PDA

View Full Version : An Open Day to remember!

ER
30-08-2009, 07:36 PM
More than one hundred people spent a wonderful afternoon at the Box Hill / Canterbury Juniors Chess Club earlier today participating in the Club's Open Day!
Chess tournaments, simultaneous exhibitions by the most talented and titled Victorian Juniors, the leader of the State Opposition, politicians, local govt representatives, the ACF President, members of the CV executive, chess personalities, parents, juniors, all present in this most enjoyable of chess events! :clap:
More to come as soon as I get reports!

Davidflude
30-08-2009, 10:04 PM
The President of ACF and the President of Chess Victoria were present. We even had a mini tournament where the prizes were free coaching.

Ten minutes before the scheduled no visitors had arrived.

Five minutes later people began to come through the door. Within another few minutes we were having to increase the number of people giving simultaneous exhibitions due to the large influx of visitors.

Hopefully our next club bulletin will have details and photos.

Justaknight - I will have some goodies for you next Friday.

Adamski
30-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Well done, Box Hill and Canterbury. A great turn-out and dignitaries present too!

Z&MLoh
02-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Some photos from the Open Day. Links to more photos will be posted at the Box Hill website early next week. It was a great day to be had by all including the Victorian Liberal Leader and Opposition Leader, boys and girls, old and young...

Kai
02-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Some photos from the Open Day. Links to more photos will be posted at the Box Hill website early next week. It was a great day to be had by all including the Victorian Liberal Leader and Opposition Leader, boys and girls, old and young...

Nice pics - thanks Mike for taking all the photos on the day!

Z&MLoh
06-09-2009, 08:58 PM
As promised, photos taken on the Open Day now loaded onto this location (http://gallery.me.com/raelenez#100248). More photos will be loaded as they come to hand.

Mike

ER
06-09-2009, 11:19 PM
More than one hundred people spent a wonderful afternoon at the Box Hill / Canterbury Juniors Chess Club earlier today participating in the Club's Open Day!
Chess tournaments, simultaneous exhibitions by the most talented and titled Victorian Juniors, the leader of the State Opposition, politicians, local govt representatives, the ACF President, members of the CV executive, chess personalities, parents, juniors, all present in this most enjoyable of chess events! :clap:
More to come as soon as I get reports!

And here comes the Open Day Report as published in the latest Club's Bulletin:

Frank Cheng, in his best business suit, stood at the door of the Chess Club and wondered if he would have a success or disaster on his hands. He had recently been installed as President of the Box Hill/Canterbury Chess Clubs after the two year stint by whirlwind Gladys Liu, and he now mused on what had he had let himself in for?
No time for more thought as guests began to arrive; hands to shake, entries for the door-prize to be en-couraged, directions to the set-up crew, and a last minute check of the draft of his speech to the dignitar-ies when they arrive in two hours time.
Suddenly it was all happening throughout the chess hall. Strong juniors were playing simultaneous games against six visitors each; tall but experienced juniors were delivering free coaching lessons to enthralled youngsters and parents; and two of the chess-boards were automatically displaying games played at light-ning speed to the Internet.
As Master of Ceremonies, Gladys called for those who wanted to play in a short tournament to put their names on an entry list, and then turned to a startled International Master, Leonid Sandler, and announced that Leonid would be running the tournament in the Analysis Room in five minutes. Equally startled organ-isers surfed to the Analysis Room ahead of the youngsters who were keen to play in perhaps their first chess tournament. With 32 players quickly seated and the rules explained the first game was underway and not a single tear shed at the losses that inevitably occur in junior events. In fact the good humour by all participants was such as to give respect to the coming generation.
At the end of two games we were ushered back the Hall to meet the dignitaries who had arrived.
The President of the Australian Chess Federation, Gary Wastell; Victorian MP Robert Clark; Councillor Dick Menting; Chess Victoria Vice-President Leonid Sandler; and a very tall man .. the Leader of the state Opposition in the Victorian Parliament, Mr. Ted Baillieu, were all introduced by the M.C. Gladys. Then it was Frank’s turn to crank out the speech that was a moment ago just-draft, and now was-live with 120 pairs of eyes turned to watch his performance. It was a wonderful speech that described the background of all the young champions that had moved through the Box Hill/Canterbury Chess Club in its 57 years of continuous existence; Frank described a young chess champion who was also a Victorian gymnast, an-other who was also an outstanding flautist, another who was in an accelerated maths programme; in fact it was clear from Frank’s research that all our chess playing juniors were well-rounded for participation in life. All dignitaries accepted the offer to speak, and two in particular gave inspiration. First, Gary Wastell called for recognition of the contribution made by volunteer Gerrit Hartland almost since the inception of the Box Hill Chess Club. Gerrit’s planning and discipline had produced a culture where volunteers feel a contribution to the Clubs will be recognised. It has been Gerrit’s vision that has made the Box Hill/Canterbury Chess Clubs a meeting place for all nationalities. Second, Ted Baillieu spoke with good hu-mour, recognition, and wisdom, as leaders seem to do naturally. Ted had spent only 30 minutes or so in the Hall previously but knew by first name each of the Committee, each of the Life members, and each of the Junior Champions; a skill he has built no doubt from visiting many such gatherings but nevertheless inspiring to each in the audience.
Afternoon tea and eats were served and perhaps we behaved a little like seagulls but there was much laughter and cheer around the tables.
A great OPEN Day, we must do it again.
Refreshments were presented by Antoinette Ziffer and sponsored by Cosway
Article by Trevor Stanning Photos Mike Loh

An accurate and witty presentation of events Trevor! Fantastic work!
Excellent photographic work Mike, once again thanks!!!
:clap: to both and all!

ChessGuru
13-09-2009, 09:18 PM
What were the stated objectives of the Open Day?

Were they achieved?

Should other clubs follow suit?

If a club wanted to; does Box Hill have a 'template' which they can share to make other clubs job of repeating the success easier?

samantha
14-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Everyone sees only positives except "chessguru".We have heard it was a wonderful day.Cheers,Sam.:)

Mischa
14-09-2009, 11:50 PM
I think I guessed right

Samson
14-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Everyone sees only positives except "chessguru".We have heard it was a wonderful day.Cheers,Sam.:)
What is not positive about sharing positive ideas ?

Mischa
14-09-2009, 11:56 PM
any idea sharing is positive ...but well done Box Hill

samantha
15-09-2009, 12:01 AM
Explain the positives in "chessguru's" post.Four questions does not ring of praise,does it?Where were the positive remarks?

Samson
15-09-2009, 01:32 AM
Explain the positives in "chessguru's" post.Four questions does not ring of praise,does it?Where were the positive remarks?
I didn't say it was positive .
You said it was non positive .
So where were the non positive remarks ?

ChessGuru
15-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Everyone sees only positives except "chessguru".We have heard it was a wonderful day.

I guess you see what you want to see.

To make it explicit - Well done Box Hill for all the amazing things that you were able to do. It certainly sounds like it was a wonderful day. Great work. :clap: :clap:

Now, just in case there exist chess players in the world who DON'T go to Box Hill Chess Club who might have an attitude of curiosity and be interested...

What were the stated objectives of the Open Day?

Were they achieved?

Should other clubs follow suit?

If a club wanted to; does Box Hill have a 'template' which they can share to make other clubs job of repeating the success easier?

Basil
15-09-2009, 08:08 PM
A significant difference between your posts #8 and #15. To use your own words, it appears you're starting to get the idea.

samantha
15-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Memo (mr) samson.Mastering year 3 English would assist your posting!Cheers,Sam.:)

Samson
15-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Memo (mr) samson.Mastering year 3 English would assist your posting!Cheers,Sam.:)
Then could you please explain this post in year 2 english , ie. explaining why i need to master year 3 english in relation to my previous post ?

samantha
15-09-2009, 11:20 PM
It needs no explaining,"little boy".cheers Sam.:)

Samson
15-09-2009, 11:34 PM
It needs no explaining,"little boy".cheers Sam.:)
um , i beg to differ

samantha
16-09-2009, 11:13 AM
I didn't use the horrible expression "non positive"'that's your fantasy.By the way,English speakers would use the word......negative!:lol:

Samson
16-09-2009, 11:33 AM
I didn't use the horrible expression "non positive"'that's your fantasy.By the way,English speakers would use the word......negative!:lol:
"Non positive" does not equal "negative" !
It could be neutral .
Checkmate.
Thank you and come again :lol:

Desmond
16-09-2009, 11:59 AM
I think there needs to be stated objectives for why there needs to be stated objectives.

ER
16-09-2009, 12:49 PM
I think there needs to be stated objectives for why there needs to be stated objectives.
:clap: :clap: :clap: objectively speaking! :P

UELleida
16-09-2009, 03:19 PM

Perhaps other people's first language is not english. Try to be nicer Samantha. By being aggressive towards people it does not create a nice image of yourself. It is no wonder people do not want to reveal their identities, and why should they, especially when those who ask don't reveal theirs?

As for ChessGuru he was asking some simple questions. Don't read into it like you are some almighty God. Until people prove their intentions you cannot judge them. If you put two and two together, it seems obvious that ChessGuru is endeavouring to effect changes in CV in quite a positive manner. Remember if he is voted into office and does a bad job, then you always have the option of voting him out after his term. Give people more of a go, rather than making up your mind so early. This also applies to your personal exploits with Samson, BearDrinkingBeer and fireeater. Thanks.

Trahald
16-09-2009, 08:34 PM

Well then? Since you yourself use the word negativity, the onus is on you to explain what exactly was negative in chessguru's original post.:hmm:

I note that you have still failed to answer Samson's question, instead resorting to insults and name calling. It is quite apparent where the childish behaviour and negativity is coming from in this thread.

ER
16-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Oh the meaning of the Box Hill Canterbury Chess Club's Open Day?
Well amongst other things
to present the Club to the wider community
to give an opportunity to sponsors to see if their advertising money is worth the trouble
to provide kids (of all ages) the chance to have a great Sunday afternoon playing a great game of chess!
to participate in a chess tournament for the first time ever
to be given free lectures, free simuls and free tips by some great talents
to be given the chance to try your opening tricks against unsuspected simul givers (LM remember my gambit?) :P
to meet old and new friends
and to listen first hand from the leader of State Opposition that "you always have to be very careful when you play chess with someone named Bobby"!
if i think of some more I will let you know! :)
See, I forgot the yummy food and drinks, sorry!:doh: