PDA

View Full Version : Signs Of Times?

ER
06-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Three Major Australian Chess Tournaments faced the sad reality of having their Sponsiorships withdrawn.

SIO
]Freytag
Elwood Bendigo

All in one year!

Of what I heard in Adelaide, last weekend's Freytag, resulted in a loss of thousands of dollars!

Signs of times?

What does the future hold for sponsorship of major chess events in Australia?

CameronD
06-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Three Major Australian Chess Tournaments faced the sad reality of having their Sponsiorships withdrawn.

SIO
]Freytag
Elwood Bendigo

All in one year!

Of what I heard in Adelaide, last weekend's Freytag, resulted in a loss of thousands of dollars!

Signs of times?

Abetter question would be what bennefit do these organisations gains (net benefit) against the net cost of sponsorship and can they get better impact with other means.

So how can chess tournaments improve benefits to sponsors to gain their assistence.

MichaelBaron
07-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Abetter question would be what bennefit do these organisations gains (net benefit) against the net cost of sponsorship and can they get better impact with other means.

So how can chess tournaments improve benefits to sponsors to gain their assistence.

Yes! It is a very good question to ask. Some of the business people supporting chess are donors rather than sponsors they love the game and try to help it out even if they do not get much publicity in return. Ideally though, chess tournaments should be able to offer sponsoring organisations a lot of good publicity. I think it is about finding ways to demonstrating to companies how beneficial supporting a chess tournament could be to their image.

And unfortunately it is also true that at times of economic instability it is generally harder to obtain sponsorship.

Oepty
07-07-2009, 09:41 PM

SIO
]Freytag
Elwood Bendigo

All in one year!

Signs of times?

As I believe Bill's comment on the Freytag thread, "See you all in Adelaide next year for a bigger and better event with renewed sponsorship" means that there is already sponsorship for next years event the Freytag tournament is financally secure. SACA made the right decision, and a decision they should be commended for, in running this years tournament and covering the costs of the event. Well done Bill, George, Tristom and co.
Scott