PDA

View Full Version : Resumption of ACF Newsletter

Ian Rout
22-08-2009, 02:46 PM
ACF has invited me to edit the ACF Newsletter, which has not been produced for a few months after the retirement of the previous editor, Joseph Tanti. Following is some information about how I propose to operate the newsletter.

The newsletter will generally be issued on the second Tuesday of the month and, if there is sufficient material, the fourth Tuesday. The deadline for submitting material will be the prior Friday. Special issues may occasionally be produced, for instance in the case of urgent ACF announcements, or perhaps for large quantities of material.

This will commence from Tuesday 8 September (deadline Friday 4 September). Note that there will be no second September issue as I will be on holidays.

The exception to the deadline will be reporting tournaments finishing on the weekend after the deadline; results will be squeezed in if they are sent as soon as possible on the Sunday.

The intent, especially in the first instance, will be to produce something low maintenance and manageable rather than being artistic or clever. I may get more ambitious later, but not much. There will inevitably be some experimentation with formats in the early stages.

Although I will be able to glean some information from my own reading I will be reliant on members of the chess community to provide information which they would like to publicise. ACF and I hope to develop a network of contacts so that information from all states is included, but anyone can contribute. Items for inclusion, preferably in the form of whole sentences/paragraphs that can be copied and pasted so as to minimise errors from re-keying, should be sent to auschessnews@gmail.com

The above address should also be used for any other correspondence relating to the newsletter.

The focus will be on information rather than comment or amusement though there may be some of those. Letters to the Editor will be accepted (at my discretion) though the newsletter will not be the venue for long-running and/or acrimonious debate; matters likely to fall into that class should be pursued through one of the several bulletin boards and blogs now operating.

The previous mailing list is still in existence and will be used for distribution of the newsletter. If you are not on this list, or not sure (if you receive an e-mail later today similar to this message then you are on the list), you can subscribe via the ACF website http://www.auschess.org.au/

Finally notwithstanding anything above there may be changes to editorial policies and practices when we see what works.

Please pass this on or draw it to the intention of anybody you think may be interested.

Desmond
22-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Good luck with it, Ian. I'm sure you'll do a fine job.

Basil
22-08-2009, 06:16 PM
:cool: ^ wot he sed + wot i wrote in my mail.

Carl Gorka
22-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Good luck, I'll be sending you some Melbourne Chess Club news from time to time. Will you be including any games in the bulletin, and if so, what format would you like them in?

Ian Rout
23-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Will you be including any games in the bulletin, and if so, what format would you like them in?I plan on including some games; I'll take the second part on notice pending working out the mechanism for it.

Garvinator
23-08-2009, 02:26 PM
After months of being in a coma, the Australian Chess Federation's newsletter looks set to breathe again as wel-known ACT chess personality Ian Rout takes over as its editor. Ian, are you comfortable with your new status as a chess personality? ;)

Ian Rout
23-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Ian, are you comfortable with your new status as a chess personality? ;)
Well I suppose there's nothing I can do about it so there's no point being uncomfortable.

Ian Rout
02-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Good luck, I'll be sending you some Melbourne Chess Club news from time to time. Will you be including any games in the bulletin, and if so, what format would you like them in?
Returning to this question, PGN is probably the safest format for games. Naturally games should preferably be in some way dramatic or entertaining, for instance tournament-deciding games or games with a violent sacrifice, King hunt, blunder by someone who should know better, miraculous save or reversal, paradoxical move, underpromotion, stiking geometric motif etc.

While I have your attention, a reminder that the deadline for the first issue is this Friday, 4 September (or whenever I wake up on Saturday morning if you want to take a risk on that).

Ian Rout
08-09-2009, 08:05 PM
The newsletter has just gone out. There are some minor formatting issues that I was unable to resolve - some paragraph spacings went astray in the last section, and every section was meant to have a solid blue outline but only the Games section kept it. But I can live with those for the time being.

One issue that I came across in testing was that it was often moved to Spam folders, presumably through going to a bulk list, so if you don't see it then check your spam.

Please report any readability issues, other than those listed above, as testing naturally only covered a small proportion of systems. And try to contribute something for future issues.

Basil
08-09-2009, 09:35 PM
Yo! Ian. Baby. Way 2 go. Received my newsletter. Shizzle in the nizzle. Good work. 10 out 10s. Respec.

Carry on!

Oepty
08-09-2009, 09:36 PM
The newsletter has just gone out. There are some minor formatting issues that I was unable to resolve - some paragraph spacings went astray in the last section, and every section was meant to have a solid blue outline but only the Games section kept it. But I can live with those for the time being.

One issue that I came across in testing was that it was often moved to Spam folders, presumably through going to a bulk list, so if you don't see it then check your spam.

Please report any readability issues, other than those listed above, as testing naturally only covered a small proportion of systems. And try to contribute something for future issues.

Ian, My newsletter had a blue outline around all sections, so that appears to have worked for at least me.
Scott

Garvinator
08-09-2009, 09:50 PM
General borders for me except for games section which has the thick blue border.

Might have something to do with the format/program people are viewing the newsletter in??

Denis_Jessop
08-09-2009, 10:04 PM

I could not see any problems with the layout - certainly there were blue outlines around, and thin blue lines inside, each section.

One thing I did notice was that it appeared that clicking on the Table of Contents items may have been intended to take one to the item selected and I note that each section has a Table of Contents entry under it that may be intended to take one back to the table at the top. I get little hands appearing where they should but nothing happens when I click.

No problems with spam though if ones computer has a learning system for the spam filter, it should be easy enough to train it to recognise it as not spam.

DJ

ER
08-09-2009, 10:05 PM
How come I didn't get anything? :(

Alana
08-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Did you join the ACF Newsletter mailing list? There is a thread/link around somewhere :S

ER
08-09-2009, 11:25 PM
oh No I didn't thanks Champ! :) I still can't find the link though, they talk about other things like games etc! :(

Garvinator
08-09-2009, 11:50 PM
oh No I didn't thanks Champ! :) I still can't find the link though, they talk about other things like games etc! :(
Have a read of post 1 of this thread ;)

Garvinator
08-09-2009, 11:50 PM
I think this thread should be marked as important!

ER
08-09-2009, 11:57 PM
I did son, thanks! :) I go wait for confirmation now :) hey i got official welcome greetings by guess who? Denis and Stephen! :) I 'll go do the rest now :)

That's it! Welcome to our newsletter! Be sure to allow emails to come in from the 'Australian Chess Federation'. Currently they are sent every fortnight.
Thanks guys nice of you!!! :)

How come Ian isn't in the welcoming committee though? Maybe he is busy producing the thing! :)

Brian_Jones
09-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Congratulations Ian on a great first issue. Now you can have the job for life! :)

TrueBeliever
09-09-2009, 10:12 AM
I thought it was a nice touch to get Matthew involved. Good start

Kevin Bonham
09-09-2009, 02:22 PM

Or did he get himself involved?

I was quite amused to see Matt's letter as it has no substance whatsoever (it is nothing but his usual mode of comically ineffectual hate-rant abuse) and it will ensure no-one worth taking seriously takes him seriously for a very long time.

Excellent effort by Ian on the first edition; this is the sort of effort that I think is needed to make the newsletter viable and worthwhile.

Denis_Jessop
09-09-2009, 02:25 PM
I did son, thanks! :) I go wait for confirmation now :) hey i got official welcome greetings by guess who? Denis and Stephen! :) I 'll go do the rest now :)

Thanks guys nice of you!!! :)

How come Ian isn't in the welcoming committee though? Maybe he is busy producing the thing! :)

The mills of God grind slowly and so the greeting is signed by me and Stephen Cannings from the days when we were doing it pre-Tanti. This is one of the things one never knows about since none of us sees the message, already being subscribers.

We use Your Mailing List Provider as the distribution site and it works quite well. Ian can probably change the message greeting if he likes as there is a bit of HTML code on the distributor's site that provides the link on the ACF web site.

DJ

Denis_Jessop
09-09-2009, 02:27 PM

Yes; especially with such an erudite contribution :) People unfamiliar with the bulletin boards now know what he stands for.

DJ

Ian Rout
09-09-2009, 03:17 PM
The mills of God grind slowly and so the greeting is signed by me and Stephen Cannings from the days when we were doing it pre-Tanti. This is one of the things one never knows about since none of us sees the message, already being subscribers.

We use Your Mailing List Provider as the distribution site and it works quite well. Ian can probably change the message greeting if he likes as there is a bit of HTML code on the distributor's site that provides the link on the ACF web site.

DJ
Yes, I know where this is but I hadn't looked under the lid. I'll change it at some point.

JaK - if somebody hasn't mailed you the newsletter (I doubt that the list sends it retroactively) PM me and I'll forward it. I still have to get it put up at the ACF Archive.

Phil Bourke
09-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Excellent job. Thanks Ian for your superb effort.

Oepty
09-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Or did he get himself involved?

I was quite amused to see Matt's letter as it has no substance whatsoever (it is nothing but his usual mode of comically ineffectual hate-rant abuse) and it will ensure no-one worth taking seriously takes him seriously for a very long time.

While the message don't take Matthew Sweeney seriously is a good one to get out, and his letter did it beautifully, part of me wonders whether it should have been published. I am a bit concerned that young juniors might have read it, although they probably see worse. Really a bit divided on it.
Scott

Vlad
09-09-2009, 06:45 PM
I am intrigued. Scott, could you possibly forward me the newsletter? Thanks.

sleepless
09-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Great newsletter. I'd prefer to see the contributions moderated, if only because some people need to be protected from themselves.

Oepty
09-09-2009, 10:22 PM
I am intrigued. Scott, could you possibly forward me the newsletter? Thanks.

Done

ER
09-09-2009, 10:23 PM
JaK - if somebody hasn't mailed you the newsletter (I doubt that the list sends it retroactively) PM me and I'll forward it. I still have to get it put up at the ACF Archive.

Thanks Ian I have PM ed you from both work and home! Actually let me rephrase that: I have PM ed you from work providing both email adresses (work and home)! :)

Adamski
09-09-2009, 10:39 PM
I join with those who have congratulated Ian Rout on an excellent first issue in what we hope will be a long tenure as editor of the ACF Newsletter.

Sweeney's "effort" isn't worth the paper it would be written on if I printed it out! It shows again why I haven't missed anything worthwhile by never logging on to that other Bulletin Board.

Basil
09-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Simply, the Sweeney piece is a disgrace.

Only in chess in Australia (out of all the organised activities on the planet) is any oxygen given to foul-mouthed, senseless offerings like the one penned by Matthew Sweeney.

In civilised and mature societal gatherings, no worthy participant would offer this for airing via the national flagship, and if published anywhere else should warrant a lengthy ban from the national body. It denigrates the body as a whole, the offices held and the members represented.

Our elected officials should be protected from such vilification.

As it happens, in this instance, I don't believe our ACF officials particularly care,
i) such is the base history of Sweeney, and
ii) their own thick skins

but their care-factor and their hides are no defence and should be no protection. It is up to the members to act, not the officials to be forced to act in their own interests.

But if the piece hadn't been published? Surely an individual can pen what he likes and it is the choice of the publisher to air it? Nothing changes. A member submitting offal such as that through the official channels is not fit to be, and should be welcomed as, a member. The elements of the unacceptable behaviour are:

- submitting the piece to the secretary/ editor of the national body, and separately
- causing it to be published (say on a bulletin board)

One may ask about the freedom of speech? While the freedom of speech is not absolute (a novel shock to many aspiring Woolfie Smiths) it is not the freedom of expression I seek to limit - it is the freedom of association within a civilsed body that I wish to extinguish. In short, they can graffiti their message on Central Station for all I care (within the confines of this argument) - it is their membership of this association that needs to be severed.

And finally - and most importantly - it is the membership that needs to drive this initiative - not the targets.

I urge you all to voice your support and add your weight to the idea that ACF elected officials are not to be subjected to personal and vular abuse during the course of the duties.

One final word. There will be howls from the freedom-fighters, the spineless, the easily-led, the grudge-carriers and others who will seek to obscure what is a very simple tenet. Do not succumb to it. Stand up and be counted. Have the courage to speak. Behind the noise, (and ignoring anonymous people), there will, in reality be less than ten people in the whole universe that support Matthew Sweeney's abuse of of our elected officials.

Howard Duggan
Past President CAQ
Past VP BCC

-------

As for the publication of the piece, that was a choice of the editor - one which in this instance, I support (a tactical motif to dispose of a knight on the rim which is very dim). That apparent confused juxtaposition is a debate we can have later (probably with Trevor Stanning and a few others who will want to obscure to the power of 10 and beyond) but is not germane to the central idea of removing authors such as Sweeney from membership of the national body.

I would expect further possible howls of double standards to be shabbily disinterred - say simply being foul-mouthed towards other people (so many of us could be banned!). That is also a debate we can have later, but IMO will be disposed of quickly because both thresholds of i) degree and ii) being leveled against people in their elected capacities are breached.

Thunderspirit
10-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Is the bulliten going to be loaded on the ACF web page?

Ian Rout
10-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Is the bulliten going to be loaded on the ACF web page?
It has now:

http://www.auschess.org.au/bulletins/acfbt.htm

I was given the password and wasn't given the name of a webmaster so I took that to mean that I was allowed to do it myself, though the formatting looks a bit off in Firefox but seems fine in IE.

ER
10-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Ian thanks for everything, everything settled here! :) Presentation and content fine! I 'd prefer not to have read Matt's letter to the editor. I do not think he is happy re-appraising the whole thing in hindsight either. Having said that I would love to see him writing again, correcting style and content of his original letter; I don't really believe that his opinions expressed in his original letter, trully represent the grandiose, gentle and lovable personality and magnanimously friendly nature of Matt Sweeney I have met and look forward to meet again in Chess tournaments!

Thunderspirit
10-09-2009, 04:59 PM
It has now:

I was given the password and wasn't given the name of a webmaster so I took that to mean that I was allowed to do it myself, though the formatting looks a bit off in Firefox but seems fine in IE.

Thanks Ian for your continued work.

Kevin Bonham
11-09-2009, 09:21 PM
I 'd prefer not to have read Matt's letter to the editor. I do not think he is happy re-appraising the whole thing in hindsight either. Having said that I would love to see him writing again, correcting style and content of his original letter;

There wasn't any content to correct. It was all just completely vacuous abuse with not the slightest attempt made to ground it in any fact or issue.

I don't really believe that his opinions expressed in his original letter, trully represent the grandiose, gentle and lovable personality and magnanimously friendly nature of Matt Sweeney I have met and look forward to meet again in Chess tournaments!

Me neither; in my limited experience he is mostly a positive presence in real life, although the joker side of his personality can be a bit of a nuisance (for instance when he tried to vote in an ACF Presidential election while clearly an observer unentitled to do so).

The problem with Matt is that most of his forum and email ranting fails to represent his offline personality.

CameronD
12-09-2009, 12:58 AM
Ive come to the conclusion that it is not appropiate for sweeneys letter to be published. Minors and the general public opinion of Australian chess would be harmed by this public article and the regard of chess by the general public would be decreased by anyone reading the article.

Miranda
12-09-2009, 02:27 AM
I don't see why Sweeney's letter was published in the first place. It contributes absolutely nothing to the newsletter, is abusive, degrading, and no reason for this attack was noted. 72 words wasted. In any case, Sweeney has simply made a fool of himself to all those who received the newsletter and don't know what the dispute is about.

Apart from that contribution, the rest of the newsletter was well-written and a job well done! Thanks and congratulations Ian! :clap:

Basil
12-09-2009, 10:23 AM
I don't see why Sweeney's letter was published in the first place.

There are long-standing yelps and witterings from the agitated dullards (who incite a few others each year, who in turn lose interest/ grow up/ drop off and the cycle repeats) who claim against the ACF, this bulletin board and indeed anywhere any semblance of authority or hierarchy exists, 'closed-shop, non-inclusion, freedom of speech' and other inapplicable mantras common to ... agitated dullards everywhere.

Ergo ...

As for the publication of the piece, that was a choice of the editor - one which in this instance, I support (a tactical motif to highlight a knight on the rim which is indeed very dim).

Denis_Jessop
12-09-2009, 05:26 PM
I don't see why Sweeney's letter was published in the first place. It contributes absolutely nothing to the newsletter, is abusive, degrading, and no reason for this attack was noted. 72 words wasted. In any case, Sweeney has simply made a fool of himself to all those who received the newsletter and don't know what the dispute is about.

Apart from that contribution, the rest of the newsletter was well-written and a job well done! Thanks and congratulations Ian! :clap:

Actually, Miranda, none of us except perhaps Matthew Sweeney, knows what the dispute is about or even that there is a dispute (as distinct from Anti-ACF hatred). The sad thing is that Matthew's letter contained the same anti-ACF irrational raving, even down to the actual words, that he has used before. He is now clearly well beyond his use-by date as any kind of force in Australian chess.

DJ

Ian Rout
06-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Now that I'm back from my tour of the more northerly (and warmer) parts of the country, a reminder that this Friday 9th October is the deadline for the next issue of the ACF Newsletter. From here I hope to keep up the schedule of two issues per month most of the time. All correspondence to auschessnews@gmail.com

One thing that I would like to include is a list of Australian chess media, incorporating on-line newspaper columns, blogs and bulletin boards, and anything similar if there is anything similar (not standard club websites, that will be a separate project for next time.) This will be repeated from time to time. I've made a draft list of those I know of which can be viewed here (http://www.auschess.org.au/newsletter/chessmedia.htm). If anybody knows of any others please mention them here or to the above address.

Ian Rout
13-10-2009, 01:43 PM
The latest ACF Newsletter was mailed out this morning. It has now been added to the ACF web site at:

Vlad
13-10-2009, 02:46 PM
In the following para

Australian Young Masters

The Australian Young Masters was organised by Vladimir Smirnov at the Sydney Chess Academy from 7th to 11th October.

Andrew Brown won the main event with 7.5/9 from Blair Mandla 6, Gene Nakauchi 5.5, Allen Setiabudi and Oscar Wang 5.

Sally Yu ran away with the Junior Masters, scoring 7.5/9 ahead of Alister Cameron, Nicholas Deen-Cowell and Kevin Tan 5.5.

The Girls’ Masters was won by Alana Chibnall 7.5/9 with Sophie Eustace and Megan Setiabudi on 6.5.

a) organized by Vladimir Smirnov and Charles Zworestine,
b) has nothing to do with the Sydney Chess Academy,
c) Allen Setiabudi and Oscar Wang scored 4.5,
d) both junior and girls masters had 10 games.

Ian Rout
28-10-2009, 08:45 AM
This fortnight's newsletter went out last night. Note that the link to the article on the Gladstone Chess Club doesn't work, the article is here (http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/story/2009/10/26/check-and-mate-for-chess-club/). This will be corrected in the archive copy which will be added to the ACF site later today.

Davidflude
28-10-2009, 09:51 AM
The news sheet incorrectly gives the wrong venue for the Victorian Blitz.

The tournament is being held at 7 Rochester Road.

Davidflude
28-10-2009, 09:55 AM
The following Grand Prix event was omitted from the bulletin.

Box Hill Chess Club presents
The 2009 CANTERBURY SUMMER SWISS*
at 3 Rochester Road Canterbury
on 3 days from December 27 to December 29

Ratings: ACF rated, FIDE rated
Entry fees: Early bird entry fee $40 Pay before Christmas
Or after that date Full entry fee $60
There is a special discount of $10 for Box Hill Chess Club, and Canterbury Junior members on all entry fees.
Free entry for Grand Masters and International Masters provided their entries are received during the early bird period
Payments: Cash, or cheque to the Box Hill Chess Club Inc.
Entries: by mail to the address on the entry form or in person at the Box Hill Chess Club.
Prizes
Total Prize fund $1200
First Prize $400
Second Prize $200
Third prize $100
Five Ratings prizes $100
Playing schedule:
Sunday Rd 1 10.00 Rd 2 15.00
Monday Dec 28 Rd 3 10.00 Rd 4, 15.00 Rd 5, 19.30
Tuesday Dec. 29 Rd 6 10.00 Rd 7 15.00

Forfeit time 30 minutes

*The tournament is financially supported by the friends of the Box Hill Chess Club who aim to contribute $500 towards the tournament expenses

Enquiries: Gerrit Hartland, tournament organiser
Telephone 9 8783163 email: gerrit.hartland@bigpond.com

Ian Rout
28-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Bulletin 09/10B has been added to the archive at

with the correction of items referred to above (which I suppose technically makes it not an archive).

Watto
26-01-2010, 11:01 PM
Hi Ian. The latest newsletter arrived today, packed with information.
I just wanted to say it's great, thanks.

Kevin Bonham
26-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Ditto to above. Much appreciated.

Adamski
27-01-2010, 06:45 AM
Hi Ian. The latest newsletter arrived today, packed with information.
I just wanted to say it's great, thanks.Thirded. Ian, I would like to place on record that you are doing a terrific job with the newsletter. Your coverage of the Aus Champs, including games, is terrific too.

Allan Menham
28-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Great to have the ACF Newsletter back on deck!!:clap:

Ian Rout
10-03-2010, 07:56 AM
The first March newsletter went out last night - well I thought it did, but it didn't turn up in any of my test addresses or in the archive so I have re-sent it. It looks to have worked this time. Whether this was a system or human error I don't know.

It's possible that the first one has taken the long way round and people will get two copies, but probably not.