PDA

View Full Version : Website/forum for Sydney chess?

shan_siddiqi
01-09-2009, 05:49 AM
When I first came to Sydney back in February, one of the first things I did was to scour the Internet for up-to-date information regarding the local chess scene. I found the NSWCA website to be somewhat helpful, but it's not updated regularly and it's mostly there in an official capacity. What do you guys think of having a more informal website intended for people to discuss (or just view) things related to Sydney chess?

Melbourne has the MCC, so they have a central spot for all of the local chess players. I come from St. Louis, Missouri (in the US), where we had a really nice full-time chess club which served the same sort of purpose. Since we don't have a central location like that in Sydney, I was thinking that we could organize an online meeting spot where people could easily be updated on events, etc.

What I'm hoping is that something like this would allow local players to interact more closely. I'm imagining random get-togethers in the city where a bunch of people play outdoor blitz and create a sort of a spectacle, much like what I've seen in San Francisco and New York. Also, it'd create a more central way to advertise tournaments, discuss games, etc.

I was thinking that I'd just go and create a website, but the thought occurred to me that I don't want to be competing with this forum and with the NSWCA website. So, before I build a site, I thought I'd ask for the opinions of the people here - do you think that it'd take traffic away from this site? Also, is there a chance that this site could get local subforums? That might serve the same purpose.

arosar
01-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Just head over to the Town Hall train station, directly under St Andrews. There's chess there every day.

On Fridays, we head over to the Spanish Club where we play blitz for a couple of hours over some beers and sangria. If we get really lucky, sometimes we have big puppies come along like Jesse Sales. FM Smirnov used to go but he stopped for a long time now, which is sad because he is one of our favourite characters.

AR

ER
01-09-2009, 01:00 PM
What do you guys think of having a more informal website intended for people to discuss (or just view) things related to Sydney chess?

Hi Shan and welcome! Do your thing, explore the market etc, you will end up coming back here! This forum contains everything you are looking for! Just have a thorough look around it and you 'll see what I mean!
Cheers

shan_siddiqi
01-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Just head over to the Town Hall train station, directly under St Andrews. There's chess there every day.

On Fridays, we head over to the Spanish Club where we play blitz for a couple of hours over some beers and sangria. If we get really lucky, sometimes we have big puppies come along like Jesse Sales. FM Smirnov used to go but he stopped for a long time now, which is sad because he is one of our favourite characters.

AR

I go to Town Hall station fairly often - where/when exactly do they usually play?

arosar
01-09-2009, 04:19 PM
I told you man...underneath the cathedral, towards the back where Kathmandu store is. You can't miss 'em. It's like a whole friggin' chess club down there.

And it's on every day.

AR