PDA

View Full Version : Sports psychology etc (OT stuff split from ratings)

Rhubarb
25-07-2004, 09:06 AM
Of course, when Bill calls the impossibly stupid David a cretin or a moron, it's an insult to all cretins and morons.

Bill Gletsos
25-07-2004, 11:38 AM
Of course, when Bill calls the impossibly stupid David a cretin or a moron, it's an insult to all cretins and morons.
I see you decided to break your self imposed break from the BB to post that.

I guess that says it all my friend.

Lucena
29-07-2004, 10:58 PM

well look who's popped out of the woodwork :D

Rincewind
29-07-2004, 11:51 PM

Were you referring to Greg or yourself? :D

Rhubarb
30-07-2004, 05:29 AM
Welcome back to you too, gbc. I note that, despite your hiatus, you've racked up 295 posts already. I present a challenge to you: in your next 295 posts, you must at least once express an independent, intelligent statement (controversial if necessary), rather than a glib one-liner. [HINT: your mentors are probably not going to be starter or gg.] :owned:

Rincewind
30-07-2004, 07:38 AM
Welcome back to you too, gbc. I note that, despite your hiatus, you've racked up 295 posts already. I present a challenge to you: in your next 295 posts, you must at least once express an independent, intelligent statement (controversial if necessary), rather than a glib one-liner. [HINT: your mentors are probably not going to be starter or gg.] :owned:

Acerbic. Getting mentally prepared for the Aust Masters? ;) (Good luck, btw)

Rhubarb
30-07-2004, 08:12 AM
Acerbic.

Yeah it was a bit. Gareth's a friend of mine so I'm sure he'll recover. Meanwhile I couldn't resist a friendly blind-side broad-side at gg and starter (both of whom I quite like, btw).

Getting mentally prepared for the Aust Masters?
You're dead right here Baz. I hate to admit it, but obstreperousness does wonders for my play.

Rincewind
30-07-2004, 08:22 AM
You're dead right here Baz. I hate to admit it, but obstreperousness does wonders for my play.

Sports psychology is probably an area that more chess players could take advantage of. My anecdotal observations is that attitude effects results in a huge way.

You (and George) have to stick it to the Vics so let's hope you get a lot more obstreperous - but in a sportsmanlike way, of course.

Rhubarb
30-07-2004, 08:52 AM
Sports psychology is probably an area that more chess players could take advantage of. My anecdotal observations is that attitude effects results in a huge way.

Right. In chess, where's there's no physical release, people get to their optimum pyschological state in different ways. I know that when I'm full of anger and bile, I get my best results; when I'm nervous or indifferent, I can't concentrate and I play terribly. But other people can't play their best unless they are nervous, for example. So I'm not suggesting that other people should get angry or bilious, but it works for me. I just hope I haven't peaked too soon, since we don't kick off till Tuesday. :nervous:

ursogr8
30-07-2004, 08:54 AM
....I present a challenge to you: .........., you must at least once express an independent, intelligent statement (controversial if necessary), rather than a glib one-liner. [HINT: your mentors are probably not going to be starter or gg.] :owned:

Greg

If you were a journalist I could understand this comment of yours. You would be fixated on producing enough words to fill your allocated column-inches.
However, I am at loss to imagine any theory as to how you have confused a succinct style with a glib style in my case. :uhoh:

starter

ps BTW, I like some of your posts.

Rhubarb
30-07-2004, 09:23 AM
If you were a journalist

Excellently played starter! Although I work on the editorial team of many journals, not many people consider me to be a journalist.

You would be fixated on producing enough words to fill your allocated column-inches.
Yes it's true, I'm normally fixated on reducing, not filling, column-inches.

However, I am at loss to imagine any theory as to how you have confused a succinct style with a glib style in my case. :uhoh:

This was indeed a terrible accusation on my part. I hereby nominate you as Gareth's No.1 mentor for constructive posts about post-counts.

ps BTW, I like some of your posts.

I like all of your posts.

ursogr8
30-07-2004, 10:12 AM
Excellently played starter! Although I work on the editorial team of many journals, not many people consider me to be a journalist.

Yes it's true, I'm normally fixated on reducing, not filling, column-inches.

This was indeed a terrible accusation on my part. I hereby nominate you as Gareth's No.1 mentor for constructive posts about post-counts.

I like all of your posts.

Oh. Well played Greg. :clap:
You have played some nice moves to shore up the weaknesses in your position.

Just a minor correction needed to your perception of my position. Let me state that
i) I don't make constructive posts on post-counts because frankly my posts are simply reactive responses to points raised by others; and the others usually don't have anything constructive in their posts
ii) Most of my interest in post-counts is not in the body of the post. :uhoh:

Hope this is not too glib for you.

regards
starter

doc
30-07-2004, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE=Barry Cox]Sports psychology is probably an area that more chess players could take advantage of. My anecdotal observations is that attitude effects results in a huge way.
QUOTE]

This is very true.

Chess, like many sports, requires tenacity and endurance which is often untrained in many player's minds. This must be harnessed in order to produce the desired outcomes.

I prescribe, partircularly for many on this BB, a few sessions of psychology!

Garvinator
30-07-2004, 12:07 PM
I prescribe, partircularly for many on this BB, a few sessions of psychology! the irony of this post is hilarious
:lol: :whistle:

doc
30-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Whistle away, oh nemesis of mine, to the tune of mediocrity and incompetence.

Rincewind
30-07-2004, 12:56 PM
Chess, like many sports, requires tenacity and endurance which is often untrained in many player's minds. This must be harnessed in order to produce the desired outcomes.

Tenacity and endurance are important in chess but I was talking about the less quantifiable attitude. Some people call it the "will to win", or "courage". I prefer to call it the "mongrel factor". I think all champions have the mongrel and every player needs to find their own mongrel if they are to excel.

Ample quantity of mongrel manifests itself in tenacity and endurance.

I prescribe, partircularly for many on this BB, a few sessions of psychology!

I don't know if you mind the mongrel factor in the psych liturature. But tell me doc, it is of psychology that you are a doctor?

Lucena
10-08-2004, 11:47 PM
Were you referring to Greg or yourself? :D

OK you got me there. In commenting on Greg's return from absence of almost a month, I'd forgotten it was 11 or so days since I'd posted myself :oops:

antichrist
13-08-2004, 04:04 PM
I don't believe that this thread of only two has had appox. 5000 honest viewers. Own up, who is doing a "Paulini". All the NSW membership so many times over could not rack up so many views. Is this a loaves and fishes act??

Rhubarb
17-08-2004, 08:13 PM
I don't believe that this thread of only two has had appox. 5000 honest viewers. Own up, who is doing a "Paulini". All the NSW membership so many times over could not rack up so many views. Is this a loaves and fishes act??
Peter, I assume the view count is a hangover from the very long ratings thread that this thread was split from. :doh:

Note that when a mod does split an off-topic discussion, the first transgressor tends to get the inadvertent honour of being the new thread initiator.

Kevin Bonham
17-08-2004, 10:28 PM
Peter, I assume the view count is a hangover from the very long ratings thread that this thread was split from. :doh:

Correct. When a thread is split in two, its view count at the point where it is split is given to both the new threads (even if one of them only has one post and has hardly been viewed by anyone).

Note that when a mod does split an off-topic discussion, the first transgressor tends to get the inadvertent honour of being the new thread initiator.

:D Yes. But not always.

Rhubarb
18-08-2004, 03:21 AM
Correct. When a thread is split in two, its view count at the point where it is split is given to both the new threads (even if one of them only has one post and has hardly been viewed by anyone).

:D Yes. But not always.

Yeah i know, it was only when antichrist, who i don't know from a bar of frankincense, sent me a PM about his imaginary friend "Paulini" that I felt obligated to respond.

antichrist
18-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Yeah i know, it was only when antichrist, who i don't know from a bar of frankincense, sent me a PM about his imaginary friend "Paulini" that I felt obligated to respond.

Paulini was the (too fat) "Pop Idol" whatever contestant whose record went to number one due to "stacking", i.e., someone went and bought about a thousand records to make it shoot up to number one. She's beautiful, I love her.

Bill Gletsos
18-08-2004, 04:25 PM
Yeah i know, it was only when antichrist, who i don't know from a bar of frankincense
You don't know Peter Hanna?

antichrist
31-08-2004, 05:44 PM
Yesterday I had one my rarish brilliant days. That is I could easily see 6 moves ahead and did beautiful combos. For sacking a queen I won 2 rooks a bishop and knight. It was only half way into the opening and he had not castled yet. Then I went to a chess night and did the same all night, the top players weren't there and no one got next to me, all the games over very quickly. I had about 5 minutes sleep about 1 hour earlier.

Other days I struggle and takes ages to force myself to think.

Does anybody have the answer?

If necessary maybe I could have seen ten or moves ahead yesterday.

Oepty
31-08-2004, 06:05 PM
I have had a couple of similar days myself where I have played a lot lot better chess than I mostly do. My theory is that I sometimes just feel more confident so I do better. Of course tiredness and other emotional factors effect how you play as well.

Scott