endgame I don't really know why probably because I thought I could coast it to a draw.

Ok any feedback is greatly appreciated. We played some blitz games afterwards aswell they were fun but don't have place here. I'll be working on this game throughout the week aswell so is there anyway that the mods could make it so I can permanently edit this post or something similar?

Kevin Bonham
15-09-2009, 11:07 PM
When you enter a game and you have a black move after a bracket you need the move number followed by three dots for the game viewer to read it, eg 8...Qxg7.

I fixed them up and also a few closed-bracket type issues.

Also if you want variations to show in the viewer you can put them in square brackets.

Saragossa
15-09-2009, 11:31 PM
Whoops sorry Kevin. I usually bring up the guide but I was hurrying. My bad.

ER
16-09-2009, 01:24 AM
Lawrence, in your analysis after [8.f3 Bf5 9. Bf4 etc] why not 9 ... ef4?

Tony Dowden
16-09-2009, 09:49 AM
It looks like most of the game score is currently missing :( so just a general comment for now.

Lawrence played really well and mostly displayed a good feel for the critical moment :clap: :clap: The time limit was 25 minutes plus 10 seconds and, as is a common hazard with these time controls, I played too fast in the opening. I especially missed Black's interesting response to 8.h3(?!) - thinking he would just play the automatic 8...Bh5.

After losing the thread a little (a lot?) I soon found myself bailing out, hoping to steer the game into a level ending. I think Black had serious chances for a few moves (around move 15, I think)but in the game I didn't see anything that really scared me. After all the rooks came off it was obviously a draw but since it was a training game I thought I should play some moves. (I haven't played through the game yet but at least a couple of times deep into the ending I thought I might have given myself possible losing chances!).

With his clock running down I thought Lawrence played well and comfortably stayed within the drawing zone until the very end - so he was most unfortunate to lose. A tough game that should have been a draw :clap: :clap:

Kevin Bonham
16-09-2009, 03:52 PM
It looks like most of the game score is currently missing :( so just a general comment for now.

The formatting is extremely sensitive and takes some getting used to to avoid problems.

In this case there were two problems - one was that a square bracket for a variation was opened once and closed twice and another was that a square bracket was placed directly after a move without a space before the square bracket.

I've repaired these now so the main line works again.

Tony Dowden
16-09-2009, 07:34 PM
The formatting is extremely sensitive and takes some getting used to to avoid problems.

In this case there were two problems - one was that a square bracket for a variation was opened once and closed twice and another was that a square bracket was placed directly after a move without a space before the square bracket.

I've repaired these now so the main line works again.

Thanks a lot KB - that's real service :P

Saragossa
16-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Lawrence, in your analysis after [8.f3 Bf5 9. Bf4 etc] why not 9 ... ef4?

Sorry I meant to include dxe5 Qxe5 first before Bf4. I think f3 was a pretty good idea seeing as it isn't to hard to get rid of the dark squared bishop and take some dark square control with f4 sometime. But I understand why weakening the kingside can be risky and that white might just be able to hold an edge wiuthout anything risky.

ER
16-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Sorry I meant to include dxe5 Qxe5 first before Bf4 (...)
Makes a mental note to imagine every possible set (or subset) of other combinations, and insert it between Lawrence's recorded moves! :P

Capablanca-Fan
17-09-2009, 10:03 AM
1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Qxd5 3. Nc3 Qd6 4. g3 (Hadn't seen this before although I haven't played the Scandinavian much. It's quite logical though; it puts the B on a good diagonal and prepares to gain a tempo with Bf4 after d4. ) 4...Nf6
5. Bg2 c6 6. d4 e5?! (Seemed quite good at the time. I wanted to counter attack the center ASAP so he couldn't just cramp me to death. But accepting a cramped but solid position is normal in the Scandinavian. However it lets him build up a lot of pressure on my center rather than me building pressure on his. Not surprising, because White has a lead in development and Black's Q is still exposed.) 7. Nge2 [7. Nf3 would force Black to make a decision about the centre, e.g. 7... exd4 [7... e4 8.Qe2 has that P in trouble] 8. Bf4 Qb4 9. Qxd4 with a strong lead in development.] 7... Bg4 8. h3 [8.f3 Bf5 9.dxe5 Qxe5 10.Bf4 Qa5 11.Nd4 (or castles looks to give white an edge)] 8...exd4 (Conceding the two bishops however my idea was that if I could get a N on d5 and hold it there then the ending wouldn't be bad. Not what I would call an outpost. It's on an open file, and in your half of the board. And as you note below, White can kick it with c4. And I just had a general feeling that my N's were well placed enough to hold. Along with the pawn structures being pretty symetrical. The open position favours the B-pair; Black has no strong points for the Ns.) 9. Bf4 Qb4 10. Qxd4 Bxe2 11. Qxb4 Bxb4 (This is what I had expected) 12.Kxe2 O-O (for practicallities sake I'm thinking that Nbd7 would be better but this looks fine. It does. Otherwise White might play 13.Ne4) 13. Rad1 ( I don't really understand this. i thought Rhe1 would be played simply to castle by hand. I suppose the drawback is that it hems the knight and dosen't take a vice to d5. I prefer 13. Rhd1, since this is a more useful file (possible strong square on d6, while Black can do nothing with the e-file with White's K so close), and it doesn't disconnect the Rs.) 13...Re8+ 14. Kf1 Nbd7 (I wanted to go to b6 then take control of d5) 15. Bf3 (See? With the other R on d1, White wouldn't have needed to move this B, and could play 15. Ne2 and possibly aim for d6, and a Q-side P-storm would show the strength of the B on the long diagonal. I abandoned this plan since I thought if I had my Knight on d5 he can eventually play c4 but with my knight on e5 f4 to kick it was harder to do. I also liked that if he trades it's OCB ending) 15...Ne5 16. Bxe5 Rxe5 [I wouldn't have given up the B-pair] 17. Ne2 Rae8 18. Nc1! (tricky tricky) 18...Re1+ (18...Bc5 can even be seen as quite a reasonable alternative.) [18...Bc5 Nd3 19. Rf5] 19. Kg2 Rxh1 20. Kxh1 Re1+ (I thought I was trading down to a dead drawn ending. I was also trying to worsen his king positon. I think 20...Re1+ is a mistake I should've left his king sitting oddly on h1) 21. Kg2 Rxd1 22. Bxd1 Kf8 23. Nd3 Bd6 24. c4 Nd7 25. b3 g6 (the plausibility of an ending where knights are traded became apparent so I made my pawns to play against his bishop.) 26. f4 Nc5 27. Nf2 f5 28. Kf3 Kf7 29. b4 Ne6 30. c5 Bc7 31. Bb3 Kf6 32. Bxe6 Kxe6 [This exchange was most inadvisable for White; his Ps are fixed on the same colour as the enemy Bs so make good targets. In a relatively open position like this, it's hard to keep back the enemy K as well, because the N can be zugzwanged after being tied down to defending one of those Ps. Black's Ps also complement his own B, controlling squares of both colours, keeping out the enemy K.] 33. Ke3 b6? (probably the decisive mistake. I was low on time and should've played Kd5 myself. No, this is hardly the losing move; Black is still better. I agree that 33... Kd5 is logical. White must play 34. Kd3 to prevent penetration to the K-side, then Black shows up the dangers of Ps fixed on his B's colour with 34... g5 35.fxg5 Bxg3 36.Ne1 Bh4! winning a P and the game. Another idea, and possibly better if short of time, is 33... b5, fixing another target at b4 as well as taking c4 from White. Then a followup could be ... a5, weakening either the Pc5 if white takes, or forcing a new target after a3 met by ... a4. Black would then play ... Bd8-f6-b2 forcing Nc2. Then Black can lose a tempo with Bc1 and make White's K give way. This is typical strategy in many BvN endgames.) 34. Kd4 bxc5+ [even here, 34... b5 wins on the lines of the previous note] 35. bxc5 h6 36. Nd3 a5 [far better to have enemy Ps fixed on your B's colour than your own] 37. a4 g5 (actually wondering if there are any break throughs after h5? I think I was worried about having to trade my bishop for his knight and having a bad position in a king ending) 38. fxg5 hxg5 39. h4 (Annoyingly enough I had seen this but I didn't really see anything better for black. But Black would be fine with 39... g4, once again showing up the vulnerability of White's Ps on the colour of Black's B. White can draw with 40. Nf4 Bxf4 41. gxf4, because Black can't win the Ph4, which also keeps Black's K from going to the Q-side) 39...Bxg3 40. hxg5 Bh4 41. Nf4+ Kd7 42. Nh3 Ke6 43. Nf4+ Kd7 (he even gave my a second oppurtunity to play Kf7 darn! The reason I played Kd7 is becasue I thought i would need him to stop a king invasion) 44. g6 Bf6+ 45. Ke3 Ke7 46. Nh5 Bg5+ [Even here, the typical B-stalemates-N move with 46... Be5 is fine, also cooperating well with the Pf5 to keep the WK out. White's Pc5 is still weak too.] 47. Kd4 Bh6 48. Ke5 f4 49. Nxf4 Kf8 50. Ne6+

I thought I played reasonably. I should brush up on theory with the Qd6 line or not play it at all.
The latter. IM Solomon has a low opinion of the line, for example.

I need to work on my endings and my time managment. I planned in the middlegame but I stopped planning when it hit the endgame I don't really know why probably because I thought I could coast it to a draw.
And as shown, you overlooked many winning chances in the BvN endgame. Dr Dowden gave you lots of chances, and I think he knows it judging by his comments; I doubt that he would have played this way in a tournament game! Maybe a book like Averbakh's Chess Endings: Essential Knowledge (http://www.amazon.com/Chess-Endings-Essential-Iuri-Averbakh/product-reviews/1857440226) would help.

Kevin Bonham
17-09-2009, 09:11 PM
The losing move is only right at the end - 47...Bh6 letting the white king in. Black still has the option there of 47...Bf6+ and then ...Be5 as per Jono's suggestion. This doesn't only corral the knight but it also screens the king. It can't get in anywhere.

In Jono's line 33... Kd5 34. Kd3 g5 35.fxg5 Bxg3 36.Ne1 Bh4 white can get the pawn back by Nd3+ - Nc4 - Na5. Wouldn't care to defend the position with white though. Wouldn't care to defend after 36...f4 in this line either.

After 39.h4 Jono's 39...g4 looks fine and 39...f4 is also worth a look: If white takes on f4, black takes on h4 and knights are hopeless at stopping rook's pawns. If white takes on g5, black takes on g3 and white's g-pawn gets cleaned up fast. These must both lose so white might have to give up the pawn and blockade with 40.g4 gxh4 41.Nf2 (the knight can go to h3 when needed). I can't see how to break this down. But what you played was also OK, it didn't become lost til later.

Saragossa
17-09-2009, 09:45 PM
After 39.h4 Jono's 39...g4 looks fine and 39...f4 is also worth a look: If white takes on f4, black takes on h4 and knights are hopeless at stopping rook's pawns. If white takes on g5, black takes on g3 and white's g-pawn gets cleaned up fast. These must both lose so white might have to give up the pawn and blockade with 40.g4 gxh4 41.Nf2 (the knight can go to h3 when needed). I can't see how to break this down. But what you played was also OK, it didn't become lost til later.

At the time I was in pretty extreme time trouble but thats because I did silly things like before Qb4 I deliberated for a long time even though this is a pretty obvious and somewhat thematic move. I'm getting quite a few endgame books and I will study them so I have more of an instinct for it. Seems my weak point forever.

Thank you both very much for the annotations especially of the ending. I'll go over the game thoroughly either tomorrow or on the weekend and add to my original sketch analysis.

Tony Dowden
19-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi Lawrence,

Sorry I haven't annotated our game yet! I'm getting a big job at uni finished today but I see KB and Jono have already commented fairly throroughly. (Jono is right about me playing very riskily in the ending to try and win and KB is right in saying you only lost right at the very, very end - a point I think I made earlier too).

I'll add my comments in due course though.

:hmm: I have been reflecting all week what a tricky time control rapid is! I've had a lot of success with it in the past - because I'm a naturally quick player - but not having played with this time control for ages (except the very occasional one-sided club game) I found it much harder to handle than I used to. Old age??? :(

I think I'm motivated to play in the third leg of the Tassie rapid circuit now (even if I take a hit or two).

Cheers, Tony

Tony Dowden
19-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Training game 1: (Tony's comments bolded)

1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Qxd5 3. Nc3 Qd6 4. g3 (Hadn't seen this before although I haven't played the Scandinavian much My idea was to avoid book lines. Assuming Black plays c7-c6 soon a fianchettoed KB supports d2-d4-d5 or b2-b4-b5 pawn pushes to soften up the long diagonal. And, as Jono pointed out, g3 supports Bf4 gaining a tempo by hitting the Qd6) 4...Nf6 5. Bg2 c6 6. d4 e5?! (Seemed quite good at the time. I wanted to counter attack the center ASAP so he couldn't just cramp me to death. However it lets him build up a lot of pressure on my center rather than me building pressure on his) 7. Nge2 (I'm not sure I agree with Jono about 7.Nf3 because its useful to support the Nc3 in some lines. If I'd stuck to my plan with 8.dxe5 I would have been doing well) 7...Bg4 8. h3?! (8.f3 Bf5 9.dxe5 Qxe5 10.Bf4 Qa5 11.Nd4 or castles looks to give white an edge I had planned 8.dxe5 Qxe5 9.Bf4 with a pleasant advantage due to better development but then I lazily threw in 8.h3 expecting the automatic 8...Nh5 when after 9.dxe5 I've got the same kind of position after 8.dxe5 but I've also taken some squares from the Black Nf6 'for free') 8...exd4 (Conceding the two bishops however my idea was that if I could get a N on d5 and hold it there then the ending wouldn't be bad. As Jono says, d5 isn't a good outpost for the N because it doesn't have any decisive influence in the short term and later on White can drive it away with an eventual c2-c4 And I just had a general feeling that my N's were well placed enough to hold. Along with the pawn structures being pretty symetrical. I missed ...exd4 and reacted poorly by replying too quickly and, to be honest, missed Black's very next move!) 9. Bf4 Qb4 10. Qxd4 Bxe2 11. Qxb4 Bxb4 (This is what I had expected But not at all what I'd been hoping for. After ...Qb4 I had a longish think and, because I couldn't see anything else, decided to bail into the drawn ending - where, in practice, experienced players often get the best opportunities to outplay less experienced players. As we all learn, drawn endings still have to be actually drawn - not so easy when your clock is running down and your opponent is moving fast because he just 'knows' what to do based on a combination of vast experience and reasonable to good technique! ) 12. Kxe2 O-O (for practicallities sake I'm thinking that Nbd7 would be better but this looks fine I don't see much difference between ...0-0 and ...Nbd7 - although the latter may turn out to be more flexible) 13. Rad1 (I don't really understand this. I thought Rhe1 would be played simply to castle by hand. I suppose the drawback is that it hems the knight and dosen't take a vice to d5. Controlling d5 is handy. Otherwise ...Bxc3 followed by ...Nd5 might be a nuisance ) 13...Re8+ 14. Kf1 Nbd7 (I wanted to go to b6 then take control of d5. Jono is right that 13.Rhd1! would have been quite a bit better and possibly giving me a sustainable advantage after all. After ...0-0 Black indicates that he plans to double R's on the e-file. However White can prevent Black from getting a R to e2 without too much difficulty and so the logical approach for White is to try to control the d-file. In addition it is handy to get a bit more control over the d5 square. And, finally, note that 13.Rhe1 voluntarily walks into a pin - which is usually only advisable if there is some kind of immediate pay-off ) 15. Bf3 (I abandoned this plan since I thought if I had my Knight on d5 he can eventually play c4 but with my knight on e5 f4 to kick it was harder to do. I also liked that if he trades it's OCB ending) 15...Ne5 16. Bxe5 (This admits I don't have anything and is a safe way to broaden 'the drawing zone' - a practical concept worth thinking about. Jono reckons he wouldn't have given up the two bishops. He may have a point but I think Black's Ne5 is a good piece and probably worth a bishop in this particular position. Besides, if I had hoped to keep the two babes I shouldn't have played 15.Bf3) 16...Rxe5 17. Ne2 Rae8 18. Nc1! (tricky tricky Actually just a normal move. I need to get that knight working for me and Nd3 looks like a useful square. Note here that having a pinned knight on c3 could have been a nuisance by now.) 18...Re1+ (18...Bc5 can even be seen as quite a reasonable alternative.) 19. Kg2 Rxh1 20. Kxh1 Re1+ (I thought I was trading down to a dead drawn ending. Yes, you are right! But its only truly 'dead' if the N's come off the board. I was also trying to worsen his king position. But this isn't relevant unless tempi are critical. Here I can re-centralise my king without much trouble. I think 20...Re1+ is a mistake. I should've left his king sitting oddly on h1.) 21. Kg2 Rxd1 22. Bxd1 Kf8 23. Nd3 Bd6 24. c4 (I don't know about this move but with Black's time running down I was trying to create something out of nothing. At least it looks like its grabbing some space) 24...Nd7 25. b3 (Necessarily guarding c4 so that ...Ne5 doesn't force me to swap knights. Keeping knights on the board is essential to preserve any winning chances) 25...g6 (the plausibility of an ending where knights are traded became apparent so I made my pawns to play against his bishop.) 26. f4 Nc5 27. Nf2 f5 28. Kf3 Kf7 29. b4 (Mainly bluff. 29.Ke3 and a draw a few moves later would be normal) 29...Ne6 30. c5 Bc7 31. Bb3 Kf6 32. Bxe6??! [More bluff and, as Jono rightly points out, this time I should have paid for it. By the way, I'm especially impressed by Jono's explanation at this point. He has an excellent knowledge and understanding of technical issues in positions like this - way more than my understanding actually!) 32...Kxe6 33. Ke3 b6? (probably the decisive mistake. I was low on time and should've played Kd5 myself Again I think Jono is spot on with his comments. In my attempts to block the dark squared bishop I have left too many pawns on dark squares - and if one falls I'm very likely to lose) 34. Kd4 bxc5+ 35. bxc5 h6 36. Nd3 a5 37. a4 (Around here I had belatedly realised I could lose. Nabbing the chance to fix a Black pawn on a dark square and preventing the bishop from getting in behind my pawns via the a5 square made me breathe easier.) 37...g5 (actually wondering if there are any break throughs after h5? Good point, Black can keep it blocked and its just a draw. But as Jono has explained its Black who has the winning chances around here! I think I was worried about having to trade my bishop for his knight and having a bad position in a king ending) 38. fxg5 hxg5 39. h4 (Annoyingly enough I had seen this but I didn't really see anything better for black.) 39...Bxg3 40. hxg5 Bh4 41. Nf4+ Kd7 42. Nh3 (Repeating to gain time as I fully aware the position is still only a draw) 42...Ke6 43. Nf4+ Kd7 (he even gave my a second oppurtunity to play Kf7 darn! The reason I played Kd7 is because I thought I would need him to stop a king invasion) 44. g6 (Still a bluff) 44...Bf6+ 45. Ke3 Ke7 46. Nh5 Bg5+ 47. Kd4 Bh6?? (Blundering with under a minute left on the clock 47...Bf6+ is still an easy draw. White's bluff has worked. The psychological pressure was ramped up and Black cracked. This happens in MOST games with a decisive result even at super-GM level. People make mistakes under pressure. I gave Bxe6??! the exclam because it was a reasonable way to try and swindle a win given that you were short of time and this was a training game with nothing hanging on it. I think the ramifications of Bxe6 move were quite instructive ... for both of us! ). 48. Ke5 (It looks like its curtains for Black) 48...f4?! (Even here 48...Be3 49.g7 Kf7 50.Kd6 f4 is a better saving try. Although I think White is still winning.) 49. Nxf4 Kf8 (Or 49...Bxf4 50.Kxf4 Kf6 51.g7! In the game I assumed Black had planned to take on f4 but with only seconds left suddenly noticed the g6-g7 push) 50. Ne6+ (1-0)

Phew, that was a mission getting the PGN right. I took me about three hours all up (half an hour to annotate and two-and-a-half to fix up) :(

Thanks for a tough game Lawrence :) And thanks to Jono and KB for their very helpful comments.

Capablanca-Fan
25-09-2009, 01:21 PM
A good illustration of the above winning technique in good B v defensive N was demonstrated by none other than Kasparov in the 5th game of his just-completed blitz match (http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/kasparov-beats-karpov-6-2-in-blitz/#more-16547) with endgame maestro Karpov (25 September 2009):

1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Be7 4. Bf4 Nf6 5. e3 O-O 6. Rc1 dxc4 7. Bxc4 a6 8. Bd3 Bd6 9. Bg5 h6 10. Bh4 Nbd7 11. Nf3 Be7 12. O-O c5 13. dxc5 Nxc5 14. Bb1 Qxd1 15. Rfxd1 Re8 16. Ne5 b5 17. Nc6 Bf8 18. f3 g5 19. Bf2 Bd7 20. Ne5 Bc8 21. e4 b4 22. Ne2 Ncd7 23. Nc4 a5 24. Nd6 Bxd6 25. Rxd6 Ne5 26. Nd4 Ba6 27. Bg3 Nfd7 28. Nc6 Rac8 29. Rcd1 Rxc6 30. Rxc6 Nxc6 31. Rxd7 Rc8 32. Rc7 Rxc7 33. Bxc7 Kf8 34. Kf2 Ke7 35. Ke3 f6 36. Bc2 Kd7 37. Bb6 Bc4 38. b3 Bb5 39. g3 Kc8 40. f4 h5 41. h4 g4 42. Bc5 Kb7 43. Bf8 Nb8 44. Be7 Nd7 45. Bd3 Bxd3 46. Kxd3 Kc6 47. Kc4 Nb6+ 48. Kd4 Nd7 49. Bd8 Kb5 50. f5 exf5 51. exf5 a4 52. Be7 a3 53. Kd5 Ne5 54. Bxf6 Nd3 55. Bd4 Nc1 56. f6 1-0

Tony Dowden
25-09-2009, 09:17 PM
A good illustration of the above winning technique in good B v defensive N was demonstrated by none other than Kasparov (this week) ...
Yes :lol: I was thinking the very same - and remembering my 32.Bxe6??(!) move against Lawrence - when I played through the K-K game earlier today!

Saragossa
26-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Ok the second game will be up shortly! Sorry for the delay everyone, trust me this is a once off all other training games will be posted ASAP.

Tony Dowden
26-09-2009, 05:55 PM
No worries Lawrence - I don't think anyone minds that much!

Saragossa
26-09-2009, 10:25 PM
[Date "2009.09.22"]
[Round "?"]
[White "TonyD"]
[Black "Saragossa"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "C48"]
[PlyCount "65"]
[EventDate "2009.09.22"]
[TimeControl "1500+10"]

1. e4 {4} e5 {7} 2. Nf3 {33} Nc6 {21} 3. Bb5 {26} Nf6 {3} 4. Nc3 {9} a6 {118}
5. Bxc6 {24} dxc6? (for some reason I thought this was still a ruy lopez without Nc3 being played it was full lolz. Atleast with 5...bxc6 I would have had central control and an open b-file to the Q-side.) {11} 6. Nxe5 {3} Bd6 {86} 7. Nf3 {26} Qe7 ( I was just trying to achieve quick development and hopefully get compensation. I noted that I had the bishop pair but opening the position without any central control seemed ridiculous. I was pretty devo.) {20} 8. d3 {4} Bg4
{41} 9. h3 {7} Bh5 {5} 10. Qe2 {115} Bb4 {97} 11. Bd2 {7} Nd7 {49} 12. a3 {62}
Ba5 {6} 13. g4 {183} Bg6 {3} 14. Nd4 {12} O-O-O {64} 15. Nb3 {34} Bb6 {11} 16.
O-O-O {4} h5 {30} 17. f3 {12} Nf6 {60} 18. Be3 {50} Bxe3+ {68} 19. Qxe3 {3} Nd5
{137} 20. Nxd5 {83} cxd5 {9} 21. Qa7 {7} c6 {30} 22. Nc5 {10} Qc7 {112} 23. e5
{17} Rhe8 {46} 24. f4 {11} f6 {22} 25. f5 {16} Bf7 {11} 26. e6 {4} Bg8 {10} 27.
Rde1 {69} Re7 {35} 28. Nd7 {33} Qf4+ {34} 29. Kb1 {5} Kc7 {23} 30. Qb6+ {59}
Kc8 {18} 31. Qc5 {20} Ree8 {24} 32. Rhf1 {82} Qc7 {106} 33. Qa7 (Time to call it a day and hope for better next week. I'm not entirely sure what I should take from this game other than observing how Tony converted the pawn/position so easily.) {30 Saragossa
resigns (Lag: Av=1.20s, max=1.8s)} 1-0

I have general comments that I tried to delay castling for as long as possible so I could commit my king the opposite direction and try to stir something up, as it transpired I couldn't find anything better then castles. Tony converted it too easily, killed my counter play. I should have tried for c5 sometime. These doubled pawns seem wasted by themselves. And extra disapointingly I thought we had a really nice triangulated ending thing where Because I could no longer check I would lose, it wasn't so : (.

Congratz to Tony for the win, especially how easily you made it look.

Alexrules01
27-09-2009, 12:58 AM
Ouch thats looks ugly for black :)

I think for white, 30. Nc5 pretty much kills black. He can't protect b7 without giving up material, from what I can see

Saragossa
27-09-2009, 01:07 AM

I think for white, 30. Nc5 pretty much kills black. He can't protect b7 without giving up material, from what I can see

Yep certainly wasn't my best moment. I think it goes fundamentally back to dxc6.

Kevin Bonham
27-09-2009, 02:15 AM
After 4.Nc3 you have a Spanish Four Knights by transposition. In this position 4...a6 is dubious at best. 5...dxc6 is actually the least worst move but after 6.Nxe5 the only even remotely viable line is 6...Nxe4 7.Nxe4 Qxd4 8.0-0 Qxe5 9.d4 etc and even that is pretty dodgy since white has a clear lead in development.

I have lost count of the number of easy points I have scored from players who think that 4...a6 in the Spanish 4 Kts is just the same as 3...a6 in the Ruy. It is not the same at all because in the Ruy if 4.Bxc6 dxc6 5.Nxe5 then white has problems after 5...Qd4 but in the Spanish Four Knights 5.Bxc6 dxc6 6.Nxe5 Qd4 is nothing because the Nc3 protects e4. I have even had a rated opponent in a rated game play 6...Qd4? and after 7.Nf3 hang his queen by playing 7...Nxe4 because he still thinks it's a Ruy. :rolleyes:

Didn't look at the rest deeply but looks like Tony converted it very smoothly.

Tony Dowden
27-09-2009, 10:12 AM

30...Kc8 holds in the short term.

Alexrules01
27-09-2009, 10:44 AM
30...Kc8 holds in the short term.

True, but after 31. Nxa6 bxa6 its just about over. But anyway you look at it, black is lost

Saragossa
27-09-2009, 12:48 PM
After 4.Nc3 you have a Spanish Four Knights by transposition. In this position 4...a6 is dubious at best. 5...dxc6 is actually the least worst move but after 6.Nxe5 the only even remotely viable line is 6...Nxe4 7.Nxe4 Qxd4 8.0-0 Qxe5 9.d4 etc and even that is pretty dodgy since white has a clear lead in development.

Didn't look at the rest deeply but looks like Tony converted it very smoothly.

Yes definitely an arguement for not playing too fast and thinking in the opening. On the bright side I would much rather it happen here then in a rated game :cool: .

Tony Dowden
27-09-2009, 01:09 PM
True, but after 31. Nxa6 bxa6 its just about over. But anyway you look at it, black is lost

Oops, you are absolutely right Alex (sorry about that). After 31...bxa6 32.Qxe7 picks up the rook! And if Black doesn't take then 32.Qa8+ is devastating. With all the wood along the seventh after Black's 29th I assume I missed my Q could eventually take on e7.

Tony Dowden
27-09-2009, 01:51 PM
My comments in bold. Training Game 2

[Date "2009.09.22"]
[White "TonyD"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 Nf6 4. Nc3 ([B]As KB indicates this is a sneaky transposition from a Ruy Lopez into a Four Knights) 4...a6 (The most popular response is the Rubinstein variation 4...Nd4 where I've had some success in blitz with GM Sutovsky's 5.0-0!?) 5. Bxc6 dxc6?! (for some reason I thought this was still a ruy lopez without Nc3 being played it was full lolz. At least with 5...bxc6 I would have had central control and an open b-file to the Q-side.) 6. Nxe5 Bd6?? (This is a serious mistake and probably the critical moment of the game. As KB says 6...Nxe4 was essential when White gets a lead in development after 7.Nxe4 Qd4 8.0-0 Incidentally, while Black was pondering his 6th move I was examining 7.Nxf7? but this looks like it loses after 7...Qe7! 8.Qe2 Nxc3) 7. Nf3 Qe7 ( I was just trying to achieve quick development and hopefully get compensation. I noted that I had the bishop pair but opening the position without any central control seemed ridiculous. I was pretty devo.) 8. d3 (White only has to stay solid to make the extra pawn tell. White's primary strategy over the next few moves is to snuff out any opportunities for counter-play) 8...Bg4 9. h3 Bh5 10. Qe2 (Gaining a tempo with the threat of g4 followed by e5) 10...Bb4 11. Bd2 Nd7 12. a3 (Now White chases the bishops to slow down any pawn breaks.) 12...Ba5 13. g4 Bg6 14. Nd4 O-O-O 15. Nb3 Bb6 16. O-O-O h5 17. f3 (Keeping it simple. I saw the enticing 17.f4 hxg4 18.f5 Bh7 19.hxg4 but realised it was less flexible. In rapid chess its unwise to spend much time on these sorts of lines) 17...Nf6 18. Be3 Bxe3+ 19. Qxe3 Nd5?! (This looks clever but its much too commital because it seriously weakens the dark squares around Black's king. In the game I assumed Black had missed my 21st move) 20. Nxd5 cxd5 21. Qa7 c6 22. Nc5 Qc7 23. e5 Rhe8 24. f4 f6 (Allowing White to establish a monstrous passed pawn on e6 but Black is in a bad way in any case) 25. f5 Bf7 26. e6 Bg8 27. Rde1 (A little lazy. White should get on with manoeuvring a rook to b3) 27...Re7 28. Nd7 Qf4+ 29. Kb1 Kc7 30. Qb6+ Kc8 31. Qc5 Ree8 32. Rhf1 Qc7 33. Qa7 1-0 (Time to call it a day and hope for better next week. I'm not entirely sure what I should take from this game other than observing how Tony converted the pawn/position so easily. Black can avoid instant death but White will win easily by manoeuvring a rook or two to the b-file ).

Congratz to Tony for the win, especially how easily you made it look. Thanks Lawrence, Alexrules points out I missed 30.Nc5! Kc8 31.Nxa6! when the b-pawn is pinned and Qa8+ is threatened - but by that time I was fixated on getting a rook to b3

Kevin Bonham
27-09-2009, 04:19 PM
As well as the Rubenstein 4...Nd4 the other lines that are fully playable are 4...Bb4 (this is very fiddly and positional but if black knows all the right maneuvers then the best white can hope for is a very small edge) and the rather tricky and odd-looking 4...Bd6.

I don't recommend playing 4...Nd4 against weaker players unless confident that their endgame is much worse than yours, since 5.Nxd4 usually leads into an endgame that is drawish and sometimes a little bit tricky for white. It is a good line to play against strong players though, because it leads to messy positions where black has good attacking chances (often at the cost of a pawn).

Tony Dowden
27-09-2009, 09:52 PM
As well as the Rubenstein 4...Nd4 the other lines that are fully playable are 4...Bb4 (this is very fiddly and positional but if black knows all the right maneuvers then the best white can hope for is a very small edge) and the rather tricky and odd-looking 4...Bd6.

I don't recommend playing 4...Nd4 against weaker players unless confident that their endgame is much worse than yours, since 5.Nxd4 usually leads into an endgame that is drawish and sometimes a little bit tricky for white. It is a good line to play against strong players though, because it leads to messy positions where black has good attacking chances (often at the cost of a pawn).

I forgot to mention earlier that GM Emms quite likes 4...Bc5!? which has relatively little theory compared to 4...Nd4. Its probably a reasonable weapon against weaker players but Black should be prepared for 5.0-0 0-0 6.Nxe5!? Nxe5 7.d4 Bd6 8.f4!

Saragossa
17-10-2009, 02:26 PM
[Date "2009.09.30"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Saragossa"]
[Black "TonyD"]
[Result "0-1"]
[ECO "C10"]
[PlyCount "52"]
[EventDate "2009.09.30"]
[TimeControl "1500+10"]

1. e4 {4} e6 {3} 2. d4 {10} d5 {8} 3. Nc3 {6} Nc6!? {I had done most my preparation around Tony's winawer. I was aware that he might play this but I neglected to shore up.} {8} 4. Nf3 {2} Nf6 {17} 5. e5
{173} Ne4 {68} 6. Bd3 {72} Bb4 {21} 7. Bd2 {I didn't really mind giving up this bishop as I thought my pawns impeded him and my d3 bishop worked well with my central pawns. 7.O-O was an interesting alternative, putting question to whether 6...Bb4 is actually threatening to win a pawn. I think black could take it, so does fritz but it's still interesting.} {39} Nxd2 {19} 8. Qxd2 {6} f6 {2} 9.
a3 {46} Bxc3 {68} 10. bxc3?! (10. Qxc3) {Had to be better. At the time I was thinking I could get rid of the ugly c-pawns by playing c4. Practically, I think, afer this move black is better} {54} 10...fxe5 {3} 11. Nxe5? {This is hugely inconsistent! (11. dxe5) keeping as much material on as possible. The reason I played it was because I was scared of the knight jumping to a5 and occupying the c4 square} 11...Nxe5 {64} 12. dxe5 {2}
O-O {40} 13. O-O {117} c5 {60} 14. Rfd1 (14. f4) {Seems stronger with the idea of building up to f5} 14...Qc7! {104} 15. c4?! (15. Qe3) {Had to be played. I thought Tony was going to push c4 and make my bishop go back to e2 where it isn't all that active then it seems black is the only one with an active plan.} {196} 15...Qxe5 {93}
16. Re1 {65} Qf6 {52} 17. cxd5 {13} exd5 {16} 18. c4 {Trying to make sure he could never cut off my bishop activity. Unfortunately it comes with the downside of making my c4-pawn a potential target} {4} 18...d4 {31} 19. Rab1 {Trying to provoke b6 so I could have a nice bishop on d5.}
b6 {132} 20. Be4 {10} Rb8 {17} 21. Bd5+ {2} Kh8 {1} 22. Rb3 {Only real active try. White has tricks but nothing serious} 22...Bg4 {133} 23.
Rg3 {108} Bh5 {17} 24. Rh3 {I did consider 24.Re6 here but after (24. Re6 Qf5!) White has some annoying threats to deal with} 24...Bf7 {124} 25. Rf3 {33} Qg6 {58} 26. Qf4?? {Looking over the game I don't think white has anything. Just practically though trying to eep material on was a much better idea.} (25. Rf3 Qg6 26. Be4 Qd6 27. Qd3) {Just trying for more tricks before losing the endgame.}
Bxd5 {49 Saragossa resigns (Lag: Av=1.00s, max=1.6s)} 0-1

Tony Dowden
17-10-2009, 09:49 PM
The game file doesn't quite work yet ...

Some quick comments (for Training Game 3):

1. You are right, 10.bxc3? is an unnecessary positional concession. 10.Qxc3 is equal or maybe still slightly better for White. And as you also mention 11.dxe5 is better (here Black must be better but its quite tricky). Scary that you had prepared by the way ;)

2. 13...c5 felt a bit risky (because I'm not developed) but I wanted to try and grab the advanatge. In the game you reacted well by keeping some initiative even at the price of a pswn. (Note that in rapid the initiative is especially important. See Game 5!!)

3. 18...d4 looks natural but White's initiative might be more dangerous than you think. If 18...Be6 then cxd5 followed by Bxh7+ lines work. Maybe my 19...b6 was wrong (it felt wrong at the time but in the increasingly limited time left I couldn't see anything nasty). I have to say you played very actively between moves 18-22 and didn't give me a chance to get comfortable!

4. I was very suspicious about my position when I played 22...Bg4. I could see that Re6 might hurt in some lines. Actually, maybe it does hurt! If you had played 24.Re6 then 24...Qf5 loses to 25.Rg5 (25...Qb1+ 26.Re1). I'm pretty sure I saw this line in the game and was going to try to bail with 24...Qf4 and hope for the best!

5. I was a little bit surprised you didn't play it out. I wondered if you had calculated 27.Qxf8+ Rxf8 28.Rxf8+ Bg8 29.h3 h6 30.Ree8 thinking that White was getting somewhere but forgot that the Black king can get to g6 after ...Qb1

An interesting game! :D

Kevin Bonham
17-10-2009, 10:18 PM
5. I was a little bit surprised you didn't play it out. I wondered if you had calculated 27.Qxf8+ Rxf8 28.Rxf8+ Bg8 29.h3 h6 30.Ree8 thinking that White was getting somewhere but forgot that the Black king can get to g6 after ...Qb1

I looked at this earlier. Instead of 29...h6 black plays ...Qd3 and then 30.Ree8 Qxc4 and white only recovers the bishop at the cost of liquidation to a dead lost pawn ending.

Tony Dowden
18-10-2009, 09:43 AM
I looked at this earlier. Instead of 29...h6 black plays ...Qd3 and then 30.Ree8 Qxc4 and white only recovers the bishop at the cost of liquidation to a dead lost pawn ending.

Thanks KB. I didn't see that in the game :lol:

But I was confident that the d-pawn would win it for me anyway.

Saragossa
18-10-2009, 12:29 PM
4. I was very suspicious about my position when I played 22...Bg4. I could see that Re6 might hurt in some lines. Actually, maybe it does hurt! If you had played 24.Re6 then 24...Qf5 loses to 25.Rg5 (25...Qb1+ 26.Re1). I'm pretty sure I saw this line in the game and was going to try to bail with 24...Qf4 and hope for the best!

My bad. With 24...Qf4 I think I can just trade and put my rook on e7 and go into an ending with a fair chance of drawing. as long as I make sure the d-pawn dosen't get out of hand. Which leads me to believe 24...Qd8 is your shot at the win. Looks strange but it keeps me off the seventh rank.

Tony Dowden
18-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Yes, I think you are right Lawrence. 24...Qf4 was my bailout plan in case nothing else worked against 24.Re6. After 24...Qd8 you don't seem to have anything much (but I'm a notoriously lazy analyst away from the board). In the game I was aware ..Qd8 looked like a move but I didn't look at it because at the time I was thinking on your move and then you played 24.Rh3 and the (briefly worrying) moment had passed (because once I played 24...Bf7 when I felt comfortable again).

A bit of a mouthful but its interesting how emotion complicates things. For instance, when you feel under pressure - time-wise or you feel like you are about to be crushed - it often leads to poor play or even outright blunders.

Saragossa
19-10-2009, 08:33 PM
[Date "2009.10.14"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Saragossa"]
[Black "TonyD"]
[Result "0-1"]
[ECO "B01"]
[PlyCount "74"]
[EventDate "2009.10.14"]
[TimeControl "1500+10"]

1. e4 {1} d5 {2} 2. exd5 {2} Qxd5 {2} 3. Nc3 {6} Qd6 {Brings up a very important pyschological important point. Don't get cocky. I thought seeing as I had done work on this opening I had a line that forced advantage.} 4. d4 {3} Nf6 {1} 5.
Nf3 {1} a6 {1} 6. g3 {1} e6 {Hadn't seen this before.(6...b5 is more regular)} 7. Bf4 {12} Qb6 {4} 8. Na4 {27} Qa7 {4} 9. Bxc7?!
{Secondly: Don't play too fast! And think about grabbing pawns! I think this pawn is kind of poisoned. It gives black easy play and initiative. Better is (9. Bg2)} b5 {1} 10. Bxb8 {25} Rxb8 {14} 11. Nc3 {11} b4 {31} 12. Ne2 {7} Bb7 {9} 13.
Bg2 {3} Qa8 {13} 14. Nf4? (14...g5 {destroys this with 15...g4 to follow. Another reason for not playing quick} {9}14...Bd6 {6} 15. Nd3 {12} O-O {36} 16. O-O {3} Rfd8 {10
} 17. Nh4 {39} Bxg2 {17} 18. Nxg2 {2} Rbc8 {8} 19. Qd2?! {19. Ne3 should really be played here to keep him out of c4. Regardless I think black is doing better than fine here}19... Rc4 {27} 20. c3 {26
} bxc3 {4} 21. bxc3 {3} Ne4 {8} 22. Qe3 {115} Rxc3 {75} 23. Rfc1 {35} Rdc8 {18}
24. Rxc3 {71} Nxc3 {And now black stands better. Because of whites weak isolated pawn and N vs bishop, also his king is a bit airy.} 25. Ngf4 {137} Nd5 26. Nxd5 {62} Qxd5 {4} 27. Nf4
{8} Qf5 {17} 28. Rc1 {120} Rb8 {20} 29. Nd3 {175} Ba3 {85} 30. Rc7 {51} Rb1+ {6
} 31. Kg2 {20} Qd5+ {3} 32. Qf3 {19} Rg1+ {3} 33. Kxg1 {39} Qxf3 {4} 34. Rc8+ {
16} Bf8 {2} 35. Ne5 {78} Qd1+ {22} 36. Kg2 {3} Qxd4 {1} 37. Nc6 {8} Qd6 {25
Saragossa resigns (Lag: Av=0.96s, max=1.6s)} 0-1

I'll do more tomorrow.

Saragossa
19-10-2009, 08:37 PM
A bit of a mouthful but its interesting how emotion complicates things. For instance, when you feel under pressure - time-wise or you feel like you are about to be crushed - it often leads to poor play or even outright blunders.

I often think of things like this. I've figured out that I am quite suceptible to psychological domination if I lose to someone initially. I always find it really difficult to play agianst Alastair, you and Kevin because my first thought is that I will lose. So I often lose really badly to Alastair etc. It's quite hard to break also.

Saragossa
05-11-2009, 07:29 PM
[Date "2009.10.14"]
[Round "?"]
[White "TonyD"]
[Black "Saragossa"]
[Result "0-1"]
[ECO "C33"]
[PlyCount "52"]
[EventDate "2009.10.14"]
[TimeControl "1500+10"]

1. e4 {4} e5 {8} 2. f4 {13} exf4 {After Tony mentioning that he played the KG in the openings thread I figured if I were to play 1...e5 against him again,after my first shocker, I'd best prepare for the KG a little. Typically naive me I spent a lot of that day on chess publishing going over 3.Nf3 KG's unfortunately I neglected to look at much on 3.Bc4 *face palm*} 3. Bc4 {7} Nf6 {89} 4. Nc3 {32} Bb4 {47}
5. e5 {170} d5 {59} 6. Bb5+ {236} c6 {83} 7. exf6 {6} cxb5 {33} 8. fxg7 {66}
Rg8 {However, I did look at a game! Mcdonald vs Law 1997 through transposition. And it is where we ended up. Talk about luck in chess!} 9. Qe2+ {80} Be6 {70} 10. Nxb5 {I'm out of book here. I looked at} (10.Qxb5+ Nc6 11.Qxb7 Nd4) {which is very interesting} 10...Nc6 {91} 11. Nf3 {38} Qb6 {25} 12.
a3 {I think this is a mistake.}(12. c3 Be7 13. Nbd4 Nxd4 14. Nxd4 Bh4+ 15. Kf1 Rxg7 16.Nxe6 Qxe6 17. Qxe6+ fxe6 18. d4 Rf7) {With quite an unclear position. I think if anything blacks better co-ordination should get at least a draw.} 12...Be7 {53} 13. Nc3 {223} O-O-O {100} 14. d3 {12} Nd4 {Trying to take away a defender of the dark squares.} 15. Nxd4 {133}
Qxd4 {6} 16. Rf1 {Now here I think white needs to close the dark squares so I think Qf2 might be better. Also if black gets in Rxg7 the attack looks overwhelming.} 16...Bh4+ {78} 17. Kd1 {3} Rxg7 {23} 18. Rxf4 {11} Qg1+ {12}
19. Rf1 {76} Rxg2 {160} 20. Rxg1 {10} Rxg1+ {4} 21. Kd2 {15} Bg5+ {7} 22. Qe3 {
5} Bxe3+ {8} 23. Kxe3 {2} d4+ {1} 24. Kf2 {1} Rdg8 {129} 25. Ne2 {12} R8g2+ {31
} 26. Kf3 {5} Bg4+ {4 TonyD resigns (Lag: Av=1.09s, max=1.5s)} 0-1

I think the body of this game is really quite rich. And I can easily imagine White defending to an endgame leaving black with very silly pawns. Tony and I also played this briefly OTB at the Burnie shines where he managed to attack me as white(!) and beat me convincingly.

I also learned that I will need quite a bit of this sort of luck if I am ever to challenge Tony in a properly timed game. The initiative is important. I always say I will do more on the game but never end up doing it but I do say it with the intention to do so ;) .

Capablanca-Fan
05-11-2009, 08:02 PM
[Date "2009.10.14"]
[Round "?"]
[White "TonyD"]

[Result "0-1"]
[ECO "C33"]
[PlyCount "52"]
[EventDate "2009.10.14"]
[TimeControl "1500+10"]

1. e4 e5 2. f4 exf4 {After Tony mentioning that he played the KG in the openings thread [B]For twice as long as you've been alive! I figured if I were to play 1...e5 against him again,after my first shocker, I'd best prepare for the KG a little. Typically naive me I spent a lot of that day on chess publishing going over 3.Nf3 KG's unfortunately I neglected to look at much on 3.Bc4 *face palm*} 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. Nc3 Bb4 5. e5 d5 6. Bb5+ c6 7. exf6 cxb5 8. fxg7 Rg8 {However, I did look at a game! Mcdonald vs Law 1997 through transposition. And it is where we ended up. Talk about luck in chess! Or else you handled an unknown opening skillfully} 9. Qe2+ Be6 10. Nxb5 {I'm out of book here. I looked at} (10.Qxb5+ Nc6 11.Qxb7 Nd4) {which is very interesting, Very dangerous for White, which is probably why Dr D didn't grab the P. White would have to play 12. Kd1 Bg4+ 13. Nce2. But the line played gives Black a lot of activity and a big development lead as well, without even having to sacrifice anything.} 10...Nc6 11. Nf3 Qb6 12.a3 [12. c3 Be7 13. Nbd4 Nxd4 14. Nxd4 Bh4+ 15. Kf1 Rxg7 [15... 0-0-0 16.Nxe6 Rde8! and White must guard mates on f2 and e1. It seems a shame to swap Qs when White's K is so drafty] 16.Nxe6 Qxe6 17. Qxe6+ fxe6 18. d4 Rf7] {With quite an unclear position. I think if anything blacks better co-ordination should get at least a draw.} 12...Be7 13. Nc3 O-O-O 14. d3 Nd4 {Trying to take away a defender of the dark squares. [14... Bg4 15.h3 Bxf3 16.gxf3 Bh4!]} 15. Nxd4 Qxd4 16. Rf1 {Now here I think white needs to close the dark squares so I think Qf2 might be better. [Yes, although Black's attack is still going after 16... Qxf2+ 17. Kxf2 Bc5+, since Black has 2 Bs and open lines while White has several pieces undeveloped. But leaving Qs on is fatal.] Also if black gets in Rxg7 the attack looks overwhelming.} 16...Bh4+ 17. Kd1 Rxg7 18. Rxf4 Qg1+ 19. Rf1 Rxg2! [A very nice combination] 20. Rxg1 Rxg1+ 21. Kd2 Bg5+ 22. Qe3 Bxe3+ 23. Kxe3 d4+ 24. Kf2 Rdg8 [Black must win, with the extra exchange as well as tying up White's first rank] 25. Ne2 [25.Ne4 R8g2+ 26.Kf3 Rxh2 then Rhh1] R8g2+ 26. Kf3 Bg4+ {TonyD resigns} 0-1

I also learned that I will need quite a bit of this sort of luck if I am ever to challenge Tony in a properly timed game. The initiative is important. I always say I will do more on the game but never end up doing it but I do say it with the intention to do so ;) .
You played very well; I would normally expect Tony to be on the winning side of such games against most people.

Saragossa
05-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Thank you for the comments Jono. the 15...O-O-O seems pretty crushing. So perhaps 12.c3 Be7 13.d4 is neccessary to try to hack having a bad knight on a3 after 13...a6? I'll look at that and some other alternatives.

Tony Dowden
07-11-2009, 08:16 PM
As Jono says you did indeed play very well! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I was actually out of book after move 4(!) and I don't believe in the line played. I suspect White can improve on 8.fxg7

After your especially strong 11...Qb6! I don't know if White can recover (positions like this that stink are an especially hard ask in a rapid game). The N is awkward on b5 and my awful 12.a3? move was based on a miscalculation (something to do with you playing ...a6 but I can't remember what).

I didn't notice that the dark squared B which I chased back to the superior e7 square could go to h4 with check until much too late. I found myself in an especially tough spot because White desperately needs to play Bxf4 but this is refuted by ...Qxb2

I also missed your strong 14...Nd4 (not to mention Jono's clinical 14...Bg4). And I definitely should have tried (desperately) to get queens off but I think the plot had been well and truly lost by then anyway.

The finla combintaion with 19...Rxg2 is both gorgeous and devastating. Very nicely played and a pity you didn't have an audience!

As I mentioned in the 'Favourite openings' thread nearby, the King's Gambit is pretty much busted when you are my age. I promise not to play it against you in any more rapids!

Capablanca-Fan
07-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Thank you for the comments Jono. the 15...O-O-O seems pretty crushing. So perhaps 12.c3 Be7 13.d4 is neccessary to try to hack having a bad knight on a3 after 13...a6? I'll look at that and some other alternatives.
You're welcome. I missed typing in some moves in alternative to move 14, which should read 14... Bg4 15.h3 Nd4 16.Qf2 Bxf3 17.gxf3 Bh4!

Saragossa
17-12-2009, 08:05 PM
[Date "2009.11.19"]
[Round "?"]
[White "TonyD"]
[Black "Saragossa"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "C30"]
[PlyCount "51"]
[EventDate "2009.11.19"]
[TimeControl "1500+10"]

1. e4 {2} e5 {2} 2. Bc4 {3} Nc6 {9} 3. Nc3 {5} Nf6 {28} 4. d3 {18} Bc5 {114} 5.f4 {12} d6 {20} 6. Nf3 {5} O-O {191} 7. f5 {I'm unsure of what is considered book here but this looks rigid. My thinking was that 7.a3 to avoid giving up the two bishops or castling for flexibility purposes ie whether the f-file would be better semi-open.} 7...Na5 {I didn't want to lose the opportunity to grab the two bishops. I think I might be being dogmatic but I believe it's an imbalance that favors black.} 8. Bg5 {Very annoying pin! However I really didn't want to play h6. I thought it was just begging to get hacked by the g-pawn advance.} 8...Nxc4 {12} 9.dxc4 c6 {Keeping him out of d5 and my plan was to generate counter-play with a6-b5 so I could keep control of this square.} 10. Qd2 {After this move I got carried away by the fact that I could tactically keep the d5 square. I gave up the a6 idea so I could hopefully cram it all in a tempo quicker.} 10...b5 {85} 11. cxb5 {9} cxb5 {3} 12. Bxf6 [12.Nd5 Nxe4] 12...Qxf6 {40} 13. g4 {0} Bb7 {56} 14. g5 {12} Qd8 {8} 15. Nd5 {270} Bxd5 {I was too scared of sacs and the likes on f6/queens coming in. I had to happy snap him off.} 16. Qxd5 {10} Qa5+ {183} 17. Nd2 {76} Be3 {159} 18. O-O-O {I actually missed this but I was still feeling a little optimistic about my position. His knight is awkward for the moment and I have good pressure down the c-file. I should have kept in mind that all his pawns were knocking at my door and were quite ready to destroy my position if I stop the pressure.} 18...Rac8 {46} 19. Kb1 {7} Qc7 {59} 20. Rc1 {32} Qc5 {78} 21. Qd3 {3} d5? {Here I went crazy with freedom. Taking on g5 should be fine. My quick assessment being short of time was that I wouldn't be able to find computer defense. However [21...Bxg5 22.Nb3 Qe3][21...Bxg5 22.Rhg1 Qe3] etc.} 22. g6?! {Aggressive but not sound. after [22...fxg6 23.fxg6 Qd4!] the queen trade is forced and black has braved the attack to a slightly better endgame.} Bxd2? {And I do suppose I cracked under the pressure. Kudos to Tony for making the rest look so easy.} 23. gxh7+ {8} Kh8 {6} 24. Qxd2 {1} dxe4 {6} 25. f6!! {This forces mate. Fritz helped on that I think after takes it was mate in 11 or something.} g6 {8} 26. Qh6 {6 Saragossa
resigns (Lag: Av=1.12s, max=2.0s)} 1-0

Things I learned from this game.

1.Counter-play has to be fast but also actually a threat, thus I should've spent a little more time making sure I could hold the center before springing to life on the wings.

2. Grow a set and grab a pawn. I feel disappointed in myself foe not seeing the simple way to trade queens. I have been working on this.

3.Tony can see mate in 11's ;)

EDIT: I seem to be having the mysterious N problem. I remember someone else had this before, unfortunately I cannot remember the solution. Does a mod? Note that I copied this out of my played games folder. I tried retyping the move but that didn't work.

Capablanca-Fan
17-12-2009, 10:42 PM
[White "TonyD"]
[Black "Saragossa"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "C30"]
[PlyCount "51"]
[EventDate "2009.11.19"]
[TimeControl "1500+10"]

1. e4 {2} e5 {2} 2. Bc4 {3} Nc6 {9} 3. Nc3 {5} Nf6 {28} 4. d3 {18} Bc5 {114} 5.f4 {12} d6 {20} 6. Nf3 {5} O-O {191} 7. f5 {I'm unsure of what is considered book here but this looks rigid. My thinking was that 7.a3 to avoid giving up the two bishops or castling for flexibility purposes ie whether the f-file would be better semi-open.} 7... Na5 {I didn't want to lose the opportunity to grab the two bishops. I think I might be being dogmatic but I believe it's an imbalance that favors black.} 8. Bg5 {Very annoying pin! However I really didn't want to play h6. I thought it was just begging to get hacked by the g-pawn advance.} 8... Nxc4 {12} 9.dxc4 c6 {Keeping him out of d5 and my plan was to generate counter-play with a6-b5 so I could keep control of this square.} 10. Qd2 {After this move I got carried away by the fact that I could tactically keep the d5 square. I gave up the a6 idea so I could hopefully cram it all in a tempo quicker.} 10... b5 {85} 11. cxb5 {9} cxb5 {3} 12. Bxf6 [12.Nd5 Nxe4] 12...Qxf6 {40} 13. g4 {0} Bb7 {56} 14. g5 {12} Qd8 {8} 15. Nd5 {270} Bxd5 {I was too scared of sacs and the likes on f6/queens coming in. I had to happy snap him off.} 16. Qxd5 {10} Qa5+ {183} 17. Nd2 {76} Be3 {159} 18. O-O-O {I actually missed this but I was still feeling a little optimistic about my position. His knight is awkward for the moment and I have good pressure down the c-file. I should have kept in mind that all his pawns were knocking at my door and were quite ready to destroy my position if I stop the pressure.} 18... Rac8 {46} 19. Kb1 {7} Qc7 {59} 20. Rc1 {32} Qc5 {78} 21. Qd3 {3} d5? {Here I went crazy with freedom. Taking on g5 should be fine. My quick assessment being short of time was that I wouldn't be able to find computer defense. However [21... Bxg5 22.Nb3 Qe3][21... Bxg5 22.Rhg1 Qe3] etc.} 22. g6?! {Aggressive but not sound. after [22... fxg6 23.fxg6 Qd4!] the queen trade is forced and black has braved the attack to a slightly better endgame.} Bxd2? {And I do suppose I cracked under the pressure. Kudos to Tony for making the rest look so easy.} 23. gxh7+ {8} Kh8 {6} 24. Qxd2 {1} dxe4 {6} 25. f6!! {This forces mate. Fritz helped on that I think after takes it was mate in 11 or something.} g6 {8} 26. Qh6 {6 Saragossa
resigns (Lag: Av=1.12s, max=2.0s)} 1-0

You need to leave a space between 7... and the move.

Saragossa
17-12-2009, 11:14 PM
Thank you Jono, and also Kevin's efforts are appreciated. Glad you guys got that sorted. Well there is the game now. I will also take the time to explain the delayed delivery of the 6th(te quickly.?) rapid: I had exams and loads of summer stuff to sort out, now that I have the ball rolling expect to see them up quickly! Chess mode this summer!

Capablanca-Fan
17-12-2009, 11:56 PM
Castling was too early, and that pin was very strong. Instead, 6... a6 and Bg4 have been played. E.g. 6... a6 7. f5 h6 is safe with the K not castled there, then Nd4, c6, d5 with counterplay in the centre.

10. Qd2 is often doubtful with a pin because of those ...Nxe4 tricks, and Black could have played ...Bb4 to threaten that.

I think c3 or even a K move was better than that self-pinning 17.Nd2.

24... f6 had to be played; at least there are still a few chances after the d-pawn goes. 25. f5! was a killer.

Tony Dowden
20-12-2009, 09:05 AM
My added comments (bold)

[White "TonyD"]

[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "C30"]
[PlyCount "51"]
[EventDate "2009.11.19"]
[TimeControl "1500+10"]

1. e4 {2} e5 {2} 2. Bc4 {3} Nc6 {9} 3. Nc3 {5} Nf6 {28} 4. d3 {18} Bc5 {114} 5.f4 {12} d6 {20} 6. Nf3 {5} O-O {191} 7. f5 {I'm unsure of what is considered book here but this looks rigid. [B]f5(!) is regarded as the positional refutation if Black castles short too early. Due to my inaccurate attack you almost got away with it - but not quite! If you do decide to castle it is vital that you have sufficient counter-play. In the game you did better than you should have but, in general, you probably need more activity than this to compensate the angst your king will go through My thinking was that 7.a3 to avoid giving up the two bishops or castling for flexibility purposes ie whether the f-file would be better semi-open.} 7... Na5 {I didn't want to lose the opportunity to grab the two bishops. I think I might be being dogmatic but I believe it's an imbalance that favors black. True but it costs some tempi- so that's Whites compensation for the 2B's } 8. Bg5 {Very annoying pin! One of the main ideas of f5 However I really didn't want to play h6. I thought it was just begging to get hacked by the g-pawn advance.} 8... Nxc4 {12} 9.dxc4 c6 {Keeping him out of d5 and my plan was to generate counter-play with a6-b5 so I could keep control of this square.} 10. Qd2 {After this move [which may not have been the best but I was keen to castle long] I got carried away by the fact that I could tactically keep the d5 square. I gave up the a6 idea so I could hopefully cram it all in a tempo quicker.} 10... b5 {An interesting idea which I missed in the game}{85} 11. cxb5 {9} cxb5 {3} 12. Bxf6 [12.Nd5 Nxe4] 12...Qxf6 {40} 13. g4 {0} Bb7 {56} 14. g5 {12} Qd8 {8} 15. Nd5 {270} Bxd5 {I was too scared of sacs and the likes on f6/queens coming in. I had to happy snap him off.} 16. Qxd5 {10} Qa5+ {An awkward check - I didn't think I was any better here. Perhaps a better plan around move 10 was to just attack the black king and not worry about castling}{183} 17. Nd2 {76} Be3 {159} 18. O-O-O {I actually missed this but I was still feeling a little optimistic about my position. His knight is awkward for the moment and I have good pressure down the c-file. I should have kept in mind that all his pawns were knocking at my door and were quite ready to destroy my position if I stop the pressure.} 18... Rac8 {46} 19. Kb1 {7} {19.f6!? is more agressive but I was (maybe mistakenly) playing it safe} Qc7 {59} 20. Rc1 {32} Qc5 {78} 21. Qd3 {3} d5? {Here I went crazy with freedom. Taking on g5 should be fine. My quick assessment being short of time was that I wouldn't be able to find computer defense. However [21... Bxg5 22.Nb3 Qe3][21... Bxg5 22.Rhg1 Qe3] etc. I must admit I didn't have much control of the position here. I was lucky it turned out so well. Coffeehouse blitz} 22. g6?! {Aggressive but not sound. after [22... fxg6 23.fxg6 Qd4!] the queen trade is forced and black has braved the attack to a slightly better endgame.} Bxd2? {And I do suppose I cracked under the pressure. Kudos to Tony for making the rest look so easy.} 23. gxh7+ {8} Kh8 {6} 24. Qxd2 {1} dxe4 {6} 25. f6!! {A device that's worth remembering (but maybe only one exclam). Here its the black squares around Black's king that are important - not the overall pawn count. This is typical of heavy piece 'endings' where having a drafty king is a major liability This forces mate. Fritz helped on that I think after takes it was mate in 11 or something.} g6 {8} 26. Qh6 {6 Saragossa resigns (Lag: Av=1.12s, max=2.0s)} 1-0

Thanks for the game Lawrence - you are definitely improving!
And thank you too, Jono, for your inciteful comments (as ever).

Saragossa
20-12-2009, 05:16 PM
[Date "2009.11.19"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Saragossa"]
[Black "TonyD"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[ECO "B13"]
[PlyCount "86"]
[EventDate "2009.11.19"]
[TimeControl "1500+10"]

1. e4 {4} c6 {13} 2. d4 {7} g6 {7} 3. c3 {13} d5 {5} 4. exd5 {18} cxd5 {I didn't really want to play into a fianchetto caro-kann so I opted for an exchange caro which I was quite comfortable with because I know some of the plans and ideas after looking at an annotated game of Fischer vs Petrosian once.} 5.
Bd3 {3} Bg7 {3} 6. Bf4 {10} Nc6 {6} 7. Qe2 {Trying to hold down e5 and some stage.} Nf6 {29} 8. h3 {Stopping Nh5 and allowing me to develop my knight to f3 without any pins.} O-O {26} 9.
Nf3 {72} Qb6! {Very well timed. I think Qb6 exploits the fact that I didn't play 9.Nbd2 which I didn't play because I was over-protecting the e5 square. If I had of I could have played 10. O-O-O to protect the b2 square and gotten ready to march my h-pawn in typical fianchetto hack fashion} 10. O-O {I was immediately thinking 10. Qc2 was best, however I was afraid of black getting in e5 in the line I posted or preparing it with Re8 first. The Q on e2 adds an extra vital defender. Here it is also notable that I formulated a good concrete plan here of where I was going to place my pieces to generate some play and followed through with it after being slightly inaccurate.} (10. Qc2 {0} Nh5 11. Bh2 e5 12. dxe5 Re8)
10... Re8 {67} 11. Re1 {44} Ne4 {32} 12. Qc2 {95} Bf5 {41} 13. g4?! (13... Nxf2 14. Kxf2 Bxd3 15. Qxd3 e5!){Something Tony and I must have missed during the game} 13... Bd7 {8}
14. Bxe4? {I have no idea what I was thinking. I was trying to make the e4 pawn weak. 14. Nbd2 I needed that bishop to hold my light square pawns from things like ...f5 and ...h5 at some point.} 14... dxe4 {3} 15. Ne5 {39} Nxe5 {76} 16. dxe5 {I was trying to keep the position closed for my knight ,continue to hold down the e5 break giving life to his R on e8 and hold the dark squares that my pawns on g4-h3 have left behind. } 16... Bc6 {80} 17. Nd2 {Finally! The knight comes out after all this time after the Q transfer occurred to defend the b2 pawn.}
{44} 17... e3 {70} 18. Bxe3 {All three options have to be considered and all are fine with their different pluses and minuses. I didn't like 18.fxe3 because I didn't like the looseness of the e5 pawn. I didn't like 18. Rxe3 because I thought Tony would have play on the d-file which by 18. Bxe3 I can re-arrange it to d4 and only let him have the c file. The differences are all negligible and just a matter of taste.} 18... Qa5 {8} 19. Bd4 {16} Qd5 {36} 20. Qe4 {139} Qe6 {4}
21. Qe3 {21. Qf4 is the move I originally leaned towards however I thought I could continue the crunch by playing f4 etc etc. Notably my plan didn't really work without me getting that rook on d1 involved which I failed to do for most of the game.} 21... b6 {7} 22. f4 {33} Rad8 23. Ne4 (22... h5 23. Qg3){covering the g2 square} {41} 23... Kh8 {11} 24. Ng5 {The threat is more powerful than the execution! I should have jumped my Q to g3 to get rid of any Qd5 threats and prepare at h-pawn rush. However I didn't want to re-arrange the knight and g5 looked like a very nice square and I couldn't see a clear plan after h6.}
24... Qd5 {3} 25. Qe4 {43} Qc4 {10} 26. Qe2 {59} Qd5 {Praying for a draw against a much better opponent.} 27. Qe4 {3} Qxe4 {Probably not objectively the best decision but Tony likes to fight in rapids.} 28.
Nxe4 {7} h6 {30} 29. Rad1 {8} Kg8 {20} 30. Kh2 {Getting off that annoying diagonal and just generally placing my king nicely.} Bb7 {97} 31. Kg3 {7} Rc8 {
17} 32. h4 {40} Red8 {12} 33. Nf2 {15} Rd7?! 34. f5 (34. e6! Rdc7 35. exf7+ Kxf7 36. Bxg7 {Where the e-pawn becomes indefensible.})34... Rcd8 35. e6 {Not the optimal time}
21} 35... fxe6 {8} 36. Rxe6 {36} gxf5 {6} 37. Rg6 e5 {2} 38. Bxe5 {13} fxg4 {2}
39. Rxd7? {39. Rxg7+ wins} Rxd7 {1} 40. Nxg4 {1} Kh7 {10} 41. Rxg7+ {5} Rxg7 {1} 42. Bxg7 {1}
Kxg7 {0} 43. Kf4 {The endgame here is winnable but it would take time and I didn't have time on the clock. However drawing took very little time at all.} Kg6 {14 Saragossa offers a draw (Lag: Av=1.01s, max=1.8s)
} 1/2-1/2

Things I learned during this game:

1. It is alright to take a slightly worse position as long as you are comfortable with the position.

2.Often a move that looks unsound probably will be although it can't hurt to take a look at a strange option. After I annotated this game I realised there is a cool idea with f6 boost e5.

3. I should play that ending.

4. There is such a thing as luck in chess, kind of.

road runner
21-12-2009, 09:22 AM
I think 39.Rxg7+ wins in view of 39...Rxg7 40.Rxd8+

Saragossa
21-12-2009, 11:36 AM
I think 39.Rxg7+ wins in view of 39...Rxg7 40.Rxd8+

Yeah don't worry I've looked at that many, many,many times and it pains me to look at it. :P

Capablanca-Fan
21-12-2009, 03:15 PM
[Date "2009.11.19"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Saragossa"]

[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[ECO "B13"]
[PlyCount "86"]
[EventDate "2009.11.19"]
[TimeControl "1500+10"]

1. e4 c6 2. d4 g6 3. c3 d5 4. exd5 cxd5 {I didn't really want to play into a fianchetto caro-kann so I opted for an exchange caro which I was quite comfortable with because I know some of the plans and ideas after looking at an annotated game of Fischer vs Petrosian once. [B]But in this game, Petrosian didn't fianchetto, so it's quite different.} 5.
Bd3 Bg7 6. Bf4 Nc6 7. Qe2 {Trying to hold down e5 and some stage. It's a good strong point for a N some time. But it would be worth developing other pieces first, where you know their best spots, e.g. Nf3, O-O, Re1.} 7... Nf6 8. h3 {Stopping Nh5 and allowing me to develop my knight to f3 without any pins.} O-O 9.
Nf3 Qb6! {Very well timed. I think Qb6 exploits the fact that I didn't play 9.Nbd2 which I didn't play because I was over-protecting the e5 square. All the same, the move blocks off Black's natural minority attack with ...b5-b4. If I had of I could have played 10. O-O-O to protect the b2 square and gotten ready to march my h-pawn in typical fianchetto hack fashion. This would be most inadvisable, putting your K in the path of Black's minority attack. I think Black would win such a hacking race. Another idea for Black is ... Bf5, not fearing the doubled Ps which would control e4.} 10. O-O {I was immediately thinking 10. Qc2 was best, however I was afraid of black getting in e5 in the line I posted or preparing it with Re8 first. The Q on e2 adds an extra vital defender. Here it is also notable that I formulated a good concrete plan here of where I was going to place my pieces to generate some play and followed through with it after being slightly inaccurate.} (10. Qc2 Nh5 11. Bh2 e5 12. dxe5 Re8)
10... Re8 11. Re1 Ne4 12. Qc2 Bf5 13. g4?! (13... Nxf2 14. Kxf2 Bxd3 15. Qxd3 e5!){Something Tony and I must have missed during the game} 13... Bd7
14. Bxe4? {I have no idea what I was thinking. I was trying to make the e4 pawn weak. 14. Nbd2 I needed that bishop to hold my light square pawns from things like ...f5 and ...h5 at some point.} 14... dxe4 15. Ne5 Nxe5 16. dxe5 {I was trying to keep the position closed for my knight ,continue to hold down the e5 break giving life to his R on e8 and hold the dark squares that my pawns on g4-h3 have left behind. } 16... Bc6 17. Nd2 {Finally! The knight comes out after all this time after the Q transfer occurred to defend the b2 pawn.}
17... e3 18. Bxe3 {All three options have to be considered and all are fine with their different pluses and minuses. I didn't like 18.fxe3 because I didn't like the looseness of the e5 pawn. I didn't like 18. Rxe3 because I thought Tony would have play on the d-file which by 18. Bxe3 I can re-arrange it to d4 and only let him have the c file. The differences are all negligible and just a matter of taste.} 18... Qa5 19. Bd4 Qd5 20. Qe4 Qe6
21. Qe3 {21. Qf4 is the move I originally leaned towards however I thought I could continue the crunch by playing f4 etc etc. Notably my plan didn't really work without me getting that rook on d1 involved which I failed to do for most of the game.} 21... b6 22. f4 {looks very weakening} Rad8 [22... h5] 23. Ne4 23. Qg3 {covering the g2 square} 23... Kh8 {I am not sure why.} 24. Ng5 {The threat is more powerful than the execution! I should have jumped my Q to g3 to get rid of any Qd5 threats and prepare at h-pawn rush. However I didn't want to re-arrange the knight and g5 looked like a very nice square and I couldn't see a clear plan after h6. I think the strong light-squared B gives Black plenty of compensation for the P.}
24... Qd5 25. Qe4 Qc4 26. Qe2 Qd5 {Praying for a draw against a much better opponent.} 27. Qe4 Qxe4 {Probably not objectively the best decision but Tony likes to fight in rapids. The Pf7 weakened by 24... Kh8 reduces Black's options} 28.
Nxe4 h6 29. Rad1 Kg8 30. Kh2 {Getting off that annoying diagonal and just generally placing my king nicely.} Bb7 31. Kg3 Rc8 32. h4 Red8 33. Nf2 Rd7?! 34. f5 [34. e6! Rdc7 35. exf7+ Kxf7 36. Bxg7 Where the e-pawn becomes indefensible.] 34... Rcd8 35. e6 {Not the optimal time}
35... fxe6 36. Rxe6 gxf5 37. Rg6 e5 38. Bxe5 fxg4 39. Rxd7? {39. Rxg7+ wins} Rxd7 40. Nxg4 Kh7 41. Rxg7+ Rxg7 42. Bxg7 Kxg7 43. Kf4 {The endgame here is winnable but it would take time and I didn't have time on the clock. However drawing took very little time at all.} Kg6 {14 Saragossa offers a draw (Lag: Av=1.01s, max=1.8s)
} 1/2-1/2

Tony Dowden
22-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Jono has made most of the salient 'outsider' observations for Game 9 here. Thanks mate!

My comments mainly relate to being an insider (that is, I played one side) and to psychology.

Every so often I play a rapid game that goes 'bad' on me and I don't have time to pull myself together and recover. Over the years it has occurred to me that this happens to my opponents too, so I try to pile on the pressure when I can. (I'm sure I've won many full points in rapid chess this way).

From my point of view this game didn't go at all well. I wanted to play a Gurgendize Modern Def but White cleverly steered it into a type of Exch Caro Kann that I didn't understand very well.

My ...Qb6, ...Ne4 and ...e5 moves were pseudo-aggressive improvisations but not connected to a rational plan.

The pawn sac was OK though - and even deep into the ending (cf final position) I think Black can hold without too much trouble.

It was crazy to reject the repetition but being a training game I felt I should play the position out. I quickly regretted this because I couldn't see how to hold up White's K-side initiative. For instance my ...Kh8 was a 'pass' move because I couldn't think of anything constructive except the overwhelming feeling that I was about to be crushed like a bug. (Which should have been the logical conclusion after the simple Rxg7+ shot I didn't see).

Overall I think White tended to have too much respect for my reputation when he could have done the damage over the board. If you have a really good position there are times when even a master can't hold it :cool:

Saragossa
28-12-2009, 05:32 PM
[Event "Friendly Game, 25m + 5s"]
[Date "2009.12.23"]
[Round "?"]
[White "TonyD"]
[Black "brendant"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[ECO "E20"]
[BlackElo "1652"]
[PlyCount "80"]
[EventDate "2009.12.23"]
[TimeControl "1500+5"]

1. d4 {0} d5 {Rats, I meant to play 1...Nf6. True story.} 2. c4 {5} e6 {10} 3. g3 {7} Nf6 {13} 4. Bg2 {3} Bb4+ {I was influenced by my game vs Kevin Bonham where he played this from the blackside and beat me.} 5.
Nc3 {13} O-O {62} 6. Nf3 {22} Nbd7 {123} 7. O-O {52} c6 {72} 8. Qb3 {113} Be7 {
12} 9. e4?! {Upon review I think this drops a pawn, admittedly with compensation but not enough for good defense. I'm not really experienced in these positions so I don't know a plan for white. I guess Bg5,Bf4,Bd2 are all playable as is e3 depending on style.} 9... Nxe4 {52} 10. Nxe4 {5} dxe4 {4} 11. Nd2 {11} c5!? {Not the best but still alright 11... f5 seems to hold up fine.} 12. d5 {48
} exd5 {12... f5 stills works, taking advantage of the undefendable pawn on e6} 13. cxd5 {7} Nb6 {25} 14. Bxe4 {20} Bh3 {101} 15. Rd1 {9} Qd6? {Bd6 is better.}
16. Nc4 {30} Nxc4 {24} 17. Qxc4 {3} f5? {I played this far too quickly. 17...Qb6 but white still has quite a comfortable game. } 18. Bf4! {15} Qa6 {Pretty much the only move.} 19. Bd3 {72}
Qxc4 {32} 20. Bxc4 {1} Bf6 {29} 21. d6+ {17} Kh8 {2} 22. d7 {19} Bd4 {79} 23.
Be3?! {23. Bc7 threating to queen wins the exchange.} Bxe3 {28} 24. fxe3 {3} Rad8 {55} 25. Be6 {27} Rf6 {24} 26. Rd6 {Even though it loses the exchange the best black has here is a draw.} f4
{41} 27. Bxh3 {1} Rxd6 {9} 28. exf4 {1} R8xd7 {28} 29. Bxd7 {2 brendant offers
a draw} Rxd7 {4} 30. Re1 {1} g6 {14} 31. Kf2 {26} Kg7 {36} 32. Re5 {12} Rd2+ {
63} 33. Re2 {6} Rd7 {110} 34. Kf3 {20} Kf6 {34} 35. g4 {5} Rd3+ {19} 36. Ke4 {4
} Rd4+ {2} 37. Ke3 {2} Rd7 {16} 38. Ke4 {17} Rd4+ {4} 39. Ke3 {2} Rd7 {2} 40.
Ke4 {1} Rd4+ {2 (Lag: Av=1.05s, max=1.9s)} 1/2-1/2

I probably played the ending innaccurately but I was pretty confident that I could draw. Maybe playing h6 rather than g6 presented less problems.

Missed chances from both sides so I suppose a draw was fair enough especially after my pyschological stuff up at move 1! The reason was: I thought that Tony would play the Trompovsky and I was going to play 2... d5 and I got a bit ahead of myself. lol.

I didn't really know what was going on most of this game except that I was supposed to be timing an eventual ...c5 and eventually get activity for my light squared bishop. Game 11 is much more interesting.

road runner
28-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Not sure if Black should be so eager for a draw here. Whatever small advantage exists here seems to be with Black. He has the queenside pawn majority, his king is ready to combat White's pawn majority while White's king is cut off from Black's along the file. Maybe launch the a-pawn, probing for a weakness.

Kevin Bonham
28-12-2009, 07:33 PM
I'd also play on a bit with black here, though perhaps not against an opponent rated 300+ points higher. :D But only because I have been through the experience of chickening out in a rated game in a vaguely similar position (except mine was 3-1 on each side not 3-2) and hearing for weeks how I had what few chances there were because I had the far-side majority.

Tony Dowden
29-12-2009, 12:46 PM
I probably played the ending innaccurately but I was pretty confident that I could draw. Maybe playing h6 rather than g6 presented less problems.

Missed chances from both sides so I suppose a draw was fair enough especially after my pyschological stuff up at move 1! The reason was: I thought that Tony would play the Trompovsky and I was going to play 2... d5 and I got a bit ahead of myself. lol.

I didn't really know what was going on most of this game except that I was supposed to be timing an eventual ...c5 and eventually get activity for my light squared bishop. Game 11 is much more interesting.

Not a great game! Some comments:

Yes I was going to play a Tromp against 1...Nf6 , so the k-side fianchetto agaisnt 1...d5 was a bail out option (since my knowledge of the QG is poor).

9.e4? was actually based on a miscalculation induced by playing too quickly (I'd been playing some on-line blitz prior to the game and didn't adjust to the slower tempo). White's position seemed to lack 'oomph' so I decided to ginger things up.

11..c5!? took me by surprise. I think its good after 12.d5 f5(!) but 12...exd5? is wrong.

15...Qd6?! surprised me as it seems obvious enough that Nc4 or Bf4 will hit the queen and allow the d-pawn to roll. (Queens are NOT good blackading pieces!)

I probably should have played 19.Qxa6 but I was hopeful of extra dynamic posibilities in Black's time pressure. (In the end I outfoxed myself by missing the pin along the third rank of my B against my R).

I also missed the strong defensive/offensive move 22...Bd4! (Among other things it prevents f2-f4 which would lock out the B on h3). Presumably my 22.d7(?!) wasn't the best then [maybe 22.Be3 is good] but with only a few minutes on the clock I played the 'natural' move.

I saw 23.Bc7 winning the exchange but I thought 23...f5 looked strong. I'd also seen as far as 25.Be6 and, at the time, thought it might be close to winning. (But when I got there I realized 25...Rf6 was a good defence).

I don't think there is much to play for in the (essentially level) final position. Especially as Black only had (several) seconds left!

Saragossa
31-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Sucks to be me. I annotated the second game we played that night Tony and I thought I posted it. There must have been an error or something, anyway I'll do it again today.

Tony Dowden
31-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Sucks to be me. I annotated the second game we played that night Tony and I thought I posted it. There must have been an error or something, anyway I'll do it again today.

OK, up to you :)

michael.mcguirk
01-01-2010, 02:06 PM
19. Qxa6 bxa6 20.d6 fxe4 21.fxe7 Rfe8 22. Bd6 Rac8 23. Rac1 c4 24. g3

I'm sure there's something obvious I'm missing, but what's wrong with that?

road runner
01-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Assuming you meant 21.dxe7 and 24.b3

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. But there's nothing wrong with the game continuation either, until white missed the ...f4 motif.

that Caesar guy
01-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Not sure if Black should be so eager for a draw here. Whatever small advantage exists here seems to be with Black. He has the queenside pawn majority, his king is ready to combat White's pawn majority while White's king is cut off from Black's along the file. Maybe launch the a-pawn, probing for a weakness.
To be honest, unless I was playing a rabbit, I would offer a draw with either colour. It seems perfectly dead to me: its actually quite hard to make a passed pawn on the queenside because of the awkward position of pieces for black.

Capablanca-Fan
01-01-2010, 10:56 PM
I agree. And if Black can make a passed P, it will be the c-pawn which is not very "outside".

michael.mcguirk
01-01-2010, 11:56 PM
Assuming you meant 21.dxe7 and 24.b3

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. But there's nothing wrong with the game continuation either, until white missed the ...f4 motif.

Hmm... You can tell my game records aren't going to be very accurate for the Australian Major :hmm:

road runner
02-01-2010, 06:46 AM
To be honest, unless I was playing a rabbit, I would offer a draw with either colour. It seems perfectly dead to me: its actually quite hard to make a passed pawn on the queenside because of the awkward position of pieces for black.
And if you were a 1600 playing a training game?

that Caesar guy
02-01-2010, 09:31 AM
And if you were a 1600 playing a training game?
The fact that I'm now 1600 over 2150 doesn't change the fact that the position is dead drawn. Still, unless I was playing someone I knew had very little knowledge of the ending, a draw is a fair result.
edit: As for the training game, well, I might play on for about 3 or 4 more moves to see what happens, but again, I would offer a draw. Training game or not, if it's drawn, its drawn :P

Tony Dowden
02-01-2010, 12:21 PM
The fact that I'm now 1600 over 2150 doesn't change the fact that the position is dead drawn. Still, unless I was playing someone I knew had very little knowledge of the ending, a draw is a fair result.
edit: As for the training game, well, I might play on for about 3 or 4 more moves to see what happens, but again, I would offer a draw. Training game or not, if it's drawn, its drawn :P

Thanks for your comments James!

I thought it was dead drawn the moment he gave back the exchange. However he was very short of time so I thought I'd make him play a few moves (good training afterall ;) )