PDA

View Full Version : Was I correct?

Phil Bourke
31-08-2009, 09:57 AM
In the last round of our Interclub matches, there occurred a situation where a clock was malfunctioning. I was involved in another game at the moment and though aware that there was something wrong, didn't stop my own game to check as the players were playing on.

After the game, the losing player raised an objection on the basis that he was in position of being time up and in a better position then when the clock malfunctioned, he played badly and lost.

It was brought to my attention for a ruling, my opinion was that the position was irrelevant, his opponent could well think that he was winning too, that the correct procedure would to have been to stop the game when the clock was noticed to be malfunctioning and have it replaced. That by process of discussion the amount of time remaining to each player could have been assessed and then continue the game. Seeing that the players had elected to play on with a faulty clock, the result should stand. Note that during the discussion, the winner never offered a draw as a compromise, so I took this to be a silent disagreement with the evidence offered by the loser. After conferring with the captain of the other team not involved in the game concerned, we issued that as a decision.

Was it a correct decision?

Garvinator
31-08-2009, 10:33 AM
In the last round of our Interclub matches, there occurred a situation where a clock was malfunctioning. I was involved in another game at the moment and though aware that there was something wrong, didn't stop my own game to check as the players were playing on.

After the game, the losing player raised an objection on the basis that he was in position of being time up and in a better position then when the clock malfunctioned, he played badly and lost.

It was brought to my attention for a ruling, my opinion was that the position was irrelevant, his opponent could well think that he was winning too, that the correct procedure would to have been to stop the game when the clock was noticed to be malfunctioning and have it replaced. That by process of discussion the amount of time remaining to each player could have been assessed and then continue the game. Seeing that the players had elected to play on with a faulty clock, the result should stand. Note that during the discussion, the winner never offered a draw as a compromise, so I took this to be a silent disagreement with the evidence offered by the loser. After conferring with the captain of the other team not involved in the game concerned, we issued that as a decision.

Was it a correct decision?
Yes.

Kevin Bonham
31-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Absolutely. Players must stop the clock and complain about this sort of thing during the game.

antichrist
31-08-2009, 05:44 PM
I was in a comp few years back when the boards were too closes together and the next board kept pressing my clock. I claimed to Bill that the distraction etc broke my concentration but did not cut ice with Big Bad Bill.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Jesper Norgaard
31-08-2009, 07:20 PM
I was in a comp few years back when the boards were too closes together and the next board kept pressing my clock. I claimed to Bill that the distraction etc broke my concentration but did not cut ice with Big Bad Bill.

Has this happened to anyone else?

As a matter of fact it happened to me three(!) times in the same rapid game, that I mixed up which clock to press (the same clock each time), and though I realized in the moment my mistake, and could correct the clock presses in the same instant (no time increment involved) it was just soooooo embarassing :wall: I am sure Herrn Alzheimer is to blame ...

Garvinator
31-08-2009, 07:22 PM
As a matter of fact it happened to me three(!) times in the same rapid game, that I mixed up which clock to press (the same clock each time), and though I realized in the moment my mistake, and could correct the clock presses in the same instant (no time increment involved) it was just soooooo embarassing :wall: I am sure Herrn Alzheimer is to blame ...
Jesper Alzheimer more like it ;)

antichrist
31-08-2009, 10:00 PM

Are you sure that your location is not Mexico but Sydney Australia, but I still managed to draw with my 2000- rated opponent so cant really complain as a good result for me.

Jesper Norgaard
01-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Are you sure that your location is not Mexico but Sydney Australia, but I still managed to draw with my 2000- rated opponent so cant really complain as a good result for me.
I know it is a bit of an unusual combination of a Dane living in Mexico chatting on an Australian Chess Chat server, but no I have never been "down under" (my father did recently). Maybe I have a soul mate in Sydney hitting the wrong clocks too :P

Perhaps your 2000+ opponent got even more distraught than you with the clock-hitting, but congrats with the result. :D

antichrist
02-09-2009, 02:47 PM
I know it is a bit of an unusual combination of a Dane living in Mexico chatting on an Australian Chess Chat server, but no I have never been "down under" (my father did recently). Maybe I have a soul mate in Sydney hitting the wrong clocks too :P

Perhaps your 2000+ opponent got even more distraught than you with the clock-hitting, but congrats with the result. :D

Yes, it only occured to me yesterday that maybe it affected him more than me, maybe it was my jumping up and down about it that helped distract him too.

ER
03-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Yes, it only occured to me yesterday that maybe it affected him more than me, maybe it was my jumping up and down about it that helped distract him too.
lol i don't think so, he wouldn't expect any better from an "arangatang" ;)