PDA

View Full Version : Theatre Company Gala Fundraiser [Sydney]

jase
26-07-2004, 06:44 PM
I don't think I've ever posted outside of the chess threads, but hopefully the content of my post justifies my doing so at this time.

Last year I co-founded a theatre company [Fourth Floor Productions], and we have thrown our savings into our inaugural show, "Picasso at the Lapin Agile", by Steve Martin, which will play at the Bondi Pavillion throughout September.

We are having a fundraiser company launch next month; I'd love it if some of my friends in the chess community could book a table together. Maybe even come and see the show [I'll post show times,costs,booking info in a few weeks].

arosar
26-07-2004, 06:49 PM
Tell me when exactly, like performance times, etc. Costs?

AR

jase
26-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Amiel you replied so quickly that I was mid-edit :owned:

The show itself is on at the Bondi Pavillion during September. Tickets will be about $20.

I am hoping that some collection of yourself/Nick Kordahi/Ngan Koshnitsky/Ingela Eriksson/Greg Canfell/Kerry Stead might get a table together for the fundraiser or, failing that, get a group together to come and see the show.

Gandalf
27-07-2004, 12:28 AM
This sounds good, I'll be watching developments with interest. :)

jase
05-09-2004, 12:01 PM
My theatre production opens this week - if you love Steve Martin films then get along and see this cracking play. To secure the best seats in the house, email bookings@fourthfloor.com.au and quote my name as a reference. For example, if Amiel wanted to book 4 tickets for this Saturday night:

Name: Amiel Rosario
Tickets: 4
Performance: 8pm, Saturday 11th September
Booking Reference: Jase

Here is some background info on the play:

Steve Martin’s Picasso at the Lapin Agile in Bondi this September

Einstein and Picasso walk into a bar… The twentieth century had to start somewhere…

This September Fourth Floor Productions will be performing Steve Martin’s hilarious first and most famous stage comedy: Picasso at the Lapin Agile. As one would expect from the comic, the audience is taken on a witty and wacky journey of revolutionary ideas, eccentric characters and historical anomalies, all in one afternoon in 1904 at the Lapin Agile. Steve Martin’s Picasso at the Lapin Agile is an insightful and incisive comedy masking a poignant reflection on the 20th Century.

In a bar in turn-of-the-century Paris, Pablo Picasso and Albert Einstein are each in their mid-twenties and on the verge of changing the world. At the Lapin Agile they meet, drink and argue the art of physics and the physics of art. Through their hysterical debates we see that both created ways of looking at the world that were, in their own ways, beautiful.

Fourth Floor Productions is an emerging independent co-operative theatre company. Opening night is Thursday 9 September at 8.00pm. The play runs Tuesday to Saturday until Saturday 25 September, and is on at the Bondi Pavilion Theatre.

Tickets are also available from MCA ticketing and can be booked on 9645 1611 or at www.mca-tix.com (search for Picasso). Visit www.fourthfloor.com.au for more information

Alan Shore
05-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Sounds pretty cool.. I was contemplating visiting Sydney town end of the month but sadly can't now.. best of luck with it.. Steve Martin rules!

jase
06-09-2004, 11:42 AM
Thanks Bruce - it's such a clever piece of theatre that even if we ballsed it up it would still be a good show.

Ticket sales are going all right too which is as much a relief as anything.

Rhubarb
27-09-2004, 01:43 AM
I finally went to see Steve Martin's Picasso at the Lapin Agile on Saturday night at the Bondi Pavilion.

On the one hand I was glad I to be there on the final night with a packed theatre and honed performances, on the other hand I realised I wouldn't be able to see it again!

A really great performance by Jason as the quick-witted barman who is amongst the characters who perfectly juxtapose Einstein and Picasso as they entertainingly engage in the art vs. science wrestle.

Impressive and inspirational - thanks for encouraging me to go, Jase. :clap: :clap: :clap:

jase
27-09-2004, 03:03 PM
Thanks Greg. Appreciated you boys getting along to see the show. Relieved as much as excited that the season was such a success.