PDA

View Full Version : Moderation: questions, discussion and completely pointless whinging

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

antichrist
23-10-2015, 02:21 PM
http://www.chess.com/news/fide-ethics-2-year-ban-for-kasparov--leong-8492

Are they allowed to post here? :P

considering how bans on Matt were countrywide I am not sure

antichrist
26-10-2015, 09:18 AM
Boss, I will let you sort out which thread last post here belongs: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?3275-Israel-Palestine-religious-terrorism-(was-non-islamic-religious-terrorism)&p=402298#post402298

antichrist
01-11-2015, 10:41 AM
What can we do when an important report, like Starter's Chess Vic financial report for the year as their treasurer cannot be posted here?

Kevin Bonham
01-11-2015, 11:38 AM
What can we do when an important report, like Starter's Chess Vic financial report for the year as their treasurer cannot be posted here?

We can ignore it and you in particular can shut up about it permanently, especially as it is not even your own State Association. In 2014 you were barred from referring to matters posted on the other forum over here for the year; I am quite prepared to reinstate that ban and perhaps extend it if necessary.

If CV believe the report is important to their customers they can post it on their own website. The rules here allow for linking to or quoting of matter written by banned persons under certain conditions. If they wished to publicise the report and were unable to do so because of the ban on a certain member combined with inability to meet these conditions, then that would be their problem for choosing to elect a person banned from CC.

There was not a habit of routinely posting this material here while that person was unbanned so this is all a non-issue stirred up by you to attempt to troll and start fights.

Capablanca-Fan
04-11-2015, 01:25 AM
Could the spelling of the title of PSYCHIATRY : THE GENTLE ART OF MEDICALISING THE IMAGINERY AND THE OBVIOUS (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?16175-Psychiatry-The-gentle-art-of-medicalising-the-imaginery-and-the-obvious) please be corrected? (imaginary)

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
04-11-2015, 05:13 PM
Could the spelling of the title of PSYCHIATRY : THE GENTLE ART OF MEDICALISING THE IMAGINERY AND THE OBVIOUS (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?16175-Psychiatry-The-gentle-art-of-medicalising-the-imaginery-and-the-obvious) please be corrected? (imaginary)

That's quite amusing coming from a participant in the "free market" thread.

Can we also change the Psychiatry thread to the science/religion area as it is more akin to religuon than anything else.

Capablanca-Fan
05-11-2015, 03:25 AM
That's quite amusing coming from a participant in the "free market" thread.
Not sure why. Free marketers that best economic results come when consenting adults are free to make economic transactions that harm no one else, with no third party forbidding them. There is no incompatibility with that belief and wanting correct spelling in thread titles. Misspellings in individual posts I generally ignore.

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
05-11-2015, 03:47 AM
Not sure why. Free marketers that best economic results come when consenting adults are free to make economic transactions that harm no one else, with no third party forbidding them. There is no incompatibility with that belief and wanting correct spelling in thread titles. Misspellings in individual posts I generally ignore.

Are you sure it should be Free marketers or free marketers ? :hmm:

antichrist
22-11-2015, 09:37 PM
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?12434-Money-matters/page17
what should I do when demons like Larry lead me into temptation?

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
22-11-2015, 09:55 PM
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?12434-Money-matters/page17
what should I do when demons like Larry lead me into temptation?

What should one do when silly trolls like AC post comments about stamping on the Aussie flag ?

Hmmmm I wonder ..........

Kevin Bonham
22-11-2015, 10:39 PM
Moderation Notice

I might not do anything about the Money Matters thread (beyond perhaps splitting the joke posts) because the jokes on it don't look like they are going to cause a serious derailment into off-topic political rubbish. However antichrist has had more than enough warnings about not posting completely off-topic content in this thread, and for his completely off-topic (and now deleted) reply to Ltvu's post above, antichrist is banned from this thread (the one you are now reading) for a month.

Patrick Byrom
05-05-2017, 02:09 PM
Although I'm generally fairly conservative about splitting threads, I think the "Foreign Aid" thread has gone severely off-topic. I think the recent posts, however interesting, probably belong in the "free market, media, etc" thread.

Kevin Bonham
05-05-2017, 10:34 PM
Although I'm generally fairly conservative about splitting threads, I think the "Foreign Aid" thread has gone severely off-topic. I think the recent posts, however interesting, probably belong in the "free market, media, etc" thread.

It's been way off topic for some time. I've gone back a fair way and moved everything from what seems to be the tangent point that doesn't explicitly mention normal forms of "foreign aid". It is one that is hard to split cleanly. I've put it on a new thread because the strand of conversation is one that comes up here repeatedly, usually from one particular poster, so I thought I'd give it a home of its own.

Patrick Byrom
06-05-2017, 12:41 AM
It's been way off topic for some time. I've gone back a fair way and moved everything from what seems to be the tangent point that doesn't explicitly mention normal forms of "foreign aid". It is one that is hard to split cleanly. I've put it on a new thread because the strand of conversation is one that comes up here repeatedly, usually from one particular poster, so I thought I'd give it a home of its own.Thanks, Kevin - I think that's the best outcome.

Capablanca-Fan
09-05-2017, 07:24 AM
Might be worth belated correcting the spelling of "tendancies" on this old thread (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?6159-What-are-ya!-Poll-on-Religious-Tendancies). [done-mod]

Basil
11-05-2017, 12:34 AM
Might be worth belated correcting the spelling of "tendancies" on this old thread (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?6159-What-are-ya!-Poll-on-Religious-Tendancies). [done-mod]
Oh my giddy aunt! Gunner would turn in his grave. He extends his thanks.

Capablanca-Fan
27-06-2017, 01:42 PM
Welcome back, Elliott!

Basil banned? Good grief.

Rincewind
27-06-2017, 01:55 PM
Basil banned? Good grief.

I was surprised too that a poster of long standing would not know the rules regarding the higher standard of what is considered acceptable in the shoutbox.

Rincewind
27-06-2017, 01:59 PM
Mother superior, only recently banned Chess Chat’s legendary member Basil for using the f..word to describe the leftard low lives! I am sure it wasn’t the f-word mother superior found offensive , it was its application to the followers of his beloved political agenda.

Nonsense since the shout was not censored in any way other than redacting the offensive word. If the purpose was to censor the political view the shout could have been removed in toto. In any regard the ban was largely symbolic since it was only the default seven days and Basil is presently a infrequent poster.

Andrew Hardegen
28-06-2017, 06:10 PM
Nonsense since the shout was not censored in any way other than redacting the offensive word. If the purpose was to censor the political view the shout could have been removed in toto. In any regard the ban was largely symbolic since it was only the default seven days and Basil is presently a infrequent poster.

Both the ban and the redaction of the shout are forms of censorship -- one much more severe than the other, as it silences the poster completely. Naturally from the perspective of a left-of-centre moderator, banning conservative posters is far more efficient than redacting or deleting individual posts or shouts, as there will no longer be any conservative posts or shouts that they disagree with to redact.

Kevin Bonham
28-06-2017, 09:09 PM
A brief pet peeve on this: nothing that is done on this board is censorship. Censorship is an action of governments. The owners of private property (including this board) choosing what they will or will not publish using that property has nothing to do with censorship and is never a violation of freedom of speech and always the essence of it - whether those decisions are good ones or bad ones. For more information on these facts see this thread: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?4050-Pol-phil-101-Freedom-of-speech-and-association

I'll also add that the pattern of bannings on CC over time has been that left-wing and/or politically confused posters are far more often banned for long periods or for good than the clearly right-wing posters.

Patrick Byrom
28-06-2017, 11:25 PM
Both the ban and the redaction of the shout are forms of censorship -- one much more severe than the other, as it silences the poster completely. Naturally from the perspective of a left-of-centre moderator, banning conservative posters is far more efficient than redacting or deleting individual posts or shouts, as there will no longer be any conservative posts or shouts that they disagree with to redact.Do you have any evidence that conservative posters are being banned, apart from the one case under discussion?

Regarding the specific example, whether it is censorship or not - and I tend to agree with Kevin that it isn't - there are definitely children who post on this site, and I don't think it's a good idea to be exposing them to offensive language. They may not be offended, but their parents may see it differently. And it's very difficult to avoid seeing what's in the shoutbox.

Capablanca-Fan
29-06-2017, 03:32 AM
I'll also add that the pattern of bannings on CC over time has been that left-wing and/or politically confused posters are far more often banned for long periods or for good than the clearly right-wing posters.
I must say that I think that the moderation is quite fair on this site. Despite huge ideological differences between me and the mods, I have never been banned, and the very few posts that have been deleted were for reasonable moderation reasons not for viewpoint. All the same, a PM to Basil as well as the redaction of the swear word would have been less heavy-handed than a week's ban, given his very constructive posts for many years, and he is certainly no troll.

Patrick Byrom
29-06-2017, 01:38 PM
I must say that I think that the moderation is quite fair on this site. Despite huge ideological differences between me and the mods, I have never been banned, and the very few posts that have been deleted were for reasonable moderation reasons not for viewpoint. All the same, a PM to Basil as well as the redaction of the swear word would have been less heavy-handed than a week's ban, given his very constructive posts for many years, and he is certainly no troll.I definitely support the redaction.

I think the moderators do a good job, and don't deserve the unsupported attacks that have been made on them.

But I also thought the ban was a little strong. However, as Basil has always been a consistent supporter of tougher penalties, I assumed he would naturally want the same rule applied to himself :)

Andrew Hardegen
30-06-2017, 04:17 PM
Do you have any evidence that conservative posters are being banned, apart from the one case under discussion?

You are missing the point.

Basil's post expressed a political view. The moderator redacted the swear word and banned Basil for 7 days, preventing him from continuing to express any of his views for that period.

The moderator was rightly challenged by Elliott, who asserted that this was precisely the motivation for the ban -- to prevent Basil from expressing any political views that the moderator did not support.

The moderator replied that this was not the case, since while he had prevented Basil from posting for 7 days, he had only redacted the original post and not deleted it.

To me, this response doesn't seem to address Elliott's concern.

Regarding the specific example, whether it is censorship or not - and I tend to agree with Kevin that it isn't - there are definitely children who post on this site, and I don't think it's a good idea to be exposing them to offensive language. They may not be offended, but their parents may see it differently. And it's very difficult to avoid seeing what's in the shoutbox.

Of course swearing on this forum is unacceptable, and of course in all instances, swear words should be removed by moderators. But in my view the ban was completely over the top.

Patrick Byrom
30-06-2017, 05:00 PM
You are missing the point. Basil's post expressed a political view. The moderator redacted the swear word and banned Basil for 7 days, preventing him from continuing to express any of his views for that period. The moderator was rightly challenged by Elliott, who asserted that this was precisely the motivation for the ban -- to prevent Basil from expressing any political views that the moderator did not support. The moderator replied that this was not the case, since while he had prevented Basil from posting for 7 days, he had only redacted the original post and not deleted it. To me, this response doesn't seem to address Elliott's concern.But how could the moderator have addressed Elliot's concern? Elliot provided no evidence for his claim which the moderator could have refuted. And the moderator did point out that the ban was for the standard seven days, implying that Basil had been treated no differently to anyone else - a claim which is (so far) unchallenged.

Of course swearing on this forum is unacceptable, and of course in all instances, swear words should be removed by moderators. But in my view the ban was completely over the top.When you say the ban was over the top (OTT), are you saying that this specific ban was OTT, or that a seven day ban for shoutbox swearing is always OTT?

Rincewind
30-06-2017, 09:57 PM
You are missing the point.

Basil's post expressed a political view. The moderator redacted the swear word and banned Basil for 7 days, preventing him from continuing to express any of his views for that period.

The moderator was rightly challenged by Elliott, who asserted that this was precisely the motivation for the ban -- to prevent Basil from expressing any political views that the moderator did not support.

The moderator replied that this was not the case, since while he had prevented Basil from posting for 7 days, he had only redacted the original post and not deleted it.

To me, this response doesn't seem to address Elliott's concern.

The ban was imposed on the 6th and lapsed on the 13th of June. No one contacted me directly to complain about the ban and Elliot's complaint was not posted until the 27th of June. Basil himself has been an very infrequent poster on the board only making 9 posts in 2017 thus far. (An average on less than one post every two weeks). Basil in the past has contacted me directly via email and could have contacted me if the ban in some way inconvenienced him in an unfair way.

If the ban was so draconian I find it surprising that no one seemed inclined to point it out while it was still active and since (based on current posting activity) it may have inhibited an estimate of one half of one post that Basil might have made - then how any political motivation to silence a political viewpoint could be inferred.

There are plenty of posters here that I have had more disagreements with their political views and whom I have never banned.

All this post hoc hand wringing seems to be completely baseless.

Patrick Byrom
01-07-2017, 01:37 PM
As the poster who originally posted the news about Cardinal Pell, I support the decision to take the thread off-line. I think what has been posted so far is probably okay, but further discussion could have easily overstepped the line.

As Pell has been charged, perhaps all the posts relating to him - including older ones - could be removed entirely, and the thread limited to general discussion of the issue of institutional sexual abuse? I would have no objection to my post reporting the charges being erased.

Kevin Bonham
01-07-2017, 02:02 PM
At the moment I'm looking at these issues:

* Three posts that seem to prejudge that Pell is innocent and one that could be read as implying that Pell is guilty.
* Some material on the old thread, including the title, that might have become accidentally sub judice in the context of the charges.
* Whether to split the two threads.

I'm keen to maximise the amount of discussion that can occur but this could well require some posts being moved to the Coffee Lounge and other changes. I don't intend to delete anything outright, though for the moment it is all offline while these issues are reviewed.

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
01-07-2017, 04:38 PM
For whom the Pell tolls. :)

Patrick Byrom
08-07-2017, 06:20 PM
Before there is yet more thread splitting ('Tribal Societies' seems on the verge of doing so), should there be a special 'Michael Baron' thread containing all the various threads started/dominated by Michael on 'Politics'? Because there does seem to be some overlap between these threads - apart from the presence of Michael Baron, of course :)

Kevin Bonham
08-07-2017, 06:53 PM
Before there is yet more thread splitting ('Tribal Societies' seems on the verge of doing so), should there be a special 'Michael Baron' thread containing all the various threads started/dominated by Michael on 'Politics'? Because there does seem to be some overlap between these threads - apart from the presence of Michael Baron, of course :)

We could even have a subforum!

I've noticed the above from time to time with other posters or sets of posters - that there are certain slush points that threads tend to get steered into and frequently bogged in more or less no matter what their starting matter. If I set up enough of these things I suspect I'll eventually cover all known strands of Baronism (there probably aren't all that many) and eventually wherever the discussion goes it can be shunted into a thread that already exists.

So long as posters are not blatantly threadjacking into irrelevant subjects it's OK if discussions drift off topic. One of the problems is that sometimes when posters post excerpts of media op-eds they try too hard to fit them into an existing thread they are not really relevant to instead of just starting a new one. From time to time I've closed or merged new threads because they were unnecessary duplicates but this hasn't been that common (antichrist excepted).

I'm not sure yet if I'm going to split the Western-superiority strand from the tribal societies thread. They are sort-of related. They may well drift apart and get split though.

Patrick Byrom
12-08-2017, 11:49 AM
Idledim's last two posts in the "Same-sex marriage" forum seem to be in violation of this decision:

Some posters are reminded that the "no illegal material" on this site includes material that breaches copyright, and also that many posters find the posting of long cut-and-pasted articles irritating and boring, especially if they are at a tangent to the main subject of the thread.

Posters are therefore requested not to lift copyrighted material in full from other sources. Quoting a reasonable portion of an article for comment purposes is OK. Material cut and pasted from other sites will be assumed copyright unless the mods have reason to believe otherwise.

The moderators reserve the right to delete, in full and without notice, any cut-and-paste jobs that are suspected of breaching copyright. Very long cut and pastes may also be deleted even if they do not breach copyright.
I don't think The Australian would appreciate us destroying their business model, especially given their recent financial problems.

Kevin Bonham
12-08-2017, 12:54 PM
Yes. Full site policies on copy-and-pastes of copyright material may be found in the sticky thread here:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?8973-Copyright-and-use-of-the-work-of-others-all-posters-in-this-section-please-read

Agent Smith
24-08-2017, 06:00 PM
I have just edited a sigfile that was in breach of the following rule

Don't have second thoughts. I'm not sure who you are referring to, but JS's siglines are as a rule quite offensive imho. I mean, he's on my ignore list, but offensive sig lines don't create a nice experience for casual visitors. People come here looking for info and feedback and chess related topics and tournaments, and they are instantly abused by the sigs of some people, who occasionally post in such forums of course.

And on a simliar note, would it be possible to make the "New Posts" search give less priority to non-chess threads? The titles of these are often deliberately provocative and in some ways offensive, sadly, even when posted in an accurate way. This would also give a better impression for the common Chess-related visitor.

Just My 2 cents for making the site more friendly. :)

Kevin Bonham
24-08-2017, 08:28 PM
Don't have second thoughts. I'm not sure who you are referring to, but JS's siglines are as a rule quite offensive imho. I mean, he's on my ignore list, but offensive sig lines don't create a nice experience for casual visitors. People come here looking for info and feedback and chess related topics and tournaments, and they are instantly abused by the sigs of some people, who occasionally post in such forums of course.

This has been a tricky matter in the past. The current rule is:

* The moderators/admins reserve the right to delete any sig files they deem to be inflammatory or controversial. This includes but is not limited to criticism of other members, this site or its moderation/administration.

We could certainly ban political/religious sigfiles but there should probably in that case be something close to consensus among members with an interest in the subject that all such sigfiles be disallowed (whether left/right/Christian/atheist/whatever). As I use my own sigfile to link to my politics site - which is mostly harmless but now and then provocative - I would probably want the other moderator(s) to make the primary decision on that one.

And on a simliar note, would it be possible to make the "New Posts" search give less priority to non-chess threads? The titles of these are often deliberately provocative and in some ways offensive, sadly, even when posted in an accurate way. This would also give a better impression for the common Chess-related visitor.

Good suggestion. As far as I'm aware there is no way within the vB software to change the display of New Posts in this manner. I think however that a poster can stop non-chess threads showing in their New Posts search manually each time they check New Posts if they first go to Non-Chess and mark that forum as read. Other mods may be aware of something.

Rincewind
24-08-2017, 10:50 PM
My understanding is that the New Posts functionality could be changed to not display posts from certain forums but that would be annoying to people posting in those forums and would also require changing code with is problematic since those sorts of changes are typically lost when upgrading the vBulletin software.

Patrick Byrom
25-08-2017, 01:46 AM
...Good suggestion. As far as I'm aware there is no way within the vB software to change the display of New Posts in this manner. I think however that a poster can stop non-chess threads showing in their New Posts search manually each time they check New Posts if they first go to Non-Chess and mark that forum as read. Other mods may be aware of something.What about if the Politics and Religion and Science threads were restricted, as the Coffee Lounge is?

Kevin Bonham
25-08-2017, 01:51 AM
What about if the Politics and Religion and Science threads were restricted, as the Coffee Lounge is?

I'm pretty sure that would work but then those sections would no longer be Google-able. Sometimes Google is actually better for finding old content on the forum than the forum's own search engine.

Agent Smith
25-08-2017, 09:43 PM
Good suggestion. As far as I'm aware there is no way within the vB software to change the display of New Posts in this manner.
Ok - I'm no web programmer. I was just thinking of how Talkchess split up their forums into a few sections, and it is very easy to go to the "Computer Chess Club: General Topics" new posts and ignore the other sections (if desired of course).

Capablanca-Fan
08-02-2018, 02:44 AM
The thread Money Matters (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?12434-Money-matters) seems to have been started to discuss money management, saving, investment, etc. But a lot of the latest posts seem to belong on Welfare spending (sf various threads) (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?16843-Welfare-spending-(sf-various-threads)/page15).

Patrick Byrom
08-02-2018, 01:08 PM
Now that one kudzu thread (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KudzuPlot) created by (ER and) Michael has been cleaned up, can we move the posts relating to this:

Another amazing milestone for your company and yourself Michael! It's up to you to post details here ...
to the "In recognition" thread - started by ER for this very purpose!

antichrist
25-02-2018, 07:11 AM
I just noticed this link that you posted about Axiom https://www.facebook.com/Exposing-Axiom-Seer-897180810295840/, on that page it contains this link [link deleted - KB] - that defines and outlaws anti-semitism in the UK. As not agreeing with this their definition of anti-semitism I would like to create a thread to discuss it, it is important because that law could be copied in Australia one day.

Kevin Bonham
25-02-2018, 10:41 AM
I just noticed this link that you posted about Axiom https://www.facebook.com/Exposing-Axiom-Seer-897180810295840/, on that page it contains this link [link deleted - KB] - that defines and outlaws anti-semitism in the UK. As not agreeing with this their definition of anti-semitism I would like to create a thread to discuss it, it is important because that law could be copied in Australia one day.

I am considering the request but I have deleted the link as it was posted by "Axiom Seer" (ie Axiom).

Kevin Bonham
25-02-2018, 01:33 PM
I am not allowing any linking to that video posted by Axiom, as while the first few minutes consist of media reporting of an issue it then moves into paranoid hate material. I am also not allowing creation of a new thread about the issue. You can use the existing Israel/Palestine thread to comment about the issue of defining anti-semitism and the proposed UK definition if you like but extremist, hateful or stupid material may be deleted.

antichrist
25-02-2018, 02:32 PM
I am not allowing any linking to that video posted by Axiom, as while the first few minutes consist of media reporting of an issue it then moves into paranoid hate material. I am also not allowing creation of a new thread about the issue. You can use the existing Israel/Palestine thread to comment about the issue of defining anti-semitism and the proposed UK definition if you like but extremist, hateful or stupid material may be deleted.

agree completely, I only looked at the first few mins of that link.

antichrist
04-04-2018, 10:38 AM
Alex Vander Zwaan only got 30 days banishment for lying to the FBI Mueller inquest - I get worse than that here - it ain't fair

antichrist
12-04-2018, 12:59 PM
Hi KB, I have no idea whether I have been barred from welfare speaking for 12 months maybe, if you can't remember as well then bygones can be bygones - thanks

Kevin Bonham
12-04-2018, 07:35 PM
Hi KB, I have no idea whether I have been barred from welfare speaking for 12 months maybe, if you can't remember as well then bygones can be bygones - thanks

Yes you are banned from that thread until March 4 2019. I have deleted your more recent posts and replies to them but there is no further penalty at this stage.

Kevin Bonham
15-04-2018, 11:29 AM
Yes you are banned from that thread until March 4 2019. I have deleted your more recent posts and replies to them but there is no further penalty at this stage.

I have now split the posts you were replying to to a new thread. The posts won't be undeleted because they were originally posted to a thread you were banned from. However you are now able to post on the new drug policing thread if you want (just try to keep it sensible).

antichrist
15-04-2018, 02:05 PM
I have now split the posts you were replying to to a new thread. The posts won't be undeleted because they were originally posted to a thread you were banned from. However you are now able to post on the new drug policing thread if you want (just try to keep it sensible).

I thought my last post there touched your heart - thanks

antichrist
23-04-2018, 11:01 AM
that guy referred to Mod Decisions and Rules is he barred yet?

Kevin Bonham
23-04-2018, 03:30 PM
that guy referred to Mod Decisions and Rules is he barred yet?

Yes we banned him quickly in 2015 and will ban any new account he signs up. Weirdly after spamming and threatening like crazy around the time of his banning he went quiet for over two years and has just fired up again.

antichrist
17-10-2018, 06:10 AM
New [17-10, 01:34] Kevin Bonham: antichrist is warned to desist from trolling in the shoutbox

I think we have a constitutional crisis. One law prevents us from damaging our image in the Shoutbox but there must be another law somewhere that permits severe mangling of the Queen's English in the Shoutbox. It is certainly not a good for high class visitors - the saying that the first image is the most important. They would think that we have just escaped from the Detroit lock-up. Whereas in Michael Baron's case it is unintentional.

Kevin Bonham
17-10-2018, 10:35 AM
New [17-10, 01:34] One law prevents us from damaging our image in the Shoutbox but there must be another law somewhere that permits severe mangling of the Queen's English in the Shoutbox.

Your own shouts are frequently just as incoherent. For instance one of your most recent ones read:

Winx almost yesterday - did anybody almost have a heart attack?

Obviously a word missing there.

I don't agree that sprout's colourful phrasing is a problem in terms of visitor impressions as compared to swearing, angry ranting, pointless monologues or political extremism. If you keep trolling him you'll be given a holiday.

As you have now seen the warning I've removed it.

antichrist
17-10-2018, 02:51 PM
Your own shouts are frequently just as incoherent. For instance one of your most recent ones read:

Winx almost yesterday - did anybody almost have a heart attack?

Obviously a word missing there.

I don't agree that sprout's colourful phrasing is a problem in terms of visitor impressions as compared to swearing, angry ranting, pointless monologues or political extremism. If you keep trolling him you'll be given a holiday.

As you have now seen the warning I've removed it.

Due to being unable to edit Shoutbox posts they are incorrectible - all due to a certain incident about 15 years ago. Did you watch that race by the way - the announcers almost had a heart attack as well, Winx was coming last and boxed in till the last bend. It was like God giving Steinitz queen odds and behind two queens in the end game.

Capablanca-Fan
21-10-2018, 04:39 PM
I'm pretty sure that would work but then those sections would no longer be Google-able. Sometimes Google is actually better for finding old content on the forum than the forum's own search engine.

Not just sometimes, but most of the time in my experience.

antichrist
23-10-2018, 10:14 AM
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?6637-Man-Made-Climate-Change-Issues-and-debates&p=441434#post441434

post 4228

I want to dob in Mr Capa fan for reprinting an article and not making one word of comment intelligent or otherwise whereas in when I re-posted an article about Nazi abuse I drew a parallel with what Trump was doing - yet mine was censored?? I will see Mr Mueller about this!

Kevin Bonham
23-10-2018, 01:41 PM
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?6637-Man-Made-Climate-Change-Issues-and-debates&p=441434#post441434

post 4228

I want to dob in Mr Capa fan for reprinting an article and not making one word of comment intelligent or otherwise whereas in when I re-posted an article about Nazi abuse I drew a parallel with what Trump was doing - yet mine was censored?? I will see Mr Mueller about this!

The original source for that post is three years old and was a post on a blog that does not display a copyright notice; although copyright still subsists it suggests they're not greatly concerned about material being shared. He did quote most of it in chunks but it was a relatively small post to begin with whereas the one you used was long. (He did also have one line of comments in brackets.) Also I am not convinced the article was written with expectation of profit. It's possible he's marginally over the line of the standards here: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?8973-Copyright-and-use-of-the-work-of-others-all-posters-in-this-section-please-read but even if so, so marginally I'm not doing anything about it unless the author of the material complains.

Also, I'm imposing a seven-day statute of limitations for future dobbing about alleged breaches of this rule (so you can dob about that one but I won't have you digging through old posts to dob on). If we miss something that breaches copyright the copyright owner can complain.

antichrist
24-10-2018, 02:08 AM
The original source for that post is three years old and was a post on a blog that does not display a copyright notice; although copyright still subsists it suggests they're not greatly concerned about material being shared. He did quote most of it in chunks but it was a relatively small post to begin with whereas the one you used was long. (He did also have one line of comments in brackets.) Also I am not convinced the article was written with expectation of profit. It's possible he's marginally over the line of the standards here: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?8973-Copyright-and-use-of-the-work-of-others-all-posters-in-this-section-please-read but even if so, so marginally I'm not doing anything about it unless the author of the material complains.

Also, I'm imposing a seven-day statute of limitations for future dobbing about alleged breaches of this rule (so you can dob about that one but I won't have you digging through old posts to dob on). If we miss something that breaches copyright the copyright owner can complain.

I consider the authors a bit hypocritical in copyrighting something that was based on someone else's work made only a hundred years ago. [snip -mod]

Kevin Bonham
24-10-2018, 08:52 AM
For falsely claiming that I had accepted his analogy with Trump's actions when I had in fact ignored it, and for continuing to carry on with off-topic blather about Trump, antichrist is completely banned from commenting on moderation of this site (including on other sites) for two weeks.

Furthermore antichrist is not permitted to use analogies of any kind when commenting on moderation in the future.

Capablanca-Fan
31-10-2018, 12:38 AM
Given the way 2018 Isle of Man thread (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?17367-2018-Isle-of-Man) has gone, I suggest that it be renamed The Two Knights versus Pawn Endgame and placed in the Chess Training section. So far, there has been no discussion on the tourney as such, and there could well be more discussion on the endgame.

antichrist
09-11-2018, 06:06 AM
The shoutbox was responding very slowly to posts this morning so I thought I had mistakenly pressed the wrong button so posted again.

antichrist
28-11-2018, 06:17 AM
I have used the term hash wednesday, I am using it in the Lebo context of meaning grass - meaning we cut the lawn that day

Capablanca-Fan
01-01-2019, 05:25 AM
Would not the new Extinctions thread be better in Religion and Science than in Politics, even though it was extracted from a Politics thread?

Frank
07-01-2019, 03:52 PM
Help wanted:

I received a message on the screen purportedly from "Vlad" saying there was a private message for me and that if I was concerned about political correctness and not about the truth then do not open it. I cannot locate this message now. In my inbox there is a private message headed "Smantha talking rubbish" purportedly from "Vlad".

I dislike the tone of the now lost message. How do I delete the item in my Inbox before I open it by accident?

Is this some kind of spam?

Kevin Bonham
07-01-2019, 04:21 PM
I dislike the tone of the now lost message. How do I delete the item in my Inbox before I open it by accident?

Go to Notifications near top right corner of screen, choose Inbox from the dropdown (it is often the only option). A list of Private Messages comes up. To delete any message (whether you have read it or not) click on the small square box next to the time and date for that message at the far right hand side of the screen. (Do not tick the box at the very top of the far right hand side as that ticks all the other boxes).

Once you have ticked all messages you want to delete, click on "Selected Messages" on the right hand side at the bottom of the list of messages. A list of options including "Delete" comes up. Click the circle next to Delete and then click Proceed at the bottom of the menu.

Is this some kind of spam?

Probably not but if any CC member is receiving unwanted PMs from another CC member then they may send a PM to the other member just asking that member to not send them further PMs. Where a member asks another member not to PM them, it will often be treated as spam should the other member continue.

Desmond
28-02-2019, 01:57 PM
Suggest re-naming thread
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?16891-George-Pell-charged-with-historic-sex-abuse&p=446214#post446214
George Pell convicted of historic sex abuse

Patrick Byrom
28-02-2019, 11:39 PM
Suggest re-naming thread
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?16891-George-Pell-charged-with-historic-sex-abuse&p=446214#post446214
George Pell convicted of historic sex abuseI think we should wait a few months until his appeal is heard.

Kevin Bonham
01-03-2019, 12:02 AM
I think we should wait a few months until his appeal is heard.

I like to update titles as events change, especially when the event is somebody losing the Ashes.

I've updated it to "convicted" but also noted "(appeal pending)".

antichrist
10-06-2019, 06:57 PM
My mate ER from Asylum Thread
"no way that's your mob's crappy tucka that I wouldn't even shit on let alone eating it."

Just as there are guidelines for members professional sensitivities are there similar for ethnic sensitivities?

Kevin Bonham
10-06-2019, 07:25 PM
My mate ER from Asylum Thread
"no way that's your mob's crappy tucka that I wouldn't even shit on let alone eating it."

Just as there are guidelines for members professional sensitivities are there similar for ethnic sensitivities?

Not when you start the exchange in question, which you did.

ER
10-06-2019, 07:35 PM
plus as I had clarified in the relevant thread (#880) before your complaint

Nothing to do with discriminating re food.
I am just allergic to tomato and lemon mixed together, separately ok as in tomato in salads and other foods and lemon in steaks and stuff no probs.
Falafels too oily for my taste.

What about your remark re vegemite, which I don't mind just a tad of, on my toast (with butter) and mustard which I use when making mayo?

antichrist
10-06-2019, 07:41 PM
plus as I had clarified in the relevant thread (#880) before your complaint

What about your remark re vegemite, which I don't mind just a tad of, on my toast (with butter) and mustard which I use when making mayo?

I admit nothing like a serving spoon of Vegemite in a large saucepan of vegetable soup. A cous fresh off the ship thought it was axle grease.

Patrick Byrom
01-07-2019, 04:53 PM
Is unprovoked scatological speculation about my death and burial permitted? I think he's joking, although I'm not clear on what the joke is supposed to be.

... Fatuous, verballing rubbish. If you ever have an enema they could bury you in a matchbox!

Desmond
01-07-2019, 06:42 PM
Is unprovoked scatological speculation about my death and burial permitted? I think he's joking, although I'm not clear on what the joke is supposed to be.

Not an original, I'm afraid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3p8Xwf0JvE

antichrist
02-07-2019, 12:01 AM

My mate, Matt Sweeney, got deported to Siberia for exotic suggestions.

antichrist
02-07-2019, 10:01 AM
KB: Removed "Miscellaneous Different-Sex Issues Thread" - too many stupid posts already.

AC: Unfortunately I think the problem has just moved house.

antichrist
10-07-2019, 11:49 AM
By not allowing telling of a comparative situation in another to make a point it severely restricts poetic licence, ability to make a point in a pointed colourful manner and makes the audience all sound like straight vegans who can't hear a story, have a bet and chew gum at the same time.

Kevin Bonham
10-07-2019, 12:19 PM
By not allowing telling of a comparative situation in another to make a point it severely restricts poetic licence

Your poetic licence has been revoked because you didn't pass the L-plate test.

antichrist
10-07-2019, 11:30 PM
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?6637-Man-Made-Climate-Change-Issues-and-debates&p=450669#post450669

post 4557
Sir, I would like to dob someone in for an off topic comparative situation - comparing climate change knowledge with loan interest calculations. I know I have left it in good hands.

Kevin Bonham
10-07-2019, 11:57 PM
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?6637-Man-Made-Climate-Change-Issues-and-debates&p=450669#post450669

post 4557
Sir, I would like to dob someone in for an off topic comparative situation - comparing climate change knowledge with loan interest calculations. I know I have left it in good hands.

That's not an analogy, it's just a very weak argument.

antichrist
12-07-2019, 11:22 PM
Now mate re ruling in Tennis thread. I obviously was replying to this preceding post that also mentioned all those things that I am not allowed to mention in the one breath. Surely I was doing no more than my other mate, Michael.

Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
Tennis ratings promote activity as opposed to chess ones so someone coming off injury will have to rely on PR (protected rating) or Wild Cards to get into tournaments.

Kevin Bonham
12-07-2019, 11:47 PM
Now mate re ruling in Tennis thread. I obviously was replying to this preceding post that also mentioned all those things that I am not allowed to mention in the one breath. Surely I was doing no more than my other mate, Michael.

Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
Tennis ratings promote activity as opposed to chess ones so someone coming off injury will have to rely on PR (protected rating) or Wild Cards to get into tournaments.

Nah, Michael was posting completely on-topic because he was pointing out the reason why tennis ratings differ from chess ones, following an also on-topic suggestion that a system resembling chess ratings (although not explicitly described by me as such, because Elo ratings are now used for many things) would be more predictive for tennis. He was pointing out that even though it's less predictive, there's some sort of reason why it is used for tennis. You then made a response that was completely about chess ratings and completely irrelevant to tennis, and when I deleted it you then smuggled the same content back into a purely chess-related sentence in another post that was mostly about tennis.

It's not rocket science - posts that are entirely about chess go on chess threads - make them on a relevant thread or if there isn't one, start a new one. You don't have to post in the same thread just because you're replying to someone, and I know you know this and were just being lazy.

antichrist
13-07-2019, 12:02 AM
Nah, Michael was posting completely on-topic because he was pointing out the reason why tennis ratings differ from chess ones, following an also on-topic suggestion that a system resembling chess ratings (although not explicitly described by me as such, because Elo ratings are now used for many things) would be more predictive for tennis. He was pointing out that even though it's less predictive, there's some sort of reason why it is used for tennis. You then made a response that was completely about chess ratings and completely irrelevant to tennis, and when I deleted it you then smuggled the same content back into a purely chess-related sentence in another post that was mostly about tennis.

It's not rocket science - posts that are entirely about chess go on chess threads - make them on a relevant thread or if there isn't one, start a new one. You don't have to post in the same thread just because you're replying to someone, and I know you know this and were just being lazy.

I have adopted the position that if just making a comment or comparison that it doesn't deserve a new thread, that is wasting bandwidth and makes it burdensome if someone is checking through thread titles. I prefer a new thread to be a "winner" and have a life. My mind can't help but notice comparisons across a broad spectrum.

antichrist
19-07-2019, 10:32 PM
In post 308 here http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?17433-China-and-totalitarianism/page21 my mate Dr Baron is using a chess analogy in a political thread - I find it very challenging as I am attempting to reform.

antichrist
24-07-2019, 07:03 PM
Hi Boss, can I use an off topic comparison in an non chess topic - like two X negatives make a positive?

Kevin Bonham
24-07-2019, 07:49 PM
Hi Boss, can I use an off topic comparison in an non chess topic - like two X negatives make a positive?

The main issue is whether it is likely to cause the thread to go off-topic and leave me having to move posts around to stop the thread from going off the rails.

There's a chance it might be OK if you avoid a comparison to any of the following: chess on a non-chess thread, politics on a sport thread, sport on a politics thread, anything to do with the Trump or Obama families, Serena, anything that has its own thread that people are likely to respond to with posts that belong on the other thread, Nazis, Israel, Palestine, any trolling, anything crass, any other forum or anything LGBTIQ+ related in any way.

antichrist
25-07-2019, 08:52 AM
The main issue is whether it is likely to cause the thread to go off-topic and leave me having to move posts around to stop the thread from going off the rails.

There's a chance it might be OK if you avoid a comparison to any of the following: chess on a non-chess thread, politics on a sport thread, sport on a politics thread, anything to do with the Trump or Obama families, Serena, anything that has its own thread that people are likely to respond to with posts that belong on the other thread, Nazis, Israel, Palestine, any trolling, anything crass, any other forum or anything LGBTIQ+ related in any way.

thanks, I could manipulate the Queen Mary through the big gap you left. But is it almost anything goes in my famous analogies thread? That is my prayer room.

Kevin Bonham
25-07-2019, 12:09 PM
thanks, I could manipulate the Queen Mary through the big gap you left.

I only said there is a chance it might be OK otherwise. I didn't say how big that chance was. :lol:

But is it almost anything goes in my famous analogies thread? That is my prayer room.

Pretty much, but I will still delete material from there if it comments on moderation of the forum, is offensive, trolls another poster or is too crass.

antichrist
26-07-2019, 09:33 AM
In the case if Nazi an Commo thread, I would like to compare that with aspects of another thread that has the "ultimate" protection because I consider them similar positions but is a landmine for me to attempt.

Kevin Bonham
27-07-2019, 06:41 PM
As I keep having to delete off-topic posts (just deleted another one) it may be useful that you remember you have this thread:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?4631-Off-topic-Bin/page15

(same conditions apply as for analogies thread)

antichrist
28-07-2019, 02:21 PM
Hi Boss, at that place I was barred from if a thread didn't attract much attention then after a while they would delete - not a bad idea to trim many dead branches.

Kevin Bonham
28-07-2019, 03:27 PM
Hi Boss, at that place I was barred from if a thread didn't attract much attention then after a while they would delete - not a bad idea to trim many dead branches.

We generally don't do that here - it's a waste of effort, it mucks up the stats and there's no need to. If there's some special reason to remove an old thread from view we can do so.

Patrick Byrom
03-08-2019, 10:27 PM
I support kicking all Folau discussions into a separate thread - although there are a lot of posts involved, so it may be too much work.

Kevin Bonham
04-08-2019, 12:44 AM
I support kicking all Folau discussions into a separate thread - although there are a lot of posts involved, so it may be too much work.

It's very easy when it's just going through and checking them all when it's clear which posts are to be split, even if there are hundreds.

The difficult thread splits are the ones where there are a lot of posts that are about 10% on topic and 90% not, and where there is a lot of wandering back and forth on and off topic.

antichrist
04-08-2019, 12:50 PM
If the thread is non chess have you gauged posters' opinions as to whether they mind it going off-topic?

Patrick Byrom
04-08-2019, 01:42 PM
If the thread is non chess have you gauged posters' opinions as to whether they mind it going off-topic?I don't mind a thread going off-topic, but I am in favour of corralling runaway off-topic posts into a separate thread. You should try reading an unthreaded blog (like Pollbludger) where every topic is mixed together - it's not pretty!

Patrick Byrom
09-08-2019, 11:34 PM
... antichrist was the offender ... An excellent example of a tautology :)

antichrist
15-08-2019, 08:10 AM
May I post in Richard Voon thread how during a gambling game of chess he was about to be attacked with a chair so he rushed in with 3 quick jabs to the head and he won the fight as well as the $10?

antichrist
15-08-2019, 08:49 PM
Posts deleted

Deleted off-topic tangent started by antichrist about euthanasia of severely impaired babies. This is clearly a different issue to cases where the mother has postpartum depression but the baby is presumably fine, and because antichrist continually sends threads off-topic I am erring on the side of deleting his posts where they cause severe thread drift.

Any discussion of this may be had in the Help and Feedback section only.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My side of is that when someone makes an empathic statement that it should be examined and if possible challenged by exceptions or mitigating circumstances. When I dabbled in philosophy, debates would go into related areas and NEVER were they censored or stopped due to off topic or thread drift. Like Charles Darwin's evolution "tree" branches shoot off here and there. Also like in chess when an opening transforms into a obscure off-shoot that requires intensive analysis to know best knowledge.

Another point was that an argument had to be "internally" and "externally" consistent (my terms). That is the principle could be examined in all situations ( considered off topics here) in an attempt to erode the argument.

Finally (hopefully), in my last Shout I "equate" suicide with voluntary euthanasia - a bit of a jump and poetic license but it shows a possible connection for discussion purposes. No one has complained and the sky has not fallen in.

Kevin Bonham
15-08-2019, 09:16 PM
My side of is that when someone makes an empathic statement that it should be examined and if possible challenged by exceptions or mitigating circumstances.

You weren't doing this; you were just jumping in on something that sounded vaguely similar to something you have banged on about before in order to bang on about the same thing again. It wasn't relevant either to the subject of the thread (which is basically claims of a breakdown in law and order resulting from supposedly lenient sentencing and bail practices) or to the comment it was made in reply to (which addressed the claim that too many criminals were getting off by pleading mental illness with a relevant counter-example).

When I dabbled in philosophy, debates would go into related areas and NEVER were they censored or stopped due to off topic or thread drift.

Philosophy was one of my undergrad majors. It is pretty much like any other university subject. Generally when someone started going way off topic in tutorials, the tutor would drag the discussion quickly back to something relevant while the rest of the class rolled their eyes at the (typically) mature-age student responsible for the off-topic digression. And anyone who responded to a philosophy exam question or assignment by addressing a side-topic and really not answering a clearly expressed question would generally not get a good mark at all.

antichrist
16-08-2019, 06:56 AM
You weren't doing this; you were just jumping in on something that sounded vaguely similar to something you have banged on about before in order to bang on about the same thing again. It wasn't relevant either to the subject of the thread (which is basically claims of a breakdown in law and order resulting from supposedly lenient sentencing and bail practices) or to the comment it was made in reply to (which addressed the claim that too many criminals were getting off by pleading mental illness with a relevant counter-example).

Philosophy was one of my undergrad majors. It is pretty much like any other university subject. Generally when someone started going way off topic in tutorials, the tutor would drag the discussion quickly back to something relevant while the rest of the class rolled their eyes at the (typically) mature-age student responsible for the off-topic digression. And anyone who responded to a philosophy exam question or assignment by addressing a side-topic and really not answering a clearly expressed question would generally not get a good mark at all.

Staying on topic I have replied here: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?9728-Gotta-Put-somewhere&p=452129#post452129

antichrist
17-08-2019, 10:04 AM
May I post in Richard Voon thread how during a gambling game of chess he was about to be attacked with a chair so he rushed in with 3 quick jabs to the head and he won the fight as well as the $10?

I am tempted to take no news as good news

antichrist
28-08-2019, 01:05 AM
Excuse me Sir but I am bursting to deposit some words of wisdom in Chess Whatever - I could suffer a miscarriage at any moment.

Kevin Bonham
28-08-2019, 12:00 PM
Excuse me Sir but I am bursting to deposit some words of wisdom in Chess Whatever - I could suffer a miscarriage at any moment.

It is open. Don't post any political analogies in it again or it might be permanently otherwise.

antichrist
29-08-2019, 11:36 AM
It is open. Don't post any political analogies in it again or it might be permanently otherwise.

my intended post could be seen as a bit controversial but will get there when not busy

Capablanca-Fan
06-09-2019, 07:12 AM
This new thread (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?17693-Free-Daily-Chess-Content-by-GM-Max-Illingworth)looks like it would be more helpful in Chess Training rather than General Chess Chat, of course if the author agrees.

antichrist
08-09-2019, 04:12 AM
Mr Moderator I will to complain that racial issues are off-topiccing in the Even the Criminals are Laughing thread. Non whites never laugh after being killed by police.

Kevin Bonham
08-09-2019, 08:32 AM
Mr Moderator I will to complain that racial issues are off-topiccing in the Even the Criminals are Laughing thread. Non whites never laugh after being killed by police.

Dr Moderator not Mr.

Seems Michael has caused his own thread to go off-topic in this instance. I'm not necessarily going to protect threads where the thread-starter causes them to degenerate into the usual culture war sludge.

antichrist
20-09-2019, 07:19 AM
Dr Moderator, I wish to dob in my mates in worst Australian PM thread for being off topic - they even put my efforts to shame.

Kevin Bonham
20-09-2019, 03:58 PM
Dr Moderator, I wish to dob in my mates in worst Australian PM thread for being off topic - they even put my efforts to shame.

Posts moved - had Abbott been PM when he made the comments I would have considered them on-topic.

antichrist
28-09-2019, 03:50 PM
Dr Moderator, surety Idledim's last post in Climate change thread breaks guidelines of length without critical comment.

ER
28-09-2019, 06:09 PM
Dr Moderator, surety Idledim's last post in Climate change thread breaks guidelines of length without critical comment.

It's only because the article kicks your environ mental mates ass, if it was some other crap like blunder's postings you would have taken it gladly you biased person!

Kevin Bonham
28-09-2019, 07:49 PM

Seems to me it is covered by the following:

* The article is being quoted for the purposes of critical review of something else appearing on the board (for instance, to refute a claim another poster has made.)

(though perhaps we should change "refute" to "attempt to refute")

There is also "The mods may also take action against cut-and-pastes that are extremely long, [..]" but in this case I am not, at this stage, inclined to.

Patrick Byrom
29-09-2019, 02:28 PM

* The article is being quoted for the purposes of critical review of something else appearing on the board (for instance, to refute a claim another poster has made.)

There is also "The mods may also take action against cut-and-pastes that are extremely long, [..]" but in this case I am not, at this stage, inclined to.Strictly speaking, he wasn't even attempting to refute anything, as what was posted had no relevance to the points that I had raised (even though he was supposedly replying to my post). And, even in those cases, my opinion is that posters should do what I was taught in school: Summarise the conclusions of an article in their own words, and only quote the parts of the article necessary to support their points. That would also demonstrate that posters actually understood what they are posting!

So I wish people wouldn't do it (quote slabs of text), but I don't have a problem with the occasional transgression. The worse problem is that it's impossible to respond to such a post in detail without clogging everything up :)

Capablanca-Fan
01-10-2019, 12:12 AM
Strictly speaking, he wasn't even attempting to refute anything, as what was posted had no relevance to the points that I had raised (even though he was supposedly replying to my post). And, even in those cases, my opinion is that posters should do what I was taught in school: Summarise the conclusions of an article in their own words, and only quote the parts of the article necessary to support their points. That would also demonstrate that posters actually understood what they are posting!

So I wish people wouldn't do it (quote slabs of text), but I don't have a problem with the occasional transgression. The worse problem is that it's impossible to respond to such a post in detail without clogging everything up :)

Actually that is good advice. I will try to do better at following it.

antichrist
01-10-2019, 01:19 AM
From Authenticity of quotes made by famous people

Moderation Notice

antichrist is only permitted to post on this thread if his posts are strictly on-topic, ie strictly confined to the issue of the authenticity of quotes made by genuinely famous people.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

In the case of quotes attributed to non-historical people can they be examined or how can they be examined?

antichrist
01-10-2019, 01:36 AM
Is the term Nazi now no longer #### out?

Kevin Bonham
01-10-2019, 10:30 AM
Is the term Nazi now no longer #### out?

It never was here.

idledim
01-10-2019, 12:47 PM

There is also "The mods may also take action against cut-and-pastes that are extremely long, [..]" but in this case I am not, at this stage, inclined to.

If you are thinking of changing your wording, the word you are probably looking for is rebut - from the French reboter (to thrust back, to butt).

As to the length of the post in question (#4904 in the climate change thread), it followed an accusation from Patrick Byrom (#4901) "that it's clearly pseudoscience."

My view was, and is, that the best way to rebut such an accusation is to let the accused speak! Whether or not the rebuttal achieved its aim is a matter for the adjudicators.

My initial post on this matter (#4882) was not long and simply pointed readers to the source material. It is my submission that #4904 should be seen in the context of the accusation that preceded it. It is also my view that the only way to properly rebut the arguments of Mototaka Nakamura is to respond to them directly.

antichrist
07-10-2019, 07:28 PM
I will apologise for ER and myself for Shoutbox indiscretions.

KB:No crassness in the shoutbox please; I've flushed the last week or so of shouts.

AC: Well at least you tried - you may need to proceed with impeachment, the evidence is there and fresh.

Kevin Bonham
07-10-2019, 08:47 PM
KB:No crassness in the shoutbox please; I've flushed the last week or so of shouts.

AC: Well at least you tried - you may need to proceed with impeachment, the evidence is there and fresh.

Seems OK at the moment to me. I don't have much faith in it remaining so.

antichrist
17-10-2019, 10:02 AM
Dr Moderator, thanks so much for allowing a bit of T...p in shoutbox - this guy is going to bring down western civilisation so we just can't deny him headlines. He is more dangerous to USA than all commo threats combined. I hope his name allowed once in this pigeon box this time.

Kevin Bonham
17-10-2019, 10:50 AM
Dr Moderator, thanks so much for allowing a bit of T...p in shoutbox - this guy is going to bring down western civilisation so we just can't deny him headlines. He is more dangerous to USA than all commo threats combined. I hope his name allowed once in this pigeon box this time.

That came with a tag "for now". If you gratuitously overuse it there you'll be banned from mentioning him there too.

antichrist
21-10-2019, 06:50 AM
Dr Moderator, is the Coffee Lounge late opening today?

Kevin Bonham
21-10-2019, 10:20 AM
Dr Moderator, is the Coffee Lounge late opening today?

Looks open as normal to me.

Kevin Bonham
25-10-2019, 08:00 PM
By the way, another site I post on (pollbludger) has a rule that if you block another poster you're not allowed to gloat about it.

I'm not intending to implement such a rule here but I mention it for interest.

Patrick Byrom
26-10-2019, 12:05 AM
By the way, another site I post on (pollbludger) has a rule that if you block another poster you're not allowed to gloat about it. I'm not intending to implement such a rule here but I mention it for interest.I can see the point of blocking a poster who is specifically trolling you. But when a poster is simply taking part in a discussion, it seems pointless, because unless you block everyone else you're likely to see the offending posts anyway (a regular complaint on Pollbludger!) :)

Desmond
26-10-2019, 07:21 AM
I can see the point of blocking a poster who is specifically trolling you. But when a poster is simply taking part in a discussion, it seems pointless, because unless you block everyone else you're likely to see the offending posts anyway (a regular complaint on Pollbludger!) :)

In Elliott's case, he seems not to be after a discussion where people reasonably present evidence contrary to his a priori position, but an echo chamber. A private message group with his nuthuggers might be a better fit.

Patrick Byrom
26-10-2019, 02:40 PM
In Elliott's case, he seems not to be after a discussion where people reasonably present evidence contrary to his a priori position, but an echo chamber. A private message group with his nuthuggers might be a better fit.I've never understood why people post in a public forum, and then get upset when other people disagree with them. As you say, a private group (on Facebook, perhaps) would suit ER much better.

Desmond
30-10-2019, 01:10 PM
Is it possible to unsubscribe from a specific thread so that it doesn't appear in your New Posts page every time a post is made?

antichrist
03-11-2019, 10:59 AM
Note on quoting for AC - if adding bold tags you need to make sure the bold tag is closed before the start of the closing quote tag.

[/B][/QUOTE] not [[/B]/QUOTE]

that was done on my phone with tech dificulties and was getting as upset as Fischer's book made me

Ian Rout
28-11-2019, 01:49 PM
The way that some people carry on about American politics is a good illustration of the meaning of the American term "Get a life.".

Of course it's open to members either to not read the threads concerned or to hide posts from any especially egregious offender(s). However it seems that this ability is being circumvented by the Shoutbox being used as a supplementary debating forum, which has the problem of obscuring legitimate shouts. So I would like to propose that American politics be banned from the Shoutbox - or all non-domestic politics or all politics if that would be easier. I would further propose that it be enforced by zero tolerance, i.e. no second chances or appeals, just immediate suspension.

Kevin Bonham
28-11-2019, 02:21 PM
Thanks Ian. I've taken some action under the existing guidelines, and should have done so earlier, though we will also consider whether stronger policies on this issue are needed.

antichrist
28-11-2019, 07:58 PM
The way that some people carry on about American politics is a good illustration of the meaning of the American term "Get a life.".

Of course it's open to members either to not read the threads concerned or to hide posts from any especially egregious offender(s). However it seems that this ability is being circumvented by the Shoutbox being used as a supplementary debating forum, which has the problem of obscuring legitimate shouts. So I would like to propose that American politics be banned from the Shoutbox - or all non-domestic politics or all politics if that would be easier. I would further propose that it be enforced by zero tolerance, i.e. no second chances or appeals, just immediate suspension.

I can understand if you do not like how it should be modded is ? But the last chess shout was on 22/11 by Leon Sandler, I have noticed that on occasions the SB will keep the same shout on top for days at a time well I don't consider that a good look either which is this case would 6 days. Over activity is better than inactivity. At least politics is about serious issues and the particular recent topic we ODed on in the long term is also crucial for Australia.

Patrick Byrom
29-11-2019, 10:24 AM
The way that some people carry on about American politics is a good illustration of the meaning of the American term "Get a life.".We were discussing the impeachment (and possible removal) of a US President - a major issue which has dominated media coverage in Australia. That doesn't mean it belongs in the Shoutbox, of course.

Of course it's open to members either to not read the threads concerned or to hide posts from any especially egregious offender(s). However it seems that this ability is being circumvented by the Shoutbox being used as a supplementary debating forum, which has the problem of obscuring legitimate shouts. So I would like to propose that American politics be banned from the Shoutbox - or all non-domestic politics or all politics if that would be easier. I would further propose that it be enforced by zero tolerance, i.e. no second chances or appeals, just immediate suspension.I don't believe that there were any legitimate chess shouts over the period in question. As AntiChrist points out, if there's no chess activity in the Shoutbox over an extended period, it's not surprising if non-chess shouts start appearing.

But I have no objection to a ban on political discussions in the Shoutbox.

antichrist
29-11-2019, 07:04 PM
We were discussing the impeachment (and possible removal) of a US President - a major issue which has dominated media coverage in Australia. That doesn't mean it belongs in the Shoutbox, of course.

I don't believe that there were any legitimate chess shouts over the period in question. As AntiChrist points out, if there's no chess activity in the Shoutbox over an extended period, it's not surprising if non-chess shouts start appearing.

But I have no objection to a ban on political discussions in the Shoutbox.

Politics is okay in the SB depending on how it is presented. I think some lines that are show stoppers deserve coverage, a recent example being "the Russian hacking was a digital Pearl Harbour". Something a bit smart can be eye catching but sniping at each other is not good PR. KB has left the door a bit open for me and that is a good decision - he doesn't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. But nothing is worse than the same shout being up for a week - the place appears in the coffin. As some Yank famously stated "those born with fire in the belly find the calm boring".

ER
07-12-2019, 11:12 AM
Richard Voon's passing thread has been hijacked by completely irrelevant topics.
That's unfair for his memory.
I 'd suggest PeterJansen's interesting reminiscence to be transferred to some other thread
such as Australian chess history or LLoyd Fell related threads.

antichrist
14-12-2019, 06:35 PM
Should there be a rule that if someone states they are not talking to you then you should not be allowed to address or mention them? In person we probably wouldn't attempt to communicate

Kevin Bonham
14-12-2019, 07:26 PM
Should there be a rule that if someone states they are not talking to you then you should not be allowed to address or mention them? In person we probably wouldn't attempt to communicate

No. This is a public forum and so someone is free to comment on what someone else has said even if the other person has asked them not to or isn't talking to them. If a poster doesn't like another posters posts they can put that poster on ignore (preferably without gloating about it.)

The exception is private messages. We have at least once taken someone's PM rights away because they ignored a request from another member to not PM them again. That's not to say we would always do so. If A sends B a PM listing 100 ways in which B is a loser and closes it with "oh by the way don't PM me again" then that's not valid.

antichrist
15-12-2019, 06:14 AM
But when the said mute poster is conversing me in third person terms in the shoutbox I don't know whether it is proper for me to reply or not.

Kevin Bonham
15-12-2019, 04:03 PM
But when the said mute poster is conversing me in third person terms in the shoutbox I don't know whether it is proper for me to reply or not.

You might want to be sure they are in fact conversing with you and not others discussing the same subject at the same time, especially if you're going to start on a 12-shout reply that might just be you talking to yourself. (I've deleted the last one and may delete others.) I can see no evidence that any of ER's shouts since 26/11 are clearly in reply to you or referencing you.

Kevin Bonham
15-12-2019, 04:31 PM
You might want to be sure they are in fact conversing with you and not others discussing the same subject at the same time, especially if you're going to start on a 12-shout reply that might just be you talking to yourself. (I've deleted the last one and may delete others.) I can see no evidence that any of ER's shouts since 26/11 are clearly in reply to you or referencing you.

Ah OK I see what all that is about now. On the reasonable assumption that he was referring to you and a certain famous game here involving a writemove incident then yes you were at liberty to reply.

Kevin Bonham
15-12-2019, 04:50 PM
And indeed I have now deleted the shouts as his shouts were severely inappropriate for the shoutbox. Apologies for being slow to pick up what all that was about.

ER
16-12-2019, 03:51 PM
Is this warning official? I am asking because it doesn't seem to appear on my records!
I posted this on the shoutbox too since being in a hurry I couldn't locate this thread!

Kevin Bonham
16-12-2019, 04:35 PM
Is this warning official? I am asking because it doesn't seem to appear on my records!
I posted this on the shoutbox too since being in a hurry I couldn't locate this thread!

There is some kind of system for tallying moderation warnings against a user using the software but we don't use it. (Among other things I'm not certain if those infractions are invisible to all other non-moderator users.)

Anything posted on the moderation decisions thread is an official warning to anyone it may apply to.

antichrist
16-12-2019, 11:16 PM
My compliant is that you proved that my moves in the game are only 4th or 5th rate - thanks very much. I suppose I can only play what is against me. I would not mind opening a frank and fearless present for Crissie.

Kevin Bonham
16-12-2019, 11:28 PM
My compliant is that you proved that my moves in the game are only 4th or 5th rate - thanks very much.

It doesn't mean they're bad, just that the 3100-ish strength computer thinks a few others are slightly better. The only move in the game it thought was a significant error was after the game was continuing on the assumption that Rxc4 had been played when it was later established that this wasn't the case.

ER
17-12-2019, 03:37 AM
There is some kind of system for tallying moderation warnings against a user using the software but we don't use it. (Among other things I'm not certain if those infractions are invisible to all other non-moderator users.)

Anything posted on the moderation decisions thread is an official warning to anyone it may apply to.

ok thanks.
Now two more questions.
1) Is the length of the "long holiday" from the shoutbox, since according to initial wording the warning
refers to sb only, decided according to the seriousness of the breach ie are there set sentences?
2) In the case when member A is receiving unwanted and unsolicited private messages from member B does member A
i) communicate his complaint directly to member B?
ii) posts his complaint here in this thread?
iii) PMs or emails moderators about it?
iv) ignores the whole thing and moves on?
Thanks in advance

Kevin Bonham
17-12-2019, 08:21 AM
ok thanks.
Now two more questions.
1) Is the length of the "long holiday" from the shoutbox, since according to initial wording the warning
refers to sb only, decided according to the seriousness of the breach ie are there set sentences?

There are not but as a rough guide if the claims that I deleted were repeated I might kick the person repeating them out of the shoutbox for, say, six months, depending on provocation. Also if anyone wants to repeat them on a thread they need to do a forensic level job of proving them.

2) In the case when member A is receiving unwanted and unsolicited private messages from member B does member A
i) communicate his complaint directly to member B?

Yes. Member A should PM member B saying only "Please do not private message me again", and cc: that to me. (If you have recently PMd member B, and they haven't replied, wait a few days.)

A member who ignores such a request can lose their PM rights - has happened before.

Ian Rout
17-12-2019, 10:54 AM
It doesn't mean they're bad, just that the 3100-ish strength computer thinks a few others are slightly better. The only move in the game it thought was a significant error was after the game was continuing on the assumption that Rxc4 had been played when it was later established that this wasn't the case.
Is this famous game available somewhere?

antichrist
17-12-2019, 11:13 AM

If you find ignore my final 6 or so moves as there were extraneous circumstances. Actually those final moves would prove/strongly suggest that I was not using a computer.

Kevin Bonham
17-12-2019, 06:29 PM

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?9922-Mr-Antichrist-TheRealDeal-1-0-ToP-RuNg-Challenge-April-2009

My comment "The only move in the game it thought was a significant error " applies to AC's moves, not his opponent's.

Patrick Byrom
28-12-2019, 12:08 PM
Perhaps the more recent posts in the thread "History of Brisbane Chess Club" could be moved to a separate thread on the "History of Qld Chess" (there doesn't appear to be one already), as they have little to do with the Brisbane Club?

antichrist
30-12-2019, 12:54 PM
Dr Moderator, when barring mentioning controversial chess characters in off topic I first thought it was referring was to Paul D in Trump thread but then... The other guy in Sudan thread was mentioned to be sort of a bodyguard and moderator.

antichrist
30-12-2019, 01:11 PM
Mean while we are getting off with off topic murder in Einstein/Newton thread but I suppose if no body complains that all is hunky dorey

Kevin Bonham
30-12-2019, 01:16 PM
Dr Moderator, when barring mentioning controversial chess characters in off topic I first thought it was referring was to Paul D in Trump thread but then... The other guy in Sudan thread was mentioned to be sort of a bodyguard and moderator.

As a general rule, if you mention somebody who is banned from here and it is not immediately 100% obvious to me that the mention is entirely on topic and in no way gratuitous then you will at minimum lose the post. If I even have to think about it, I'll delete it.

Patrick Byrom
30-12-2019, 03:29 PM
Mean while we are getting off with off topic murder in Einstein/Newton thread but I suppose if no body complains that all is hunky doreyI've brought us back on topic. But while we were wandering all over the place, it would be hard for Kevin to know exactly how to intervene. And no one was complaining, as you say.

Kevin Bonham
30-12-2019, 03:35 PM
I've brought us back on topic. But while we were wandering all over the place, it would be hard for Kevin to know exactly how to intervene. And no one was complaining, as you say.

Yes I had a look at that one and my eyes glazed over. If anyone wants it split they can suggest (somewhere in this section, not on the thread) an initial post to split and a proposed title, and I'll think about it - otherwise if there are no complaints and no blatant threadjacking I'll let it go.

Capablanca-Fan
31-12-2019, 04:12 AM
I am OK with it at present. If the thread starter says, "This is off-topic for a discussion which was about how we should teach Einsteinian rather than Newtonian physics, not debates about medieval science or lack thereof," then there would be a case for a new thread. Maybe a title like Were the Middle Ages really so dark? might be warranted, but then AC, PB, and I would need to agree on what would belong there. So it might be more trouble than it's worth.

antichrist
31-12-2019, 06:35 AM
Once I got involved without even knowing that G stood for gravity the topic was certain to vir off course in spite of a beautiful launch. I have got it - those Black Holes are the void of hell - what a discovery and in this thread.

antichrist
02-01-2020, 12:57 AM
How about an amnesty for Starter or whoever he had evolve into.

Quid pro quo I will be perfect until end of financial year.

Kevin Bonham
02-01-2020, 09:41 AM
How about an amnesty for Starter or whoever he had evolve into.

I won't be unbanning him for any reason (see #309 of Moderation Rules and Decisions thread) but it's possible some other admin might if he negotiates with them and apologises for his false claims about CC moderation posted elsewhere.

However I don't believe he wants to return since he's frequently said it was the "Alert, mop and bucket required" responses to some of his more disingenuous posts that caused him to leave.

antichrist
02-01-2020, 10:00 AM
I won't be unbanning him for any reason (see #309 of Moderation Rules and Decisions thread) but it's possible some other admin might if he negotiates with them and apologises for his false claims about CC moderation posted elsewhere.

However I don't believe he wants to return since he's frequently said it was the "Alert, mop and bucket required" responses to some of his more disingenuous posts that caused him to leave.
I expect chess players to have ideosinceies and his are not nasty so he's okay mate - I am not back channeling him

Kevin Bonham
02-01-2020, 10:03 AM
I expect chess players to have ideosinceies and his are not nasty so he's okay mate - I am not back channeling him

I think you're just mentioning a banned user in this thread to try to start a fight because I banned you from doing it in other threads.

antichrist
02-01-2020, 10:23 AM
I think you're just mentioning a banned user in this thread to try to start a fight because I banned you from doing it in other threads.

A bit over thinking there but no. For a few days I thought you were referring to controvial Paul D. in Idiot thread.

antichrist
09-01-2020, 07:01 AM
If each member has about 2mb of uploading how much roughly has my mate Capa Fan used?

Patrick Byrom
09-01-2020, 02:54 PM
If each member has about 2mb of uploading how much roughly has my mate Capa Fan used?That limit would be per post, not over your entire life :)

antichrist
09-01-2020, 03:27 PM
That limit would be per post, not over your entire life :)

Listen mate I studied computers in 1974 and I learnt everything rote topping the class having no idea what it was about because I wasn't mildly interested - true story.

Desmond
09-01-2020, 04:36 PM
That limit would be per post, not over your entire life :)

Pretty sure it's total. If you go to your profile you can manage attachments from there. You can delete old ones if you need to free up room.

I had this problem after I came off premium membership. Premium had IIRC 10MB or something, so I was over and had to remove a bunch.

antichrist
09-01-2020, 05:26 PM
Mr 94% was correct after all

Patrick Byrom
09-01-2020, 05:46 PM
Mr 94% was correct after allBased on the red bar under My Settings -> Attachments, you were absolutely right - the total limit is 2MB. Which means that my ancient phone has more storage capacity :(

Adamski
09-01-2020, 05:53 PM
Pretty sure it's total. If you go to your profile you can manage attachments from there. You can delete old ones if you need to free up room.

I had this problem after I came off premium membership. Premium had IIRC 10MB or something, so I was over and had to remove a bunch.This is true. I have more than once had to delete attachments due to running out of space.

antichrist
15-01-2020, 06:44 AM
Hi Dr Moderator, just for clarification in rules thread last your post last few words "logging for a while" will you temporarily bar offenders for 3 months for example?

Kevin Bonham
15-01-2020, 10:21 AM
Hi Dr Moderator, just for clarification in rules thread last your post last few words "logging for a while" will you temporarily bar offenders for 3 months for example?

I just mean that I will delete the posts in question without recording on the thread or on the Moderation Decisions thread that they have been deleted. That notice refers to posters who, for instance, have something to post that is relevant to the crime and punishment thread but then carelessly post it on the Welfare thread instead. It doesn't refer to posters who, for instance, blather inanely about Donald Trump all over the forum - that will continue to be dealt with more harshly.

ER
16-01-2020, 02:09 AM
as long as you let him loose to tread in the Climate thread no problems.
As I have already stated before he's the only one of the climate warming mob that makes sense in a comprehensible way!

Kevin Bonham
16-01-2020, 09:10 AM
as long as you let him loose to tread in the Climate thread no problems.

If you mean AC he will be allowed on the Climate thread again from 13 April - see http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?6637-Man-Made-Climate-Change-Issues-and-debates&p=459597&viewfull=1#post459597

antichrist
16-01-2020, 09:23 AM
If you mean AC he will be allowed on the Climate thread again from 13 April - see http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?6637-Man-Made-Climate-Change-Issues-and-debates&p=459597&viewfull=1#post459597

You must realise that Michael by stating in the SB a week earlier that I had reached a new level was a challenge to heighten the bar. It was a beauty I will PM to ER one day.

ER
16-01-2020, 11:23 AM

:( Tragedy! yeah I meant him. I thought he was banned from the criminals laughing thread. Now, I will make a point, by abstaining
from the climate so a fair equilibrium can be established (one of 'em one of us)! That's until his triumphal return in the thread!
It will be the day I will be travelling to Sydney for the SIO by the way! Fitting day (almost an analogy) for a come back!

Frank
16-01-2020, 01:29 PM

I have a clear picture in my mind's eye: Prisoner in the dock, having been unequivocally condemned by the beak on the bench, himself a paid lackey of the crown (and itself an illegitimate successor of royal power) nevertheless exhibiting that convict defiance of authority which made a new nation great, making a last defiant stand under the guise of a request for clarification ("Dr Moderator"), before being sentenced to penal transportation for seven years to Port Arthur, which is far as you can send a man even at the zenith of the power of the British Empire.

ER
16-01-2020, 05:27 PM
... making a last defiant stand under the guise of a request for clarification ("Dr Moderator"), before being sentenced to penal transportation for seven years to Port Arthur, which is far as you can send a man even at the zenith of the power of the British Empire.

In which case a number of lashes with the "cat 'o nine tails" would complement the sentence fine!

antichrist
19-01-2020, 08:50 AM
Dr Moderator, there is constant doubting of my integrity whenever I mention
I was taught that stars were holes in the floor of heaven. I resent this questioning of my honesty. I feel like I am accused of lying without evidence. Could you, after years of dealing with me vouch for my integrity? Thanks.

Frank
19-01-2020, 09:53 AM
.. that stars were holes in the floor of heaven

Irrespective of whether we are discussing integrity[Devil's work], theology [I'd rather avoid], astronomy [I don't mind] or poesy [the real McCoy], this is methinks a lovely image to console modern man in his wretched present condition.

Kevin Bonham
19-01-2020, 09:59 AM
Dr Moderator, there is constant doubting of my integrity whenever I mention
I was taught that stars were holes in the floor of heaven. I resent this questioning of my honesty. I feel like I am accused of lying without evidence. Could you, after years of dealing with me vouch for my integrity? Thanks.

What you feel like you are accused of is irrelevant; what is relevant is what people are actually accused of and what evidence if any is presented.

And I've deleted your other post because it implied that I may have made an error when in fact you did not have your facts right concerning how many shouts there had been in the sequence in question.

antichrist
19-01-2020, 11:59 AM
What you feel like you are accused of is irrelevant; what is relevant is what people are actually accused of and what evidence if any is presented.

And I've deleted your other post because it implied that I may have made an error when in fact you did not have your facts right concerning how many shouts there had been in the sequence .

Now we are on the same page, you rightly objected to my "mistake" so you can understand my displeasure when in numerous threads they doubt my true words about what I was taught.

Kevin Bonham
19-01-2020, 02:28 PM
Now we are on the same page, you rightly objected to my "mistake" so you can understand my displeasure when in numerous threads they doubt my true words about what I was taught.

The golden rule as far as you are concerned needs to be to stop wasting my time. If there is a specific post that you believe needs moderation post a link to it. Otherwise, this matter is closed.

Kevin Bonham
21-01-2020, 05:44 AM
Otherwise, this matter is closed.

That goes for all other posters too. Following posts have been deleted to keep this thread from spiralling into off-topic discussions.

ER
22-01-2020, 12:57 AM

has his sentence been waved or something? I think I saw his name on the list of the climate thread responses.
If yes, it means that I don't have to wait till April 13 to visit the thread!

Kevin Bonham
22-01-2020, 10:24 AM
has his sentence been waved or something? I think I saw his name on the list of the climate thread responses.
If yes, it means that I don't have to wait till April 13 to visit the thread!

Unfortunately there is no automatic way to block someone from a specific thread, only from particular sections.

I have deleted the posts and PMd him a warning that he is not to post on the climate thread again prior to April 13. If he does I will kick him out of the entire politics section for six months.

antichrist must understand there are severe consequences when I keep having to have my time wasted cleaning up his rubbish.

ER
22-01-2020, 03:16 PM
there are severe consequences when I keep having to have my time wasted cleaning up his rubbish.

Although I am in no way willing to express any satisfaction for the punishment of a fellow ChessChat member, I have to admit that this is a very fair call! cheers!

antichrist
23-01-2020, 05:24 AM
Thanks ER, I am normally top marks at respecting decisions whether I agree with them or not. I will blame the lapse on #%$! Vertigo I had for a few days
It knocked me around mentally. I couldn't even get to the loo.

antichrist
26-01-2020, 08:39 AM
Although I am in no way willing to express any satisfaction for the punishment of a fellow ChessChat member, I have to admit that this is a very fair call! cheers!

Although I am in no way to express any satisfaction for the punishment of a fellow chesschat member, I have to admit it is a very fair call if post 27 in Aboriginal thread was just deleted as inappropriate for that thread. Cheers.

Kevin Bonham
26-01-2020, 09:28 AM
Although I am in no way to express any satisfaction for the punishment of a fellow chesschat member, I have to admit it is a very fair call if post 27 in Aboriginal thread was just deleted as inappropriate for that thread. Cheers.

Deserves either deletion if it was lazy off topic posting or suspension if it was deliberate trolling but I've moved it to an existing arguably vaguely relevant thread. I won't be so merciful next time.

Don't know how many times I need to say this: posters. should. not. make. off. topic. posts that are not even relevant as replies to other posts. If after a reasonable effort you can't find a relevant existing one then start a new one and if I can find a relevant existing one I will merge them. In this case I found a previous Australia Day titled thread by using Advanced Search and changing Search Entire Posts to Search Titles Only, but I did have to look a long way down the list.

Patrick Byrom
26-01-2020, 01:38 PM
... Don't know how many times I need to say this: posters. should. not. make. off. topic. posts that are not even relevant as replies to other posts. If after a reasonable effort you can't find a relevant existing one then start a new one and if I can find a relevant existing one I will merge them. In this case I found a previous Australia Day titled thread by using Advanced Search and changing Search Entire Posts to Search Titles Only, but I did have to look a long way down the list.I don't mean to be a nuisance, but wouldn't this thread (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?17098-The-Australian-Day-celebration-debate) (started by ER, no less!) be a better one? They seem to cover the same issues, so perhaps they should be merged?

ER's post also seems to be non-political (although antichrist's reply is not), so he probably should have started a separate thread outside of the Politics section. I don't believe that wishing someone "Happy Australia Day" is inherently a political act - although antichrist may disagree.

Kevin Bonham
26-01-2020, 01:46 PM
I don't mean to be a nuisance, but wouldn't this thread (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?17098-The-Australian-Day-celebration-debate) (started by ER, no less!) be a better one? They seem to cover the same issues, so perhaps they should be merged?

Yes, that one didn't show up in the search because the title is "THE AUSTRALIAN DAY CELEBRATION DEBATE" using "Australian Day" rather than "Australia" - oddly I had never noticed that before. I'll merge them.

ER's post also seems to be non-political (although antichrist's reply is not), so he probably should have started a separate thread outside of the Politics section.

I don't believe that wishing someone "Happy Australia Day" is inherently a political act - although antichrist may disagree.

I am not so sure it was non-political given that it was originally posted to the thread "Australian history: Aboriginal agriculture technology and ingenuity" but perhaps it was intended non-politically and the choice of that thread was simply careless or clueless.

Patrick Byrom
26-01-2020, 02:04 PM
Yes, that one didn't show up in the search because the title is "THE AUSTRALIAN DAY CELEBRATION DEBATE" using "Australian Day" rather than "Australia" - oddly I had never noticed that before. I'll merge them.Thanks. Any decent search algorithm - unlike Chess Chat's - should have found both.

I am not so sure it was non-political given that it was originally posted to the thread "Australian history: Aboriginal agriculture technology and ingenuity" but perhaps it was intended non-politically and the choice of that thread was simply careless or clueless.Given its original location, I suspect that your first explanation is correct :(

antichrist
26-01-2020, 04:08 PM
I am suspecting that Dr Moderator uses certain categories of profiling when checking out the board.

ER
26-01-2020, 04:24 PM
the choice of that thread was simply careless or clueless.
it was neither, I don't know if you have the mechanism to find people's attempts to search topics.
I searched quite some time with no results and I had to leave for a tournament game!
I thought the thread was relevant and stuck it there!
Wishing people Happy Australia Day a political statement?
To be honest I don't give a flying **** about the politically correct sensitivities of the protected species
who never miss a ****ing chance to turn everything moving into a ****ing political statement.
If you have something against me we can discuss it in private or openly or even one to one.
For the time being stop applying ball breaking thought control to me! It won't work!

Kevin Bonham
26-01-2020, 04:51 PM
I thought the thread was relevant and stuck it there!

To determine whether a thread is relevant it helps to read the full title, and if in doubt some of the posts, especially those at the start of the thread. I don't think this is difficult.

It should have been extremely obvious that a thread called "Australian history: Aboriginal agriculture technology and ingenuity" is specific to Aboriginal issues and is not a thread to which a post about Australia Day is relevant. If in doubt, start a new thread rather than posting to an existing one of dubious relevance.

For the time being stop applying ball breaking thought control to me! It won't work!

If you really really think that having your post leniently moved (not even deleted) for being rampantly off-topic is "ball breaking thought control" then ... I couldn't possibly comment!

This isn't about who is politically correct, or who isn't, or who should be or shouldn't be. It's about people on both sides of these debates failing to make reasonable attempts to stay on topic, which creates mess that I then have to clean up for the benefit of those who like to be able to find relevant posts about an issue, and who appreciate knowing whether or not new discussions on a thread are likely to be on-topic.

antichrist
26-01-2020, 07:43 PM
Dr Moderator, surely M Baron's post 581 in Australia Day thread is bordering on racist stereotyping? And his final post if you can interpret you are better than me. Happy Moderator's Day when ever that may be.

Kevin Bonham
26-01-2020, 08:00 PM
Dr Moderator, surely M Baron's post 581 in Australia Day thread is bordering on racist stereotyping? And his final post if you can interpret you are better than me. Happy Moderator's Day when ever that may be.

I don't personally like either the post's content or its idea of grammar but I don't believe it is "illegal vilification" so I can't see anything it should be modded for.

antichrist
26-01-2020, 08:40 PM
I don't personally like either the post's content or its idea of grammar but I don't believe it is "illegal vilification" so I can't see anything it should be modded for.

I thought if a post was likely to offend people for example on racial grounds that would be sufficient for modding regardless of governmental laws. If we had or have Aboriginal people viewing don't you think they could be grossly offended?

Kevin Bonham
26-01-2020, 10:52 PM
I thought if a post was likely to offend people for example on racial grounds that would be sufficient for modding regardless of governmental laws.

No or the place would be empty, starting with the removal of your sigfile. All sorts of posters may make posts that might offend somebody.

However, if it was a racial attack targeted at a poster who was Aboriginal then it would breach the rule against attacks based on "Irrelevant insults about personal attributes ".

antichrist
26-01-2020, 11:25 PM
No or the place would be empty, starting with the removal of your sigfile. All sorts of posters may make posts that might offend somebody.

However, if it was a racial attack targeted at a poster who was Aboriginal then it would breach the rule against attacks based on "Irrelevant insults about personal attributes ".

Just for the record a fair bit of violence occurred that day when defending that 666 motif. I assaulted many bods with it who were trying to get it off me. They were complaining to the cops that maybe I had broken their jaw etc.. then some "crazy" British Israeli guy insisted on representing me against the cops and Christians then safely took me to coffee. That's how you do it

Kevin Bonham
27-01-2020, 12:53 AM
Just for the record a fair bit of violence occurred that day when defending that 666 motif. I assaulted many bods with it who were trying to get it off me. They were complaining to the cops that maybe I had broken their jaw etc.. then some "crazy" British Israeli guy insisted on representing me against the cops and Christians then safely took me to coffee. That's how you do it

I said sigfile not avatar; pay attention.

antichrist
29-01-2020, 05:15 PM
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?17108-RIP-Trevor-Hay-ex-Oz-champion&p=460764#post460764

Here Peter Jansen is requesting advice about a topic that I would love to hear more about.

Kevin Bonham
29-01-2020, 05:16 PM
The Australia Day/Invasion has morphed into Climate change - can I jump in? I expect these posts to be re-located???

You might be better off expecting to have a quota put on how often you can post in this thread.

Posters can always make relevant replies to matters that have drifted off-topic within a thread unless there has been a specific restriction placed on them doing so. However your ability to discern what is "relevant" is residual at best so I would be very careful about it. In particular, responding to claims about public support for positions on climate change with a comment about those positions itself would be threadjacking.

Kevin Bonham
29-01-2020, 06:16 PM
You might be better off expecting to have a quota put on how often you can post in this thread.

To make this clear, you have made far too many silly/nuisance posts on this thread this month, although you have also raised some legitimate issues including in three of your last five posts.

In future months if you go above eight posts to this thread, or otherwise re moderation, in any month and I consider any of them to be silly then a quota will be set. If you make too many silly posts in this thread or about moderation, even without going above eight posts a month a quota will also be set.

Patrick Byrom
30-01-2020, 10:48 PM
I'm sorry, but I still don't see what Michael's post about the riot at Aurukun has to do with a thread about the treatment of protesters. That wasn't a protest, and is obviously going to receive different police treatment than a protest in Melbourne's CBD.

Kevin Bonham
30-01-2020, 11:46 PM
It is open to Michael to try to argue that a riot is relevantly equivalent to a protest if he wants to try that, and it is open to others to disagree.

ER
05-02-2020, 09:50 AM
what happened to that rule that people should avoid quoting whole chunks of text (or even as in this case the whole text) of other posters only to add an one liner?
The couple of examples in the Koshnitsky award are conspicuous cases! Another example in the Martin Niemöller's thread!

Kevin Bonham
05-02-2020, 11:02 AM
what happened to that rule that people should avoid quoting whole chunks of text (or even as in this case the whole text) of other posters only to add an one liner?
The couple of examples in the Koshnitsky award are conspicuous cases! Another example in the Martin Niemöller's thread!

It is not a defined site rule but from time to time the more severe examples / repeat practitioners will be snipped when I notice such cases and have time to deal with them. In some cases posts may be deleted.

Posters should be aware that requoting long posts in full unnecessarily clogs up the thread for others, forcing others to waste time scrolling through something they have already read.

There is a defined rule (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?8973-Copyright-and-use-of-the-work-of-others-all-posters-in-this-section-please-read) against quoting a long section of copyrighted text from other sites without permission and adding a very short comment - posters doing this should expect that their post will definitely be deleted. Fortunately hasn't been a common issue lately.

antichrist
10-02-2020, 05:55 AM
As I am disallowed from mentioning a certain country except outside it's special thread could my mate Michael be restricted to only mentioning Aborigines in threads where they are directly relevant?

Kevin Bonham
10-02-2020, 09:50 AM
As I am disallowed from mentioning a certain country except outside it's special thread could my mate Michael be restricted to only mentioning Aborigines in threads where they are directly relevant?

The cases are not equivalent. You, unless forcibly restrained, will gleefully post about your latest off-topic fetish (whatever it is) anywhere on the board for no reason at all, whereas Michael's tangents are confined to certain political threads where his position or a position he supports is under pressure. He may genuinely believe his comparisons are valid and reasonable.

That said I have considered placing such a restriction on off-topic comments about Indigenous people and may do so if the issue persists.

I also see now that you provoked Michael by re-raising Aboriginal issues on the thread; those posts have been deleted.

antichrist
12-02-2020, 03:53 PM
If I may suggest an amendment of the Never Trump in the SB as it effected me even though I was being a good boy. Maybe only two consecutive posts on US politics in the SB then no more until at least 8 other non-US shouts have been posted. Because there are beautiful one liners coming out of it that are gems. I think my last shout has been there on top for a number of days - not very good.

Garvinator
13-02-2020, 06:08 PM
Ohhh, so disappointed. Saw that antichrist had been banned and thought it was permanent. Disappointed that it is only for 24 hours :(

Patrick Byrom
15-02-2020, 12:39 PM
Posts moved
This is the non-chess off-topic thread so off-topic chess posts are off-topic even for this thread (and in a way that doesn't make them on-topic).
Chess-related posts have been moved to "Chess Whatever" which is the off-topic chess thread: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?9121-Chess-Whatever
Any discussion of this decision may occur in the Help and Feedback section only. Do not reply to this post.Thanks for moving those posts. I was fairly sure that they belonged in a chess thread, but didn't actually realise that the Off-Topic Bin (which I usually ignore) is only for non-chess posts. Anything that increases my number of actual chess posts is fine with me!

Kevin Bonham
15-02-2020, 01:02 PM
Thanks for moving those posts. I was fairly sure that they belonged in a chess thread, but didn't actually realise that the Off-Topic Bin (which I usually ignore) is only for non-chess posts. Anything that increases my number of actual chess posts is fine with me!

There have been a small number of chess-related posts in Off-Topic Bin from time to time but mostly just silly ones by antichrist. I decided that if people were going to have a reasonably serious discussion about a chess subject it should at least be in a chess section.

antichrist
15-02-2020, 03:24 PM
Can American colloquial expressions like ....pony rider be used in American politics threads. That was a Biden special that nailed them.

Kevin Bonham
15-02-2020, 04:30 PM
Can American colloquial expressions like ....pony rider be used in American politics threads. That was a Biden special that nailed them.

Not to insult other posters. That particular expression will cause problems sooner or later if used to insult other posters because it includes the term "lying" and might imply a serious claim of lying.

antichrist
18-02-2020, 09:30 PM
I want to walk the mine field of an analogy of a political matter (yes one of my fetishes) with that controversial thread in Coffee Lounge. I can't afford a St James chamber attorney to represent me. I have my parachute, safety helmet and bullet proof vest

antichrist
18-02-2020, 09:37 PM
Ohhh, so disappointed. Saw that antichrist had been banned and thought it was permanent. Disappointed that it is only for 24 hours :(

Is it constructive allowing such posts that could be seen to be putting the boot in to someone of which they have not communicated for a decade.

Patrick Byrom
19-02-2020, 06:16 PM
Is it constructive allowing such posts that could be seen to be putting the boot in to someone of which they have not communicated for a decade.I can see why people could find you annoying. But why don't they just block you?

antichrist
19-02-2020, 07:00 PM
I can see why people could find you annoying. But why don't they just block you?

Instead it is the opposite. I have noticed two critical posters quite follow me around the Board. There are a few others but they are silent so maybe enjoy the ride.

Kevin Bonham
19-02-2020, 07:10 PM
I can see why people could find you annoying. But why don't they just block you?

They can do that, but blocking does not remove quotes of the blocked user by posters who they haven't blocked.

Desmond
19-02-2020, 08:07 PM
Further to this, do not link approvingly to Nazi, neo-Nazi or white supremacist websites as they will almost always contain material that is illegal somewhere in Australia, even if there is nothing illegal on the direct page linked to. If it is really necessary to link to such a website, eg for the purposes of commentary on something said by another poster, then contact a moderator first for permission.
Sorry, just saw this now. Is linking to One Notion website ok? :lol:

Kevin Bonham
19-02-2020, 08:24 PM
Sorry, just saw this now. Is linking to One Notion website ok? :lol:

Yes. Linking to Australian political party websites for the purposes of critical discussion is generally fine even if their views might be a tad controversial. I think if there was anything illegal on ON's website it would be well known by now.

antichrist
25-02-2020, 07:51 PM
Dr Moderator, may I request that excellent Kasparov interview CNN link be allowed in SB? If so I will delete out of thread. It is political and displays his excellent strategic mind.

Kevin Bonham
25-02-2020, 08:22 PM
Dr Moderator, may I request that excellent Kasparov interview CNN link be allowed in SB? If so I will delete out of thread. It is political and displays his excellent strategic mind.

Then all the more reason why it should go on a thread. Don't ask for exemptions from that ruling re the shoutbox ever again because you won't get any.

Garrett
27-02-2020, 01:35 AM
Are there any rules governing the making of ChessChat posts whilst or straight after the consumption of alcohol ?

Asking for a friend.

cheers Garrett.

Kevin Bonham
27-02-2020, 09:54 AM
Are there any rules governing the making of ChessChat posts whilst or straight after the consumption of alcohol ?

Asking for a friend.

cheers Garrett.

We actually do have something like that: "* Posters who have been repeatedly moderated will be suspended if they post while apparently drunk."

The difficulty is being able to tell; some posters for all we know might be drunk every time they post. But with one long-ago banned poster it used to be obvious and we would kick him off for the night before he could say anything offensive.

(We only use this rule if a moderator happens to be online while the apparently drunk posting is in progress.)

antichrist
27-02-2020, 12:35 PM
Dr Moderator, I can guess at unclear proprietary, is it that some aspects of my my utterances may be untrue? Just so I can understand. Thanks.

Kevin Bonham
27-02-2020, 01:42 PM
Dr Moderator, I can guess at unclear proprietary, is it that some aspects of my my utterances may be untrue? Just so I can understand. Thanks.

It was more that your comment about Ukraine having championships was irrelevant to the discussion about his master title and was getting off topic to a degree not appropriate for a eulogy thread.

samantha was more to blame for the thread going off the rails than you but you have a long history of poor form on eulogy threads so you don't get the benefit of the doubt.

Kevin Bonham
27-02-2020, 01:53 PM
Quota on antichrist moderation comments

In January I warned that if "In future months if you go above eight posts to this thread, or otherwise re moderation, in any month and I consider any of them to be silly then a quota will be set. "

antichrist has made eight posts to this thread in this month and has also made other posts that mentioned moderation during it (which earned him a one-day ban).
I do also consider some (not all) of the posts made by AC about moderation during this month to have been silly.

Therefore antichrist is now placed on a quota of eight moderation comments per month. The following are all deemed to be moderation comments:

* Any post to this thread, whether it mentions moderation or not
* Any post mentioning moderation in the Help and Feedback section outside this thread
* Any PM to me asking or complaining about moderation

A post commenting about multiple unrelated moderation issues will be counted as multiple posts.

The reason for the quota is to stop antichrist wasting my time.

Any breach of this quota will result in antichrist being banned from commenting on moderation for a month, as will any antichrist post that mentions moderation that is made outside the Help and Feedback section or any antichrist shout that mentions moderation.

This quota starts at the beginning of March, antichrist may make one further moderation related comment before then.

antichrist
29-02-2020, 06:21 PM
Dr Moderator , twice when attempting to open link in ACF Newsletter thread I got warning from Norton of mal software.

antichrist
20-03-2020, 02:40 AM
Dr Moderator, I think Michael Baron's last post, 410, in Criminals are Laughing thread doesn't in any way fairly comment on a tragic situation where a highly deranged person was I think unnecessarily shot. An inquest would probably determine that he was not a criminal because unfit to stand trial. I think a person suffering depression could worsen upon reading Michael's comments. What good purpose is served by such a post?

Kevin Bonham
20-03-2020, 04:47 PM
Dr Moderator, I think Michael Baron's last post, 410, in Criminals are Laughing thread doesn't in any way fairly comment on a tragic situation where a highly deranged person was I think unnecessarily shot. An inquest would probably determine that he was not a criminal because unfit to stand trial. I think a person suffering depression could worsen upon reading Michael's comments. What good purpose is served by such a post?

I think the risk you raise is remote and I don't judge posts by whether they serve a good purpose, rather by whether they are against the rules or otherwise bad enough or off-topic enough to need removing. I try to let people express their views aside from that. The issues you have raised seem to me to be points that can be debated in response rather than points requiring moderation.

ER
26-03-2020, 11:00 PM
I see that the Money Matters thread is deteriorating into some nonsensical muttering rubbish bin as the latest post re asking Michael if a rapist overseas student was one of his students indicates!
Any chance to bring the thread back to order please? I made an irrelevant post there wishing Greta well in response to an Ian's post with news about ther state of health.
I am more than willing to remove or move it to another more relevant thread!

I corrected the above!

Kevin Bonham
27-03-2020, 07:12 AM
I see that the Money Matters thread is deteriorating into some nonsensical muttering rubbish bin as the latest post re asking Michael if a rapist overseas student was a rapist indicates!
Any chance to bring the thread back to order please? I made an irrelevant post there wishing Greta well in response to an Ian's post with news about ther state of health.
I am more than willing to remove or move it to another more relevant thread!

I'll do this later today, probably - I've closed the thread temporarily in the meantime.

Desmond
27-03-2020, 06:57 PM
The new thread is locked, not sure if intentional?
ECONOMIC RESPONSES TO CORONAVIRUS

Kevin Bonham
27-03-2020, 07:30 PM
The new thread is locked, not sure if intentional?
ECONOMIC RESPONSES TO CORONAVIRUS

Thanks, that was a mistake. I forgot that if I split from a locked thread then the new thread will be locked as well. Open for business now.

Garvinator
01-04-2020, 03:23 PM
I think it is appropriate to merge the two threads regarding Arianne Caoili into one thread. This would then contain when all of us first heard of her car accident and then follows along until news broke of her passing.

Otherwise, I do not see much purpose in the first thread. I had always taken it that the original thread would be used for updates, good or bad, and unfortunately the latest update is the worst news.

Desmond
01-04-2020, 03:25 PM
I think it is appropriate to merge the two threads regarding Arianne Caoili into one thread. This would then contain when all of us first heard of her car accident and then follows along until news broke of her passing.

Otherwise, I do not see much purpose in the first thread. I had always taken it that the original thread would be used for updates, good or bad, and unfortunately the latest update is the worst news.

Personally I think it's better to keep the tribute thread separate.

Kevin Bonham
01-04-2020, 03:29 PM
I think my concern is emotional - people who posted on the first thread thinking that Arianne was probably going to survive based on the information available at the time might not want their posts merged to the later thread. This might be an unfounded concern but I can't be sure, and that's why I'm inclined not to do it.

Adamski
01-04-2020, 10:48 PM
I also think the 2 threads should stay separate. Such sad news.

antichrist
03-04-2020, 10:21 AM
It may be time to re-assess the non editability of shouts. With mobile phone it is deadly easy to post in error but it cannot be corrected. Previous
" cheating" in editing was rare and confined to very few posters.

A week ago Sprouty may have shifted the goal posts in the SB but I loved it.

Desmond
03-04-2020, 03:50 PM
It may be time to re-assess the non editability of shouts. With mobile phone it is deadly easy to post in error but it cannot be corrected. Previous
" cheating" in editing was rare and confined to very few posters.

A week ago Sprouty may have shifted the goal posts in the SB but I loved it.I think at one stage Mods could do it. Not sure if that was a previous iteration on the SB.

I think we can do without this sort of comment:

New [03-04, 13:20] ER: You'd think that racist pigs existed only on social media outlets but during the COVID-19 their despicable presence is increasing even faster than the virus. Link on Wuhan Coro thread!

antichrist
03-04-2020, 04:20 PM
I think at one stage Mods could do it. Not sure if that was a previous iteration on the SB.

New [03-04, 13:20] ER: You'd think that racist pigs existed only on social media outlets but during the COVID-19 their despicable presence is increasing even faster than the virus. Link on Wuhan Coro thread!

I was hoping and prepared for the previous shout to survive a week out of respect.
I think the poster complaining about pigs also calls people towelheads but that is another story maybe. Peace and love to all.

Kevin Bonham
03-04-2020, 04:21 PM
I think at one stage Mods could do it. Not sure if that was a previous iteration on the SB.

Admins and mods can in theory edit shouts but for whatever reason I can't; I can only delete them, while it is working fine for the other admins. In theory we could extend the right to edit shouts to other usergroups but I am reluctant to do it especially given that it might end up working for some users and not others.

I agree. There is generally no need for posters to use the shoutbox to advertise posts they have made on a thread, especially a non-chess thread. Also shoutbox guidelines re "strident political soapboxing" apply - though I have no issue with the content of the shout, I have deleted it.