PDA

View Full Version : Check!!! To call or not to call!

ER
15-08-2009, 12:42 AM
Your opponent moves one of his pieces checking your King. "Check"! he calls emphatically, some times even pointing at his piece thus underlying the resolute nature of their move. You look at him/her in a way that says "I know, I am in check you so and so you don't have to tell me!
Actually, in certain parts of Europe even calling a check on the Queen ("Gardez la reine!" was within the correct etiquette of playing the royal game! Checking the King ("Gardez le Roi!" or simply "Roi"!) was just part and parcel of the chess player's parlance regardless the venue.
I never say "check"! Do you?
Is there any rule related to this?

Hobbes
15-08-2009, 12:48 AM
"Check to the actual physical King!"

CameronD
15-08-2009, 12:51 AM
I dont, and its probably against the local chess culture here. But it wouldnt bother me and i wouldnt complain about it or whinge at chesschat about it either.

Kevin Bonham
15-08-2009, 12:52 AM
There is no rule requiring a player to say check.

Saying check in a serious tournament game is nearly always unacceptable distraction, if not of the opponent then of other players. Probably OK if done very quietly when the opponent has already commenced making an illegal move and you wish to deter them, though I find just pointing at the checking piece and then their king most often sufficient.

At weak junior chess level it is probably a good idea to encourage saying check otherwise you will spend your whole day chasing up illegal move issues.

Probably another thread on this somewhere.

Actually, in certain parts of Europe even calling a check on the Queen ("Gardez la reine!" was within the correct etiquette of playing the royal game!

My dad encouraged saying "En garde!" for attacks on the queen.

Capablanca-Fan
15-08-2009, 10:24 AM
No, don't say check at club level or beyond. As KB said, there is no rule, and it could be a distraction. It's mainly Hollywood that portrays top players as announcing "check", e.g. the Kronsteen v McAdams game in the James Bond movie From Russia with Love (based on the Spassky v Bronstein brilliancy (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1034110) played a few years before).

It's inadvisable in blitz because if it's not noticed, you could claim a win via illegal move.

Garvinator
15-08-2009, 11:14 AM
No, don't say check at club level or beyond. As KB said, there is no rule, and it could be a distraction. It's mainly Hollywood that portrays top players as announcing "check", e.g. the Kronsteen v McAdams game in the James Bond movie From Russia with Love (based on the Spassky v Bronstein brilliancy (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1034110) played a few years before).

It's inadvisable in blitz because if it's not noticed, you could claim a win via illegal move.
Calling check can also be taken as insulting by some players.

Desmond
15-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Calling check when it isn't is a good coffee-house tactic to confuse people.

Basil
15-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Calling check when it isn't is a good coffee-house tactic to confuse people.
Voting Labor and then trying to intellectually justify it with real-world examples of prior success is also a good way to confuse people ;)

Garvinator
15-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Voting Labor and then trying to intellectually justify it with real-world examples of prior success is also a good way to confuse people ;)
off topic :P

ER
15-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Memories of John the Welsh (neither a leek munching ;) nor a virginal patzer ) mad poet at the MCC. Amongst his rapid fire reciting of Shakespearian sonets and Keats's Ode To A Nightingale and his brilliant drawings, thunderous cries of "Check to your King, you full!" Sadly, he had become very violent during the last stages of his short life; a Gothic, fiery character, clad in black overcoats, with an inexplicable hatred for Dylan Thomas.

Rincewind
15-08-2009, 05:51 PM
...with an inexplicable hatred for Dylan Thomas.

Don't tell me he visited MCC as well...

ER
15-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Don't tell me he visited MCC as well...
Hey Nano is still around! Long time no see! No Dylan didn't, Shaekspeare and Keats had prioriy, so we sent him to Gong to keep you company; did he find his way there?

Miranda
15-08-2009, 11:48 PM
I tend to find it rather irritating when an opponent insists on announcing "CHECK", specially when we're in an endgame and it happens every few moves! I like to think that at most tournaments, most of the players will be experienced enough to tell when they're in check and when they aren't. However, in tournaments where there are younger kids or kids who don't play much (such as interschools) I think it's acceptable.

Capablanca-Fan
16-08-2009, 03:53 PM
However, in tournaments where there are younger kids or kids who don't play much (such as interschools) I think it's acceptable.
Yeah, as KB said too. But when they get more advanced, it would be good to break the habit.

Metro
17-08-2009, 02:47 AM
I tend to find it rather irritating when an opponent insists on announcing "CHECK", specially when we're in an endgame and it happens every few moves!
That's why some players do it!

Capablanca-Fan
17-08-2009, 07:48 AM
In that case, they should be penalized under article 12.6 (http://www.fide.com/component/handbook/?id=124&view=article).

AzureBlue
17-08-2009, 08:14 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

ER
17-08-2009, 12:58 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Check Mate! :P

Saragossa
17-08-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm too much of an annoying opponent to complain about something like calling check.

FM_Bill
06-07-2010, 04:33 PM
There was an incident in the 1970s or 1960s where a certain player named Ozols was Black and had a lost position and his opponent had one move to go before the time control at move 40.

Ozols could play ...Ra1+ whereupon white could safely move the king.

Ozols could also play ...Ra2 not check but threatening mate on g2, but could easily be met.

Ozols solution was to play ...Ra2+!!! enticing white to touch his king, which allowed mate in one.

Igor_Goldenberg
12-07-2010, 01:54 PM
I was once reprimanded (quite rightfully) by a grandmaster (who is a perfect gentleman and a very lovely character) for announcing check three or four times in a row.

Goughfather
13-07-2010, 03:12 AM
Personally, I think the question is a no-brainer when it comes to a club or a tournament game.

This might be slightly off-topic, but it would be interesting if people had a view on the correct ettiquette in responding to draw offers, namely, whether it is appropriate to verbally decline, or whether the correct approach is to simply play a move rather than accepting. Personally, I'll generally just make a move, though I have to admit that I remember rejecting a fairly hopeful draw offer some time in the past with a tone that could have been construed as being dismissive, although this was more my automatic response than any attempt to communicate disgust to my opponent.

With the above in mind, it would be interesting to note whether people think that unduly dismissive rejections of draw offers should be policed and in what circumstances it would warrant being policed. One would think that a tone of disdain would be quite subjective to adjudicate upon, although perhaps a rejection expressed with expressly dismissive words (i.e. rather than simply "No, thanks") might be regarding as annoying one's opponent and could theoretically require a warning.

Kevin Bonham
13-07-2010, 02:32 PM
This might be slightly off-topic, but it would be interesting if people had a view on the correct ettiquette in responding to draw offers, namely, whether it is appropriate to verbally decline, or whether the correct approach is to simply play a move rather than accepting.

There's an old thread on draw etiquette here (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=1828) so I'll probably move this part of the discussion over there soon.

As I noted on that thread, for ridiculous draw offers I either decline immediately or just make a move. For genuine offers I often acknowledge it, and then if I decline I just play a move.

With the above in mind, it would be interesting to note whether people think that unduly dismissive rejections of draw offers should be policed and in what circumstances it would warrant being policed.

I think it should only be policed if the response is genuinely abusive. If a player responds to a draw offer by bashing out a move immediately that's their prerogative.

ER
13-07-2010, 04:39 PM
for ridiculous draw offers I either decline immediately or just make a move...
What about online chess, when you are desparately short of time and you have a won position and all of a sudden a ridiculous offer combined with a sizeable dialogue box obscuring (ed) the board appeas, and before you have time to clear it off and play your move you are lost on time? :(

Kevin Bonham
13-07-2010, 04:40 PM
What about online chess, when you are desparately short of time and you have a won position and all of a sudden a ridiculous offer combined with a sizeable dialogue box obsuring the board appeas, and before you have time to clear it off and play your move you are lost on time? :(

I don't play online so have no experience of this form of blatant cheating. Diabolical stuff!

FM_Bill
01-10-2010, 12:19 PM
I don't play online so have no experience of this form of blatant cheating. Diabolical stuff!

In the early days of Fics, players could disconnect without resigning and the game wouldn't get rated. Preposterous they could get away with that.

ER
01-10-2010, 03:58 PM
In the early days of Fics, players could disconnect without resigning and the game wouldn't get rated. Preposterous they could get away with that.

Hi Bill, they still do it, because most of their opponents (myself included) don't bother to go through the boring adjudication process!
I have four of those games still hanging there!
Nice to see you back firing with all guns! :)
BTW I 've heard you are preparing for a great chess comeback which is good news! :) :clap:
(I know you are playing some tournament and blitz chess but I am talking about a real comeback)!!!

littlesprout85
01-10-2010, 04:13 PM
meow (sproutys with short hair nows)

Hey FM Bills got a point thar, back in da day was GRand !!!! was able to play for fun and get some serious practice inz without a hard hit to da ratings :0

This is probably not wat FM Bill was pointing out but sprouty insight sees da lite =)

-Sprout85 =)