PDA

View Full Version : Moderation: questions, discussion and completely pointless whinging

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]

ER
04-04-2020, 05:40 AM
Any chance to remove nonsensical comments about the nationality of a single hard working individual branding him as a potential terrorist from the Welfare Spending thread?

Patrick Byrom
04-04-2020, 11:16 AM
Any chance to remove nonsensical comments about the nationality of a single hard working individual branding him as a potential terrorist from the Welfare Spending thread?Ian's final comment is off-topic. But you introduced the student's nationality into the discussion. If he was a foreign student, the visa restrictions pointed out by Ian would be very relevant to a welfare thread. As he's not, he's proof that Aussie students are just as hard-working as overseas ones, which is again relevant to the thread.

Kevin Bonham
04-04-2020, 12:25 PM
I've deleted the comment for now pending possible further consideration - I'm sure the comment was a comment about attitudes (especially of some right-wing individuals) to people from overseas and not a serious assertion that the person is or could be a terrorist. But in circumstances where enough information has been posted in earlier posts about a person who does not post here to identify them, it may be best to err on the side of caution with such comments.

ER
17-04-2020, 08:50 AM
Not really enthused about a fellow chess chatter getting banned even for a short period of time!
However, on the other hand he hasn't come up with any sound analogy (*) for donk's years
That's despite boisterously boasting about this (obviously waning) "special" ability of his!
Mellowing down, and / or compromising with the establishment as he gets older is not really an excuse so suffer! :D :P

(*) Well I have to admit that was a fair dinkum try though:

Michael you could give me a job as off sider in a mechanical garage. I guarantee you nuts would be rounded off, every thing battered and bruised like my hands, tools and temper. Whereas I would be an instant expert in a fruit n veggie shop. Now would you force me into a mechanical shop?

:D :P

Patrick Byrom
23-04-2020, 01:37 PM
Does this ruling also apply to the promotion of unproven treatments for the virus:

As noted on the coronavirus thread, the posting of silly conspiracy theories or fake news relating to the virus will not be tolerated until such time as the virus ceases to be a public health emergency.

Capablanca-Fan has now promoted hydroxychloroquine twice - once in the Shoutbox and again today:

... But if doctors were allowed to prescribe hydroxychloroquine for anyone who tests positive and was willing to take the stuff (as malaria and lupus patients have been doing for 60 years), then they may never need hospitalization in the first place. HCQ works by hindering viruses from entering cells, so is best given early. It also has an anti-inflammatory effect, which is why it is prescribed for autoimmune conditions like lupus and RA, and in this case should hinder the immune overreaction called a cytokine storm that can do more tissue damage than the pathogens. Whether HCQ should be prescribed should be up to patients and their doctors, not forbidden on high because Orange Man Bad.

Despite the evidence that it is no better, and probably worse, than current treatments (https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/22/trump-hydroxychloroquine-study-coronavirus):

The malaria drug showed no benefit in a relatively large trial of its use at US veterans hospitals. An analysis showed that nearly a third of veterans at US military hospitals died when treated with hydroxychloroquine, a greater fraction than patients who received standard treatment. “These findings highlight the importance of awaiting the results of ongoing prospective, randomized, controlled studies before widespread adoption of these drugs,” researchers wrote.

I think mentioning it is fair enough, but not hyping it as a miracle cure.

Kevin Bonham
23-04-2020, 09:10 PM
Does this ruling also apply to the promotion of unproven treatments for the virus:

As noted on the coronavirus thread, the posting of silly conspiracy theories or fake news relating to the virus will not be tolerated until such time as the virus ceases to be a public health emergency.

If it's something extremely stupid (eg "drinking alcohol will make you immune to coronavirus") and/or obviously dangerous to readers (eg "My doctor recommends drinking fishtank cleaner if you have COVID-19") I'll delete it but if it's just people debating dubious treatments or even more dubious policy responses then generally not.

The main point of the ruling is that there's a close relationship between conspiracy theories/deliberate fake news and unstable racist behaviour at times like this, so I don't want this site to be a vector for such stuff.

Patrick Byrom
23-04-2020, 09:25 PM
If it's something extremely stupid (eg "drinking alcohol will make you immune to coronavirus") and/or obviously dangerous to readers (eg "My doctor recommends drinking fishtank cleaner if you have COVID-19") I'll delete it but if it's just people debating dubious treatments or even more dubious policy responses then generally not. The main point of the ruling is that there's a close relationship between conspiracy theories/deliberate fake news and unstable racist behaviour at times like this, so I don't want this site to be a vector for such stuff.Fair enough. Although I consider this claim by Capablanca-Fan to be both stupid and dangerous: "But if doctors were allowed to prescribe hydroxychloroquine for anyone who tests positive and was willing to take the stuff (as malaria and lupus patients have been doing for 60 years), then they may never need hospitalization in the first place."

Kevin Bonham
24-04-2020, 10:34 AM
Note: Capablanca-Fan replied to the above post both on this thread and on the coronavirus thread (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?17880-Wuhan-Coronavirus&p=465415&viewfull=1#post465415) - it is often difficult for a poster to know what to do when another poster engages with the substance of an issue while proposing moderation of it. I've deleted the copy from this thread while posting this post as a link to the reply.

antichrist
15-05-2020, 09:27 PM
Dr. Moderator, I wish to post a suggestion that has moderating only as a backdrop. It does contain what could be perceived to be a comment on modding but that is not it's intention. It's like a Venn diagram of three circles one being suggestive of a classical figure for your blog. Cheers.

Kevin Bonham
16-05-2020, 12:03 AM
Dr. Moderator, I wish to post a suggestion that has moderating only as a backdrop. It does contain what could be perceived to be a comment on modding but that is not it's intention. It's like a Venn diagram of three circles one being suggestive of a classical figure for your blog. Cheers.

Yep OK it can go in Frank and Fearless in the coffee lounge. That thread is open again now by the way.

Ian Murray
19-05-2020, 08:47 AM
Moderation Notice

I'll be carrying more of antichrist's posts out of here in disembodied pieces - or perhaps taking stronger action - if he doesn't stop posting off-topic. Posts deleted.

I think he misread Turley for Turkey

antichrist
19-05-2020, 09:52 AM
I did too

Kevin Bonham
19-05-2020, 10:38 AM
I'm sure he did but even if it had been an on-topic reference to Turkey his comment in response would still have been off-topic. And a moment's care in reading the post mentioning Turley would have seen that it did not make sense to think of it as referring to a country.

antichrist
19-05-2020, 10:45 AM
The pun was that of course Turkey did know what was going on and they had extensive video of it that went viral. Sorry in this thread.

ER
17-06-2020, 03:02 PM
However this is not an invitation of some of the luridly silly posts about trans issues we have seen from one member in the past

Hm could you please be more specific re who that member might be? :D :P

I am only asking because I might have been involved in some kind of discussion as described in the quotation above on the SSM thread!

Kevin Bonham
17-06-2020, 05:49 PM
Hm could you please be more specific re who that member might be? :D :P

I am only asking because I might have been involved in some kind of discussion as described in the quotation above on the SSM thread!

It's not you.

MichaelBaron
18-06-2020, 09:42 AM
Some post has been ''considered'' as inappropriate due to the fact that it was initially made by a ''convicted white supremacist'. I am wondering: If there is a post sharing say George Floyd's prison inmates's sweet recollections of angel-like behavior while in prision - it should be considered as inappropriate or not.

Kevin Bonham
18-06-2020, 09:50 AM
Some post has been ''considered'' as inappropriate due to the fact that it was initially made by a ''convicted white supremacist'.

That's not even anything like what I said (or even what the person objecting said); go back and read the notice again, much more slowly and carefully this time.

I am wondering: If there is a post sharing say George Floyd's prison inmates's sweet recollections of angel-like behavior while in prision - it should be considered as inappropriate or not.

I don't see why it would be deleted. My concern is that CC not be used as a vector for racist hate sites.

antichrist
19-06-2020, 06:50 AM
SPECIAL PERMISSION
On the death of Vera Lynn at 103 can we bend the no song rule in Shoutbox rule and spread the nostalgia of 4 generations ago when the civilised world was in gloom. I realise she doesn't fit into current genres of punk and hiphop and rap. Basil will become homesick.

Kevin Bonham
19-06-2020, 09:58 AM
SPECIAL PERMISSION
On the death of Vera Lynn at 103 can we bend the no song rule in Shoutbox rule and spread the nostalgia of 4 generations ago when the civilised world was in gloom. I realise she doesn't fit into current genres of punk and hiphop and rap. Basil will become homesick.

Agreed.

Note also: I've deleted a shout containing the word "leftard". This word and similar expressions for the other side such as "RWNJ" are not to be used in the shoutbox.

antichrist
23-06-2020, 02:11 AM
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18059-Ian-Rogers-Sun-Herald-column/page2

Dr Moderator, it is not often that we have a thread commenced by a GM about another local GM where everything was going okay. My hot and cold mate misinterpreted a few times my intentions and actions thus dragging the thread into a UFC contest. I think we loosely interpret the non topic rule that one diversionary comment can be briefly made and one similar reply and that's about it. Not to downgrade the thread as has now occurred.

Kevin Bonham
23-06-2020, 02:21 AM
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18059-Ian-Rogers-Sun-Herald-column/page2

Dr Moderator, it is not often that we have a thread commenced by a GM about another local GM where everything was going okay. My hot and cold mate misinterpreted a few times my intentions and actions thus dragging the thread into a UFC contest. I think we loosely interpret the non topic rule that one diversionary comment can be briefly made and one similar reply and that's about it. Not to downgrade the thread as has now occurred.

Both of you need to stop replying to each other with trashy stuff on quality threads. I'm out of patience with cleaning it up. I'm getting close-ish to banning both of you from replying to each other across the entire site.

Daniel.Muller
06-07-2020, 02:57 PM
Hello Mr.Bonham,
I am just wondering as a forum with very well history, what is the penalty of a user who badmouths and insult people?

Kevin Bonham
06-07-2020, 05:52 PM
Hello Mr.Bonham,
I am just wondering as a forum with very well history, what is the penalty of a user who badmouths and insult people?

There is no standard penalty for insulting or badmouthing people on this forum. For example, we do not penalise people for insulting others if there is good reason for doing so, nor usually if there are chains of insults that develop between users with different views who are both willing parties in the conflict. We will usually take the circumstances into account.

As concerns the posts that you complained about, they may or may not stay removed, and there may or may not be further directions to members regarding further similar situations, but I have already decided that no other action will be taken against the posters involved as they had reasonable concerns in the circumstances.

PS My title is Dr not Mr.

Kevin Bonham
06-07-2020, 05:58 PM
Post removed

I have temporarily removed one post from this thread as I have not seen official confirmation of the content. If a player has recently been banned, I would appreciate it if the club concerned could contact me to confirm this.

b.nancarrow
06-07-2020, 06:26 PM
Post removed

I have temporarily removed one post from this thread as I have not seen official confirmation of the content. If a player has recently been banned, I would appreciate it if the club concerned could contact me to confirm this.

I would appreciate it if you could could contact the club to confirm this. :)

Kevin Bonham
06-07-2020, 07:10 PM
I would appreciate it if you could could contact the club to confirm this. :)

Hey, I've already gone beyond the call of duty by signing up to their Facebook so I can watch for official announcements. :P

Seriously, guarding this forum against potential defamation actions is extremely important. For that reason the burden is on posters who want to make these claims publicly to ensure that they are either relying on a finding that is in the public domain or confirmed to site staff by reliable sources, or else that the evidence they present is absolutely overwhelming to the point that we could clearly rely on it in court if we had to. Not our job to fill in these gaps.

b.nancarrow
06-07-2020, 09:06 PM
Hey, I've already gone beyond the call of duty by signing up to their Facebook so I can watch for official announcements. :P

Seriously, guarding this forum against potential defamation actions is extremely important. For that reason the burden is on posters who want to make these claims publicly to ensure that they are either relying on a finding that is in the public domain or confirmed to site staff by reliable sources, or else that the evidence they present is absolutely overwhelming to the point that we could clearly rely on it in court if we had to. Not our job to fill in these gaps.

Understand. Thank you for the clarification.

MichaelBaron
08-07-2020, 02:05 PM

What if someone makes a post containing factual information (e.g. engine analysis of a chess game) and invites users to consider what happened...would there be any grounds to have the post removed?
e.g. '' The following is the game that I played against Mr X. analyzed by Stockfish.'' Based on the analysis...the first line of the engine has been matched x%....'' etc. ?

Kevin Bonham
08-07-2020, 05:18 PM
What if someone makes a post containing factual information (e.g. engine analysis of a chess game) and invites users to consider what happened...would there be any grounds to have the post removed?
e.g. '' The following is the game that I played against Mr X. analyzed by Stockfish.'' Based on the analysis...the first line of the engine has been matched x%....'' etc. ?

There might be grounds for removal if the post appeared to imply cheating (whether that was the poster's intention or not) even if it didn't explicitly say there was cheating. In defamation law what matters is not what is literally said, but what a reasonable reader could think was being conveyed. A question can be interpreted as a statement.

To give a non-chess example "Mr Z's wife left the house this morning with two black eyes. How do you think that happened?" would be interpreted as a nudge-nudge-wink-wink suggestion that Mr Z bashed his wife, and could be defamatory.

antichrist
11-07-2020, 01:12 PM
Deleted thread started by antichrist to parody the "Policing of Indigenous offenders" thread. I could not tell whether the parody thread was intended as a kind of moderation complaint and even if it wasn't it contained no actual content and was in a subject area where antichrist has form and has long ago been warned not to start new threads. Had AC made any attempt to make a substantial point that the Australian justice or policing systems display bias in either direction concerning any non-Indigenous ethnicity things might have been different but that was not the case.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr Moderator, We both missed one variation, me that should not make new threads on certain issue and yourself the flavour of the creator of thread on Indigenous Policing. Call it a draw. Regards.

Kevin Bonham
11-07-2020, 02:52 PM
The thread wasn't created by Michael. I created it as a thread-split from the welfare spending thread to move such discussions out of there and stop them derailing that thread, and I used the title to describe the content of the split discussions as accurately as I could. It's open to people who want to take any position on the issue ranging from policing of Indigenous offenders being too lenient to it being too harsh, and it's also open to claims about Indigenous crime rates being higher or lower than crime rates generally. If you find it offensive that people are taking a particular point of view on these issues, feel free to criticise that view.

ER
13-07-2020, 08:26 PM
May I ask what AC's traumatic young age experience or boasting about his verbal and/or physical triumphs over other delinquent youths, have to do with Policing of Indigenous Offenders?

Kevin Bonham
13-07-2020, 11:37 PM
May I ask what AC's traumatic young age experience or boasting about his verbal and/or physical triumphs over other delinquent youths, have to do with Policing of Indigenous Offenders?

I'm struggling quite a bit with that too. He appears to be countering Michael's claim that Indigenous crime results from lack of responsibility by arguing that it results from racism, and using a claim that racism is/was widespread against other races to argue that it is even worse for Indigenous people, but it is a big stretch and does seem like any excuse for a boast. I'll try to keep an eye on it.

Capablanca-Fan
16-07-2020, 12:04 PM
Typo in thread title Medical Secuirty Policy & Protocol for Upcoming Over the Board Chess Events (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18103-FIDE-Medical-Secuirty-Policy-amp-Protocol-for-Upcoming-Over-the-Board-Chess-Events) (Secuirty → Security).

ER
16-07-2020, 12:35 PM
I find the term nazi (capitalised for additional emphasis) by chatter Antichrist to describe the political system of China, completely irrelevant, out of touch and of extremely bad taste on the Money Matters #656 thread.

We need to stay economically strong which means trading with China so that we can finance military forces against "NAZI" (*) China. Seeing the light bloody time too.
The same chatter who never misses a chance to hijack serious threads with non evidenced and completely irrelevant comments has used the term "commo" and "communist" to describe China in other threads.
Doesn't really make sense does it?
(*) Maybe "authoritarian" or even "Nazi like" could be more appropriate if it could actually
improve an otherwise entirely incomprehensible sentence!
I very much doubt he understands the usage of inverted commas either.

antichrist
16-07-2020, 02:54 PM
Dr Moderator, I regret distracting your time but NAZI was used as it is initials representing words and not for emphasis. There are traits how the China regime and NAZI regime are similar or having similar consequences but that is not for this thread of course. Both socialist/communist by name, dictatorial, expansionist and hegemonic.

Patrick Byrom
16-07-2020, 03:52 PM
Surely "totalitarian" is the correct word to describe China's political system. And using double quotes as scare quotes is confusing - I'd recommend single quotes for that purpose.

Kevin Bonham
16-07-2020, 05:40 PM
I find the term nazi (capitalised for additional emphasis) by chatter Antichrist to describe the political system of China, completely irrelevant, out of touch and of extremely bad taste on the Money Matters #656 thread.

Complaint upheld and post by antichrist deleted.

The Money Matters thread is primarily for discussion of investments, personal financial decisions, stock markets etc - it is not a politics thread. From time to time it will necessarily spill over into politics through natural thread drift and this is a case where it was doing so. But that is not an excuse for trashing the thread with Nazi comparisons in any form, and in general Nazi comparisons should be kept to a minimum unless strongly justified. The thread for discussing China's political behaviour is here:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?17433-China-and-totalitarianism

Desmond
17-07-2020, 11:43 AM
Speaking of posts that shouldn't be in that thread, perhaps ER should put his personal musings with an intended audience of 1 somewhere other than a public forum. A word document on his PC, perhaps?

Hasn't fallen one cent below 50% profit since bought at $2.00 apiece.
The way it goes it will beat my record BHP profit making (bought at $8.50 when the deal with Billiton was made - sold at $32.30)

All of the above are notes to myself and under no circumstances to be taken as suggestions, or advice to anyone!

idledim
17-07-2020, 09:16 PM
Speaking of posts that shouldn't be in that thread, perhaps ER should put his personal musings with an intended audience of 1 somewhere other than a public forum. A word document on his PC, perhaps?

As for me, I'm happy to tell anyone who'll listen how i bought cardboard when it was 14 cents a ton.... so I bought a ton of the stuff!
When it got to 17 cents I sold the lot, put a downpayment on a comb - and never looked back.

b.nancarrow
17-07-2020, 10:44 PM
As for me, I'm happy to tell anyone who'll listen how i bought cardboard when it was 14 cents a ton.... so I bought a ton of the stuff!
When it got to 17 cents I sold the lot, put a downpayment on a comb - and never looked back.

You must kick yourself.

Desmond
20-07-2020, 08:10 PM

And after regaling this story to them, do you then shout at them not to listen and that you're just talking to yourself? Do they then back away slowly and give you looks suggesting a presumption that you may be psychotic or on narcotics?

idledim
21-07-2020, 09:25 AM
And after regaling this story to them, do you then shout at them not to listen and that you're just talking to yourself? Do they then back away slowly and give you looks suggesting a presumption that you may be psychotic or on narcotics?

.... which reminds me: I must get my piano tuned.

ER
26-07-2020, 10:47 AM
Not that I mind the troll personally trolling me I just ignore him and follow the golden rule "never feed the troll"! However, applying his moronic attempts of "humour" in a
very serious matter as that discussed in the Public Health thread surpasses the limits of logic getting deep into the territory of malicious weirdness. Please bring him back to order, thanks in advance!

antichrist
26-07-2020, 11:09 AM
Not that I mind the troll personally trolling me I just ignore him and follow the golden rule "never feed the troll"! However, applying his moronic attempts of "humour" in a
very serious matter as that discussed in the Public Health thread surpasses the limits of logic getting deep into the territory of malicious weirdness. Please bring him back to order, thanks in advance!

i prefer not to see FFS on the board. My off topic reference to it was a moderation complaint

Kevin Bonham
26-07-2020, 11:56 AM
i prefer not to see FFS on the board. My off topic reference to it was a moderation complaint

And as I have repeated over and over again, and even included in my sigfile in the hope that people are constantly reminded, moderation complaints must be made in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. When people make moderation complaints on the thread in question, it is now my standard practice to ignore the complaint unless I see no alternative to upholding it.

Had I been aware it was intended as a moderation complaint at the time I saw it, the punishment would have been harsher.

ER
26-07-2020, 02:12 PM
The last decision is blatantly wrong. I commented about the politicians involved as in Fed coalition vs Victoria's Labor. What sort of co-operation would I expect from the troll, and what tackling of the "horrific" situation could his clueless trolling could contribute to? Please re-consider the decision. I repeal that I did not comment on it!

Kevin Bonham
26-07-2020, 02:34 PM
The last decision is blatantly wrong. I commented about the politicians involved as in Fed coalition vs Victoria's Labor. What sort of co-operation would I expect from the troll, and what tackling of the "horrific" situation could his clueless trolling could contribute to? Please re-consider the decision. I repeal that I did not comment on it!

Ah, I took your "About time!!!" (or something like that, which I then edited out) to be in reply to me disciplining antichrist and didn't realise it was actually be a comment on what you were posting below.

As a result it is now back the way it was; AC is banned from the thread for two weeks and the thread is re-opened. Apologies for that!

ER
26-07-2020, 02:37 PM
Thanks. I apologize too for not making my post clear in the first place! Cheers!

antichrist
28-07-2020, 02:57 PM
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18120-Violence-amp-Crime-in-Australian-Society-Non-Political

the last post here could be construed as an adv for Sydney Criminal Lawyers - a commercial outfit. Make them pay for the privilege.

Kevin Bonham
28-07-2020, 04:39 PM
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18120-Violence-amp-Crime-in-Australian-Society-Non-Political

the last post here could be construed as an adv for Sydney Criminal Lawyers - a commercial outfit. Make them pay for the privilege.

No more so than the reproduction of a newspaper image or link to a newspaper is an ad for the newspaper. People are welcome to reproduce content from commercial organisations if it appears relevant.

ER
02-08-2020, 04:41 AM
It is not the first time that the moronic troll, lacking any meaningful criticism points to make in posts resorts to personal attacks.
I find the post below made earlier this morning on the "Even Criminals are Laughing at our ''Crime and Punishment'' System :)" one of wanton and malignant nature, exceeding any limits of social media rules of discourse reaching defamatory status.
I kindly and without prejudice ask for it to be removed and appropriate measures to be taken so the troll realises that he doesn't have a free license to personally attack fellow chatters in such a blatant and vulgar way.
Thanks in advance!

antichrist
02-08-2020, 07:33 AM
If posters refrained from referring to people as human garbage then everything would be more calm.

Kevin Bonham
02-08-2020, 10:45 AM
If posters refrained from referring to people as human garbage then everything would be more calm.

Yeah it's not a pretext for a general personal attack that is 100% off-topic (wishing that airline travel was a crime doesn't make it one). I see you've deleted the post but consider yourself warned not to do it again.

ER
03-08-2020, 06:08 PM

The guy is getting delirious, I am afraid moderation won't do him any good, he definitely needs a psychiatrist! :D :P

ER
05-08-2020, 05:15 AM
I understand the logic and necessity behind the last warning which in a completely justified manner includes myself. (*)
From this moment onward I will never respond directly to the silly troll's unsubstantiated and clueless attempts to provoke me.
In case my opinion is expressed in threads he "contributes" on with his nonsense, it will be totally unrelated to his participating there.
That of course includes cases in which the loquacious troll quotes my posts by ID name in order to state his nonsensical and totally unrelated crap as he did in the most recent BLM thread!

(*) Moderation, Rules and Decisions thread.

antichrist
12-08-2020, 08:41 PM
Dr Moderator, M Baron post 45 in Chinese Professionals thread gratuitously denigrated Australian indigenous people. The Aborigines have zero to do with the thread.

antichrist
13-08-2020, 09:25 AM
Dr Moderator, M Baron post 45 in Chinese Professionals thread gratuitously denigrated Australian indigenous people. The Aborigines have zero to do with the thread.

May I refer to LGBTQ and others in such an ad hoc, irrelevant and irreverent manner?

Kevin Bonham
13-08-2020, 04:46 PM

Dr Moderator agrees - see notice on thread.

May I refer to LGBTQ and others in such an ad hoc, irrelevant and irreverent manner?

No you (especially) may bloody well not.

MichaelBaron
13-08-2020, 05:32 PM
Kevin:
''And in general I am reluctant to allow whataboutery that involves using Indigenous people as an example anyway,''
I trust the comment is based on relevance to the thread rather than that using Indigenous people as an example as opposed to any other people/group?

MichaelBaron
13-08-2020, 05:36 PM

My comment referred to the fact that in the Indigenous communities - there is ongoing abuse of females and statistical data to support that claim is well-known and has already been quoted in other threads. I was referring to the Indigenous the way i would refer to any other Ethnic group that could be singled out for high levels of abuse etc. Note that I was responding to claims that Professional migrants are contributing to crime in Australia and my point is - in professional migrant communities abuse rate is certainly nowhere as high as in some other groups.

Kevin Bonham
13-08-2020, 09:33 PM
Kevin:
''And in general I am reluctant to allow whataboutery that involves using Indigenous people as an example anyway,''
I trust the comment is based on relevance to the thread rather than that using Indigenous people as an example as opposed to any other people/group?

The rest of the sentence said "except if there is some particularly good reason to use that example." Sometimes there is but in this case it was clearly off-topic since what was being discussed was comparative rates of breaches of COVID laws.

In general I will aim to stop the politics threads from all turning into indistinguishable culture wars about the same things, and try to keep them more specific to their actual subjects. Posters dragging in pet issues that are discussed elsewhere is one of the major causes of this problem.

Kevin Bonham
14-08-2020, 07:30 AM
Stop this rubbish

For making a boasting post incorrectly claiming that he had manipulated me into making a decision a certain way (which has been deleted), antichrist is completely banned from commenting on moderation anywhere on the board, including this decision, for two months. Any ambiguous comment by antichrist that appears to be possibly a comment about moderation in that time will be assumed to be one.

Other users may comment about this decision if they like, but if they are frequent adversaries of antichrist and gloat about it they will be banned from commenting about moderation for six months.

ER
17-08-2020, 04:11 PM
Continuous off topic rubbish on Crime and Violence thread. Please consider action!

ER
19-08-2020, 01:33 PM
Continuous off topic rubbish on Crime and Violence thread. Please consider action!

Another irrelevant, nonsensical, thoughtless, stupid and surprise - surprise off - topic example of
"I am here show me some attention please" by the old weak minded troll in the
Crime and Violence thread. Please consider ways to restrict him.

As I clearly stated in #1807 of this thread,

"From this moment onward I will never respond directly to the silly troll's unsubstantiated and clueless attempts to provoke me.
In case my opinion is expressed in threads he "contributes" on with his nonsense, it will be totally unrelated to his participating there.
That of course includes cases in which the loquacious troll quotes my posts by ID name in order to state his nonsensical and totally unrelated crap as he did in the most recent BLM thread!

As such, the above is not directed to him personally since his attempts to provoke me to the point of responding directly (on thread) to his off-topic dribble
fall straight into the "don't feed the troll" category. So, I do not mind him trolling me, but his repetitive and boring nonsense should not be
allowed to affect serious, well researched and evidenced material published by his fellow chatters. It's neither good for thematic threads nor for the forum's prestige in general!

Kevin Bonham
19-08-2020, 01:52 PM
Post deleted

To make it clear that antichrist may not even make anything that looks like it might be a comment about moderation for two months, antichrist is banned from posting on this thread at all , or commenting on anything posted on this thread at all, until 14 October.

ER
29-08-2020, 12:53 PM
Another threadjack attempt by the troll. What does Crime and Violence in Australia #48 have to with the penal codes of China or US or what have you? :rolleyes:
There are other more relevant threads of his own design readily available to accommodate his uncontrollable, unsubstantiated and as such irrelevant verbal diarrhea!

Kevin Bonham
29-08-2020, 02:33 PM
Another threadjack attempt by the troll. What does Crime and Violence in Australia #48 have to with the penal codes of China or US or what have you? :rolleyes:
There are other more relevant threads of his own design readily available to accommodate his uncontrollable, unsubstantiated and as such irrelevant verbal diarrhea!

Acceptable thread drift as he was making a relevant reply to an expression of support for the death penalty. If the discussion continues it may be moved to an existing death penalty thread.

Kevin Bonham
03-09-2020, 10:20 AM
Please do not post images of posts on this thread

If I decide to delete a post of which an image has been posted, I will often have to delete the image of the post as well, which creates unnecessary work for me.

Therefore, posting images of posts to this thread is not allowed.

(The reported post has been deleted - I don't know if it was actually racist or sexist but it was gratuitously grotty.)

ER
03-09-2020, 10:28 AM
oh ok, I will not post images of posts ever again on this thread.
However, the removed post was re-posted by the troll on post #37, so now it's like it was never removed!

Kevin Bonham
03-09-2020, 10:32 AM
Deleted that one too (sigh).

ER
14-09-2020, 10:02 AM
I have noticed that whenever I use Twitter as a source to post material on this forum a plethora of unrelated stories follow the one intended for here.
Those stories and comments following them might include content not acceptable by ChessChat's rules and regulations. Any suggestions how to avoid that?
I am thinking of stopping posting material from Twitter all together if need be!

Kevin Bonham
14-09-2020, 01:56 PM
I have noticed that whenever I use Twitter as a source to post material on this forum a plethora of unrelated stories follow the one intended for here.
Those stories and comments following them might include content not acceptable by ChessChat's rules and regulations. Any suggestions how to avoid that?
I am thinking of stopping posting material from Twitter all together if need be!

As I understand it (and I tested this by opening links in an incognito window) the link to a Twitter item will show replies, but it will only show further tweets that are not replies (or replies to replies) if the reader is logged into Twitter. As such that aspect isn't a problem. Even if my understanding is incorrect, the non-reply tweets are well down in the screen so it doesn't concern me.

As for cases where the lead item is OK but some of the replies to it from other posters are not, I think generally people understand that there's a difference between a primary article and comments that are posted on it, and also offensive comments often have warnings from Twitter itself. If someone posts a link to an item that is OK but has attracted dodgy comments they won't be sanctioned for it; in extreme cases I might delete the link or add a warning.

ER
14-09-2020, 03:46 PM
Makes sense, thanks for your time, cheers!

ER
14-09-2020, 05:48 PM
removed post, apologies!

ER
21-09-2020, 06:59 PM
There was a moderation notice at Donald Trump's thread post #630 01-06-20 that a poster should cut down on chess related posts on non chess sections (and daft comments in general)
I see that on post #779 today 21-09-20 (Donald Trump's thread again), the same poster has posted a comment which fits in both of the above categories (chess and daft)
Does that mean
i) that the warning issued has been waived and
ii) that he and the rest of us can now post chess related (and occasionally daft) comments in non chess related threads?
Thanks in advance!

Kevin Bonham
21-09-2020, 08:10 PM
There was a moderation notice at Donald Trump's thread post #630 01-06-20 that a poster should cut down on chess related posts on non chess sections (and daft comments in general)
I see that on post #779 today 21-09-20 (Donald Trump's thread again), the same poster has posted a comment which fits in both of the above categories (chess and daft)
Does that mean
i) that the warning issued has been waived and
ii) that he and the rest of us can now post chess related (and occasionally daft) comments in non chess related threads?
Thanks in advance!

"cut down" doesn't necessarily mean eliminate; he'll get away with the odd one now and then (as would anyone) but the warning still applies.

Nonetheless as the post was both irrelevant and bragging, it has been deleted.

ER
16-10-2020, 06:55 PM
wanton use of of the N word in post #201 - Crime and Violence in Australia thread!

Kevin Bonham
16-10-2020, 07:08 PM
wanton use of of the N word in post #201 - Crime and Violence in Australia thread!

I think you meant the Homeless People thread. I deleted the post for containing a request for moderation posted in the wrong place, so I didn't have to consider whether the use of the N word was appropriate.

ER
16-10-2020, 07:26 PM
Oh ok thanks, I hadn't noticed the perfectly justified posts' move to the right thread!

ER
17-10-2020, 05:29 AM
I understand, although I utterly abhor, the silly and clueless troll's plight to use all sorts of dirty tricks, in order to support his baseless and unevidenced nonsense.
However, I am not going to tolerate personal and utterly false attacks on matters concerning my professional career in various positions including
my producer's job with SBS spanning the best part of two decades and of which I am justifiably proud of.
I have kept my promise never to respond directly to his nonsensical dribbling, based upon the very sound advice, "don't feed the troll(s)" which I am not intending to change.
I am talking specifically about his post #212 on the homeless thread. Your understanding and measure taking in order to correct this situation is kindly requested! Thanks in advance

ER
17-10-2020, 08:07 AM
I understand, although I utterly abhor, the silly and clueless troll's plight to use all sorts of dirty tricks, in order to support his baseless and unevidenced nonsense.
However, I am not going to tolerate personal and utterly false attacks on matters concerning my professional career in various positions including
my producer's job with SBS spanning the best part of two decades and of which I am justifiably proud of.
I have kept my promise never to respond directly to his nonsensical dribbling, based upon the very sound advice, "don't feed the troll(s)" which I am not intending to change.
I am talking specifically about his post #212 on the homeless thread. Your understanding and measure taking in order to correct this situation is kindly requested! Thanks in advance

Having anticipated the coward's way out by the troll who thought he has eliminated the evidence by removing his dribble, I have actually e-mailed you a copy!

antichrist
17-10-2020, 05:59 PM
from Homeless thread:
Moderation Notice

I am considering whether to take further action about it but for the time being antichrist is completely banned from making any further reference to ER's professional activities anywhere on the board, and any case of him doing so will result in an immediate full-site ban.

Also I have removed some unnecessary coarse language from a post. I shouldn't have to remind people that it is our responsibility to keep the board free of such stuff so that it does not deter parents from letting their children read the forum. In future I will be deleting posts containing such language - when used without good reason - entirely.

Any discussion of these decisions may occur in the Help and Feedback section only.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that referring to people as garbage as unacceptable and that parents would object to such. Truly the only other place I have noticed such term is historical films of a certain person in Germany eighty five years ago.

b.nancarrow
17-10-2020, 10:59 PM
I think that referring to people as garbage as unacceptable and that parents would object to such. Truly the only other place I have noticed such term is historical films of a certain person in Germany eighty five years ago.

Totally agree, and surprised it was left unmoderated.

Kevin Bonham
17-10-2020, 11:26 PM
I just removed two of the "garbage" posts because of a potential defamation issue. I'm considering the others and whether they breach any existing forum rules. Note we have a specific agreement with the site owner re keeping a lid on swearing for the reason stated.

antichrist
03-11-2020, 10:29 PM
I think horse transport is considered more cruel than horse racing so it is a logical thread drift to also include all forms of horse involvement with humans. The Royal Family treat their race horses like royalty.

Only a minor offence.

Scott Colliver
04-11-2020, 01:10 PM
Can something be done about the Baron antichrist cock waving contest in WHAT N.S.W. CHESS HAS OVER VICTORIA thread?

antichrist
04-11-2020, 01:34 PM
Can something be done about the Baron antichrist cock waving contest in WHAT N.S.W. CHESS HAS OVER VICTORIA thread?

First time I have heard it described like that.

b.nancarrow
05-11-2020, 06:31 PM

Yes something can be done. You can simply cease to view the thread.

Scott Colliver
05-11-2020, 08:30 PM
Yes something can be done. You can simply cease to view the thread.

Go and have a little think as to why that might not actually be a solution. I am sure you will work it out.

antichrist
05-11-2020, 09:03 PM
I viewed it as a spat between a NSW coach and a Victorian coach though I never actually stated it. So may have been in order.

MichaelBaron
07-11-2020, 10:42 AM
I viewed it as a spat between a NSW coach and a Victorian coach though I never actually stated it. So may have been in order.

It was not a spat...Friendly chat it was between two friends :). When people who understand chess and chess scene talk, make yourself a coffee, get to the laptop and read and learn from both!

MichaelBaron
07-11-2020, 10:46 AM
Someone messaged me that I should not reply to moderation notices and I've been banned from some thread for this (I guess its the thread where AC was combining learning moves of chess with analysis of my games). Yep. I saw it now. Will remind myself not to reply to moderation notices in future.

Kevin Bonham
07-11-2020, 05:48 PM
Someone messaged me that I should not reply to moderation notices and I've been banned from some thread for this (I guess its the thread where AC was combining learning moves of chess with analysis of my games). Yep. I saw it now. Will remind myself not to reply to moderation notices in future.

Thanks, I have reversed the block now.

Scott Colliver
08-11-2020, 07:02 PM
Can b.nancarrow's off topic post about President Trump be deleted from the President Joe Biden thread

Scott Colliver
08-11-2020, 08:48 PM
Thank you Kevin.

Scott Colliver
09-11-2020, 11:12 AM
Can antichrist's off topic posts about abortion be removed from the thread Australia's greatest shame

Kevin Bonham
09-11-2020, 11:39 AM
Can antichrist's off topic posts about abortion be removed from the thread Australia's greatest shame

A poster is entirely entitled to ask whether a general principle that another poster has espoused applies to a specific example, whether that example is something being covered on the thread or not. So it was a legitimate tangent but I have moved the posts to an abortion thread anyway.

antichrist
15-11-2020, 01:23 AM
I dont think it is a good look to have personal bickering in the shout box. Regards

Kevin Bonham
15-11-2020, 01:41 AM
I dont think it is a good look to have personal bickering in the shout box. Regards

Yes another forum I post on has a rule that if you put someone on ignore you're not allowed to gloat about it. We don't have that here (yet), but nonetheless, shouts deleted.

antichrist
15-11-2020, 07:09 AM
That rule prevents a coward's castle scenario.

Desmond
15-11-2020, 10:01 AM
Yes another forum I post on has a rule that if you put someone on ignore you're not allowed to gloat about it. We don't have that here (yet), but nonetheless, shouts deleted.

Sounds like a good rule.

antichrist
29-11-2020, 09:33 PM

But can they claim to have someone on "ignore" when they still read their posts? My mate Michael here: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?9121-Chess-Whatever/page40 post 600. Not that I mind because as you note I still post expecting him to read.

Kevin Bonham
29-11-2020, 10:04 PM
But can they claim to have someone on "ignore" when they still read their posts? My mate Michael here: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?9121-Chess-Whatever/page40 post 600. Not that I mind because as you note I still post expecting him to read.

He can still see any post of yours that somebody else quotes, which is what happened there. (He can't see the original, but he can see the post that quotes it.)

ER
30-11-2020, 12:26 PM
Is it possible to clear the Chess Whatever thread of all Fischer related posts and move them to somewhere more appropriate?
I believe it is important to keep the particular thread's miscellaneous nature intact and not let it become another silly troll's waste dump!
I mean I understand his inability to keep on a subject without resorting to a) his incomprehensible mumbling (incl. as in this case his private funeral arrangements)
or (b) just deal with facts he has no idea about.
Not that I have the slightest intention of changing my decision to never again respond directly to his provocative nonsense!
(In this case I was responding to Macho's post).
Another reason to ask for a new thread or moving the already posted material to an existing one is that there's a lot of evidenced details to add to the 11th CWC's DNA test exhumation story!
Thanks in advance!

Kevin Bonham
30-11-2020, 12:34 PM
Is it possible to clear the Chess Whatever thread of all Fischer related posts and move them to somewhere more appropriate?
I believe it is important to keep the particular thread's miscellaneous nature intact and not let it become another silly troll's waste dump!

Given that the thread was started by AC I believe that "silly troll's waste dump" is a fair description of its purpose and in general I won't be moving posts from it unless there is some prolonged and serious multi-poster discussion that I think deserves a better home. Basically the function of the thread is to enable AC to make posts that are chess-related without being bound by topicality.

Anyone who sees anything posted on that thread that they think deserves a more serious home is welcome to quote posts from there and respond to them on a more appropriate thread (can use search to see if one might already exist) or else start one. Also feel free to repost what you've already posted recently re Fischer on a different thread if you wish.

This is the main Fischer RIP thread: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?7481-Bobby-Fischer-1943-2008-(take-two) but also no problem with starting others.

ER
30-11-2020, 12:41 PM
Thank you, I think that clarifies the position adequately!

Desmond
28-12-2020, 08:54 PM
Would be great if we can remove this vulgarity from chess threads. "Piss off", f-word abbreviations, "geriatric". Bad enough to put up with the vulgar troll in non-chess, let's try to keep chess sections clean at least.

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?9752-Chess-Movies-chess-in-movies-and-TV&p=475762&viewfull=1#post475762
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?9752-Chess-Movies-chess-in-movies-and-TV&p=475856&viewfull=1#post475856

Kevin Bonham
29-12-2020, 12:03 AM
Would be great if we can remove this vulgarity from chess threads.

Agreed and I've deleted one entire post and removed the two offending expressions from the other.

If I see a repeat of this (especially the deleted vulgar abuse towards another poster) any time in the next few months there may be stronger action.

antichrist
29-12-2020, 05:39 AM
What about the unnecessary rudeness to myself in post 144 same thread. I could be rude in return but why wreck a thread.

Kevin Bonham
29-12-2020, 11:22 AM
What about the unnecessary rudeness to myself in post 144 same thread. I could be rude in return but why wreck a thread.

If you make a clueless post instead of checking facts that could be easily checked you don't get much protection from that sort of thing.

Patrick Byrom
29-12-2020, 04:29 PM
Would be great if we can remove this vulgarity from chess threads. "Piss off", f-word abbreviations, "geriatric". Bad enough to put up with the vulgar troll in non-chess, let's try to keep chess sections clean at least. ... Especially since those threads are the ones most likely to attract casual visitors and children.

ER
30-12-2020, 01:05 AM
Especially since those threads are the ones most likely to attract casual visitors and children.

You being such a silly old mouthpiece, of course can recall times when words such as c..t were freely used and went unpunished, but [abuse deleted - mod] you seriously deserve some moderation.

antichrist
30-12-2020, 05:14 AM
You being such a silly old mouthpiece, of course can recall times when words such as c..t were freely used and went unpunished, but being such a biased nincompoop you seriously deserve some moderation.

Your examples plus BillG"s of clueless clowns is what began flame wars but someone has a short memory.

Kevin Bonham
30-12-2020, 10:10 AM
You being such a silly old mouthpiece, of course can recall times when words such as c..t were freely used and went unpunished, but [abuse deleted - mod] you seriously deserve some moderation.

No he can't. The unabridged version of c..t was added to the banned word list not later than 2 Jan 2004, the old ACF BB having been transferred here on 1 Jan 2004. Pat didn't join til 2008.

And you are on a formal warning re your recent habit of responding to polite disagreements - as distinct from AC being clueless - with aggressive personal sledging and abuse. I'm tired of cleaning it up and if it happens again in the next few months you will be kicked off the thread where it occurs for a while and may be suspended and/or required to apologise.

Bill Gletsos
30-12-2020, 02:54 PM
Your examples plus BillG"s of clueless clowns is what began flame wars but someone has a short memory.This is what should be described as an “anti christ fact”, since as usual you need to check the facts.
I only used the term “clueless clowns” in one post and that was in reference to the usual suspects on the toolbox.

antichrist
30-12-2020, 03:19 PM
This is what should be described as an “anti christ fact”, since as usual you need to check the facts.
I only used the term “clueless clowns” in one post and that was in reference to the usual suspects on the toolbox.

And ER's failure to attribute to the original source is disturbing. Probably originally from Keating your hero.

Patrick Byrom
30-12-2020, 03:40 PM
Especially since those threads are the ones most likely to attract casual visitors and children.To give an example, the results of the 2020 Qld Juniors are not on the CAQ website (as far as I can see), so juniors and their parents will be coming here to find them.

Bill Gletsos
30-12-2020, 05:54 PM
And ER's failure to attribute to the original source is disturbing.Stop trying to deflect from your mistakes.

Probably originally from Keating your hero.Yet another false antichrist statement.

antichrist
30-12-2020, 07:41 PM
Stop trying to deflect from your mistakes.
Yet another false antichrist statement.

You did state that you are the Paul Keating of this site.

Bill Gletsos
30-12-2020, 08:12 PM
You did state that you are the Paul Keating of this site.Wrong I simply quoted him.

That’s another false statement about me.

Your next false statement about me will see you having an unplanned holiday from this site.

Garvinator
30-12-2020, 08:31 PM
As someone who has been on this site since its formation, I have seen the moderation standards come and go. Whilst my recollection of all matters may not be perfect (whose is over that time period), what I do recall is the following. This may be news to some.

For a number of years, the issue of profanity and similar commentary moderation was a thorny subject, with posters having different views on the topic.

In an effort to solve this issue, the Coffee Lounge was set up. The purpose of the Coffee Lounge was to provide an environment with more lax moderation standards than the general forum, but in return, the main forum section would be more strongly moderated for profanity and other similar conduct. The Coffee Lounge also had a minimum (I think it still does) post count, before you could see it and post in it. This 'entry bar' was set so those entering the Coffee Lounge and its topics were already familiar with the general site, and could then choose whether to participate in the more rough and tumble aspects of the Coffee Lounge.

And as shown here: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?4413-Posting-within-Coffee-Lounge even moderation standards in 2006 had to be applied to the Coffee Lounge. Some people just could not respect the extra freedoms they were given and had to push and push until they went too far.

And now we have almost come full circle. Posters have returned to abusing each other on the open forums. I recall long ago there being a clear message that stated - If posters want to abuse each other, take it to the private message system and then have at it.

No body else wants to read the abuse being hurled back and forth, so if you really feel the need to hurl abuse at another poster, send them a private message and sort it out there.

It seems that this give and take between both sections has either been lost, or there are newer posters who are not aware of the purpose of both sections of the forum.

Kevin Bonham
30-12-2020, 09:34 PM
When the CL was first started mods were not even allowed in there!

Yes the entry bar to the Coffee Lounge is still there, and has long been set at 500 posts (at one stage it was 200.) The abuse of the Coffee Lounge that resulted in moderation being introduced there was mostly by posters since banned from CC entirely, though threadjacking is still an issue there sometimes.

I don't think there is actually much abuse on the forum at all at the moment, and very little by way of flamewars especially since MB apparently put AC on ignore - just a present issue with one poster tending to go off the deep end when contradicted by others. I view that differently to cases where two posters have pretty much agreed to flame each other and all that really matters is they keep it clean and not derail threads.

antichrist
07-01-2021, 06:38 AM
In Asylum thread post 1135 refers to a person as garbage - you be King Solomon as usual.

Kevin Bonham
07-01-2021, 11:19 AM
In Asylum thread post 1135 refers to a person as garbage - you be King Solomon as usual.

He's referring to a person who has convictions under Australian law for indecently assaulting five girls under the age of 16.

antichrist
14-01-2021, 06:03 PM
Thread locked

As this thread was started by a poster who has stated he is no longer going to be posting in the non-chess section, and in order to discourage proliferation of US politics related threads, this thread is closed until further notice. Any poster wishing to reply to an existing post on this thread can do so on the US elections and politics thread or can apply by PM for the thread to be reopened.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I think the thread was began by myself and as far as my memory I am still posting non chess for better or worse

Kevin Bonham
14-01-2021, 07:18 PM
You are correct; I'd misremembered it as started by ER without checking. It's re-opened but if you again use it to post material that is not distinctively on-topic and could just as easily go in the US Politics thread or the Trump thread then I'll lock it.

antichrist
14-01-2021, 07:40 PM
You are correct; I'd misremembered it as started by ER without checking. It's re-opened but if you again use it to post material that is not distinctively on-topic and could just as easily go in the US Politics thread or the Trump thread then I'll lock it.

I want to post there that have more of a historical context even if as recent as forty years ago. Because they can also be a continuation of thinking and legislation of a hundred years ago only in a different form. Thanks btw

Desmond
17-01-2021, 07:15 PM
... could just as easily go in the US Politics thread or the Trump thread then I'll lock it.

I was wondering if there is any point to having a distinct thread for President Biden, as opposed those posts being in the generic US politics thread.

Patrick Byrom
17-01-2021, 08:25 PM
I was wondering if there is any point to having a distinct thread for President Biden, as opposed those posts being in the generic US politics thread.Interesting that (according to Google) there are three threads linked to ("No Drama") Obama on Chess Chat, but none of them are specifically about his Presidency. What a contrast to Trump!

I suspect that Biden won't generate enough discussion for a separate thread either - but I assume the decision is up to Scott Colliver, who started the Biden thread.

Desmond
17-01-2021, 08:35 PM
Interesting that (according to Google) there are three threads linked to ("No Drama") Obama on Chess Chat, but none of them are specifically about his Presidency. What a contrast to Trump!

I suspect that Biden won't generate enough discussion for a separate thread either - but I assume the decision is up to Scott Colliver, who started the Biden thread.

It is hard to think of any post that could be made on a "President Biden" thread that would be off-topic on a "US Politics" thread.

antichrist
17-01-2021, 11:51 PM
It is hard to think of any post that could be made on a "President Biden" thread that would be off-topic on a "US Politics" thread.

No malarkey?

Scott Colliver
28-01-2021, 10:06 AM
Can the thread, are religions that preach...., please be moved from the politics section to the religious section.

Scott Colliver
28-01-2021, 10:11 AM

I will be happy to see the Joe Biden thread merged with the US politics thread as long as the Donald Trump thread is also merged with the US politics thread.

antichrist
28-01-2021, 12:25 PM
I will be happy to see the Joe Biden thread merged with the US politics thread as long as the Donald Trump thread is also merged with the US politics thread.

No way bro Trump is about everything - even porn stars, corruption, tax evasion, cheating at golf and infamous tapes. As well as insurrection. He ticks all the boxes.

Kevin Bonham
28-01-2021, 10:12 PM
Can the thread, are religions that preach...., please be moved from the politics section to the religious section.

Done - the thread as outlined by the thread-starter is slightly political but still, I think, overwhelmingly religion related, so I've moved it.

I'm still thinking about the Biden thread but not inclined to lock or merge it yet. That said I do think the Trump one was a bit of a special case because Trump is such an outlier in terms of his ability to inspire outraged posts.

ER
06-02-2021, 11:55 AM
Attention is required in the Mentone Allegro thread.
It is set and used by volunteers who work tirelessly to promote chess in the area.
They can do without nonsensical non/ anti/ religion rubbish as in #11 and #12

antichrist
06-02-2021, 02:22 PM
Attention is required in the Mentone Allegro thread.
It is set and used by volunteers who work tirelessly to promote chess in the area.
They can do without nonsensical non/ anti/ religion rubbish as in #11 and #12

I am unaware of Scott's affiliations. It could be opposite to what you may think.

ER
06-02-2021, 03:00 PM
Additionally, I am sure that this thread deserves much better than being used for pointless garbage as in the cases above! #1899, #1890
(the latter extremely and wantonly vulgar) particularly concerning posts appealed on a chess related thread!

Metro
06-02-2021, 03:07 PM
I was going to make a brief comment about Scotts post

I am not sure I could attend a club that meets in a churchI dont want to comment in the thread because it's off-topic.I recall walking home in Glenelg,S.Australia and a Christian friend declined to take a short-cut through Church grounds.I take it this is what Scott meant.

Scott Colliver
06-02-2021, 03:20 PM
I am an athiest and religion is wrong, I would not be seen to be supporting it in anyway.

Scott Colliver
06-02-2021, 03:25 PM
I have removed the offending comment.

Stop being a cry baby ER

Kevin Bonham
06-02-2021, 08:05 PM
I am an athiest and religion is wrong, I would not be seen to be supporting it in anyway.

That is fine but there are also contexts in which expressing opposition to religion is not appropriate because it disrupts a thread. This particular thread concerned a Victorian club that chooses to meet in a church and is advertising its events. It is not appropriate for anyone to comment adversely on this in the thread, an action likely to disrupt the thread by drawing off-topic responses, unless they are an active member of the club in question or perhaps seeking to become one.

That is not to say it would never be appropriate for a non-member to comment adversely on where a club chooses to meet for reasons of philosophical disapproval, but an example where it would be appropriate would have to be rather extreme.

Kevin Bonham
06-02-2021, 08:09 PM
Additionally, I am sure that this thread deserves much better than being used for pointless garbage as in the cases above! #1899, #1890
(the latter extremely and wantonly vulgar) particularly concerning posts appealed on a chess related thread!

This may be the case but I did not see the original posts before they were edited, so I would need to know more to establish that the original comments were "nonsensical non/ anti/ religion rubbish" as opposed to being merely off-topic distractions from the purpose of the thread.

ER
06-02-2021, 09:25 PM
This may be the case but I did not see the original posts before they were edited, (...)

So, I assume the non/edited #1890 post's content is interpreted as being acceptable right?

Kevin Bonham
06-02-2021, 10:04 PM
So, I assume the non/edited #1890 post's content is interpreted as being acceptable right?

I've deleted what was #1890 in its most recent form as at best it didn't advance the discussion. As out of line as the off-topic posts on the Mentone thread were, the way you described them in #1888 may have inflamed the situation.

Scott Colliver
06-02-2021, 10:18 PM
What rule did my Religion is delusion thread break?

Kevin Bonham
06-02-2021, 10:32 PM
What rule did my Religion is delusion thread break?

It didn't break any rules. I decided to delete it because the opening post didn't contain any supporting argument, it was basically just insults towards views and people you don't agree with. It didn't give anyone who disagreed with it anything to engage with so they could try to argue that you were wrong.

antichrist
06-02-2021, 11:43 PM
This may be the case but I did not see the original posts before they were edited, so I would need to know more to establish that the original comments were "nonsensical non/ anti/ religion rubbish" as opposed to being merely off-topic distractions from the purpose of the thread.

My post stated that I had no objection to playing in a church only that I preferred Catholic churches as the architecture is usually superior. As all services I find boring the architecture is most important to me.

ER
07-02-2021, 12:06 AM
This may be the case but I did not see the original posts before they were edited,

Not only edited but completely removed!
Why?
Because It contained an irrelevant and nonsensical proclamation about militant atheism!
Not exactly what one expects to see in a chess tournament thread!
The explanation given in #1901 is misleading since it does not contain the original statement!

antichrist
07-02-2021, 01:08 AM
Why?
Because It contained an irrelevant and nonsensical proclamation about militant atheism!
Not exactly what one expects to see in a chess tournament thread!
The explanation given in #1901 is misleading since it does not contain the original statement!

I was only talking about myself saying that I still supported it being held in a church - I have even played chess in that Anglican Church in main drag of Parramatta. But I do need my brains inside.

Kevin Bonham
07-02-2021, 09:17 AM

Scott edited his original post and then I deleted not only the edited post (which no longer said anything of substance) but also antichrist's reply (which hadn't been edited).

There was nothing wrong with antichrist's reply; it was only deleted because Scott's post that he was replying to should not have been posted on that thread in the first place.

Scott Colliver
11-02-2021, 03:21 PM
The tennis thread has been totally derailed by a personal argument which has become about relative chess strength.

Kevin Bonham
11-02-2021, 06:03 PM
The tennis thread has been totally derailed by a personal argument which has become about relative chess strength.

Locked for repairs, I'll fix it soon.

[Edit: done.]

ER
16-02-2021, 12:22 AM
so allowing "spurious" used by your protected species, is ok huh? My nonsensical etc comments refer to the response to my comparing players depending on their potential strength and not to their performances on online events. I know you're biased against me but reaching that low level of treating people who don't take your finger pointing bullshit seriously it's simply ridiculous. I will keep on supporting financially this forum for as long as I am not barred from it because it really provides a good service to the chess related community! Your lame censorship and moderation style only serves your arrogantly exhibited egocentrism.

[crude abuse deleted - mod]

antichrist
16-02-2021, 05:53 AM
so allowing "spurious" used by your protected species, is ok huh? My nonsensical etc comments refer to the response to my comparing players depending on their potential strength and not to their performances on online events. I know you're biased against me but reaching that low level of treating people who don't take your finger pointing bullshit seriously it's simply ridiculous. I will keep on supporting financially this forum for as long as I am not barred from it because it really provides a good service to the chess related community! Your lame censorship and moderation style only serves your arrogantly exhibited egocentrism. [..]

I nominated this post for the Basil and Trump award of 2021. Keep up the good work. Such courage .

The views expressed in the quoted post do not necessarily reflect the views of the antichrist or his dominions.

Kevin Bonham
16-02-2021, 08:28 AM
so allowing "spurious" used by your protected species, is ok huh? My nonsensical etc comments refer to the response to my comparing players depending on their potential strength and not to their performances on online events. I know you're biased against me but reaching that low level of treating people who don't take your finger pointing bullshit seriously it's simply ridiculous. I will keep on supporting financially this forum for as long as I am not barred from it because it really provides a good service to the chess related community!

I'm not biased against you; you have form and having to clean it up wastes my time so I am asking you to stop doing it, and if you don't stop I will keep deleting it and if necessary go further. Over and over again you make a point, someone disagrees with it and instead of debating the point or clarifying your original comment you go over the top. The shoutbox is a bad place for making arguments regarding the merits of world championship challengers and it is something that is always best explored on a thread. If you choose to explore it in the shoutbox and do not make your reasons for holding your positions clear then you should expect people to assume you are taking something irrelevant into account. Especially since in this case you had just been commenting on Wesley So winning an online rapid event.

Also, do not comment about moderation in the shoutbox. The only place for commenting about moderation is in the Help and Feedback section. Nobody is above this requirement whether they financially support the forum or not.

PS: The Moderation Rules and Decisions thread has always been closed.

ER
16-02-2021, 08:37 PM
Especially since in this case you had just been commenting on Wesley So winning an online rapid event.

Which of course did not mean I implied that he should be included in the Candidates whose line - up has already been decided and the relevant tournament is already half way through - due to his success in the Opera Rapid - something which was pointed out and got crudely deleted!

I will keep on supporting financially this forum for as long as I am not barred from it because it really provides a good service to the chess related community!

I should correct the above to read: I will keep supporting financially this forum even if I am barred because etc as above.

As for the rest you have censored my original particularly the terms of endearment I used (*) to describe the honourable elite of this forum to the point of missing the point completely.
What's worse you made me sound nice and pleasant.

(*) I hope the bastards (Don also used this expression) saw the original which I have kept and can mail it to them privately if they so wish and ask politely for it

Desmond
17-02-2021, 10:18 AM
...The shoutbox is a bad place for making arguments regarding the merits of world championship challengers and it is something that is always best explored on a thread. If you choose to explore it in the shoutbox and do not make your reasons for holding your positions clear then you should expect people to assume you are taking something irrelevant into account. Especially since in this case you had just been commenting on Wesley So winning an online rapid event. ...
Furthermore when ER specifically derides So's classical ability with:

Not sure if his [So's] classical chess ability is good enough to establish him as a serious contender...

If ER was specifically not referring to So's classical ability or his online rapid success, then what logically can he have been referring to?

Kevin Bonham
17-02-2021, 11:00 AM
Which of course did not mean I implied that he should be included in the Candidates whose line - up has already been decided and the relevant tournament is already half way through - due to his success in the Opera Rapid - something which was pointed out and got crudely deleted!

Because of a software glitch I can currently only delete shouts - I would like to be able to edit them but currently that option isn't available to me.

As for the rest you have censored my original particularly the terms of endearment I used (*) to describe the honourable elite of this forum to the point of missing the point completely.

I am thinking of blocking one of those terms of endearment as it is the sort of language we are trying to keep a lid on here. However I will only do so if there is a way to do it without disadvantaging those users who might want to write such words as parsed, Arsenal, arsenic, coarser, sparse, rehearse etc.

Capablanca-Fan
18-02-2021, 12:57 PM
A new guy started the thread Chess coach (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18339-Chess-coach&p=477507#post477507) in General Chess Chat, but probably belongs in Coaching Clinic (http://www.chesschat.org/forumdisplay.php?43-Coaching-Clinic) for those that might want it later.

ER
18-02-2021, 11:01 PM
Additionally, and regarding to So's deserving to be in a candidates line-up or not and according to what I posted, one objective observer should be able to distinguish between his ability to be considered as a serious contender and his just being a part of a (and not this) Candidates tournament . I pointed out at least twice that my referring to this situation IS NOT about the present Candidates tournament. One has to be extremely biased and completely out of context by referring to this claim as "spurious" and even worse you describing my indignant but justified reaction to such nonsense as "trolling" ending up deleting it. (I accept your not having access to mod the shoutbox and as such removing the whole shout). However, you left untouched the wonton and completely uncalled for reaction to my initial post which did not offend anyone and had no intention to do so.

Of course his performance in the Opera Rapid was referred to as an indication of his good form but NOT as factor/criterium of inclusion / invitation to the Candidates or any serious tournament.
Remember when the ex WC Garry Kasparov made a one off comeback to play in that 2017 St. Louis Rapid and Blitz tournament? We all went wild about the news and applauded for a couple of his successes! Despite wild speculation about him resuming his career in classical chess, there wasn't a simple chance of him doing so. However, some theoretical questions were raised as his real ability and potential placement in the world's say 100 if he did. We have discussed stuff like that about Karpov, Fischer, Alekhine and so on and so forth from time time. Interesting indeed but nothing more than just a chat.

To conclude once and for all about So. The reality is that at this very moment he is 9th in the world with a classical rating of 2770. He is not in the Candidates!
Wan Hao and Kirill Akekseenko, 2763 - 13th and 2696 - 39th in the world list respectively, are in the Candidates! I stick to my initial point regardless! The future will prove me right or wrong.

Kevin Bonham
18-02-2021, 11:59 PM
Additionally, and regarding to So's deserving to be in a candidates line-up or not and according to what I posted, one objective observer should be able to distinguish between his ability to be considered as a serious contender and his just being a part of a (and not this) Candidates tournament . I pointed out at least twice that my referring to this situation IS NOT about the present Candidates tournament.

Yes but you did not point that out before the reactions from two posters that you were responding to. They saw you talking about So winning a rapid then suddenly saying a few hours after that it's a shame for the US So isn't in the Candidates, then asserting that Firoujza "definitely deserved a place in the Candidates." Firoujza was not in the world top 20 and had never been in the top 20 at the time the Candidates field was set. (He has still never been in the top 15.) So it would not have looked like you were arguing that only the strongest players deserve a place in the Candidates, and since you hadn't explained why both So and Firoujza did, and since you had downplayed So's classical strength in the process, you left it wide open to the interpretation that you were cheerleading for particular players for irrelevant reasons.

I agree that one could argue that a player is strong enough to deserve to be in the Candidates on strength despite not being strong enough to be a serious contender for winning the Candidates - and this is consistent with a common criticism of the inclusion of players through such methods as wild cards, World Cup etc - but in this case one would not be arguing Firoujza deserved to be in as well.

Desmond
19-02-2021, 08:35 AM
Additionally, and regarding to So's deserving to be in a candidates line-up or not and according to what I posted, one objective observer should be able to distinguish between his ability to be considered as a serious contender and his just being a part of a (and not this) Candidates tournament .
...The future will prove me right or wrong.
Of course we do not need to wait for the future to find out if So will take part in a candidates tournament, since he already has been part of one in 2018. Once again, ER's attempt to justify spurious argument by continue to keep digging does him no good.

Kevin Bonham
20-02-2021, 05:02 PM
Post deleted

Post consisting largely of personal insults deleted.

If there are any more such posts on this matter they may be deleted without logging, and if necessary a sector block may be applied.

ER
20-02-2021, 05:30 PM
Post deleted

Post consisting largely of personal insults deleted.

If there are any more such posts on this matter they may be deleted without logging, and if necessary a sector block may be applied.

awesome stuff! keep up the good work! :D :P

ER
27-02-2021, 01:22 PM
Irrelevant post by member Kevin Bonham on 2021 Tasmanian Championship thread #12 referring to an entrant's rapid rating in a classical time control tournament.
The irrelevance (which is obviously wrongly used as an indication of the entrant's strength) was also spotted by another user but neither response or move was made to correct
the obvious inaccuracy nor explanation was given.

Kevin Bonham
27-02-2021, 05:49 PM
Irrelevant post by member Kevin Bonham on 2021 Tasmanian Championship thread #12 referring to an entrant's rapid rating in a classical time control tournament.
The irrelevance (which is obviously wrongly used as an indication of the entrant's strength) was also spotted by another user but neither response or move was made to correct
the obvious inaccuracy nor explanation was given.

Commenting as a poster - the reason it is entirely on topic and relevant should be extremely obvious if you've been following the thread about Queensland ACF ratings - and junior ratings in particular - being out of whack with other states. It was not mentioned to claim that the player is that strength, but simply as an indicator that his classic rating, compared to those in Tasmania, could be unreliable. Also commenting as a poster - in my view your complaint is petty and either trolling as payback for my actions as a moderator, or else being extremely melodramatic.

Another moderator is welcome to deal with it if they disagree with me.

ER
27-02-2021, 06:23 PM
... relevant should be extremely obvious if you've been following the thread about Queensland ACF ratings

Irrelevant! Expecting someone to know the whole Chesschat's list of contents in order to interpret your post comparing your rapid rating to an entrant's in the 2021 Tasmanian Championship is also illogical.

in my view your complaint is petty and either trolling as payback for my actions as a moderator

Paranoia at its best! I had no intention to employ any of the above elements!

or else being extremely melodramatic.

Drama queen reaction. I am not taking you as seriously as you might think I am

Another moderator is welcome to deal with it if they disagree with me.

as if! :D :P Go on proceed with your beloved hobby of deleting stuff that annoys you, even when as in this case it does not contain any terms of endearment!

Bill Gletsos
27-02-2021, 06:48 PM
Commenting as a poster - the reason it is entirely on topic and relevant should be extremely obvious if you've been following the thread about Queensland ACF ratings - and junior ratings in particular - being out of whack with other states. It was not mentioned to claim that the player is that strength, but simply as an indicator that his classic rating, compared to those in Tasmania, could be unreliable. Also commenting as a poster - in my view your complaint is petty and either trolling as payback for my actions as a moderator, or else being extremely melodramatic.

Another moderator is welcome to deal with it if they disagree with me.Completely agree so I won’t be taking any action.

Bill Gletsos
27-02-2021, 06:57 PM
as if!I saw your post shortly after you made it and as my thoughts matched those that Kevin later posted I chose to just ignore your complaint.

Kevin Bonham
27-02-2021, 07:00 PM
Irrelevant! Expecting someone to know the whole Chesschat's list of contents in order to interpret your post comparing your rapid rating to an entrant's in the 2021 Tasmanian Championship is also illogical.

I'm not expecting anyone to necessarily be paying attention; I'm just pointing out why your interpretation was incorrect and your claim of irrelevance was also incorrect. That it might not be obvious to every poster why a post is on-topic doesn't mean that it isn't. In this case, another poster had already commented about ratings points in Tasmania being at risk.

Drama queen reaction. I am not taking you as seriously as you think I am

No, I offered two interpretations to ensure I covered all possibilities and to avoid a blast of pseudo-righteous indignation if I offered one and not the other. As you have dismissed the interpretation that you were being extremely melodramatic, all that remains is you were trolling.

Go on proceed with your beloved hobby of deleting stuff that annoys you, even when as in this case it does not contain any terms of endearment!

Without getting into whether your trolling was successful or otherwise, to do that would unnecessarily deprive the world of evidence of you getting it wrong. Perhaps you have now realised you've stuffed up and would like that?

Anyway I suggest you reexamine my moderation of #1906. Although that post made numerous completely mindless and bogus insults in my direction, I only edited out your swearing, and even that was pursuant to my agreement with the site owner concerning keeping a lid on gratuitous crude language on a forum visited by juniors.

ER
27-02-2021, 07:34 PM
As you have dismissed the interpretation that you were being extremely melodramatic, all that remains is you were trolling.

I dismissed both the trolling as well as your melodrama interpretations of my reaction.

Without getting into whether your trolling was successful or otherwise

I repeat! No trolling intended whatsoever! Trolling was unsuccessfully used against me on the shoutbox by one of your protected species yesterday!
You took no action. despite guidelines that the shoutbox should not be used for personal confrontations.

Perhaps you have now realised you've stuffed up and would like that?

Perhaps not!

In this case, another poster had already commented about ratings points in Tasmania being at risk.

The same poster made the point that this is not a rapid tournament which was my point too! You neglected to refer to that!

Anyway I suggest you reexamine my moderation of #1906. Although that post made numerous completely mindless and bogus insults in my direction, I only edited out your swearing, and even that was pursuant to my agreement with the site owner concerning keeping a lid on gratuitous crude language on a forum visited by juniors.

I have taken your point re language seriously , and also applauded your moderation admittedly with tongue firmly in cheek, in a jocular (ed) but in a no way disrespectful manner.
The problem with your moderation was that you deleted everything including stuff like the correct use of the indefinite article "a" giving the person on my ignore list the right to not only
once again misinterpret my statement(s) on shoutbox but also to express an unacceptably gratuitous attitude toward my being moderated!

Kevin Bonham
27-02-2021, 08:18 PM
I dismissed both the trolling as well as your melodrama interpretations of my reaction.

Your unsubstantiated denial is irrelevant.

I repeat! No trolling intended whatsoever! Trolling was unsuccessfully used against me on the shoutbox by one of your protected species yesterday!
You took no action. despite guidelines that the shoutbox should not be used for personal confrontations.

What part of the shoutbox guidelines are you referring to there? There is not necessarily any problem with posters disagreeing with each other in the shoutbox in a mild-mannered way.

The problem with your moderation was that you deleted everything including stuff like the correct use of the indefinite article "a" giving the person on my ignore list the right not only
once again misinterpret my statement(s) but also to express an unacceptably gratuitous attitude toward my being moderated!

That was absolutely your own fault for making a post that consisted almost entirely of abuse towards another poster, that did not comment about moderation at all and that didn't even advance the tangential meta-debate (in that you asserted that Desmond had misunderstood your use of the word "a" but provided no evidence that this was the case). Of course I am not going to waste my time editing such a post and will just delete it immediately; you are free to have another go at making a relevant post on that issue if you can do it without resorting to pointless insults. You were extremely lucky not to at least get banned from this thread for a while rightaway for that post. Perhaps you are a "protected species"?

ER
27-02-2021, 08:57 PM
Your unsubstantiated denial is irrelevant.

You keep on avoiding J.P.'s as well as my reference to the main point of this argument which has to do with the tournament not being a rapid tournament
Your using the entrant's rapid rating as being higher to your rapid rating is absolutely irrelevant.

You were extremely lucky not to at least get banned from this thread for a while rightaway for that post. Perhaps you are a "protected species"?

I know this is your playground and you exercise your authority at will. My luck (extreme or not) has been decided by other factors and so is my lifestyle irrespective to the policies of a forum

Not going to waste enjoying my staying in one of the most luxurious and expensive hotels in Melbourne to deal with such minor issues.
I have already made my position on all related matters regarding raised issues very clear. Maybe when I go back home I could reconsider the whole thing and present my case in a different manner. Best

Kevin Bonham
27-02-2021, 09:29 PM
You keep on avoiding J.P.'s as well as my reference to the main point of this argument which has to do with the tournament not being a rapid tournament
Your using the entrant's rapid rating as being higher to your rapid rating is absolutely irrelevant.

No, I already addressed that. The player has an ACF classic rating of 1128 and a chess.com rapid rating of 1830. The strength or otherwise of mainland entrants and their potential to deprive us of ratings points is a common subject of discussion in Tasmania. If you're asserting it's irrelevant, then you would accept that a player with an ACF classic rating of 1128 and a chess.com rapid rating of 800 should not be expected to perform better at classical chess than this player. If you truly believe that, then the place to defend it is the Ratings Arena.

And I think you know that and are trying to threadjack this thread into a chess discussion in order to mess up the thread with comments that are irrelevant to moderation, and that this is evidenced by you returning to this theme to engage with me on it despite your complaint having been dismissed.

And with that, since you have said that I exercise my authority at will, the subject is closed on this thread!

idledim
04-03-2021, 04:43 PM
Post # 95 in the 46th. Parliament thread is not only callously insensitive to the family and friends of the woman who took her life shortly after declining to proceed with her complaint against the Attorney-General, it is also a disgusting, baseless, defamatory slur against the Attorney-General and Cardinal Pell, and should be removed.

Kevin Bonham
04-03-2021, 05:51 PM
Post # 95 in the 46th. Parliament thread is not only callously insensitive to the family and friends of the woman who took her life shortly after declining to proceed with her complaint against the Attorney-General, it is also a disgusting, baseless, defamatory slur against the Attorney-General and Cardinal Pell, and should be removed.

Post and reply that quotes it taken offline at least temporarily pending me having time to review.

Patrick Byrom
13-03-2021, 04:40 PM
Does the restriction on mentioning a certain person with the initials AT still apply after his recent death?

Kevin Bonham
13-03-2021, 05:31 PM
Does the restriction on mentioning a certain person with the initials AT still apply after his recent death?

There has never been any restriction on mentioning him but it has long been the case that any appearance of his surname in its exact form will be automatically starred out. This was not an anti-spamming or anti-trolling measure; it was the result of an agreement between Alex and STML and was at Alex's request. I therefore don't know if it will be removed.

The rules concerning linking to the forum started by Alex remain in place. It remains the case that said forum (recently attracting very few posts) lacks satisfactory moderation and has at least one remaining poster who has engaged in the sort of behaviour that saw such links be blocked.

Basil
13-03-2021, 10:33 PM

I’d be grateful to receive a PM with information surrounding this. I’ll PM my current email addy in case that’s better.

antichrist
14-03-2021, 06:53 AM
I’d be grateful to receive a PM with information surrounding this. I’ll PM my current email addy in case that’s better.

And you would be most welcome to re-send onto me please.

ER
15-03-2021, 01:49 PM
Can we please have posts from #91 onwards (2021 Tasmanian Champs) moved to Ratings Arena or some other more relevant thread?

Kevin Bonham
15-03-2021, 05:50 PM
Can we please have posts from #91 onwards (2021 Tasmanian Champs) moved to Ratings Arena or some other more relevant thread?

Not as far as I'm concerned; post 91 is on topic because it concerns ratings changes arising from that specific event. And we don't have to move posts every single time something goes off topic via a natural and amicable tangent for a few posts, especially not on a thread concerning a tournament that has finished. However if someone wants to comment on the treatment of unrated players in the Ratings Arena, they're welcome to do so.

Also the thread for requesting posts be moved is this one:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?17991-Thread-requests-title-changes-merging-splitting-moving-posts-etc

Patrick Byrom
10-04-2021, 11:44 PM
The discussion on this thread (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18412-So-who-should-get-a-Point&p=479178#post479178) seems to be implying that a named player was cheating by claiming a win he knew he didn't deserve. Is that a problem?

Kevin Bonham
11-04-2021, 08:10 AM
The discussion on this thread (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18412-So-who-should-get-a-Point&p=479178#post479178) seems to be implying that a named player was cheating by claiming a win he knew he didn't deserve. Is that a problem?

I'm a bit uncomfortable with the tone of some of the comments there about both players so out of an abundance of caution I've removed player names from the thread.

MichaelBaron
11-04-2021, 09:19 AM
I'm a bit uncomfortable with the tone of some of the comments there about both players so out of an abundance of caution I've removed player names from the thread.

Good move! However, I can not find the thread itself anywhere now.

Kevin Bonham
11-04-2021, 09:46 AM
Good move! However, I can not find the thread itself anywhere now.

Whoops, I forgot to move it back from offline! It's back now.

Socrates
11-04-2021, 06:03 PM

A name still appears in post #11 in quoted section.

Kevin Bonham
11-04-2021, 06:07 PM
A name still appears in post #11 in quoted section.

Thanks; fixed.

Patrick Byrom
11-04-2021, 10:38 PM
Thanks; fixed.Thanks for changing all those names, Kevin. I didn't intend to create so much work for you, but I think it's a good decision.

Kevin Bonham
12-04-2021, 05:35 PM
Posts moved

Posts relating to contacting Chess Discount Sales moved to Australian Chess.

Scott Colliver
13-04-2021, 10:16 PM
I think this thread, http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18387-GCCC-2021-Autumn-Cup-8-Round-Swiss-(22-April-to-10-June) has been mistakenly moved to completed tournaments even though it is yet to start.

Kevin Bonham
13-04-2021, 10:52 PM
I think this thread, http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18387-GCCC-2021-Autumn-Cup-8-Round-Swiss-(22-April-to-10-June) has been mistakenly moved to completed tournaments even though it is yet to start.

Ta, fixed.

Desmond
20-04-2021, 04:21 PM
Unprovoked vulgar abuse by ER in this post: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?16843-Welfare-spending&p=479521&viewfull=1#post479521

Kevin Bonham
20-04-2021, 06:20 PM
Unprovoked vulgar abouse by ER in this post: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?16843-Welfare-spending&p=479521&viewfull=1#post479521

Deleted all three posts on the grounds that:

* ER's sigfile states that he does not read non-chess posts but clearly in this instance he did read non-chess posts by Michael Baron. He should edit his sigfile if he wants to post in non-chess. Apart from that the original post was fine.

* AC's response was trolling given that ER's post was clearly at least partly chess-related.

* ER's response to AC's trolling was way over the top (though I didn't see anything I considered vulgar at the time I deleted it).

Once again I am considering banning AC and ER from replying to each other.

antichrist
22-04-2021, 11:15 PM
Deleted all three posts on the grounds that:

* ER's sigfile states that he does not read non-chess posts but clearly in this instance he did read non-chess posts by Michael Baron. He should edit his sigfile if he wants to post in non-chess. Apart from that the original post was fine.

* AC's response was trolling given that ER's post was clearly at least partly chess-related.

* ER's response to AC's trolling was way over the top (though I didn't see anything I considered vulgar at the time I deleted it).

Once again I am considering banning AC and ER from replying to each other.

My mate Michael posted in non chess and I don't recall my other mate ER posting anything about chess?? Are you certain it was partly chess?

My mate can't breathe.

Kevin Bonham
22-04-2021, 11:46 PM
My mate Michael posted in non chess and I don't recall my other mate ER posting anything about chess?? Are you certain it was partly chess?

Yes because I actually clicked on the link in ER's post. Did you click on that link before replying? If so you should be able to tell me what it was about. If not you should not have responded to his post.

ER
28-04-2021, 02:56 PM
Am I still under lock and key? and l hope this question is excluded from my signature's statement, although one can never be sure!

Kevin Bonham
28-04-2021, 07:59 PM
Am I still under lock and key? and l hope this question is excluded from my signature's statement, although one can never be sure!

No, if you can post in this section then that means your suspension from it has expired. I can block members from posting in particular sections, although I have to remember to lift the ban manually once it expires. I cannot block members from posting in specific threads without blocking them from the whole section, so if I ban someone from a thread it is up to them to remember not to post in it until the ban is up.

And yes you can still post in this section while keeping your sigfile as it is.

Note however that if you again use crude language towards any poster in this section, including me, you could get a very long holiday from it.

ER
29-04-2021, 11:35 AM
OK deal, thanks!

ER
04-05-2021, 01:59 AM
Carlsen vs Nepo for the WC title in Dubai is a 14 game not a 12 game match. Poll is invalid.

Garvinator
04-05-2021, 07:36 AM
Carlsen vs Nepo for the WC title in Dubai is a 14 game not a 12 game match. Poll is invalid.

And has been corrected. Hopefully for the last time.

ER
04-05-2021, 09:13 AM
And has been corrected. Hopefully for the last time.
thank you!

Desmond
18-05-2021, 01:15 PM
Could this post please be removed as it has nothing to do with the tournament in which thread it was posted?
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18463-Mr-Dodgy-Invitational-2-May-12-16-2021&p=480594&viewfull=1#post480594

Kevin Bonham
18-05-2021, 07:55 PM
Could this post please be removed as it has nothing to do with the tournament in which thread it was posted?
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18463-Mr-Dodgy-Invitational-2-May-12-16-2021&p=480594&viewfull=1#post480594

Moved to new thread (generous to poster).

Patrick Byrom
31-05-2021, 06:27 PM
I assume that Capablanca-Fan's conspiracy theory is still banned under this moderation decision:

Moderation comment re accidental escape claims
There's a fair amount of discussion by some respectable media sources and some politicians of a claim linking the Wuhan virus labs to the origin of the virus. The theory is that although the virus clearly appears to have jumped from bats to some other animal before being caught by humans, this could have happened accidentally following lab experiments, conducted not for the purposes of developing bioweapons but rather during legitimate research intended in the interests of understanding of coronaviruses for human health purposes.

Rand Paul Has Won Every Single Round Against Fauci
Time has proven Rand Paul [himself a medical doctor] had his thumb on the pulse of the science of the virus, and understood the unintended consequences of government interventions better than public health officials. Hannah Cox, FEE, 27 May 2021
3. Round Three: COVID Origins
“To arrive at the truth, the U.S. government should admit that the Wuhan Virology Institute was experimenting to enhance the coronavirus's ability to infect humans," he continued. Paul went on to point out a grant from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), where Fauci works, to the Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV).

"Sen. Paul, with all due respect, you are entirely and completely incorrect," Fauci responded. He denied the “gain of function” research funding in question as well. But following the dispute, the official story on the origins began to be backtracked. Media outlets softened their position, and some outright edited their previous articles condemning the story.

It was also confirmed (https://www.axios.com/fauci-rand-paul-wuhan-lab-coronavirus-eff1bb08-f6c7-4d63-b170-c49e87c2e3dd.html)that the NIH did fund research at WIV that analyzed bat specimens collected from caves in China to study their potential for infecting humans. The grant was made (https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/nih-cancels-funding-for-bat-coronavirus-research-project-67486)in a roundabout way through a nonprofit called EcoHealth.

Winner: Rand Paul …

Capablanca-Fan is claiming that 'gain-of-function' research was conducted at Wuhan, but has provided no evidence beyond vague claims of conspiracies. It's a complicated area, but this fact check (https://www.factcheck.org/2021/05/the-wuhan-lab-and-the-gain-of-function-disagreement/) does try to clear it up: "There’s no evidence that the Wuhan laboratory, with or without funding from an NIH grant, created SARS-CoV-2."

Kevin Bonham
01-06-2021, 03:05 PM
I assume that Capablanca-Fan's conspiracy theory is still banned under this moderation decision:

Capablanca-Fan is claiming that 'gain-of-function' research was conducted at Wuhan, but has provided no evidence beyond vague claims of conspiracies. It's a complicated area, but this fact check (https://www.factcheck.org/2021/05/the-wuhan-lab-and-the-gain-of-function-disagreement/) does try to clear it up: "There’s no evidence that the Wuhan laboratory, with or without funding from an NIH grant, created SARS-CoV-2."

I'm considering this but the claim that gain of function research occurred and the claim that COVID was created entirely in a lab setting aren't identical claims. My main aim with the moderation decisions announced early in the pandemic was to prevent claims that sought to link COVID to a spuriously claimed bioweapons program (with a hostile focus not a human protection focus), because such claims are likely to go hand in hand with racism and militarism towards China and people of Chinese ethnicity or appearance.

Patrick Byrom
01-06-2021, 07:17 PM
I'm considering this but the claim that gain of function research occurred and the claim that COVID was created entirely in a lab setting aren't identical claims. My main aim with the moderation decisions announced early in the pandemic was to prevent claims that sought to link COVID to a spuriously claimed bioweapons program (with a hostile focus not a human protection focus), because such claims are likely to go hand in hand with racism and militarism towards China and people of Chinese ethnicity or appearance.One of the things that concerned me about Capablanca's post is that the sections he's quoted don't provide any positive reason for the research. Gain-of-function research is controversial, but is clearly intended to benefit humanity. However Paul (via Capablanca-Fan) describes it as "experimenting to enhance the coronavirus's ability to infect humans", and the article later refers to "study their potential for infecting humans". Those statements are not inaccurate, but without context could easily be interpreted as implying that China was developing a bio-weapon - for example, this article (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9634679/Rand-Paul-says-hes-worried-funding-allowing-Chinese-run-bioweapons-program.html).

Kevin Bonham
11-06-2021, 11:00 AM
Deleted post by antichrist - wasting my time with a spurious matter clearly not requiring moderation attention.

Capablanca-Fan
12-06-2021, 08:26 AM
One of the things that concerned me about Capablanca's post is that the sections he's quoted don't provide any positive reason for the research. Gain-of-function research is controversial, but is clearly intended to benefit humanity. However Paul (via Capablanca-Fan) describes it as "experimenting to enhance the coronavirus's ability to infect humans", and the article later refers to "study their potential for infecting humans". Those statements are not inaccurate, but without context could easily be interpreted as implying that China was developing a bio-weapon - for example, this article (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9634679/Rand-Paul-says-hes-worried-funding-allowing-Chinese-run-bioweapons-program.html).

One of the few things that you and I agree upon is that the Chinese Communist government is a totalitarian dictatorship (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?17433-China-and-totalitarianism), but neither of us have a problem with people of Chinese ethnicity or appearance. For comparison, I am old enough to remember another totalitarian dictatorship, the Soviet Gulag State, but that doesn't mean anti-Slavic racism.

Also, regardless of the origin of this virus, the best way to deal with it now is mass vaccination. I supported getting the Rona vax as soon as it was available.

Patrick Byrom
12-06-2021, 11:35 AM
One of the few things that you and I agree upon is that the Chinese Communist government is a totalitarian dictatorship (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?17433-China-and-totalitarianism), but neither of us have a problem with people of Chinese ethnicity or appearance. For comparison, I am old enough to remember another totalitarian dictatorship, the Soviet Gulag State, but that doesn't mean anti-Slavic racism.

Also, regardless of the origin of this virus, the best way to deal with it now is mass vaccination. I supported getting the Rona vax as soon as it was available.I agree with everything you've said. Although it is important for the future to determine the origins of the virus, and China isn't helping as much as it could (for whatever reason).

Patrick Byrom
12-06-2021, 11:39 AM
Posts moved

The Vega/Swiss Perfect (etc) discussion which largely covers previous ground to the existing "Intended Phase-out of Swiss Perfect" thread has been moved to that thread. Also as Swiss Perfect has now been phased out for ratings purposes, the "Intended" has now been removed from the title:
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18259-Phase-Out-Of-Swiss-Perfect

I may move some of the posts again later, eg to an existing Vega thread. Any discussion of these actions may occur in the Help and Feedback section only.Thanks. That thread had definitely wandered off-topic. As I was largely responsible, I was going to suggest this, but assumed that with two moderators in the discussion things would take care of themselves :)

ER
22-07-2021, 01:19 PM
Notifying you that I am making an exemption to posting nowhere else but on chess related topics in order to vote in the Olympic Medals poll. Done, thanks!

Scott Colliver
26-08-2021, 07:45 PM
Please don't ban antichrist

Scott Colliver
08-09-2021, 08:02 PM
I do not believe Lorieas was an adult pretending to be a child.

In now deleted chatbox conversation they mentioned having a granddaughter who showed them things and other thing which indicated they were an adult. They also said English was not their first language.

Still there is clearly something off about the account, some of the posts seemed copy pasted to me and others were just silly.

Kevin Bonham
08-09-2021, 08:07 PM
I do not believe Lorieas was an adult pretending to be a child.

I suspect that they are a junior pretending to be an adult. The rule works both ways.

They also said English was not their first language.

I have reason to believe their claim is false.

Scott Colliver
08-09-2021, 08:11 PM
I suspect that they are a junior pretending to be an adult. The rule works both ways.

I think that might be the case.