PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Melbourne Chess Club Under 2000 and under 1600

Bereaved
04-07-2009, 09:57 PM
Hello everyone,

My apologies to everyone playing chess regularly in metropolitan Melboure, and especially to the MCC members.

The details of this event were known weeks ago, and I have had no reason to justify my previous non-posting of them. I will not deny that they featured on the distributed calendar at the start of the year, but people live busy lives, and was more than remiss to fail to post this until now.

Ok, hard to self castigate further, so here are the details of this event

Under 2000 and Under 1600;
7 round ACF rated Swiss events

Note:Eligibility will be determined based on the June 2009 ACF rating list. Unrated players will be placed in a group at the arbiter's discretion.

Where: Melbourne Chess Club: 66 Leicester Street, Fitzroy 3065 (just off Brunswick Street; catch 112 West Preston Tram from Collins Street). Melways Reference: Map 2C, A5

Website: www.melbournechessclub.org ( note: this site is due to be launched very soon, so will provide the link now - The committee is very excited at the project and looks forward to feedback at the appropriate time )

Schedule of play

Monday 6th July entries close at 6.00 pm

Round 1 7.00 pm

Monday 13th July Round 2 7.00 pm

Monday 20th July Round 3 7.00 pm

Monday 27th July Round 4 7.00 pm

Monday 3rd August Round 5 7.00 pm

Monday 10th August Round 6 7.00 pm

Monday 17th August Round 7 7.00 pm

Time control: 60 minutes + 60 seconds\move

Entry fee: $50 Working, $40 Non-Working, less a $10 discount for MCC Members

Enquiries; Club rooms on: (03) 9416 3149 or
Arbiter Marcus Raine on (mob) 0423 327 335

Look forward to seeing lots of you there! please feel free to PM me, or reply in this thread prior to Monday, and I will ensure the organizers know that you are entering. Also happy to answer any questions you might have here.

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

Bereaved
06-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Hi everyone,

Just reminding interested parties that this starts tonight, and look forward to seeing you there!

Grant Szuveges
07-07-2009, 12:40 AM
Hi everyone

Players can still enter this tournament late. Due to the small number of participants, the two tournaments have been combined, so players under 1600 will still get to play against players over 1600 too. Contact us if you would like to play (see details in Malcolms original post). Its not too late...

Bereaved
08-07-2009, 02:01 AM
Hi everyone

Players can still enter this tournament late. Due to the small number of participants, the two tournaments have been combined, so players under 1600 will still get to play against players over 1600 too. Contact us if you would like to play (see details in Malcolms original post). Its not too late...

Hi everyone,

To add to Grant's post I will say this

The story is owing to the low turnout on the initial evening, we have combined the under 2000 and under 1600 into one event, so be mindful of this should you wish to be a late entry.

Here were the results of the first round, so you can get an idea of who is playing. I envisage that in the event of there being a large number of new entries that they will in turn all receive a postponed Round 1 game, so that will also get 7 games to play.

1. Papadinis, Jim VIC 1873
2. Fry, Peter VIC 1778
3. Kovacevic, Paul VIC 1745
4. Chmiel, Rad VIC 1732
5. McCart, Richard VIC 1732
6. McCart, Roger VIC 1570
7. Kaplan, Alex VIC 1522
8. Kostrzewa, Jake VIC 1457
9. Jose, Wilfredo VIC 1387
10. Knox, Alec VIC 1368
11. Louis, Andrew VIC 1354
12. Gavine, Ben VIC 1238
13. Niemann, Judd VIC 1215
14. Oraha, Jurgis

Results Round 1

1 Jim Papadinis 1873 [0] 0:1 Jake Kostrzewa 1457 [0]
2 Wilfredo Jose 1387 [0] 0:1 Peter Fry 1778 [0]
3 Paul Kovacevic 1745 [0] 1:0 Alec Knox 1368 [0]
4 Andrew Louis 1354 [0] 0:1 Rad Chmiel 1732 [0]
5 Richard McCart 1732 [0] 1:0 Ben Gavine 1238 [0]
6 Judd Niemann 1215 [0] .5:.5 Roger McCart 1570 [0]
7 Alex Kaplan 1522 [0] .5:.5 Jurgis Oraha [0]

To anyone who is considering playing please also still feel free to contact me about this event, as I would be happy to help you should you wish to play.

ER
09-07-2009, 02:33 AM
I entered this tournament last Tuesday, after a fantastic night of learning experience thanks to Grant and the other members of MCC!
I was told by Grant that most probably I would be paired against John Beckman who has also entered late.
Can I have confirmation of this as well as date and time of my game vs Beckman and my pairing for coming Monday?
I am one of those unfurtunate souls who, being members of the work force, have to organise their time schedule ahead.
This is a very important MCC event,
please keep up with the modern MCC directives!
MCC,
its 120 (!!!:clap: ) members,
aspired members to be,
deserve better!

disgustipated
09-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Hi Tasso - Glad you and John could join the tournament. Hopefully, we will get some more late entries.

ER
10-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Hi Tasso - Glad you and John could join the tournament. Hopefully, we will get some more late entries.
Hi Jud how are you? how are the girls? :) Glad to be there on Mondays and see you all again too! I was at the Club last Tuesday, fantastic changes and a most pleasant atmosphere! I was really happy with the whole thing! See you next Monday!

Bereaved
12-07-2009, 01:17 AM
Hello everyone,

here is a reprise of the round one results, and some other stuff

1 Jim Papadinis 1873 [0] 0:1 Jake Kostrzewa 1457 [0]
2 Wilfredo Jose 1387 [0] 0:1 Peter Fry 1778 [0]
3 Paul Kovacevic 1745 [0] 1:0 Alec Knox 1368 [0]
4 Andrew Louis 1354 [0] 0:1 Rad Chmiel 1732 [0]
5 Richard McCart 1732 [0] 1:0 Ben Gavine 1238 [0]
6 Judd Niemann 1215 [0] .5:.5 Roger McCart 1570 [0]
7 Alex Kaplan 1522 [0] .5:.5 Jurgis Oraha 1400 [0]
8 Elliott Renzies 1355 [0] : John Beckman 1488 [0]
9 Frank Lekkas 1500 [0] 1:0 BYE

Board 8 is to be played tomorrow at 3 pm at MCC, and the field has been evened out as a player had to withdraw owing to personal circumstances, so although the field appears as 17 players; there will be 8 pairings on Monday night.

Here is the list of players with a couple of alterations

1. Papadinis, Jim VIC 1873
2. Fry, Peter VIC 1778
3. Kovacevic, Paul VIC 1745
4. Chmiel, Rad VIC 1732
5. McCart, Richard VIC 1732
6. McCart, Roger VIC 1570
7. Kaplan, Alex VIC 1522
8. Lekkas, Frank 1500p
9. Beckman, John VIC 1488
10. Kostrzewa, Jake VIC 1457
11. Oraha, Jurgis 1400p
12. Jose, Wilfredo VIC 1387
13. Knox, Alec VIC 1368
14. Renzies, Elliott VIC 1355
15. Louis, Andrew VIC 1354
16. Gavine, Ben VIC 1238
17. Niemann, Judd VIC 1215

The decision was made to give the two currently unrated players provisional ratings, in order to make the pairings as accurate as possible. Games against players with provisional ratings will only count for rating if they establish a rating on this rating list

I will post the round 2 pairings upon my return from MCC tomorrow night

ER
12-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Please provide information in regards to MCC's policy on:

FIDE regulations effective from July 1 as provided by Bill Gletsos in the related thread]Article 6.6

a. Any player who arrives at the chessboard after the start of the session shall lose the game. Thus the default time is 0 minutes. The rules of a competition may specify otherwise.

b. If the rules of a competition specify a different default time, the following shall apply. If neither player is present initially, the player who has the white pieces shall lose all the time that elapses until he arrives, unless the rules of the competition specify or the arbiter decides otherwise.

Article 7.5

Bereaved
12-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Hi everyone,

here are the round 2 pairings

1 Peter Fry 1778 [1] : Richard McCart 1732 [1]
2 John Beckman 1488 [1] : Paul Kovacevic 1745 [1]
3 Rad Chmiel 1732 [1] : Frank Lekkas 1500 [1]
4 Jake Kostrzewa 1457 [1] : Alex Kaplan 1522 [.5]
5 Jurgis Oraha 1400 [.5] : Judd Niemann 1215 [.5]
6 Roger McCart 1570 [.5] : Jim Papadinis 1873 [0]
7 Elliott Renzies 1355 [0] : Wilfredo Jose 1387 [0]
8 Alec Knox 1368 [0] : Andrew Louis 1354 [0]

Will respond with the forfeiture notice soon,

Garvinator
12-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Please provide information in regards to MCC's policy on:
Since the rules of the competition have not specified a different forfeit time in advance, then the forfeit time is zero. That is how the rule reads and how it is meant to be implemented.

ER
12-07-2009, 10:31 PM
thanks for that Garvin, as a serial offender I must be very careful then! Cheers!

Bereaved
12-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Since the rules of the competition have not specified a different forfeit time in advance, then the forfeit time is zero. That is how the rule reads and how it is meant to be implemented.

Garvin,

please remember that this is an ACF only event ( not FIDE rated ), and as such only comes under the ACF's half hour forfeit time as a worse case scenario.

Also I would take it as poor faith to our members to institute a zero minute forfeit in an event where it has not been specified before the start of the event. I will quickly speak to some others on the committee, but imagine that we will be employing a 1 hour after the start of play forfeit in this event, as we have done for many, many years

Bereaved
12-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Garvin,

please remember that this is an ACF only event ( not FIDE rated ), and as such only comes under the ACF's half hour forfeit time as a worse case scenario.

Also I would take it as poor faith to our members to institute a zero minute forfeit in an event where it has not been specified before the start of the event. I will quickly speak to some others on the committee, but imagine that we will be employing a 1 hour after the start of play forfeit in this event, as we have done for many, many years

To all players in the event, and all observers of the event,

I have now spoken with Grant Szuveges, president, and can state that this event will be run with a 1 hour forfeit time after the start of play.

I can also state that all remaining classical rated tournaments at MCC this year, and for the forseeable future will be run as having a half hour forfeiture time, unless the members strongly indicate their displeasure at this.

ER
13-07-2009, 12:36 AM
Are byes awarded with 1 or 0.5 points in this tournament?

Bereaved
13-07-2009, 01:12 AM
Hi JAK,

I would imagine requested byes are 0.5, and byes for not being paired would be 1.0; however as Alec Knox is in the field as a floating sub, it is unlikely that people will be getting full point byes, as if someone requests a half point bye, then Alec would sit out the round to ensure that the numbers were even for that round

disgustipated
13-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Hello people. Its Judd here. I have been sick all weekend and took a day off work today. I won't be able to play tonight but would be happy to postpone.
Please accept my apologies.
Malcom - I have left a PM for you.

ER
13-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Hello people. Its Judd here. I have been sick all weekend and took a day off work today. I won't be able to play tonight but would be happy to postpone.
Please accept my apologies.
Malcom - I have left a PM for you.

Hi Judd, I hope you get well soon! Please give me a call if I can do anything!

ER
13-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Hi JAK,

I would imagine requested byes are 0.5, and byes for not being paired would be 1.0; however as Alec Knox is in the field as a floating sub, it is unlikely that people will be getting full point byes, as if someone requests a half point bye, then Alec would sit out the round to ensure that the numbers were even for that round

Oh ok thanks, but wait a minute! How come Alec was given a game vs Paul and Frank was awarded a full point?

disgustipated
13-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks J.A.K. If someone can let Jurghis know (I don't have his contact details) then it would be greatly appreciated.

ER
13-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks J.A.K. If someone can let Jurghis know (I don't have his contact details) then it would be greatly appreciated.
Have you tried to call Grant of Marcus??? If not let me know... Chances are that I (surprise surprise) will be there a bit late to let Jurghis know!

disgustipated
13-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Have you tried to call Grant of Marcus??? If not let me know... Chances are that I (surprise surprise) will be there a bit late to let Jurghis know!

Hi everyone. Looks like nobody got my message and the result is that I forfeit.
This is extremely disappointing as I have made all reasonable efforts to notify the organizers of the tournament:

1.Rang Marcus Raine's mobile and left a voicemail. However, apparently, he is not in possession of his mobile at the moment.
2.Left a message on the Chess Club's answering machine
3.left a PM for Malcom Pyke on this forum, as I saw he was online
4.Put a post on this thread.

If this doesn't constitute a reasonable attempt to notify people then I don't know what does. I don't like to inconvenience people, which is why I really wanted to contact my opponent prior to the game. I didn't have his contact details.

In the past I have graciously postponed games for opponents who didn't deserve it (ie didn't do any of the actions above).

All I can say is that the level of organisation of this event needs to be improved - so far the advertisement of the event on this forum was delayed,
and the attendance has been so poor that the U1600 and U2000 were combined. And then the (lack of) handling of my inabilty to attend is very unprofessional.
Please people- can we make more of an effort in the management of this tournament ?

Thank You,
Judd

ER
13-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Hi Judd
As it was expected I was a bit late tonight, so I run to my board. I did not have the chance to talk to Marcus till the end of my game when going to report my result I saw you having been forfeited.
I inquired with Marcus making a presentation of your case, and he he claimed that he had not access to his answering machine or something like that ...
I told him exactly what you are saying here but he concluded saying that your opponent could not make it another night!
I also inquired about bye points being awarded on a preferential basis and he said that he was going to discuss that with Grant Szuveges upon the Club President's return from a well deserved break.
There are points here to be discussed amongst which are rules and regulations of the tournament NOT being clearly stated in the beginning, or who is doing what etc. As for the failure to attract a respectable number of players in this very important tournamemt is simply lack of promotion.
Let's hope that things will improve in this dept too. However, I made it clear to Marcus tonight that if the dual value of bye points is not fixed I am going to protest my case loudly.
I wish you speedy recovery

Bereaved
14-07-2009, 12:56 AM
Hi everyone. Looks like nobody got my message and the result is that I forfeit.
This is extremely disappointing as I have made all reasonable efforts to notify the organizers of the tournament:

1.Rang Marcus Raine's mobile and left a voicemail. However, apparently, he is not in possession of his mobile at the moment.
2.Left a message on the Chess Club's answering machine
3.left a PM for Malcom Pyke on this forum, as I saw he was online
4.Put a post on this thread.

If this doesn't constitute a reasonable attempt to notify people then I don't know what does. I don't like to inconvenience people, which is why I really wanted to contact my opponent prior to the game. I didn't have his contact details.

In the past I have graciously postponed games for opponents who didn't deserve it (ie didn't do any of the actions above).

All I can say is that the level of organisation of this event needs to be improved - so far the advertisement of the event on this forum was delayed,
and the attendance has been so poor that the U1600 and U2000 were combined. And then the (lack of) handling of my inabilty to attend is very unprofessional.
Please people- can we make more of an effort in the management of this tournament ?

Thank You,
Judd

Hi Judd
firstly, please refer to my reply to your pm that I have only just received upon arriving home. I may have appeared online but was not, as my pm outlines.

I am sorry you are sick, it is no fun.

Yes there is much to be desired in the running of the event, no arguments.

Yes it was poorly organized / promoted, no argument.

Will we attempt to learn a powerful lesson from it and improve? Certainly.

I will post more, probably via pm to the relevant parties, when I know more myself.

disgustipated
14-07-2009, 08:24 PM
Thanks J.A.K. and Macavity,

Sorry my post was a bit heavy-handed. I was feeling sick and grumpy, so unfortunately this thread bore the brunt of it.:rolleyes:

I am feeling better today and have calmed down a bit. Nevertheless, I still stand by my point and think that somehow as a club we need to improve our communication methods. Perhaps the new MCC website might help towards this goal.

Anyways, thanks for the support.

Cheers,
Judd

Lekko
16-07-2009, 01:18 AM
Oh ok thanks, but wait a minute! How come Alec was given a game vs Paul and Frank was awarded a full point?
Shh let them give me the full point ;)

I assume it's because when my entry came in and the pairings for round 1 came up I hadn't been entered yet. Therefore Alec had a game and because I wasn't paired, I got the full point bye. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Garvinator
16-07-2009, 07:50 AM

I assume it's because when my entry came in and the pairings for round 1 came up I hadn't been entered yet. Therefore Alec had a game and because I wasn't paired, I got the full point bye. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Late entries are usually either given a half or zero point. To award a full point to a late entry could be seen as encouraging people to enter late, in the hope that they will get a free point.

ER
16-07-2009, 08:41 AM
lol no way son you are good enough to win the thing without divine intervention! :P

I assume it's because when my entry came in and the pairings for round 1 came up I hadn't been entered yet.

Then how come I (or John Beckman) weren't treated the same way? After all we did not enter simultaneously!

Therefore Alec had a game and because I wasn't paired, I got the full point bye. Correct me if I'm wrong

There is not such a thing as a distinction b/n half and full point byes. In my books situations like these offer nothing apart from diminishing the value of the tournament and the prestige of the Club.

By the way congratulations for your win vs Rad! :clap:

ER
16-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Good morning all
It is Thursday today, no announcements have yet been made about results of last Monday's round of the MCC U2000 and no pairings for next round have been posted.
Since I don't know who my oponent is, I just want to inform DOP and arbiter that I will be 1/2 hour late for my game on Monday.
I hope someone will see this and I will not be treated with the same unacceptable way Jud was treated in the previous round!

Oepty
16-07-2009, 11:13 AM

Are you saying you entered late, or you were accidently left out of the first round draw?
Scott

Lekko
16-07-2009, 04:08 PM
lol no way son you are good enough to win the thing without divine intervention! :P

Then how come I (or John Beckman) weren't treated the same way? After all we did not enter simultaneously!

There is not such a thing as a distinction b/n half and full point byes. In my books situations like these offer nothing apart from diminishing the value of the tournament and the prestige of the Club.

By the way congratulations for your win vs Rad! :clap:
Look, this is my first tournament other than the Vic U18, I have no idea how it works. I was just drawing assumptions.

Thanks, I am quite proud of the endgame victory :) (although the position that I achieved wasn't hard to win.

Lekko
16-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Are you saying you entered late, or you were accidently left out of the first round draw?
Scott
I entered late because I wasn't aware of the event as it wasn't advertised very well. I only became an MCC member a short while ago, and wasn't aware that this tournament would be playing out until Monday. So I talked to Macavity, Marcus and Grant and they put me in with a bye. I'm unaware as to whether I get the full point or not, but according to the pairings sheet, I have the full point.

Oepty
16-07-2009, 04:52 PM
I entered late because I wasn't aware of the event as it wasn't advertised very well. I only became an MCC member a short while ago, and wasn't aware that this tournament would be playing out until Monday. So I talked to Macavity, Marcus and Grant and they put me in with a bye. I'm unaware as to whether I get the full point or not, but according to the pairings sheet, I have the full point.

In this kind of case it would be very unusaul to give you a full point bye. Even if you would have got the bye anyway it is still normal to give only 1/2 a point.
Scott

ER
16-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Thanks, I am quite proud of the endgame victory :) (although the position that I achieved wasn't hard to win.
I know, you told me about it on Tuesday night and I was very pleased with your result and effort!:clap:
I thought it would be good to publish it here since you Frank, Ari and other juniors are living advertisements for MCC with your fantastic results and application as was Brendan not long ago!:clap: :clap:
Beating a player of Rad's strength (Rad is a very good friend of mine by the way) indicates that the Melbourne Chess Club's tradition of producing Champions will be continued! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lekko
16-07-2009, 05:35 PM
I know, you told me about it on Tuesday night and I was very pleased with your result and effort!:clap:
I thought it would be good to publish it here since you Frank, Ari and other juniors are living advertisements for MCC with your fantastic results and application as was Brendan not long ago!:clap: :clap:
Beating a player of Rad's strength (Rad is a very good friend of mine by the way) indicates that the Melbourne Chess Club's tradition of producing Champions will be continued! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I've come a long way, but there's still much much further to go if I want to achieve the level of success you've outlined in this post :) I appreciate the support.

Bereaved
17-07-2009, 01:46 AM
Hello everyone,

These are the results that I know from last Monday.

They are all the results barring one board.

I have known them since Tuesday early AM.

I had been holding a vain hope that someone was going to let me know of the last unverified result before now, the game in question was definitely played

Round 2 results

1 Peter Fry 1778 [1] : Richard McCart 1732 [1]
2 John Beckman 1488 [1] .5:.5 Paul Kovacevic 1745 [1]
3 Rad Chmiel 1732 [1] 0:1 Frank Lekkas 1500 [1]
4 Jake Kostrzewa 1457 [1] .5:.5 Alex Kaplan 1522 [.5]
5 Jurgis Oraha 1400 [.5] +:- Judd Niemann 1215 [.5]
6 Roger McCart 1570 [.5] 0:1 Jim Papadinis 1873 [0]
7 Elliott Renzies 1355 [0] 1:0 Wilfredo Jose 1387 [0]
8 Alec Knox 1368 [0] 1:0 Andrew Louis 1354 [0]

As regards the bolded result, I don't know what has happened in regard to this issue, but will be exploring it further tomorrow. The Board 1 game was played, just was unable to ascertain the result on the night of Monday, and no one as I have said has informed me of it yet.

JAK, in regards to half an hour late, should be fine, don't know who you are playing yet, will talk to Marcus, you can if you wish too. He may be the better person to liaise for you with your opponent to be.

Let me clarify the roles of Marcus and I.

Marcus is the Arbiter, or D.O.P.

I am producing the pairings on my computer. This arrangement was reached through discussion between Marcus and I.

This is the end of this transmission, hope to make a better one next time

ER
17-07-2009, 09:49 AM
JAK, in regards to half an hour late, should be fine, don't know who you are playing yet, will talk to Marcus, you can if you wish too. He may be the better person to liaise for you with your opponent to be.

Let me clarify the roles of Marcus and I.

Marcus is the Arbiter, or D.O.P.

I am producing the pairings on my computer. This arrangement was reached through discussion between Marcus and I.

This is the end of this transmission, hope to make a better one next time

Thanks Mac, I hope I will be able to see Marcus tonight at Box Hill CC so he might be able to clarify the situation!

Bereaved
19-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Hello everyone,

Here are the round 3 pairings

1 Frank Lekkas 1500 [2] : Peter Fry 1778 [2]
2 Paul Kovacevic 1745 [1.5] : Jake Kostrzewa 1457 [1.5]
3 Jurgis Oraha 1400 [1.5] : John Beckman 1488 [1.5]
4 Jim Papadinis 1873 [1] : Alec Knox 1368 [1]
5 Alex Kaplan 1522 [1] : Rad Chmiel 1732 [1]
6 Richard McCart 1732 [1] : Elliott Renzies 1355 [1]
7 Wilfredo Jose 1387 [0] : Roger McCart 1570 [.5]
8 Andrew Louis 1354 [0] : Judd Niemann 1215 [.5]

Bereaved
22-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Hello everyone,

The results of all boards bar one from last Monday are known, and so here are those results, and then three sets of conjectured Round 4 pairings based on the as yet unplayed game on board 14. I believe that this game is scheduled to be played on Thursday evening

Results Round 3

7 Frank Lekkas 1500 [2] 1:0 Peter Fry 1778 [2]
8 Paul Kovacevic 1745 [1.5] 1:0 Jake Kostrzewa 1457 [1.5]
9 Jurgis Oraha 1400 [1.5] 0:1 John Beckman 1488 [1.5]
10 Jim Papadinis 1873 [1] 1:0 Alec Knox 1368 [1]
11 Alex Kaplan 1522 [1] .5:.5 Rad Chmiel 1732 [1]
12 Richard McCart 1732 [1] 1:0 Elliott Renzies 1355 [1]
13 Wilfredo Jose 1387 [0] 0:1 Roger McCart 1570 [.5]
14 Andrew Louis 1354 [0] : Judd Niemann 1215 [.5]

And the conjectured Round 4 pairings

If Andrew wins

7 John Beckman 1488 [2.5] : Frank Lekkas 1500 [3]
8 Peter Fry 1778 [2] : Paul Kovacevic 1745 [2.5]
9 Richard McCart 1732 [2] : Jim Papadinis 1873 [2]
10 Roger McCart 1570 [1.5] : Alex Kaplan 1522 [1.5]
11 Jake Kostrzewa 1457 [1.5] : Jurgis Oraha 1400 [1.5]
12 Rad Chmiel 1732 [1.5] : Alec Knox 1368 [1]
13 Elliott Renzies 1355 [1] : Andrew Louis 1354 [1]
14 Judd Niemann 1215 [.5] : Wilfredo Jose 1387 [0]

If it is a draw

13 Judd Niemann 1215 [1] : Elliott Renzies 1355 [1]
14 Wilfredo Jose 1387 [0] : Andrew Louis 1354 [.5]

If Judd wins

10 Rad Chmiel 1732 [1.5] : Jake Kostrzewa 1457 [1.5]
11 Roger McCart 1570 [1.5] : Jurgis Oraha 1400 [1.5]
12 Judd Niemann 1215 [1.5] : Alex Kaplan 1522 [1.5]
13 Alec Knox 1368 [1] : Elliott Renzies 1355 [1]
14 Andrew Louis 1354 [0] : Wilfredo Jose 1387 [0]

Bereaved
25-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Hello everyone,

I have finally managed to ascertain what the result was of the last game for Round 3, and as such can confirm the correct set of Round 4 pairings, which are

Round 4 pairings

13 Elliott Renzies 1355 [1] : Andrew Louis 1354 [1]
14 Judd Niemann 1215 [.5] : Wilfredo Jose 1387 [0]

PS in case anyone was curious, the reason that the board numbers are now starting at 7 is to avoid confusion with the Raipalis Memorial which has play on every night of the under 2000

Bereaved
28-07-2009, 02:51 AM
Hello everyone,

Results Round 4

7 John Beckman 1488 [2.5] .5:.5 Frank Lekkas 1500 [3]
8 Peter Fry 1778 [2] 0:1 Paul Kovacevic 1745 [2.5]
9 Richard McCart 1732 [2] 0:1 Jim Papadinis 1873 [2]
10 Roger McCart 1570 [1.5] 1:0 Alex Kaplan 1522 [1.5]
11 Jake Kostrzewa 1457 [1.5] 0:1 Jurgis Oraha 1400 [1.5]
12 Rad Chmiel 1732 [1.5] 1:0 Alec Knox 1368 [1]
13 Elliott Renzies 1355 [1] 1:0 Andrew Louis 1354 [1]
14 Judd Niemann 1215 [.5] 1:0 Wilfredo Jose 1387 [0]

Pairings Round 5

7 Frank Lekkas 1500 [3.5] : Paul Kovacevic 1745 [3.5]
8 Jim Papadinis 1873 [3] : John Beckman 1488 [3]
9 Jurgis Oraha 1400 [2.5] : Rad Chmiel 1732 [2.5]
10 Roger McCart 1570 [2.5] : Richard McCart 1732 [2]
11 Peter Fry 1778 [2] : Elliott Renzies 1355 [2]
12 Alex Kaplan 1522 [1.5] : Judd Niemann 1215 [1.5]
13 Andrew Louis 1354 [1] : Jake Kostrzewa 1457 [1.5]
14 Alec Knox 1368 [1] : Wilfredo Jose 1387 [0]

Bereaved
05-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Hello everyone,

Here are the results of play lst Monday ,and the pairings for next Monday, and a current crosstable

Results Round 5

7 Frank Lekkas 1500 [3.5] 0:1 Paul Kovacevic 1745 [3.5]
8 Jim Papadinis 1873 [3] 1:0 John Beckman 1488 [3]
9 Jurgis Oraha 1400 [2.5] 0:1 Rad Chmiel 1732 [2.5]
10 Roger McCart 1570 [2.5] 1:0 Richard McCart 1732 [2]
11 Peter Fry 1778 [2] 1:0 Elliott Renzies 1355 [2]
12 Alex Kaplan 1522 [1.5] 1:0 Judd Niemann 1215 [1.5]
13 Andrew Louis 1354 [1] 0:1 Jake Kostrzewa 1457 [1.5]
14 Alec Knox 1368 [1] 1:0 Wilfredo Jose 1387 [0]

Pairings Round 6

7 Paul Kovacevic 1745 [4.5] : Jim Papadinis 1873 [4]
8 Rad Chmiel 1732 [3.5] : Roger McCart 1570 [3.5]
9 Jake Kostrzewa 1457 [2.5] : Frank Lekkas 1500 [3.5]
10 John Beckman 1488 [3] : Peter Fry 1778 [3]
11 Alec Knox 1368 [2] : Alex Kaplan 1522 [2.5]
12 Jurgis Oraha 1400 [2.5] : Elliott Renzies 1355 [2]
13 Judd Niemann 1215 [1.5] : Richard McCart 1732 [2]
14 Wilfredo Jose 1387 [0] : Andrew Louis 1354 [1]

Current Crosstable in score order

No Name Rtg Loc Total 1 2 3 4 5 6

1 Paul Kovacevic 1745 4.5 12:W 6:D 8:W 7:W 3:W 2:
2 Jim Papadinis 1873 4 8:L 4:W 12:W 11:W 6:W 1:
3 Frank Lekkas 1500 3.5 0:W 5:W 7:W 6:D 1:L 8:
4 Roger McCart 1570 3.5 14:D 2:L 16:W 10:W 11:W 5:
5 Rad Chmiel 1732 3.5 15:W 3:L 10:D 12:W 9:W 4:
6 John Beckman 1488 3 13:W 1:D 9:W 3:D 2:L 7:
7 Peter Fry 1778 3 16:W 11:W 3:L 1:L 13:W 6:
8 Jake Kostrzewa 1457 2.5 2:W 10:D 1:L 9:L 15:W 3:
9 Jurgis Oraha 1400 2.5 10:D 14:+ 6:L 8:W 5:L 13:
10 Alex Kaplan 1522 2.5 9:D 8:D 5:D 4:L 14:W 12:
11 Richard McCart 1732 2 17:W 7:L 13:W 2:L 4:L 14:
12 Alec Knox 1368 2 1:L 15:W 2:L 5:L 16:W 10:
13 Elliott Renzies 1355 2 6:L 16:W 11:L 15:W 7:L 9:
14 Judd Niemann 1215 1.5 4:D 9:- 15:L 16:W 10:L 11:
15 Andrew Louis 1354 1 5:L 12:L 14:W 13:L 8:L 16:
16 Wilfredo Jose 1387 0 7:L 13:L 4:L 14:L 12:L 15:
17 Ben Gavine 1238 0 11:L 0: 0: 0: 0: 0:

Bereaved
12-08-2009, 02:06 AM
Hello everyone,

These were the round 6 results

7 Paul Kovacevic 1745 [4.5] .5:.5 Jim Papadinis 1873 [4]
8 Rad Chmiel 1732 [3.5] 1:0 Roger McCart 1570 [3.5]
9 Jake Kostrzewa 1457 [2.5] 0:1 Frank Lekkas 1500 [3.5]
10 John Beckman 1488 [3] 0:1 Peter Fry 1778 [3]
11 Alec Knox 1368 [2] 0:1 Alex Kaplan 1522 [2.5]
12 Jurgis Oraha 1400 [2.5] 0:1 Elliott Renzies 1355 [2]
13 Judd Niemann 1215 [1.5] 0:1 Richard McCart 1732 [2]
14 Wilfredo Jose 1387 [0] -:+ Andrew Louis 1354 [1]

Here are the final round pairings for this event

7 Paul Kovacevic 1745 [5] : Rad Chmiel 1732 [4.5]
8 Frank Lekkas 1500 [4.5] : Jim Papadinis 1873 [4.5]
9 Peter Fry 1778 [4] : Roger McCart 1570 [3.5]
10 Elliott Renzies 1355 [3] : Alex Kaplan 1522 [3.5]
11 Richard McCart 1732 [3] : John Beckman 1488 [3]
12 Andrew Louis 1354 [2] : Jurgis Oraha 1400 [2.5]
13 Wilfredo Jose 1387 [0] : Jake Kostrzewa 1457 [2.5]
14 Judd Niemann 1215 [1.5] : Alec Knox 1368 [2]

Bereaved
18-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Hello everyone,

My apologies on the lateness of this post, but I was not at the club last night so I didn't get the results until a little earlier this evening. So here are the round 7 results

7 Paul Kovacevic 1745 [5] .5:.5 Rad Chmiel 1732 [4.5]
8 Frank Lekkas 1500 [4.5] 0:1 Jim Papadinis 1873 [4.5]
9 Peter Fry 1778 [4] .5:.5 Roger McCart 1570 [3.5]
10 Elliott Renzies 1355 [3] 0:1 Alex Kaplan 1522 [3.5]
11 Richard McCart 1732 [3] 0:1 John Beckman 1488 [3]
12 Andrew Louis 1354 [2] .5:.5 Jurgis Oraha 1400 [2.5]
13 Wilfredo Jose 1387 [0] 0:1 Jake Kostrzewa 1457 [2.5]
14 Judd Niemann 1215 [1.5] P : P Alec Knox 1368 [2]

The final standings ( NB the two bolded players in the below list share an under 1600 prize, I believe, as although the two fields were amalgamated, I believe that there was still an intention to give out prizes in both rating groups )

1-2 Paul Kovacevic 1745 5.5
Jim Papadinis 1873 5.5
3 Rad Chmiel 1732 5
4-6 Frank Lekkas 1500 4.5
Peter Fry 1778 4.5
Alex Kaplan 1522 4.5
7-8 John Beckman 1488 4
Roger McCart 1570 4
9 Jake Kostrzewa 1457 3.5
10-12 Richard McCart 1732 3
Jurgis Oraha 1400 3
Elliott Renzies 1355 3
13 Andrew Louis 1354 2.5
14 Alec Knox 1368 2
15 Judd Niemann 1215 1.5
16-17 Wilfredo Jose 1387 0
Ben Gavine 1238 0

and a crosstable in start order

No Name Loc Total 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

1. Jim Papadinis 1873 5.5 10:L 6:W 13:W 5:W 9:W 3:D 8:W
2. Peter Fry 1778 4.5 12:W 5:W 8:L 3:L 14:W 9:W 6:D
3. Paul Kovacevic 1745 5.5 13:W 9:D 10:W 2:W 8:W 1:D 4:D
4. Rad Chmiel 1732 5 15:W 8:L 7:D 13:W 11:W 6:W 3:D
5. Richard McCart 1732 3 16:W 2:L 14:W 1:L 6:L 17:W 9:L
6. Roger McCart 1570 4 17:D 1:L 12:W 7:W 5:W 4:L 2:D
7. Alex Kaplan 1522 4.5 11:D 10:D 4:D 6:L 17:W 13:W 14:W
8. Frank Lekkas 1500 4.5 :W 4:W 2:W 9:D 3:L 10:W 1:L
9. John Beckman 1488 4 14:W 3:D 11:W 8:D 1:L 2:L 5:W
10. Jake Kostrzewa 1457 3.5 1:W 7:D 3:L 11:L 15:W 8:L 12:W
11. Jurgis Oraha 1400 3 7:D 17:+ 9:L 10:W 4:L 14:L 15:D
12. Wilfredo Jose 1387 0 2:L 14:L 6:L 17:L 13:L 15:- 10:L
13. Alec Knox 1368 2 3:L 15:W 1:L 4:L 12:W 7:L 17:
14. Elliott Renzies 1355 3 9:L 12:W 5:L 15:W 2:L 11:W 7:L
15. Andrew Louis 1354 2.5 4:L 13:L 17:W 14:L 10:L 12:+ 11:D
16. Ben Gavine 1238 0 5:L : : : : : :
17. Judd Niemann 1215 1.5 6:D 11:- 15:L 12:W 7:L 5:L 13:

and a crosstable in score order

No Name Loc Total 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

1 Paul Kovacevic 1745 5.5 14:W 7:D 9:W 5:W 4:W 2:D 3:D
2 Jim Papadinis 1873 5.5 9:L 8:W 14:W 10:W 7:W 1:D 4:W
3 Rad Chmiel 1732 5 13:W 4:L 6:D 14:W 11:W 8:W 1:D
4 Frank Lekkas 1500 4.5 0:W 3:W 5:W 7:D 1:L 9:W 2:L
5 Peter Fry 1778 4.5 16:W 10:W 4:L 1:L 12:W 7:W 8:D
6 Alex Kaplan 1522 4.5 11:D 9:D 3:D 8:L 15:W 14:W 12:W
7 John Beckman 1488 4 12:W 1:D 11:W 4:D 2:L 5:L 10:W
8 Roger McCart 1570 4 15:D 2:L 16:W 6:W 10:W 3:L 5:D
9 Jake Kostrzewa 1457 3.5 2:W 6:D 1:L 11:L 13:W 4:L 16:W
10 Richard McCart 1732 3 17:W 5:L 12:W 2:L 8:L 15:W 7:L
11 Jurgis Oraha 1400 3 6:D 15:+ 7:L 9:W 3:L 12:L 13:D
12 Elliott Renzies 1355 3 7:L 16:W 10:L 13:W 5:L 11:W 6:L
13 Andrew Louis 1354 2.5 3:L 14:L 15:W 12:L 9:L 16:+ 11:D
14 Alec Knox 1368 2 1:L 13:W 2:L 3:L 16:W 6:L 15:
15 Judd Niemann 1215 1.5 8:D 11:- 13:L 16:W 6:L 10:L 14:
16 Wilfredo Jose 1387 0 5:L 12:L 8:L 15:L 14:L 13:- 9:L
17 Ben Gavine 1238 0 10:L 0: 0: 0: 0: 0: 0:

A reminder that the next Melbourne Monday night event, The Melbourne Chess Club Open is due to start on the 31st of August. All the details, and enquiries can be directed through the main thread about the event

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=10471

Hope to see many of you there, and will keep you up to date about entries as I learn of them

Bereaved
18-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Hi everyone,

Just a quick reprise as regards the prize situation

It has been decided amongst the committee that the event shall have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prizes for both Under 2000, and Under 1600.

I am puzzled, and a bit abashed that I did not realize that this was still to be sorted out in regard to this event. My apologies to the participants

here is the list of standings again, with the prize winners in each group highlighted

1-2 Paul Kovacevic 1745 5.5 = 1st Under 2000
Jim Papadinis 1873 5.5 = 1st Under 2000
3 Rad Chmiel 1732 5 3rd Under 2000
4-6 Frank Lekkas 1500 4.5 = 1st Under 1600
Peter Fry 1778 4.5
Alex Kaplan 1522 4.5 = 1st Under 1600
7-8 John Beckman 1488 4 = 3rd Under 1600
Roger McCart 1570 4 = 3rd Under 1600
9 Jake Kostrzewa 1457 3.5
10-12 Richard McCart 1732 3
Jurgis Oraha 1400 3
Elliott Renzies 1355 3
13 Andrew Louis 1354 2.5
14 Alec Knox 1368 2
15 Judd Niemann 1215 1.5
16-17 Wilfredo Jose 1387 0
Ben Gavine 1238 0

Bill Gletsos
20-08-2009, 12:41 AM
Can these events please be submitted to the CV Ratings Officer for rating ASAP.

Lekko
23-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Anyone know what the prizes are?

Bereaved
23-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Hi HBK,

The prizes in each group were 1st $90, 2nd $75, and 3rd $50....which I guess means you receive something very like $82.50

Hope that answers your question