PDA

View Full Version : On-Line League/Championships for regional teams/players

billross
12-08-2009, 07:31 AM
The USA apparently runs an on-line league based on ICC. Is anyone interested in developing a similar program in NSW/Australia?
The recent NSW Country Championship was included in the recent Coffs Harbour weekender. Although threr were strong players and it was well fought, numbers were very low. The tyranny of distance strikes again. These tournaments could be more inclusive on-line - Team leagues may also be attractive. Maybe someone has tried this already? Check out the USA site

http://www.uschessleague.com/index.html
Bill

PS The Sixth Coffs Harbour Weekender was the last - with only 21 entrants and decreasing annually we felt it was no longer viable in terms of effort/finance.

Rincewind
12-08-2009, 07:46 AM
Sounds like a reasonable idea and there have been interstate junior events run online in the past.

The turn off for me is controlling computer/database cheating. Without having arbiters at every PC this is difficult to police and would discourage me from taking part. It may discourage others as well.

CameronD
12-08-2009, 09:36 AM
At World Chess Live they actually have rated USCF blitz tournaments that are rated by the national body. Personally, i think its a good idea, but the games should not be rated.

Denis_Jessop
12-08-2009, 04:59 PM
There must be some basis for on-line competitions in Australia particularly as the country is so big. Western Australians, especially, are otherwise largely isolated from the rest of the country. An attempt to run on-line junior inter-State teams competitions was made a few years ago but it lasted only a year or two, Graeme Gardiner, when ACF President, set up an ACF on-line chess playing facility similar to ICC etc., but it was not a success.

One of the problems with tournaments or teams competitions is that mentioned by Rincewind. It could be avoided by having all the team members at the one venue as was done in the telegraphic matches years ago but that defeats the purpose to some extent. It certainly would in individual tournaments.

DJ

paulb
02-09-2009, 02:57 AM
I'd be very interested in an online comp. Of course there is a problem with internet cheating, but I think there'd be plenty of people willing to play nevertheless. Life's imperfect, but it can still be fun.

It amazes me that in a country like Australia, so spread out, that there are not more online competitions. When I was in the ACF I ran a state teams comp online which was keenly contested and a lot of fun, with good games and relatively few dramas (won by the kiwis as i recall ... the shame of it!). I'd love to play in an online league against people I knew, even vaguely.

ER
02-09-2009, 11:06 AM
People I spoke to regarding online competitions are sceptical about computer program cheating!

aransandraseg
02-09-2009, 12:33 PM
It would be computer vs computer.:uhoh: :uhoh:

Muzzy
02-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Online chess servers such as ICC and Playchess use some kind of anti-cheating computer software detection system. When identified as using chess software the user is banned from the server.

I'm not sure how they do this but it's an idea to keep in mind. Perhaps we could use Playchess to run the tournament and it would be covered (to an extent) by their anti-cheating mechanism.

I know in Turkey that a Bank has sponsored all licenced/registered players so that you actually get a free playchess account if you a registered player of the national chess federation. Then you can go ahead and create rooms within the server and hold tournaments.

I don't see why this couldn't work for Australia....besides the fact that we might struggle to find a sponsor to get our playchess accounts...nevertheless I think it's a good initiative to promote chess locally!