PDA

View Full Version : Victorian club announcements

Davidflude
15-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Any club affiliated to Chess Victoria can send out announcements to persons on the Chess Vicoria mailing list.

The procedure is as follows:-

1) send the announcement to Trevor Stanning who is on the executive of Chess Victoria at
"Trevor Stanning"trevors@bluep.com>

2) Trevor will then check that the announcement is reasonable and send the announcement to me.

3) I will distribute the announcement.

Notes.

1) Please keep announcements brief. Many people receive announcements through corporate websites which often reject long messages especially if they have attachments.

2) The Chess Victoria mailing list has not been properly maintained for some years. I took over a really shonky list and fixing it is difficult. At present approximately 25% of addresses are invalid. I am thinking of doing a purge. however the automated system for doing so will wipe out some valid addresses which were rejected for such reasons as mailboxes being closed while a person is on holiday.

Any thoughts on this point would be appreciated.

This week I have sent out an announcement about the Box Hill Chess Club open day and in a few minutes will be sending out details of the Melbourne Chess Club Transfer Tournament.

Davidflude
16-08-2009, 12:21 AM
I have problems sending out the message.

First the original message sent me has some junk included. (about contacting sheilas). Second when I send out messages I get a windows error and my program drops in a heap.

I shall manually type the message into Sendblaster and try again.

If that failsl I am going to have to back up my files and reinstall Sendblaster. If that fails I will have to back up everything and reinstall Windows.

Oh happy day.

Spiny Norman
16-08-2009, 08:01 AM
David, there are tools around that can help you validate email addresses. They work by running a dummy mail sending test to the address. I probably have a copy of one of these applications somewhere around here, so if you would like me to dig it out and email it to you, drop me an email: [deleted]

As regards "reinstalling Windows" just in order to get an email program working. Its possibly because of patches installed into Windows. If it is that, then the problem will re-occur. I would suggest obtaining an alternative email sending program, rather than the Windows reinstall option.

Davidflude
16-08-2009, 11:44 AM
I have problems sending out the message.

First the original message sent me has some junk included. (about contacting sheilas). Second when I send out messages I get a windows error and my program drops in a heap.

I shall manually type the message into Sendblaster and try again.

If that failsl I am going to have to back up my files and reinstall Sendblaster. If that fails I will have to back up everything and reinstall Windows.

Oh happy day.

Thank you for your help. This morning I sent out a bulk email using a different mailing list and message and it worked perfectly. The problem appears to be with the message or with the chess Victoria list or both.
First I will send a test message to see if the problem is the message. If so as explained above I will manually retype the message myself and see if this fixes the problem.

If I am still haveing problems I will chop the Chess Victoria list into sections to localize the problem

Davidflude
16-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Manually retyping the announcement fixed the problem. Clearly there was a nasty hidden in the original email.

ER
16-08-2009, 07:50 PM
David, with all due respect, but why all this? The forum here as well as other media outlets including the Clubs' websites themselves are more than efficient to provide all the information needed.
I would suggest CV's mailing list system to be repaired and used for sending out important and updated information for the Club members instead of the other way around.
Also and despite my well known respect for and friendship with Trevor, whose integrity I would never ever doubt, there is something in the concept of the Clubs lodging their announcemets for approval by a CV executive committee member that doesn't really sound good to me.
Trevor apart from his CV officialdom he is also a Club official. A potential rejection of a Club's announcement for whichever reason, could raise some conflict of interest discussion which neither Trevor nor anyone else, club or individual would ever want to be a part of.

Mischa
16-08-2009, 08:08 PM
I am having to agree with this

Mischa
16-08-2009, 08:30 PM
so they can send it out anywhere else?

Ninja
17-08-2009, 12:59 AM
David, with all due respect, but why all this? The forum here as well as other media outlets including the Clubs' websites themselves are more than efficient to provide all the information needed.
I would suggest CV's mailing list system to be repaired and used for sending out important and updated information for the Club members instead of the other way around.
Also and despite my well known respect for and friendship with Trevor, whose integrity I would never ever doubt, there is something in the concept of the Clubs lodging their announcemets for approval by a CV executive committee member that doesn't really sound good to me.
Believe it or not, lots of chess club members use email all the time but are not the slightest bit interested in setting foot in any of the forums.

As far as a CV office holder checking any announcement before it is sent out I would have thought that was the minimum required considering it is being sent to a mailing list where the members of the list have subscribed to a CV sponsored list not a local club list. If an individual club wishes to put together their own email list (and quite a few do) they get to check what is sent out themselves. If they want it sent out to a CV list then CV are responsible to check that it is appropriate to be sent and that includes checking that the message being sent is in line with the original stated purpose of the list.

Watto
17-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Believe it or not, lots of chess club members use email all the time but are not the slightest bit interested in setting foot in any of the forums.

As far as a CV office holder checking any announcement before it is sent out I would have thought that was the minimum required considering it is being sent to a mailing list where the members of the list have subscribed to a CV sponsored list not a local club list. If an individual club wishes to put together their own email list (and quite a few do) they get to check what is sent out themselves. If they want it sent out to a CV list then CV are responsible to check that it is appropriate to be sent and that includes checking that the message being sent is in line with the original stated purpose of the list.
Yes, I just took this to be a service that CV are prepared to provide, nothing more or less. As far as I can see they are just turning what has been an informal service (individual clubs already occasionally ask David Flude to send out announcements using the CV mailing list which he kindly agrees to) into a more structured one. I don’t see anything wrong with CV being allowed to judge whether the material they send out in this way is reasonable or not. I'm assuming that if they weren't happy with an announcement they would discuss it with the club, including any amendments etc, before it went out to the list.

Clubs would of course be free to send their own announcements through their own channels as they see fit. I see this as just an extra service to a larger mailing list if clubs wished to use it. I can’t really see anything controversial about it...

Davidflude
17-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Yes, I just took this to be a service that CV are prepared to provide, nothing more or less. As far as I can see they are just turning what has been an informal service (individual clubs already occasionally ask David Flude to send out announcements using the CV mailing list which he kindly agrees to) into a more structured one. I donít see anything wrong with CV being allowed to judge whether the material they send out in this way is reasonable or not. I'm assuming that if they weren't happy with an announcement they would discuss it with the club, including any amendments etc, before it went out to the list.

Clubs would of course be free to send their own announcements through their own channels as they see fit. I see this as just an extra service to a larger mailing list if clubs wished to use it. I canít really see anything controversial about it...

I agree with you Watto. It is the Chess Victoria mailing list. I cannot send out announcements using this list unless a Chess Victoria official sends me the announcement.

ER
18-08-2009, 12:41 AM
If CV wants to improve its services to the Chess Community they can start by improving their website making it attractive and popular. Compare it with NSWCA's website for example and you will notice the difference!
If CV wants to really help the Clubs they should co-operate with the Clubs and not disregard them as they did in the Interclub fiasko!
CV can also widen their network of media outlets. I never touched the "two forums" subject but since someone brought it up, CV should be more objective in providing information about their activities in all existing media outlets.
CV's fantastic achievements re FIDE and NEXUS sponsorships :clap: :clap: :clap: were not given the publicity they deserved (in fact the wider chess community know nothing about them) due to CV's preferential treatment in providing related information.
I have messaged an executive official asking them for an interview for this forum re NEXUS and FIDE almost three weeks ago! I am still waiting for an answer!
I 've never doubted CV's good intentions as well as the great job they are doing resulting in fine achievements. Communication and Media PR however, are defintitely not amongst them !
As for the Club members who do not follow the Forums, as suggested, Clubs with the exceptions of a couple (?) have theri own websites and they do quite well on that dept too!
So be realistic please!

Watto
18-08-2009, 09:05 AM
If CV wants to improve its services to the Chess Community they can start by improving their website making it attractive and popular. Compare it with NSWCA's website for example and you will notice the difference!
If CV wants to really help the Clubs they should co-operate with the Clubs and not disregard them as they did in the Interclub fiasko!
CV can also widen their network of media outlets. I never touched the "two forums" subject but since someone brought it up, CV should be more objective in providing information about their activities in all existing media outlets.
CV's fantastic achievements re FIDE and NEXUS sponsorships :clap: :clap: :clap: were not given the publicity they deserved (in fact the wider chess community know nothing about them) due to CV's preferential treatment in providing related information.
I have messaged an executive official asking them for an interview for this forum re NEXUS and FIDE almost three weeks ago! I am still waiting for an answer!
I 've never doubted CV's good intentions as well as the great job they are doing resulting in fine achievements. Communication and Media PR however, are defintitely not amongst them !
As for the Club members who do not follow the Forums, as suggested, Clubs with the exceptions of a couple (?) have theri own websites and they do quite well on that dept too!
So be realistic please!
Hi JaK. :) This is one service that is already informally operating that can be improved. It's a useful service, especially for clubs with smaller mailing lists. It's not a time consuming or money wasting improvement that should prevent other important things from being done or being lobbied for (you make some good points- I especially I agree about the CV website.) As such I still don't see it as contentious and I think I'm being fairly realistic. ;)

Davidflude
18-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Lots of chess players received an email from Grant Szuveges this morning. This contains the same nasty that caused problems for me referred to in previous postings

You will see a clickable weblink in the email "vi*ew pho*tos of sin*gles in yo*ur ar*ea" without the stars. Clicking on this link may do damage to your computer.

I will not send out bulk emails for Grant until this problem is fixed to avoid the risk of infecting other peoples computers.