PDA

View Full Version : Australian Primary and Secondary Schools Chess Teams Finals 2009

klyall
30-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Australian Primary and Secondary Schools Chess Finals 2009

The Australian Junior Chess League (AJCL) is delighted to announce that the Australian Primary and Secondary Schools Chess Team Finals 2009 will be held at Scotch College, Hawthorn, Victoria on December 5 and 6, 2009. The venue will be the Cardinal Pavilion.

The AJCL would like to thank Scotch College for kindly agreeing to hosting this prestigious event, which will have the best primary girls and open, and secondary girls and open teams from each Australian state competing for the national titles.

A website is currently under construction. The website will include information on:

. accommodation suggestions
. map of Scotch and how to get to the Cardinal Pavilion
. allergy policy
. forms (that need to be completed)
. how to get to Scotch by public transport
. participants' names
. results (which will be populated once they are known)
. sponsorship
. taxi telephone numbers
. things not to bring to the competition (such as nuts)
. timetable

Kerry Lyall
Junior Development Officer
and organiser of the
2009 Australian Primary and Secondary Schools Chess Finals

klyall
30-08-2009, 09:09 PM
The ASTC rules state that

Each state can nominate one team to participate in each division. This would normally be their State Champions, but in the event of non-availability another team can be nominated. It is up to each state to determine the team. However the AusJCL imposes the condition that each team member must be a bona fide student of the school they are representing. i.e “composite” teams are not permitted. Where schools have split campuses, but are genuinely the same school, then a composite team is permitted. Where loose alliances of schools occur, a composite team would not normally be permitted. If there is any doubt, please apply to the AusJCL for a ruling.

Teams must be submitted in order of playing strength by no later than 15 October 2009. Where qualifying competitions have not yet finished the State organization will need to notify the organizing state by this time whether it is likely that a team will be entered in the various divisions and the rest of the information should be supplied as soon as possible after the final events.

klyall
30-08-2009, 09:11 PM
The ASTC rules note that

Playing strength will be in rating order. The rating used will be the normal ACF rating. If no normal ACF rating exists then either the ACF rapid rating or the local rating may be used. If a player is unrated and is being played ahead of a rated player then a justification of the order will be needed. Where teams are played out of rating order and the rating difference is more than 50 points, a justification of the order difference will be needed.

klyall
30-08-2009, 09:12 PM
The ASTC rules note that

The general intent is to ensure that there are at least 6 teams competing in each division. Where the number of teams entered in any division will result in an odd number, the host state may nominate an extra team. Where the number of teams in any division is 4 or less, then the host state may nominate teams until the number is 6.

klyall
30-08-2009, 09:13 PM
The ASTC rules note that

Many teams take the tournament very seriously and wish to prepare against their opponents, thus the listing of teams and team members is an important part of the event. Of course circumstances can change and a person can be withdrawn, but this should be notified as soon as possible. No changes will be allowed after 15 November, so teams should nominate reserves to allow for illness and family problems.

Denis_Jessop
30-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks a million Kerry. Now everyone concerned (most of whom were not posting on CCF) can get ready and the others can stop worrying.

DJ

klyall
30-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Australian Primary and Secondary School Teams Chess Finals

The time controls will be:

60 minutes + 10 seconds per move from the beginning. (Fischer time setting).

There are two possible timetables depending on whether there are 6 teams or 8 teams competing.

If there are 6 teams

6 Teams: Saturday

8:30 am registration

9:00 am opening ceremony

9:30 am Round 1

12:30 pm Round 2

3:00 pm Round 3

5:00 pm Social Evening

6 Teams: Sunday

9:30 am Round 4

12:30 pm Round 5

3:00 pm Prize Giving

If there are 8 teams then the format is as follows.

8 Teams: Saturday

8:00 am registration

8:30 am opening ceremony

9:00 am Round 1

11:30 am Round 2

2:30 pm Round 3

5:00 pm Round 4

7:30 pm Social Evening

8 Teams: Sunday

9:00 am Round 5

11:30 am Round 6

2:30 pm Round 7

5:30 pm Prize Giving

It is possible that the girls might be run as a 5 round tournament and the open as a 7 round tournament, in which case the rounds for the girls will be notified on the website.

As soon as final entries have been received, whether the event will be run as a 6 or 8 team format will be confirmed.

klyall
30-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Tiebreaks

The places are determined by adding the scores of the individual members of the team. Where teams remain tied for a place, the following tie-breaks are used.

1. Match points: 2 for a win, 1 for a draw and zero for a loss.

2. Team points scored in matches between the tied teams.

3. As in 2, but a preference given to wins on the highest board.

If the teams are still tied, then the placing is shared.

klyall
30-08-2009, 09:20 PM

Moves have to be recorded. In the case of the younger players, they just need to do their best and not get stressed about it.

There will be a short demonstration prior to the beginning of the first game for players who do not know how to record their moves.

klyall
30-08-2009, 09:24 PM

There is a strict “NO NUTS” policy in all schools in Victoria – this includes Scotch College.

Some of the players attending the competition may be allergic to nuts.

Could all parents/coaches/supervisors please ensure that sandwiches do not have nut fillings (eg peanut butter) and that there are no fruit and nut bars (eg snack bars with nut fillings) brought to the venue?

klyall
30-08-2009, 09:26 PM

Mobile telephones

Players - All mobile phones must be switched off in the playing area.

Parents/supervisors/coaches - please note that mobile phones are not allowed to be switched on in the playing area as it may distract players.

klyall
30-08-2009, 09:34 PM

There will be a departure from previous years: there will be a small entry fee per player to cover costs. Details will be on the website (which will be available shortly.)

In addition, all attendees (players, parents, supervisors and coaches) will asked to pay for the meal on the Saturday evening.

Kevin Bonham
30-08-2009, 09:36 PM
However the AusJCL imposes the condition that each team member must be a bona fide student of the school they are representing. i.e “composite” teams are not permitted. Where schools have split campuses, but are genuinely the same school, then a composite team is permitted. Where loose alliances of schools occur, a composite team would not normally be permitted.

This is an excellent rule. In my junior days my school was diddled out of a competitive shot at many more titles than we won by a rule allowing single-sex schools to form merged teams with an allied single-sex school of the opposite sex (in Hobart's case, notoriously St Marys/St Virgils). That rule applied even though each of those schools had more students in the comparable year group than we did.

klyall
30-08-2009, 09:38 PM

General advice

• Please do not bring any food with nuts (eg peanut butter sandwiches or fruit and nut bars.)

• All mobile phones must be switched off in the playing area.

• There is a strict no-smoking policy on Scotch grounds. (This is not just the playing area.)

• There is a strict no alcohol policy on Scotch grounds.

klyall
30-08-2009, 09:43 PM

Sponsorship

If there are any potential sponsors who wish to be associated with the Australian Primary and Secondary School Teams Chess Finals, please contact me by PM.

Thank you

Kerry Lyall

klyall
30-08-2009, 09:48 PM

Volunteers

If there are parents or interested chess players who have some time available (even just one hour) over the weekend of the 5 and 6 December, please contact me by PM.

In particular,

. assistance with the entering of games;
. helping in the tea room;
. setting up boards on the evening of 4 December; or
. helping pack up boards and clocks on 6 December.

Thanks

Kerry Lyall

Mischa
30-08-2009, 11:00 PM
I could probably help

ER
31-08-2009, 03:32 AM
The Australian Junior Chess League (AJCL) is delighted to announce that the Australian Primary and Secondary Schools Chess Team Finals 2009 will be held at Scotch College, Hawthorn, Victoria on December 5 and 6, 2009. The venue will be the Cardinal Pavilion.
A most lovely venue, in one of the best areas of Melbourne! Kids will have a great time there! :clap: :clap: :clap:
You 've done great Kerry! Not that it wasn't expected! :) :clap:

ER
31-08-2009, 03:49 AM
Thanks a million Kerry. Now everyone concerned (most of whom were not posting on CCF) can get ready and the others can stop worrying.

DJ

... and whinging! :hand:

Jim_Flood
31-08-2009, 08:33 AM
It is off Glenferrie Road at Morrison Street, Hawthorn. Easy to find but then I lived in Melbourne for 30 years so it was easy then but maybe not now??!!

http://www.scotch.vic.edu.au/

Campus map on right hand side.

Libby2
31-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks Kerry

I will get you the details of the Curtin team ASAP and hope I may get to the event myself with them if I can wangle a cheap enough fare.

Libby

ChessGuru
31-08-2009, 11:54 AM
There is a strict “NO NUTS” policy in all schools in Victoria – this includes Scotch College.

This is going to be a problem if you're relying on chess player to help organize the event ... almost all of them are nuts. :lol:

In actual fact there is a lot of confusion and mis-information regarding anaphylaxis management policies. Often schools will just "ban" certain food-stuffs (eg. Nuts) because they don't have the time, energy, skills or knowledge to do anything else. This sometimes carries over to events like this with little understanding of the real issues...

According to the DEECD website:

The most common allergens in school-aged children are eggs, peanuts, tree nuts (e.g. cashews), cow's milk, fish and shellfish, wheat, soy, certain insect stings and medications.

So if you are going for a BAN on food stuffs as your management strategy I'd suggest including not just "Nuts" (which is confusing in itself because there are ground and tree nuts with very different properties) but also eggs, milk, fish, shellfish, wheat, soy etc as per above statement.

The DEECD (http://www.education.vic.gov.au/healthwellbeing/health/anaphylaxisschools.htm) requires a "Anaphylaxis Management Plan" not a ban of peanut butter sandwiches.

ChessGuru
31-08-2009, 11:57 AM
What a great opportunity for schools who are playing in the ASTC to come a few days early for a warm-up event and then a bit of sightseeing!

Chess Kids National Interschool Chess Championships
November 30 and December 1, 2009
Venue: Monash University, Clayton
details and applications online (http://chesskids.com.au/interschool/national.php)

AzureBlue
31-08-2009, 04:34 PM
A most lovely venue, in one of the best areas of Melbourne! Kids will have a great time there! :clap: :clap: :clap:
You 've done great Kerry! Not that it wasn't expected! :) :clap:
Yeahh!! Awesome venue next to the Yarra with 7 ovals! :) :clap:

Oepty
31-08-2009, 09:34 PM
The ASTC rules note that

Playing strength will be in rating order. The rating used will be the normal ACF rating. If no normal ACF rating exists then either the ACF rapid rating or the local rating may be used. If a player is unrated and is being played ahead of a rated player then a justification of the order will be needed. Where teams are played out of rating order and the rating difference is more than 50 points, a justification of the order difference will be needed.

Kerry it looks like you have secured an excellent venue, well done. Hopefully everything will go smoothly with the rest of the organisation.
Are the ACF ratings to be used the September or December rating list?
Scott

Mischa
31-08-2009, 10:17 PM
my help is not needed?

ER
31-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Yeahh!! Awesome venue next to the Yarra with 7 ovals! :) :clap:

lol what have you in mind Jenny??? :hmm:

klyall
31-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Kerry it looks like you have secured an excellent venue, well done. Hopefully everything will go smoothly with the rest of the organisation.
Scott

I will forward this to the Chief Arbiter - Dr Charles Zworestine and post his response shortly.

klyall
31-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Volunteers

I am currently compiling a list of volunteers and their availability to assist with the event.

I will be in contact with volunteers nearer to the event - when I have organised a schedule.

Thanks

Kerry Lyall

Bill Gletsos
31-08-2009, 11:46 PM
ScottGiven the event runs in December and has for many years using the ACF December rating list, why would you believe the ratings used this time would be anything other than the 2009 ACF December ratings.

Oepty
01-09-2009, 01:09 AM
Given the event runs in December and has for many years using the ACF December rating list, why would you believe the ratings used this time would be anything other than the 2009 ACF December ratings.

Bill, Kerry has posted that teams must be submitted in strength order by the 15th of October, provided the qualification tournament has been completed and the teams cannot be changed after the 15th of November. This seems to indicate that the September ratings will be used to order the teams, but I was after a clarification seeing you are sure to have the December ratings out by the 5th of December. It is better to get it sorted out sooner rather than later so that there is no confusion if the December ratings mean there is a significant change to the ratings of some of the players of some of the teams, which means they are playing out of the order that would be formed by the then current December rating list.
I was not talking about which ratings would be used to rate the event.
Scott

Bill Gletsos
01-09-2009, 01:47 AM
I was not talking about which ratings would be used to rate the event.Neither was I.

Oepty
01-09-2009, 06:23 AM
Neither was I.
Okay

klyall
01-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Scot has asked whether the September or December ratings will be used for the competition.

Charles Zworestine has confirmed that the December ratings will be used. When entering their board order, teams can use the September list for an indicative board order. Any necessary changes can be made, once the December ratings are out.

Oepty
01-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Scot has asked whether the September or December ratings will be used for the competition.

Charles Zworestine has confirmed that the December ratings will be used. When entering their board order, teams can use the September list for an indicative board order. Any necessary changes can be made, once the December ratings are out.

Thank you Kerry

Jim_Flood
02-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Was it something you said, Kerry?

Arrest over Scotch College lockdown

Heavily armed force response unit officers, uniformed police and the air wing swooped on the school in Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn. They also closed several nearby streets as they searched the area shortly after the threat was made at about 1.30pm (AEST) on Wednesday.

Todays' Age on-line edition

AzureBlue
02-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Todays' Age on-line edition
Yeah there was a lockdown today, a threat but the guy has been arrested.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/09/02/2674797.htm?section=australia
http://www.theage.com.au/national/arrest-over-scotch-college-lockdown-20090902-f8cs.html
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,26016803-661,00.html

Alana
03-09-2009, 12:12 PM
I know this is slightly off topic, but is the Chess Kids school comp that has been running the last few years going to be on again. My school has a team, but we didn't qualify for the Aus Schools, so we are looking at possibly going to the Chess Kids tournament instead. Anyone know anything? Thanks

ChessGuru
03-09-2009, 06:10 PM
I know this is slightly off topic, but is the Chess Kids school comp that has been running the last few years going to be on again. My school has a team, but we didn't qualify for the Aus Schools, so we are looking at possibly going to the Chess Kids tournament instead. Anyone know anything? Thanks

Certainly is. We'd love to have you participate.

Everything you need is online www.interschool.com.au/nationals (http://chesskids.com.au/interschool/national.php).

klyall
04-10-2009, 10:00 PM
The Australian Schools Teams Championship website can be accessed at http://chess.geniusprophecy.com/astc/

klyall
04-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Participants and parents and coaches attention is especially drawn to the forms page on the website.

It would be appreciated if forms could be completed and sent as soon as possible. The list of players can then be updated.

However, I have received notification that some states will not quite make the 1 November cutoff. Could all forms please be completed as soon after the finals events as possible?

This will greatly assist with catering.

Thanks

Kerry

klyall
05-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Australian Primary and Secondary School Teams Chess Championship website

I would like to thank Zhigen Lin for the development of the Australian Primary and Secondary School Teams Chess Championship website. :clap:

There have been many drafts and changes :doh: and he has cheerfully and efficiently made the many changes. :owned:

Given his school commitments it is especially appreciated that he has done such a wonderful job.

Kerry Lyall
Organiser
Australian Primary and Secondary
School Teams Chess Championship
Hawthorn 2009

klyall
17-10-2009, 07:03 AM
Forms need to be completed by 1 November, 2009

Could all schools please complete the forms on the ASTC website and send accompanying cheques by 1 November 2009 (unless by prior arrangement) ?

Catering arrangements are currently being organised and final numbers are needed as payment needs to be made soon after 1 November.

Thanks

Kerry Lyall
Organiser
ASTC - 2009

Libby2
17-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Forms need to be completed by 1 November, 2009

Could all schools please complete the forms on the ASTC website and send accompanying cheques by 1 November 2009 (unless by prior arrangement) ?

Catering arrangements are currently being organised and final numbers are needed as payment needs to be made soon after 1 November.

Thanks

Kerry Lyall
Organiser
ASTC - 2009

Hi Kerry

Collected all of my forms yesterday so will get them to you ASAP.

As a past organiser myself, and someone with an ACT team hamstrung at the moment about the right flight arrangements, it would be immensely helpful if the respective state coordinators of interschool activities could at least let ASTC organisers know if they intend to send teams and in which sections of the event. That should be known by now.

It is a giant pain in the arse to not have this information until a couple of weeks before the event. Even if your teams are not determined, you must know if you have teams contesting for the opportunity. If you don't have teams planning to attend - say so. Useless (but previously received) responses include "we might have" and "I'll have to talk to some people" and "they may have changed their mind" etc. That's reasonable back in June but it's really unhelpful 6 weeks before the event.

Then organisers know the schedule and players who are travelling with limited flight options know at what time the event will finish and can book an appropriate flight (when cheap seats are actually still available). For those without past experience, we potentially have 8-team round robins but can have as few as 4 teams in some sections, and generally 6 in most. Having to timetable a 6 team round robin is much different to the timetable for an 8 team round robin.

Garvinator
17-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Then organisers know the schedule and players who are travelling with limited flight options know at what time the event will finish and can book an appropriate flight (when cheap seats are actually still available). For those without past experience, we potentially have 8-team round robins but can have as few as 4 teams in some sections, and generally 6 in most. Having to timetable a 6 team round robin is much different to the timetable for an 8 team round robin.
And so if you get one division that has 7/8 teams, another that has 5/6 teams and a third that has four teams (so six round DRR), organising the playing schedule can be a hassle if states and teams information has not been passed on to the organisers in plenty of time.

Kevin Bonham
17-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Since NT and Tas generally don't field teams at the moment (although I don't know if whoever wins on Monday for Tas will be interested or not) I wonder if, when it is known that there will be at least five teams, the ASTC should be held as six-round event, and just don't expand the number of rounds beyond six no matter what. In the rare case that it turns out that there are actually eight states competing, seed teams (or randomise where no ratings are available) and play a six-round Swiss. If it turns out at the last moment that there are seven states competing, add the standby team from the home state and play a six-round Swiss. You'll probably get some funny pairings (just as you would have had many uncompetitive pairings in a normal RR) but the deserving team will still win. As far as I'm aware the risk of being completely unable to pair round six in a six-round swiss for eight players is negligible.

As an alternative the AusJCL could require that states holding qualification processes must complete them by a particular date. That way any state depending on a qualification process that doesn't conclude until close to the event (and not even knowing whether the winner will be likely to want to go or not) would be forced to come up with a different qualification process if it wanted to give its schools the option of participating.

In my view, the best way to eliminate uncertainty is not to plead with people to avoid it, but to remove the opportunity for it to exist.

Libby2
17-10-2009, 06:01 PM
In my view, the best way to eliminate uncertainty is not to plead with people to avoid it, but to remove the opportunity for it to exist.

Excellent. So is that the job of the organiser from year to year? Or should this have been addressed in the creation of the event by the ACF or the now AusJCL?

You must have been aware of this when I was chasing Tasmanian participation for 2006? It's a bit tricky for an organiser when the person "on the ground" tells you things like "I don't know if they will want to go or not."

For the most part the ACT has eliminated this uncertainty around our own participation. Firstly our teams have been decided by Term 3 but also - and significantly - the final stage of our event is explicitly for the purpose of selecting our ASTC teams. We run the zones & finals at rapid time controls (most suitable for mass participation) with up to 4 of the top teams in each division qualifying to play in a weekend of chess under ASTC playing conditions to determine our representatives. The only teams in the playoffs are those who have signed up as eligible, and prepared, to compete at the ASTC. We don't have to ask them if they want to and scrounge around looking for a team to fill each slot. We either have representative candidates or we don't.

This year Curtin won the ACT Open Primary but didn't compete in the playoff as the team included some of the girls who were competing as the ACT Girls' representatives. Nobody was left wondering what Curtin was going to do or who would go to the ASTC instead, as teams have to nominate their intent for a spot in the playoff before the Final even starts. So they need to have read the info, completed the forms and made the commitment. Curtin didn't nominate but other top schools did, and Kaleen went on to win the playoff. The ACT always knew we had a representative team even if we didn't know who it would be.

Kevin Bonham
17-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Excellent. So is that the job of the organiser from year to year? Or should this have been adressed in the creation of the event by the ACF or the now AusJCL?

Obviously it is a matter for the supervising body, which is now the AusJCL. Whether it should have been addressed earlier or not, it can be addressed at least for next year if not now.

You must have been aware of this when I was chasing Tasmanian participation for 2006?

As far as I know, the idea of resolving the problem by capping the number of rounds at six has only just occurred to me now. Perhaps I briefly considered it then dismissed it on purist grounds in the past, but if so I've changed my mind, possibly on account of the shemozzle last year in which great effort was devoted to debating the possible move to an unsuitable rapid time control on account of a seventh team that never showed up anyway.

It's a bit tricky for an organiser when the person "on the ground" tells you things like "I don't know if they will want to go or not."

I know that; that's why I'm suggesting that that situation should be either eliminated by earlier deadlines or alleviated by capping the number of rounds. Too late to do the former for this year but could be considered for the future.

Jim_Flood
17-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Oh well, in for a penny in for a pound - and ready to be shot down.

I believe it is possible to run a competition with eight teams in five rounds.

They way it is done is to run a split round robin on Day 1.

Teams are seeded by ratings or by lots. Lots does provide a degree of randomness. The eight teams are then split into two groups. Group A consists (1, 4, 5, 8) and Group B (2, 3, 6, 7)

Each Group plays a single round robin on Day 1. The following day, winner of Group A plays runner up of Group B. Winner of Group B plays runner up of Group A, etc. The winners would then go into a playoff for 1st and 2nd , 3rd and 4th and so on down the line. Under this arrangement you would only need five time slots.

Grist for the mill. Discuss and/or deride.

Garvinator
18-10-2009, 08:23 PM
I believe it is possible to run a competition with eight teams in five rounds.Instead of answering each of your suggestions one by one, I think it will be easiest to answer this point directly.

With eight teams and five rounds, the easiest method is to run the tournament with swiss pairings. Each team collects match and game points in each match, with the pairings for each of the five rounds based on their score from round 1, then round 2 etc.

Exactly like an individual swiss, except that they play as teams.

klyall
20-10-2009, 08:44 PM
I have had a number of anxious parents contacting me as they want to book flights - while they are still cheap.

It would be really helpful if state co-ordinators could indicate whether a team is playing in each of the four divisions by PM. This includes the Northern Territory and Tasmania.

The ASTC rules are quite clear on the format of the tournament if there are six states or eight states competing. The ASTC in Melbourne will comply with the rules.

Suggestions for modifications of the rules should be submitted to the AJCL for their consideration.

Another reminder then - forms for the 2009 ASTC MUST be submitted no later than 1 November, 2009.

The website will then be updated with the names of competitors and whether it will be a 6 round or an 8 round tournament.

Kerry Lyall
Organiser - ASTC 2009

Jim_Flood
20-10-2009, 08:55 PM
It would be really helpful if state co-ordinators could indicate whether a team is playing in each of the four divisions by PM. This includes the Northern Territory and Tasmania.

Kerry Lyall
Organiser - ASTC 2009

Whatever it takes Kerry.:clap:

Libby2
23-10-2009, 05:11 PM

Also worth including those states who regularly participate but don't decide who their reps will be until a week before the ASTC.

I'll leave it to the parents/players from that state to fight their own battles over whether or not that's reasonable given the need to then organise flights/accommodation etc at the very last minute.

However I'll step up wearing the past organisers hat and say just how difficult it makes your job if you are not just dealing with not knowing exactly which school and how many people are coming from it, but actually dealing with state coordinators who can't/won't tell you if there will be a team at all.

You must know, or be able to establish, by this point if there are teams seeking to play at the ASTC in 1 or 2 or all 4 sections of the ASTC. That allows an organiser to settle on the format & rounds, as well as calculate indicative player numbers for catering or any other arrangements.

There was difficulty in finding a host for the event this year. Remember, it generates no income and receives a piddly subsidy from the ACF/AusJCL for part of the trophy cost. It needs a venue, prizes (at least 48 trophies) and has come with some past catering expectations. Next time you grumble and mope about trying to run a standard weekender, try doing the same with nobody paying an entry fee and needing to give numbers to a caterer a month out. It just makes you want to rush in to volunteer next time doesn't it :wall:

I am not knocking this event. It is not an onerous undertaking and we managed to run it in the ACT by packaging it with the Aus Jnr and attracting grants and sponsorship across the two events (even though one was in December and one in January). I am fed up with people who make the job of organising harder for the organiser (and even just for the other participants) than it needs to be :P

ER
23-10-2009, 05:31 PM
... I am fed up with people who make the job of organising harder for the organiser (and even just for the other participants) than it needs to be :P

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Respect/respect-040.GIF

Garvinator
24-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Open Primary Section Day One. Finishes tomorrow. I do not have the results from the high school section.

No Name Feder Total 1 2 3 4 5

1 King's, GC 13.0 11:4.0 4:3.0 6:3.0 5:3.0 2:
2 All Saints, GC 11.5 9:3.0 3:1.5 13:3.0 11:4.0 1:
3 Nundah SS, GB 11.5 13:4.0 2:2.5 5:1.0 12:4.0 4:
4 Somerville House, GB 11.0 15:4.0 1:1.0 10:3.0 6:3.0 3:
5 Churchie, GB 10.0 8:2.0 14:4.0 3:3.0 1:1.0 6:
6 Somerset, GC 10.0 12:4.0 17:4.0 1:1.0 4:1.0 5:
7 St Patrick's Primary, WBN 9.5 14:3.0 10:1.5 8:2.0 17:3.0 12:
8 Matthew Flinders Anglican, SC 9.0 5:2.0 16:2.5 7:2.0 10:2.5 13:
9 Woree SS, FNQ 8.5 2:1.0 11:0.0 14:2.0 15:1.5 0: 4.0
10 Brisbane Grammar, GB 7.5 16:2.5 7:2.5 4:1.0 8:1.5 14:
11 Annandale Christian, NQ 7.0 1:0.0 9:4.0 17:3.0 2:0.0 15:
12 Arundel SS, GC 7.0 6:0.0 15:4.0 16:3.0 3:0.0 7:
13 Eton North SS, MW 7.0 3:0.0 0:4.0 2:1.0 16:2.0 8:
14 Sacred Heart Primary, CQN 7.0 7:1.0 5:0.0 9:2.0 0:4.0 10:
15 St Thomas' Primary, FNQ 6.5 4:0.0 12:0.0 0:4.0 9:2.5 11:
16 Gabbinbar SS, DD 6.0 10:1.5 8:1.5 12:1.0 13:2.0 17:
17 Fraser Coast Anglican, WBS 6.0 0:4.0 6:0.0 11:1.0 7:1.0 16:
No Name Total Result Name Total

1 All Saints, (5) [11.5] : King's, (1) [13.0]
2 Somerville House, (4) [11.0] : Nundah SS, (6) [11.5]
3 Somerset, (3) [10.0] : Churchie, (2) [10.0]
4 Arundel SS, (11) [7.0] : St Patrick's Primary, (8) [9.5]
5 Matthew Flinders Anglican, (10) [9.0] : Eton North SS, (14) [7.0]
6 Sacred Heart Primary, (16) [7.0] : Brisbane Grammar, (7) [7.5]
7 St Thomas' Primary, (12) [6.5] : Annandale Christian, (9) [7.0]
8 Fraser Coast Anglican, (17) [6.0] : Gabbinbar SS, (15) [6.0]
9 Woree SS, (13) [4.5] 4.0:0.0 BYE

klyall
25-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Australian School Teams Chess Championships

I have been advised that Western Australia will not be fielding a team to contest the Open Primary or the Girls Primary competitions.

Under the rules of the ASTC,

""Where the number of teams entered in any division will result in an odd number, the host state may nominate an extra team. Where the number of teams in any division is 4 or less, then the host state may nominate teams until the number is 6."

At this point in time, I am still expecting that QLD, VIC, NSW, ACT and SA will field teams in both the primary open and girls primary.

I have therefore contacted Chess Victoria to advise me which Victorian school teams are to be nominated to fill the vacancies caused by the Western Australian Open Primary and the Girls Primary deciding not to attend the competition.

I will then contact those Victorian Schools to see if they are interested in fielding a team.

Kerry Lyall
Organiser - ASTC
Hawthorn 2009

Jim_Flood
26-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Probably little if any impact on the ASTC but be aware that the Australian Volleyball Schools Cup commences in Melbourne on 7 December with registration on 6 December.

Some 4,000 players (so add on coaches, etc) from Australia and NZ are expected at venues near the Melbourne CBD.

It may but then again it may not have some impact on the availability of less expensive accommodation for those attending the ASTC.

Garvinator
26-10-2009, 12:52 PM
No Name Feder Loc Total 1 2 3 4 5 6

1 King's, GC 1632 19.5 8:3.5 4:4.0 2:2.5 3:2.0 10:3.5 9:4.0
2 Somerset College, GC 1696 17.5 5:4.0 6:3.5 1:1.5 12:4.0 4:3.5 3:1.0
3 BGS Soo-Burrowes, GB 1249 16.0 7:2.5 9:2.5 10:3.0 1:2.0 6:3.0 2:3.0
4 Churchie, GB 1184 15.0 11:4.0 1:0.0 6:4.0 9:2.5 2:.5 13:4.0
5 Toowoomba Grammar, DD 993 14.0 2:0.0 11:3.0 7:.5 14:4.0 15:3.5 8:3.0
6 Townsville Grammar, NQ 1081 13.5 12:4.0 2:.5 4:0.0 15:4.0 3:1.0 0:4.0
7 BGS Moyle, GB 943 13.0 3:1.5 13:2.0 5:3.5 10:2.0 9:1.0 12:3.0
8 Mt Gravatt SHS, GB 782 12.5 1:.5 14:4.0 9:1.0 13:2.0 0:4.0 5:1.0
9 All Saints, GC 1223 12.0 13:3.0 3:1.5 8:3.0 4:1.5 7:3.0 1:0.0
10 Trinity Anglican, FNQ 1060 12.0 14:3.5 15:3.0 3:1.0 7:2.0 1:.5 11:2.0
11 Matthew Flinders, SC 747 11.0 4:0.0 5:1.0 13:.5 0:4.0 14:3.5 10:2.0
12 Aldridge SHS, WBS 725 11.0 6:0.0 0:4.0 15:4.0 2:0.0 13:2.0 7:1.0
13 Bundaberg Christian, WBN 772 10.5 9:1.0 7:2.0 11:3.5 8:2.0 12:2.0 4:0.0
14 Whitsunday Anglican, MW 702 7.0 10:.5 8:0.0 0:3.0 5:0.0 11:.5 15:3.0
15 Gladstone SHS, CQS 681 4.5 0:3.0 10:1.0 12:0.0 6:0.0 5:.5 14:0.0

Garvinator
26-10-2009, 12:54 PM
No Name Feder Total 1 2 3 4 5 6

1 King's, GC 21.0 11:4.0 2:3.0 3:3.0 6:3.0 10:4.0 7:4.0
2 Somerville House, GB 18.5 5:4.0 1:1.0 4:3.0 3:3.0 9:4.0 10:3.5
3 Somerset, GC 16.0 8:4.0 14:4.0 1:1.0 2:1.0 6:3.0 9:3.0
4 Brisbane Grammar, GB 13.5 12:2.5 13:2.5 2:1.0 7:1.5 17:4.0 6:2.0
5 St Thomas' Primary, FNQ 13.5 2:0.0 8:0.0 0:4.0 15:2.5 11:3.0 13:4.0
6 Churchie, GB 13.0 7:2.0 17:4.0 9:3.0 1:1.0 3:1.0 4:2.0
7 Matthew Flinders Anglican, SC 13.0 6:2.0 12:2.5 13:2.0 4:2.5 16:4.0 1:0.0
8 Arundel SS, GC 13.0 3:0.0 5:4.0 12:3.0 9:0.0 13:3.0 15:3.0
9 Nundah SS, GB 12.5 16:4.0 10:2.5 6:1.0 8:4.0 2:0.0 3:1.0
10 All Saints, GC 12.0 15:3.0 9:1.5 16:3.0 11:4.0 1:0.0 2:.5
11 Annandale Christian, NQ 12.0 1:0.0 15:4.0 14:3.0 10:0.0 5:1.0 17:4.0
12 Gabbinbar SS, DD 12.0 4:1.5 7:1.5 8:1.0 16:2.0 14:2.0 0:4.0
13 St Patrick's Primary, WBN 10.5 17:3.0 4:1.5 7:2.0 14:3.0 8:1.0 5:0.0
14 Fraser Coast Anglican, WBS 10.0 0:4.0 3:0.0 11:1.0 13:1.0 12:2.0 16:2.0
15 Woree SS, FNQ 9.5 10:1.0 11:0.0 17:2.0 5:1.5 0:4.0 8:1.0
16 Eton North SS, MW 9.0 9:0.0 0:4.0 10:1.0 12:2.0 7:0.0 14:2.0
17 Sacred Heart Primary, CQN 7.0 13:1.0 6:0.0 15:2.0 0:4.0 4:0.0 11:0.0

klyall
26-10-2009, 09:29 PM
I have now been advised that South Australia will not be sending a Primary Girls team to contest the Australian Primary Girls Teams title.

At this point in time, I am expecting teams from ACT (confirmed), VIC, NSW, QLD and am awaiting advice from Chess Victoria who is the nominated girls' team to replace WA.

The ASTC rules state that,

"Where the number of teams in any division is 4 or less, then the host state may nominate teams until the number is 6."

I will contact Chess Victoria to nominate another primary girls' team to replace South Australia.

Kerry Lyall
Organiser - ASTC 2009
Hawthorn

klyall
27-10-2009, 07:58 PM
I have now been advised that Tasmania will not be sending any teams to compete in the Australian School Teams Championships.

I have not heard from the Northern Territory whether they are intending to field a team or not. Does anyone have an email address for the appropriate person in the Northern Territory?

If forms are not submitted by 1 November 2009, I will assume that the Northern Territory is not intending to field a team.

Kerry Lyall
Organiser ASTC
Hawthorn 2009

ChessGuru
28-10-2009, 09:49 AM
I have now been advised that Tasmania will not be sending any teams to compete in the Australian School Teams Championships.

I have not heard from the Northern Territory whether they are intending to field a team or not. Does anyone have an email address for the appropriate person in the Northern Territory?

If forms are not submitted by 1 November 2009, I will assume that the Northern Territory is not intending to field a team.

Kerry Lyall
Organiser ASTC
Hawthorn 2009

Are NT allowed to send a team?

a) NT has no chess association affiliated with the ACF
b) They don't pay any fees

It would seem a little unfair to other states who are paying their contributions if a state which does not contribute receives equal treatment to those who do contribute.

Kevin Bonham
28-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Are NT allowed to send a team?

a) NT has no chess association affiliated with the ACF
b) They don't pay any fees

It would seem a little unfair to other states who are paying their contributions if a state which does not contribute receives equal treatment to those who do contribute.

As best I can recall, when it looked like the NT might send a team last year the ACF decided that if they did so they would be charged a one-off fee in order to address this issue. I don't recall the exact amount.

Denis_Jessop
28-10-2009, 08:27 PM
As best I can recall, when it looked like the NT might send a team last year the ACF decided that if they did so they would be charged a one-off fee in order to address this issue. I don't recall the exact amount.

That's right. It would not be fair to deny school representation from the NT just because their adult chess players don't have a Territory Association. That said, the outcome was bad as the NT entered a team and after a lot of dithering, withdrew it at the last moment causing the organisers some angst.

DJ

george
29-10-2009, 12:41 PM
hi Denis,
Yes you are correct last year ACF decided to charge NT i believe a nominal fee of about $100 but my memory may be hazy. It was thought at the time that there was a chance of an active junior program in NT may well develop. I was both on ACF Council and on organising committee for the Australian Junior / Australian Schools Teams Finals in Adelaide - we were dealing with ACF on Junior National matters at that time. You would need to ask the President ASJCL as to their views / contact with NT junior chess..

kindest regards

ChessGuru
29-10-2009, 08:47 PM
hi Denis,
Yes you are correct last year ACF decided to charge NT i believe a nominal fee of about $100 but my memory may be hazy. It was thought at the time that there was a chance of an active junior program in NT may well develop. I was both on ACF Council and on organising committee for the Australian Junior / Australian Schools Teams Finals in Adelaide - we were dealing with ACF on Junior National matters at that time. You would need to ask the President ASJCL as to their views / contact with NT junior chess..
Sounds like a bargain.

When I get involved with Chess Victoria next year we'd like the Vic teams to pay this way rather than the large levy currently imposed please.

Bill Gletsos
29-10-2009, 08:58 PM
As best I can recall, when it looked like the NT might send a team last year the ACF decided that if they did so they would be charged a one-off fee in order to address this issue. I don't recall the exact amount.The amount was in line with the applicable levy rate.

Basil
29-10-2009, 11:10 PM
When I get involved with Chess Victoria next year we'd like the Vic teams to pay this way rather than the large levy currently imposed please.
When you get involved with Chess Victoria, I'd suggest you see if that's the majority view. Or aren't you planning on such trifling procedural minutiae?

Ian Murray
31-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Attn: Kerry Lyall

I'm trying to PM you details of the Qld qualifying schools/coordinators, but your inbox is full

Can you clear some space please and let me know when done

Ta

Ian

Libby2
01-11-2009, 08:36 AM

I'm trying to PM you details of the Qld qualifying schools/coordinators, but your inbox is full

Ta

Ian

Hi Ian

It may be more effective - and official - to communicate with Kerry directly. Her contact details are on the ASTC site http://chess.geniusprophecy.com/astc/further-information.html

Libby

Ian Murray
01-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Hi Ian

It may be more effective - and official - to communicate with Kerry directly. Her contact details are on the ASTC site http://chess.geniusprophecy.com/astc/further-information.html

Libby
Hi Libby

Good thinking 99! In fact, after my post, that's what occurred to me and I did so. Kerry acknowledged this morning

Cheers

Ian

klyall
01-11-2009, 10:42 PM

Ta

Ian

Sorry Ian

Lots of people have been sending me PM's and I didn't realise my in-box was full.

I've cleared it up now.

Regards Kerry

peteryang
02-11-2009, 07:13 PM
the NSW Team will send their entry forms in a few days

sorry for the delay.

klyall
02-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Dr Charles Zowerstine, arbiter of the 2009 ASTC has ruled that there will be a half an hour forfeiture time for all sections of the competition. :(

This will apply to the board concerned - and not the whole team.

A notice will shortly be placed on the tournament website:
http://chess.geniusprophecy.com/astc/

All players are advised to be at the competition in plenty of time - so that they are ready to play when the games commence. :)

Kerry Lyall
Organiser - ASTC
Hawthorn 2009

klyall
02-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Tie break principles for the ASTC - Hawthorn - 2009

Dr Charles Zworestine, the arbiter of the 2009 ASTC has announced the following tie break principles will be applied should the situation arise.

a. Each Championship shall be won by the team having the highest team points being the sum of points scored by all individual members of the team.

b. If more than one team in a Championship has the same number of team points, the following tie-break
principles apply in the order listed:

(i) match points - 2 for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for a loss;
(ii) team points scored in matches between the tied teams - eg if 3 teams in a tie each team would have a score out of 12;
(iii) as in (ii) but with preference given to wins on the highest board.

c.If, after applying (i) to (iii), any teams are still tied, the title is to be shared by those teams.

I hope this clarifies the tie break situation for interested players, parents and coaches.

Kerry Lyall
Organiser ASTC
Hawthorn, 2009

klyall
02-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Round times for the 2009 ASTC will be as follows:

Saturday 5 December

8:30 am registration (and how to fill out a score sheet)

9:00 am opening ceremony

9:30 am Round 1

12:30 pm Round 2

3:00 pm Round 3

5:00 pm Social Evening

Sunday 6 December

9:00 am Round 4

12:30 pm Round 5

3:00 pm Prize Giving

Kerry Lyall
Organiser - ASTC
Hawthorn 2009

ER
11-11-2009, 06:42 PM
8:30 am registration (and how to fill out a score sheet)

I know of certain adults who would definitely benefit from this! :P

Tan the Bdx Man
12-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Are there gonna be draws up or must we wait until the start of the tournament

Jim_Flood
12-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Could be that the teams will be seeded by lots and then the draw will be announced. Patience, Budgie Bottom, patience.

Garvinator
12-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Could be that the teams will be seeded by lots and then the draw will be announced. Patience, Budgie Bottom, patience.
Stuff this patience bit, I want everything yesterday :P

mikesguns
13-11-2009, 10:35 AM
For the Victorian state finals Ivanhoe grammar isn't in the standings.
Can this be changed?

klyall
15-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Can all players in the ASTC please send through their cheques asap? We need to order the food in the next few days as it will be a very large order.

Kerry Lyall
Organiser
ASTC Hawthorn 2009

klyall
15-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Stuff this patience bit, I want everything yesterday :P

I can't ask Charles to do the draw yet - many teams have not confirmed their attendance yet. (See my previous post).

If anyone can hurry up the outstanding teams this would be great!! I am in Turkey so it is a bit hard to chase people up at the minute.

Kerry Lyall
Organiser - ASTC
Hawthorn 2009

klyall
16-11-2009, 11:07 AM
I haven't heard from Western Australia concerning whether they are sending a Secondary Girls team. :(

If anyone can contact WA for me - the internet is not working well in Turkey at the World Youth Chess Championships - to double check whether WA is fielding a Secondary Girls team - otherwise I will offer the place to a Victorian team.

Thanks

Kerry Lyall
Organiser ASTC
Hawthorn 2009

klyall
17-11-2009, 01:17 PM
I have just been advised that Western Australia will not be sending a secondary girls team - so I will invite a Victorian team to back fill the vacancy.

Kerry Lyall
Organiser - ASTC
Hawthorn 2009

Lynx
27-11-2009, 04:58 PM
With just a week left before the Finals start, the list of participants (http://chess.geniusprophecy.com/astc/participants.html) is still incomplete. :hmm: In particular, the NSW teams are still off the list. Are there any chance for people to know who play in the NSW teams before the games start? Currently the NSW players have an advantage to prepare themselves to the games with opponents while leaving the opponents without such an opportunity.

george
27-11-2009, 06:41 PM
hi lynx,

I dont think it is an orchestrated tactic as the Secondary Open team is listed.

I'm sure there is an innocent explanation for the tardiness.

Looking forward to a great tourney - the PAC team is basically the same as last year and so have that added experience in this tourney.

Basically every single game is important - same as 5 round swiss the chance to make up for a poor game are few - if your opponents beat you through better play - such is chess.

regards

Denis_Jessop
27-11-2009, 08:43 PM
With just a week left before the Finals start, the list of participants (http://chess.geniusprophecy.com/astc/participants.html) is still incomplete. :hmm: In particular, the NSW teams are still off the list. Are there any chance for people to know who play in the NSW teams before the games start? Currently the NSW players have an advantage to prepare themselves to the games with opponents while leaving the opponents without such an opportunity.

In previous years the NSWJCL finals were not held until very late and I assume that that is the same this year. I believe that the imagined NSW advantage doesn't exist.

DJ

klyall
28-11-2009, 08:01 AM

I have just been advised that NSW is sending a Secondary Girls team. The names will go on the website once the forms have been received. :)

I still have not received any indication whether NSW is sending a primary open or primary girls team. :wall:

Victoria now has a primary open team on stand bye. :)

If NSW cannot send a primary girls team - I think it is too late to contact other states to try and fill the vacancy. :(

I have been advised that Victoria will be unable to fill the vacancy caused by WA not fielding a secondary girls team. I have now contacted another state to see if they can attend at short notice.

Kerry Lyall
Organiser
ASTC Hawthorn 2009

Libby2
28-11-2009, 11:16 AM
In previous years the NSWJCL finals were not held until very late and I assume that that is the same this year. I believe that the imagined NSW advantage doesn't exist.

DJ

No, but the very real organiser's disadvantage does exist.

It makes it very hard to put this event together - and that should be clear from Kerry's postings that I can back up from my past experience - when we are one week to go and teams are not finalised, numbers are not clear and my own school team can't be sure how many games they will even get next weekend.

It's crap and it's in stark contrast to the other event in which I also have players participating this coming Monday and Tuesday.

The ASTC may have "official" sanction and a hard working team of organisers this year. It may have longer time controls and a truly elite set of teams at the very top of the event (how deep this "elite" standard runs in contrast to Chesskids is now probably debatable) but you now have only some states entering and a minority of states fielding in all sections. You have some divisions where the tournament is currently half made up of home state teams.

So which direction is this event moving in?

A bit of luck, a little good management, and some hard working players has meant I have sent teams to the event for the past six years. I don't see that the event is getting the full support of the state organisations (teams are not sent, qualifying processes are so late as to make the coordinator's job a nightmare as almost no-one complies with entry deadlines, paperwork etc).

You should, in organising this event, be able to confidently expect an entry in each of four divisions, from each state and territory (NT the exception). Instead an organiser is left chasing up each state "hoping" to get an entry.

If it's all too hard to get schools to come. Too costly, too scary, too busy, too many exams etc - then why will schools turn up on Monday & Tuesday this week? Why did my players play WA teams last year - in Melbourne - when WA was not represented in corresponding sections at the ASTC in Adelaide? I'm not suggesting the same teams should have done both. I'm just asking why teams are prepared to travel a long way to one event, yet states cannot get teams to travel, complete entry requirements etc, for the ASTC?

Next year, if teams are left in limbo wondering when/if the ASTC will happen, and if Girls' teams are left wondering how many games they will even get and if other states will bother to compete, I am left wondering which event I would send a team to should we qualify again (noting that the team I take to Chesskids has not necessarily been the same team as the ASTC in this or previous years).

Garvinator
28-11-2009, 11:55 AM
If Libby's post is a motion regarding improving the ASTC, I second it ;)

Denis_Jessop
28-11-2009, 04:41 PM
No, but the very real organiser's disadvantage does exist.

It makes it very hard to put this event together - and that should be clear from Kerry's postings that I can back up from my past experience - when we are one week to go and teams are not finalised, numbers are not clear and my own school team can't be sure how many games they will even get next weekend.

It's crap and it's in stark contrast to the other event in which I also have players participating this coming Monday and Tuesday.

The ASTC may have "official" sanction and a hard working team of organisers this year. It may have longer time controls and a truly elite set of teams at the very top of the event (how deep this "elite" standard runs in contrast to Chesskids is now probably debatable) but you now have only some states entering and a minority of states fielding in all sections. You have some divisions where the tournament is currently half made up of home state teams.

So which direction is this event moving in?

A bit of luck, a little good management, and some hard working players has meant I have sent teams to the event for the past six years. I don't see that the event is getting the full support of the state organisations (teams are not sent, qualifying processes are so late as to make the coordinator's job a nightmare as almost no-one complies with entry deadlines, paperwork etc).

You should, in organising this event, be able to confidently expect an entry in each of four divisions, from each state and territory (NT the exception). Instead an organiser is left chasing up each state "hoping" to get an entry.

If it's all too hard to get schools to come. Too costly, too scary, too busy, too many exams etc - then why will schools turn up on Monday & Tuesday this week? Why did my players play WA teams last year - in Melbourne - when WA was not represented in corresponding sections at the ASTC in Adelaide? I'm not suggesting the same teams should have done both. I'm just asking why teams are prepared to travel a long way to one event, yet states cannot get teams to travel, complete entry requirements etc, for the ASTC?

Next year, if teams are left in limbo wondering when/if the ASTC will happen, and if Girls' teams are left wondering how many games they will even get and if other states will bother to compete, I am left wondering which event I would send a team to should we qualify again (noting that the team I take to Chesskids has not necessarily been the same team as the ASTC in this or previous years).

This is all very well but it has nothing to do with the point I was addressing.

DJ

Libby2
28-11-2009, 05:33 PM
This is all very well but it has nothing to do with the point I was addressing.

DJ

Except that the reason behind the purported NSW "advantage" you were responding to, in not having their names on the website (ie they are still to finalise teams), is one of several reasons organising the event is more difficult than it needs to be. It's just the point on which I kicked off :rolleyes:

I am a past organiser, and current consumer, as far as the ASTC is concerned. I never saw ChessKids as a competitor to the ASTC as the ASTC doesn't seek growth (ie only one team per division per state) but when states choose one over the other, and when states are twiddling about with what teams will or won't enter 7 days before the ASTC, I'm sitting here wondering if players from my school are getting a value-for-money/chess experience at the ASTC when they could have been at Monday's event with a guarantee they would have a certain number of games, stay on-site, eat on-site with all meals included, and know exactly what to expect and how it will be delivered.

I am not critical of current ASTC organisers. I am critical of a lack of state support for both the organiser and for the event they are trying to put together.

Denis_Jessop
28-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Except that the reason behind the purported NSW "advantage" you were responding to, in not having their names on the website (ie they are still to finalise teams), is one of several reasons organising the event is more difficult than it needs to be. It's just the point on which I kicked off :rolleyes:

I am a past organiser, and current consumer, as far as the ASTC is concerned. I never saw ChessKids as a competitor to the ASTC as the ASTC doesn't seek growth (ie only one team per division per state) but when states choose one over the other, and when states are twiddling about with what teams will or won't enter 7 days before the ASTC, I'm sitting here wondering if players from my school are getting a value-for-money/chess experience at the ASTC when they could have been at Monday's event with a guarantee they would have a certain number of games, stay on-site, eat on-site with all meals included, and know exactly what to expect and how it will be delivered.

I am not critical of current ASTC organisers. I am critical of a lack of state support for both the organiser and for the event they are trying to put together.

In that case why don't you get yourself involved with the AusJCL and put everything right as only you can?

DJ

Libby2
28-11-2009, 08:13 PM
In that case why don't you get yourself involved with the AusJCL and put everything right as only you can?

DJ

It's lucky for Kerry that she's had so much assistance from everyone already that it's been easy for her and nothing can be done to improve things for her or future organisers.

And I'm pretty happy where I am these days thanks, sticking with school and local activities. It's only that my school group has a stake in these events that I'm being a bother. But maybe we won't qualify next year and I really don't have to give a toss.

Except I would like to see it being the event it can be and if you think it is that already, and that state organisations are fully supportive, then I'm obviously in the wrong ... again.

Ciao

Denis_Jessop
29-11-2009, 04:19 PM
It's lucky for Kerry that she's had so much assistance from everyone already that it's been easy for her and nothing can be done to improve things for her or future organisers.

And I'm pretty happy where I am these days thanks, sticking with school and local activities. It's only that my school group has a stake in these events that I'm being a bother. But maybe we won't qualify next year and I really don't have to give a toss.

Except I would like to see it being the event it can be and if you think it is that already, and that state organisations are fully supportive, then I'm obviously in the wrong ... again.

Ciao

It doesn't really matter what I think. The event is run by the AusJCL, formed on the initiative of Jenni Oliver in particular, with the intention of having junior chess run by junior chess experts. Any suggestions for improvement are better directed to them rather than here.

DJ

peteryang
02-12-2009, 04:47 PM
the nsb secondary schools team will have live blogging of results and pairings from their site----

http://northsydneyboyschess.blogspot.com/

ER
02-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Kerry, could you please publish some information for the volunteers?
Time, place and allocation of duties?
I wouldn't mind a tutorial before actual assignment!
Thanks

Jim_Flood
02-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Not too sure why Kerry needs to give any individual helper specific instructions via a bulletin board on what they are required to do.

Why not e-mail her (link below) and ask her directly?

http://chess.geniusprophecy.com/astc/further-information.html

ER
02-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Not too sure why Kerry needs to give any individual helper specific instructions via a bulletin board on what they are required to do.

Why not e-mail her (link below) and ask her directly?

http://chess.geniusprophecy.com/astc/further-information.html

Hey bozo if I needed your opinion I 'd ask for it!

Libby2
03-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Hey bozo if I needed your opinion I 'd ask for it!

Yep - another ACT bozo who just happens to have been one of the first to contact Kerry via the suggested link to volunteer his own time & effort at the event :P

that Caesar guy
03-12-2009, 07:10 PM
(steps into the ring) O.K. people, break it up here, we dont want another Roy Jones Jnr. falling down horribly :P

I might pop in, followin pressure from a certain someone...you know who you are :P, but I need directions. I think this might help a few other people too. Help, especially with public transport?

JM

Z&MLoh
03-12-2009, 07:13 PM
(steps into the ring) O.K. people, break it up here, we dont want another Roy Jones Jnr. falling down horribly :P

I might pop in, followin pressure from a certain someone...you know who you are :P, but I need directions. I think this might help a few other people too. Help, especially with public transport?

JM

http://chess.geniusprophecy.com/astc/get-to-scotch.html

Kerry's very efficient!

Garvinator
03-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Yep - another ACT bozo who just happens to have been one of the first to contact Kerry via the suggested link to volunteer his own time & effort at the event :P
Who is ACT in your quote?

Libby2
03-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Who is ACT in your quote?
I don't know :doh:

Maybe the person making post #99 who was called a bozo in post #100 :whistle:

AzureBlue
03-12-2009, 07:51 PM

JM
Take some random Caulfield tram to the intersection of Princes Hwy/Glenferrie Rd, then take the 16 tram up Glenferrie Rd past the Kooyong train station, get off opposite Callantina Rd where you can see the Scotch College sign (at the northeast corner of the school). Then walk into Callantina Rd, following the school's border, go down Fordholm Rd (this should all be junior school grounds) then turn into Morrison St (there should be a gate leading to the James Forbes Academy) go down the path that leads right past the quad to the end where there is a carpark, and Cardinal Pavilion is near the river past the carpark. I think you would've been there before for the primary school interschool chess things. Alternatively, you can also go through the gate on Glenferrie Rd, then keep walking west until you reach the river at the other end of the school.

You could also take the train on your line, then switch to the Glen Waverley line at Burnley or Richmond and take it to Kooyong station then walk up the hill (or switch to Belgrave and take the train to Glenferrie Station then walk down the hill)... until you see the massive school - you can't miss it.

If you're coming, then c u there :)

I think I'm coming by car but I could also take the train, or tram or a combination. :whistle:
Just that the Metro public train system isn't much better than Connex - I was a whole hour late to school one day when the trains got disrupted and I had to take the train which terminated at Burnley, then walk to Glen Iris Station, Catch the 6 tram, change to the 16 then change to the 70 tram then walk to school. Then, we immediately began our carols rehearsals yet again...

klyall
03-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Kerry, could you please publish some information for the volunteers?
Time, place and allocation of duties?
I wouldn't mind a tutorial before actual assignment!
Thanks

Can any volunteers please PM me? (I have cleared my pm box now and can accepts pm's) I have many little jobs I would appreciate assistance with - but I need to know individual people's time availability.

Thanks especially to Jim from the ACT - who was the first volunteer to contact me. :clap:

klyall
03-12-2009, 10:10 PM
The Australian School Teams Chess Championships website is now up to date and has a list of players.

Thanks to Zhigen Lin who has been fabulous in keeping the website up to date.

(Please PM me any changes)

Thanks

Kerry Lyall
Organiser - ASTC
Hawthorn 2009

george
03-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Hi Kerry,

Myself, our teacher from PAC Paulo ,the boys and our specialist coach Guy West are all looking forward to a terrific time hopefully some really good chess and at the least another great learning curve for the boys from PAC - non of whom by the way are in year 12.

They played in this tourney last year so hopefully the nerves of being first timers last year has gone and they can perform to their best!!

There has been terrific support from the school,headmaster , parents and the PAC Chess Foundation funded by our legendary Richard Thorne.

George Howard

that Caesar guy
03-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Where is the website??

JM

Davidflude
03-12-2009, 11:03 PM
I will be helping move the equipment on Friday night to the venue. I may turn up during the weekend.

Davidflude
03-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Hi Kerry,

Myself, our teacher from PAC Paulo ,the boys and our specialist coach Guy West are all looking forward to a terrific time hopefully some really good chess and at the least another great learning curve for the boys from PAC - non of whom by the way are in year 12.

They played in this tourney last year so hopefully the nerves of being first timers last year has gone and they can perform to their best!!

There has been terrific support from the school,headmaster , parents and the PAC Chess Foundation funded by our legendary Richard Thorne.

George Howard

George will you and Guy be there. If so there are several points that I may wish to discuss with you.

george
04-12-2009, 06:55 AM
Hi David,

Yes, I will be there as coach PAC and IM Guy West is the specialist coach for the weekend - see you there.

Regards
George Howard

AzureBlue
04-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Where is the website??

JM
Scroll down on Zhigen's website:
www.geniusprophecy.com

AzureBlue
04-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Scroll down on Zhigen's website:
www.geniusprophecy.com
Sorry, here's the direct link: :whistle:
http://chess.geniusprophecy.com/astc/

peteryang
04-12-2009, 07:25 PM
is there going to be draws ?

Garvinator
04-12-2009, 07:33 PM
is there going to be draws ?
Of course there will be, not all games will be won or lost ;) ;) ;)

AzureBlue
04-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Of course there will be, not all games will be won or lost ;) ;) ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: Of course!!
I think he means pairings...

klyall
04-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Dr Charles Zowerstine is not going to finalise the draw until we complete registration at 9.00 am.

I still have not received final confirmation from schools whether they are attending or not.

Kerry Lyall
Organiser ASTC
Hawthorn 2009

ER
05-12-2009, 12:38 AM
k I forgot to mention, I have received all relevant information and instructions and I will be there at the suggested day and time! thanks

Z&MLoh
05-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Results of ASTC at the end of Day 1:

PRIMARY OPEN CATEGORY

Mount View Primary School (VIC) 10.5 Spensley Street Primary School (VIC) 4.5

Carlingford West Public School (NSW) 7 Kaleen Primary (ACT) 3.5

Kings Christian College (QLD) 6.5 Magill Primary School (SA) 4

SECONDARY OPEN CATEGORY

Scotch College (VIC) 11 North Sydney Boys High (NSW) 8

Radford College (ACT) 1.5 Kings Christian College (QLD) 8.5

Prince Alfred College (SA) 7 Seton College (WA) 0

PRIMARY GIRLS CATEGORY

Sorry - don't have the results - Somerville is leading the category.

Presbyterian Ladies College (VIC) Mount View Primary School (VIC)

Lauriston Girls' School (VIC) Summer Hill Public School (NSW)

Curtin Primary School (ACT) Somerville House (QLD)

SECONDARY GIRLS CATEGORY

Presbyterian Ladies College (VIC) 9 Hornsby Girls (NSW) 4

Radford College (ACT) 6.5 Somerset College (QLD) 9

St Peters Collegiate Girls School (SA) 7.5

Mike

Oepty
05-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Thank you for posting the scores
Scott

Libby2
06-12-2009, 07:00 AM
PRIMARY GIRLS CATEGORY

Sorry - don't have the results - Somerville is leading the category.

Presbyterian Ladies College (VIC) Mount View Primary School (VIC)

Lauriston Girls' School (VIC) Summer Hill Public School (NSW)

Curtin Primary School (ACT) Somerville House (QLD)

I know Curtin are on 11/12 and play Somerville this morning. If Somerville are leading I guess they are on 12/12 :)

Curtin will be the underdog certainly, but funny things can happen at the ASTC. Good luck everyone on Day 2!

ER
06-12-2009, 07:53 AM
Take some random Caulfield tram to the intersection of Princes Hwy/Glenferrie Rd, then take the 16 tram up Glenferrie Rd past the Kooyong train station, get off opposite Callantina Rd where you can see the Scotch College sign (at the northeast corner of the school). Then walk into Callantina Rd, following the school's border, go down Fordholm Rd (this should all be junior school grounds) then turn into Morrison St (there should be a gate leading to the James Forbes Academy) go down the path that leads right past the quad to the end where there is a carpark, and Cardinal Pavilion is near the river past the carpark.

Hehe that was easy, I did an exploration walk this morning. Only problem was this part

Then walk into Callantina Rd,

since Jenny did not specify which part of Callandina Rd, actually she did

following the school's border,

but I missed it :doh: and (you guessed it!!:) ) I walked quite a while, then I realised there was no river there :wall: so I turned back! :)

Have a good day! :)

Libby2
06-12-2009, 10:10 AM
I know Curtin are on 11/12 and play Somerville this morning. If Somerville are leading I guess they are on 12/12 :)

Curtin will be the underdog certainly, but funny things can happen at the ASTC. Good luck everyone on Day 2!

2-2 :clap:

Alana
06-12-2009, 11:53 AM

Go Curtin! Go ACT!!! :D :D :owned: :clap:

Libby2
06-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Go Curtin! Go ACT!!! :D :D :owned: :clap:

Not sure how everyone has finished up Alana but Curtin were runners-up in Primary Girls - my special telephone hook-up has passed on that much news.

I owe a big thank you to Chris Tran and a great group of parents who have gone along to support the girls yet again. Congratulations to Lucinda (who leaves Curtin after attending the ASTC 5 times), Yi-Jing (also leaving Curtin after 4x ASTC trips), Isabelle (finishing after 3x ASTC trips) and Emma who will be hoping to be back next year!

Garvinator
06-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Not sure how everyone has finished up Alana but Curtin were runners-up in Primary Girls - my special telephone hook-up has passed on that much news.
This would mean that Somerville has won the Girls Primary. woohoo :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Libby2
06-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Hi Kerry

From the back of a taxi a couple of excited girls told me that they had a great time, everyone was really nice and they really like their trophies.

Thank you for taking it on. Thank you to those who stepped up to help you out.

:clap:

Libby

AzureBlue
06-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Well done to all the teams, especially Scotch College (19/20), Mt View, Somerville House and Somerset!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks Kerry for organising such an awesome event! :)

BearDrinkingBeer
06-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Hi Kerry

From the back of a taxi a couple of excited girls told me that they had a great time, everyone was really nice and they really like their trophies.

Thank you for taking it on. Thank you to those who stepped up to help you out.

:clap:

Libby
Thanks Kerry for organising the event!

Z&MLoh
06-12-2009, 04:36 PM
And here are the final standings and crosstable for Australian School Teams Chess Championship 2009. Congratulations to all the winners :clap: and well done to all who participated.

2009 Aust. Schools Finals Primary Girls Division

Standings

Place Name Feder Score

1 Somerville House, QLD 18
2 Curtin, ACT 15
3 PLC, VIC 11
4 Mount View, VIC 7
5 Summer Hill, NSW 5
6 Lauriston, VIC 4

Cross Table

*No* *Name* *Feder* *Total* *#1* *#2* *#3* *#4* *#5* *#6*
1 Somerville House, QLD 18.0 * 2.0 4.0 4.0 4.0 4.0
2 Curtin, ACT 15.0 2.0 * 2.0 3.0 4.0 4.0
3 PLC, VIC 11.0 0.0 2.0 * 3.0 4.0 2.0
4 Mount View, VIC 7.0 0.0 1.0 1.0 * 3.0 2.0
5 Summer Hill, NSW 5.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 * 4.0
6 Lauriston, VIC 4.0 0.0 0.0 2.0 2.0 0.0 *

2009 Aust. Schools Finals Primary Open Division

Standings

Place Name Feder Score

1 Mount View, VIC 18
2 Kings, QLD 12.5
3 Carlingford West, NSW 9.5
4-5 Spensley St, VIC 7.5
Kaleen, ACT 7.5
6 Magill, SA 5

Cross Table

1 Mount View, VIC 18.0 * 2.5 3.5 4.0 4.0 4.0
2 Kings, QLD 12.5 1.5 * 2.0 2.0 3.0 4.0
3 Carlingford West, NSW 9.5 .5 2.0 * 1.5 2.5 3.0
4 Spensley St, VIC 7.5 0.0 2.0 2.5 * 0.0 3.0
5 Kaleen, ACT 7.5 0.0 1.0 1.5 4.0 * 1.0
6 Magill, SA 5.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 1.0 3.0 *

2009 Aust. Schools Finals Secondary Girls Division

Standings

Place Name Feder Score

1 Somerset, QLD 16
2 PLC, VIC 15
3 Radford, ACT 12.5
4 Hornsby, NSW 8.5
5 St. Peter's, SA 8
6 Bye, 0

Cross Table

1 Somerset, QLD 16.0 * 2.0 3.0 3.5 3.5 4.0
2 PLC, VIC 15.0 2.0 * 2.0 3.0 4.0 4.0
3 Radford, ACT 12.5 1.0 2.0 * 3.0 2.5 4.0
4 Hornsby, NSW 8.5 .5 1.0 1.0 * 2.0 4.0
5 St. Peter's, SA 8.0 .5 0.0 1.5 2.0 * 4.0
6 Bye, 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 *

2009 Aust. Schools Finals Secondary Open Division

Standings

Place Name Feder Score

1 Scotch College, VIC 19
2 North Sydney, NSW 13
3 Kings, QLD 12.5
4 Prince Alfred, SA 8
5 Radford, ACT 6.5
6 Seton, WA 1

Cross Table

1 Scotch College, VIC 19.0 * 3.5 3.5 4.0 4.0 4.0
2 North Sydney, NSW 13.0 .5 * 3.0 3.5 2.0 4.0
3 Kings, QLD 12.5 .5 1.0 * 3.0 4.0 4.0
4 Prince Alfred, SA 8.0 0.0 .5 1.0 * 2.5 4.0
5 Radford, ACT 6.5 0.0 2.0 0.0 1.5 * 3.0
6 Seton, WA 1.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 *

klyall
06-12-2009, 05:51 PM
First, I would like to thank all the participants, their families, coaches and teachers who traveled from all over from Australia to compete in the 2009 Australian Schools Teams Chess Championships at Scotch College, Hawthorn, Victoria.

I would like to acknowledge our sponsors – the Numberworks N’Words – who provided the pens and to Northern Star Chess who provided the scoresheets. Thank you to both these companies.

In addition, I am very grateful to the individual donations by the following people:

• Jenni Oliver

• Charles Zowerstine

• Michael Loh

• FM Geoff Saw

Thank you to all the Victorian parents who brought such a lovely morning tea this morning – I think it was a wonderful spread and everyone enjoyed it very much.

Thank you to all the parents (both from Victoria) but from interstate as well who have helped especially with the serving of food, helping to pack up last night after the meal and with the chess pieces this afternoon.

In addition, I would like to specifically thank the following volunteers:

• Jim Flood

• Cassandra Moore

• Trevor Stanning – who took all the money for the tournament which was a very time consuming task

In the tea room

• Jenny Fan

• Stephanie Ang

• Susan Sheng

• Vanja Rozenblat

• Trevor Stanning – who took all the money for the tournament

• David Flude and Roger Croft who helped bring and return all the chess boards and pieces from the Box Hill Chess Club and also for David – who picked up our arbiter and drove Charles here both mornings and on to Box Hlill Chess Club this afternoon.

• Elliot Renzies for helping pack up this afternoon

• Gladys Liu – who helped with publicity for the tournament and for obtaining the Shadow Minister for Sport and Affairs, Youth Affairs and Veteran’s Affairs to present the prizes.

• Chris Wallis, Vanja Rozenblat and Geoff Saw who entered games which will be available on the website shortly.

• Charles Zworestine – our arbiter for the tournament – who did a fabulous job arbitering this weekend.

I could not have managed without the help of two special dads from the Mount View Primary School. :clap: Both Howard Chan and Michael Loh have spent many hours over the last few months helping with the preparations and organisation of the tournament. A very special thanks to Howard and Mike. :clap:

• Michele Linosier – who was instrumental in obtaining the wonderful venue for the championships.

• Last but not least, I would like to thank a very talented young man – Zhigen Lin who created the wonderful website for the championships. Zhigen has been so prompt in updating data – especially the names of competitors so promptly – and he was been studying for exams at the same time! :clap:

Kerry Lyall
Organiser
Australian Schools Teams Championships
Hawthorn 2009

klyall
06-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Trophies for reserves

A reminder to any reserves who are entitled to a trophy to please contact me by PM with

. the details of the section you were playing in;
. whether you came first, second or third;
. how I can get the trophy to you (eg: are you going to the Aus Championships in Sydney - or know someone who can collect it from me there in January or whether you are going to the Aus Juniors in Hobart and can collect it from me there, or whether you are going to the Doeberl Cup at Easter etc.)

It would be appreciated if this could be done by this Wednesday as I want to order the trophies so they can arrive before I leave for the Aus Championships in early January.

Thanks

Kerry Lyall
Organiser - ASTC
Hawthorn 2009

ER
06-12-2009, 05:57 PM
We thank you for giving us the opportunity to be present in such a wonderful event Kerry! :clap: :clap: :clap:

klyall
06-12-2009, 06:04 PM
:clap: Congratulations to all winners of the various competitions. :clap:

Special congratulations to the two Victorian Teams - Scotch College and Mount View Primary School who won their respective sections.:clap:

george
06-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Hi All,

Provided PAC are in this competition next year Owen will be in the team again so all the girls whose hearts were made aflutter by this charming young man he will be there next year:) .

Regards
George Howard

PS He played some good chess at times as well!

Publicist
06-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Who writes your stuff George?

that Caesar guy
07-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Hi All,

Provided PAC are in this competition next year Owen will be in the team again so all the girls whose hearts were made aflutter by this charming young man he will be there next year:) .

Regards
George Howard

PS He played some good chess at times as well!
Owen would be...who?

ChessGuru
07-12-2009, 12:45 PM
My congrats to all the teams for their participation and results. Well done Kerry for the organisational effort - I know how much time it takes.

To any teams wanting to put next year's Chess Kids National Interschool Chess Championships into your diary - dates are confirmed as 29 and 30 of November, 2010; venue and sponsors once again Monash Uni.

Have a good holiday season!

Z&MLoh
07-12-2009, 06:05 PM
2009 Aust. Schools Finals Primary Girls Division

No Name Feder Rtg 1 2 3 4 5

1 Simmonds, Leteisha QLD 13:W 15:W 14:W 10:W 24:W
2 Hegde, Manasi QLD 16:W 22:W 11:W 8:D 21:W
3 Spooner, Isabelle ACT 17:W 12:W 26:W 4:D 9:W
4 Triscott, Hannah QLD 12:W 26:W 9:W 3:D 17:W
5 Zeng, Yi-Jing ACT 18:W 25:W 19:W 6:W 7:L
6 Yum, Jenny QLD 25:W 19:W 7:W 5:L 18:W
7 Lim Joon, Hannah VIC 19:W 18:W 6:L 25:W 5:W
8 Dunstone, Emma ACT 20:W 23:W 29:W 2:D 11:L
9 Son, Erica VIC 26:W 17:W 4:L 12:W 3:L
10 Flood, Lucinda ACT 24:W 13:L 15:W 1:L 14:W
11 Chan, Rachael VIC 0:L 20:W 2:L 0:L 8:W
12 Wong, Corina VIC 4:L 3:L 18:W 9:L 26:W
13 Foo, May-Yi VIC 1:L 10:W 24:W 14:L 15:L
14 Gu, Stephanie VIC 15:L 24:W 1:L 13:W 10:L
15 Kim, Diana VIC 14:W 1:L 10:L 24:L 13:W
16 Quah, Grace VIC 2:L 0:L 17:W 0:L 27:W
17 Newton, Jill NSW 3:L 9:L 16:L 29:W 4:L
18 Wong, Rachel NSW 5:L 7:L 12:L 19:W 6:L
19 Chan, Corina VIC 7:L 6:L 5:L 18:L 25:W
20 Mehta, Prerita NSW 8:L 11:L 0:L 27:W 0:L
21 Onodi, Annette NSW 0:L 0:L 23:W 0:L 2:L
22 Baras-Miller, Mary VIC 28:W 2:L 0:L 0:L 0:L
23 Bunyamin, Kaitlyn VIC 0:L 8:L 21:L 28:W 0:L
24 Tong, Dimi NSW 10:L 14:L 13:L 15:W 1:L
25 Gu Yang, Bonita VIC 6:L 5:L 0:L 7:L 19:L
26 Bei, Lucy VIC 9:L 4:L 3:L 0:L 12:L
27 Solin, Isobel VIC 0:L 0:L 0:L 20:L 16:L
28 Subiah, Rebecca VIC 22:L 0:L 0:L 23:L 0:L
29 Vanzo, Natalia VIC 0:L 0:L 8:L 17:L 0:L

2009 Aust. Schools Finals Primary Open Division

No Name Feder Loc Total 1 2 3 4 5

1 Loh, Zachary VIC 1250 5 12:W 26:W 23:W 10:W 6:W
2 Fan, Kevin E VIC 1017 4.5 19:W 14:W 5:D 17:W 24:W
3 Yu, Allen VIC 1238 4.5 16:W 20:W 4:D 13:W 15:W
4 Huband-Lint, Kees QLD 838 4.5 13:W 16:W 3:D 15:W 20:W
5 Jack, Alex QLD 526 4.5 25:W 19:W 2:D 24:W 18:W
6 Han, Raymond NSW 657 4 26:W 10:W 12:W 23:W 1:L
7 Chan, Michael VIC 1605 4 9:W 21:W 11:D 22:W 8:D
8 Pan, Andrew NSW 1624 3.5 21:W 22:W 9:L 11:W 7:D
9 Dale, Ari VIC 1085 3 7:L 11:W 8:W 21:W 22:L
10 Rostov, Marat ACT 867 3 23:W 6:L 26:W 1:L 12:W
11 Jack, Martin QLD 1292 2.5 22:W 9:L 7:D 8:L 21:W
12 Puccini, Jack VIC 2 1:L 23:W 6:L 26:W 10:L
13 Guo, Jamie-Lee ACT 837 2 4:L 15:W 20:L 3:L 16:W
14 Lee, Joel SA 756 2 0:L 2:L 25:W 19:W 0:L
15 Antony, Andrew NSW 1.5 20:W 13:L 16:D 4:L 3:L
16 Dale, Finley VIC 1.5 3:L 4:L 15:D 18:W 13:L
17 Hajdu, Johnny ACT 1.5 0:L 24:D 0:L 2:L 19:W
18 Horan, William SA 1 24:W 0:L 0:L 16:L 5:L
19 Schroder, Nicolaas VIC 1 2:L 5:L 24:W 14:L 17:L
20 Wachtel, Ted SA 1 15:L 3:L 13:W 0:L 4:L
21 Bortsova, Natasha SA 1392 1 8:L 7:L 22:W 9:L 11:L
22 Zhang, Yijun ACT 1316 1 11:L 8:L 21:L 7:L 9:W
23 Pyper, Matthew QLD 837 1 10:L 12:L 1:L 6:L 26:W
24 Yeung, Adrian NSW .5 18:L 17:D 19:L 5:L 2:L
25 Ashton, James ACT 161 0 5:L 0:L 14:L 0:L 0:L
26 Horan, Callum SA 0 6:L 1:L 10:L 12:L 23:L
27 Yu, Alec VIC 1125 0 0:L 0:L 0:L 0:L 0:L
28 Simpson, Max VIC 0 0:L 0:L 0:L 0:L 0:L

2009 Aust. Schools Finals Secondary Girls Division

No Name Feder Rtg 1 2 3 4 5

1 Tan, Sophie QLD 16:W 12:W 0:L 11:W 17:W
2 Xu, Clover VIC 0:L 6:W 21:W 15:W 14:W
3 Mason, Joanne ACT 7:D 13:W 20:W 0:L 10:W
4 Yu, Sally VIC 0:L 9:W 19:W 8:W 5:L
5 Oliver, Tamzin L ACT 9:D 19:W 8:D 0:L 4:W
6 Bennett, Grace QLD 14:W 2:L 0:L 18:W 15:W
7 Kinder, Danielle QLD 3:D 10:W 0:L 13:D 20:W
8 Eustace, Sophie SA 19:W 0:L 5:D 4:L 9:D
9 Kinder, Jessica QLD 5:D 4:L 0:L 19:W 8:D
10 Ravitharan, Sakthi VIC 0:L 7:L 13:W 20:W 3:L
11 Arad, Neta NSW 17:W 16:L 12:W 1:L 0:L
12 Wong, Chloe VIC 0:L 1:L 11:L 17:W 16:W
13 Xiao, Alison NSW 20:W 3:L 10:L 7:D 0:L
14 Jewell, Aynslie ACT 6:L 0:L 15:W 0:L 2:L
15 Hanson, Rebeka SA 21:W 0:L 14:L 2:L 6:L
16 Kirk, Rosie ACT 1:L 11:W 17:L 0:L 12:L
17 Neale, Stephanie SA 11:L 0:L 16:W 12:L 1:L
18 Smith, Nicola NSW 0:L 22:W 0:L 6:L 0:L
19 Hoang, Cimaine NSW 8:L 5:L 4:L 9:L 0:L
20 Eswararaj, Anujha SA 13:L 0:L 3:L 10:L 7:L
21 Castro, Michelle NSW 15:L 0:L 2:L 0:L 0:L
22 Attenbourgh, Tess ACT 0:L 18:L 0:L 0:L 0:L
23 Ha, Vi VIC 0:L 0:L 0:L 0:L 0:L

2009 Aust. Schools Finals Secondary Open Division

No Name Feder Loc Total 1 2 3 4 5

1 Lin, Zhigen Wilson VIC 2200 5 16:W 5:W 12:W 17:W 24:W
2 Schon, Eugene VIC 2171 5 13:W 10:W 8:W 18:W 25:W
3 Yu, Derek VIC 1838 5 20:W 14:W 4:W 11:W 26:W
4 Wang, Oscar NSW 1790 4 11:W 26:W 3:L 14:W 20:W
5 Grigg, Sam QLD 1900 4 24:W 1:L 16:W 12:W 17:W
6 Blackman, Jaydon QLD 1115 3.5 19:W 9:D 28:W 7:L 27:W
7 Yang, Peter NSW 1529 3 15:W 19:W 0:L 6:W 0:L
8 Ruan, Jack NSW 1785 3 18:W 25:W 2:L 10:W 13:L
9 Liu, Nicholas VIC 1706 3 28:W 6:D 23:D 27:W 0:L
10 Jule, Sebastian QLD 1700 3 25:W 2:L 13:W 8:L 18:W
11 Yang, Owen SA 1207 3 4:L 20:W 26:W 3:L 14:W
12 Tan, Kevin NSW 1639 2.5 17:D 24:W 1:L 5:L 16:W
13 Li, James ACT 1309 2.5 2:L 18:D 10:L 25:W 8:W
14 Eriksson, Caleb QLD 1323 2 26:W 3:L 20:W 4:L 11:L
15 Soang, Duncan SA 510 2 7:L 21:W 19:W 0:L 0:L
16 Xing, Edward ACT 1474 2 1:L 17:W 5:L 24:W 12:L
17 Milton, Anthony W SA 1706 1.5 12:D 16:L 24:W 1:L 5:L
18 Ivancic, Fabian SA 1718 1.5 8:L 13:D 25:W 2:L 10:L
19 Yano, Taiga WA 1 6:L 7:L 15:L 21:W 22:L
20 Lo, Willis ACT 1199 1 3:L 11:L 14:L 26:W 4:L
21 Carty, Jak ACT 846 1 0:L 15:L 0:L 19:L 23:W
22 Owen, Richard VIC 1 0:L 0:L 0:L 0:L 19:W
23 Xu, Jerry NSW 1568 .5 0:L 0:L 9:D 0:L 21:L
24 Boni, Christopher WA 1501 0 5:L 12:L 17:L 16:L 1:L
25 Pepper, Dane WA 1129 0 10:L 8:L 18:L 13:L 2:L
26 Djatmiko, Stephen WA 0 14:L 4:L 11:L 20:L 3:L
27 Perks, Hugh SA 913 0 0:L 0:L 0:L 9:L 6:L
28 Lee, Bevan ACT 844 0 9:L 0:L 6:L 0:L 0:L

Note:

Ratings from Sep 09
Not sure why the Open division results have a totals column and Girl's divisions do not have totals
Byes awarded in the Secondary Girls division - odd number of teams

Z&MLoh
07-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Here are the winners of the ASTC 2009:

1. Somerville House, Queensland (Primary Girls Division)
2. Mount View Primary School, Victoria (Primary Open Division)
3. Somerset, Queensland (Secondary Girls Division)
4. Scotch College, Victoria (Secondary Open Division)

ER
07-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Excellent pics Mike, thanks! :clap:

BearDrinkingBeer
08-12-2009, 02:50 PM
I played two very shaky games (extremely lucky in the first game), with the game fragments annotated below.

If they aren't working try clicking here (http://chess.geniusprophecy.com/astc-games.html).

Event: ASTC (Melbourne)
Site: ?
Date: 2009.12.05
Round: 3
White: Tan, Kevin
Black: Lin, Zhigen
Result: 0-1
Annotator: Zhigen Lin
SetUp: 1
PlyCount: 36
EventDate: 2009.12.06

15. Neg5 h6 $4 {This is a blunder as White now has a spectacular combination.}
({Here, I should have played} 15... g6 $1 {, which equalises according to my
computer, but I think White has a slight advantage due to Black's kingside
weaknesses.}) 16. Bh7+ $3 ({I looked at} 16. Nxe6 {
and thought that White had little compensation after} fxe6 {, but} 17. Bc4 $1 {
gives White a big advantage. He threatens the immediate Rxd7 and has great
compensation due to Black's weak kingside. However, in the game, my opponent
found something even stronger.}) (16. Rxe6 $2 {leads nowhere after} Bxg5 {.})
16... Kh8 17. Rxd7 $1 {I was totally caught by surprise from this move. After
looking at it for more than 10 minutes at the board, I concluded that Black
was totally losing.} Qxd7 18. Nxf7+ $4 {My opponent throws away the clear win
by playing the wrong move order, but still keeps a clear advantage.} ({
I expected} 18. Ne5 {, which was the correct move order.} Qe8 {
After my opponent's 17th move, I saw the beautiful combination} 19. Ngxf7+ $1
Rxf7 20. Ng6+ $1 ({I originally expected} 20. Bg6 {, which is also winning.})
20... Kxh7 21. Nf8+ Kg8 22. Qh7+ Kxf8 23. Qh8# {, which is a wonderful piece
of calculation from my opponent. This pattern reminds me of the horrible mate
in one that Kramnik allowed in his match against Deep Fritz.}) 18... Rxf7 19.
Ne5 Bf6 $2 {Not the most accurate defence.} (19... Bh4 20. Nxd7 Bxf2+ 21. Qxf2
Rxf2 22. Kxf2 Kxh7 23. Rxe6 Rd8 $16 {was an even better defence.}) ({
Of course not} 19... Qe8 $4 20. Ng6+ $1 Kxh7 21. Nf8+ Kg8 22. Qh7+ Kxf8 23.
Qh8# {.}) 20. Nxd7 Rxd7 21. Be4 {
Of course, trading off material is also a good idea.} ({I was expecting} 21.
Rxe6 {, which I had prepared nothing special against.}) 21... Bd5 22. c4 {
This move forces an exchange, but has the disadvantage of giving Black the d4
outpost for his bishop.} (22. Bxd5 exd5 {
fixes my pawn structure, although it may be better than the text.}) 22... Bxe4
23. Qxe4 Rad8 24. b3 Rd2 25. Qxe6 $2 {
This capture gives Black too much counterplay.} (25. f4 {was best, when} Bd4+
26. Kh1 Rxa2 27. Qxe6 {doesn't really lead anywhere for Black.}) 25... Bd4 26.
Re2 $4 {This move is a horrible blunder, which I didn't notice the first time
around. Low on time, I quickly played} ({
My opponent probably couldn't see a way to defend his kingside after} 26. Rf1
Rf8 {, but nevertheless,} (26... Rxa2 27. h4 $16) 27. h4 Bxf2+ 28. Kh1 Rxa2 29.
g4 $5 {gives White good prospects.}) 26... Rd1+ 27. Re1 Rd2 $4 {
. My last move was a blunder as it forgoes a winning opportunity.} 28. Re2 $4 {
This move was accompanied with a draw offer. I said, "I'll think about it."
and to my great luck, I found a win. I really should have seen it on move 27,
so it is a slight error on my part.} Rd1+ 29. Re1 Bc3 $1 {
Black pulls off an unlikely win. He is winning here.} 30. Qe8+ (30. Rf1 Rxf1+
31. Kxf1 Rd1+ 32. Ke2 Re1+ {picks up the queen.}) 30... Rxe8 31. Rxd1 Re1+ $6 (
31... Re2 {may be more accurate, with ...Bd4 to follow.}) 32. Rxe1 Bxe1 {
My computer thinks that Black is only clearly better here, but I think this
position is winning. Eventually, I was able to grind out this endgame.} 0-1

Event: ASTC (Melbourne)
Site: ?
Date: 2009.12.06
Round: 4
White: Lin, Zhigen
Black: Milton, Anthony W
Result: 1-0
Annotator: Zhigen Lin
SetUp: 1
PlyCount: 39
EventDate: 2009.12.06

20. Ne4 $4 {This is a blunder as it was based on a tactic that doesn't work.} (
20. cxd5 {was much better. In fact, White is clearly better as Black is in
some trouble due to both the d-file pin and the fact that White can play Ne4
at certain moments.}) 20... dxe4 21. Rxd6 Rxg5 {Black is clearly better.} 22.
Rd8+ Bf8 23. fxe4 Nc6 $4 {
Black either missed his knight was en prise or that I had the zwischenzug} ({
Black's best was} 23... Nxe4 {. I planned} 24. Nd4 {
with the threat of Ne6. Of course, this can be easily defended against. After}
Re5 {, Black has a clear advantage.}) 24. Rxf8+ {.} Kxf8 25. Rxf6 {
The tide has turned in White's favour and I was eventually able to convert my
advantage.} Ke7 26. Rf1 Nb4 27. Nc3 Ke6 28. Kf2 Nd3+ 29. Ke2 Ne5 30. g3 h5 31.
Nd5 Nc6 32. Rf6+ Ke5 33. Rxf7 Kxe4 34. Rf4+ Ke5 35. Ke3 Nd8 36. Re4+ Kd6 37.
Nf4 Nf7 38. Re6+ Kc5 $6 (38... Kd7 39. Rxg6 {is also losing.}) 39. Nd3# 1-0

Desmond
08-12-2009, 03:45 PM
You need to put like this:

[PGN=r4rk1/pbqnbppp/4p3/2p5/4N3/2PB1N2/PPQ2PPP/3RR1K1 w - - 0 15]15. Neg5 h6 $4 {This is a blunder as White now has a spectacular combination.}
({Here, I should have played} 15... g6 $1 {, which equalises according to my
computer, but I think White has a slight advantage due to Black's kingside
weaknesses.}) 16. Bh7+ $3 ({I looked at} 16. Nxe6 {
and thought that White had little compensation after} fxe6 {, but} 17. Bc4 $1 {
gives White a big advantage. He threatens the immediate Rxd7 and has great
compensation due to Black's weak kingside. However, in the game, my opponent
found something even stronger.}) (16. Rxe6 $2 {leads nowhere after} Bxg5 {.})
16... Kh8 17. Rxd7 $1 {I was totally caught by surprise from this move. After
looking at it for more than 10 minutes at the board, I concluded that Black
was totally losing.} Qxd7 18. Nxf7+ $4 {My opponent throws away the clear win
by playing the wrong move order, but still keeps a clear advantage.} ({
I expected} 18. Ne5 {, which was the correct move order.} Qe8 {
After my opponent's 17th move, I saw the beautiful combination} 19. Ngxf7+ $1
Rxf7 20. Ng6+ $1 ({I originally expected} 20. Bg6 {, which is also winning.})
20... Kxh7 21. Nf8+ Kg8 22. Qh7+ Kxf8 23. Qh8# {, which is a wonderful piece
of calculation from my opponent. This pattern reminds me of the horrible mate
in one that Kramnik allowed in his match against Deep Fritz.}) 18... Rxf7 19.
Ne5 Bf6 $2 {Not the most accurate defence.} (19... Bh4 20. Nxd7 Bxf2+ 21. Qxf2
Rxf2 22. Kxf2 Kxh7 23. Rxe6 Rd8 $16 {was an even better defence.}) ({
Of course not} 19... Qe8 $4 20. Ng6+ $1 Kxh7 21. Nf8+ Kg8 22. Qh7+ Kxf8 23.
Qh8# {.}) 20. Nxd7 Rxd7 21. Be4 {
Of course, trading off material is also a good idea.} ({I was expecting} 21.
Rxe6 {, which I had prepared nothing special against.}) 21... Bd5 22. c4 {
This move forces an exchange, but has the disadvantage of giving Black the d4
outpost for his bishop.} (22. Bxd5 exd5 {
fixes my pawn structure, although it may be better than the text.}) 22... Bxe4
23. Qxe4 Rad8 24. b3 Rd2 25. Qxe6 $2 {
This capture gives Black too much counterplay.} (25. f4 {was best, when} Bd4+
26. Kh1 Rxa2 27. Qxe6 {doesn't really lead anywhere for Black.}) 25... Bd4 26.
Re2 $4 {This move is a horrible blunder, which I didn't notice the first time
around. Low on time, I quickly played} ({
My opponent probably couldn't see a way to defend his kingside after} 26. Rf1
Rf8 {, but nevertheless,} (26... Rxa2 27. h4 $16) 27. h4 Bxf2+ 28. Kh1 Rxa2 29.
g4 $5 {gives White good prospects.}) 26... Rd1+ 27. Re1 Rd2 $4 {
. My last move was a blunder as it forgoes a winning opportunity.} 28. Re2 $4 {
This move was accompanied with a draw offer. I said, "I'll think about it."
and to my great luck, I found a win. I really should have seen it on move 27,
so it is a slight error on my part.} Rd1+ 29. Re1 Bc3 $1 {
Black pulls off an unlikely win. He is winning here.} 30. Qe8+ (30. Rf1 Rxf1+
31. Kxf1 Rd1+ 32. Ke2 Re1+ {picks up the queen.}) 30... Rxe8 31. Rxd1 Re1+ $6 (
31... Re2 {may be more accurate, with ...Bd4 to follow.}) 32. Rxe1 Bxe1 {
My computer thinks that Black is only clearly better here, but I think this
position is winning. Eventually, I was able to grind out this endgame.} 0-1

BearDrinkingBeer
09-12-2009, 08:24 AM
You need to put [pgn={fen string}] like this
Thanks, I was wondering why it wasn't working. I edited my post above.

Damn, the interface removes all the exclamation marks and question marks!

Tan the Bdx Man
09-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Any chance of games being posted somewhere

Bloke
09-12-2009, 03:00 PM
bit off topic, but does anyone know if theres a thread or anythin relating 2008 nsw state championships, i played in em but i cant find any documentation. Good job 2 the winners by the way, maybe ill play u one day in a tourney somewhere

Bill Gletsos
09-12-2009, 03:10 PM
bit off topic, but does anyone know if theres a thread or anythin relating 2008 nsw state championships, i played in em but i cant find any documentation.Look here (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=8179).

BearDrinkingBeer
09-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Any chance of games being posted somewhere
Yes, all the games will be uploaded, but it will probably take another few days.

Z&MLoh
14-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Photos of the Australian Schools Teams Chess Championships can now be viewed at this gallery:

MobileMe Gallery (http://gallery.me.com/raelenez#100410)
Big thank you to Raelene for hosting the photos.

Mike

Solo
14-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Thankyou very much for the excellent photos Mike, and those who helped.

BearDrinkingBeer
15-12-2009, 08:32 PM
There is a tournament report (http://chess.geniusprophecy.com/astc/AustSchoolsChessReport2009.doc) now available for download, written by Kerry Lyall and Charles Zworestine.

The games will be uploaded as soon as I receive them.

Mischa
16-12-2009, 09:24 PM
when did this tourny finish?

AzureBlue
17-12-2009, 04:29 PM
when did this tourny finish?
6th of December, it was held on the 5-6th of December.

klyall
03-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Most of the games from th Australian Schools Teams Chess Championships are now up on the website.