PDA

View Full Version : Southern Tas Junior Champs 30 Aug 2009 - report

Kevin Bonham
30-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Under 18 section

6.5/7 Jamie Briant (U16 winner), Mason Carter (U14 winner) (sharing U18 title)
4.5 Owen Short (U18 winner)
4 Daniel Wood (2nd U18), Nick Hunn, Cam Martin-Simpson (=2nd U16), Nicholas Gribble (2nd U14)
3 Dale Short, Amy Webster, Alina Krasnicki, Issac Riseley (all =3rd U14)
2 Matthew Scaife
1.5 James Hogue

Under 12 section

7 Harry Briant (U12 winner and title winner)
5.5 Cormac Lawrence (2nd U12)
5 William Jose (3rd U12), Matthew Barnes, Shuqi Yu, Gabriel Deayton, James Pash, Oscar Brown (all =1st U10)
4.5 Bradley Vince, Tristan Harris, Sebastian Krasnicki
4 Jem Thain, Emmanuel Klonaris, Riley Causon, Bill Chen, William Wardlaw-Kelly, Billy English, Nicholas Salisbury
3.5 Anurag Gillkum (U8 winner), Lachlan Gregory
3 Harshika Herath, Christos Klonaris, Thomas Chrisoulakis, George Lee (all =2nd U8), Oliva Lee, Lucas Kaiser, Oliver Haigh, Erynne Bugg, William Scott
2.5 Ben Sammut, Nakhita Martin, Yuvini Perera, Jordan Causon, Madeline Krasnicki
2 Patric Grice, Madeline Haigh, Riley Whelan
1.5 Christopher Wright
1 Rohan Corby, Connor Grice (latter withdrew)

This year's running of this event attracted a much larger field than in previous years. In particular, it appears that the handing out of $5 discount vouchers to players who scored 5/7 or more at Interschools was successful in recruiting more players. Time limit for both divisions was 15/+10. Recording of moves before 5 mins was encouraged in the interests of ensuring all players who did not already know how learned to score, but only enforced for the first 5 moves.

The players who took out first and second in the 40-player U12 seven-round swiss were the two I expected to, but what surprised me was that they did not even play. William Wardlaw-Kelly, who until recently was not as strong as his sister Erica, was coming off his best result in an interschool (6/7 in the reasonably strong South Hobart event) and defeated his schoolmate Cormac Lawrence in the first round. William then gave Harry Briant a bit of a scare in a strange game in which William won a piece for some pawns, then Harry sacced the exchange, so that on about move 13, Harry had four pawns for a rook. Harry also had an active queen and won. I think Harry won all his other games convincingly. Harry was involved in a four-way tie for the title two years ago but has not won it outright before now and he was clearly way above this field.

In the U18 tournament the top seeds were Jamie Briant, Owen Short and Mason Carter, all of whom are about the same rating. Unfortunately Owen couldn't win a trick, stalemating James Hogue in round 3, then missing a capture of Mason's queen in round 4, before finally getting mated by Jamie's bishop in round 6 in a long messy rook and bishop ending with both players short of time. The outcome was that Jamie and Mason shared first, drawing in round 3 but winning all their other games:

J Briant - M Carter

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 g6 3.c3 Nc6 4.d3 Bg7 5.Be3 d6 6.Be2 e6 7.Na3 Nge7 8.Qd2 0-0 9.Bh6 a6 10.Bxg7 Kxg7 11.Rd1 b5 12.d4 c4 13.b3 Qa5 14.Nb1 d5 15.e5 Qd8 16.0-0 Nf5 17.Qf4 Nce7 18.Nh4 Nxh4 19.Qxh4 Nf5 20.Qf4 Rh8 21.Bg4 Qh4 22.g3 Qe7 23.Bxf5 exf5 24.Rde1 h5 25.h4 Be6 Draw agreed on white's offer

Jamie has now shared the U18 trophy three years in a row, while it was Mason's first time on the U18 trophy.

For an interesting rook ending from the U18 event see here (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?p=253135).

Event organised primarily by Mellissa Harvey and Ross George (HIJCC). Arbiting/coaching by Nigel Frame, Kevin Bonham, Tony Sturges, Tom Krasnicki, Glen Gibbs.

Saragossa
30-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Excellent result for Jamie and Mason. Probably notable that White ,I think, stands pretty clearly better in the end position but I'm not one to judge on draw offers like that.

Looking forward to the Tasmanian juniors. And it is also good to see how many competitiors there were!

Kevin Bonham
31-08-2009, 12:53 AM
Probably notable that White ,I think, stands pretty clearly better in the end position but I'm not one to judge on draw offers like that.

They had about 4 mins + inc left each. I also think white is better but Fritz doesn't.

ER
31-08-2009, 03:24 AM
How come Lawrence and Horton weren't in this one?

Kevin Bonham
31-08-2009, 01:24 PM
How come Lawrence and Horton weren't in this one?

Outside the target region.

The Southern Junior and similar events are regional lead-ins to the Tasmanian Junior Champs to be held in Hobart on 10-11 Oct. Players don't need to play in them to qualify for the TJC but anyone who won a medal in the STJC (which by my count was just under half the field) gets half-price entry to the TJC and I think a similar thing applies to the other regional lead in events. There is a Northwest Junior as well (which Vincent would play in). I am unsure if there is a Northern Junior in Launceston (which would be the closest regional event for Lawrence) this year or not.

A note about the time control for the STJC. When increments are used and you have some inexperienced players you can get odd situations where some players will be bashing around trying to checkmate with multiple queens and half an hour each on the clock when most of the other games are finished. Because of that problem we did have to announce yesterday that we would adjudicate some extremely lopsided games if they were holding up the competition unreasonably. I think only 3-4 had to be curtailed this way but it is always possible that had those been played to a finish they would have ended in stalemate.

Kevin Bonham
03-09-2009, 10:16 PM
I found out today that Mason Carter was actually still eligible to play in the U12s if he wanted to, but chose to go and compete with the big boys (and girls) instead.